Speaker 1: Phoning in.
Speaker 2: We're taking your calls on the LA Clippers right now.
Speaker 1: Peace Peace, Clippers Talk on Aaron on Demand, the Clippers Show of Record, your chance to react to everything.
Speaker 2: Clippers Clippers news happens.
Speaker 3: Let me guess it's about Kawhi.
Speaker 1: Here we are and now here. He is the host of your LA Clippers pre and postgame.
Speaker 2: At follow Adam a Adam Osley. Well, without Kawhi Leonard, an underman, shorthanded Clippers squad did all they could but lost in Cleveland by five final score on twenty seven to one, twenty two calves over your Clippers. Welcome in to Clippers Talk. I'm at a Moslin here on M FI seventy LA Sports. Of course the majority of the time. Now when the Dodgers are on, we will be bumped to the Patriot AM eleven fifty. But when they are not on, we're still here on a M five seventy LA Sports. If you want to get on eight six six ninety seven two five seventy eight six six ninety seven two five seventy frustrating.
Speaker 4: One Cliper Nation winnable game.
Speaker 2: In the end, they had their chances even without Kauai, even with being down seventeen. I think the reason they lost this ballgame, though, was just a couple extended cold streaks by the Clippers, where in the first quarter.
Speaker 4: They ended up giving up a nineteen.
Speaker 2: To seven run by the Calves to end the quarter in three minutes and thirty eight seconds, where the Clippers almost went four minutes scoreless and the Calves went on a sixteen to oh run. During that time, they started pushing the pace. They had fourteen fast break points in the first quarter alone. They finished with thirty fast breakpoints, but Clippers went four minutes scoreless. They had hard and a mirror ben batoom and out there and that lineup they just couldn't generate and they couldn't get any shots to fall. That's a frustrating stretch where they head out of the first down thirty seven and twenty five. Now a mere Coffee was also lost with what look to be a left knee injury. Hopefully nothing serious. We'll try to update you on that, but you're down twelve henging into the second after it looked like a close game early in the first kind of back and forth, and then that sixteen to oher run to start the second. Though, it's funny Nor missed a three pointer. This may have been the shot that got him going because he tracked it down follow your shot, kids, and then took a tough fallaway three pointer out of bounds on the far side that he would knock down, so he ends up getting one to go off his own extra opportunity created off the rebound, and then he was off and running. Norm dropped twenty in the second quarter, hitting everything long twos, multiple three point shots, layups, just getting to his floater, getting downhill. Norman Powell looks to be back. If there is a positive to take out of this ballgame, it is that Norman Powell looks to be back. Played thirty nine minutes and had thirty four points, by far his best shooting performance since he came back after missing significant time, first from a knee injury than a hammy. He was thirteen of twenty four from the field, five of eleven from distance, and had twenty of his thirty four points in that second quarter. Clippers are right there at the half because of that outpouring or onslaught from Norm pal He had a floater to end the second quarter, and the Clippers, after being down seventeen, were down just sixty eight to sixty four at the half, Norm gets an and one to start the third Clippers down just one problem was in what looked to be a back and forth third quarter to start where the Clippers were down seventy five to seventy four. We'll guess what happened again, another long stretch where the Clippers just couldn't get a bucket. Norm was missing, Zoo was getting muled and getting a tough whistle out there. He was very frustrated. But I will say this, overall, the Clippers have to fight through that a little bit better. At some point you know you're not getting a whistle, just play through. But the Clippers ended up going almost five minutes scoreless after it was a one point game in the third quarter, down seventy five to seventy four. So you combine that with almost going four minutes scoreless in the first quarter, two stretches combined for almost nine minutes.
Speaker 4: Where the Clippers just.
Speaker 2: Could not get anything to go to me, that's the difference in this ballgame. They still had their chances late, but a real big turning point was Norm Powell went to the free throw line during that stretch in the third quarter where they couldn't hit anything and he missed two free throws. Inexplicably, the guy who just had a twenty point second quarter, harden To had a couple of turnovers during that stretch. He had a couple of misses. Ben Simmons had a miss, and the Calves go on. I think it was another sixteen to oh run, where by the time the.
Speaker 4: Third quarter is over, the Clippers.
Speaker 2: Are down one oh five to eighty eight, and the Calves had gone on a thirty to fourteen run to end the third. Those long stretches of scoreless basketball by the Clippers hurting them in this one. Now did they continue to fight?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Damn straight they did. The game looked over multiple times in the fourth and Mitchell hit a three pointer to put them up fifteen. I thought, okay, that's the dagger. Clippers made a little bit of a run, they got to twelve. Donovan Mitchell put it away with that three pointer. There probably the game. No, the Clippers just kept fighting Afeatza Zubos got one to go. Isaacacuro had himself a game. You may look at the final box score and go, what do you mean at him? He didn't have twenty points. He didn't have some crazy quarter or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: He doesn't typically score this much. He doesn't typically hit threes at this rate. Isaacacorro went four or five from.
Speaker 4: The field and had.
Speaker 2: Three made three pointers on four attempts for his eleven points. He's a defensive guy in this league. He doesn't do a lot of scoring, and sometimes those little things. A guy who averages just six points per game going for eleven when your margin of error is so slim, somebody like that. Having a solid ball game can also do you in. Because after the Clippers got it to one eleven to ninety eight, he hit a huge three pointer with eight minutes left to put him up one fourteen to ninety eight. It just continued to give them a little bit of a cushion. Now, Norm came back with a bucket. Chris done with a bucket. Norm with a three pointer. Hey, nine point game. Darius Garland wasn't great. Buddy would get one to go right afterwards to put him back up by eleven. But then Chris Dunn hit a huge three pointer. It's an eight point game with five minutes left. The Clippers are there. Jared Allen I believe got a dunk on the other end afterwards after Zoo I do step up to help left his man, big throw down. Ten point game. They get up by eleven, they get up by twelve after Garland free throws Derek Jones junior big three pointer. This is the fight I'm looking for, Like the Clippers could have packed it in so many different times in this ball game and just refuse to. They're down eleven again at the two fifteen mark after a Garland bucket James Harden three pointer, eight point game, one to fifty seven left, Jared Allen bucket that made it a ten point game. Derek Jones junior three pointer.
Speaker 4: They're not giving in.
Speaker 2: It's a seven point game with a minute eighteen left, and at the thirty second mark it's a four point game. After Chris Dunn hits another three pointer. They made them have to hit their free throws late. Garland would end up going three to four the charity stripe and that's how the Clippers lose one twenty seven to one twenty two.
Speaker 4: So I don't fault the effort at all.
Speaker 2: The Clippers had multiple opportunities to let go of the rope, and they wouldn't. I'm good with that. Them not being able to get a bucket within a four minute stretch, a five minute stretch, not even a bucket a free throw. That is what killed them in this ballgame. Their offense just going into deep slumps at the wrong time. But Norman Powell look great. That's encouraging. Now, hopefully you get this version of Norman pal tomorrow against Orlando with Kawhi back and the Clippers can bounce back. Tip off for that one's at four pm Pacific. We'll take a quick time out, we'll come back. We'll get to your phone calls eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy I'm out of Mosland. After the Clippers fall in Cleveland made it close interesting without Kauai one twenty seven to one twenty two. You're listening to Clippers Talk. You're on M five seventy. LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Throws it up. The window finishes in the foul.
Speaker 1: Los Angeles Slipper Nation. This is your home for the LA Clippers. LA Clippers take us with you on the Ihearts radio app.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to say there's a moral victory is this late into the season, where the Clippers have just eight games left in this twenty twenty four to twenty twenty five NBA regular season, as they lose by five by a final score of one twenty seven to one twenty two. There's hard to say, or there's hard to find a moral victories this late in the year when you drop back into the play in But I like when I see a team that is without their best player continue to keep their identity intact. Your identity is being a defensive ball club, and they held down Garland and Spider for the most part.
Speaker 4: They play hard.
Speaker 2: That's their identity. I still saw a team out there that played hard. I still saw a team that didn't quit. I'll take that. It doesn't make.
Speaker 4: Up for the loss.
Speaker 2: It's still an l. But I'd rather see that level of fight than a team that just got run over without Kawhi on the road in Cleveland, because that could have happened down seventeen early on. They could have said, all right, back it up, we got Orlando tomorrow. Schedule loss. I didn't see that from the Clippers. That's not nothing. I think getting into a close game late, well, you can learn some lessons there. Getting into a tight, high intensity game late where strategy is involved like it was, you can learn something there and hopefully it'll pay off to being a win next time out. So I'm not overly concerned about this loss. You don't have Kawhi, he's playing his best basketball this season, and you almost beat the best team in the Eastern Conference and Norman Powell looks great, And do you have a chance to bounce back tomorrow against Orlando? Like if they lose the game tomorrow, now they're in trouble. But we knew coming in this was gonna be tough to win a game against the Cavaliers without Kawhi. Leonard Ray says on the chat side at Clippers Talk on YouTube. Norm rounding into form just before the playoffs is huge. Man had that killer mentality in the first half. I mean Norm was moving beautifully out there. God he had a layup. I think in the fourth quarter it looked like he was fouled. It was like he was bouncing off defenders to get to the hoop. No call, But the way he was weaving between guys, they're huge. I mean what's more important? Like, again, wins are critical right now. When you look at the standings.
Speaker 4: But if you're not getting the victory.
Speaker 2: Today in this one, and you knew that was me an uphill battle, what is I should say, the next most important thing to see from this Clippers bunch, Well, it would have been Norman Powell looking like himself again. If you want some positive and encouraging signs and takeaways. Now, hopefully this is a turning point for him and he gets back to playing his brand of basketball and the Clippers big four is strengthened. That's what I'm hoping for.
Speaker 4: Some people are complaining about the calls. I brought it up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Clippers does not getting a great whistle is that's the reason they lost the game. I'm not gonna say that. I'm gonna say it's those two one four minute stretch, one five minute stretch of going scoreless. You can you just can't go into russ for that long against a team like the Cavaliers with their offense best in the league, and hope to be able to hang with them.
Speaker 4: If eats A.
Speaker 2: Zubos didn't have a great game either, and the Clippers have to play through it. Also, at some point you have to realize, yeah, we're not getting calls tonight. It's probably not going to change, but I'm not going to let it affect my play. I thought they got into it a little bit too much with the officials. At some point you got to almost accept it. Now you can challenge some calls, and they did. But outside of that, I thought there was a little bit too much bickering by the Clippers. It was looking a little bit like the Lob City days. They were known for getting into it with officials. That stuff can become a bad habit, and this late into the season. I don't want to see that. So, you know, it's one thing for us fans to complain, it's another for the players on the court to complain. And I'll agree with miss Shakes. I eatsa Zubats. I thought you got into it far too much, because at some point it gets into your head. It affects your play. If you're always thinking that I'm probably not gonna get this call, or I can't believe it. I didn't get another call, you're late to get back on defense.
Speaker 4: You gotta let it go.
Speaker 2: At some point, you do. La Murray on Blueski, who we had on pregame, point out the fast break points. As I talked about earlier, the Clippers being outscored in the fast break thirty to eight. The only game where the Clippers were outscored by more points on the fast break was against the Timberwolves thirty two to eight back on December fourth. The Cabs push the pace, you miss shots, they're getting out and they're running the other way. Let's go to Arthur in La Arthur, you're on Clippers South with that Amazon.
Speaker 4: What's up Arthur?
Speaker 5: Hey, Adam, I just want to make a couple of quick points of about Yeah, don't you think Kawhi should have played knowing that this is the quote unquote tougher game of the two.
Speaker 4: Well, the problem was this, Arthur.
Speaker 2: So it would have been two games within forty eight hours because this was an earlier start today after the game that ended on Friday night in Brooklyn. And they're being overly cautious with Kawhi and his right knee because I don't know, he hasn't been able to finish the last four years healthy, so they're to treat it with an abundance of caution. And I don't think they wanted him playing two games within forty eight hours and that was the real issue, not so much about the opponent.
Speaker 5: Yes, hell yes. And so to piggyback on a point that Harold from North Hollywood could said a couple of weeks ago, I do agree with him. This a lot of three point shooting today. I was looking back a song, Oh Michael Jordan's when in the nineteen eighty eight I think he shot only about thirty three pointers that whole season. Now today that could be two games, let alone eighty two games. The game you don't need a pointer if you're up about five, A two pointer would put you up seven and doesn't make it a three possession game. And if you miss, you're scrambling on defense because long shuts need to run for the other team in you scrambling. What do you think about that point, I.
Speaker 4: Adam, Yeah, in that particular from there.
Speaker 5: The day and it was I'd say about thirty fifty years ago.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing, Arthur.
Speaker 2: The reason they take more three pointers is because the math and it goes like this, So if you're shooting thirty three percent from three, that's the equivalent of fifty percent from two, and thirty three percent from three is actually below league average. So it's not even good. So it makes sense to take more of those shots. And really they replaced a long A lot of long two pointers have been replaced by a shot that's worth a point more. They used to take a lot of long twos all the time. Now they step back a couple of feet. Why not take that shot and set it's worth a point more?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, well it wasn't away.
Speaker 5: And still I don't quite dig it.
Speaker 2: But all right, well, I appreciate the phone call, and I get what you're saying about. You know, up five, you don't need.
Speaker 4: A three pointer.
Speaker 2: A two pointer makes it uh a three possession game.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree with that part of it. Clippers end up falling in Cleveland one twenty seven to one twenty two without Kawhi. Leonard will take a quick time out looking for post game audio from coach lou after this one. I don't know if I'll be able to get it, because, uh, I don't know if Lomer is in New York. We don't got anybody else on the beat with this team right now. In Cleveland, unfortunate Clippers lose by five without Kawhi to the Cavaliers. I'm at a Mosland and you're listening to Clipperstock. You're on M five seven ELA Sports.
Speaker 1: You're listening to LA Clippers Basketball. Take us with you wherever you are on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Clippers lose one twenty seven and one twenty two in Cleveland to the Cavaliers.
Speaker 4: Welcome back in.
Speaker 2: I'm Adam Moslin. This is Clipperstock here on M five to seventy LA Sports. Still looking for post game audio and some quotes. I don't know if we'll be able to get any of that today.
Speaker 4: Let's hear from Barry in Ohio. Hello Barry, what's up? What do you want to say about Clippers?
Speaker 6: What's up? Clippers Nation? I think overall, it wasn't a bad It wasn't a bad loss. The guys still showed fight. They played until the end of the game. How'd you feel about the officiating and arresting during this game.
Speaker 4: I don't think the Clippers got a great whistle, to be honest.
Speaker 2: I also felt like they let it get to them too much at some point. Yeah, at some point you just have to accept it, like, Okay, we're on the road. We're not getting a great whistle, but we can't let it affect our play.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I've noticed that guys weren't running back. They're pouting, arguing about calls and stuff, and I've seen that, But overall, the guys showed fight. I think if they let us play physical and let us play our kind, our branded defense, this guy's a limit. But if they're going to officiate where we're touching guys and they're not gonna reciprocate the same thing when we play offense and not called fouls for us, it's it gets kind of difficult. But overall, I think it was a good win, normous back to re form, I mean, good loss. I'm sorry about a good win.
Speaker 2: But uh so, I'm already a suspicious barrier that you're actually a Caps fan but you're you're a Clippers fan in Ohio.
