Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapist Podcast. My name is gimickperson. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show five four, three, two and one our folks, welcome back to the podcast. Very excited to have as my guest today. Crystal Kasagnasi. Crystal welcome, Thank you all right. Crystal is a registered psychologist and the founder of Thrive Psychology Health Team. With nearly a decade of experience supporting children, adolescents, adults and families, Crystal specializes in comprehensive psychological assessments and evidence based therapy for anxiety, depression, trauma, and neurodivergence. A neurodivergent practitioner and parent herself, she brings both clinical expertise and lived experience to her work, offering a trauma formed and affirming perspective. Our Crystal. Obviously just a little bit about you, but before we going share with the listeners where you're from originally and where you are currently, and then we'll get going.
Speaker 2: So I am a first generation Canadian, So I was born in Toronto and I still reside in the Greater Toronto area. My parents are originally from Bulgaria and so they immigrated to Canada before I was born with my older sister.
Speaker 1: All Right, so how does all this start for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely as a story there.
Speaker 2: I think for many of us in this field, without a purpose, passion might not always be there. And so there definitely was a time where I too, myself struggled with my own mental health, and I think one being a first generation Canadian is tricky, and so definitely the layers there and navigating that where you're in a society, your parents are coming from a different society, friction is, they're struggling, they're trying to figure it out and doing the best that they can with the resources that they have. But it all came to like a screeching salt, and I thought I hit rock bottom when I was probably about sixteen years old in Grade ten, and thought that I didn't want to live anymore. And so thankfully I'm alive and I'm still here, and I had help from a professional.
Speaker 3: But that's really what started.
Speaker 1: If you're jumping over all these chapters, you're giving us the intro and the epilogue. What was going on for you? I mean you mentioned the backdrop, but specifically to the degree that you feel comfortable. What were you experiencing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, like you mentioned, I am late diagnosed neuro divergent, so I didn't know back then, but the struggles were definitely there.
Speaker 3: I didn't wake up in my.
Speaker 2: Thirties and become an ADHD or autistic.
Speaker 3: It was there.
Speaker 2: I just didn't have the language to really understand that. And so traditionally I always did quite well in school, but again I did struggle with deadlines, procrastination, getting things done, and I remember there was summatives is what we would call it, final exams, assignments, all of these things come to a close at the end of the year. And I went to a school that was non semestered, so I had eight courses that I had to deal with, So that would have been eight exams and eight final projects that I postponed and delayed and put off to the very end, and so it was the end of the world that I had to get it all done.
Speaker 1: So this was going on for you, was undiagnosed? Did this show up symptomatically in terms of what anxiety stress I'm imagining.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it did show up sabbatically.
Speaker 2: I had a panic attack, which I had no idea what that was. And I remember it was the dead of winter in Canada and I was walking with my friend and I just couldn't breathe, I couldn't see. I started to feel dizzy, and she was like, do I call an ambulance?
Speaker 3: What do I do?
Speaker 2: And I was like sixteen years old, and I had no idea what was happening. In my mind, I probably thought I was having a heart attack or dying or something, which of course we know make things worse. And so that was my body showing me how stressed out I was.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I did go to the hospital. They did tell me it was a panic attack, but I don't think I really made sense of it back then like I do now. And I continued to push myself and then I just couldn't take it anymore.
Speaker 3: There was too many things.
Speaker 2: I felt like my parents didn't get me, they didn't get it. I felt like I was alone and the only one in this world that was dealing with this thing. And so oh, I one night was like, I don't want to be here anymore.
Speaker 3: But I'm still here.
Speaker 1: So what did you do with that one night? Did you just had that thought? Did you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So thank you for asking.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much detail you want, but I am going to open it too, because I do think.
