Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's Nicole and I'm Bet and you are listening to Wickeding, a.
Speaker 2: True crime podcast Morning Material.
Speaker 3: Audience listener, nailed it, you're good.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: We had a bit of a.
Speaker 2: Blooper blooper intro like huge, definitely not our first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we got it on the second second try.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Don't give me no side eyes. I didn't give you a day you were judging me. I did not give you a side out, so I thought I fucked up.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because you're sitting off to my side a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm probably that's probably honestly what it is, So don't then.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I looked at you in your direction. What's happening? What's shaken?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm starting us off with a joke. Let's hear it like it's a Halloween joke. Yes, and I'm going to see if you You probably actually get it because you're like the joke king.
Speaker 1: I feel like the joke joking.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, why don't mummies take time off?
Speaker 1: Why don't mummies take time up? It's gonna have something to do with their rap and mummy rap or something. Why don't they take time off? I don't know. Why don't mummies take time.
Speaker 2: Off they're afraid to unwine? Yeah, you actually were pretty close. Good work.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. That was a good joke. That was a good joke. I don't like that one.
Speaker 2: I really like it.
Speaker 1: Well done, well done. What else do we have to drop in this? Oh? Okay, we got to thank patrons because, as you know, listening to the last episode, we we dropped a Patreon page and from not we didn't even post on social media nothing yet, but we have seven patrons. We gotta thank who all went for the all access patron pass.
Speaker 2: That is so awesome.
Speaker 1: So thank you to Amanda Howitt, Stacey Hazelton, Jamie Worthin. I'm really sorry if I'm pronouncing your names wrong because we are.
Speaker 2: Not well known.
Speaker 1: Morgan Alerugler, how do you how do you say that?
Speaker 2: Holy Hannah? Ben I thought you were prayer? Can I see?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Morgan. We're so sorry, but we.
Speaker 2: Seriously, we seriously appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Sheila d Danis Later and Samantha, thank you very much. All you guys. You guys made our day.
Speaker 2: You're awesome, Like, honestly, that did make our day.
Speaker 1: It did. Yeah, that's incredible that we're getting such support from you guys. So thank you, so.
Speaker 2: So much from the bottom of our hearts.
Speaker 1: In the bottom of our little wicked hearts.
Speaker 2: Yes sorry, it was my mic, just a little echo be there when I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all good, it's all good. But all these patrons are going to get some awesome stuff like Drunk, Wicked and Graham coming up this month, and we put out a little post there asking what we should do for Drunk, Wicked and Graham like a case, which is pretty.
Speaker 2: Cool that they actually get to nominate stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It definitely fun. They're going to get that like priority kind of access pass when when we're looking for a requested case. We do have requested cases that we've taken from Instagram messages all that sort of stuff lots, but if we're really looking for one, we're going to go to them for that priority recommendation sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: But the one that we're getting requested that I think we're going to go with is like the most haunted place in Canada. We need to look up what that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, I was just going to ask you, do you know what that is?
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is yet. No, we got to figure that out.
Speaker 2: So there's probably a couple. I bet you there's a one top one.
Speaker 1: We'll figure it out. But Jamie Wherethan was the one who recommended that, and we're going to go with that. So thank you Jamie.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boom, what else have you got anything else to talk about? I got like a leader of ice coffee.
Speaker 2: I know we're both drinking ice coffee. So we just have this sound going on to It's delicious, which is super fun. Okay, I don't think so we get to roll. We can probably just die right in here.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Let's let's just headfirst into the case. What are we rocking?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness? Are we ready?
Speaker 1: Are we?
Speaker 2: I'm ready? Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Like spaghetti if it's cooked properly. If it's uncooked, then it's not very ready.
Speaker 2: But also spaghetti is like better the second day. What no, yeah, no, it like absorbs the flavors. It's an own thing. Lots of soup is better the second day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, soup, not spaghetti. The sauce might have like more the sauce maybe, but not the spaghetti. Noodles and not the.
Speaker 2: Noodles that's what you were talking about.
Speaker 1: I was talking about I.
Speaker 2: Think of spaghetti, I think of the sauce, but I was.
Speaker 1: Talking about spaghetti noodles being uncooked. Oh word, Okay, let's just let's just get when I was like spaghetti, I was like talking like a cook spaghetti noodle.
Speaker 2: Five minutes in and we're already going downhill. We got a song. We gotta start here. Okay, okay, okay, okay. So I'm going to start the story off by sharing Kelly Martin's story. Kelly, do tell that? I said.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: I was like, I interrupted you to say do you tell at the same time, like what.
Speaker 2: Oh. Kelly was a wife and mother to two beautiful girls. She was a school librarian who was described as making every single person she came into contact with feels special and important, which right away, I'm just like, I love her. It's so awesome.
Speaker 1: People up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I just wish more people did that. Actually, she loved Christmas. It was one of her favorite times of year, which I also loved because I also love Christmas.
Speaker 1: Christmas is dope.
