Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, now Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I think it's fair to say that even if you listen to this show just a little bit, especially in the last week or so, you've heard me probably be unable to contain my excitement about the Kentucky State Fair Fair to say, no pun intended, John very fair. I went to the Fair on Saturday, and it was probably the worst fair experience I've ever had, and it was nobody's fault. I just had never been when it was that crowded. I guess typically when I've gone to the Fair, it is usually like a week night, Like we'll usually like I think I'm gonna go Wednesday night. There's a concert there that I'm you.
Speaker 3: Know, wanting to go to Yang Twins.
Speaker 2: Is it I missed that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was on Friday, okay, but I don't think i'd ever gone on like the opening weekend, at least not on a Saturday during the day. And man, I think everybody in the state was there on Saturday during the day. I mean traffic was bad, but like it wasn't because of an unorganized group leading traffic. There was a lot of people, like it wasn't you know, traffic because they decided to set something up in a foolish way. There was just a lot of people. So it took a little while to get in. Although we'll give a little bit of a tip here. If you are on sixty five North, go to the airport and then you know, leave the airport, if you know what I'm saying, right, go there, just drive through and it'll spit you out right at the fairgrounds and you essentially you'll you'll still other people like it's not like it's not like, you know, I'm the only person that knows to do that. So you'll still end up sitting in the traffic that is there, you know, to get through the gate and whatnot. But you'll bypass sitting on that on that ramp for as long as you know, a lot. I mean, we ended up leaving to meet some friends there on Saturday afternoon, and we left about the same time, and we took the airport route and they you know, just got in line like you typically would, and we beat them in there by I feel like a long long time, like maybe an hour or so, like maybe some of it was because they parked in a much different place than we did. But either way, like that'll let you avoid some of the traffic. But yeah, I mean it, I mean it was what you'd expect at the fair. I had my Kentucky Proud pulled pork sandwich, which is a very plain, Jain you know, boring food item. It's delicious. I love it. I eat it every day, but it's it's not up there with you know, it doesn't get the same type of love that you know, a doughnut burger or a six foot corn dog or something like that.
Speaker 3: Did you end up trying a doughnut burger?
Speaker 2: No, because the lines were crazy. That's what really made it. You know. First of all, when you're in the booths, and it could be the people that are selling stuff, it could be the counties that they have exhibits for. I mean, there's all kinds of stuff within the I mean, heck, my my son, he was in heaven because there's a there's an lmpd's area set up where they've got just a bunch of cool stuff. There's a Kentucky State Police area where they've got like a bunch of old, old vintage cop cars and stuff, like really cool stuff. He got to get on the police helicopter. It's like all that stuff is fun. And that's what the kids love about the fair. They rarely ride rides, but just moving around within like the West Wing and even like in Freedom Hall, like it was hard to if you if you stopped in most instances, if you stopped anywhere to like look at what's in a booth or talk to somebody that was trying to sell you something like, you ended up being in people's way because it was just that crowded. So I mean, again, it's nobody's fault. We still ended up having a good time, but like it was just hectic, man. And I did not wait in line for the Uh. I did not wait in line for the donut burger because I don't want one that bad anyway, right, and uh the line was was long, but the lines were along for like everything. And again it's not I'm not somebody's fault. It's just it was a busy, busy, busy out at the fair. And I'd be shocked if when I go back Wednesday, or or even if I go back at any point this upcoming weekend before it ends, like I bet it won't be as crowded. And I'm not going to take credit for this because it wouldn't. I just can't. I can't. I don't know. But you remember the vibe check at the fair last last year, right, John?
Speaker 3: I do remember it?
Speaker 2: No bush light? No, And I had to track down a guy who was there, brought his goats to the fair. He happened to have a cooler bud light or a bush light. He gave me some. Well, now they got their own tent like the ONWN like thing. I mean, it has to be your doing. I mean, I look, nobody advocates for bush light harder than me. And you know now not I mean, not only can you purchase it at the Kentucky State Fair between the mill or between the bud light tent and the bud tent, there's now like this big mobile bar that's got bush light all over it. I mean it's it's heavenly. So you know, I saw.
Speaker 3: Bush Light's been advertising this bush light peach or something like that.
Speaker 2: Is that I've had one? No, it's not good. I mean I don't like it, but it's it's out there. But yeah, you can get bush light at Lovell football games. You can now get bush Light at the State Fair.