Speaker 1: People are going to connect with you with your story, right, I mean, this is what this podcast is about. I don't want just a thirty thousand foot view of what's going on. To the degree that you feel comfortable sharing, is a lot of people have that same experience? What was yours?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, So I guess I had said this is it, I'm done with this place, and I had some minde all and tyin a li all and I took a whole bunch right, And I remember crying and feeling absolutely like out of it. I couldn't walk and I was like, wait, no, what's happening?
Speaker 3: I why did I do this? And I had to crawl.
Speaker 2: To my older sister's room and she had she was two rooms down for me, and I crawled there and it was like nighttime, and so I literally grasped onto her and said I need help. And I guess like she woke up in a panic. My parents woke up in a panic. Didn't know what happened. I couldn't talk, I was like out of it, and so they took me to an emergency and I guess at that time they like hooked me up to IVS and try to get things out of my system. And I was okay, thankfully, but yeah, I guess I really was done at that time. And then in that's liver of a moment, I was like wait, wait, like what did I just do? And I thankfully someone was there that really one helped me physically. But then afterwards I got connected with supports from my mental health that really helped me with that and really pave the journey for me to say, hey, like I had this experience, I really struggled. Someone was there for me, and I want to do this for others as well.
Speaker 1: Well. Okay, so how does the healing journey for you unfold? And how old are you at this point?
Speaker 3: I am thirty two years old this year.
Speaker 1: So when you had that experience, I was sixteen. Okay, so you get help. Someone hears you at what point? But you said you weren't diagnosed. You weren't diagnosed at that point? We were you diagnosed with anything at that point?
Speaker 2: No? Your point and I think healing definitely is a lifelong journey, and I strongly believe that we're always healing and learning and unlearning. So even though I've healed, I'm still very much so in that state where I'm always trying to improve. But what had happened is I saw a psychiatrist at the hospital and a social worker and didn't deem meet at risk enough. So I was at home and I had to go back to school. And my mom, coming from a household of an immigrant right where traditionally mental health all of these things, it's very nuanced and we don't really talk about it, don't know how to support.
Speaker 3: I remember hearing things like.
Speaker 2: Kind of like ignored, yeah, and you know, bless her because she didn't know what to do. And she went to my high school and was like, this is what happened.
Speaker 3: Help me.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do. And I think in that moment as a teenager, I hated her for it because I felt embarrassed and humiliated. But looking back, thank goodness she did that. So of course, in Canada when there's difficulties like this, and in the States as well, right, we have systems that support students as best as they can, and so I was connected with the school social worker, which was phenomenal. It was a wonderful experience for me. And I think, you know, a part of it is I was getting involved with like the wrong crowd and skipping school, you know, not really anchoring myself in my academic success that I did have. And so this person just told me straight and kind of helped me, you know, anchor myself.
Speaker 3: And they told.
Speaker 2: Me, if I want to pursue this, because I had shared with them, you really helped me. I want to do this, that I had to put in the hard work. So they were able to help me find places to volunteer in in high school. But I had to show up and I had to you know, interview, and I had to do it.
Speaker 3: I ended up.
Speaker 2: Switching high schools through conversations with them my parents. You know, eight courses was a lot to carry. So I switched schools to wat get away from some of these relationships that were kind of putting me in a tough spot, but also to manage four courses at a time and not having to carry that heavy of a load. And so grade twelve, I went to a new school, no friends, I really locked in on my studies because I'm like, I'm going to university and that I did, and I went to my undergrad which again you know, first and second year, boy were they tough and I wanted to drop out. I told my boyfriend at the time. My parents like, I am done. I am not doing this. It is too hard. I am too tired. And looking back, I think definitely, you know, like cycle of burnout. I was burnt out, and so thankfully around the same time my school went on strike, so I had that pause. I kind of recentered, found my passion again and pushed through. In psychology. Undergrad psyche it is brutal. You learn everything and anything, and it is multiple choice. And so for someone with ADHD autism, even though I didn't know it, you struggle with executive functioning and so multiple choice and a million one things to know they don't not go hand in hand. But by my third and my fourth year, where I really focused in on therapy, you know, psychology topics, more applicable skills, counseling skills, That's when I felt more grounded and I met the next person in my journey that really believed in me and inspired me and was like you got to keep going. Because I knew I had this goal, I just didn't know how I was going to get there.
