Speaker 1: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 1: A giant, hairy creature part eight parts.
Speaker 3: In Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monster Talk.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Hey. There are Monster Talkers. We had a crazy busy October, but I hope our vampire content was a fun companion for these autumn days and nights. We talked about vampires all month long, from the pathology of Renfield Syndrome, to authentic folk tales to just chatting about them in pop culture terms. Well, we have one more bite to take out of this delicious blood red apple. We're welcoming back Professor Joe Laycock to talk about his research into people who partake in consensual vampirism and their culture, which lurks within a lot of other better known yet gothically shadowy communities. These are people who not only believe their vampires, but routinely drink blood from willing donors. It's a wide ranging discussion. There's some role playing games there's some satanic panic, and of course there's murder. But I think Joe's helped me contextualize some of the folks I've met along the way in my travels in Atlanta's nightclubs, gaming, horror, and music scene back in the day. We hope you enjoy this discussion and check out the show notes for links to Joe's books.
Speaker 3: Monster.
Speaker 1: Are are you ready to just get rolling?
Speaker 4: Sure? Yeah, okay, cool.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna briefly say we're welcoming back. Joseph Flakecock and an assistant professor of religious studies at Texas State University who has written several books on new religious movements and a lot of topics that will be near and dear to Munster Talk listeners. And you're also the co editor of the journal Novo Religio. But we're bringing you on this time to be an expert about real life vampires. And you wrote a book I think it came out in two thousand and nine called Vampires Today, which also is like a great monthly magazine for the vampire.
Speaker 2: In your life, a newspaper.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Showger, Thanks always great to talk to you guys.
Speaker 1: So instead of having specific questions. We have a bunch of bullet points because this is a broad topic of which I think weirdly. I think Karen and I are informed about what happened, but we're pretty ignorant, and we're going to be a proxy for the possible ignorance of our audience. Just try to talk through this stuff to better understand about not vampires from movies, but people who sort of believe that they are vampires.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where do you want to start real vampires modern vampiism.
Speaker 3: When I think of real vampires, I think of people saying, oh, well, Dracula's based on blaod Tepis blood, the Impala or Elizabeth Bathrie.
Speaker 2: I think of that kind of thing. But that's not the kind.
Speaker 3: Of real vampires that you've written about and researched. So could you tell us a little bit about what modern vampiism or real vampires are?
Speaker 4: Sure, so I should be clear. You have psychiatric literature on people who are consuming human blood and are dangerous and basically have to be institutionalized. Richard Knowle as a psychiatrist, and he coined the term Renfield syndrome after the character from Dracula, to describe this condition. It's not in the DSM, but he's written about it. But when I looked at those cases, generally, the people who were actually like attacking people and consuming blood were so mentally ill that they didn't really even know why they were doing these things.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: They didn't say, oh, I did it because I'm a vampire. They would say, well, I don't have enough blood in my body or something like that. It would just be totally incoherent. It was the psychiatrist who saw that behavior and labeled it as vamporism. Right. So the people that I interviewed were not the criminally insane. Yeah, they were not committing crimes. But they did say that we're not like other people. That other people can just sort of you know, be healthy, but that our health deteriorates if we do not either consume actual human blood or sort of feed off of the psychic energy or life force of other people. And they said, they basically said, of vampire is a kind of shorthand to explain this condition that they believe.
Speaker 2: That they have.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, what immediately comes to mind is iron deficiency.
Speaker 2: How much does that play a part in this?