Speaker 3: Like I mean, it's ever the official beer of Louisville or the U of l whatever it may be. It's I'm giving you the credit no matter what.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I would appreciate that because I've been advocating pretty strong for bush Light and they've not given me any money, and I'm not asked for any money. I just you know, here's what I want. I want there to be more bottles available when I go to get bush Light, because it's hard to find the bottles. Now, I'll drink the cans, but I'm not a big can beer guy anyway. I mean, I'll drink it, and really it is. It is all the same for the most part. But like if I'm going to go to the fridge at my house and grab a cold beer and sit on the couch watch some football or you know, grab a beer while I eat dinner, I want a glass bottle of bush Light, which I do. There's some spots in my area. I know where to get it. But you know, if I'm just out and about not, you know, in my neck of the woods, if you will, good chance are going to have the cans. And that's it's not a deal breaker. And some people have the aluminum bottles and those are fine too, but you know that's that that's the order. Actually, the order is this, you can get a cold draft. That's where it's at. But that you know, I don't have a tap in my house, but a bush Light wants to give me one. I'm not gonna complain, although I'd have to go through a lot of beer in order for that not to go flat and get skunk. But anyways, uh, you know, draft's the best, and and there's way more restaurants sports bars around that have bush Light available than a year ago. Like we're we're growing. Maybe we got some momentum here behind bush Light. But bottles is the top choice, aluminum bottle than the cam that that that's my preference. I'll drink any and all are delicious. But that's my only complaining about bush Light. If we can get more like whenever you're whenever you're purchasing, if you're a gas station, liquor store, wherever you could, if you've got a liquor license to sell beer to you know not you know not where people come in and order one instead at a bar. But like they buy the beer, they take it home. Let's get, let's get, let's get. Just keep in mind people want bottles too, folks. It's not really bush Light's fault. It's it's though, it's the distributors who you know, it's not even the distributors, it's the people who you know, supply beer in their establishment for people to buy. Just know there is an appetite of those bottles. I can promise you that. But anyways, the fair was great, and uh, I'll probably be back. I don't know if I'm gonna go that concert Wednesday. It's I kind of feel.
Speaker 3: Like that, Oh that's your boy, isn't That's Justin.
Speaker 2: It's Justin Moore. Yeah, And I love Justin Moore. I've seen him. I've seen him many times. Uh. And it's it's it's the it's the most risky and dangerous situation in a long time for Rick Coffee to appear from seemingly the dead. Rick Coffee is my alter ego. It's a different version of me, that is.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: It came about from your old neighborhood, right, somebody thought your name was Rick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, so, and you know it just became I don't really know how it became where it started being mentioned like when I'm drunk, Nick. But and that's really all it is. It's nothing crazy. It's not like I could do some cool party tricks when I'm ha. I just you know, here, here's a giveaway for me if I've been, if I've been, you know, putting them back. Usually I'm a little I can you know, I'm a without sounding like a pervert, Like I can just get touchy right, like, you know, hand on your shoulder while I'm talking to you, you know, just you know, just I'm that.
Speaker 3: Guy you don't care about personal space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there really appears there's no radar for personal space whenever rick Is has taken over for Nick. So you know, like I can't see a scenario. I mean it certainly I would, I would, you know, I would make my wife drive me home where I would we would get it and we'd get an uber. But then, like the thought of getting an uber out of the fair just sounds like a headache. You know. I haven't even had a night where I have to worry about like a big hangover in a long time. I kind of feel like that would be that night. Because it's outside, it's hot. You know, I'm with my people justin more fanatics. If that's you, stand up, take a bow. You know, I'm proud to be in the same group with you. But like I just I don't know, Like I it sounds fun. I think i'd have fun. But I do think this is growth in becoming you know, an older, washed up, thirty six year old man that's like, yeah, you don't need to be going to that. You've seen him enough times. You don't need to be out there, you know, pounding bush lights. And you know, on a Wednesday, maybe if it's a Saturday, maybe it's a Friday. But a Wednesday, I think I'm gonna and I can't be hung over from my first pitch on Thursday, That's true. I gotta be in good And by the way, I'm I'm amazed by how many people are worried for me about this. Like it's the first thing people bring up to me when I tell them I'm throwing the first pitch at the bats game on set on Thursday. Do you know how far that is from the plate to the to the mound? I mean no, but I mean it's not like I gotta throw it a mile, do I people are like, how do you like to say that I'm practicing for a first pitch? Like where would I do that in my backyard? Like how do you practice for a first pitch? If you're not somebody that you know is a part of baseball, I can go throw a baseball, but like, you know, the best thing you.