Speaker 3: And so when it got hard, was.
Speaker 2: I wanted to be a psychologist, right, and so I knew this is what I wanted to do, and I didn't know if it was possible, if I could do it, if I could get there. I realized that the more that I thought about it and try to map it out, the more anxious I got about it. And so I think my brain just kind of focused on the here and now, and looking back, I think everything fell into place the way that it did, but definitely there was that hard work along the way and those people that believed in me along the way. And so in fourth year I had a wonderful professor that was like, you should go to grad school. There's this program. It's really great. You know, in Canada we have like public institutions and private institutions. There was this program that is private, but it's more so focused on like the clinical skills rather than the research. And I think research never has been my bread and butter. So they recommended this program. I did an interview, I got in, you know, and I did this clinical psych program, which was great. I didn't struggle at all academically. I felt like because it was my passion, my interest, I was motivated. Those attentional difficulties were not as hard to keep up with, right like, I was able to manage. And then after that I did go back to you know, the field and start working. I started working in a school board with students, which was great. I've always worked in school board settings, but also private practice settings because with today's day and age and economy, I couldn't just have one job.
Speaker 3: I had to have multiples. So I liked the balance of that and.
Speaker 2: Being able to work in a school setting, but then also to be able to work in a private setting where the therapy, you know, the assessments, they were more complex and thorough. In the school system, you know, we are limited in terms of the time we have with students and the services that we could offer.
Speaker 3: So I enjoyed that balance.
Speaker 2: And then I had some kids, so I'm a mom of three. I had my first child, and I was planning for my second while also going back to school to do my doctorate. So now going back to like more of a public setting, I decided to go to the university of Toronto and do my doctorate just because I wanted to get more schooling. And so I'm like, I need to do an assessment. I know I struggled in the past with school. I know this has been hard, and so I'd like some formal accommodations. And so I went into it thinking that I had anxiety and you know, thought maybe at times when there was those lows and maybe it was depression. And the wonderful psychologist told me it was ADHD, and I was like, wow, okay, it is ADHD.
Speaker 3: I kind of wondered at some times, but I didn't know. And so.
Speaker 2: University to have a critical mind and to question things, and so naturally I did, and I did do a second assessment. And so before I started ADHD medication, I was like, I need to be one hundred and twenty percent. I want a second opinion. I want to make sure that this fits right, a little bit of the denial mindset, which did also confirm it.
Speaker 1: And then Crystal, So these assessment was with These were psychological assessments like a battery of peste.
Speaker 3: So I did.
Speaker 2: My first assessment was a psychological assessment, and then I was like, let me see what a medical doctor psychiatrist has to say, right, some differences there, and they both came to the same conclusion.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, so wow, at what point do you learn about the now pardon my ignorance here, does autism and HGAD fall under the topic of neurodivergence or just is that just autism? They both do, yes, okay.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah the autism that didn't comme until later, right, So I wasn't identified early on, but this is common, right. ADHD often does overshadow or conceal autistic traits. And so even with my own clients, with colleagues, people that I know with, we all joke around and say that ADHD is like that gateway diagnosis to autism, right. I think societally it has become more you know, accepted, right, a lot more understanding about ADHD to start. We feel more comfortable receiving this diagnosis where autism or you know, is still not so much understood or accepted or you know, not there yet but hopefully soon. And so once I got that adh SHE diagnosis, I started taking medication, which like one hundred and fifty percent confirmed it because I was like, wow, this is what it's like to you know, not be distracted.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And with that, definitely I felt more equipped. But of course, you know, there was grief there for that sixteen year old girl that almost died because she was struggling with ADHD and didn't have the tools to cope with it. Right, And so definitely, through my own therapy works through that portion of things. Had a couple more kids. So I'm a mom of three, and I remember social media right wonderful and many different ways. We do have to take things with the grain of salt. But I do think that in today's day and age, through podcasts, through conversations, through posts, this is where we're doing the big learning by relating to one another. And another person that I have no idea who they are posted this video about themselves and AUDIHD as we refer to it, which is odd and ADHD and I had known that the ADHD piece. I didn't know the autisum piece, even though I had worked with autistic kids. I was a psychologist at this point doing assessments. It just didn't click. And I remember it was Christmas break, just after I became a registered psychologist. I came across this video and you know, to become a psychologist, there's a lot of work, so I was likely a little bit burnt out, but I remember just sobbing. It really hit me and it was like a light bulb and I was like, this person just described my whole life in less than five minutes, and this is what I've experienced and didn't know.
