Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. This morning, I looked at the news when I do every morning, first thing, grab the coffee, check out what's going on in the news. And I see Trump's rally at Madison Square Garden. I see Harris going after Trump for being senile, and I was like, not today, Satan. And I started reading an article about a man in Norway who was thrown into a well in eleven fifty seven.
Speaker 2: Is this a fairy tale or something?
Speaker 1: Well, it ends with a dead man in a well, and it was this saga that was told, this Norse saga that was told generation after generation about the dead man and the well. And did it really happen? Well, they found his body?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: And I read, Yeah, I read like a five page article on that this morning. To avoid any sort of election news, I've just had it with people out at each other's throats.
Speaker 3: And now you're on Amazon looking for some sort of sweatshirt or T shirt or some way to commemorate the Norse god of well diving.
Speaker 1: Not that far yet. I haven't gone that far by the way. I saw a headline today that said, don't cancel the Washington Post, cancel Amazon Prime, Like that's the way to stick it to Bezos.
Speaker 3: I am amazed that there is such a belief that newspapers had to do that.
Speaker 1: Nobody cares what the newspapers were going to say in terms of an endorsement. So everyone already knows who they were going to endorse, right, and isn't it.
Speaker 3: I worry about people who have that outsized.
Speaker 2: Idea of their own importance.
Speaker 1: They give the newspaper more weight than it deserves.
Speaker 3: Yes, and their individual column I mean, these people are like, I will never work for this paper again. I understood, unnamed person who you will not remember.
Speaker 1: I understand the editorial boards are big parts of these big papers. But let's get back to what your purpose is, right. Your purpose is not to shape the news. It's to spread the news, not shape it. That's not your sole function as a newspaper.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you work in a newsroom, actually as one of the writers, one of the reporters, you're separated from the editorial pages allegedly, right. I mean, they're supposed to be a pretty hard wall between editorial work and the work that's done in the newsroom. But we've seen that blurred so much in the last several years, that the idea that so many people would care whether the Washington Post endorsed Kamala Harris or not or the La Times. I mean, it's echoed here in our own local paper, the same thing where the owner of the paper spiked that whole thing and said, well, if you guys aren't going to do the way you aren't going to do it the way I want you to, then we're not going to do an endorsement.
Speaker 1: You know, I know people who follow John and Ken's voter I know people that would look forward to that because I would get the emails when I worked on their show. Hey, when are John and Ken going to publish their voter guide? I'm just wondering. I don't know if I know anybody who's waiting to see what the Washington Post endorses to decide how they're going to vote. It's a very impersonal publication, as opposed to John and Ken, which is more personal their local that you listen to them every day, you know them. You don't know who the Washington Post editorial board members are, so anyway, I was a happy victory Monday.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was actually a great game last night.
Speaker 1: Great game last night. Dak Prescott makes more per quarter than brock Party makes in a year. That's a true story.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. That is an incredible statistic.
Speaker 1: I was at the Chargers game halftime in the tunnel yesterday and I'm eating my corn chips because that's what I do. One is wont to do gatorading cornshew, And one of the bodies, Oh, it's such a this weekend. Especially what a temple it was. It was Puerto Rico, according to the Trump rally, Temple of Doom. Oh my goodness, Yes, the Temple of Doom, perfectly put. But no, So I'm eating my corn chips and gatorade and one of the ball boys comes through and he goes, hey, I really appreciate what you said last week about and con trails off and I go about what he goes about Grizzly three ninety nine, like he remembered that brought it up mid game. Uh see, Grizzly three ninety nine changed lines. I underestimated that the news about Grizzly three ninety nine keeps rolling on the news cycle. Is not over.
Speaker 2: I see headlines.
Speaker 3: Since you said that, I've seen a headline every single day me too. The mythology the history of Bear three ninety nine, and I feel like it's been pointed directly.
Speaker 2: It has.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what a subluxation is, but apparently it's a part martially dislocated shoulder That show sounds medical. They have said he is expected to play in tonight's game. All signs point to him playing in tonight's game. I don't know if it's one of those things where it pops out and pops back in. But he's not pitching, so that's good. And actually with the left shoulder, it's behind him when he's swinging the bat, so it's I mean, he's gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Western Bagel for bringing us Dodger blue bagels this morning, nice and fresh and delicious.