Speaker 4: Well, we don't know, right, you know, there have been analysis or medical interpretations of you know, iron deficiency, fibromyalgia, or or just it's psychosomatic.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You don't actually need to drink human blood. This is just in your head, right. How I got involved in this research was when I was in Atlanta. There was a group there called the Atlanta Vampire Alliance, and the Atlanta Vampire Alliance really wanted to know, why are we like this, right? What is going on with us? Is it? You know, is this actually some kind of poorly understood medical condition. Is there actually something metaphysical happening here? Are we just insane? And so they organized this survey which you can go find online the results of their survey, But they surveyed about a thousand people who consider themselves to be a vampires as a very very long survey, but it asked all kinds of questions about medical history, religion, the type of books they read, the type of movies they watch, and so forth. And at the time, you know, I was going back to graduate school to get my PhD. Or I was thinking about doing it, and I thought, this is really interesting. You know, if you just wanted to pretend to be a vampire, this is a lot of work that these people are putting into this, right, Yes, this is a lot of a commitment. And I'm a religious studies person. All the literature from the perspective of religious studies was very, very bad and basically saying that vampirism is basically a satanic cult that hates Christianity and that murders people, and and there was an article in like the Encyclopedia of American Religious Cultures basically saying these things. And the person who wrote this article had never actually talked to a self identified vampire, which that's not fair. You can't write an Encyclopedia article about, you know, Baptists if you've never once been a Baptist. Yeah. Yeah, So so my plan at the time was I was going to the American Academy of Religion conference. That's a big national conference of about nine thousand religion scholars, because I was applying to grad school and I basically wanted to kind of press the flesh and give a face to associate with, you know, with anybody reading my application to grad school. But I didn't want to make it obvious that I was doing that. So I thought, I know, I'll present a paper, and then I'll say I'm here to present a paper, and and by the way, you know, you look for my application this this fall. And so I went to the vampires and I said, look, I want this to be a win win, right. I am trying to get a conference paper out of this that people will find interesting, but I want this to be a chance for you to kind of help maybe clear up some misconceptions about your community. And so they eventually, you know, kind of let me hang out with them and sort of learn what they were all about. And I gave the paper, and then afterwards I was approached by an acquisition editor from a publisher who said, can you make this into a book?
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 4: And I was in my twenties, I had never written. It was the first book I ever wrote. But the editor knew something that I didn't know at the time, which was that Twilight was on the horizon.
Speaker 1: Ah, yeah, true.
Speaker 4: Blood was on the horizon. So this book came out in two thousand and nine and I had this bizarre fifteen minutes of fame when everybody wanted to talk to me about vampires. And at the height of it, MTV called me and asked if I would host a show where I went around the United States interviewing teenage vampires, and at the end, MTV went with this other show instead called Jersey Shore. There's an alternate timeline somewhere where I'm snooky.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, that is so funny. But yeah, I told you guys offline that. You know, I lived in the Metro Atlanta area in the nineties, so I remember when Vampire the Masquerade game had blown up, and it kind of overlapped with a bridjoining goth culture. There was a club here called the Masquerade, and there were lots of people who were sort of LARPing Vampire and not just playing it like a It was quite different from Dungeons and Dragons, and I wondered how much these self identifying vampires overlapped with the people who played the game. Is that two circles that don't touch? Are is there an overlap or is it a circle in a circle or where did you kind of sort of find that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, there's there's huge overlap. So you know, Vampire the Mass Grade is an amazing game. You know, I played that game back in the nineties. But they created an entire sort of alternate world where it's it's our world. You know, human history as we know it existed, but there were vampires and werewolves the whole time, you know, behind the scenes, changing things, and so the it's really easy to get kind of enthralled in this. And they made all these endless details about different clams of vampires and their society and their rules and and so forth, right to the point where people would go on like AOL chat rooms where people were talking about this game and not understand that it was a game. Yes, right, because because it seems so real, it was so detail oriented, right, and then it was a really fun game to play. And some of the vampires that I interviewed, particularly in the New York scene, the New York scene was very focused on kind of the club the club culture. Oh yeah, the goth This was the if you've ever seen the movie A Party Monster, right, this was the era when when when that was happening in New York. And they said, well, look, this was a fun game. Why can't we do this all the time?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why why why do I only have to be a vampire lord? You know on Saturday night? I want to do this twenty four or seven. So so at least one person actually admitted that Michelle Belonge, who has appeared on a Paranormal State and things like that, as sort of an intellectual leader for this community, and she's written some of the best history about it from an insider perspective, and she said, yeah, we would. We would play Vampire the Masquerade, and then you know, after the game was over around two in the morning, if somebody was wearing, say a whole lot of occult jewelry or you know, suggested that they were into kind of a cult or metaphysical things, then I would I would. I would chat them up and say, you know, do you what do you think about the idea of some people are actually vampires. So I don't think that the real vampire community would have ever gotten to the size that it did if it weren't for that game.