Speaker 1: That in that moment. What were you identifying with specifically?
Speaker 2: I think this sense of not belonging, this chronic feeling like I am different and I don't belong and I don't know why, this chronic sense of I have such big feelings and empathy and emotions that if a friend, a loved one, and even another human being, if they describe things to me, I really do feel it this. I have been a history of like having moments of you know, shutting down, periods of burnout and just like disconnecting moments of when I was younger, having huge meltdowns and just being a handful for my family to deal with, you know, having so much wonderful skills and knowledge about certain things, but then other things just knowing absolutely nothing about and really struggling with feeling as though I am performing all the time, like it's a performance and people are judging me or crediting me. I need to be liked by others, which really did fuel into my people pleasing tendencies and my drive to be perfect twenty four to seven, all of these pieces.
Speaker 3: You know, that's just the way.
Speaker 2: That I have been, and it does come with hardships because one, we can never please everybody. People will dislike us or be unhappy with us. That's just the reality. And two, we can't be perfect. It's not possible. So I've always been stuck in this state where I'm fighting against myself with two unreal realities that I expect.
Speaker 3: And once I heard that, and I just like all clicked.
Speaker 2: All the times where I felt stressed out or overwhelmed, disappointed in myself, when I didn't want to live, all of these things were like a slap in the face, and it's like, Wow, there's nothing wrong with me.
Speaker 3: I'm not broken. I think I have autism.
Speaker 2: And so I remember telling my friends, my partner, my parents, and people were like hmm, like as if I was like out to lunch, to be honest. And then a wonderful colleague of mine around the same time got diagnosed and I had already booked my assessment. I was already on this journey, and I was like, you know what, like I need to know, I feel it, but I'd like someone else to tell me if this is the truth or not. And someone I used to work with came out and said that they were AUDIHD and autistic. And so that was that next you know, like step in my journey. That was like, okay, like you know you can be an autistic psychologist, right, because of course, like you fight against yourself to be like is this acceptable?
Speaker 3: What will people think of me?
Speaker 2: Right? But they came out and I was like, you know what, I'm doing this? So I continued on with my appointment. Actually last April, so a year ago today, in the month of autism Acceptance.
Speaker 3: Is when I got my diagnosis. And I just cried.
Speaker 2: And I think it was not cry from sadness, but it was crying from I'm not crazy. You know, I did see this thing, and you see me, you understand it. I'm not alone. There's many of us out there, and now I have the language and the framework that I've missed for this, you know, three decades of my life to really understand my experience and to support my brain in a way that I won't burn out, that I won't dislike myself, that I won't feel as though, you know, something's wrong with me most of the time.
Speaker 1: So yeah, damn, Crystal, You're amazing. Your story is like so and so you are so inspiring. I mean just you know everything you went through, and you know, crawling down the hallway grabbing your sister waking her up. I mean, my gosh, you know amazing, and then here you are founding this psychology group Thrive. Talk to us. How did that come about?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, I mean I do attribute it to my ADHD brain for sure. That drive, that inspiration, and that like a little bit of impulsivity, right, risk taking, because opening up a business, starting something so big, there is a risk, right, There's always that fear of the unknown.
