Speaker 1: Do you know what I like about you, Marcus Willis?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: I like that you're wearing a hair band? Yeah, because only fifty percent of our podcast is able to wear a headband without looking insane.
Speaker 2: You could you could go who used to wear a headband? James Blake? You said, do it?
Speaker 1: Yes, he did, just like a fuzzy white thing rather than a you know, when he took that off, he still had the white band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you get that?
Speaker 1: Do you have like a sweat back? What are your sock marks like?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Pretty bad in the summer yere m, but yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: Do you want a podcast?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That's podcast. We should really.
Speaker 1: It's the green green grass of home, isn't it? Mate? Farewell the dirt, Hello the lawns. We're legally obliged to course to gred Wimbledon s W nineteen. We're talking about the build up to the single greatest Grand Slam of the year. We could do a little bit of review, but basically what I want to do is as many podcasts as possible with ATP star. And you've also I know, look round, Marcus Willis, but you've just moved one place up in the whole history of the ATP. Do you know that.
Speaker 2: One place up? Yeah, I'm sixty eight. I think I was seventy four before and tenty seven.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, no, no no, there's a different stat one that you don't boast about enough. Okay, Zverev winning the French Open has now moved off the list of the greatest player to never win a Grand Slam, which means you have now moved one up.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, sorry, sorry obviously, Yeah, yeah, short list.
Speaker 1: He's got longer in turn, so have I Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh it's bonus for everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it felt great, It felt great him winning it. Who is the greatest player to not win a Grand Slam? Now? Are we into like there? Are we going back in time?
Speaker 2: One? Like oh well yeah, yeah, because I mean the rude he's got David and people like that. But did for make a final?
Speaker 1: Ever? No? David Enko was here?
Speaker 2: Did he make a final a Slam? I don't think. I don't think you can be the best player never to win a Slam without making a finale. That's my rules. But don't shoot the messenger. But that's what If you're not in a final at least one, then you can't go oh, he was so close that he wasn't really, But.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised a little bit about the discourse arounds fair because people look at my tennis club like, well, he just got lucky. He's a serial choker. You know. It's only because Sinner and Alcarez one of there. Blah blah blah. A bit surprised by.
Speaker 2: It for me, they were there, they just lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, I mean, how do you view this Verev Grand Slam win?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I don't know. It's I feel like he deserves it. We've spoken about him before. He's obviously struggle with Cinner and Alciaz. But just just because you don't have to be one of them to win a Slam doesn't mean you're not worthy. If the a they their body is not right or be they lose. It's not very as as fault. He dealt with a heat better than other players in the first week, and you know, until the final, he won every match. I think he lost two sets until the final. It's not like it's like he gagged his way there and got lucky and he won six one in the fifth and of course he's going to get tight. He's never won a Slam, Like, what, what do you expect people to just blow their way through every match they've never done something before. I think is playing very well.
Speaker 1: Right, good boy's playing very well. I think this for me is a little bit of the Nadal, Federer Djokovic hangover in the Remember when Sampras won his first Grand Slam, it's a couple of years before he wins his next Grand Slam. Yeah, and that is seen as normal right at the time. It wasn't that you are going to win Grand slams. I feel a feel for Zverev because he's obviously been in two hugely competitive eras, but he's been the best player outside of the two players, right, he's been the third. But it's almost like we expect Zverev now and everybody else who steps on a tennis court to be uninjured and absolutely mental Goliath, just like feder and adult Job, which were for twenty years. He's, you know, like it feels like him winning a Grand Slam because the top seed of you know, got ill and injured and couldn't complete his own run. That's kind of normal. When you go back over Grand Slam winners in the history of.
Speaker 2: This, people forget now there's thirteen slams because of his body. He's being being a tennis players, looking after your body as well or being able to compete. And that's some people. That's luck. Some people that's their style. You know, if you look at how Nadal played, he was running an awful lot. He was diving around. He was where if someone like Federal would get injured a lot less, right, that's just fat al craz is again, carnage. He slides around, hitting balls two hundred miles an hour like he's a very physical pless So he's going to get injured sometimes. That's part of it. That's part of being a tennis player. It's not just because olcras on there. Doesn't take it away from Zev very as hung in there. He's got type one diabetes, type one, on type two, type one. I think, yeah, yeah, yeah, we were attempting, but yeah, so so he's got enough to manage as well. I don't know it's people forget that as well.
Speaker 1: Just just a quick one because I do want to talk about the green green grass of home.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The overall the French Open, I felt like there were a lot of withdrawals, a lot of pullouts, especially in the doubles, as we've spoken about, But how did you view it overall as a slam? Could you mark it out of ten.
Speaker 2: As a spectator or a player.
Speaker 1: As a spectator.