Speaker 6: No, No, I'm I'm I'm i'm a i'm a i'm a I'm a Clippers fan since the Lop City. I grew up watching them, So I'm not calling as a catchman, no, right on. But yeah, it was an overall it was a good loss. I think if Kawhi stays healthy and we play through those whistles and we're playing great defense, we have a good chance of making some noise in the playoffs. It all just depends on Kawhi. And I'm not too mad about this loss. I think the Orlando game is the most important game to get, especially with us losing this game. But yeah, if we stay healthy, we have a good chance of making some noise.
Speaker 2: No, I think you make a good point, Berryer. I appreciate the phone call. Don't be a stranger here. You ain't got to be alone as a Clippers fan there in Ohio. I'm sure there's plenty of you eight six, six, nine, eight, seven seventy. But you bring up not having Kawhi and saying all we need is Kawhi healthy. Well, that's the reason is it's not worth pushing him even in a regular season game like this, where coming into this game there was only nine remaining, now there's eight. I understand these are important games. Is it more important to win these games than having a healthy Kawhi in a playoff series? No, So you prioritize health over everything else With Kawhi, that's what it has to be. I know it can seem frustrating at times, but he wasn't going to play two games in less than forty eight hours. He's not playing back to backs. He's expected to play tomorrow against Orlando. You gotta go in with your eyes open and understand the situation. The goal is to have Kawhi healthy in the playoffs and him being able to finish a season healthy, because I know a lot of Clipper Nation fields like this. You know what, It's one thing if we lose in the playoffs and we go out with our best player and we're just not good enough, that's one thing. But over and over again, not having Kawhi that final game and ending the season that way, that's what leaves a bitter taste in your mouth because you wonder what could have been, because you feel like you were cheated by the basketball guys in a way. We haven't been able to see this team healthy, their best player, a guy who you get him healthy in a seven game series you feel confident against anyone be able to finish off the playoffs upright. That's been the problem. So I'm sympathetic to people who are wondering why he's out today against the Cleveland Cavaliers. But you got to understand the big picture here. This entire season is about getting Kawhi healthy for the most important games in the playoffs. That's how you have to look at it. We've seen him against Cleveland. We know he's a difference maker. He had his best game against them just less than two weeks ago in a game they wanted into it, don't We'll see him against Orlando tomorrow. More on that game coming up. After the Clippers fall without Kawhi Leonard one twenty seven, twenty two on the road to the Cavaliers. I'm out of Mosland and you're listening to clipperstock here on in five seven LA Sports.
Speaker 1: He throws it up the window finishes in the fowel Los Angeles Slipper Nation. This is your home for the LA Clippers. LA Clippers, take us with you on the Ihearts Radio AIP.
Speaker 2: It was in Cleveland by a final score of one to twenty seven and one to twenty two to the Cavaliers without Kawhi Leonard, who they will have back tomorrow. Ghost brings up a question after the Clippers lose by five, what's the point in resting Kawhi and playing everyone else thirty plus minutes on a back to back. Everyone's going to be gas tomorrow. Just puts more straight on Kawhi well, because it ended up being such a close game. James Harden came back in the game was winnable, so they ended up playing guys heavier minutes. Norman Pale at thirty nine beats Zubats at thirty seven, James Harden at thirty five. It was close enough where the Clippers went for it. They had a shot, couldn't get it across the finish line. Unfortunately, Calves held on against the Kawhi less Clippers team.
Speaker 4: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Think if they were getting blown out, those minutes would have been down for all those guys, but they weren't. Credit them for battling, Credit them for fighting. Keenan says, even though we lost, we kept fighting and never gave up. But coaches need to better, need to do better in what way? I don't understand how this one is on the coaches.
Speaker 4: I think the.
Speaker 2: Coaches actually had a pretty good game plan that gave the Clippers a chance to win. It came without Kawhi Leonard uh and.
Speaker 4: The players did their thing.
