Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust, and we have got the boy this. I can't believe it's here already, first day of school and now we're talking the Freefair, Washington County Freefair, and we have in here with this mister Vice president Kevin White, and also chair women Rebecca Moses. How are we doing, kids, We're doing great. This is gonna be awesome. This fair just keeps popping with new things and new ideas each and every year. And I like the way that you find new directions in order to engage to the youth and also their parents too. What's this barn and banter I'm hearing about these days?
Speaker 2: It is brand new. It's it's called Barn Banter, and it's a chance for young ones adults whoever, to come and share share their knowledge or their demonstration or anything that they have interest in with fair goers. So there's time slots available to sign up. Whether you want to show us how to weave a basket or tell us how to milk a cow, or the possibilities are endless. So you can find that sign up on our Facebook page.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you kids to creative. I raised seven of them, and you will be surprised by some of the things you get. So moms and dads and everybody show up. Yes, you were about to learn them.
Speaker 3: You're about to moms or dads if you have some knowledge. Yeah, you got twenty minutes too.
Speaker 1: You can do it to your piece. Yes, wow, Oh well what kind of things we got going on there? keV Why do we not have going on? That's the short list.
Speaker 3: That's the short list. If you want to eat a moon pie, you know.
Speaker 1: Eat some good food.
Speaker 3: Listen to someone talk about brush tail possums for twenty minutes. We got you covered. Well you're right now. Now we do cover the game. You can eat some ice cream, you can.
Speaker 2: There's two optnuts to eat ice cream. This year, Friday night is going to be our free root beer float event with Farm Bureau. They're having a meet and greet, so it's free rootbeer floats. And then Saturday night during the concert, the free concert, we're gonna have an ice cream Sunday bar. So it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 1: Well, you're talking about my favorite food groups here right then? You know we've got to cover and throwing the moon by and I'm a good guy over the moon. It can be a very carb friendly fair well, Kevin, isn't it carb neutral when you walk around and off? You got what I thought? Yeah? Yeah, so but this is going to be great now the moonpie eating contest. What night is that?
Speaker 3: That is Friday night at five.
Speaker 1: O'clock, five o'clock.
Speaker 2: It's first fifteen people to show up five dollars to enter. Winter takes allow.
Speaker 1: I can't remember.
Speaker 2: It's it's assorted flavors or do we have I think we have vanilla and chocolate.
Speaker 1: Oh, well you there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so it is the first person to eat twenty moon pies are the most moon pies eaten in fifteen minutes. So we're putting a time limit.
Speaker 1: That's really good because the time that we didn't do.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, we were there for a while, was.
Speaker 1: A little longer than I had put them on my camera. But this is going to be a lot of fun now. The little guys and galls, I hear we've got a little tracker pull for them.
Speaker 2: We do, we do, but they have very pedal companies coming again this year. They always do an amazing job getting those kids excited and getting them on a tractor that fits their size. And when we say tractor, it's it's not actually an engine driven tractor. They drive it themselves. It's a pedal tractor. So they get to give it, give it there all and see how far they can pull those weights. And let me tell you, there's a they get after it.
Speaker 3: And that's on Friday night at seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: Okay, so right after you have your moon high. Yes, and the spectators have the regular food fair that you can get out there. Yes, and there's a variety of that she's from. Yes, and that's during the Classic Car Show too.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot happening.
Speaker 1: My goodness. Thanks. Now speaking about things happening, what's this new artist i'm hearing is going to be provoked doing the concert?
Speaker 2: Oh, Boston James.
Speaker 1: Yes, Boston Boston James.
Speaker 2: He's from Ulaga, so he's not not too far away from here. He's been super active and going all over the state playing. He played at the Oklahoma State FFA convention this past year for all those twenty thousand kids that were there. So he's he's really good and we're looking forward to happening and our actual actually our Washington County FFA chapters are sponsoring and hosting that event. So since he's an f FA alumni, our f FA chapters are stepping up and saying welcome to our county and it's it's going to be free for everyone where we'll have some bleachers to sit, of space, you place to dance. Our food and drink vendors are planning on hanging around, so there's going to be food and drinks and a good time.
Speaker 3: And that'll be Saturday from six to nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, this is going to be a good time. It really is. Now you've got other days going on and during the daytime, you guys get a lot of foot trafficking doors, don't you.
Speaker 2: We do, we do, we our indoor entries. We we've already got a lot of feedback. I think it's it was full last year and now we're having to think about how we're going to rearrange it to get it all in there again.
Speaker 1: The problem to have.
Speaker 2: It is the more the merrier, Well we'll get it figured out. But there is a lot to see and there's so many options for people to ender items in the fair, and if you haven't found a fair book yet. You can go to County Courthouse dot org to find it or pick one up at the Extension office. I think Jensen Tractor has a few still. I know that Simple Simons and the American Bank and Ramona have some in the donut shop so and then Copenn truck stop has some. So they're scattered around, but you can. You can surely find one at the Extension office always, so if you want one in your hand, go by there and pick one up.
Speaker 1: Well, it's always good to have that with you, especially if you're walking around, you know, and you go, oh, well, handy to have with you all.
Speaker 3: And the Facebook page, the events are all listed. Yes you know you can the pedal pool, the concert.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's Washington County Free Fair is our Facebook page.
Speaker 1: But well, very good. It's easy to remember too. And then you'll have all the highlights on there each day. Yes, yes, yes, you already got a lot of them up there already.
Speaker 2: Yes, there they're there, so go go peruse and find find what suits your fancy.
Speaker 1: Now when it comes to livestock, we'll forget about that. We still do that. That's pretty much the whole basis of it all. Yeah, we got we got a whole lot going on doing.
Speaker 3: Yes, we do the first show well, Thursday night we have the open pit and dog show.
Speaker 1: At six o'clock.
Speaker 3: Friday, if we have a dairy goat and dairy cow, that'll be Friday. Saturday will be the swine, sheep, goat and cattle shows starting at nine o'clock, and then the horse show.
Speaker 2: It's Saturday, Saturday night also Saturday. Actually entries are at one o'clock. Then the horse show will start at two o'clock Saturday afternoon, so we're super excited. We have a new superintendent for that show. She's an experienced horse person and she actually added a class to the horse show this year. It's the trail class, so I'm excited to see. I've never seen one before, so there's gonna be some obstacles and those those people have to get around and get around all of them on their horses, so that that'll be new and fun, very good.
Speaker 3: And then the children's barnyard. There will always be little critters there to take a look at, so if you don't see an animal, there will be an animals for you to see.
Speaker 2: And then the poultry and the rabbit show is Friday morning, so there's really every every shape and size and feathered and furred and everything to see.
Speaker 1: Chicken. The rabbits kind of took off a little bit over the last couple of years. I mean, I would have never dreamed that rabbits would be a livestock pair judging type of thing. And then what three years ago, Oh, yes, they disturbed multiply it. I don't know how that happened.
Speaker 3: They did well like rabbits.
Speaker 1: Yeah they are.
Speaker 2: So it's a it's a good project, especially for you know, beginners or not even beginners. You know, there's there's a lot of really experienced people in that world. But it's a it's economic and it doesn't cause it doesn't require a lot of space to have that project. So it is really a good versatile project for people to get into.
Speaker 1: So wonderful. Now getting back to my favorite part of the fair. Food and we have some we have some food trucks, but we also have the big meal providers we do and it's for purpose. I don't want anybody thinking that, you know, you get to go out there and camp out in the cafeteria all day, but you could for a price, well, you can.
Speaker 2: And this is a great opportunity for local or some of our organizations to do as their fundraisers. That's that's the main purpose. But they do provide us with really great food. And so Thursday it's gonna be our fair Board, it's one of our fundraisers. We're going to have roast roast sandwiches. So we're gonna cook roast all night and then turn it into sandwiches. It's going to be great.
Speaker 3: That's Thursday from eleven to one, okay.
Speaker 2: And then but that night that even the four h is going to have the evening meal and that's what the cattle Women's Pie and Basket auction, so that that'll happen together.
Speaker 1: That's been going on for about a million years, haven't Yes, good.
Speaker 3: Fun, that's a fun night, it is so and the auction starts at six okay, good you don't want to get two full that you can't raise your hand. And because they serve their meal from five to eight, and then Friday is barzel f Fa from eleven to one thirty.
Speaker 1: They're the new comers, the kids.
Speaker 3: Yes, and by far not the smallest now.
Speaker 2: No, they're big. They're growing by leaps and bounds ebidente over three hundred and fifty a kids.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of blue coats. That's a lot of blue coats and there aint nothing prettier in the fall and a little blue coats.
Speaker 2: So and then do yet that they follows them up that end Friday?
Speaker 1: Even Oh they've been around a while too. They know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: They know what they're doing. So from five to eight, do yet if they will be serving their dinner.
Speaker 3: Saturday Saturday morning eleven to three barcel Indian Women Club. Oh yeah, they're in taco so that's it, can't miss. That's kind of a staple. So come out and get your Indian taco.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then Saturday night, when all the festivities are going going on, the Copanaggies will be inside serving their meals. So very good that'll be.