Speaker 2: As a spectator, I thought it was brilliant men's and women's side. You had the qualifier and made the final. Yeah, and again you've got you've got that final. But all the top players lost early. You know, you can't take it away from Andreva because you didn't beat anyone top. But yeah, but they lost earlier. I thought it was great. I thought the doubles, you know, once games matters got played, they're really good. A bit hot the first week, but again that's interesting, that's part of it. As a player as well, I enjoyed myself. It was good.
Speaker 1: I mean, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are there were number ones. It's it's a tough match. I didn't see the final because I was traveling up here, but yeah, it was it was. It was a good, solid slam.
Speaker 1: Now they they lost the final in an hour and sixteen minutes. It was all pretty quick, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, four and two that's yeah, that's not unheard of in.
Speaker 1: Double Yeah, and but hope for not only you, but for our podcast Army Here forty and forty one years old. The opponents Granolas and new is it forty and forty one? Hope that you will keep going on, my friend.
Speaker 2: I do, I do? Yeah, No, I mean there's a lot of guys reallyzy. Yes, there's a lot of guys above there's eleven or twelve above forty in the top hundred I think, and a lot of players above thirty, and a lot of players above thirty five. They were also I think, I want to say top twenty, top thirty singles players, both of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was going to say top thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that might help when they're standing back and railing fourhands at you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So look, you're you're on the turf. Now you're in Ilkley, which is a very well dropped How many times have you played Ilkley?
Speaker 2: A lot?
Speaker 1: You really have, haven't you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need to look back and get the numbers. But yeah, it's changed a lot over the years. Obviously I played the ten k futures as they were back in the day, and the courts obviously weren't the same. The practice courts you probably wouldn't hit on. You'd rather go indoor and now the courts are lovely and it's the club's changed obviously weirdly after twenty years. There's more space in different areas and you're like, oh, every time I go back, courts are really nice. Nice just leave us. A lot of rain in the last few days, so I've had about an hour and a half on the crass in three days, and a lot more indoor and gym and stuff.
Speaker 1: But do you know what, I don't think a lot of British tennis supporters actually realize, like people who just have a casual interest in tennis and then it comes around to summer and they're clamoring for Queen's Eastbourne and Wimbledon tickets, et cetera. I don't think they realized that there's actually a host of tournaments like Ilkley but previously Surbiton, and there's loads of practice opportunities to go and be courtside to see people hit, like at the rains Park community site at Wimbledon where Schwichek has been practicing there for a week. Yeah, just walk in, you can, you can have a coffee there. You will be meters away from the best in the world. But I don't think they realized that a club like Ilkley put on an international grade event and tickets are less than a non league football ground. You know, it's totally accessible to anyone, regardless of their income, to go and see and get up close to brilliant tennis players or.
Speaker 2: You well me, yeah, that's the downside of it. You do get some kind of intruders.
Speaker 1: And you get a full refund if they see you.
Speaker 2: Is that right to me? So yeah, that's why they keep me in the squash court until people start to leave. So yeah, that's that's the deal I had. I signed something in maybe maybe most tournaments. Actually I'll sign something and so just don't show your face.
Speaker 1: What do it feel like being back of the grass? When was your first grass? Called hit?
Speaker 2: A couple of days ago, I mean I hit on the grass. I played two matches on the grass the day before I went to Ron and Garrass. I played the NPL finals at Rampton. M hm. So I've got a couple of masses in then. Obviously great clayprep. Yeah yeah, but no, no, I find grass famous last words, but I find grass. The year I qualified ten years ago, I hadn't hit a ball on grass until my first round of pre colleagues. Mm hmmm, and we got an extended warm up because it'd been raining. I find grass the easiest to jump onto. It's super windy at the moment, so I mean you're throwing the ball up and it's it's blowing everywhere, so that that's tough. But yeah, my first my first hit was just for friendship, and my first hit here was Sunday afternoon. M h windy.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Windy but side side wind, not forward and back. I don't mind so much because you can what do you do.
Speaker 1: It's coming in of the ball, Like, how do you cope in the wind?
Speaker 2: You've got to You've got to hit hard against the wind, so it comes back round like if if you hit it straight, the windows takes it to the side, So it's about countering it. But it's it's also like sometimes the wind will stop a little bit and then you've nailed one six feet wide. The serving's hard because you throw the ball up and it's moving everywhere, but there we go. I think the match courts are a bit more protected, but the practice courts are at the back. Match cords have got little stands around them, so like watching the matches, they don't. It's windy, but it doesn't seem to be as bad.
Speaker 1: Do you see you know that phrase about watching bambiyond ice the Do you see people that you kind of know around the tour through the year, the Clay Quarters, the full Western and Semi Western Grip Brigade. Do you see them get on the grass at Ilkley now? And are you just having a look at the corner of your eye as they look a little bit Bambi or Ice?