Speaker 2: normOn Pale, Look, there's a real good chance this games gets out of hand if Norman pal doesn't drop twenty in the second quarter. That was their lifeline. Norman Palell got them back into it down seventeen. He had a special performance in that second quarter in a good game overall, with thirty four points. If this is what we're going to see you moving forward, we're in good shape with Norm playing at this level. Lenny in Inglewood, one of my favorites. Lenny, you're on Clipper SoC without Amusin's hell?
Speaker 3: Lenny, Hey, what's up? What's up? Man? You ended on a point and I want to begin with it just right now. It's about getting Norm back in form. If Norm is back in form, we're looking good, and you know, the chances of us beating the best team, second best team in the NBA without Kawhi was already slim pickings. And then when we lost a mirror, that wasn't looking good either. But we get Norm back in form and we can still get we So as of right now, we're in sabbath. We lost six.
Speaker 2: Right as of right now, after this ballgame, they're in eighth. I'll give you the update right here now. There's a couple of games going on later tonight. Minnesota and the Golden State Warriors are playing. Currently, the Clippers are behind both of them. But we got to be rooting for here's what you want San Antonio to win it home over Golden State Minnesota, to lose it home against Detroit, Well.
Speaker 3: That that's gonna stretch, is Kate? Is Kate cutting in back?
Speaker 2: I believe he's playing. Yeah, that's that's a winnable game for the Pistons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a winnable game. And so is saying, oh no, not Wenby anyway, I don't care. Man, long we got Norm back. I needed Norm to have a big game, you know, So we're okay. Man, we're okay for the first time. I was a little bruved when we didn't when we didn't win that game against OKC. But we're back. I wanted to see Norm back, So we're good. Man, be okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Lenny, they could have given up in this game, and they didn't. To me, that's meaningful. I know that's not nothing.
Speaker 3: I totally agree. And and Norm just went on him. He went bananas. And that's what we need.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: There's there's just very few teams that have a third you know, and Norm is the leading scorer, but technically he's still like a second or third option. But he can get you thirty. Yeah, that's bananas.
Speaker 4: Man, easy thirty, light work thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah yeah, light work thirty. I like that. So I think we're good now. And then ky Lou, you know, we always got some of the sleeve for the playoffs. So let's just let's just let's just let's just stay, let's just stay the course. We're good, all right, Lenny.
Speaker 4: Good to hear from you my friends. All right, brother, be good show, Thanks Lenny.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Clippers fall by five.
Speaker 2: Spirited effort, played hard, played well for I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, I'll say.
Speaker 2: Thirty nine of the forty eight minutes. Just those two big stretches where they go four minutes scoreless in the first just about and of almost five minutes scoreless in the third probably what did them in overall, aside from just not having Kawhi. Leonard beats a zoobots an off game, didn't get a great whistle, a lot of things going against them, and the Clippers still made it interesting, kept you glued and listening to this ballgame with Carlo Jimenez on the call. So let's bounce back tomorrow, climber Nation Clippers in Orlando with Kawhi back taking on the Magic. They're a good ball club. Ignored their record, They've been banged up. When they're healthy, they're tough. They're one of the best defenses in the league top three defense, just like the Clippers. When they hit shots, you're gonna have a tough game. Hopefully the Clippers bring their defense and Kawhi on offense will certainly help. Tip off at four pregame at three. Before we get out of here, I do want to thank the Clippers organization, Ralph Lawler, Brian Seaman know what Igo, Carlo Jmenez on the call. As I mentioned Peg brother Jake Warner will see you on Wednesday, back and into a dome here in the bank. Our producer Daniel West doing a great job as always.
Speaker 4: I'm at a Mosland.
Speaker 2: We will talk to you tomorrow with three with your pregame show Clippers in Orlando.
Speaker 1: This has been Clippers Talk right here on your home for the LA Clippers Audio Network. Don't miss a single edition all season long after every game.
Speaker 2: The volume is truly impressive, and make sure.
Speaker 1: To follow wherever you podcast for special offer editions.
Speaker 6: Clippers Talk. Maybe