Speaker 3: Could do is look up the I guess the dimensions of how far the plate is from the mound, and maybe try to measure that in your yard and do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'll say this the best chance for me to just you know, go out there. And I'm not gonna throw a great pitch. I'm not gonna look like I've ever pitched a baseball, Like I'm not. I'm not gonna look like a natural. My goal is to just get it across the plate. And if the if the catcher's got to reach to the left or the right or maybe stand up to get it. You know, I don't consider that to be a failure. Like that's just you know, me getting it to the guy with him having a little movement. So if I do practice and I start, you know, measuring out the distance, and I just you know, hey, hey son, my four year old. Once you go down there and just you know, you play catcher. I'm gonna try to I'm gonna work on pitching it and you you know, you catch it for me like one, that'd be embarrassing to even go through that process. Also, I'd be overthinking it and I would go out there and I'd be like, all right, you've been practicing, you know. Just I'm just gonna go out there and wing it. And again, is there is there a chance by doing that I end up embarrassing myself? Yes, absolutely, But I knew going in there was a good chance that was gonna happen anyway.
Speaker 3: So is there a worst case scenario for how it plays out?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I don't I don't want to go out there and just make a clown of myself to where it looks as if I'm utilizing this great opportunity that the louisvill BADS organization has given me to like be a clown. So you know, but also I'm aware that like the worst that it is, the more attention it would eventually get. And that's not you know, that's not gonna make me look good. But you know, it also wouldn't be the worst thing ever. If you know, I get a ton of attention from it, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 3: You could lean into it.
Speaker 2: I'm not, yeah, yeah exactly. I mean, look, self deprecation is my brand, baby, Like that's that's right in my wheelhouse. So it could be it could be like a perfect scenario in that regard. But yeah, six point twenty on on Thursday at Slugger Field, I'll be throwing out the first pitch and I'm looking forward to it, and I really appreciate the Bats for extending the invite, and you know, I won't let you down. I mean, I'll be there. Can't guarantee that it's gonna be a you know, a great pitch, but you know, my goal here again, my goal here is to just get it within the vicinity of home plate to where the guy catching it doesn't have to do a whole lot of movement and I don't end up, you know, being listed as somebody who threw out one of the worst pitches of all time. But again, like there's also part of me that like, how bad would I have to be for it to get that kind of attention and where people are like, oh my goodness, did you see what this guy did. And then there's also like fear that I had that if it was really bad. And that's why, like the people who are worried for me are people who know me personally that like, no, it's not a joke. He really looks like someone who's never thrown a baseball in his life like that, you know. But because if I did go out there and embarrass myself, the last thing I would ever want was people to say that I did that on purpose, you know what I mean, Because I'd be lame, Like that would just be lame. It would be to me. It'd be a slap in the face to the bats, and I don't want to do that. So we'll see what happens. Six twenty first pitch, looking forward to it and check this out Thursday, Thursday, So you get two dollars Miller Lite and Coors Light from five thirty to eight thirty, and then you also have three dollars regular nachos and chicken tenders, so taking advantage of that. It's also it's also college night six dollars tickets for those of you that are college students, so it should be fun. Hope to see uh, hope to see you guys there and feel free to make fun of me if you really, you know, think my first pitch is that bad. Trust me, you're not gonna hurt my feelings. I'm well aware of of of how bad I may do here. All right, Coffee and Company, that's us we are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Certainly appreciate you guys hanging out with us. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program if you haven't already. Five oo two Uh, well that's the text line.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 2: You can sign up to be a Refreshment Awards member for free awards dot com and you can download the app on your phone if you have an iPhone, Android, whatever it is. You'll find that it's easy. Just search for Freshman Awards. It's free and you'll start benefiting right away. In fact, you'll get a free red Bull if you're signing up right now. You're also going to get twenty five cents off per gattle on the first time you fill up after signing up, so take advantage. The reason I mentioned the number here because I just pulled open the text line for the first time today. Five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety. It's the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. We hope to hear from more of you. I don't know if this is legit or not, but I did get a little distracted because this person on the text line who's never texted the before John, they claim to be the neighbor that thought my name was Rick. Oh. Really could be somebody pulling my leg here, But for those who don't know that, and this is just me, Like I again, I don't I feel like I've grown since this part of my life, but I not only do I fear confrontation, like don't I don't like awkward, Like I don't know, like I'm trying, I'm word vomiting here. But there was somebody who was a neighbor like four houses down when I lived at our when we lived at our old house, that like one day they are walking down the street. I'm outside with my daughter, my son hasn't it wasn't born yet, and I introduced myself and he introduced himself and he thought I said my name was was Rick. And I didn't correct him. Why, I don't know, Like I just didn't want to make him feel bad that like, cause again, if you don't do it, like, if you don't do it right away and you wait, like then then I think you've made that person feel bad and you've made them feel more awkward when in reality, if they say your name wrong and you don't correct them, they don't know your name. Therefore, only you could correct that, right, Yes, So like if I've let somebody think my name is Rick for a while and I bring it up, you know, a year later, Hey, it's actually Nick, Like that makes me look bad, doesn't.
Speaker 3: It looking bad? I mean, I guess it depends on the way you think about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I was, I guess it depends on like did did did I just realize he thought my name was Rick? Or but this was this was somebody that started to become a little bit more of a frequent like yeah with neighbor and like, hey Rick, guys it going Rick?