Speaker 1: She's interesting. She self identifies as a psychic vampire, and she's on social media. It's interesting. When I first saw her on Paranormal State, I didn't like the way they presented her like she as a skeptical person. It annoyed me. But interacting with her own social media, it turns out we have a lot in common, and I've had some very pleasant exchanges. So she probably doesn't remember me, but I've had some very nice conversations with her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she used to have a podcast called Shadow Dance, and I think she's very well read and very well spoken and very smart. But she has these subjective experiences involving, you know, energy and sort of feeding on on subtle energy. Right, And as a religion scholar, I just have to listen to people describe their experiences. What am I going to say? You know you yeah, you didn't experience that?
Speaker 1: Right now, it would end the conversation.
Speaker 3: Speaking of that, mentioning the Atlanta Vampire Alliance and spending time with them, can you tell us a little bit about what you learned from these people? And how big these numbers are, I mean, how many people are getting into this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we don't really have good numbers. They were able to get a thousand people to fill out this survey, but not all of those people strictly identified as vampires. Some of them may have defined themselves as an energy worker or something like that. And you know, we never we never really know. Is this just a joke?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: If somebody filled the survey where they were they serious about it? And also there is a great deal of paranoia in this community, and some of it is justified. I met vampires living in the Bible Belts who were basically outed as vampires and you know, would be fired from their job or kicked out of their church or whatever for this. So when you have that kind of paranoia and somebody on the Internet says, hey, put all your information in this survey, you know, there really were rumors within the community that the Atlanta Vampire Alliance was like, you know, the Men in Black or something, and they were here to round up all the vampires and put them in interment camps or something like that.
Speaker 2: So we don't know.
Speaker 4: The numbers that I've heard is you know, several thousand, and those are just guesses from people like Michelle Belanje. So it's hard to tell. And there are people who you know, kind of phase out of this right that after a while they're like, oh, you know, maybe I'm not really a vampire. So it can be hard to tell.
Speaker 1: It does remind me a little bit of my experiences with the SCA Society for the Creative Anachronism, So where you have people who do it on the weekend, you know, and that's what they do and that's all, and you have people who live it every day. And my experience playing Vampire the role playing game reminds me a little bit of have you ever been to like those? Like I've never been to Williamsburg with that kind of a place where people are doing a reenactment and they will not break character, and it's like really frustrating. I've had some vampire experiences like that where it's like, I know, you're not a blood drinking vampire, but you're also not this person that you're pretending to be and that's really hard to have a conversation.
Speaker 4: So, you know, Michelle Balajay talks about what she calls womb communities, right, so one of them is the Vampire Larp, but another actually is things like renfares. You know, this figure in New York named Father Sebastian is what's called a fang smith. So he has some training and dentistry and he'll make you these very nice, realistic things. Yeah, I mean I think he has trained as like a dental assistant or something like that. I'm not really sure, but he makes good fangs. But he started what's that are?
Speaker 2: Are they like veneres or like caps or can you take them off?
Speaker 4: You can take them out, and they even I think they have different styles. Like if you want kind of say the Lost Boys fangs versus the you know, dust till Dawn fangs or something. There are people who get permanent fangs made out of usually porcelain or something. And my understanding is if you do that, you have to kind of learn how to eat and drink and talk.
Speaker 2: Usually it's the reverse, and you're getting caps to cover that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: But Father Sebastian talked about getting started in all of this at the Tuxedo Renaissance Festival in New York. And one term used within the vampire community to talk about normal people people like me is mundanes. And that's a term that comes from rent fairs, right, That's what you call the guy at the rend fairs just wearing jeans and a T shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we would frequently go to the mall, you know, to get some food in our sca garb and call it freaking the mundanes. Absolutely, that's all over that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I imagine that's probably true for furries too, but I don't know that for a fact.