Speaker 2: It's it's not what it used to be. It's not playing as quick because of the wind as well, and the courts are nice. So I've not seen too many like you don't have to serve and volley or even slice here.
Speaker 1: Anymore, okay, right, right, So it's not like coming up about hip pipe now, yeah.
Speaker 2: Hip pip at least you've been latting kickers on the second and like getting it quite high. That it's changed, man, it's changed a lot. Whereas back in the day you get windy qualities, you get someone from splaying off South America looking great, whereas now it's it's not a great draw because they can get in a rhythm from the back and still rip the wall side to side. Obviously they're not They're not as effective, but you know, yeah you'll have Yeah, there's no there's not as many easy draws any well. I mean some people come to win Wold and qualities a day before, take the money and go with no expectation.
Speaker 1: But well, I worked at Queens for a few years during the tournament and Stanford Rinker didn't book a practice court. He just went and played his match, lost first round, and as he was walking off, he was heard to say to his coach grasses for cows and that was it. He went back to Switzerland, came back to Wimbledon, and I think he might have gone our second round of Wimbledon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's four or five weeks of the year, so people can afford to do that, right, But if you said that about clay like I do, you still got to go and play it. I mean, you don't have to win matches on grass, it doesn't affect your year. You have to on clay in hardcourt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's a short season, so people can afford to do that. I suppose. I just I don't know. I don't Yeah, I'm not at stands level obviously, but I find it tough to believe it. Anything. You go out there and you're okay with losing, I'm sure I'll still go and compete.
Speaker 1: I don't think he was okay with losing. I just felt that he didn't think the practice was that worth it, you know, like I just fear he was thinking some Yeah, I really put my effort in and in four weeks time, I'm back on a hardcle coming up after the break. I want to talk to you about your grasscourt season in particular, So stay tuned if you're interested. Probably not.
Speaker 2: Go somewhere else and stick the catalog.
Speaker 1: There's other pods. Yeah, welcome back to what are you talking about? Willis? He is Marcus Willis atp sixty something. I didn't do the research before, but you are sixty something and you're back on the grass. You're in ilkly at the moment. So first of all, when you're at this time of the year, do you feel like you get a little bit more heat, as in more attention?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean it hasn't started yet, but yeah you have. I guess people are around more to come watch or support when you. When I'm in Phoenix, Arizona, no one's going. Oh are you playing today, mat Like, what are you playing next week? So I think there's that reason. There's a reason that tennis only exists these four weeks for most people. H and yeah, but no, it's not been too bad.
Speaker 1: You've got more profile than most players, like a player I don't know. You take the bridge number five in doubles I haven't checked, but.
Speaker 2: Probably six in the world or something stupid.
Speaker 1: And Salisbury I was going to say, someone like him. Isn't it just a couple of slams in the Yeah, I think it is. But I would say you've got like as much, if not more profile than quite a lot of these people because of the wind Wood and Run and because of kind of how you are and how you play. So do you notice does that add any pressure to you?
Speaker 2: I don't feel it. No, it's fine. It's ten years ago now, run, so it's quite cool looking back. But as I said, I'm just I don't know, getting on with it and sort of practice out today and then you know, see where I end up the next few weeks. And I don't know, man, it's it's it is what it is. Yeah, I don't know. I'll tell you had that story which was pretty big at the time, and people remember it and then people ask me what was it like? And then what was it like? It's further and nice? What was it like? Were you nervous?
Speaker 1: What does he smell like?
Speaker 2: Yeah? People like you asked like, yeah.
Speaker 1: This smells great, press the red button for the off air feederer smell come station, And do you notice that your your phone gets a little bit hotter. So the people who you haven't heard from for a little while a like, hey, mate, how you mate? Don't suppose there's any Wimby tickets floating around?
Speaker 3: Is there?
Speaker 2: I think? I don't know. I think last year, I it's tough. I think people people are more shrewd now they'll start with hey, what's your plans for the next few weeks and who you're playing with? No, I don't know, I don't. I don't think people are necessarily after tickets the whole time. Some people just want to chat about stuff that they could probably find out online. That's the thing. Like yeah, like roll Garras, I'm like, I went, when are you're playing? And who? It's the time though, isn't it if I replied to if I reply to it, then I'm going to get another question. That's the thing, how are you feeling about it? Fuck? I don't know. And it's but that's the thing. It's it's when you're playing a slam you get a few messages. Yeah, when I'm playing a one two five in another content and this question stop.