Speaker 1: Hey Rick?
Speaker 2: And I just never corrected him. And finally, finally one of my other neighbors told him that my name was not Rick, it was Nick. And you know, I think the guy like thought I was a jerk. So if that's you on the text line and you're legitimately the person who uh, who lived four houses down that thought my name was Rick. Then you know, I'm sorry I didn't correct you probably should have because again you had no way of knowing that you were calling me the wrong name.
Speaker 3: Right, If it truly is him, I wonder how long it took for him to figure out that you, you know, have this platform and that he could text you and let him know.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that's what Uh, I'm pretty sure that's that's how it ended up playing out to where one of the neighbors was discussing me, and I think the guy was like, it's it's Rick, not Nick. Rick. Rick and his wife Tiffany, they lived they lived down the Riffany so and then again, Rick's been because Nick and Rick. You know, it sounds it sounds, it sounds similar. It's just one letter off, right. But it just so happened that not long after that encounter, I ended up going on I ended up going on a Baltimore radio station to talk about Lamar Jackson, and the host called me Rick Coffee, introduced me as Rick Coffee, and again, like, if you don't correct him right out of the gate, then it becomes even more awkward when you then later so like and this is one of those guys. And there are many hosts that have done this over the years, where like they'll say your name a lot, like every time they ask you a question. It's not just like resetting like you know, they'll they'll mention your name a whole lot to give the feel that like you do in fact know each other. When I didn't know this guy, and clearly he didn't know me to know my name, so like I thought, like, okay, maybe he introduced me wrong. Nobody in Baltimore knows who I am. Therefore they don't care if it's Nick Rick Dick who cares, right, So I just didn't think much about it. Well then like every question, so Nick tell me about it, or so Rick tell me about this? So Rick, Rick, let me ask you this question. Rick, Rick coffee with us here, and I'm just like, all right, what's too late now? Because if I correct him midway through the conversation, then it just makes it even more awkward. So just accept Like so at times I just decided I am Rick. In fact, now I'm starting to believe this person is legitimately the neighbor that said that's.
Speaker 3: Sharing personal information.
Speaker 2: He shared a screenshot of the tweet that I sent out in April of twenty twenty. Because I tweeted it, I said, some of the list few houses down thinks my name is Rick. Never corrected him because I never expected to have any communication with him. A pandemic has changed things. On like four occasions he called me Rick, and I never corrected him.
Speaker 5: Too late.
Speaker 2: Now I am Rick Coffee. That's that's what happened.
Speaker 3: So anyways, that's an uncomfortable situation though the radio interview, because I probably would have done the same thing you did, just not mention it, and then it probably threw you off your game a little bit. I mean, obviously I've never heard the interview, but did you were you kind of thinking every time he would address you as Rick, would you think about that?
Speaker 2: No, because I just decided, like, after the second time, all right, that was it. If you were going to do it, you should have done it. Then, Yeah, you did awareness, and I just was like, all right, well, you know, I just accepted I'm real Coffee. That's that's what ended up happening. Now. I will say this, if somebody comes on my show as a guest and they don't know my name, I have to correct that, you know what I mean? Like, that's that's the level of like patheticness still, like I mean, that's where you're like. And again I probably, I probably should have corrected anybody who doesn't know my name, And it's only my responsible, it's my duty to do that, nobody else's. But sometimes again, like a radio interview in a city that I will probably never be in in my life, like it just wasn't worth it, but over and over like every time he asked the question or responded to something I said, he had to throw in Rick in there. So I felt like when I hung up the phone, well, I guess I am Rick Coffee now like it or not, that's me all right. We'll let you hear from Jeff Brohm on the other side, not real pleased with his offense, but also giving a lot of credit to his defense for that final scrimmage. If you are just now joining us or didn't hear the beginning of the show, we have talked about the Colin Lacy news and we could certainly reset that. So stick around. It's Coffee and Company. We are Feilbeth Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So you know, when you have recaps from an inner squad scrimmage, which is essentially what happened on Saturday for louisvill football, I mean, they have a few of these scrimmages that are as close as you get to real action until you know, you get to a real game, right, I mean, they make it as close to I mean, it's not a real game, but it's a real scrimmage to where you know, you're seeing where you stand. It's it's not quite like performing, you know, when the