Speaker 1: Welcome to teen Girl Talk.
Speaker 2: Teen Girl Talk.
Speaker 1: I'm Susie Coda, I'm Frankling Coda, and this week we are School Spirits, a.
Speaker 2: Show that is just just very good.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed it. Every man is a creep in the show.
Speaker 2: What excuse me, Wally Clark? Who is that the nice jock? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well no, okay, every living man is a creep in the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The dead have had time to figure.
Speaker 1: Things out, to get their story straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be less less terrible that they're actually going to therapy.
Speaker 1: Basically they're in group all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing else to.
Speaker 1: Do but be in group, which yeah, seems pretty waring. Like so when they talk about field day, I was like, well, that's a good use of extracurricular time for sure. So Frank, do you want to give us the the lay of the land, the overview?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure? So. Uh see, our star is Peyton Litist. She's playing Maddie. Maddie has woken up dead in her high school, which is a nightmare that I cannot even imagine.
Speaker 1: And she's crazy part someone calls her Maggie at the like what do they call those assembly where they announced that she's gone missing. There are like twelve kids in this school. Do not try to tell me that you do not know this woman's name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everybody is just being a real asshole now, Maggie, Oh my god, they've infected me.
Speaker 1: Wow Wow, frank and popular kids syndrome. That's the other part. I thought that she was going to be like a Daria level missanthrope outcast. She's not the guy she's dating, who is written like a mega creep. So I do not know how he is dating two women spoiler alert, it seems pretty popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: She's no Sarah Burgess or Sierra Burgess whatever. That's a compliment, I mean complimentary. If I was to say she's a real Sarah Sierra Burgess, it would be derogatory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we all know Cier Burgess is a loser.
Speaker 1: We watched I'm a generally terrible person, a morally corrupt person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we're not here to talk about her. I think we watched Cobra Kai. I'm not sure if we made any mention that Peyton List was in there, but like, she is very talented. Yes, she was in a movie called Boogie Woman. Eileen Werne's American boogie Woman.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the movie Monster was about her. But here's the thing, like, look, I'm not trying to justify serial killing. She was this did sex work and the dudes she killed were like bad dudes. And then but she was like listed as I don't know all of the details, but I was like, how is Ted Bundy exalted? And I don't know. I just read Bright Young Women and it talks a lot about how Ted Bunny was painted as like a charming mastermind by the media but he actually was like a dropout dunce and it's infuriating to me, which is like interesting to watch this show at the same time as reading that book. It's like how people are framed is always so fascinating to me, Like we get to see closer how there are like a core group of people who really care about Maddie, but the way the school treats it, and I don't do we want to just blame the principle for how poorly this is handled. I mean, yeah, Frank's gonna name the episode after him.
Speaker 2: I don't remember anything about him. I just remember he sucked as a principal.
Speaker 1: He was like, it's so sad that Maddie's missing, Let's bring in the cheer squad.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's literally what happens. That's not even like you.
Speaker 1: It's like Bottom's level sort of satirical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you like I've seen this a few TikTok stars. I've seen at least one TikTok star do this. I'm sure there's more. This guy faked his own deaf to then appear at his own funeral and just to see how many people showed up.
Speaker 1: I read a fictional book that that was the premise, and then he was like social experiment. But again, it was a fictional book, and I'm not going to say the title because like that's the big reveal. But I guess is it trick Thatlla's Is it trendy to fake your own death?
Speaker 2: I know that if somebody I loved put me through that, I would not be somebody who I love. They would not be somebody I loved anymore.
Speaker 1: I would stop loving myself. Yea, even my loved ones transgression, I would decide.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, way to go, Frank, You're so stupid.
Speaker 1: That they took me have passed, They've taken the trip to the other side. Oh how could you believe it? There's a funeral, But why why didn't you overturn the casket?
Speaker 2: Why did I look more into this? Why didn't I hire a PI?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the thing. So, oh gosh, I want to talk about this book so much, but I really don't want to spoil it, Okay, so let's talk about the show instead. So Maddie, he's trying to listen to the assembly about being her being missing, and there's a dude there that keeps being like, I can't hear you. It always goes this way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's our like, he's our guidepost, our guiding angel for lack of a better term. And he is honestly an angel. He's just really nice and kind. M hm. I forget what his name is though, I need to pull up the cast.