Speaker 2: But sure, yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: No, I have a line. I have a line. So let's talk about that psychic versus sanguinarian. What is that the main split within that group? And is it a split I mean, or is it how do they get along? You know that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, you know, drinking blood is kind of the sun quanan of being a vampire, and so the so called sanguinary and vampires, first of all, I should be clear, they're not drinking very much blood, right right, So they're finding they're finding a donor. And you know, it's only after I've finished this research that I realized the donors are kind of weirder than the vampires.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Its because because the vampires at least are like, I need this to be healthy, but the donors are like, you know, I'm just gonna find someone to cut me and drink some of my blood. And and for at least some donors I met, this was a sexual thing, you know, they got sexual gratification from it. But for others they just sort of felt, I don't know that this was a chance to be compassionate towards somebody. So so a lot of the discourse within the segmentariums is, well, if you're going to drink human blood, it's never a healthy thing to do. So what can you do to kind of reduce the risk, you know, getting like an STD test for your donor helps, but STED tests are meant to measure sexually transmitted diseases, not diseases from drinking blood. There's a lot of discussion about what is the part of the body that will be the least painful and leave the less scarring, and a lot of them said, well, kind of the back, kind of between the shoulder blades is actually very good for that. Some of them use lancets used by diabetics to test their blood sugar to extract a few drops of blood. And then you have the psychic vampires. And the idea of psychic vampirism really in Western culture comes out of nineteenth century occultism. Right. It's almost an old joke Hunger Show Blake, But everything goes back to theosophy. The theosophists said, well, vampires are real, they're just not what you think. You know, vampires are, you know, either corpses that are sort of astrally projecting and sucking up your life force, or they're sort of disembodied kind of ghosts. That feed on energy and so forth, and they said, some people are you know, they're sort of psychic sponges and they just feed on the life force of everybody around them. And the occult literature was basically, these people are really bad. You need to avoid them, and here are some rituals and things that you can use to protect yourself from them. And Michelle balannge describe growing up, you know, being an occult nick teenager and reading about this and thinking, oh, my gosh, I think they're talking about me. I think I'm one of these psychic sponges that they're talking about. So the psychic vampires have said, well, you know, we're not just parasites, we're kind of energy manipulators, and so we could sort of feed on people's life for us in a way that's unethical. And Michelle Balange talks about, you know, I'm on a plane and there's a crying baby, and I could you know, suck enough energy out of that baby so we would go to sleep. She said she thinks she could do that at one point, but instead I could go to like a concert where everybody's already in kind of a high energy state, and I can siphon off some of their energy and maybe even kind of almost like sculpt the crowd's energy in a way that they have like a better time at the at the concert.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And I talked to people from Asia about this, and and they're like, of course people suck your energy. Of course there's people like that. Well, why are you calling them vampires? That's very dramatic.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know about you, but I've dated a few people who snapped my energy really badly. You know, it's not just a metaphor, right.
Speaker 4: Anton LaVey had this whole thing about you know, no no mercy for psychic vampires. Right. But in Asia, where there are more established ideas of things like chi energy or prana, it's it's much more normal to just say, oh, yeah, you know, I I got my my prana drained because I was hanging around the wrong people. Today, it's not seen as this kind of mystical occult a secret so on the on the Internet, which is really where the vampire community kind of took its form as it exists today, you initially had some sparring between people saying, well, you know, real vampires drink blood, You guys don't drink blood. You're just sort of, you know, just whatever. And then the psychic vampire is saying, well, no, actually, you know, you still require this physical medium to get life for us, but we are more evolved than you and we can just sort of siphon it off. And I think eventually they decided that, you know, it was better for them to hang together they would hang separately. And there are also vampires who say that they're hybrids and they can kind of use either feeding modality. So those are the main types. And there are also some people who say, well, I'm a vampire and I feed tantrically, you know, I feed on sexual energy, with erotic encounters with with partners, or even vampires who say I'm I feed on you know, electricity or thunderstorms or you know, elements like like like this. So it can kind of go a lot of places. But basically the versus sanguinary and those are the main types.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The psychic vampires makes me think of what we do in the Shadows and the character Colin Robinson.
Speaker 2: I don't think Blake has seen it yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Colin Robbinson is a perfect example, right of this idea of psychic and sanguinary and vampires. This was also referenced on South Park. South Park did an episode that self identified vampires and this discourse of psychic versus sanguinaria and comes up on the show.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask you, Joe, with you talking about those that drink blood and have donors, how do they extract the blood?