Speaker 2: Dodger blue Bagel.
Speaker 1: Are my teeth blue?
Speaker 2: No? Not at all? Oh cool, we met, We met the bagel.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about the story with Steve Sachs.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's such a nice guy. This is such a funny story.
Speaker 3: He's like such a weird it's great. But the bagel. Mascot is here for Western Bagel. What was the name Andy, Brad? Brad, Brad the bagel And Brad's one of the big, you know, fuzzy headed, don't talk a lot kind of mascot's walking around here.
Speaker 1: And his head is a bagel.
Speaker 2: Head is a bagel?
Speaker 3: No, it's no body's a bag Oh and the head was just a head.
Speaker 1: Oh, I misremembered, Brad.
Speaker 3: They take him into go say hi to Steve Sacks and Tim Kate's doing the morning show for Dodgers World Series, and Saxy.
Speaker 1: Just well, so it started with as anyone ever said, you know, do you just sit around all day? And he does a little circle thing with his finger because his body's a bagel or what have you, and the bagel kind of chuckles, Brod the begel chuckles, and then he goes, does anyone ever do this? And he kicks the mascot. Yeah, it kicks the maskot. And the best part is is the mascot, Brad the bagel is like a twenty year old college student female, which you don't know that.
Speaker 2: You don't know that, but anyone ever do this? Pow, Saxy.
Speaker 3: I think the head didn't fall off all right, So I've been getting a lot of these in the last couple of days.
Speaker 1: That doesn't look good.
Speaker 3: It's just a random text message, random phone, or a random number.
Speaker 1: I got a random six to one to nine text message last week.
Speaker 2: And I think I got about four of these over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Now, this is this is the thing too, one of the things that I've been a work else because I had it in my pocket for an hour over on.
Speaker 2: Saturday trying to mess with it.
Speaker 3: The FBI has already said, this is me being I don't know if it's a conspiracy theorist or just being careful or just being suspicious. The FBI says Russian actors were behind a video that would making its way around the internet over the weekend that showed mail in ballots for Donald Trump that were being burned in Pennsylvania. Now it was immediately taken down because the local elections officials said, those aren't even those aren't even our ballots. They're the fake ballots that they used for this little movie. Don't even match the real ballots that were actually using. So that was discredited right right away. And the FBI says that Russia did that. We have to be on high alert for that for this next week, just in terms of stuff like that that's just going to be propagated and thrown into the mix.
Speaker 2: That's not going to be true.
Speaker 1: I've gotten more texts election related texts than ever, and I don't. I don't. I've never given to a campaign. I've never given to a candidate, never once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, and I don't know. Listen, this could just be something silly.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is, but it's one of those things that is a constant reminder. I think, thankfully, I got to be careful, Like I think we all have to be careful.
Speaker 1: I think that's the number from like grinder or something. Really No, but that does I mean hello, happy face Like that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's weird, and they're all like that. I mean, that's the It's the same one over and over again. The numbers are different, interesting, but the message itself.
Speaker 1: Is that a happy face or an unhappy face.
Speaker 2: Depends on how you hold your phone.
Speaker 3: Tony Hinchcliffe is a stand up comedian who has made his name as one of the the boy I've never heard of him, the sharper tongues. I've mentioned him before, on what you watch on Wednesday, because some of his stuff is so bad I mean bad in that he does not care who he offends and he goes after everyone. He's one of those guys. It's a very sharp tongue, very smart. He actually has a new not new, but it's a podcast called kill Tony and he has some of you know, huge, huge comedians on there. And he has, you know, kind of ground out his own his own career long time at the comedy store here in LA before he moved to Austin and does a lot of stuff based out of Austin now. So he's the one who made the comment. At that Madison Square Garden rally, a lot going on.