lights are on, but it's as close as you can get to replicating that in a practice situation. And Jeff Brom, when talking to the media after both of these most recent scrimmages, was not too pleased with his offense. In fact, I Rick boseuche did a good job at WDRB kind of highlighting that it's been back to back weeks where you know, the offense just you know, didn't get much praise from their head coach, which I'm sure Jeff Brom has a very high standard for his offense, but I also don't think he's someone that is going to, you know, mislead you in any way. I mean, I don't know, we're still learning a little bit, but a little bit about Jeff when it comes to like you know, I mean, for the most part, it's always going to be pretty much what you see is what you get. He's gonna be pretty direct, not try to really you know, motivate his guys with any big quotes or any big statements when he talks to the media. But look, it could all I mean, he could be one thousand percent truthful here and it still worked that same purpose right where, Hey, these guys heard it from their coach that he wasn't really pleased with what he saw offensively, but then you know, he said it to people that were there covering the program with a microphone and a camera, and it gets a lot of attention, and you know that's just I mean, it may not even be his intent, but what I'm getting at is that it could still serve that purpose of like, Okay, these guys need to play better. So when you play yourself right again, it's like the spring game. If you dominate the spring game with your first string offense against your first ring defense, you know, you could It just depends on you know, it's if it's teams are split up evenly and it's like competitive. That's really like the best case scenario, right because when it comes to those that are trying to take something from it. So it's tough to know what really can can you know, because I've heard there are times where and I guess it was before Jeff was here, but various different coaches have given you good or bad coming from a scrimmage during camp and then it and then you find out that later it you know, didn't really you know, didn't didn't didn't really translate to any legitimate worry, and it didn't you know, at times you felt like maybe you were more confident than you should have been, and it was based off of something that a coach said that you know, once you got out there in a real game, didn't translate. So anyways, here's here's Jeff's opening comments following UH, following the the scrimmage on on Saturday. Well, here we go.
Speaker 4: Well, today was a good day overall from the strimmage standpoint, because me learned a lot about our team today. The defense was dominant, UH that question really played well, made plays. We've got turnovers, UH disrupted. The offense. Offense had a really bad data. So it was a really dismal day on offense where a bad lega plays, lega plays and turnovers and uh, you know a lot of things to work on it hopefully will it's to regroup and understand what to say. It was.
Speaker 2: All right, so let me tell you what just happened there. Did you notice? How did that? I mean, like the quality of that, Like I heard.
Speaker 3: Like a little bit of a jump in the middle of it, like a glitch or something.
Speaker 2: So that is audio from a video that of course is picking up like a bunch of like there's no mic in front of him directly. It's just the mic that is probably on someone's phone or the mic that's on someone's camera. And there's now this feature within this software that I play sound on that's called enhance speech. And I'm guessing that they do some level of like AI because it didn't it's it made him sound different, and it it like.
Speaker 3: It is funny that you mentioned that, because very well time I heard the voice, you were like, that's not thing that was Jeff Brown.
Speaker 2: This is again this probably sounds fine anyway, but like I'm gonna turn the enhance speech off because I don't think it sounded good at all, but you can tell audio quality won't be as good, but it'll sound like Jeff, and you know it won't start, you know, sounding like it's talking a different language.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: Well, today was a good day overall from the scrimmage at the standpoint because we learned a lot about our team today. Defense was dominant, that question really played well, made plays, I got turnovers, disrupted the offense. Offense had a really bad day. So it was a really incredible.
Speaker 1: Day on offense.
Speaker 2: See the background noise is so loud you can still hear what he's saying. But that's why, like I thought, okay, maybe enhanced speech will make him sound because again here's enhanced speech, but it's at a lighter level. Let's see if it Let's see what this sounds like?
Speaker 4: A bad legative plays and turnovers and it's better. Right, A lot of things to work on it.
Speaker 3: A lot closer to the I can understand what it.
Speaker 4: Takes to what's going to take to win against good Powis.
Speaker 5: Defense was just dominant across the line of scrimmage or in the secondary or in all parts.
Speaker 4: Of oh you name it today. Defense that question got after the offense and uh, you know it was a butt kicking at play one to the end.