Speaker 3: And I had.
Speaker 2: This idea, and I was like, just do it, right, I don't want to live my life regretting it. But I had always worked in this community, this area. I was born and raised in this area, so it is close to home and close to my heart. There was no practice like this here, right, and so I would have to travel thirty minutes forty minutes an hour doing all of these other places, and so.
Speaker 3: That's where the idea.
Speaker 2: Came from that I don't want to continue commuting. I don't want to have this environment here not be served right.
Speaker 3: And so with that.
Speaker 2: Idea started, it did bloom and grow over time, and I think daily my passion really is confirmed just because the girl that I was, there's many children ado lessons that I work with every single day that are like me. I think today's day and age, I've about eighty percent of the assessments and the therapy that I'm doing is with people that are burnt out, that are drained, that are questioning do I have ADHD? Do I have autism? So many people are receiving these diagnoses and feeling seen and heard and you know, understood for once.
Speaker 3: In their lives.
Speaker 2: And so I think that's the passion that you know, continues my practice day and day out, because there is still a little bit of a divide in our field, believe it or not, and still some people probably would question an autistic psychologists and whether or not that's that's possible.
Speaker 3: But when we look.
Speaker 2: At the research, we really do see that our tradition methods of assessing and detecting and observing signs of neurodiversity in girls, women and other marginalized individuals is flawed because a lot of it is internalized and nuanced, like I said earlier in terms of the depression talk in my household, and so it's hard to spot and it does require a lot of deeper work, and oftentimes it can coexist with trauma and it can, you know, mirror one another. I think a big part of it is understanding if it is trauma or autism, but another part of it is it can be both, because I think in itself, being autistic or having ADHD and living a life not knowing is traumatic. It really is stressful and overwhelming, and our brain really does learn ways to protect ourselves and that typically includes masking or evolving, concealing, keeping it away, keeping it hidden. And if a psychologist in their thirties was able to hide it from themselves for that long and was practicing in the field, surely many others do as well, right, And so I think my passion really is bringing that education, that understanding. If one person here's a story and was like, oh I wonder, then I would feel happy about it because receiving that final diagnosis in addition to the ADHD has truly saved my life to be honest a second time and prevented that burnout that was surely coming if I didn't know. In the last year, I have really focused on my mental well being, my own therapy, my own unwriting of this perfectionism, this people pleasing or masking, and being my own true, authentic self that I do think is going to allow for me to be the best that I can in my field and also to take care of myself and my body the best that I can.
Speaker 3: Well, what.
Speaker 1: Could you review, just broadly the diagnostic criteria for autism and isn't it can correct me if I'm wrong? Isn't it usually or commonly diagnosed early?
Speaker 3: It can be.
Speaker 2: But I think the rate in which we are identifying it in adulthood these days has shifted, right, And we do know that our lovely friend, the DSM is getting updated in the near future, And so I'm curious in terms of what these diagnostic pieces will look like. Right and if AUDIHD, whereas ADHD and autism together becomes its own diagnosis one day, We don't know, but we do look at several different areas right.
Speaker 3: One of it being that.
Speaker 2: Restricted repetitive behaviors, this neatness for sameness or novelty with the adhdpiece. With this, it's like routine and that does not have to be rigid in the sense of I need to do ABC and D every single day. That could be more nuanced and socially acceptable, as in, like every day at work, I park in the same general area of my parking lot, right, or I have these certain sequences of getting ready every single day, and I just that's the way that I do things. In terms of the special interests, it's not dinosaurs or cars, you know, or things that we might see in childhood. For me, my special interest was actually psychology and human behavior, right because at a young age I really learned to study others and learn how to adapt, and so I fell into this field trying to understand others and trying to make a career out of it, which is an autistic trait, and really built my whole life around it, my whole passion and purpose. And so my special interest aligns with my career and working and so it is societally acceptable in terms of any other mannerisms or any other behaviors. Look back, I don't think I was aware of it, but I do fidget, I do like cross my hands and my feet, and I think likely my brain.