Speaker 5: Like I don't know if you guys know this, but there's literally a floating island of garbage in the middle of the ocean right now. Yeah, I think it's called Puerto Rico. Okay, all right, okay, we're getting there again. Normally I don't follow the national anthem.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 3: Ah, it's a hard crowd, right, he's doing this. There were people there who loved his jokes. He went after a guy wearing a do rag in the front row and made some comment about carving watermelons with him. I mean, that's the kind of guy he is. Now, not to excuse it, I think it was a stupid comment. It's another one of those unforced errors for the Trump campaign. Why have a guy who you know is going to do that other than two double bird to the entire world.
Speaker 2: You guys don't get to control what we say.
Speaker 1: Is he a Boston guy? Because I see he was one of the comedians at the Tom Brady Roast, So that may be why.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Boston guy, I don't know if.
Speaker 1: It was, or a New England guy for that matter, maybe you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he was one of the guys.
Speaker 3: He was the one who went after Kim Kardashian at the Tom Brady Roast and said things that I couldn't even allude to on the air here because they were so incredibly distasteful, and some people think it's really funny to be very distasteful. That's the thing is, why would you invite a guy like that to the to a rally like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has a storied history of being offensive, not just slightly racist, racist both feet both.
Speaker 2: Underwater as it says.
Speaker 3: The most racist things that he can to get a rise out of people.
Speaker 1: Apparently he had opened for Joe Rogan at a time.
Speaker 3: M hm, he got he got in trouble. One of the recent times that he got in trouble was a an Asian comedian had come up right before him, and he made some comment about that guy and said a couple of words that also we're not going to say, but those that type of stuff lit c h I and yes, an a case somewhere, but it he does it. That's how he gets his humor, That's how he gets his laugh is he offends everyone. The other aspect of this that I didn't quite understand was the oh my god, oh wow offensive right my reading some of the things that he has said. Yes, the other thing that I didn't quite get was this infatuation with Madison Square Garden that was once the site of a Nazi.
Speaker 1: Rally in nineteen thirty nine.
Speaker 3: How many, First of all, how many events are at Madison Square Garden all the time? Are they all the New York Rangers games, all the New York Knicks games. Are they all now considered Nazis because of that?
Speaker 2: Or how about this? The four Celtics.
Speaker 1: Were the last team to have a black player the.
Speaker 2: Four.
Speaker 3: I think it's for Democratic national conventions that have been held at the Madison Square.
Speaker 2: Garden, how New York.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're not going to get Yeah. The coverage on this was apoplectic. It was so over the top, and they were trying. It was almost like the media is trying to make a bigger deal out of it, like this, this is the October Surprise is a racist rally, reminding everyone of Hitler. And when you go that far, when you doth protest too much, it makes me distaste you. It makes me not like what I feel. There was something I heard about the Bob Woodward book war. Everything that came out from the media was that Trump gave putin COVID tests under the table. Nowhere was it reported that also in the book. In June of twenty twenty three, Biden was at a Democratic event, did not finish a sentence and said the same story three times, the same story, the same way, three times. Nowhere did anyone report that that came out in the Bob Woodward book. It's so biased. It's making me angry. It's having the reverse reaction. I think of what they want from independent voters.
Speaker 3: Well, and if you think that that guy is a clown and that lineup of speakers that he had with Rudy Giuliani and Elena, then don't add this serious, ominous music every time you talk, because then you're if you think he's a clown, treat him like a clown. Don't treat him as this danger if democracy or whatever threat that you think you're well.
Speaker 1: I think they think he's both that he's a clown, he's a horrible person, and he's going to ruin America.
Speaker 2: We're going to do this story the next hour.
Speaker 3: NASA astronauts aboard the International Space Station have been told to get ready for an urgent evacuation of what of the space the space station, not one of the astronauts on them, because there's leaks.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not good.
Speaker 3: It is not good at all, and they're saying the leaks are getting worse.
Speaker 2: So the idea of.
Speaker 3: So how do you get out right away? I believe I don't know if there is one right now. There's usually a capsule attached to the.
Speaker 1: Space What kind of condition is that thing in?
Speaker 3: Well, that's part of the problem is that it's the Russian side that's apparently leaky because they've been told everybody go to the American side when you're just hanging out, hang out in the American side because of the event that's the Russians, in the event that they need to shut that hatch.