Speaker 2: She would, however, have an accident one particular Christmas, retrieving decorations from the attic her husband handed her a box and she went down the ladder. As she was going down the ladder, she missed the step below her, causing her to fall backwards, which is like, eek, because we have a ladder, and I think about that.
Speaker 1: Often because we have a ladder.
Speaker 2: Well, no, we like in our tiny home, like our loft is one of them is a ladder, yes, and it sketches me out. I'm always like, you can't touch me when I'm on the ladder because.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's fair scary. Ladders are like a very high accident prone thing, especially in the workplace and stuff like. That's a lot of incidents happen in the ladders.
Speaker 2: Well, and like ours going up and down with socks scares me as slippery. It's just like so I was just like, oh my goodness, this poor lady, like she fell. So she went through the holiday season exercising her back, even doing some physical therapy, but her new found back pain would not seem to go away. Wanting to be pain free once again and be able to enjoy a drop of tropical vacation with her husband, Kelly would meet doctor Christopher Dunch. Does that name ring a bell to you?
Speaker 1: It does not, but I know slightly of this case, so I know who it's probably going to be.
Speaker 2: So doctor Dunch was a new hot shot neurosurgeon with a very impressive resume, a catchy infomercial, and a five star rating. She would select him to perform the surgery she needed to get rid of her back. Name when she needed. What she needed done was described as a very simple surgery, very routine. The surgery was to repair a torn piece of disk material compressing the nerves in her back. The surgery would take place at Baylor Regional Medical Center. During Kelly's surgery, she would start profusely bleeding. Her routine surgery turned into a medical emergency. Not good. The anisethologist who almost Butcher that was expressing concern over and over again during the procedure that he could not get her blood pressure up. She was continuing to lose more and more blood, with her breathing becoming labored, and she was growing paler by the minute. Just all around, not a good situation. She was drastically deteriorating the whole time. Doctor Dunch did not address the situation, maintaining that Kelly was okay. She however, was not okay, and was later pronounced dead.
Speaker 1: So bitch dang that awe sucks.
Speaker 2: Kelly had bled to death. Doctor Dunch had cut a blood vessel and tore a hole in a vein, causing this routine surgery to rather be a medical emergency with a terrible.
Speaker 1: Outcome that was not addressed. You just let it go.
Speaker 2: As the medical team went to inform Kelly's family, they just knew from the looks on their faces that gives me shifvers. Doctor Dunch would, however, never make eye contact with them, but rather just looked down at the floor. This family had lost their mother, and this was not doctor Dunch's first incident, but rather his first surgery back after being demoted to performing only minor procedures, when just a few months earlier he had paralyzed his closest friend, Jerry Summers, in another botch surgery that left him a quadriplegic. Holy shit, this, my friends, is the cruel story of the victims of doctor Christopher Dunch, also known as doctor d or doctor Death. A person in a position of power taking advantage of people in moments of complete weakness.
Speaker 1: That's one hell of a pseudonym.
Speaker 2: Doc Death, Doctor Death. You imagine if that was like holy fuck? Oh like just cringe. So in this man of less than two years, doctor Death injured thirty three out of his thirty eight patients. That's an eighty seven percent outcome of getting fucked up by this guy. Holy shit, Like no, thank you? Right?
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: We moved from one hospital to another until his medical license was suspended and finally revoked.
Speaker 1: Wow. How many patients did he have to go through before it was revoked?
Speaker 2: Well, we'll get there. Okay, Okay, we'll get there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Christopher Dunch. I was going to refer to him as doctor D this whole time.
Speaker 1: Can we call him doctor Douche?
Speaker 2: Do we like doctor D or do we like doctor Death? Do you like doctor D? Could be like a porn name, but I'll go back and forth. Okay, so doctor D. Christopher Dunch was born sorry go ahead. Was born in Montana and spent most of his youth in Memphis, Tennessee. His father was a physical therapist and his mother stayed home. In high school, he was a football star after graduation. Graduating, he would initially attend a small college in Mississippi to play football, later transferring to color Colorado State University. Though he trained harder than anyone, he lacked talent to the game and eventually returned home to attend Memphis State University, switching to a career in medicine. He completed his undergraduate degree in nineteen ninety five, then continued onto an ambitious md PhD program. In twenty ten. Doctor d would complete his mdphd and neurology.
Speaker 1: Wholy, I'm grim if we don't Butcher pronunciating.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh all the time. I'm like in my head, I'm like, you got this, you got this, and it's like, okay. So he completed his neural ner Holy for now, I'm just it's just down neurology. Neurosurgery is actually what I'm trying to say, and in my brain it's like something totally different. So sorry, neurological, Yeah, maybe I need some more. Okay, Okay, So neural surgery, oh, Man Regency program.
Speaker 1: I mean that is a tongue twister and a half. I say that three times fast. I dare anyone anyway, Okay.
Speaker 2: So he completed that whatever the ship it was the University of Tennessee Hell Science Center, and he also completed a spine Fellowship program at the Seems Murphy Clinic in Memphis.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's that's an education.
Speaker 2: So he did get edge imicated right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: After graduating doctor d, focused heavily on the PhD half of his degree, with his name appearing on several papers and patents, and he took part in a number of biotech startups. This would look really good on his already glowing resume. He would eventually decide to turn to neurosurgery and it was an as it was an extremely lucrative field, and he was five hundred thousand dollars in debt. So I mean, not the most terrible of reasons to choose a field, because you know, money makes the world turn. Yeah, but there probably could have been better reasons for him to choose to go into neurosurgery.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, generally people choose their occupation for an income. So I'm not going to knock anyone if they'd go into a field for money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I feel like also with like the with doctors and nurses and stuff like, generally they also have a desire to want to help people too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's not to say that maybe he didn't have that desire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could have. He could have, but I.
Speaker 1: Mean, like you say, money makes the world go round.
Speaker 2: It does it unfortunately does. So he moved to Dallas and joined Baylor Regional Medical Center referred to as Baylor Plano as a minimally minimally invasive spine surgeont with his salary. His salary, you ready for this? Six hundred ges per year plus bonuses, wowsers.
Speaker 1: Can I have some deal like that?
Speaker 2: That's like a lot? Eh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could buy so much Halloween candy with that. I've been eyeing up that.
Speaker 2: We already buy so much Halloween gets a problem. It's delicious, Okay. So this brings us to doctor D's first patient at Baylor Plano, which is Kenneth Fannell. After Kenneth's surgery, he was left with chronic pain. The reason for this being that good old doctor D operated on the wrong part of his.
Speaker 1: Back ooh, the wrong part of the.
Speaker 2: Wrong part of his back. And this he did this often, like literally, does not diagnose where the pain is properly on someone's back. The pain he was experienced experiencing was getting worse, so Kenneth needed a second surgery and he went back to doctor D. I'm pretty sure I'd be like fuck you and this one would leave him paralyzed. After doctor D removed a part of his ephemeral nerve, it took Kenneth months of rehabilitation to be able to walk with a cane, still not being able to walk more than thirty feet or stand more than a few minutes without having to sit down.
Speaker 1: That would be a lawsuit in the fucking half.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, Yeah, like he sucked him away up, that's just the beginning. So on December thirtieth, twenty eleven, Lee Passmore was referred to doctor D by his pains specialist. During the surgery, it was observed that doctor D cut a ligament around Lee's spinal cord that wouldn't normally be touched during this type of procedure. He also misplaced hardware in his spine and stripped the screw that kept the hardware in place, making the device so it could not be removed.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Dis you?
Speaker 2: Wait? Vascular surgeon Mark Howell, who was assisting doctor D with the surgery, was so disturbed by his actions that he later vowed to never go into another operating room with this man.
Speaker 1: Holy oh wow, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Speechless and Okay, I find that like so interesting because in my mind at this point, like this is a new doctor, Like wouldn't he be getting reviewed or something, because that's a bold statement coming from another surgeon.
Speaker 1: No kidding, And like there's it's not like just one accident has happened so far. This is we're already on multiple occasions. Why is nothing happening yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Have there at this point I'm sure you might get into this, but have there even been any lawsuits yet?
Speaker 2: No? Not as far as I know.
Speaker 1: That might be why because it's like, oh, well, it's not a big of a deal and there's nothing really to go against him. M It's like and it's sad to say, as it is, it's very much so similar to like rape victims. If someone is out there raping individuals, he's not going to go to prison or get caught or anything unless someone speaks up.
Speaker 2: Right, And lots of these people didn't know that he had like prior incidents either, so they thought there was just a one off and maybe it just went wrong or whatever. And then doctor G was also like a very confident individual, so I think he could like get out of situations pretty easily.
Speaker 1: Y Holy fuck.
Speaker 2: So Lee was left with chronic pain and had a difficult time walking. Not even a month later, in January of twenty twelve, Barry morgulof I'm pretty sure, is how you say that, would find himself on doctor D's table, his procedure being a spinal fusion. He had injured his back unloading trucks and could no longer walk without pain. Doctor D vowed to help him. Oh, of course, very Barry quoting I can fix you was like a magic word. Boom, that's all I heard. I thought that he was going to be the man to help me walk again, and just decide I wanted to do a little side note if you want to dig a little deeper into this case, there's a docu series on Peacock. Have you heard of that. I didn't know what that was at first, but I think it's like a streaming service in the US. And the series is called Doctor Death and it has like some big names in there. Joshua Jackson. Do you know who that is?
Speaker 1: H Yeah, I'm actually I'm looking at it right now. Oh gosh, As you were talking, like, I wonder if there's been a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy yet Christian Slater and Alec Baldwin, just to name a few. And I was initially so bummed because I was trying to find this and it didn't seem like it was available in Canada because the Peacock streaming thing is just us. But then the Global TV ap pass it and.
Speaker 1: It's The first episode air date was July fifteenth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: One, so it's like, yeah, it's this year. So anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there, and that show was based off a podcast series with the same name, So some of the quotes and stuff that I have in this is from articles from the Peacock docuseriies just to throw it out there. I know what I'm doing this weekend. I'm gonna watch that. I think it'd be so sweet. Okay, So now, during this procedure, there was yet another fellow doctor assisting in the surgery. His name was Randal Kirby, and he would say doctor D was performing at a first or second year neurosurgical resident level and had no apparent insight into how bad his technique really was. Holy shit, yeah, he Doctor Kirby would later write to the Texas Medical Board that doctor D had problems throughout the simple procedure, nicking the patient's vertebrae artery and having difficulty moving the plate into the proper place. Like, yikes, this.
Speaker 1: Is literally something out of a fucking horror movie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, I mean, did doctor Death not give you all indication enough?
Speaker 1: I'm not okay going into this so far. My expectation was, Okay, doctor Death, it was gonna be something similar to I can't remember her name, but that.
Speaker 2: That nurse, that Elizabeth Wettlawfer.
Speaker 1: I was kind of expecting something like that, where he had this obsession with like killing people on purpose.
Speaker 2: He's just I think he's just shit at his job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just thinks he's all this and he's just not even close. He's just a fuck horrible doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is alarming.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's worse than someone who just is purposely doing it or not. I don't know what would be worse.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, At first I was going to say someone purposely doing it, but then I don't know, because I.
Speaker 1: Mean, morally, clearly, someone purposely injuring someone is worse clearly, But on a level of him talking to people and getting their hopes of I can fix you. Yeah, and then not even having any sort of skills to even come close to backing that up.
Speaker 2: Well, because at some point you got to know if you're bad at something too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Really, so he's giving all this hope to people and then just crushingly in.
Speaker 2: Their dreams, making them more so when they came in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that that is horrible, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So unfortunately, here I go. Perry would end up with more pain than he began with and was left with no feeling in his left leg. He said he woke up and it felt like he'd been hit by a truck. He'd never experienced pain of this type. Barry was also left with bone fragments from his vertebrate lodged into the nerves of his back and pain now rules his life.
Speaker 1: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: At a follow up appointment Barry had with doctor D Oops, he was showing clear signs. Doctor d was showing clear signs of being like high or in him what is that word in himbriand ineborated, yeah, cause and this caused Barry to walk out, so like he was either like drunk or high or something. Wow, Like that's fucked that that right there actually scares me more. I don't know. Can you imagine going and seeing a specialist and they're like not taking your appointments serious and high on drugs or like drunk, Like, oh my gosh, I would just freak. So one very interesting tidbit is that a typical neurosurgery resident completes about a thousand operations during their training, which seems very fair to me because you're operating on some pretty sens to varies, right like brain, spinal cord kind of thing. Yep, doctor D had done fewer than any guesses.
Speaker 1: Uh, fewer than fifty.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you went that low. You're supposed to have a one thousand, I know.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, okay, like is this with his with his skill level, I'm expecting he like.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, so he did fewer than one hundred.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I'm not that far off.
Speaker 2: I know, but I actually didn't think you'd go that low. So the fact, because I was.
Speaker 1: Like shocked, Well he's pretty shit.
Speaker 2: So okay, so how is this possible, you may ask? Well, doctor D suffered from substance abuse, and it was brought forward to the University of Tennessee following an anonymous complaint that came in. He was ordered by the university to take a drug test, but somehow was able to get out of it. He was then sent to a program for impaired physicians, but still allowed to complete his surgical training. It's unclear how thorough his training exactly was. Holy fuck, it kind of seems like he slipped through the cracks lately. But that's just like that is just some oh I mean, no doctors, I guess you'd slip through the cracks. But that's like one specialty that I'm like, oh my gosh, like ugh, it's up there with like kneecaps and eyeballs. To me, what do you mean that's up there with having to like research about spinal cords. Like it's cringey, cringey. I can't do it.
Speaker 1: That's not cringey. That's just like gross.
Speaker 2: Well, there's certain body parts that I'm just like a boat. Okay. So doctor D's next victim, who I mentioned earlier when sharing Kelly's story, would beat Jerry Summers. Jerry was actually one of doctor D's closest friends, which I find incredibly interesting because if you knew you were a shitty at something like a shitty surgeon. Would you actually offer to help your friend like they were close friends or does that just show how overconfident and how much of a sociopath he really was?
Speaker 1: That one, definitely that one.
Speaker 2: Jerry had chronic neck pain from a car accident, so had asked his friend for help. Boy was that the wrong decision because when he woke up, Jerry would find himself a quadriplegic. Doctors who later reviewed the case determined that doctor D had damaged Jerry's vertebrate artery during the surgery, which caused significant bleeding. What doctor D did to stop the bleeding was packed the space with so much gelfoam that it constricted Jerry's spine. And basically from what I could find, jelphonem was like a super absorbent compressed sponge to help kind of clot blood and you can leave some of it in the body, but not an excessive amount like he had. And this part is like, Hugh, really gross. He had also removed so much of Jerry's bones bone that his head was no longer secure to his body. What what like, it's just it's just it's too much.
