Speaker 1: Jennie Weather. Uh, it'll be a cloudy day, but the scattered afternan storms should develop around one pm. They're saying today's high seventy eight, slight chances storms over night with a low fifty nine Tomorrow mostly clouds. Scattered afternoon storms are a possibility seventy two for the high forty five overnight with a slight chanceerrain and flying pig. Weekend comfortable sixty three degrees. If you're a runner, I would call that comfortable. Not a runner, but also a fifty percent chances and showers seventy degrees. Right now, let's get a traffic.
Speaker 2: Update from the UCLP Traffics Center.
Speaker 3: UC Help Weight Loss Center offers comprehensive OBCD care in advance starts a co expertise called five one three nine n two two sixty three. That's nine nine twenty two sixty three. Crews continue to work with the wreck on river and state traffic backing up towards hill Side northbound seventy five, having out a burrow linger into the cut. Stapbound seventy five and accident are Union Center is on the right shoulder.
Speaker 1: Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: The talk station, Hey.
Speaker 1: Thirty on a Thursday, I've got a sire relief. I always look forward to this time because get to move away from politics, at least for the for the most part. Welcome back to the fifty five Furnessey Morning Show. I heard media aviation expert Jay Ratliff, my savior.
Speaker 2: You throw.
Speaker 4: You throw political curveballs my way frequently, especially if they tie into aviation.
Speaker 5: So well, I know it's I never assume that, but I always get an uplifted feeling when I'm talking to you. It's like a sire relief. I'm not talking about like, well, apparently Indian Pakistan breaking out with World War three right now, which is a heavy conversation. We started the morning show out this morning, which has been kind of weight on my shoulders all day. So I just look forward to this time because it's not it's a for me. It's a really nice segue into Friday. And I always feel like a certain weight's been lifted when I'm doing the Friday morning show. So anyway, I appreciate your willingness to come on and talk with my listeners every week for a few segments.
Speaker 4: Jay, It's my pleasure and it's one of the few that I have through the week, of all the stations I'm on across the country, that's they relaxed, don't rush conversation, and you kind of help lead things. And some of our friends around the country you kind of have to, you know, spoon feed them on some things as far as what the topics and the direction we're going to go. Never have to do that with you, And you know that's what makes it fun for me.
Speaker 1: Well, you're an engaging person to talk to.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: I have a natural sense of curiosity about things that I don't have a you know, a real profound connection with. So let's start with the American Airlines. We've got a passenger lawsuit over a groping incident.
Speaker 2: Jeez, yeah, this happened. It was it was well the.
Speaker 4: Number of I think it was last year that the flight attendant was or excuse me, a passenger was touched in appropriately by the person she was sitting next to.
Speaker 2: She told him to stop, stop, stop. He did not.
Speaker 4: She didn't bring it up to the flight attendant until they were deplaning, so he's gone and at that point in time, there wasn't anything they could do. She was upset because she said, look, you know who he is because he was sitting here and you've got all the information on all of us, so it's right there.
Speaker 2: But they just gotta blew an off.
Speaker 4: So what happened was she found out later that this same man had later it was March of this year, was accused of the exact same thing, and that she was saying, wait a mante, you know, I told you what was going on. Then she found out it happened a year before her situation.
Speaker 1: Oh so they had prior notice.
Speaker 2: That was her position.
Speaker 4: So she's suing the airline saying, look, you knew that this was a potential problem. Passenger never should have been allowed on the airplane. I think it's like a seventy five thousand dollars lawsuit or whatever it was. But it was something that when you look at this passengers on board flights, especially red eyes, everybody's got their ears on something else of those kinds of things, and what ends up taking place far too often is, you know, when these types of situations happened, fellow passengers are oblivious to it because they're either sleeping or preoccupied in something else that they're doing. And that's why passengers that have inappropriate interactions with fellow passengers are always encouraged to notify the flight attendant if they can. If not, you hope somebody sitting nearby will do so for you, just so that they can get involved and maybe, you know, move someone somewhere to try to minimize the situation that's ongoing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I'm the litigation attorney in me, and my brain is spinning along the lines of litigation, you know, hold the airline response for this, and they've got to be unnoticed that the guys this kind of guy in order to prevent him from getting on the flight, but in order to prevent the guy that getting on the flight, they have to know that it actually happened, that someone just didn't make it up for the purpose of being a jerk or something. You know, they may have had a bad, you know, run in with them in the in the the baggage area or something like that, and he's like, I'm gonna I'm gonna pile on this jerk and accuse them of, you know, inappropriately touching me. You know, there's all kinds of potential, i possiblebilities out there, so putting them in a position of liability for this guy's alleged grope when she didn't bring it to their attention on the flight. I don't know, I don't know. It's that's a tough I.
Speaker 4: Don't see it going anywhere anyway, because I'm thinking if he was accused, that's.
Speaker 1: Not that's not exactly to.
Speaker 4: Me, just a totally different thing. But yeah, it's I guess some of some of your common sense is rubbing off on me, because when I read that, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: What I thought.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a man of common sense yourself. You don't need to be a lawyer to figure that one out. But you know that I will on that, but okay, we waits. I will point out although they do have a legal department, I'm confident American Airlines they have in house lawyers that can handle this. So they're already on salary. But if you had to retain an attorney to respond to the complaint and file for emotion, to dismiss the fact that she's only asking for seventy five grand, this is one of those you know what, it's cheaper to just settle it right or at check. So that's maybe that's that's the whole Well, I know plainus lawyers, and I've dealt with them a lot over my life, and trust me, I have a feeling knowing the way we talked about it and knowing that the likelihood of a judge or jury finding them liable for this guy's behavior is slim. He asked for a low asking the complaint, and then you settle for somewhere in the middle from zero to seventy five thousand dollars, and they calculate what their legal fees would be at five hundred, six hundred seven hundred dollars an hour, and you can do the math on that. That's what they typically do. Don't go away more with Jay Ratliff. It's eight thirty six fifty five Karsydney Talk Station fifty five krc hey neighbor oh Much Channel nine weather forecasts Scattered afternoon storms they say should develop around one pm. The day high seventy eight, a slight chance of those storms over night with a low of fifty nine. Clouds tomorrow and some scattered afternoon storms are possible seventy two for the high, down to forty five overnight with a slight chanceer ring flying tag weekend. Saturday is the kickoff day spotty showers about fifty percent chance of those in the highest sixty three seventy Right now traffick time from.
Speaker 3: The UCL Traffic Center, you see healthwait Boss center offers comprehensive OBCDCAR and advanced sergic O expertise. Call five one three nine three, nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three. Cruise continue to work for the wreck on river and State that has Tranfike banked up close to hillside. Northbound seventy five continues to run an extra ten minutes out of Burrowiner into town southbound, heaviest in and out of Lachland in southbound seventy one just Polo Field, Zerbo, the Red Bank, Chuck ingramon fifty five kr seed the talk station.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been in the cockpit before?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: Forty if about KRCD talk station Jay Ratliff, Has I heard me the aviation expert Jay Ratliff going through some aviation related topics and having some engaging conversation Luftan's Airlines. What's going on with Luftanza.
Speaker 4: Well, they had a flight from l to Munich and uh they had to make a very quick, unexpected stop in Boston because they had a passenger that had a tablet that got stuck in a business class seat.
Speaker 2: Get it out.
Speaker 1: Wait a second, since there's a gap between the seats, we all know about that, and so the laptop falls in between the gap.
Speaker 2: Fine, get stuck.
Speaker 4: They can't get it out and they making it Why did they landing? Because it is lysium battery powered. Lithium batteries have, as you and I have to discuss, tend overheat and if they overheat and catch on fire, which has happened. Flight intendants have a fire suppression bag bag material that.
Speaker 2: They can put it in. But if it's duck in the seat.
Speaker 4: You can't get it out, then you have to uh, you know, land the airplane to get it out. But right, we had just just recently another flight. It was Hawaiian Airlines light Hollolulu to Tokyo this week. They had a declared emergency because they had a cell phone or mobile device that got lodged in a seat and they started to smell an electrical type of aroma and they had to declare them. Now, look, you're on a five and a half hour flight Hallolu to Tokyo over the water, it gets stuck, you start smelling that, and yeah, you declared emergency. They landed at their destination as quickly as they could, fire trucks standing by just in case. But these liftian batteries continue to become an issue, an issue, an issue. You can't ban them obviously from commercial flights, but I don't know what it's going to take because we've had situations where some of the power chargers they have overheated dramatically, right and there's there's been some that caught airplanes to catch on fire and things of this nature.
Speaker 2: So it's.
Speaker 4: It's something going to have to happen before we take some drastic steps.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You can't have people fly with their mobile devices. That simply is not going to happen. But for some strange reason, these lithium batteries are the only thing that we can do as far as from a charging standpoint, as far as a power pack, and it's creating some real issues. I mean, we've there's been airport videos of people walking through the airport with their phones and their backpack that immediately catch on fire, and then the backpacks on fire y quickly and when you're at an airport, that's one thing. But if you're in an airplane thirty five thousand feet that happens. I mean the flight attendants again, one more thing they have to take care of is to keep us safe by making sure that that onboard fire is quickly extinguished and contained well.