Speaker 4: Right? Well, they learned really fast that the worst possible way to extract blood from a human being is to bite them. That is the most painful, inefficient, unsanitary thing you could possibly do. So what's more common is either just kind of you know, nicking them like I said, between the shoulder blades so that just a little bit of blood comes out, or using uh, you know, like a test test test needles that you can get at the store for for for testing diabetes. I've heard of other techniques out there, like one person on a forum was a veterinarian and had some kind of special sort of triangular shaped needles from from doing veterinarian work. I've also seen discussions of well, if you're gonna put your mouth on your donor, you know, take a good hit of mouthwash first, Yeah, help reduce the chance of infection.
Speaker 1: This is the sort of thing that may could only have come together after the Internet. I don't know how a community like this could have sort of met easily and quietly before that, But there are sort of precursors here, I think. And I'm curious as to how much you think pop culture influences these communities, because it seems to influence a lot of other monsters in ways we never would have thought of when we first started doing the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean it's very difficult trying to learn the history of this before the Internet, because everybody in the vampire subculture there's a real demand to be an elder. Elder is a term that comes from the LARP, right, Yeah, and to kind of set yourself up as knowing secrets and sort of being more important and having a deeper or more interesting history than the real history. So sometimes I would interview someone and then another vampire would say that guy's a total liar. Don't listen anything that he said, right, all it's all made up. Some of the more reliable things I could find, though, is that one kind of very early place where this kind of commune conform is in horror fandom. Yeah, and particularly the show Dark Shadow So Dark Shadows was a soap opera in the sixties, and originally it was just going to be a kind of gothic soap opera set in Collinsport, Maine, and they got terrible ratings and the show was going to be canceled, and so they just said, well, screw it, let's have a vampire.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you had a show on, you know, a network daytime television with a vampire and people love the vampire. The vampire saved the show. And then they were like, well, great, but we can't kill the stupid vampire now because that's the only reason people are watching. So maybe he's not an evil vampire. Maybe he's a reluctant vampire and he actually wants to be human again, and that made it even better. Yeah, and Anne Rice was watching Dark Shadows was a influence on Interview with a Vampire, where you have this reluctant, sympathetic a vampire character. So Dark Shadows had a huge following and there would be just like today, there would be conventions in hotels and I found multiple sources describing a woman who went to a Dark Shadows convention in the seventies and said, I'm a real vampire and if you want to get bit, here's my room number. And then they're just being the line of people down the hall waiting for their turn to go in there and get bits. So that's all from the pre internet era.
Speaker 1: Wow, just for listeners. The Dark Shadows was a Dan Curtis show who went on to make coul Check The Nightstalker so and a lot of other cool horror shows. So I guess he really leaned into that vampire stuff after that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you know, Kojak The Nightstalker was a great show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then and then of course there was the kind of forgettable remake with Johnny Depp, but it was a character that, yeah, that's what I always wanted to play, Barnabas Collins, the Vampire.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay. I saw they also did a make of the culturec show and I thought that wasn't Junny Depp, but that's okay, Yeah, yeah, you're right. The movie yeah, and they made it into a comedy instead of you know, Barnabas Collins I think was played by what Jonathan fred and just did a great performance. And later on in life he went around and did these talking tours where I think he did pose stories and that sort of gothic thing, and I liked him a lot, so yeah, sorry to see his past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a surprisingly good show considering they had to put it out an episode like every single day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm wondering if there are other people listening to this and thinking what I'm thinking, and that is only in America. But this kind of thing happened, So, Joe, is this kind of thing happening in other parts of the Western world. Is it happening in Australia, in the UK or other cultures non Western cultures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely happening in other cultures. I even got an email not too long ago from somebody saying, you know, hey, I'm in the UK and I'm a vampire. Can you help me meet other vampires? My understanding is, you know, American vampires are a little bit more media friendly and flamboyance, and the UK vampire is a bit more shy and easily embarrassed about being outed as a vampire. The Atlanta Vampire Alliances survey was translated into I think five different languages. There appeared to be actually a sizable community in Russia, and then you know, they just ask people what country are you in? And again we don't know if they're being honest, but the countries that were reported, there was a significant group in Japan, which is not so surprising. Japan's very into Gothic culture and vampires, and even places in the Middle East and in Muslim majority countries where you wouldn't really expect to find vampire culture being as popular. So I think it's actually fairly widespread. I've also gotten emails from people in South America as telling me that who want me to know that their vampires and they're in South America.
Speaker 2: Wow, interesting.
Speaker 1: Global phenom, the universal So I remember a very big news story about a vampire murder, and I know you're informed about that as well. So that was the Rod Is it Pharrell?
Speaker 4: I think it's feral?
Speaker 1: Is it feral Rod Ferrell murder? And how that sort of ties into this? But I hope what I hope is the tail end of the pict But does it feel like it's quite gone? But yeah, can you talk about that case a little bit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Rod Ferrell was sixteen and actually we were born the same year, So I think a lot about Rod Ferrell's life sometimes because in some ways we were very similar. We had similar interests and stuff, but I had, you know, a family, Yeah, yeah, and I really really did not. You know, his his mother had been, you know, basically a sex worker and seemed to have basically the mindset of a child, not an adult. And he was on a lot of drugs too, which which didn't help. But he was very charismatic and imaginative, and he had this kind of coterie of friends and he said, you know, we're we're a vampire clan, and he was drawing heavily on Vampire the Masquarade. My understanding is he only actually played Vampire the mass Garade once and he was asked not to come back because he was on drugs. So so it was not the case of, you know, he just played the game too much and lost touch with reality. That's not something that that happens in real life, right.
Speaker 2: But he was.
Speaker 4: He was troubled, and his mother was actually being charged with basically the corruption of a minor, you know, giving a really kind of saucy sort of love letter to I think one of his younger peers or something like that. And so he decides, he gets his vampire clients, is let's leave town. I have an old girlfriend in Eustas, Florida, and she's saying, you know, my parents are being really mean to me. I wish somebody would just kill them. So they steal a car and they head down to Eustace and Rod Ferrell goes into the house. On his way, he get interest through the garage. He picks up a crowbar and he ends up beating this girl's parents to death. She doesn't know. She's outside waiting to sort of meet the other teenagers. So when Rod Ferrell comes back in the car and says, I killed your parents, she doesn't believe him because he says weird stuff all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, And they drive to New Orleans and it gradually dawns on her he wasn't kidding. He really killed my parents. And then he ends up basically turning himself in and so he has a good chance of sort of being in prison for the longest of any time ever, right, because he basically got a life sentence at the age of sixteen. He was going to get the death penalty. I don't think he's still on death row, but he's definitely still in prison. So when this happened, the sort of satanic Panic, Dungeons and Dragons. Panic immediately swooped in, right, and they said, this game makes people kill parents, right, that this game is making teenagers kill people. There was a guy named Don Raymer who was basically a Satanic cult cop right saying, you know, he literally said if your daughter reads Twilight, she'll murder you in your sleep. Before he died, so he comes and exploits this college campuses all over America start banning vampire the Masquerade. And what this did to the vampire community is it split this kind of easy relationship between the gamers and the so called real vampires because the gamers wanted to be crystal clear vampires don't exist, and if you say you're a vampire, we think you're crazy, and the vampires wanted to be really clear that well, we're not just crazy gamers. It wasn't like we played one game of Masquerade too many. This is really kind of who we are, and this is really how we've made sense of our life and our experience. And the reality was these two communities had quite a lot in common, but Rod Ferrell kind of forced them to deny that connection existed.
Speaker 2: So tragic story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is a tragic story. And as after I've written my book, I mean, at some point I need to kind of revisit the vampire subculture and update the book because I'm not twenty seven anymore and I have more insight into things. Yeah, but with Rod Ferrell, you know, people were saying, well, was he mentally ill or was he this is a sacrifice to the devil or whatever. I don't think he had any plan whatsoever when he went into that house except to maybe get some some things he could sell to kind of stay on the run. But I read a book by a Japanese sociologist named A Kuyasato about the the Bozo Zoku, who are these sort of you know, criminal biker teams in Japan, And he found that these were all all from pretty good homes, pretty affluent homes. But he describes this as being a sort of corrupted play where they're sort of playing the role of being a dangerous biker until they actually, you know, actually commit a crime, and then it's no longer funny anymore. Now you actually are a criminal biker. And I think something similar happened with Rod Ferrell, where he sort of was kind of playing a game with his friends of being this dangerous vampire cult leader figure until he actually killed someone. And now you can't quit playing the game right now. Now it's not a role playing game. Now, that's just your role in society.
Speaker 1: I got that very impression when I saw him on interviews back in the day, and it was very I don't usually sit around thinking I have some degree of sympathy for this kill, but I just felt like somebody along the way could have pulled him back. Maybe that's not true, but it feels like that, you know, So it's unfortunate.
Speaker 4: Well, and I did a show for MSNBC where they interviewed him in prison, and we did this very silly thing where they put me in an office and they blacked out all the windows and turn out all the lights and made me watch the interview of him in prison, and he tries to play the Satanic panic card. So he says, yes, I killed these people, but it's not my fault because I was raising a Satanic cult and I witnessed human sacrifices as a child, so I never had a chance to be normal. And MSNBC is eating this up, and they're saying he's never told anybody about this before.
Speaker 1: This is a scoop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, And I said, look, I convinced a bunch of teenagers who was a four hundred year old vampire, and now he's convinced you that he saw human sacrifice. Yeah, it's all nonsense, and you guys should know better. And they said, well, what do you mean? And I said, I mean the Satanic panic? And they said, what's the Satanic panic? What are you talking about? Wow, journalism that any of this had ever happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it goes to show there are a lot of people out there who just aren't familiar with it, and they hear these stories and keep repeating them as truth.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And they weren't going to let it go. It was too good to let go. So I tried to kind of, you know, as just a graduate student, try to kind of explain that the Satanic Satanic panic was a panic, and they edited down to me saying basically like, but you know, we don't really have any evidence for any of.
Speaker 1: This, right, Christ, Oh, at least you tried. Oh my god, did the right thing. Yeah. Wow, Well that's that's a sad note. But we're out of time. Are you working on anything fun right now?
Speaker 4: I'm currently working on Lizard People. I'm currently trying to convince an agent for one of the big publishers that they should let me write a book on the history of you know, shape shifting reptilians, from Roberty Howard to this guy in Nashville blowing up an AT and T Center. Yeah, because it's a very interesting history and as far as I can tell, nobody really knows it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is certainly, I mean, it's certainly not widely known. If we did an episode just on the Shaver mystery, and oh my god, it was so hard to pull from so many sources because it's there's just not a go to, you know, there's not a single volume that kind of collects everything well.
Speaker 4: And I've discovered a straight line between people who knew Shaver personally and then people who began saying things like there's an underground military base in Dulce, New Mexico full of reptilians. So I've started to make my own kind of conspiracy web putting all these players together. It's driving Natasha crazy.
Speaker 1: But you know, there are I mean, there a lot of connections. Uh, there are a lot, And I don't think of it as necessarily a conspiracy theory, but you know, it's it's a little bit like the Lovecraftian Circle of Letters, where people keep contributing to the lore and then you get this mythos developed. It's pretty crazy, but it's.
Speaker 4: Literally the Lovecraftian circle of Letters. It's literally Lovecraft and other wheel weird tale authors saying, Oh, serpent people, that's cool, I'll help story.
Speaker 2: I look forward to this book, and I'm sure it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, gotta, it's gotta. So let us know if we need to do, go fund me or whatever. All right, Joe, thanks a lot for talking with us again.
Speaker 2: Say hey, Atasha and uh yeah, always great to talk to you.
Speaker 1: We will talk to you again later.
Speaker 4: Happy Halloween, fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah Halloween's well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mobs, you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolzner. You just heard an interview with Professor Joseph Lacock discussing the world of real vampires. Check the show notes for lots of reading from his deep and thoughtful examinations of fringe and weird beliefs. We hope you enjoyed this episode of monster Talk. Our goal here is to bring you the best in monster related content with a focus on scientific skepticism and critical thinking. If you enjoy our show and want to support our mission, start out by visiting monster talk dot org forward slash support. That's monster talk dot org forward slash Support. There you'll find links to our Patreon page, as well as a donate button if you'd like to just make a one time contribution. A great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon wish list. These are books that directly help with our monster research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we're also very fond of kindle edihes because of their easily searched content and without spending any money at all. You can support and raise the profile of the show by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners. Finally, remember to share episodes you really like with your friends and family. You can help make Monster Talk the nightlight that keeps monsters away from someone you love. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach stealing monkeys. Stay tuned. We have more coming soon, including Griffin's new Monster Festivals and a look at the Talking Mongos movie. We'll crawl back into your ears next time. This has been a Monster House presentation.