Speaker 2: A butt kicking from play one to the end. So I mean, again, as I said earlier, this isn't something I can lie to you and claim is uh is encouraging. I just can't also lie to you and say that it that it has me super worried because I think you typically hear coaches, you know, not do it to motivate guys, but like, this is not I don't think that uncommon. Again, it's not good news, but I'm also I mean, do I still think Loisve has got a chance to have a pretty good offense that scores a lot of points. Yes, because I think they have good personnel that could help them do that, and I think Jeff Brown's a really good coach offensively, So you know, not to be a middleman here, not taking a side, but I just I'm not too high or too low based off that I'd say I'm more. I mean, clearly it's not something you want to hear. But if the offense was lighting up the defense, I do think if it was the other way around, it would be viewed as a real big positive. And I think that's just because we expect Jeff Brohm to have a good offense here, because that's really what he's known for, not to say he can't, you know, have a team like last I mean last year's team. Again, the offense was good enough, clearly, and at times they were really good. They were balanced, they had two really good running backs, the only program that put two running backs in the NFL last year in the draft. But you know, defense was the real strength of that team for a good chunk of the season, in fact, for the vast majority of the season. So, you know, I think when you know last year, at times the offense really needed the defense to save him out. You hope that Jeff can have a better offense this year. And to hear him say that back to back weeks that the offense has been underwhelming and that today it was a butt kicking from play one to the end, again, that's not encouraging. But I also think that the Louisville defense has a chance to be really, really good. Now, maybe this is just the Homer way to look at it. Again, we'll find out once they actually get out there and play teams you know that you know can challenge them. I'm hopeful, and I'm very you know, I think the first the first time that I think you could be really you should be really concerned, is that if in the first couple of weeks you have like close games, you know what I mean, Like I hate these games in a way because you're playing an FCS opponent in one Actually, are they FCS Austin, Yes, yes, FB, you know you're playing an FCS opponent in Austin, p And then you're also playing Jacksonville State, who is you know, brand new to FBS like they were they were FCS not that long ago. So like, if you blow them out by five touchdowns, you really just kind of did what you were supposed to do, But it doesn't mean you're great. And if you blow them out by or you only win by three touchdowns or something like that or seventeen, that will be concerning for me, no doubt. But I also have seen it happen enough to where like it's just human nature. You play at the level of your competition, So you know, if they are in close games with those two teams down the stretch, that's where the first that's the first time I'm gonna be okay, I'm worried now, but when they played Georgia Tech in Week three, that will be the first real opportunity to see, you know, not if they're gonna be good enough to potentially find themselves in the ACC championship game again, but again it's a realistic look against a team that is in your conference, that you know was competitive with you a year ago, that's expected to be you know, a decent team in your league this year. So you know, I guess the way I'm looking at it is Jeff can talk about the offense being underwhelming and the defense just kicking the offenses. But and that's again, that's not like good news. There's no way to spin it. That's not something you want to hear. But it's gonna take some time before we really know what to make of this group. And I think the injury to Colin Lacey is a bigger deal than me, you know, And I think it's quite clear. I think most Lowell fans would agree, knowing that a guy who you brought in that was a really big time transfer, one of the most productive returning receivers in college football. The fact that he's now got a broken collar bones expected to miss six to eight weeks. That's a bigger deal, in a bigger issue than you know, hearing that the offense was underwhelming, at least for me it is. But as we discussed earlier, I really, you know, hope that you could utilize the timing here and give these guys who are who are going to be playing behind Colin Lacy a chance to kind of show you what they can do. And yes, if they look good. Let's just say that because of this injury to Colin Lacey that you end up getting you know, Jimmy Callaway, he gets more, he gets more reps, and he has you know, a couple of good games against Austin p and against Jacksonville State. You know, that would be encouraging. That'd be good. It wouldn't mean that you should expect that whenever they play you know, real teams in the ACC. But you know, I Jeff Brawm over the years, and I want to I'll talk a little more about it a little bit later in the week when I have some you know, some real numbers and stuff to back it up. You know, many guys have looked like really really good players, and I guess they are good players. It's not like you know it was. It was a manipulation. But I feel like if if Jeff brom has a quarterback that can execute and do things he needs his quarterback to be able to do be consistent with the arm, be able to make throws downfield, and to be vertical, then I feel like there are guys on this team, like a callaway, like a Jayden Thompson, that that you know, it wouldn't be considered some big shock if they, you know, are plugged into those spots like uh cterists, cuterist Hicks. I think it is. I know it's Hicks. He's from Miami, a kid who's a ready shirt freshman. It was a big time recruit. Like these are guys that, like, if they end up in the in the you know, on the field because of this injury, and they make plays and they look like guys you can rely on, that's not gonna shock me because I think Jeff has shown throughout his career the ability to do exactly that. All right, let's get to uh let's get to our last break here in the four o'clock I we'll come back on the other side, not as much. We're gonna have a little more link here in this neck in this final seven of the four o'clock hour, we typically do. We'll also get back to the text line five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety. If you guys would like to uh to text in, we'll let you do that. It's the ellen In Federal Credit Union text line at five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety. So again, stick with us. It's Coffee and Company, and we are field about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, Coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety, taking you up till six o'clock. Thanks for hanging out with us. And we now have a guest joining us talking some Louisville football, a former Louisville cardinal himself, mister Alex Cupper Cup. How are you doing today, brother?
Speaker 5: Oh, Nick, I'm doing good all around the world, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we got West Coast Cup joining us. He's on the other side of the country, but he's still made time for us, so we appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: That's all right, that's right.
Speaker 5: The conferences aren't the only things consolidating work work wise. Yeah, we go coast to coast, So just scouting, the scouting the routes out here on the in the California area.