Speaker 1: All Well, it's because they listen to the podcast for that kind of information.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So do you look at this time of year as a player is an opportunity to earn money and as an opportunity to have a points hole and push up again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've been comfortable on the grass over the years. It's an opportunity for sure. But I'm playing the tallist tournaments in the world as well. You know, if we I don't know if we're playing, you know, we wouldn't have got into Nottingham Me and Dave next week cuts Top one seventy or something for one two five Challenger. You know we are either going to be in there or potentially playing at Queen's or Queen's Calling is where you're playing the top twenty players in the world straight away, So yeah, there's an opportunity. You could also then we've got maybe potentially Eastbourne and then and then Wimbledon. So in theory, it depends on the draw, depends how we play, but there's opportunities there to make some money and some points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you mentioned it. You mentioned Dave. Who are you playing with?
Speaker 2: David Stevenson, the guy played Queens with last year and I played a bit with I want to say the previous year one one, what off second? I think that was my second one two five out in Taiwan. Yeah, good player. I think he's won one ten at the moment ranked, but you know, six six plays very well, works very hard, and I'm thinking if I'm going into the grass, so I want someone who's got a hell of a lot of weapons that I know that's British that I believe in, or do I find someone random three weeks again and I'm kind of done with the random stuff now.
Speaker 1: So do you think you might partner up with Dave beyond the grass or is that not something that you two have had to chat about.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he's playing with Cleve Harper most of the year obviously for the Grass. You know, they might not get in some of these tournaments, so I think they've split up into a certain date obviously, if you go and win wimbled and it's a discussion worth having. But you know, for the grass, it's a smart thing to do. You know, if we're going this two and two every much, I can safely say that won't be happening. But but yes, what I've realized is nothing's impossible. The planets are now to play the grass and the you know, the two pot fifty after windmed and yeah, by then it's six weeks time, isn't it. You know where you're at.
Speaker 1: It's okay. So if he's one hundred and ten in the world, that doesn't guarantee you entry into Wimbledon, does it.
Speaker 2: No, we need a But this is what you know, I'm speaking to a couple of guys about, you know, in the in the federation. I've said, do you want me to try and find someone needs like the criteria is what it is this year and I think you'll be okay. So that's that's a we've entered. When we're in any way one eight five, which would have got us into the French for obvious reasons, and us I want to say, we would have got in the end. So so yeah, we'll just have to see.
Speaker 1: So you've got kind of an idea that there could be a Grand Slam for you both, but it's not guaranteed. And the same for Queens in a next.
Speaker 2: Week for Queens, but this Queen's qualifying as well. So they got two for Maine and one for colleagues, and yeah, my my opinion is you go for the bigger tournament and go for it rather than play the challenger. If you've got that option of colleagues, and if you lose, and you take up the chin and go on with it, because you can play a challenger any week, right, you can't play a five hundred colleagues every week. It's on your doorsteps. So if we are given the opportunity, we'll take it. If not, we go to Nottingham, but we won't find out until Friday, I guess something like that.
Speaker 1: So what does your day look like today? And then you can shoot off because I know that you've jumped on a little bit of public Wi Fi in a foyer of a hotel haven.
Speaker 2: And I've got the conference one now they went and gave it to me.
Speaker 1: Oh God in this world, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Well? No, I just said, look, I've got a very important podcast I said that without the very important bit, and I'm really struggling to connect to the internet and she was like, oh sure, so give me the password. She's lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're good.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I just have to sit in the lobby with my tennis bag on the table.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 1: So what's your day today?
Speaker 2: What's our day to day? We've got two half an hour slots booked on the grass, one up two and one up three. I think the second one is points and in between that half an hour off, we're gonna go and do our reps indoor. So reps is in service, partner, serve return, stuff like that. So we're going to try and get as many points today as we can of grass. Now, the reason we get half in our slots is because it's expected to rain. They're behind non rain and two of the courts are uncopboard, so if it does rain, they've only got three practice courts and people need that for their singles as women's here as well, So we can't get more than half an hour guaranteed the day on the grass.
Speaker 1: Which is your own court or a shared court shed shed, yeah, doubles or singles hopefully doubles.
Speaker 2: We managed doubles yesterday. So what we did was we hit indoors for the best part of an hour and the guys we're playing points with are hitting on the other court, and we went outside and just went straight into set, played played eight games and a tiebreak and then that was half an hour.
Speaker 1: Don Okay.
Speaker 2: So you've got to be yeah, you've got to be on it. But this is it's not for everyone, right, yeah, and for me I like to have a bit more rhythm, but it's just there's nothing you can do, so try and enjoy it.
Speaker 1: I'm really looking forward to more podcasts and more catching up over this grass called season, hearing how the story unfolds and keeping a breast of the action. Breast cheers for today, mate.
Speaker 2: No worries, I can probably well, we'll stay in touch. I can.
Speaker 1: You'll find conference WiFi somewhere. You always do, I always do it.
Speaker 2: It's the first time, but.
Speaker 1: I mate, Bie.
Speaker 2: Victor of Baranco on troumble Sergeant Murder of Craig Frederick.
Speaker 3: And I'm the trumpets and the composition the Army Blues.
Speaker 1: Look at that