Speaker 1: And so Maddie is completely frustrated that somebody is talking to her during her well, not really remembrance because people don't realize what's happened yet they they figure it out pretty soon. This is not a Gone Girl situation. And I will say the cops do seem pretty cash about this whole thing. We learn early on that Maddie does have trouble at home. Her mother struggles uh with alcohol abuse, and Mattie's doing her best to sort of both cover for her mom and take care of her mother, but her mother does not make it that easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah there, Okay. There is actually another movie where Peyton List plays a ghost called Girl Haunts Boy. But she is a ghost. She's a ghost from the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so good. There's like a Hallmark movie about that where there's a ghost living in this airbnb and he only appears like once a year around Christmas, and he falls in love with the owner of the airbnb. But like he has a wife and baby who also passed away with him, which is like not romantic to be Like, ugh, I'm like so over my baby wife and my baby wife, my ghost wife and ghost baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So there is our guiding angel is named Charlie. He is keeping one of Maddie's secrets. He mentions like, oh, he died in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Due to a fatal peanut allergy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which are no joke. Like, there's a lot of am I the asshole stores where people just seem intent on killing peanut allergy.
Speaker 1: People, which is not fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I have a friend of seafood allergy, and I make jokes about him. I would never actually be like, oh, we want to toast this and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Like No.
Speaker 2: And then we have other ghosts. We have Wally, who is just a fun jock. Wally is just fun like I don't know if he's going to get more depth, but he's just like a fun guy.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: And then there's Ronda, who is our beat neck who was unfortunately killed by her guidance counselor. And then there's mister Martin, who is the He's our gut, he's like our therapist of the he's the one running the group sessions. M hm h. Finally, we is Janet, the woman sitting on top of the lockers.
Speaker 1: I thought her name is Janice, but yes, okay, then I thought mister Martin for sure was somehow related to Jason Schwartzman. I mean, he does seems so much. I don't believe he is. I did some IMDb uh like slew thing and I don't believe he is, but doesn't he seem like he should.
Speaker 2: Be a little bit. And then there's other ghosts like this is like this is giving me, This gives me small town syndrome, like small town Detective, Like.
Speaker 1: We're gonna say small Ville and I was like, Frank, Lex Luthor is not here. He's not in the room with us right now.
Speaker 2: Still one of the best episodes, just like Unlimited anyway.
Speaker 1: Wait, is Lex Lithor in Smallville? Yes, he's played by the guy from Sorority Boys, right, I think so? Oh Dal confirmed that Dale was a small vill watcher. Nobody remembers the movie Sorority Boys. Besides, did we watch it for the podcast.
Speaker 2: Let Me Chick the List? He so? He also in Justice Justice League and justin Unlimited, he voiced the Flash and there's an episode where him and the Flesh switch bodies and he is just like he goes to the bathroom and he's just like, you're having a bad day. Lex. Well, at list, I'll be able to find out who the Flash is. And it tastes off Flash's mask and he looks at something in the mirrors like I have no idea who this is.
Speaker 1: Oh, I forgot to respond when you said me, I did laugh when you send me that thing about Daredevil's uh law fer.
Speaker 2: I sent there's a there's like since the panel of where Daredevil's just beating the ship out of the Punisher because Daredevil hates the Punisher. Just you're nothing. You're nothing, Frank, And I'm like, hey, I defend your stupid law firm. This is how you treat me.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll like, you just make anybody who could have possibly make money, but you can't do all promoto work and say business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the reason Flash and Lex Luthor switched bodies is so that that voice actor could be Lex Luthor again.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: The Lex Luthor from the DC anime universe is the wonderful Lancy Brown, who I'm on a subrittit from Redemption.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh he just passed away, didn't he No, he's still alive. Oh oh sorry Clancy Brown. I don't know why I keep doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's only sixty five.
Speaker 1: I thought Tim Curry passed away and it was like that's not true. I was like I thought that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel the same way about Bob Dylan, keeping like is he dead? Like no, I'm still But I'm on the subreddit where people be like, hey, I can't remember what this movie is, and they were talking about this movie that Clancy Brown was in, like it's this movie Clancy Brown's in it, and then the entire rest of the thread just people talking about let's they love Clancy Brown.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so funny. I only know him from Redemption.
Speaker 2: He's mister Crabs.
Speaker 1: What Yeah, Clancy Brown is mister Crabs.
Speaker 2: He's a very compassed voice. I have to like Mark Hamill.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing. So I was trying to find the origin of Handsome squid Word this weekend and came across a video of a woman dressing dressing up like Handsome squid Word to dance for her husband. It's it's a very haunted video.
Speaker 2: I mean, good for Clemcy Brown getting that SpongeBob money. So yeah, at this point he probably like I have I can just do whatever I want, like I got, I got that good paycheck coming in.
Speaker 1: Do you think he wants to be in the SpongeBob musical.
Speaker 2: No, I I'm sure he's like too old for this, too old for this shit. Okay. So, as you can tell, Susie and I are diverging a lot, and that's because this is this happens with good movies. Where are good movies and shows where Susie and I are just like our brains start firing off the synapses. Bad movies were like, you must be a witness, you must know what we've seen. So we're gonna start talking about spoilers if you want, if you want to review, go watch the show. We both really like it. Then come back. Yeah, come back after you hit those three episodes and you'll get the more in death. But it's a good show. Here come the spoilers. So Maddie spends our first episodes, but when Maddie just figuring out how everything works, and I think this show does a really good job on giving like a good set of rules for Mattie's ghost form, so like ghosts can touch things. But okay, so it's like she doesn't have a presence in the real world, but she can kind of bear witness to it. They keep talking about the metaphysical world where she can touch things and move things, but it will eventually reset back to where it is in the real world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when she tries to tear down a missing poster of herself that someone like wrote something unkind.
Speaker 2: On, Yeah, which actually adds to the horror of this where it's just like the only things you can eat are whatever the lunch ladies are making now. To be fair, I do like school lunch spaghetti. I remember it has a distinctly terrible sauce that for some reason, my taste boats. It's like, hell yeah, when I went to the hospital, I ordered the spaghetti just because I knew it would be that terrible sauce.
Speaker 1: What about square pizza.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's that's the other things, like I do not want to eat square pizza and French fries. So there's somebody eternity, so she can't communicate with the living. That doesn't seem to be any possession just yet. And when she there's also a sequence where she tries to leave the school and she keeps ending up in the book, like near the boiler room. She does a little slide and Janet's like, oh good, you stop before you're six and the six is where it starts hurting. Oh. And there's also a group of marching band ghosts who are just constantly going into circle. I feel bad for.
Speaker 1: Those because they perished in a bus crash on the way to competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's actually a there's there's that CBS show Ghost which plays around with us a lot, where this woman died in her car, but the car was able to be recovered, so now she just goes where the car goes and the's and I've mentioned before there's an interesting episode of Supernatural where, uh okay, I know it's a goofy show, but sometimes it's like it's kind of like the X Files. Sometimes you got like really good creepy episodes, and you got like that one with the Twins or that one with a vampire where Molder was just like this guy like buck teeth.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that was so good. That episode that ends with Scully out a date and then Boulder calls her and he's holding a hand drawn picture of a lady Sasquash and then the episode just ends.
Speaker 2: I mean, there is like one episode that the vampire episode I'm talking about where Molder and Skull are talking to Skinner, their boss, and like they're giving differing tales of the same thing, and like the sheriff is all ugly and not ugly he has like big goofy teeth, and Scully's episode he did not have those teeth. Yeah, he's and the guy like doctor aged doctor there's Scully. It's just like and I was like, how do you know you were a doctor, Like Scully's just rooting around in this guy's stomach and she's like, uh, pizza, anchovies, Pepperoni, I want some pizza, And like she wants to complain that she just put the magic fingers on, and Bolder wants to go do things anyway, I forgot. Okay, the episode of Supernatural is gonna talk about.
Speaker 1: Okay is better than Supernatural. I said it. I said it with my entire chest. Don't at me.
Speaker 2: See you're not wrong. So the this ghost is terrorizing this woman and they can't figure out why. They're like, he was cremated, why is she he this ghost still coming at her? Like once you burn all the remains, the ghost disappears. And then they realize like apparently when he died, she needed a liver transplant and his liver worked like it was a match for her, so she still has his liver and they're like the to them is kind of like, I don't know how to fix this. I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 1: I haunted forever they do.
Speaker 2: Their solution is like most of their solutions horrific.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Oh my god, did they take the liver back?
Speaker 2: No? I think they end up dragging the ghost behind the car.
Speaker 1: That's terrible. Yeah, anyway, Frank, let's boycott Supernatural. I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Okay, done watched I watched it. It's where it should have ended, which is season five where Sam and the Devil jump into Hell. No, uh oh god, where's that going? Okay, I'm here, I'm there, School Spirits, we're back. So Maddie is a kind of punk, kind of fun person. She doesn't remember how she how she died. She just remembers she was with her boyfriend Xavier. And then he's just like, one day I'll have a school form Mutants and.
Speaker 1: The entire show I've been like, I don't trust this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he has her well for us, we can't tell if he's just a regular jerk or an evil jerk because he has her phone, which her friend Simon, who just seems like he's, you know, a writer die. He is just pushing Xavier and pushing Exaviers like you know something, you know something, And all of a sudden, Maddie's very distinct phone falls out of Xager's backpack and Simon's like, uh, you just kind of prove my point by having her phone. You weirdot.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing, there's also a creepo teacher with terrible boundaries. Yeah, so then you're like, well, I think it's Simon, but I also think it's creepo teacher.
Speaker 2: It's almost as if, you know, young girls just have terrible men on all sides when they're growing up.
Speaker 1: I mean, as the show goes on, I just feel so bad for teens. In Maddie's situation, where Mattie's like, it can't be mister so and so, he's just so great. He helped me out of a bind. Do you know what he should have done? Helped her out of that living situation, not helped her cover it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sometimes sometimes the right thing is not the easy.
Speaker 1: Thing, you know, Yes, And instead he's like, should we try to solve this a little bit? And Mattie's like, no, listen to me, the person that has been like living in this dismal situation forever, thinking I have no help, And he's like, okay, yeah, that sounds good. I'll help you cover up a cron Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'll commit insurance fraud or I don't know what you call it, like accident fraud.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I mean it would be insurance fraud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also continue leaving you in a dangerous situation. So the first episode is the first day people are looking for Maddie, or maybe it's the second day. I don't know, but it's just like, you know, the horror of being stuck at your high school forever. Yes, Charlie talks about people who have been able to move on. They keep mentioning somebody who has left, but they don't really talk about it. Maddie is encouraged to join group by mister Martin, and that's where we meet Rhoda and Wally, and there's a few others, but they haven't really become distinct yet. And Maddie doesn't want to be part of the group. She just wanted to get comfortable because she thinks that like she can get out of here somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She's like, well, you guys are sitting around like bumps on the log I'm going to get things done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's least to her five attempts to leave. In the basement, she discovers some blood, like blood like you know, it was sprayed, like somebody was cut or whatever.
Speaker 1: It looks like a crime scene.
Speaker 2: There's splattered, Yeah, there's also a weird janitor hanging around.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think he's that weird. I think he probably has just worked at the school for a while and is like over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, I've cleaned off a lot of kids. Yeah, but this is right.
Speaker 1: I'm boycounting you now. I don't like that either. This is as bad as when you said bone Daddy. Okay, so I'm gonna like you're an episode of Supernatural.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what'sis is referring to it happened off Mike, Yeah, recording on Halloween, And uh, I was while I was waiting for trigger treaders. I was watching for the first time ever, and I mean before Christmas. And she was like, okay, I get it. I get what. Golf's are obsessed with this, and they, you know, much like most people watch that show Jack Skeleton can get it. And I was just like, bow Daddy, yes please. And since he's like I hate this.
Speaker 1: I do hate this, I continue to hate it.
Speaker 2: They do refer to him as bone Daddy.
Speaker 1: Who is they.
Speaker 2: The townspeople of Halloween Town. When he's singing of his beautiful Danny Elfman voice, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, does Danny Elfman.
Speaker 2: Voice the Okay, he has a normal speaking voice, but the singing voice is Danny Elfman.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: If you've listened to the uh the on Bono album, I think it's either Onengo or Boringo. It's just like one half of their name. It has a scary looking yeah as a scary looking clon on the front, and also one of the greatest songs I ever written, insanity.
Speaker 1: Nothing to do with Nightmare Before Christmas?
Speaker 2: Well no it does.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They mentioned the term tender lumplings and that is a song on Borino.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so okay, anyway, full circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Maddie is just like God, I wish you could watch I wish I could watch Night Before Christmas. She doesn't say that. Charlie keeps trying to get her, trying to help her move on. They don't really know. The ghosts are unsure why they're still there, because, like you know, usually you're left behind because you have some kind of unfinished business. But that doesn't seem to be a thing.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Simon is determined to figure this out. Uh. Nicole just kind of seems to be in mourning. She doesn't really jump on the like solve team Bandwagon just.
Speaker 1: Yet she's a little less Nancy Drew than Simon is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Simon's like going got like gung ho on this. He's like he's attacking Xavier. He's wandering around the school trying to figure things out.
Speaker 1: But the moment where he sees Maddie is so poignant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought.
Speaker 1: That they both did such a good job acting it.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so there's this great there's this moment. You can hear the fireworks. No, okay, yes, happy. Sorry, I'm not gonna tell her that my neighbors are setting off fireworks. So it's very loud on my ends, but it's also very beautiful. I love when the neighborhood is decorated Ford Wally. In one of the classes, one of the teachers has left a chair open with a Maddie's chair open, you know, to give her a place to come back to, and Simon uh just gets very angry and he's like it doesn't matter, like she's gone, who cares, And like he's like you don't care, Like they call her Maggie during the assembly. Then they brought the cheer squad of cheers squad on and I'm just like teachers this is These are good notes. These are good notes. Maybe next time, don't bring the cheer squad squad on, No, don't bring the cheer squad on, but definitely bring on the cheer squid.
Speaker 1: Oh that would be great. That would be amazing for morale.
Speaker 2: Just I'm just imagining a squid underwater just waving its legs around with pom pom like tied to the end of the.
Speaker 1: I mean, wouldn't you feel induced to win a basketball game that way?
Speaker 2: We gotta do it for Jeremy the squid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're so smart. He would know if you were trying your hardestaurant.
Speaker 2: It's like, waity, what's that floating on the top of Jeremy's tank. Oh my god, it's a winning play. You did it again, Jeremy.
Speaker 1: And then if he had a foam finger, but for each tentacle.
Speaker 2: Eight foam fingers, Hell, yeah, I'm into that. Okay, that's okay. Now four foam fingers and then four pomp poms.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, and it's there one then the other, one than the other.
Speaker 2: Okay. But then the opposing teams they all get their own cephalopods, so like that, they're like, oh, there's our rivals. Oh dang, they have all over the octopus. How are we gonna defeat that? And then they just start getting like a giant squid and they're like, how do we keep this thing alive? They've never been captured alive. I'm gonna eat an old timey ship.
Speaker 1: Wait, who's eating the old timey ship? The squid?
Speaker 2: The giant squid. That's okay, that's their escalation when Jeremy can't. If Jeremy can't hold up against Ali the octopus, they're bringing in the giant squid.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Okay? I thought that Jeremy was the giant quid.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe someday. And then like, meanwhile, the writers of the greatest Wikipedia article Cephalopod Intelligence are just writing this down, trying to get it all down to say, like, who's better squids are octopod?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the ultimate battle, who would win?
Speaker 2: And then Leon the Lobster comes in. He's just there to be cool. He's wearing a tiny leather jacket.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that would be amazing. I saw a woman dressed up as a lobster Saturday in the city. He was great.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put Leon the Lobster's YouTube channel in the show notes, it's just a great YouTube channel. This man bought a store lobster and brought it home and he's just like, I want to see if I can keep this thing alive. And he has Leon is thriving, amazing, and the man in general just seems to be just a really cool dude. He runs a cat rescue and he has like a dozen cats and a bunch of other animals and they all just seem very happy. It's just a very calmly nice YouTube channel. Good back to school spirits. So Simon's angry and later he this school is apparently open until the dead of night because the kids just easily able to get in. Yeah, there is no security that the teacher. He sees the teacher again and like he apologizes for what he said before, and the teacher's just like and I get it, and like she's like and despite what you might think I was being sincere, it's actually a really great moment, like kind of shows you.
Speaker 1: I think this is such a great juxtaposition. I'm so sorry I talked to over you please finish your thought and then I will, Oh.
Speaker 2: No, I was. I'm just gonna say, like, this is just showed like, I'm so sick of show. They're like bad teachers all the time, Like, no, there are a lot of good teachers.
Speaker 1: Yes, So we have a bad teacher in this show who is giving his cell phone numbers to students, saying call me anytime you need me covering up crimes. And then we have a teacher who behaves entirely appropriately. A student starts crying because his friend is missing and he is upset and scared. She side hugs him. He's sitting, she's standing, so it's a side hug. There is no body to body like front body contact. She stays in appropriate amount of time and then says, take all the time you need in the classroom. I'm gonna go join the search. None of it is untoured, all of it is above board. And I was like, yes, this is an accurate portrayal of.
Speaker 3: A good teacher.
Speaker 1: Versus creep omic English creeperson who's like, I'm your bff. No, Maddie, I'm a middle aged man. I hate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, middle aged bench should not be friends with teenagers.
Speaker 1: It's weird. He can be supportive, he can be a type of like mentor, but that is not the relationship and like, I am glad the show is not playing this like a pretty little liars and being like, look how a novel it is. They're using it to say, look how suspicious this man is. And like the first thing I'm says, it's like, why did this man give you his phone number? And Matt He's like, it's not like that, and someone's like, okay, and I think that's great because Simon is reacting like a normal personhood.
Speaker 2: It's not like that. It really feels like that, Maddie Okay. So but this is the moment Simon goes to the window and he's watching the search party leave, and Maddie's standing there too, also watching, and she looks over him and says Simon, and then he just slowly turns towards.
Speaker 4: Her, and it was dispenseful, Yeah, because we you know from what we heard that you can't communicate with them at all.
Speaker 2: And Charlie sees this, He's like, holy shit. Yes, And that's the end of the first episode. And so in the second episode they start working out how it works. And wait is in the first episode where Charlie meets Maddie in the.
Speaker 1: Shower, Yes, and he's like, before you start telling me that I'm problematic, and Maddie's too busy having a flashback when her and Exavier Xavier, right, Yeah, we're making on the boys locker room, and then a teacher came in and so Xavier ran into the shower and pretended to be showering. And we're gonna get a couple Xavier flashbacks, none of which were endearing to me, Like the flashback and the autobody shop sucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So also, I guess what Xavier is the son of the sheriff.
Speaker 1: Of course he is, because it's a small town with ten people, so of course he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the sheriff is like, we're gonna take care of the sun. We're gonna yo, set you on the right path.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's nepotism.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's a nice word for it. Let's call it what it is. Corruption. Yeah, He's like, we got to keep you out of the public eye until I've cleaned up your mess. Thanks dad, I mean would uh, I cannot remember the name of is it Statler, Mursa, Hargate and Chris.
Speaker 5: And who are the CSI people's names?
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you mean lean or Svu?
Speaker 1: Yes? Stabler and.
Speaker 2: Benson Olivia Benson. Yeah, give me a second. I'm mostly just remembering that from from What's it? From Tilloswip's Cats.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I have only watched eight thousand episodes of Law and Order while Dell was in the hospital, and I'm struggling, and I think Styler is the name of one of the muppet puppets, like the critics who are in the in the mezzanine, who are mean Wald Styler. Yes, yeah, this is the past. I'm so sorry I interrupted with this. Please continue.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, what Xavier is trying to cover up is that he's cheating on on excuse me, he's cheating on Maddie with this girl whose name I camera Claire.
Speaker 1: Yes, Claire. Z's the thing. Both Claire and Maddie seem like amazing, successful, self possessed women. What they are doing with Xavier. I mean, I guess that he is the high school mistake that they're making, you know, But jeez, Louise, I do not know what they see in him. He's I just think he's such a creep. There's a point. Okay, for the next thirty seconds, I am going to talk about the death of an animal that happens in the show. It happens off screen. We don't see it, but Exavior smooshes a rat under a tarp, and I have to give it to this actor because my blood ran cold when the show had a lingering shot on his smiling face. Cut back to Maddie looking horrified, cut back.
Speaker 5: To Exavior looking delighted, and I was like, oh, and the fact that Maddie was still like, oh my god, love you. I would be like, no for breaking up. You are a roading killer. You're the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I don't if your option is to kill the rat or just make it run away, that's what I'm like, the second choice.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a garage. Of course, they're at a school. There's gonna be critters. Yeah, and the critters weren't bothering anyone. Stop making out in its home. Yeah, don't make out in the woods shore. There are no critters there.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's plenty of critters, but they know enough to stay away from these nerves.
Speaker 1: Stay away from Xavier, murderous Xavier.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the episode after him, I don't like him.
Speaker 2: No, I'm trying to think about it. You him like don't.
Speaker 1: Don't say that. I don't. I don't, I don't love. If you love him, you have more than I do.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I like whatever I'm going to name the episode, I haven't thought it yet, but it's gonna be squid based after we've come up.
Speaker 1: With that, or if we're going wait, do people still call things based? Can we call it based squid?
Speaker 2: I mean we can now School Spirits episodes one through three based squid.
Speaker 1: So look at me used and slang, I tiredly don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what?
Speaker 1: Oh, Frank, did you hang up because I asked if the Squid's in Alpha?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just there's a lot of fireworks going on. Frank was like click, No, Yeah, there's just so many fireworks happening in saw My I.
Speaker 1: Really can't hear them, which says something for your recording setup. So well, Frank is being quiet because of fireworks. I'm just gonna say the Squid is an Alpha. So we get to learn a little bit about the different characters in the Ghost support group and Wally, Frank's fave. He died during a football game. I think there was like a pile on and he I think we are supposed to insinuate that his next left pretty upsetting. And then Ronda, who calls Maddie cherry Pop and seems pretty disdainful of her. Her guidance counselor was very supportive of her until she got into a school out of state and he thought they were going to be together, which is creepy and gross, and he took her life. And then we already discussed the net allergy, and we have not found out how mister Martin like past. I don't believe. No, he hasn't mentioned right, no, and we don't know what time he's dressed, sort of like without a particular time period.
Speaker 2: I believe Simon and Maddie realize that they can communicate where people have died in the school. They mentioned that. Mister Anderson said, like this school has scars, and they that's what they kind of start calling this, like they can communicate in the scars area.
Speaker 1: And how much did you like the title naming mechanic?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so good. The first the first episode's title is my so called death.
Speaker 1: Amazing my couple of preferends. I always love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just like, yeah, keep reminding people that show existed so that people will keep watching it. Maybe we'll get a maybe we'll finally get a third season with Claire Danes, Now The Fault in Our Scars, Dead and Confused, Friday Night Frights, The Twilight, End Zone, Brave, The Last Dance, Seunce Anything, Madison's Body.
Speaker 1: That's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Madison's Body makes me believe that we haven't watched the episode yet, but that in that episode they find her.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah. So there is portions where Simon is trying to figure out if Maddie is can see him, like in the gym, locker room and in the bathroom. She's like, can you see me in the bathroom? She's like, I didn't, I didn't see anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't I didn't stay And he's like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it What I like about this show is it balance. It has such a good balance to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're talking about death and yes, like you know, stuff with Rhonda hits very hard because it's it sucks. It's a man killing this young woman in the prime for life, but it's it doesn't do the Marvel thing where like big things aren't allowed to hit and there's like oh, we're gonna start quipping again. But it's also not a complete dour fest, like it's funny while being.
Speaker 1: You know, I really did. I agree. I appreciated that, Like the Marvel equipping drives me nuts. I am glad that people like it and enjoy it and get something from it, but like I feel so taxed by the end of like equip Fest, and.
Speaker 3: Because it's sort of interspersed with these incredibly heavy situations, I'm like, guys, we can just stay there, right, And it's a hard balance because comic books tend to deal in these like very heavy storylines and that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Make for like a fun film, right to have to think about like re rental death and I can't even remember so like in the that the Black Widow movies, which one was Florence Pewan.
Speaker 2: Uh the Black Widow movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like she has been trafficked and like all of this terrible stuff. To sort of deal with subjects like that that have like a require and sort of ask for a particular gramatas but then have everyone like quit paying like take Russian access. It's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean that's also why you bring in Florence Pugh that's the scene where she's saying to Rachel wise, like you or my mother. I don't know any other mother, but you like that scene does make me sad, but you know it does also remind me like of one and you just have a good, solid creative team, because there's this one series of panels where Clark finally reveals that he's Superman to Perry White, and it starts with like them, like you don't really notice that many changes in the panels, and then like you just see Superman doing his usual undressing post where he has his shirt open and you just see the big s and then the next panel is Perry hugging him.
Speaker 1: Oh you know.
Speaker 2: And that's the stuff you can do with comics, and you should be able to do that in the movies because like, hey, Marvel, if you let people just take a briefer and still of an emotion, that's a less million dollars yet to spend having Iron Man to fight the blizzard or whatever. So anyway, but this and like I like that this show doesn't make it easy for the ghosts, like you know, this can go everywhere, but like they can't just talk to people because like ghosts are kind of a game breaker when you think about it, Like they can be in any room, they can be anywhere, they can pass through anything. For the most part, so uh sorry if you hear me turn because this fire wars going off so hard. Though, there is a funny part where mister Anderson is on his bullshit at the end of the third episode and like Simon has been investigating his room and this is after like, you know, Manny reveals that like the thing that he helped her with was hiding the fact that her mom was driving drunk, and like he's yelling at somebody on the phone, and Maddie and Simon are hiding in the closet and Simon's just like, wait, why are you hiding in the closet, And Matty's like that's a good point, and it just cut to her outside like standing in the classroom with him. Yeah, that is how it should work. And then that's when they just got cover a pile of cash and.
Speaker 1: That mister Anderson is like ranting about having given Maddie money. We haven't seen that. Maddie doesn't remember it, so like we don't know if that's true who he's ranting to. Again, he's a creepo. So we don't really care that he's been inconvenienced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's it's a lot so and like you know, Simon says her, I think this is why you were killed. Meanwhile, well, Nicole has been kind of the back burner. On episode two, Xavier went to Mattie's house and talked to his talk to her mom, which was a little off putting. And you know what I will give I will give them credit that he's just like his mom says. Mattie's mom says, did you hurt my daughter?
Speaker 1: And he's like, not physically, and she says it again. She says, did you hurt my daughter? And he's like yes emotionally. I did you know.
Speaker 2: The two of them are teaming, and Mattie's mom seems to be kind of focusing more and like she wants to know what happened to her kid.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say this is i'd say wishful thinking show alcoholism, where all of a sudden, when the pressure is at a breaking point, everything is incredibly stressful, all of a sudden, this woman has gotten her act together. I would say, statistically, physiologically, this would be very unlikely because in the scene we see where Maddie is covering up that her mom was driving drunk. Her mom is passed out, she got into a car accident and she's out called in the back of the car, which means that she was either very intoxicated and or got injured in the car accident, which like not for nothing. Yeah, you want to help her, but is she concussed she crashed into a tree. Yeah, so like for the show to be like, well she has moments of clarity, does she? Though, Like, I don't know. This is for a show that's about a fantastical ghost solving her own murder. This to me as a person in recovery was kind of like one of the most unbelievable parts of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so my head, you believe bought up?
Speaker 1: I think, Frank, how can you not concentrate with NonStop fireworks going off? It's really really unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So that's and season two is just more of mister Anderson being a creep. Simon he catches not season two yeah, episode two, so Simon, he catches Simon in the school late at night. He's just like, you should probably leave. I have pieces of Mattie's cell phone for some reason.
Speaker 1: This is the craziest part. So we're back in the auto shop. I don't know why Simon was there. He finds a shard of Mattie's phone. Whoever destroyed Mattie's phone did it as mestally as possible. It spread everywhere. So then they go back again to check out the auto shop to see if they can find more phone bits and mister Anderson's leg what's going on And at this point Simon so trusts him and he says, you know, we found this, what do you think And mister Anderson is like, oh, I will give it to the authorities. Simon, after hearing that Maddie and mister Anderson were sort of like tied up in this like not very above board friendship, searches through mister Anderson's car, which looks like mister Anderson may be living in it, and goes into his gloff compartment and finds the shard of the phone. It was like cee, Maddie, C I told you. And they find a second shart of the phone in the auto body shop and so then he confronts mister Anderson and mister Anderson is like enough, like but da da da da like a lot of bluster, But we as the viewers, like, this man's guilty. This man is so guilty, like Xavier is guilty. This guy is guilty. We know that clare Z is not guilty because one of the swimmers get to concussion underwater and she saved her life, so we're like, oh, okay, she's good. But again, she didn't really do anything wrong, Like, yes, you should not date someone who has a boyfriend, but who knows what bullshit Xavier was giving her because she seems like a very capable person. So I guarantee Xavier is like, oh, I'm not actually dating Maddie. It's like she's my cousin or something. I don't know. Like, so Exavier has proven that he cannot be trusted Clairecy we don't know yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, we also do see her save a life.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I was talking about the concuss swimmer. Yeah, it's like I completely zoned out during that and did not realize you mentioned it. So many fireworks, let's I think it's a good place to wrap up this episode.
Speaker 2: So I have a so because both this and Goosebumps are coming back in twenty twenty five. My proposal is what do January?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: It kind of wrap up on both of these and we'll continue with Spooky season and check out some new stuff. Speaking of which, for next week, we're gonna do Babysitter Killer.
Speaker 1: Queen's the original babysitter movie. You have to really dig into the archives to find it, but it's there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and mostly because this one has both sam are Weaving, who we love, and Jenner or Tega in it, who we also love, and we will tolerate Elle Thori and while mentioning how much she sucks.
Speaker 1: In it, I mean, sometimes you have to have medicine. No, I guess that's not a good analogy. I was gonna say with your sugar, but that's any sense.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when you have to, when you have to eat something better, it's good to have, like, I don't know, two spoonfuls of sugar.
Speaker 1: Su gross. So if you want to write us and I don't know, defend mister Anderson or have some other hot takee you can write us at Realteaengirls talk at gmail dot com. We have an Instagram page that Frank has been updating, and if you'd like to review the show and help other people find it. That would be super awesome and we would appreciate it, and we'll read the review on the show five stars. Please wherever you know your podcasts are found, and until next week, I am Susie Cooda
Speaker 2: My parent CODA team