Speaker 2: So what part of Cali?
Speaker 5: I'm down in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Nice, not this part, but yeah where we go up north too, So good stuff, good stuff, man, all right? So Colin Lacey broken collar bone six to eight weeks. That's what we know as of right now. Obviously, you never know how anybody's gonna heal when it comes to injuries and those kind of things. But from a former player's perspective, you know, I mean, I'm sure the same stuff you hear, the cliches that you hear a coach talk to the media about, it's the same thing you're probably hearing in the locker room, right Like, as much as it may just sound, you know, like what you're supposed to say, but it really is sort of a next man up kind of thing when that happens. I guess my curiosity when you played, did you guys have any like, was there ever any big injury that happened during camp that you felt like, you know, all right, this is going to change some things for us, because I kind of feel like anytime you have news that comes out of fall camp, especially like post scrimmage, it's usually something unfortunate, like an injury.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I have two, I mean really perfect examples to this, and they both had separate outcomes. So when you say, uh, you know, an injury to a key receiver, I remember, and this wasn't in camp, but it was. I think it was Cragthorpe's last year when Scott Long, who was our I mean, he was the he was the guy, Scott receiver, shout out Scott Long, my guy. When he got hurt, I was, it felt like a caught nail in the coffin, like literally our only guy that was producing at an extremely high level, you know very much? Yeah, leader, Yeah, all the all those elements, and you know, the depth. Depth wasn't there at that point. So it was like, man, we we were gonna be in for a long road, uh either way. And without Scott it was like geez was a huge loss. And then another one would have been Michael Lee, Michael Lee, Harris Charlie's second year, and I think that was around camp or that. Yeah, yeah, so his uh you know, but at that point, obviously we had cruited in some guys, you know, uh, Eli Rodgers stepped in right behind him, and you had you had Andre Elson and other guys that had come along and were ready to fill the void at least step up and show that they're ready to fill the void. So that's that's Those are the two scenarios. I think we're probably more towards the ladder when it comes to some of the talent that just hasn't hasn't proven itself yet. Uh, but there's there's only opportunities now, right, So you got you got your chance to step up and show what you can do these last these last couple fall camp practices before you start your game prep. You know, in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: How common is it for someone in a in in camp in practice, maybe a guy you've played with multiple years to you know, maybe be a guy that And I wouldn't ask you to put anybody's name out there, but I mean to me, I hear of guys that, you know, wow in camp, whether it be fall camp or even during springball. They look like they're really going to be able to make some noise and and have an impact, and it just never translates. And then there's other guys that maybe you would never expect to have an impact in a real game on Saturdays under the lights because they just have never shown it in camp or and scrimmages. Like how often does that happen to where sometimes you know, guys really just prove you wrong that they are either gonna give you way more than you expect it or the other way around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's it's typically if you're performing in practice, there they'll they'll be semblance of the game. He might not have the same production just because games. Elements of games go certain ways, and you don't get you don't get the opportunities you might have gotten. It might have been getting that are scripted in practice. But typically if there's a if there's a guy that just is you know, producing and or like you know, kind of middle of the road, but when you turn turn it on, uh, turn the lights on, he shows up. Those those do happen just because it's you know, they get they get that confidence. Confidence is so key and every sport but football, especially when you when you're majoring up essential you're moving. It's a lot of young guys typically that are unproven moving up into that Hey I can play at this level when you when you check that box in your head, your your game goes to a completely new level. You get that confidence that hey, I know what I'm doing, I can play fast, I can play with these the guys on these dudes on these on this field, and and from there, your Cadora's box is opened and you're right, you're a rock.
Speaker 2: And roll Yeah. I just I feel like it with Colin Lacy specifically. You know, there's clearly he's a guy they expect a lot out of and uh, you know, if he's going to miss six eight weeks, like that's that's a there's no way around it. That's not a good thing. But I also feel like there's kind of the you know, we don't really know exactly what we lost because we've not watched him play here at Louisville. And there's some other guys that also come in via the portal that may be able to really utilize this chance to get some to get some extra reps. That's something you know, it's a guy who's never played the game. Uh, I never would have thought about it. But yeah, like depending on where you are on the depth chart, like in practice as far as reps, like you may not get the same situation as far as like you may not even get the same opportunity to show which you can do if you're somebody that's slotted a second or third string, right, No, yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean that's that's something where you at this point in camp, you are starting to settle in kind and the rotations, and you know, you've had two scrimmages go by and you might not have gotten you might have gotten a look and did weren't able to capitalize on your looks or what have you. Now it's like, oh man, you know there's a door that's opened. Unfortunately for calling Lacey it's you know, via injury. But you know there's there's other guys that that are going to get reps that you know, the quantity of reps go up, and they the coaching staff probably puts other guys, you know, mixes them around and sees, you know, what, what potential they may have in certain positions, and that's working them into the slot or working them into some of these motions that you see. You know, coach Brahm does a good job of getting guys in space and trying to dicipher where you know, where the weaknesses the defenses are. That seems like a guy that's that's the role Lacey was going to play. He was going to be a guy that you move a try and get him in a favorable matchup and let them go to work.