Speaker 1: And how many people can they fit in there, because there was like there's like eight people up there right now.
Speaker 4: There's seven. Now there were eleven last week. Yeah, that four came home on Friday.
Speaker 3: Hey, you might want to drop a dime and ask your buddy up there, what are they going to do when they got.
Speaker 2: To get out?
Speaker 4: Amy, Well, you know, I was thinking about that. I'm like, I wonder if we can get back in touch with Nick. But if you read into the story, though, they say the leaks have been going on for years, they're just getting worse, and it doesn't sound like there's going to be any massive surprise evacuation.
Speaker 1: They just need to be ready to get out just in case.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff that hits that complex. The big it's a big thing.
Speaker 1: It's the size of a football field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a lot of stuff that's flying around hitting that stuff on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: Well, dozens of people Willa met at the Snoqualmie Valley Alliance Church over the weekend to try and process the tragic losses of five members of a family in Fall City there outside of Seattle, found dead in their home, killed by the fifteen year old son. He's accused of killing his parents, three of his siblings, and trying to kill another sibling, a sister who now we're learning played dead. He shot her while she was in a bunk bed. She played dead and then was able to escape to a neighbor's house through the window.
Speaker 3: Uh The eleven year old said she woke up last Monday to the sound of gunshots, very very early in the morning before sunrise, and when she looked outside her bedroom door, she saw dad blood on his head, her nine year old brother blood on his mouth, both of them lying on the floor of the hallway just outside her room. When her seven year old sister walked out of the shared bedroom, she heard another gun shot and then saw her younger sister fall to the floor, and she said that's when the shooter in this case, the fifteen year old brother, came to her bedroom, fired maybe once or twice and hit her in the hand and in the neck.
Speaker 1: When she heard her brother talking on the phone in the bathroom. That's when she made a run for it. He was on the phone with nine one one peddling his story about how it was the thirteen year old that had killed everyone and then killed himself. Now, accounts from the community suggest that this family very well liked. Dad a software engineer, Mom a nurse that his employer. Dad's employer said he was a respected colleague, mentor, and friend. One of the kid's coaches says the family appeared to be perfect.
Speaker 3: The story that the fifteen year old was telling the nine one one operator was it was his thirteen year old that killed everybody and then killed himself because he had been caught watching pornography the night before and was about to get in a lot of trouble.
Speaker 1: Sounds like it was the fifteen year old that was looking at porn and say that because there's a big divide between thirteen and fifteen in the porn game. Go on, I just have heard from my friends with kids, thirteen's a little young. He might stumble across it, but you're not really Usually fifteen's when you're hitting that stride.
Speaker 3: When the hormones are coursing through exactly. Yeah, Yeah, that was my conclusion too, from what we know, just that it seems more likely that it was a fifteen year old who actually got caught and then was going to blame it on his brother or whatever exactly. This is also one of those weird situations where they're not identifying the fifteen year old suspect because he's a minor, but they know the names and ages of all the other family members, so anybody who knows them knows obviously who he is.
Speaker 1: What an overreaction though, right There's got to be a lot of things going on with that kid, slaughter the whole family we mentioned.
Speaker 3: Shoeotani is expected to play in Game three of the World Series tonight. I know a lot more about subluxation of the shoulder than I you was watching.
Speaker 1: Fifty two minutes. Learning about sub.
Speaker 2: Fluxation would mean it popped out.
Speaker 3: Subluxation means it popped out and popped back in.
Speaker 1: Okay, so.
Speaker 2: He's he's fine.
Speaker 3: It might be a little sore, but for the most part, it doesn't appear that there was very much damage. And you heard Dave Roberts say that he's going to be in in the game tonight. Game three of the World Series is in New York tonight, but still the five o'clock first pitch.
Speaker 2: Our time.
Speaker 1: It is time for our wellness round up. Do we have a thing? I don't think so we should make one. We should have all text Clay.
Speaker 2: He was working on one. I just don't know if it ever got Oh, I don't know if.
Speaker 1: I don't want him to feel bad, but why not.