Speaker 1: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, reading that, I was almost like, this has to be like a joke, like this is just too too far. Wow, too far, Jerry saying as soon as he had woke up, I couldn't move my arms or my legs. It felt like a big pile of bricks is on your body and your head is sticking out. I knew something was wrong. He was an intense pain, and I imagine, like Garrett is hell yeah, and he was the only thing he had left his voice to call for help. He lived to share his story, but it's been reported that Jerry had passed away earlier this year due to an infection connected to his status of being a quadriplegic.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh my god.
Speaker 2: That is horrible and so like at the time that they I don't know caught doctor D. I guess that that death wasn't even like within his uns. Yeah, but so that's an incident that later happened, right.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So after this incident, doctor D was instructed to perform only minor procedures. I don't even know exactly what that means. But in my opinion, at what point can he just have his license taken away? Please? Yes, please, But I'm sure the process to remove a doctor from doctor status would be lengthy, take a whack of time, and cost a lot of money, all which medical facilities may not have. Kelly Martin, who I shared her story at the very beginning, was his next surgical patient back from his little hiatus there, I guess, and in order to perform her surgery, he had to pass a psycholog legit evaluation, which he obviously did. He get passed, though, well, he wasn't like crazy, Are you.
Speaker 1: Sure about that? He sounds pretty fucking nuts to me.
Speaker 2: And now, after Kelly's incident, surely you'd think this has to be the end, but it's not. The hospital he was working at at the time, Baylor Plano, Well, they conducted an investigation on doctor d and found that he would need to be let go as he failed to meet their standards of care, obviously, but instead of firing him, it's reported that he voluntarily resigned, and because of it being a voluntary resis, the hospital was not required to report doctor Dee's actions to the National Practitioner Data Bank or the Texas Medical Board, therefore having none of his malepractices tracked.
Speaker 1: Wow, just what I mean? Yeah, okay, sure, it's easier. Oh okay, he resigns it's easy on us. But now like the shit storm you just cause for other people, Yep, Holy fucked is that? Oh wow?
Speaker 2: I feel like they don't have to report it, but can they still report it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But then there was something about there that they didn't want to be like sued because he could potentially then come back and like sue them, and then if it was wrongful like reporting, then I don't know the hospital like that. They don't want lawsuits, right. I think they probably already don't have a lot of money or something. I don't know, But still there has to just be something like you're conscious you just have to report it, do you not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's you're dealing with people's lives, as simple as that. And it's not even like you're dealing with people's lives literally right now. You're dealing with people's lives in the futures that are going to be in the hands of this fucking crazy Oh my god, Like this case is fun.
Speaker 2: It's an ethics thing really at some point. Yeah, So he rather just continued his career elsewhere in the state. He moving on quite quickly actually, to the Dallas Medical Center, where he was allowed to begin operating immediately, Holy grant you. He was only granted temporary privileges while his references were checked out, but in that time he was still able to do quite some damage. Floella Brown would be his next victim. Floella was a banker who was about to retire and was hoping to ease her worsening back pain going into retirement. It initially seemed like her PERCEI was going well, but again she started having excessive bleeding, to the point where doctor D was complaining he couldn't see there was so much blood.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, I oh, are you okay?
Speaker 2: Like you actually seem so agitated.
Speaker 1: I'm extremely agitated on this one. Like I can't pick my job off the fucking floor.
Speaker 2: You seem so uncomfortable. Is there another reason you're uncomfortable?
Speaker 1: No, Like, I'm physically comfortable in my little fucking bean bag up in this loft, But this case is just so fucked because.
Speaker 2: You're like agitation levels are almost like causing me to be agitated, because I'm like, is everything okay? But you're so distraught.
Speaker 1: I just don't understand how he can just keep doing this. Yeah, like physically from a his standpoint of like I am hurting so many people. He should at one point just be like, holy fuck, I'm a shit doctor. I should probably either go back to school because I know I slipped through the cracks mm hmm and learn this proper or b I should step down. And the other side of it being that like when is someone going to be like, dude, you are killing people and fucking up people's lives so much. Stop But nothing is happening.
Speaker 2: I know because at least with like Elizabeth Wetlawer, she never got caught her. She was I think overdosing people with insulin is remembering correctly, and so it would just it totally slipped through the cracks and no one else knew that she was doing terrible job. But in these situations, he is a room full when he's doing surgeries, and like everyone can see how terrible of a job he's doing.
Speaker 1: It's witness after witness after witness, and no one's doing anything, no one's saying anything.
Speaker 2: Yep, and it's just.
Speaker 1: People's lives and it's just it fucking hurts. Holy shit. I'm sorry, this is really I've We've done some fucked up cases that have gotten to me, and this is probably one of the ones. That have gotten to me the most. This is up there with Junco for tour with for.
Speaker 2: Me like it. Holy moly, Ben Wow, Okay, so back to it.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Rather than to abort the surgery, he continued on, they closed Full Floella up and had her move to recovery, where she later was visited with family, reporting that she had felt okay, but by the next morning she had taken a turn for the worse. Her body had started convulsing and she lost consciousness. Doctor D who they were trying to reach, could not be reached four hours. And that thing pisses me off because it's like, if you're doing surgeries and you have people in recovery. I mean, I know, like you don't want to be working twenty for seven blah, but that's the job that you signed up for, yeah, and you need to be available if something goes so there.
Speaker 1: If I may go off slightly, here as an example of a good doctor who is available for you. Of all doctors' names, my dentist's name is doctor Payne p A y n. True story his legitimate name. I got my wisdom teeth pulled when I was.
Speaker 2: Younger, and I was just going to say.
Speaker 1: Thirteenth, nonetheless by doctor Paine. He's a really good dentist, really good guy, takes really good care and very careful, awesome dentist. When I got my wisdom teeth pulled, he was off on vacation or a wedding or something. He was out of the province, across the fucking country. He called me while he was not on the job to see how my recovery was doing.
Speaker 2: And not that that getting wisdom deed isn't a big deal, but compared to these kind of surgeries, it's not really a big deal. So that's impressive.
Speaker 1: Like the dentist stood aside from I can't remember if I think it was a wedding. He stood aside from the wedding, called my mom to ask how my recovery was going.
Speaker 2: Which is amazing.
Speaker 1: That's what a good surgery a surgeon should be doing.
Speaker 2: Totally, totally. So he finally rolled into the hospital late late for an elective surgery that he had and instead of canceling that elective surgery to attend to Floella, who was not doing well, he proceeded with his new surgery. Unfortunately, Floella would later die. She was moved to another hospital when doctor D was finally willing to transfer her as a patient, but it was ultimately too late. She had been without auction for too long that her brain was dead, and she'd ultimately died from a stroke and massive blood loss. A neurosurgeon was hired to review the case and found that doctor D had both pierced and blocked Floella's vertibal vertebra sorry artery with a misplaced screw. It was also found that he was operating on the entirely wrong area and misdiagnosed the source of pain.
Speaker 1: This is horrific.
Speaker 2: Okay, The next one Mary efferred, I think would be last name, would be his next victim, and she was one. She was the one that doctor D was operating while Floel was basically dying. Right. She was a seventy one year old woman. But doctor D was distracted during her surgery report saying he was preoccupied with the thoughts of Floella, which is interesting since he decided to go ahead with Mary's surgery.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: While doing so, he struggled to put the necessary hardware in Mary, incorrectly placing it in muscle rather than bone, causing her to later wake up in agonizing pain and unable to move her legs. Another what the fuck? I can't even look I can't even look at you. How can your face?
Speaker 1: How can you mistake muscle for bone?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it does get worse. So another surgeon, Robert had and was called in to try and repair the damage. He said, immediately upon opening the patient's prior score scar, I could see a screw penetrating that drool sack. I don't really know what it is from the left side of the body, but it was just wobbling there. So a screw was wobbling there. It was like somebody just threw some tanker toys in there, or an erector set in there. I had absolute zero comprehension of how this surgeon could think that he had done this procedure correctly.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So unfortunately, there are other hospitals and other victims. I'm not going to go through all of them since this is going to just be a one more Herder episode, but there's a few more cases I wanted to briefly note. So this is some bullet points of a bunch of shit, So just prepare yourself.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I'm gonna have to breathe deep for this, okay, give you like a countdown.
Speaker 2: Here, three, two.
Speaker 1: One, Okay, I'm good, I'm buckldac. Let's do this, okay.
Speaker 2: So he cut part of a patience spinal cord, leaving him unable to move anything on the right side of his body, saying to him, I don't know why you're like this. Everything went perfectly in there.
Speaker 3: What what.
Speaker 2: He calls Marshall muse an avid runner to spiral into addiction, losing his job and splitting from his wife because he was in so much pain after his operation, and instead of correcting whatever for an air he made, he instead prescribed him so much pain mediccation that when trying to get it filled for a second time at the pharmacy, the pharmacist refused to fill it because it was going to be harmful to him. So he just prescribed him so much pain meds that it pretty much caused an addiction. Wow, and so this guy had ruined his freaking life. He cut another patient's vocal courts during her procedure, leaving her barely able to speak. He left Philip Mayfield unable to walk. He was taken to a different hospital, receiving a new doctor, but told the damage done by doctor D was irreversible. He this is super sweet. Didn't accept this outcome and told them, yes, I will walk again. I have a life that I have to live. I have three boys I need to raise, and he was right. He eventually did regain his ability to walk after intense rehab, which I just love because that's just like an outcome of positive thinking and mind over matter.
Speaker 1: Hey, is that our badass of the day rate there?
Speaker 2: I think it probably is because he basically got a really shitty dia diagnosis and he still walks with a cane and lives with chronic pain, but he can walk when they basically said, you know, you wouldn't be able to.
Speaker 1: That's something like that. That's inspiring as fuck. Just got to say good on that guy.
Speaker 2: I know, I do think a lot of times things can be mind or matter too, right, But like it's hard to get to that mindset too where you're like, I can't overcome this when people are telling you you can't. Like, yeah, So that's an incredible person. This is really unfortunate though, but I'm going to say it. He unfortunately did die earlier this year from COVID.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: He years later had continued to receive treatments to relieve the pain that doctor D caused, and this caused him to be vulnerable to the to the virus.