Speaker 2: Alex Cuppers our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety former LoVa cardinal As we talk some Louisville football. So when you hear coach Brown back to back weeks really talk about the offense struggling, and he really emphasized that on Saturday following their scrimmage, but he also acknowledged that, you know, the defense had a big part in that, but again putting blame on the offense as well. You know, you have the ability to look at it from a guy who you know, you know, Jeff probably a lot better than most of us, and you know you've been you've been in those those scrimmages before. Like should fans like how should fans take that? Because I don't I can't lie to people and say that I'm overly concerned. But I'm also not gonna act like that's good to hear. I kind of feel like that's just what you would expect to Like, He's not gonna lie he's not going to be dishonest about it. But it also hasn't had me thinking, oh, we may be in trouble here.
Speaker 5: No, you're all your typical coach. You know, there's never you're never going to get a coach. I don't believe there's ever been a coach that comes out of a fall camp scrimmage practice and it's just rave reviews. My team is amazing, They're going to do great. You know, it's guaranteed. I'm booking it right now. We're going to shock the world. That's that is very few and far between. It is always that we need to get better, we need to progress faster.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It's typically you know, I never paid attention to them when I was playing, so I don't know if the guys do. But if there's there's guys that are, you know, hawking social media and getting clips, it's it is you know, oh man, you know, usually you won't sinkle out one guy, but it's this group needs to needs to step up and produce, you know, whatever whatever position group that would be. So those little notes are typically trying to push the team along. You know, you're never you're never going to be as good as you think you are, and you're never as bad as you think you are, but you need to always want to improve and want to push yourself because if you're not, the other twelve teams on your schedule are, and you're going to be in for a root awake or root awakening in the week's come.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised to see where Louis Will ended up in the preseason acc Media, Paul. I know it's something people quickly for good about once the actual season gets here and you see where teams actually stand. But coming in at number was it number five? Number four? I mean that that didn't shock me because I know there's been some love out there about Miami reloading again with talent like they always do. NC State ended up finishing strong, They've got a new quarterback. I guess my question is is there a team that you see that you're in, that that you know that bothers not bothers you, Because again, we all know the preseason stuff is quickly forgotten, but like I just felt like when you come off of a ten win season, even though we know the schedule was beneficial, I just feel like Louivill would have walked in to some more love in the preseason than than than they're getting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean when you think about, like, why do.
Speaker 2: People still believe it in Miami Cup.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly going down there. I mean, that's that's really because unfortunately we ended up losing those last couple games of the season. That that was that was a really good win going down the King Road, clinching clenching share of the the ACC getting getting your chance to playing that in that game. I mean, that's that's a tough environment. Anytime you go on the road, you'll hear You'll hear every coach say that, and it's very true if you're going on the road in conference. Those are wins that you you keep up on the board. Those are big and yeah, you're gonna have to fight for some this year for sure, but yeah, no, I mean you think about Clemson's ho home you know, nine win season, and and you know Florida State obviously what they did last year and now reloading and now that you see them trying to catch a groove and getting into groove. Miami is one that's interesting. Virginia Tech is another one that's kind of I mean, it's there's there's kind of like the soft type. It's like, man, I got a lot of dudes returning, are they going to be able to step up and really you know, win meaningful games? You know, remains to be seen. But that's another one where it's like, you know, are they good are they not? You know, Miami for some reason gets a lot of love and praise because you know, they were the first one to say how much they were writing checks for and their nil deals whatever. So that's just what you you know, that comes with the hooplah. But the end of the day, you got to you got to prove between the lines. And you know coach coach Brown's record, you know, starting last year and then back at Purdue, is that you know, when his teams show up, they show up ready to play, that they don't lay a lot of dues. So no, I think for slotted good and we we we have teams on the schedule where we can prove that we're we're either better or you know, are not as good as how they ranked us.
Speaker 2: Cup you are the man. I appreciate you making time for us during your busy day of travel. So again, big thanks and we will talk to you soon.
Speaker 5: My friend sounds good. Nick have a good week man.
Speaker 2: All right. That's Alex cover for always appreciate his time. Whoop see. I went to I went to, uh, you know, pop the phone down after we ended the conversation, and instead of turning cup off, I turned my mic off. Sorry, we got to run one more hour to go right here, five o'clock hour on a Monday coffee and Company. Phil about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety