Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode thirty one.
Speaker 2: I have so much to do. I try to do within fifteen to twenty minutes just responding to people. Some people have told me that's their favorite part. Others maybe are annoyed because they want to cover more ground. It's eon versus the kiyas. I guess you could say from yeshivo lingo. But a lot of stuff is building up, and at the end we'll probably have to have one class just wrapping it up. In fact, I have a big correction to do. Mel's going to be happy, but thanks to Howard Handler. But I think it's a correction. But we'll get to that next week because there's other things I want to do, and I think since so many of you were with me on the Christmas Eve talk, at least I can spend just two minutes on that. Because I do this. Why do I make these corrections Because I'm a I guess perfectionist, and I want when I say it to be perfect, so if I misspeak. And I have a lot of sympathy for the politicians because when you're just speaking straight, so sometimes you say things that are incorrect. So I'd like to clarify you. So just and I listened today to the talk. I spoke about how we have this concept that even though something was permissible in the past, because the idolators did it, we can't do it. And I said it like a bumma. You know, these altars, they used to be permissible now there then they became not. Actually what I meant was a which you also offer us. So here you see it. For example, the pus it says you shall not sit up for yourself a monument, save where it says which God hates san so Rashi's quoting the tomorrow what's it's a monument of one stone? But then the next Rashi it says, God commands you to make an altar of not just one stone, but a bunch of stones. Because even though if you look into the Hummus you see Yakov set up but sea others in ton off. But once the idolators started setting it up, as it says, it was dear timid Day's in the patriarch, but now he hates it since these people, that.
Speaker 3: Is the the the.
Speaker 2: Eight idolators made it a statue for Idolatry, So Uh. And this concept, by the way, that things that were used to be okay are no longer. That's actually mentioned in the Pakaditzkak. He mentions that's the lot of encyclopedia. He quotes someone who says that do you know why we don't pray with our hands up in the air? Uh? For example, I think I have it here. Uh. Yes, look in embraces in huff bays, impared your doll huff bays. What does it say? It says uh Avram said to the King of Sadon, I have lifted up my hands to the Lord. And also in schmos I found in perih tests pussa huff tests mosher Aben who says, uh, here look in pussa huff tests a process cup pie lsm, I will spread forth my hands.
Speaker 3: Into the Lord. So we don't do that anymore.
Speaker 2: We don't talk him like this with our hands up in the air. And the explanation is given because the non Jews do it. So that okay, that's the first thing I wanted to do one of you, in speaking about I said that Jesus had some good things, because after all, it comes out of the Jewish environment. So it's some good things. And I couldn't remember the expression that was used. And what I meant to say was what he said. What's is good he says, is not new, and what's new is not good. But it actually I first found it not said about Jesus. Hunoff Albert in his studies on the Missioner says is follows. For those of you who know Greek, no German, I don't know if Howard's with us. He says about isaacah Avi's book, he said, hell good, this annoyus nour iss So the book has good and new. What's good is not new, and what's new is not good. And this is how we Fayak of Weinberg says it. In the Three d As Volume four, page two twenty eight. He uses the same expression. What he came up with novel ideas is not good umashu tov and what's good is not uh is not it's not something new. But and I in speaking of this, we speak about the golden rule. So I said the golden rule. It's not if you have the gold you make the rules. It's Christians do unto others. Now we have Hello says, don't do to others what you don't want done to yourself. And Christians always say, well, that's good, but it's not as good as a golden rule. And there's so many drush us explaining why we have the idea, what's paitful to you? Don't do to others? Not do it not in the positive sense? And why is the explanation is in the gold the negative golden rule. But I just threw out that we also have in our sources the positive golden rule do unto others. Incidentally, Confucius also has the negative golden rule, so we're not alone. But I threw out that we have a positive golden rule in our sources also. So someone challenged me. I like being challenged, but someone challenged me, where do we see in our sources golden a positive golden rule? And I get the challenge because you know, like I said, you can go online all the people explain why, Dafka, it's vital to have the negative golden rule, because the positive golden rule, how can you ever really what it says I have to How can you really love someone as much as you love yourself?
Speaker 3: It's impossible.
Speaker 2: That's why they do the negative golden rule. What it really means is don't do to others. But I threw it out, and so let me tell you what I had in my so hold on.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: In Hilhos avel, Rabat writes it as avel. In uh in chapter thirteen Halacha one, it's talking about how you have to visit the sick, come for mourners, et cetera, et cetera. And look at the end of uh Halaha one where he says love your neighbor as yourself. This charge implies that whatever you would like other people to do for you, you should do for your comrade. In tar amidstos called verchata harim assey at san la rimslos, here the rumbum quotes the principle the positive golden rule. And obviously the rumbam is part of our tradition. So if you look in hilhost A a l chapter fourteen, verse one, you see the rabam. And so where does Ramum get this the rumbum? Usually he doesn't make things up like this. Rahert Sog says he must have had a rabbinic so, which we don't have because the standard rabbinic sources they have to raff They give the negative golden rule, and that's where you get all the drushes about why the negative rule golden rule is better than the positive, but the real mom posts they have to and he quotes the positive golden rule, so he must have had some sort of madrashic texts that so uh for the one who challenged me, where do we have a positive golden rule? I can't show you on hazab and I show you the rumbam and that's in our tradition. That's basically just as good. Just for those who weren't with us Thursday Night, Robbie Hoodertz Hanking. If you recall we had a number of to vote by him at the beginning of our series. We're in class thirty one now, but if you go back to classes one through ten, he's dealt with him a lot. He passed away and you can read about all sorts of uh interest and a very interesting piece on Layerhouse. Look, he's been ill for the last few years and it hasn't he wasn't able to contribute. Next week, hopefully I will read you something that he called my attention to and said I would like it, something he wrote. I'll share it with you hopefully next week, and but Rebbie David Spurling, I think that's I think that's the name. Has a very nice piece in layerhouse. I highly recommend it. Okay, A couple more things. A rafa in Israel. He heard the talk or we watched the talk that I said ram we spoke ram as and ra meat that the women use this title. They turned it into ra meat. And he's even though it's an abbreviation, not to mention the diminutive. He says, he's in the idea, or he's been the last few years. He says the idea. He says, even though it's incorrect. I don't know why he says incorrect. If ISRAELI is toady, do what it's not incorrect. He gave me a bunch of examples. Here are three examples where Russia k vote in Israel and the Ideaf have become they for women. They had the tough ending. So for example, mefa cage aino katsin my shack. I guess I had pronounced it. So if it's a woman, it's ma shakite. And he have a few other examples, and I guess the diminutive it's not uh. They don't. It doesn't imply diminutive like we said, cough Copete and Sasaki, et cetera. Daniel maybe Daniel Sperling. Thank you, Howard. The check it out on their house. Okay, they forty already. I promised you this, and I'm going to get to it. But I do also have to deal with what I said Mike, uh, his issue about tom Wood. But let me just read this quickly. We have someone who lives in Israel, although I think he might call it the Zionist state, not Israel, and he's been listening to us for many, many years, and he he's not sometmer. Is there the quasi Zionist the ones that does. But I spoke if you were called about Rabbie Greenbutt and that he fought in there y'asu, and I mentioned that he I asked it, did you see any killings? He said not. I mentioned Bagan denies that there is a massacre, but I'm assuming there was a master. I mean, that's uh, that's the Israeli authority, the Jewish agency authorities acknowledged this. And I said, so that's the massacre. We can be able to compare that has quoted me one versus all the massacres from the other side. And obviously it's not just Scuscia cial and there's many and look he continues to our day, Yeah, there have been plenty of massacres. If you want to get your innate yourself a square named after you in Ramaala or something, killing one, two or three is not enough. You have to, like let off Obama and Sparrow or something, you killed ten. Then you'll get your your name and lights and everything. So what he writes to me is that, uh, that's only one of the massacres, and he mentions a couple others, a village da Wa Yema in which there was it seems uh no reason to doubt it that the number of people uh innocence were executed. He quotes cases of a lot of cases of rape that happened in forty eight war. This is all documented by Benny Morris and his book and Terrible Things done in the nineteen forty eight war. So all I would say is is follows. First of all here a sound. First of all, war, as they say, is hell, and every war has had terrible things. If you what's the most just war, you can imagine the war of the allies against the Nazis, and yet there were war crimes carried out by American soldiers, by British soldiers, by French sols, obviously by Soviet soldiers. I mean the amount of rapes that went on with that. So I don't feel I need to defend blindly if the evidence is there, and Benny Morris in his book nineteen forty eight and others has documented there's no it wasn't just Darius, you know, though that was the biggest. There was other things, and there were there was all sorts of rapes and things that were not proper. We don't need to defend that that that's wrong, and they had things happen in war, and I do believe that the other side it's worse. But this doesn't undermine I mean, the person who writes to us referst to in October the nineteen forty eight, the Zionist militia. I mean, we're here, we do with an idea for already, but I don't. I mean, all this talk about bad things, that doesn't undermine the justice of the cause anymore than the justice of the cause against the Nazis was undermined because that you had soldiers who did things that are improper, and so the you don't undermine Zionism by pointing out that you had soldiers who did to evil things and wrong things. You're going to have that in every war. That's my only response I can say to the person who wrote this about I can have a list, double triple as long as what the Arabs did. So that's all I would say. And I also there's one more point. I think people forget it. The actions of terrorism carried out you're good and and these were terrorism. In some cases they were terrorism against innocence and soldiers or anything. These were never advocated by the great rabbis we have, These were condemned. These and I don't feel we need to defend some of these things. Bombs, hand grenades thrown into crowded groups, which happened in the thirties in particular. These are wrong and we're not. I don't think any of us say that we're perfect and most perfect. The wars, of course, were fought differently. Then we can't be anachronistic. People drop bombs and civilians that's what they did. But we can acknowledge my correspondence. I say to you that there were things that were done which were improper. And what I can tell you also is that if right now, when Israeli were to go into an arid village and shoot up three people everyone, we'd all be shocked. And yet if it happens the other way, they hand out candy. So I you know the idea that that there's a that there's an equivalence here. And also when it comes to Marie, I have no Marie are a bunch of Marxists. Basically you can know about were they were pro Soviet after the founding of the state. Lechi was a pro Soviet organization. Chamir did sort of like a double and about face on that. But these are people with many of these people and including in their good I don't have por values. The Lech was pro Soviet and so they're not our heroes. So we can acknowledge there were some bad things there. But this doesn't by any means create an equivalents. And I don't want to play the game of citing all the terrible things that because, like I said, you can cite terrible things that American soldiers did and French soldiers did against the Nazis, what does that show you chose that people are human and they do and they do bad things. That's all I would say. And I encourage everyone to read Benny Morris's book. Benny Morris's had left this who became a right winger even in he even believes that the forty eight and even later there should have been complete separation of citizens, ause it would have had to peace in the end, so expulsion. But he's an honest historian, and he some of the stuff he writes about it is very difficult to read. But okay, I'm gonna leave for next week something not sent me and some other stuff about Trump. I just want to end with one more thing before we again, because I promise. Oh, and I do have to say, I apologize to well thinking about doctorates, I apologize to read Biselli Achik. Here's his doctoral dissertation. Unlike the others I said, I think it was like eighty pages. Lo, and behold it's not. It's a hundred and what is it? One hundred and ten pages, so a little bit bigger, but again not the size of a doctor dissertation that today you'd expect in America or in Germany for that matter. Here it is. Here's the if you go to the Wikipedia page or for by cell of a Chick, you can find what I discovered in East Berlin before it was West Berlin from myself. So me and the last thing I want to speak about and then we'll go right into it is that I I and this really continues with what we did last class, because we're going to get toakha couple Schwarts. For those who want to see the great couple of Schwartz, here he is again. I showed you the picture of him speaking before them groups from the twenty first of kiss Lev which was three weeks ago or something like that, and no one had masks. And someone said, well they all sot Mao has a immunity, but apparently not everyone because the Rebbie in Williamsburg they have two rebbies. He got COVID this week. So what can I tell you?
Speaker 1: But he he.
Speaker 2: We spoke about it a couple of strange stories in the tomorrow and I gave my theory that this maybe was not intended for everyone to see, that this is like an internal book from rabbis to other rabbis, so they can criticize other rabbis in a way that surely not for ours to hear, and that that explains why some of these unusual passages. So I was challenged by a night the Talmud is it's supposed to be for everyone. I'm making a seam likeg it's only for elites. So let me just say a few words about this and I well, first of all, when when various godobling were asked about translating the Talmwood, many of them opposed it. Then many of them, in particular when it came to the adot, said not to because the masses are not supposed to see this. Now, they were referring in particular to passages that dealt with anthropomorphism, god wearing to fill in that sort of thing. But I think it's the same idea that the masses would not be able to understand these agadot, and therefore it's not for them. So this isn't really my hiddish. The idea I just applied. I just extended a little to other areas. But what do I mean when I say the Talmwood is obviously everyone started with Talmud. In fact, you can see sources that tell you we'll see the rama minutes and more others that you have to teach your children. Viewer of law, you have to teach him gamara. That's not what we're dealing with. Obviously, you have to teach everyone has to be talking tomorrow. The question is what happens to the people who don't continue in the gamara and then they they they're educate, their gamora education remains what it was. Well, in Europe, it would be when you're twelve years old, because that's basically when you finished later and went to work. Obviously, everyone has to be given the opportunity to learn gamora because that's really how you enter into intellectual Judaism, the whole tradition. But historically that was only for the elites. What we have in modern times is a popularization of tom Woods study, which we never had before. It didn't start with art scroll. Don't forget Rabbi Steinzeltz's translation had the huskma of Ramosha fine steam. And not only that, let me share with you something that people don't even realize. This popularization began in the nineteenth century. Even well, you had the translation of Pinner of the Talmud with the hustband suffer for gave an approbation for here you see a book Ha Madrich, which appears in the early part of well the early part of the twentieth century. This is basically like a copy of Gamara, and you can see it here. It's so this is what the pages look like. You have the the Gamara and it's it's basically a raw It's like Shrinze. So you might say, well, why is who says this is significant?
Speaker 3: Look?
Speaker 2: Who uh gave the approbations for this? Well, first of all it begins the first page of Vitil Inspector of Coveno and some Sparta crabbis, and then you continue. It took a while they were where is it? Have it here?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: The uh?
Speaker 3: There are other husk.
Speaker 2: You see of all these rabbis printed, because there was a second edition, and among them you have here Remo Liver. You see down here real health Deeseimer. So you did have popularization of the tone. What have you have people who believed that we should encourage the masses to learn and make it easier for them, although these masses are not even the bar masses, because at least they can read Hebrew. However, there also was a different tradition. Let's not forget what the Rombum says. The Rombum says in the introduction of the Mission too, there is here here.
Speaker 3: What does he say?
Speaker 2: He says that when you when you study that when he wrote this book, the Mission Tara, a person should first study the original law, and then study this text, the Mission Tara, and comprehend the entire or all firm it without having to study any other text. So the rom Bum tells you that for the typical person, you won't need to study anything other than the Mission of Tora and the Torah itself, Ummish, you don't need to learn Gamara? So who needs to learn gamarra? Obviously the rom bumming knowledges that to tell me Hami the big people need to learn because any of the pasta Shai was But the Rambum's already telling you that the average person is not going to need to learn gamar And now how this stims with what we're going to see in the rambamb himself in a second, we'll see. Furthermore, we know that Satahadrek tells you that before Mayor Biluffi and Spain who started writing commentaries, they only study the Riff And I say, only the average people to tell me Jamim only studied the riff. Only the super people would study otherwise, So we see this as a tradition. And now I want to read you something from Vadiosa appears in his response in the Cavadas, volume six, number fifty two. It's actually summarized by his grandson. You can just google this she or Daffiomi or Vadiosif. And here's the question. If someone learns every day at dafiomi Shir, does he fulfill his obligation of learning tone every day? And he begins by citing the gamara, which we'll see from the rambum in a minute, that everyone should split their day into three, which is Mikra, Mishna and talmud and the ram inside in the second. But then he goes on to say that the the Ahronim doubt the dealt with this, and he quotes the shop. You're not gonna believe me, but here here it is. It's in the shop and you're a day race memvov and it's Simon hey. The shot quotes the drisha. He says, some bala bats him every day learned Gamara rashu tosos the low sharp post game. They don't warn any halasa, and then he goes on they bring a proof for this. Then if you learn halafa every day, move to the b Olamhaba. And but then he goes on lee near y Sifria post scheme Dina Taraka, Moharif and Wai rush the ze Karatar, saying he says that we I think you have to learn the halafas halfa far they call believe in Gamara perishosis. He says, you don't fulfill the midst of learning terror if you just learn Gamara Rashi and tostiv Us, there's no practical hallafa thing there. And therefore vad Yosef concludes, if if you're able to, you should learn every day Daffyomi and also share in halaha. But if you only have time for one share, oh, wellhalaka, you shall learn halafa king. But if you only can learn one, you should do halaha. Now it's obvious why this won't work, because Hala for most people is dry and and Daffioli has become a whole social experience and it gives strength to Orthodoxy. But RACHAMAVADYOSIV says he doesn't like it. He thinks that if you can only learn one. Shear it should be halasa, because that's not for you to learn tomorrow. If you only have one, you should una if you have time for both. But obviously, like you said, it doesn't work. And Daffyomi is able to inspire people and give them something which Alaka couldn't, and Uh in the lithuani Yeshiva world would not follow over values approach. They obviously believe everyone who can should wear in goamorrow.
Speaker 3: What I.
Speaker 2: Just want to conclude with though, well let me show you the tomorrow so that you see what I'm talking about here it's it's an amazing run bomb. Here he says, as follows. So here the rum mom says a person, this is from the gamar, can you shoot? You have to divide your study time to three. One third should be the written law, one third ural law, and one third conceptualizing. So SoRs things like that, and drum says in twelve, how is this express if you're a worker three hours a day in work and nine hours a day in tourist study. Many people have commented today we'd be happy if people who are workers spend nine hours working in three hours learning. But he says three so you're supposed to spend three hours reading the written law, three of the ural law and three of scars, et cetera. And then later when you're advanced, you can really just focus on gamorrow itself. You don't even need to spend I'm really on the written to our regis occasionally. The point is, though, that this is for people who are already advanced. What I was speaking about was people who never made it for whatever reason. So you do with a fifty five year old and you'll have time to learn an hour a day, what should you do? I think in the Yeshiva world you should learn gamar, and that's the American approach. But others have a different approach. And I'll end with an example of this.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I have a little book here. This is a book that it's an attack here published by smart types all against art scroll popularization. And there's an article and also on the journal or you, sirall, if you look in volume fifty, there's an article there by a Rabbi MORTEHAILI Guerrillik. He's rubed by garlk of yu Son, and he goes off into how the whole idea of that the masses are not supposed to learn. He says, in the earlier years there was a fever for riff lere Mishnayas Gabran Yakov, and that's what they should do. Even he says Daffi only to have its time only agreed with it because of the musculium and the reformers, And it was just that the people would get a sense that Talmud is so important, but not really that they should Rabehaian Rappaport has a very long response to this, This idea of this elitist idea to talmut is only for the elites. So well even at that, But that's what I meant, Mike when I said this idea had something that I think it's clear that many people do share this idea that Talmud study is not for the masses, that everyone should enter. We hope that everyone becomes a tumultus or reality. It's not going to happen in there. For what are you supposed to do with your time? In the run bomb, there is speaking about someone who's able to learn. But if you're not able to learn, what's better to sit with a or to sit with the You know, this was unimaginable before our day because we didn't have English commerce. So you have many people who are even the book I showed you the Madrich, a bunch of Hungarians came out opposing this popularization of the Talmud. But I have to say that with all art, stroke can be supported because if you look at the Godoli who gave the Huskama to the bo Camadrich, you see that these were the greatest of Lithoeni. You don't have the Hungarians there, but you have the lifshore world, you have the started world, and it's basically the first steinsold. So we I think that's the mainstream tradition today. It doesn't take away from the fact what I said, however, that I do think that some of these stories in the Talmud, like were never meant for everyone to sing. Remember the riff doesn't have a gun ta, he only has a lot. Okay, everyone, we'll get to the other thing next week. Let us continue. I mean, move my books over here. I'm gonna show you some great stuff today. Incidentally, I don't know if any of you know this book. This is the work of the Rumbum, at least we think it's the Rambum and Rebi Retsabi has a commentary on it. He deals with the names of God and Sukhim, and he thinks that Bethel is a holy name. I wasn't able. I was looking and looking find any explicit hector to erase God's name. This goes back to last week when it's written in transliteration that is a Hebrew name in English characters. I'm thinking, maybe you could say Bethel. You don't have in mind God's name, you haven't mind the synagogue. So I guess maybe that's the hector. Thank you Barrie late for sending me that the the author of the Kitzer the he wrote a book Bushkasa Sofa. He does say that you can't say all he can't write it, and he quotes of Zieberstein. So unless you come over with the hector that Bethel doesn't refer to God, it just revers to the place. I think it's a problem, but we'll leave that. We're in the middle of now where I a couple of shorts. I introduced you to him last class, and I want to now we're gonna deal with something with Yako Kamenetski. Yakov Komenetsky. He really was very unusual. He wasn't he was a Lithuanian roseshiva, U a great roseshiva. But all you have to do is look at his commentary on and Maslakov and you see that he's not a typical uh Lithuania torrescat or the stress on Dick Dook on Trump and everything like that. In fact, let me show you something now that will blow you away. I mentioned it in Limits of Orthodoxology. But uh, for those who don't remember, don't uh, I'm gonna show you something. He has this great, great commentary. Just I'm just giving you as an example of one example of how unusual he is. You will never find anything like this in you know the uh Gadoli worried about humish, certainly from Lithuanian world. The Pussak says in uh perakhoff luff gimmel in vaikra It says you should not go don't uh, don't follow the practices of the non Jews and uh Rebe Kamenski points out that when the Rambam cites this Pussok in the Missionatara, what does he called for? Cited as hukos hog you not how go?
Speaker 3: How go you?
Speaker 2: So he goes on he discusses this and then he comes to the end. Here he says that I'll just read it to you the fourth half on I saw in the addition of thea from which have the notes from kiss te Kim and who put this together Huff Dollard, Ginsburg, London, nineteen oh nine. We'll get back to this in a second Shahevi Nuska.
Speaker 3: He brought a.
Speaker 2: Source in from the Samaritan Hummish that it does how you and also combat Targooming, which seemed to have the word how go you? Not how going? As the text there the why should can't I accustom safer Rambam, And he's saying, maybe the Rambam's text was different than our Tara text and had the word go you, how go you? Not hag you? That's pretty incredible to make that sort of insight. What he's referring to is this book ramiche kumche Tora. Here's the English title page were Latin by C. A. Ginsburg, which has the different notes. Here's the the page we're looking at. So in here it is plus twenty three. You see, so if you go down to the bottom in the note here verse twenty three, it says other books have, How go you and what does he give an example? Well, that's a manuscript. Then Kretschen is the m and then this is the Sivim, the Seituagint and uncles. This is a critical pentitude lower criticism, and Rabayaka of Kamenetski is using it.
Speaker 3: Not only is he using it, but uh, do you know who C. D. Ginsburg is?
Speaker 2: A second? I think I have where did I have it? Here? Around?
Speaker 3: And and and he knew this as well too. Uh, this is what I think.
Speaker 2: Again, I D pushed you out a mistake here?
Speaker 3: Who is C. D.
Speaker 2: Ginsburg? His name is Christian David Ginsburg. He's an apostate who was an experta. So here we have Ravaka of Kamenetski offering that perhaps the Rombums version of the Torah is different than ours, because because he cites the Pustle differently, and maybe he had the version that's preserved in the Samaritan, the Tuk and the different Targo meme. And had Dosranko Fromski knows this. He knows this because he's using a tanach, which is a critical tanah, you know, lower criticism, providing alternate texts put together by a Mashulman named Christian David Ginsberg. That is not the sort of thing that the typical roast yeshiva is due. I do have to say, however, that it's it's unfortunate that Rivyakov fell into this trap here because the rumbumb doesn't have that at all. If you look in the good rom bombs, which I guess weren't around his day, for example, the the Mishnatura of the Franco edition, you see that it's the same puss Hugoi. It's not hog And that's all the different to the important text of manuscripts. In fact, the famous one that has the rahmbam. I'll show you right now his signature at the end of it. The Oxford manuscript that also has AGOI. So yes, we have texts that have am, but that's not what it was before the rumba. Here here, I have a beautiful volume here and you see it here. This is it's a text. It's the This is the text which has the rumbum. I'll show you his yeah, hold it up.
Speaker 3: For you.
Speaker 2: Right right, Who got miss free on the motion? This is a a reproduction of that's safer Mada and save for Alva of the manuscript. The Ramam didn't write the manuscript, but he says it came from it was copied from his own manuscript. And that's we have more signatures than the rumbum. But that's the that's the famous one. Okay. So why do I mentioned this about Ryaka Kamenetski because ri he says an amazing thing, which like how thet he is going to deal with We have a puzzle in devartment to our where we hear Deuteronomy chapter four, verse nineteen. What do you make of this puzzle? Care that says, and let's now lift up thine eyes into heaven, and when you see the sun and the moon and the stars, even all the hosts of heaven, you be drawn away and worship them and serve them, which the Lord thy God has allotted into all the people's under the whole heaven. And he's gonna say, you can't do that. What do you mean God has allotted unto all the people that they should worship them. That means that they're allowed to do this. What does it mean God gave it to them? If you look in Rashi, Rashi explains, well, God sort of gave it to them. They can make a mistake on it and he doesn't care. They can worship idolatry. But if you look in the Rashbomb and other commentaries, what they seem to be saying is whereas I have a rush bomb, I think here rush bomb, what I uh here? If you look in nineteen sha means well one that's the shot to light up I guess no, no, no no, that's one version to that. They gave him the sun to as they could see. Well, if the ecrep shot, what's the mame shot? Rush Bomb says, I mean loved on God gave them the stars and the sun to worship, because he's not really that concerned to what they worship. But not like in the Rashi sense that it's negative. Here it seems that it's uh, He's allowing them to worship. It's not a concern for him and the the Xavoca Bobo uses this pussle to prove that the concept of Sheeto that we spoke about that as long as the nations recognize that there's some higher power, they can use these intermediate forces. That's how Xavakabola they justifies the idea of she took that we spoke about that nanjows are allowed to the Pussic is almost explicit on it. Rush Bomb's almost explicit on it. Uh in what he's saying. So what does Reacha Kaminski say If you look at his msli alcohol on persius veskana this pus he says. He says, this follows he thinks that there is a fundamental dispute about a jotasar foreign worship. Now, according to the Rambam, it's it's all nonsense idolatry. But according to ain't ba Mama, she car they alkohakal they idol said that yourship the stars all that they have no value and not when you worship them, you're also wasting your time. But he says, the ramband holds that God has put into the structure of the world that every nation has a has like a a god. It's not a god, a god with a small g I don't know what you call it. A force, a power, mush be a he calls it in the and that has coohmass powers that could affect and benefit its nation. That is, every nation worships certain gods, and those gods have authority and can benefit them as long as it doesn't refer to Israel, so what is but it's forbidden? The issor of Lodizara is that the nations are forbidding to worship these forces rather because their power comes from God. So the nations have to worship God, and then the powers will be given to these idols. But he says, in o them. But if nevertheless, they don't worship God, but they worship these powers, who is poly must be these?
Speaker 3: If you worship let's say.
Speaker 2: Zeus, not supposed to these social worship gods, and then they don't go through Zeus. But if you do worship Zeus.
Speaker 3: It will help you king. And he says this is the meaning of the puss that God.
Speaker 2: Must be and then he quotes a Pussic in chaf Team where as a proof for this, here's the pus Key quotes, where is it your cheft? This is a Pussic in chapter eleven where uh Gift our own is making war against them. So Gift sends to uh them, don't you know, don't make war with us? What would happen to all the other nations? And he's telling the story and in in pussa huff doll it he says, will doubt not possess you. Know, as he's saying, keep to yourself. You don't know to worry about uh going to war against us. Willout not possess that which Ramosh thy God giveth thee to possess you. Now it's keep what you have, whatever your God gave you, and anyone who fights with us will destroy them, et cetera. Soakov says, although the Raal Balgan that interprets this as derek halag like it's a mocking thing. It's like they say, you know, you're God, but not a real god, but a phony god. But Rivakov says, according to the view of the Ramban lo Isa coven Us.
Speaker 3: Hella coven Us, so he wasn't mocking them. He was saying the shot.
Speaker 2: Mash that that your God uh Kamosh does have the power to uh help you and give you things in all the tins, et cetera, et cetera. The point being, Rizakov holes that the world is created in such a way that there are these forces out there that are connected to the different nations, and the nations are benefited through these forces through God, that is, the God provides these powers with their ability and Therefore, the benefit of the nations goes through these powers, but the benefit of the Jews comes directly from Russiam. However, the powers already exist there there, and if the nations choose to short circuit and not worship God, go directly to the intermediaries or the the the underlings. They have powers. Just like if a king, there's a there's princes or dukes. You can go directly to the duke. Maybe the duke has independent power. Rivyakov says, I know this might strike some of you as even blasphemy, but he says that these and he says, this is the shot of the Ramban, that these forces that are created by God have independent ability to respond. It's built into nature that although it's a sin to approach them without going to God, if you do, it'll work. It's no different than like a magnet or something that God created the magnetism. But you can do the magnet on your own, or you can light fire on your own. And this is part of the structure of the world. Just like we have free will, these powers can act, et cetera. That's what he says. I first heard this concept when I was in high school in tenth grade and a teacher Riiseman.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: Since it's passed away, I don't know if he's related to the rise the famous Raby Risemon. And I remember in class him saying once that you couldn't why did all these nations out there worship these idols if they didn't get anything from it? So he said that he thinks that there must have been something. There must have been something in nature that by worshiping the idols something there was some return by definition built in no different than like if you eid a matchine the lights up the fire. So too that if you worship the idols that they had this authority, you shouldn't do it, but if you do it, it it exists. And I remember thinking, this is the craziest thing. This is the Rambuan would say this is complete heresy, but that's what he said. And then I find I don't know if he was a Termads person, but Ravyakov says the exact same thing. And that's what this letter is about, because I had sent Rabahai Rappaport wrote a piece about this. How it really what he's saying, what Yakov is saying, it's not what it's not in the Ramban on the surface it seems, but it's really not there. And Rabbi Schwartz agrees that Rubbert Upward's correct. Not is this not found in the Rumban, but the Rumban in another place explicitly speaks differently. He quotes the Rumban in Yusro, where the Rumban says that the nation's hush food. They thought that the gods, yesham Nihois like Teva, they thought this, but it's not true. They never had this ability. So it's a fundamental dispute between Rabbi Schwartz. Although Rabbi Kamenevsky is reading the Ramban this way, which is very difficult to read because the Ramban is and any. He sits another plussic where the Ramban Mishbuting says that they thought this. They thought that the the the the gods with the small gi had this power. But that's so, I don't know what you do. So let's say you show to your satisfaction that the Rumban doesn't say it, but does Rizakov still thought it.
Speaker 3: So even if he's.
Speaker 2: Wrong about the Rumban, he still thought that this was a kosher opinion. Maybe the Ramban never said it, but he thought this is a kosher opinion to explain the way the world functions, that there's forces, and really, when you think about it, I don't. I don't have the reaction to here when I was in high school. What if you believe in demons. Let's say the people believe in demons or astrology. They believe that these were created, these things or demons. Let's say we're created, but then they have powers. You have all these traditions about angels rebelling. Fine, the ron mom sees this as superstitions, but you have it in sources. It doesn't take away from God, from monotheism. It doesn't take because God is still the ultimate authority. But just like humans can go around and kill people, they are free will and they are created, so too, God created forces that if people choose to go to them, they're sinning. But the forces at power, just like you can go to an evil person and ask you to hire and to go kill someone. So Ravakov believes the Ramban.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Vakov personally believes that he believes the Ramban held that not just in this world is their free will that goes against God. That even in the opera worlds you have this, and raus Schwartz thinks absolutely not. But the very interesting position of of of Dako Kamenetsky, Well, there's been a lot written on the Ramban, his view of the Scapegoat and what he has. He has some passages there that it's really it comes very close to like a sort of alternate powers. This has been written about who someone recently wrote an article on this and on the the the other powers in the in the Ramban. It's very it's very cabitalistic. It's if you're not into that, it's it strikes you as as dualistic, almost almost idolatrous even, but you have to understand it's a different perspective of the universe than we're usually taught in ours. When you send out the scapegoat, what are you sending it for? Where where you sending it? To the idea you have these ideas that there's some sort of other like power in the desert sort of thing. I don't need to into that. I'm going to skip number one seventeen in the in the Safer that just deals with an issue I asked them about. I was wrong. I misinterpreted something that the Hassam Sofer said, so he corrected me and the Rambo. But I want to get to now number one eighteen, which is on page two forty five, and this is Rabbi Rappaport. Back to Rabbi Rapaport now, and I need to give an introduction here. The title of this is what is the words referring to secular knowledge? Me, what's he talking about? Well, the Rumbum wrote a letter to the scholars of Southern France. The scholars of Southern France a page up here. We're basically sympathetic to the rumbumb to the study philosophy, most of them, but not all of them. And they didn't they didn't have I mean, some like the me Erie, were more than others. We spoke about the Rabbino Yona, although he was he studied under an unusual person who was really the great opponent of.
Speaker 1: The rum Bum.
Speaker 2: But they were not many of them were not totally on board with even if they were sympathetic philosophy to everything the rum Bub stood for. And he wrote a series of letters. See he responds that he explained certain problematic elements in the mission of Tara that they had asked him about and he wrote a very long letter to the scholars, and the premier scholar was Jonathan of Unel. Just last year by Charles Sheer translated this. He calls it the Grand Epistle to the Scholars of Unel, where the rumbumb before getting into the the objections that they had, the alt of objections, well, there wasn't so much objections often as explaining what the Ramba meant. He has this very long letter in which very malitsa poetic and in this letter, among other things, he says as follows, I believe I pulled it up here the original, So yeah, maybe maybe I didn't. Well, I'll tell you, yeah, I don't think I made the hold it up. Okay, I'll tell you what he says. D Rumbum says, calls us out. D Rumbum says that he studied all the secular studies he did were like catabajot O folks were perfumers and uh cooks and and bakers. And he says that these were not they're they're not the essential My essential thing is Torah. These are sort of like the secondary things, and they make tower look good in the eyes of the nations. He's downplaying the significance of secular studies as the secondary. Actually, this would be what we would say in Toromanta probably or maybe some forms of Toromanta. Actually I don't know and not not not Norman Lambs, Toromano, others so others Uma. But that's the problem is which I raised, is that if you look in the mission of Torah, and you look in the Morenauchi, these secular studies, at least some of the secure studies science, philosophy, metaphysics, physics. Uh, these are not secondary things. These are essential. We've spoken about this already essential for Tonra's study. You can't fulfill the midst of if you don't know science.
Speaker 3: This is basic.
Speaker 2: Look in hil Is Sodia Toner the first four chapters. And that's not my submarracis my sco my subracis. That's the big thing, he says, Uh, the little things really is the other forms of tom was starting the thing we do every day, daffi only.
Speaker 3: But philosophy is higher.
Speaker 2: How could the Rambams say in writing to them, the secular studies it's sort of like a side interest of him. It doesn't define him. So what Professor Torski and his introduction to the Codamimonodes. He says, what the Raman's referring to there is not metaphysics, physics, chemistry, that sort of thing that helps us understand the world. He's referring to, let's say logic and mathematics. Maybe, but I don't seem the language in the rombamb My argument, and I wrote this, and this is what right Reports responding to, is that I think the Rambam's letter is written with an eye towards who's receiving it. That although the people in that he's writing to were sympathetic to the study of philosophy, but only as like a secondary thing. They were were open minded people who believe that when you reach a certain age, even the Rushbah, the band against the study of philosophy, was like under twenty five, when you reach a certain age, you can study it. But they didn't. They didn't buy into the romans whole idea that my Rati's and Lisa Markova is the Secrets of the Tonra I mean is for his science, physics and metaphysics. So I think the Rahmbam's letter and I have an article which I give a number of examples in which the Rambam writes things that seem to appeal to certain people, they're not necessarily affecting his his inner feelings. So I wrote, Report is responding to me, and he says that, well'sk at the beginning of it. What he what he says basically is that.
Speaker 3: He says that.
Speaker 2: I call He says, you called this a munajrat a necessary belief and not a true belief for the Rombum. And he says, I don't think that's the case. He says, What I think is the case is that the Rumbum is writing the FDA in accordance to the opinion of the people who is writing to. And as the point is, though I said that exact same thing, I don't know where Robert Report got this. I sent them an essay of mine to read. What I did is I have a whole article like it's send to anyone where I speak about the idea of necessary beliefs in the rom Bum. The Rambum says that there's a concept of necessary beliefs versus true beliefs. A necessary belief is what you want people to believe, even if it's not true, but it has certain value. Religious value, political value. The Rumum thinks the tower itself has necessary beliefs. The Rumbum speaks that says that the tower speaks of God being angry, and he says it's important for the masses to believe that God really gets angry, even though God doesn't have emotions that the intellectuals understand. When it says God gets angry, it doesn't mean it in a literal sense. But the masses, the ram Mom says, before they are supposed to take it literally. Later, if they can, they'll be able to expand themselves and understand that it's not really literal. But God responds in a way that you would think he has anger, because humans would respond that way if they had anger, you know, they destroy a city or something like that.
Speaker 3: And the.
Speaker 2: There's a whole of type of analysis the Rombum that focuses on necessary beliefs, because the rom Bum sometimes writes things and elsewhere writes things differently, So why was he writing it one way and writing in some of his letters he says things that he says differently in the Morn and the ram Moum hints in a number of places that what he says is the necessary belief. That is, it's not as true belief. It's not the belief for the intellectuals, it's the belief for the masses. And the rur Mom tells us that the masses are not supposed to be let into the true beliefs. That he tells us explicitly in the moreno Vouchim that there are certain things that the masses can't be given the truth that by definition that means that they're being given something which is what we call it necessary truth, that it's necessary for them to believe it, but it's not really the truth. And in discussing this concept in the rom Bumb I gave other examples where the rombumb expresses himself in a way that doesn't really reflects his true view. I'm calling a necessary belief, because a necessary belief is a belief that people, let's say, the masses are really supposed to believe until they're able to move beyond that. He wasn't writing to the scholars of France and saying that they're supposed to believe this. He wasn't trying to indoctrinate them like in other places will try to indoctrinate the masses in certain ideas, because he feels without this, they won't be able to stay on the proper path.
Speaker 3: I think rabbis today do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Rabbis will speak very differently from the pulpit than they will in private groups. There are certain things you don't want to say publicly, because raf Cook himself says Raff Cook says that you shouldn't say something publicly, even if you know it's true, if it will negatively affect the faith of someone, that someone's not sophisticated, they can't understand about evolution power, he says, don't speak about it. So for that person, you give them a certain truth. In Buddhism, this is called necessary means. That is, the simple people, you need to teach them a certain way that they can appreciate.
Speaker 3: The intellectuals, you do.
Speaker 2: It in a different way. This this parallel, and we have that's the exact parallel with the rob is doing necessary means. We teach our children differently than we treat that teach adults. So what I was saying is that when he wrote to the scholars of France, because they are not thought, they're not philosophally in calling the way he is. He writes a certain way. In another article I post, as I point out Cook Roff Cook is right. He has this letter where he writes to the leaders of to try to explain why he's why he supports us, say, the settlement of the irreligious, and we all know off Cook's opinion. Of Cook's opinion is that the eureligious have much to gain, have benefit us, and that they provide the physicality and we're the spirituality, but they're they're also vital for the creation of the rebuilding of this new land, et cetera, et cetera. And that they are going to teach the religious about strength because we the religious, have forgotten what it means to have strong bodies and we only have the spirituality, but the irreligious have the physicality. So we're gonna give them spirituality, They're going to give the physicality. This a whole dialectic, it's basic, drific What does he do when he writes to the rabbis that he says, we need to encourage he's irreligious because they're the ones who can build the roads, and they're the ones who can, you know, build things, because that's what they do. And without any relevance to the theological significance that he sees in the irreligious. So I think the same with the rumbum that he writes to the scholars of France. He's saying to them that in words they can understand. And that's exactly where the rabbitport says. So if he does a show only and he goes on, he says, we find in other places Shathilgdolistro, even great rabbis didn't attempt to convince the recipient of a letter what they were saying. Rather, a shoemol hamofi mal rather wrote to them in accordance to with how they their perspective. And he said, by report says, and he's correct that this has not do with necessary beliefs. And and he says, because what that means that the rambo thought he could uh convince them of it, that he would try to convince them and they he wouldn't have any reason to keep them in their their their beliefs. But that's not that that's not what it means at all. Uh. And I point out in the note that this is exactly what I said in my article. I pointed out the same thing. And my rapport must not have seen the final edition of my article. But the concept is the same, that they're not everything great rabbi is right, reflects their true opinion all the time. I know this is radical maybe for some people. One with this that you often find great rabbi saying things that are are for the audience, or that they contradict themselves. They're in a certain circumstance, they'll respond a certain way. You have stories, robs Acheck, he responded different ways to different people. Well, some people, some people are not ready for a certain SoC Let's say, let's speak in terms of holakau. Some people whereby salivate chiku in nefasherav or chefter quote. I think it's afterever. The next one quotes him as saying, in those days are solvation. You see kraft cheese. And he held that the vinasakum, there's no issue. It's a vegetarian. But if Salik told the Yeshiva students the Snagel students, don't tell your Ballabat team that this is permissible, because the Ballabat team it's alchave mowering king. That's a principle that not everything you should be made public for everyone. So you respond differently to different people. That's that's sort of like a uh, the rabbi is listening to me. I probably say, well, I'll duh. Of course we know we can't say everything the same thing instead of saying everyone. But it's sometimes problematic when you see people writing in letters. I saw of Weinberg. He writes one way to someone from the Ayeshiva world in a different way, not necessarily always a kind tradiction, but just the different stress. So when he writes to someone in the Yeshiba world, he'll talk about the problems that the state of Israel, you know, the Secui re Zionists, and he just had that. You think he's an a gouddiest. But then you see him ryan to a Msraki person about in the state of Israel is the greatest gift given to us from God? It is it a contradiction now, But when he's writing to one person, so where does his heart really lay. Maybe it's the a gouddist or maybe with the Masraki that's what I read about in the book. But this is you see this with the Rambam. Also, lat says it, anyone who studied the Rambam knows that you have different stresses and sometimes even perhaps contradictions. So with this will end what we're going to pick up next class. We're going to go to the ballatonia. Wait, do you see what the balatonia says totally in opposition to what the Hasidium at least many Hasidim will hold today. Then we'll get into what I thought we might get to the very troubling passage with the tour, and if we get to it next pass we'll get into a little bit of a batte din appeals courts whatever, Well, where do we have our lawyers here? You're often told in Yeshiva that this whole conception of appeals courts and the Israel bote did system is taken from secular because tour doesn't know about appeals courts. And so we'll hear what was going on in Prague?
Speaker 3: And what's.
Speaker 2: Let me get the question, is now time really flies? Let me see we have a nice big crowd tonight over sixty, Thank you all for coming. iPad says in pre war the pre war army may not have been perfect, but it was not an army of a state till after independence, an underground organization. Most of fighting Arab size or former armor is often trained by the British. Yeah, but in May already have forty eight. You have the idea as along with I have to say with irregular because it took a while to get Lachi and they are good and joint into it. But we do have I am not going to deny it. There were some incidents where there were human rights violations, there were killings, there were rapes that happens, happens in every war, and it happened in the idea of it happened in nineteen forty eight. Much more, I don't know of any cases like this where in sixty seven or the other wars they weren't really you know Ebanon. I don't know if cases like this. In nineteen forty eight. There was a lot of chaos, and unfortunately you had terrible things happen. The things that were not were supposed to be above that, but it was a difficult circumstance. There was a lot of hatred and not justifying it. And some of these people were men of volume and were selling who did these sort of things. Some of these if you read some of these people, these were founders of State of Israel. They had no Jewish values. There had no helpe. I'm not sounding like an anti Zionist, but they had no Terra values. Toror was the furthest thing. They had no Jewish values. They for the many of them human life, I mean some of them even in the underground a civil war. They could have imagined a civil war they you had in the underground. Some killed Jews who they thought were collaborators. There's no question that members of the underground not Bigan, because by the time he got involved with it, mostly things were kept were carefully and they weren't throwing bombs just into crowded markets or things like that. The King David Hotel was a military target, and as long as you assumed that military targets are valid, it's a valid target. They even called and they they they warned them to leave. They're true their work cases where they are good and killed British soldiers that they had kidnapped in response to the execution of Jews who were captured, and they warned them, if you're gonna kill these, we're going to kill yours again. Today I think we'd have a problem with that, but that's and I don't know if that's immoral in wartime as part of response. But I but my whole point is I don't think we need we don't need to defend if someone in forty eight did a terrible thing, he did a terrible thing to simpose that, but that doesn't We've never advocated this, and we don't glorify this, and we don't think this is a great thing. We don't build monuments for people who do things like this, and we don't cheer when we see this. In fact, we're embarrassed if we'd find out something like that happened. And so they all that talk about this and that it doesn't a terrible thing that this person did that person, that it doesn't destroy the it doesn't really uproot the Zionist idea. One thing is going to do with the other. And really, if Israel wanted to act, they could have killed them all. They could have uprooted them all. And so these are sort of exceptions. That's my feeling. Small You're good left. The stern Gang actually stern gang. They don't like the words stern Gang, stern group. Stern Gang is a negative. You can call them terrorists. But they were also formed because the British failed to protect Jews in their territories as they were supposed to. That's really the Hagan Nah you're good and is stern gang. They were about getting rid of the British. That was enemy number one, imperialism. And I have to say not that you're good. During World War two, they are good.
Speaker 3: Stop the war.
Speaker 2: They say, the most important thing now is not the war against the British, it's the war against the Nazis. And they believed in joining together. Lehchi refused to call off the war. Lechi sent people into be Route to meet with the Nazis. Lechi was willing to ally themselves with the Nazis to fight the British. And after the war, Lehchi became pro Soviet, not pro American, pro Soviet because they thought that Soviets would Now there were people like uh Cohen who who didn't have this perspective, but El Dodd and Yell and these were all in the Soviet camp. So I shed noh, I have none. There's no soft spot in me for Lehi. You're good is different though you're good. They they fought with dignity and honor, and I believe and that was but it was you know, the British. Surely imperilss and British were That's really what it was. It wasn't it was to force the British out. Now did it force them out? Eventually they would have left, but they probably wouldn't have left till later. Most of the colonies of the India they didn't leave till good fifteen years later. Susanna says that even when speaking about young israel I, guess it's new Rochelle. If you have antibodies, everyone was there there must wear a mask. Well, you were gonna have to wear masks because until we assume that until everyone has until everyone has had a chance to get the vaccine, we have to wear masks because we have to protect them. But for these people who are gonna say I'm not gonna wear a mask because I don't believe it. If everyone has had a chance to get it, we don't have to go around with masks because some idiot decides they don't want to get vaccinated. If that's the case, that's I don't have to then be inconvenienced my whole life, like I says. Not only the British not protect Jews, they often actually worked with Arabs the target Jews.
Speaker 3: That is true.
Speaker 2: They did not protect the Jews, and that was the in the Haganah focused on that. The the air gun and the lechi really did hitdn't protect the Jews as much as they did the reprisal attacks when Jews were attacked. And but that was the mains, the mainstream was the Huguanah. That was their job or the and then then yet the Palmach of course Paul March incidentally also had a lot of leftists and the U palm groups. But the job of the year gun and the Lachi was to drive the British imperiodalists off the land of Israel. Safer ing Aco of popular as a got into particular for the masses, yes, time's correct, and and but that those won't be arm masses. These are at least masses who can read Hebrew, who can understand it. iPad says, if you should have had lost, make no mistake, both Syria and Egypt would have gained territory, but there would not have been a new Arab Muslim state. And wore no, of course not there wasn't a conception of the Palestinian national identity. Then that would have been mh. They were living from nineteen forty eight to nice sixty seven. There was, they were. It was part of Jordan's so uh, there wouldn't They would have probably split it up. I mean Jordan would have taken a lot. Uh, yeah, there wasn't. I agree with that. Or cite some in Hebrew that we'repe Jews are above them of astrology and above the stars. But there's Kuote, there's co hosts and the tuma, et cetera. He's reading, Actually, I think you're reading directly from I think you're reading directly from I can't. I don't have it here is are you reading? I don't know what you're quoting. If you're quoting from yarkom Nesky, but he's not the Yes, yes you're reading. Yes, I think you're reading from Narco komensk Uh.
Speaker 3: No you're not.
Speaker 2: You're not dreaming.
Speaker 3: So but did you find this deeper?
Speaker 2: Charitable Dove says, can we then justify hagiographies because they perhaps necessary beliefs, at least according to those authors. That's in my book on the censorship. That's what I was accused of doing, and I believe so. I believe that for certain communities don't we do this with our children. When you tell your children's stories, do you tell them all the facts? My father always gave the example that you know in in elementary school, in high school, we tell them that the Civil War is for to free the slaves. Then now, when you get more advanced, you realize that I was much more complicated than that, that Lincoln was not an abolitionist. So yes, when we tell our children, we tell don't tell them all the facts. We don't tell them all the all the details. So in certain communities, if the if the if the leaders in those communities believe that the individuals should be kept ignorant and should be kept at the level of children. I'm sophisticated. I it doesn't bother me. These biographies do not bother me at all, because in those communities that's what they feel is necessary. So the Rambum wasn't necessary. An elitist, No, that Rambum was definitely an elitist. He's an overt elitist. He says explicitly in a Missiontara that, for instance, the philosophy, it's only people who have filled their bellies with tomwood, so it's only for the elites. So he's definitely an elitist. However, the rambum is a community leader. He's not an ivory tower person like you take these other philosophers. You have the Islamic philosophers of Arrowize Alfarabi people like that. The Rambam is a communal leader. So the Rambam has to be on two levels. He has to be for the people, but he's also writing for the elites. And as I said, he's overt. He says it explicitly that the certain things are only for the elites. And how do you write only for the elites? Because if you're writing and anyone can read it, especially since he wrote the more Lui in Arabic. So he says in the introduction of the morning, he's going to contradict himself. He's going to write like in a code. He's going to contradict himself so that only the elites will be able to see what he's saying. The masses, it will go right over their heads. They won't even notice the contradiction. So that's how the rom bomb came up with his approach.
Speaker 3: Buru says, not.
Speaker 2: Everyone can be can handle being told to abavach Rebi is Mashiah. So the Rebbe's proceeding don't always reveal it. I don't think that's the parallel Burro. I think the ones who don't reveal it, it's because there they think that they won't the people will stop donating money to them because they won't realize that their local rabbat houses is Messianic. But I have to say that I am certain that the abbot houses I know that I'm in my town and others are not. So. I know some people are cynical, but not all Aabaud believe that. Does anyone have a link er of hankin Slavaya on YouTube?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't see it. I would like to see it. Nell says, the PLO was established a few years before sixty seven. Yeah, the PLO was established. It was created by the Arab countries as a as a as a proxy to destroy. It was created to destroy Israel. There has nothing to do with the West Bank occupied territories or anything uh our factor. These were all created. These were created by the Arabs and really by the KGB. The whole, the whole, this whole Palestinian movement is created by by the Arabs and by the KGB to try to basically destroy Israel, and for the sake of historical accuracy, had the idea. It's often bandied about, however, that there's no conception of Palestinian nationalism before. That I think is incorrect, because you already see Hajomina Husseini, he was the leader of the Palestinian national movement. There was a sense, even if these people were Syrians and others. We have on record the Syrian Foreign Minister saying that we created the Palestinian people as a as a as a proper and a tool. However, there was at least the beginnings of a Palestinian national identity. I mean the Haja mean now Husseini is uh is really the founder. We're one of the founders of the whole Palestinian national movement. So it's not well, what would have happened is the Arabs where Jordan would have taken over Syria, and then they would have had to put down the Palestinian national stories. I think it's historically inaccurate to say that there was no Palestinian nationalism before, you know, before the sixties, and that it's all creation of the destroy all creation in the nineteen sixties. But and I'll just add do well, if you don't know hajjaman Osani. Of course he spent the war years in Berlin and Hitler maybe the only non German that the plan to reveal was revealed for the plan of the final solution. It was revealed, and we have a complete protocol of this. It's it's significant that Hitler chose to reveal this to hajjo Mina Hossein, who was not an Aryan. But as they say, he had the same goals as the arguing, you know, uh killed the Jews and destroy the democracies. So that's an important point. David Dowen the one with this, David Dollen, professor in in Florida. He wrote a book. It's actually it's the two things. It's a defense of Pope Pious. He thinks that and David Dallin's a deserved rabbi as well, that Pope Pious was given a bad rap and there's all this attacks on Pope Pious for what he didn't do during the Holocaust. His argument is he did more than people think, and that it wasn't that he's evil, maybe he's incompetent, but he says all these attacks against Pope Pius, we forget the true villain, the real villain, and that is no other than Hajjo Mina Hosseini, who really was an ally of the Nazis. When you think about it, the founding father of the Palestinian National Movement was an ally with the allied with the Nazis. And okay, we will end uh with this ipats Is hit We're awarded honorary Orion stars and some Japanese who's saying yes. You can see a video of hajo min Hosseini visiting. They brought in there were you had Bosnian. The officers were Serbian, but Bosnian. They raised a poncer division of Bosnian SS troops, so you had Bosnians.
Speaker 3: The Muslims.
Speaker 2: They ever bring him in from all over the Muslim world to fight on the side of Hitler. This is sort of like the Unknown Story.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the electure on zoom, please visit torenmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your paper, podcast that, or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen. The thing then tacked their name