Speaker 1: So technically doctor D still got to in the end.
Speaker 2: There's another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ah fuck.
Speaker 2: So doctor D's final surgery would be on Jeff Glidewell. And this day started with doctor D being three hours late for his surgery, holy shit, arriving to the hospital by cab. So it's not like he was just in another surgery or something. Jeff was having a bad feeling about going ahead with the surgery, but his wife had reassured him and wanted him to go ahead with it. That's got feeling, right, those gut feelings. Yeah. But then honestly, if you're at the hospital like and prepped and stuff, like, to back out of that would be a ballsy decision. Most people wouldn't do that. So but once Jeff would wake up and find himself in more pain than before the surgery, also super wild, doctor D. This is where it gets interested, Like where I said more wild. Doctor D told Jeff's wife that they had to abort the surgery because he discovered a tumor that he felt could be cancer. That tumor like thing just ended up being a muscle. Like he really just does. He has no idea what he's doing. Like I think I almost feel like I could research and probably do a surgery better in a sense.
Speaker 1: Have you ever watched The Simpsons?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure, y, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Doctor Nick is just like the world's shittiest fucking doctor. This dude reminds me of doctor Nick.
Speaker 2: On the six show. Maybe that inspired it.
Speaker 1: Maybe because like on The Simpsons, doctor Nick is like doing box back alley surgeries all the time, and even one point he's like the hip bones connected to the leg bone, leg bones connected to my wristwatch. Uh oh, like that sort of stuff. And that's what this reminded me of, Like this, Oh, we had to back out because there's a tumor that's a.
Speaker 2: Muscle muscle like, oh my god. So even though he boarded the surgery, he still ended up leaving Jeff with a hole in his esophagus. He took out a nerve, cut an argery, and left a sponge inside of his body.
Speaker 1: Again, doctor Nick, it might as well be a fucking wristwatch, like.
Speaker 2: Oh my, Like, oh, this guy, Doctor Randall Kirby was Russian days later to repair doctor D's damage. Kirby described what he did to Jeff as attempted murder and because this wasn't the first time he felt they had a serial killer on the loose in their medical community. Jeff would spend months in the hospital recuperating from the surgery that need that nearly killed him. Wow, this would have doctor D's medical license finally suspended.
Speaker 1: Good, wait suspended, and later.
Speaker 2: You just can't wake and in December of twenty thirteen it would be permanently revoked. Good good, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Too late, though, that was thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Too many people like the thirty eight. Well, so remember at the very beginning he had thirty eight victims and thirty three of them got fucked up, right, so like he should have been not operating on a freaking single person.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Both doctors Randall Kirby and Robert Henderson, who had mentioned at times above doctors who were called in to fix doctor D's mistakes, were crucial in bringing doctor d down. Good And apparently it's very rare for doctors to turn on each other in this way. It's not something that happens often.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, if someone's doing these botch jobs so much and so prolifically.
Speaker 2: Good thing they're coming in m m, well no, it just shows those ones are in it for the right reasons. Right. So, after this, life for doctor D would fall, would fall apart. Sorry I just said would fall, but like that doesn't make sense, but it basically would fall apart, and rightfully so, he started drinking too much, shoplifting hundreds of dollars worth of items. This got him arrested. He declared bankruptcy after listing debts of over one million dollars WHOA got a dui among other things. So, like life really took turn for him. In the meantime, prosecutors were working with both doctor Kirby and doctor Henderson to find a way to formally charge doctor D, which would be a challenge. They needed to prove that doctor D's actions were wilful and intentional as defined by the Texas law.
Speaker 1: Well, that is kind of the fine line we're walking on this case, though, because maybe he really just thinks he's doing a good job, and clearly he's not. He shouldn't be doing it, But maybe he just really thinks that he's just helping these people and he's not aware that he's just that much of an idiot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. So like its challenge, right, Yeah. And I hate to say this, but almost thank goodness for doctor D's downward spiral, because this was a process for them to figure out, and it was feared he could move elsewhere and still theoretically get a medical license apparently, So it's a good thing that he was doing this downward spiral, not just like trying to figure out how he could go work somewhere else. After interviewing dozens of doctor D's patients and their survivors, it became very clear that his actions were indeed criminal, and imprisonment would be the only option to prevent him from practicing medicine again. In July twenty fifteen, approximately a year and a half after his license was revoked, Doctor D would finally get arrested and charged with six felamy counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, five counts of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury, and one account of injury to an elderly person that was Mary. She was the seventy one year old. The last charge of injury to an elderly person was put on a high priority as it was provided as it would provide the widest sentencing range. Doctor D could face up to life in prison if convicted of this. They also believed that charge would be easily to more easily to prove in court. However, the mangle of the trial was to achieve a sentence long enough to ensure doctor D would never be able to practice medicine again, held in the Dallas Dallas Country Jail for almost two years. Finally, in twenty seventeen, doctor D was tried for the charge of injury to an elderly person. First, many of doctor D's patients were called to stand at the trial, and according to doctor D's lawyers, this isn't you will need to listen to this.