Speaker 1: Seeing to two solutions come in to mind very quickly. Have every seat built like in the you know, the the section where the fold out tray is. With a fire suppression bag, you can easily contain your fire, your cell phone, your laptop if it starts on fire starts smoking, that gives the passenger an immediate opportunity to stuff it away and prevent the fire from spreading.
Speaker 4: Do you think cheap airlines Well, I know, I know are going to pay to put that in every seapocket. We would like to, because you know what they tell us, Brian, safety is are number one priority. That's our number one.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 4: Profits are But that's why they would never do something like that because it would cost too much money. It's well, so many recommendations from the National Transportation Safety Board following a crash or a near crash or loss of life where the NTSB tells the FAA, here's fifteen different recommendations that'll make aviation safer. And the minute one of those starts to cost too much money, the FAA says, well, we're not gonna, you know, implement this recommendation, but you know, we'll consider some of the others. Money dictates everything, and that's why I want to throw up every time I hear one of these airline people CEOs talking about how safeties are number one priority. Well, it sounds really good, but it's not what really happens.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe if it's not in every seat, maybe at least one every five seats or something, you know, something that's easily accessible. I don't know, and I think about that laptop getting stuck between the seats. You know, they make products out there, like for automobiles that will close that gap. It's just a little thing, an insert you put in there. Ye, you know, maybe like a velcrow piece of fabric that closes up the gap where the laptop might get stuck, so you don't have to land the plane. You know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You know, if we have a loss of life, all these creative things are going to come to light and you'll see airlines that will, you know, pull a hamstring running to the podium to talk about how they're going to solve the problem. Well, why did it take a disaster before you did that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: It's like the plane crash in the helicopter Blackhawk in DC. We knew there was a problem with that airspace forever. Nothing was ever done until there's a loss of life, and then guess what changes are put in?
Speaker 1: Well speaking, yeah, well sot's speaking of that. We were at a break so well we'll catch it. You'll catch my listeners up on the most recent update on that, because yeat things have changed finally. Also, the deadline for the real ID is getting ready to kick in. Are you prepared more? With Jay Ratliffe after these brief words fifty five KRC, what if one more time for the Channel nine first Warning weather forecast. Scattered afternoon storms developing around one pm today and I have seventy eight down to fifty nine tonight with a slight chance of storms, seventy two to the high tomorrow, with mostly cloudy skies and some scattered afternoon storms at least possible overnight, a slight chance of rain in a low forty five in the weekend for the Flying Pike kicks off on Saturday with fifty chances of some spotty showers, and I have sixty three seventy degrees right now in time for traffic.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Tramphing Center. You see how weight Boss Center offers comprehensive obcdcare and advanced surgical expertise. Call five one three nine three nine two two sixty three. That's two sixty three. Cruise are just about ready to clear the accident on river at State. I'm starting to see traffic move a little bit better, but it's going to take a while to get rid of the backup which is passed Fairbanks southbound seventy five continued slow in and out of Lockland northbound seventy five. Heaviests from Erlanger Chuck Ingram on fifty five KROO see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey forty nine fifty five kercite talk Station Tech part to with Dave Hatter plus Corey Bowman on the program tomorrow. In the meantime, one more segment here with iHeartMedia Aviation. Next for Jay Ratliff. Jay, you mentioned a Blackhawk DC plane crash, which seems to be something that should never should have happened in the first place, Why in the hell is a helicopter flying in a flight path of airplanes and they had been warned about it too, and yet they disregarded the air tower. So what's the solution for this? What brilliance did they come up with that they should have come up with a long time ago.
Speaker 4: Well, they've stopped the helicopter routes across the river, for one thing, and that was something that I think should have been in a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 4: And the latest report that we had it kind of focuses in on the communication between air traffic controllers in that black Hawk helicopter, the last one being a request for the black Hawk to alter their approach and that didn't happen. And when it initially didn't happen, they're the flight instructor that was conducting the recurrent training for the woman that was the pilot in command, repeated the instructions to her, which she acknowledged, but there was no change in the course of the flight. So this happened thirteen seconds prior to impact. And we're looking at, Okay, why after receiving that set of instructions and then having your flight instructor repeat those to you. Was there no change implemented in the flight pass? So the thought is it could have boughttom obviously valuable time. Would it been enough, We don't know, but we certainly wish we would have had those thirteen seconds. They were still flying, I'm told the night vision goggles which severely limits their peripheral vision, so they may or may not have seen things at that point in time. Some people are critical of the air traffic controller for not being more vocal as or.