Speaker 3: Scientists advising the government on the next round of dietary guidelines have drafted up recommendations that would tell us to limit how much red meat we eat, because they said it's an effort to point us towards more beans and peas and lentils. This draft recommendation, obviously the meat industry is not happy about that. Cows are, but the industry is not. They said that this is obviously going to be a fight over the final guidelines, which we can probably expect about a year from now, and the amount of red meat that we eat in our diets. I've always felt like this the scare tactics of red meat. Shying us away from red meat has never been just don't.
Speaker 1: Eat it at every meal and make it all you eat everything.
Speaker 3: Them on Now, men who strongly conform to Traditionally masculine behaviors are significantly less likely to receive crucial diagnoses and treatment for serious cardiovascular.
Speaker 1: Gar You know why, because they think they're too strong for anything to befall them, and they don't go to the doctor.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what it is. University of Chicago said.
Speaker 3: It begins as early as adolescents and continues into adulthood. Your football coach, you break your knee or your ankle, break your knee, sprain your knee, whatever it is, and the coach tells you to rub some dirt on it, get back in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't be a little b but and then it kills you down the line.
Speaker 3: Well, because if you have elevated blood pressure, higher masculinity men are four percent less likely to receive a hypertension diagnosis because they don't go to the doctor in the first place.
Speaker 1: Go to sleep. Get some sleep. If you're in your forties, you need to have good sleep quality. Otherwise it means to mensha later in life. Why are you pointing at me. I have great sleep quality. I never had kids. I sleep like a baby. I don't worry. I never missed out on sleep.
Speaker 3: You never got up in the middle of the night to feed anybody. Now, researchers found a dose response relationship between the factors of sleep quality and brain age, and those are or did more sleep characteristics at forty had a better I had a better advanced brain age in MRIs in their mid fifties.
Speaker 1: So, now that you've advanced to your mid fifties, what is the advice for you in terms of is now when you start sleeping less because you're older.
Speaker 3: I do wake up. It feels like I wake up early. Even on weekends.
Speaker 1: I'll wake up me too. I can't sleep in anymore.
Speaker 2: But I have the kit.
Speaker 3: I don't have a kid. I have a puppy. I have a dog that wakes me up on a pretty regular basis.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, but I don't see you sleeping in even before the puppy. You're an early person. I just you're a morning person. I feel like I'm missing something if I wait too late. I just can't, Like I just physically cannot sleep in. I mean the late. I slept till nine a few weeks ago. I was like, I slept till nine, but it was because I was traveling for football and stuff like that. Anyway. Okay, So you told us that a person's ability to stand on one leg changes with age. That it's because probably we use so many different parts of the brain and body at once. So what is normal for your age group? So this is what you have to do. You have to stand on one leg with your hands on your hips and keep your eyes open. So I'm gonna need you to do this all right, So let me get this stopwatch here?
Speaker 3: Am I doing it on my non dominant leg?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: It doesn't say that. It just says the timer starts as soon as your foot lifts off the ground and stops when you either lower your foot or take your hands off your hips.
Speaker 2: Ready, Oh I already started.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So let's see, eighteen to thirty nine forty three seconds is what you should aim for ages forty to forty nine forty seconds?
Speaker 2: How far is your foot off the thing it's off the ground?
Speaker 1: How hard a flamingo? Like a flamingo?
Speaker 3: We I'm gonna hold it up like this, So my right knee is at about a ninety degree angle and my leg my thigh is straight out from my hip.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're probably you probably don't have to be so you know ninety degrees, but anyway, so far you're you just nailed your You just nailed your age group. Fifty to fifty nine should be thirty seven seconds. Now you've eate. Now you've nailed the eighteen to thirty nine age group. You're like your your leg is touching the desk, going okay.
Speaker 2: You think you can't heckle me while I'm anyway, you passed me.
Speaker 1: You passed the test. Fifty to fifty nine thirty seven seconds, sixty to sixty nine thirty seconds, seventy to seventy nine eighteen seconds, and if you're eighty years or older, a little over five seconds. Wow, it's a low bar.
Speaker 2: Maybe presidential candidates should do that.
Speaker 3: It should get up before they're allowed to say anything at these rights as in the next few days. They should hold one leg up and everybody counts out loud. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iheartradiolap