Speaker 1: I'm listening.
Speaker 2: Doctor D had not realized how poorly he had performed as a surgeon until he heard the prosecution experts tell the jury about his many blunders on the operating table. That's the scariest part of all this, Like bizarre, he had no actual idea how bad it was.
Speaker 1: I guess he had no idea how terrible.
Speaker 2: He was at the Yeah, Like did he think that that was most doctors like report that they eighty seven percent of their patients were fucked.
Speaker 1: Well, he probably just like did the job, and like, oh, it is what it is. It's not me, it's your recovery. It's not me, it's it's you dealing with pain. That's normal. Like, think of it this way. How often, how many of us go to work and we just have like that one coworker or someone we've run across who just does such a bad job and they just don't even notice, They don't even care, they don't even seem to realize how ridiculous they're fucking up all the time.
Speaker 2: And now imagine that person's a doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, imagine that person getting into the shoes of a doctor's position. That's all it is. There's many people out there that do this sort of thing all the time. Yeah, it's just on a ridiculous scale with people's lives as.
Speaker 2: A scale that literally affects people's lives, terrifying part. Yeah, Doctor D's defense was poor training and lack of oversight by the hospitals. After thirteen days of trial, the jury needed only four hours to convict doctor D for the charge of injury to an elderly person. On February twentieth, twenty seventeen, he was sentenced to life in prison. He was not He will not be eligible for parole until twenty forty five, when he will be seventy four years old. Wow, loot WoT.
Speaker 1: I mean I feel for him though too, because like I said, he had well, like you said, he had no idea, He had no intention of hurting these people. Clearly he was Clearly he shouldn't have been in this position, but he was. Oh this is a tough one. Yeah, because it's he didn't mean to. He was still doing it, but he wasn't meaning to. So yeah, he deserves reprimmendation. Yeah, he should not be a doctor. Yeah, like all this is I agree, Yes, something should happen, But this whole time, he just thought he was saving people's lives.
Speaker 2: Also, all four hospitals that employed doctor Y to no surprise, had ongoing civil cases against them. Okay, So one thing that too that I ended up missing. I had it in my report and then now it's not there, and I'm at the end and I'm like, where the hell is that statement? Because this could affect affect your opinion. Okay, So in the courts they had one piece of I guess you'd call it evidence, And what it was is it was an email that he had written to his former assistant who was his ex girlfriend, and like it's bad. It says, unfortunately, you cannot understand that I am building an empire and I am so far outside the box that the earth is small and the sun is bright. I am ready to leave the love and kindness and goodness and patience that I mix with everything else that I am and become a cold blooded killer.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this this ex girlfriend had submitted this, and that's what it said. So in my he was I don't think he was doing his job right, and it almost did come across like he didn't realize he was doing it right. But then if you read that, it's almost like he did know and didn't give a shit.
Speaker 1: Unless because I mean, there's no context with that now there isn't and I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Maybe he's just because what if this email is around the time of when there's like he's getting kicked out of hospitals and some doctors are.
Speaker 2: He could be frustrated.
Speaker 1: He could be frustrated, and he could not even be talking about his patients. He could just be like, Oh, I just want to go like murder someone. I want to go punch just guy in the face, Like people say that stuff out of anger quite frequently. I want to fucking shoot that dude. Yeah, that could be something.
Speaker 2: Like that, and it was to a loved one, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it could maybe not have anything to do with his patients. If it does have anything to do with his patients, then yeah, fuck everything I said. This guy's every fucking intention. He's a fucking horrible person, Like fuck him, blah blah blah. But we don't know. That's the only problem.
Speaker 2: And the other thing too that I hadn't put in there, but it had said when he was growing up and he was playing all the on those football teams and stuff, right, and his teammates would say like that he like it didn't really football didn't necessarily come naturally to him, but that he put like so much effort into their into it, and there would be drills that he would just like repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat until he would get it. But he still woldn't even almost get it as as much as the other players. And so I think like he almost seemed like he has this drastic need to like do well at everything, but then he can't accept when he doesn't do it.
Speaker 1: Well, Yeah, that's very possible.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: It makes sense.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, it's it's just super shitty because there's a lot of people that are probably regretting their decisions of getting help when they actually did need those that help. And I hate, like, I just having to think that those they lost lives and now they're like paralyzed or something like that, and they were literally just trying to get help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this dude fucked up a lot of lives. Yeah, and you fucked up my life by introducing me to this episode, because holy fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't seem like you're going to be the same. You're never going to be able to get surgery or anything. Ain't. Yeah, probably not going to trust the soul.
Speaker 1: Probably not Well. It was one hell of an episode, babe. Good job, good research, and fuck that dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So until then, make.
Speaker 1: Sure you guys check out our Instagram, our Facebook, our Patreon page. I'll link below and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Until then, stay wicked.