Speaker 2: As the urgency side of things.
Speaker 4: I'm not seeing that, although I can understand the point. But Brian, the air traffic control was constantly telling the black Hawk to keep an eye on the approaching regional jet. They were giving its location. The helicopter continued to indicate that they had the regional jet on final in visual. So the idea that air traffic control dropped the ball here, I didn't get that, because it seemed like they were very very particular as far as constantly letting that black Hawk helicopter know of that other traffic, and they must have just been looking at something completely different when they acknowledged that they had it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I saw that theory suggested that shortly after the incident occurred that there was another plane on final approach I guess behind the one that they ultimately ran into, and they may have had their eyes on that one and knew that they would be past that possibility or that that that that area by the time that one landed.
Speaker 4: So lord knows, the reportals show that, and the other thing will be there's probably multiple causes here on this particular disaster. That tends to be what happens. There's rarely just a single cause. It's normally.
Speaker 2: Several. But you know the idea.
Speaker 4: Well, the first thing, when we heard that the aircraft collision took place near three hundred feet, it was like, well time out here that that that can't be because the helicopters have that ceiling of two hundred feet and they'll higher. So, you know, was there equipment malfunctioning? Why were they at an altitude they should not have been at? Was you know, to me one of the biggest things. But there'll be about another eight months before the NTSB rolls out their final word and most, if not all the questions we have should be answered through that, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, well, I changes will be made something that we know right now is that why should they have been allowed to fly that way in that area and the first place. Anyhow, Uh, finally, before we get to the hub delays, the real idea I got kicks in on Monday.
Speaker 4: Right, Let's see, it's the seventh, I believe, so it'll be uh, I know it would.
Speaker 1: Be Wednesday, Wednesday or Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Excuse me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I flipped the can Yeah, in fact, it's May. And I was going to say, real quick, I'm thrilled because May means breeze. They're flying out of Cincinnata, Providence, given us that seasonal flight, and then we've got a legiance going to Gulf Shores in Portland. Golf Shores is big ones, So I'm thrilled that we flipped the calendar to May. But yes, the real ID act that has been in the work since two thousand and five kicks off on Wednesday. So passengers need to have the acceptable form of identification to a flight and to get into federal courthouses.
Speaker 2: So you've got to have that ID.
Speaker 4: And if you've not flown in a while, you can go to TSA dot gov and look at all of the acceptable IDs that you can have to fly as of the seventh and again, this is something that's been in the works for decades and it's finally coming to that point. Yet the TSA tells us Brian there could be twenty to twenty five percent of travelers this do not have the real ID. Now, if that's the case, you talk about fun come, oh lord. But my compliments to the government for making this effected in May. May is one of the slowest travel months of the year, So you're going to roll this bad boy out, not bad so unlike Southwest who's going to start charging check bags at the end of the month at the beginning of the busy summer travel season.
Speaker 2: That's going to be interesting is everybody tries to carry.
Speaker 4: Stuff on board the government again, I'll give them. I'll give them pro here because you know, doing it early in the month of May is going to give us a chance to work through it. Now, the TSA knows that you're going to have certain individuals that are going to get there and not have what they need. So there are provisions in place to try to work with those people as much as possible and as time allows, to try to help these individuals make their flight. So getting to the airport is you talk about mandatory big time for anybody that doesn't have what they need. And look, if I'm traveling with an acceptable form of identification, I'm anticipating delays. So I'm certainly going to get there earlier than normal because you don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good practice anyway. All right, we're out of time, but real quick, any problems going on out there today for uh hub Laces.
Speaker 2: Oh Sicago, don't go there.
Speaker 4: It's got tons of weather going to give us issues throughout the course of the day, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of delayed and canceled flights.
Speaker 4: Other than that, you know, from a hubstandpoint, that's pretty much a problem child.
Speaker 1: Of the day until next Friday. By to your friend Jay Ryle. If it's always a pleasure having on the program, I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful week, my friend. Eight fifty six folks, George Brenneman, Keith Tennefeld, our health experts, Rey Store Wellness in studio. Really wild information they provided today. Adam Taylor in studio as well in the Bengals Stadium thing in the Cleveland Brown Stu. It's a mess out there. Plus Jay Ratler fifty five krs dot com for the podcast. Thank you, Joe Stracker, executive producer, I appreciate what you do. Every day Tomorrow Tech Friday plus Corey Bowman Vote for Corey. Have a great day, folks. Glennbeck's coming right up, covering Trump's first one hundred days.
Speaker 4: Every day we stand on the verge of the four greatest years in American history.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRS the talk station. This report is sponsored