Speaker 1: Right now under my desk, okay.
Speaker 2: Like I do certain things with them, and you know, in absence, you know, one trait does not mean you're autistic, but all together collectively like that has been my experience, and I think as my nervous system has gotten out of fight or flight, right, I think I've done masked and I do these things more freely because there are a sense of self regulation and coping eye contact right, Like, it's hard to sustain it. Sometimes it's inconsistent. It's not that I can't make eye contact. I may prefer not to, and I give myself permission these days. I think the biggest piece in terms of for my experience is really these moments of being alone.
Speaker 3: So I am very social.
Speaker 2: I'm very empathetic, which typically with my wonder is that in you know, the opposite of autism, because we hear rumors and myths that if you have autism, you're not empathetic or you don't want to be social. And that's not the case for me and my experience and a lot of autistic individuals. We actually can be hypersocial, hyper, you know, extroverted, hyper empathetic. But it's the rest and the recovery that I need in between, right, and so after a long day of sessions, I need quiet time at the end of the day, after a week of sessions the weekend, you know, I may not always want to do fun things. I might need that alone time. And I think prior to knowing, I was pushing myself to do the most right, like go here, go there, you know, be a good mom, be a good friend. In the last year, I've been like, if I want to stay home and relax, I'm giving myself that permission to rely because my brain needs it. And so, long story short, I'm going off topic. But there's lots of different signs and symptoms that we look for to really understand. I think in adulthood we definitely like to explore anxiety and depression and mental health as well, because oftentimes when we are neuro divergent, it can make us feel anxious and overwhelmed, which can exacerbate those difficulties. It can make us feel depressed, which can also exacerbate those difficulties. Trauma, like I said, is another piece to keep an eye on and kind of understand. Exploring the autism piece is looking at those social communication behaviors, the restricted interests, you know, all of those patterns that we would see present in some capacity and form in childhood and adolescence. And then the attention piece can be either an inattentive profile, which is more of those internalized pieces where struggle with attention, planning, prioritizing, organization, or the hyperactive pieces where I maybe feel more restless, have more energy, more go go go, maybe even more busier or hard to keep up with, or those combined together.
Speaker 3: And so looking at that.
Speaker 2: Whole profile really is what we do in an adult assessment. Also with children adolescents with more nuanced cases, we do that as well. I think the interview is the biggest part of things. Listening to our clients, listening to our families, that is the biggest piece to understanding because research does show that our questionnaires, our methods, they're not bulletproof.
Speaker 3: They will miss people.
Speaker 2: And I think hearing people's voices is what we need to be doing because their lived experience is really the foundation for us to understand and not our own biases. I do hear sometimes in our field people say people are diagnosis shopping, getting other perspectives this and that, and no, people are understanding of their experience and they want to, you know, find someone that can help them make sense of it.
Speaker 3: And if we.
Speaker 2: Discount people who see on social media this thing and think they have autism, that's our own bias speaking. So I think looking at all that information as closely as possible and making sense of it is a big portion of it. And also being mindful that in a way our systems can pathologize and discriminate against people, and our criteria really.
Speaker 3: Can do that.
Speaker 2: And I think things like borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder are big things that individuals get unfortunately misdiagnosed with. And so yeah, just looking at everything as best as we can is really my message.
Speaker 1: Awesome, all right, Crystal, how do people learn more about you and what you're doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So my website is www dot five dash Psychology dot ca A, and people can also see me on social media at sit with Crystal and Crystal are spelt weird.
Speaker 3: It's c h R I S T A l.
Speaker 1: Okay. We'll have all that linked up here at the shows page at the Trauma Therapist podcast dot com. Crystal, appreciate you being here and sharing your story. It's very inspiring. You are very inspiring. Loved it.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I appreciate it all right, take care, take care,