Speaker 3: And that's five to eighty.
Speaker 1: So there's really no downtime here. No, this is just going to be boom boom boom boom boom. Go go, go, go go. But it's going to be so much fun. Now. What I really like when I come out here in the daytime is that the school children get an opportunity for a field trip. How many times. Does that happen outside of Oklahoma where kids get to go to the fair for a field trip. It never happened. So this is kind of for folks to take this for granted that it always happens, right, It just happens here.
Speaker 2: It just happens here. Yes, we always enjoy seeing those lines of kids at the door ready to come in and see everything that the fair has to offer, and we do. We in the past few years we have anywhere from you know, three hundred to six hundred kids come through, and that's a lot of kids, but it's it's a good time.
Speaker 1: They're always on their best behavior. You know, they'll get that one look from the teacher and it's like going, I think my comedy career is over, like now, yes, so yeah, the acting that does not happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll have Gary Deckord with his rope making machine, all porn shelling and so that's always a big one for the kids.
Speaker 1: They got to get to the little rope made so.
Speaker 2: They yeah, I can't come to the fair without without taking them a rope.
Speaker 1: We got the fishing guys out there too.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, the Green Country, the Green Country fly fishers are going to be there again this year. I'm telling you what their product is, bar none, the most durable. And I know it's a safety pin and a mock flight, but that thing will survive a washer and a dryer. Ask me how I know. I have three kids and I can't tell you how many times I've washed and dried those little things, not realizing they were still on their fair shirts. And they still are. Just look like they you know, they held up. They're durable.
Speaker 1: And know something, those peddle's got some stories to tell you, and.
Speaker 3: They'll be back to back with the lace makers. So ah, you can trol the fly and tat some lace and once.
Speaker 1: You got a little bit of everything going on, yes, kind of cover bases. I think you got them all covered, to be quite honest with you. So this once again runs September.
Speaker 2: It's open to the public fourth through the sixth, and so indoor entries are due on the second, and then the all the livestock entries will come in on the third, and then we'll get it all organized and ready for you to look at and it'll be open to the public the.
Speaker 3: Morning from today.
Speaker 1: Three weeks from today is the opening day. How fast I have to ask this because I've never been there when the doors are closed.
Speaker 2: Because the doors are closed, right, do you need a secret passage?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm just trying to figure out how and that heck you get that so organized on the indoors, not really knowing what's coming through.
Speaker 4: Years years of experience and just kind of being flexible and on the fly, being creative, and.
Speaker 2: It really we have a good team.
Speaker 1: Do you really want to behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: I mean, you bring your entry in, it's sorted by class, it gets judged, and after it's judge, it's got to be displayed. So there's like twelve hours of ballet of just boom boom, and it's up wall on which it's pretty it's like what happened, which.
Speaker 2: Which reminds me we do have a really good team. But we could always use help. We could we could use help, And so I encourage you if you have any spare time before the fair, because we're always up there, you know, trying to build pins and getting all the stuff out of storage and things like that, and there's only nine board slots and so that we can't we can't rely on just nine people to make this this fair happen. So if you have time and uh want to participate, please message us on Facebook. My phone number is actually listed in the front of the fair book. Please call it. You can call me, I don't care. If you have time to volunteer, we will plug you in and if you want to volunteer kind of longer term. There's always every once in a while the board position will come open. Depending on what district you live in, there mighty or may not be something open. But we do have a lot of committees that we have and we can have people from the public come and join those committees and run with that. That would be amazing. Things like doing the fair book. We have a fair Book committee and we have a Superintendent committee, so that's like Kevin and I are on the superintendent committee and we communicate with all of our superintendents and make sure we have superintendents for each event. And so there's a lot that goes on there.
Speaker 3: The superintendents, yep, they coordinate the entries and.
Speaker 1: When the judges get done. There is a lot of work, so.
Speaker 2: Advertising, vendors, ad Discovery, Children's Barnyard, collect the volunteers, community outreach, and even our budget. So we have community committees for all of those different areas, and there's only nine of us. So if you want to be on one of those committees, or if that's in your wheelhouse, any one of those things that we listen call call us.
Speaker 3: You can only tap your brain so many times before you're like, I can't think of nothing else, so we need we need help.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you what. It sounds like a great time for folks who are looking for something worthwhile to do, not only to the community, but for the kids especially as this is really a good time and it's great entertainment and it's always great to see healthy competition too. And it's free. It's free. Great, you said the magic word. It is free.
Speaker 2: It's free.
Speaker 1: Alrighty folks, we've got the free fair in the date.
Speaker 3: Scott Every day is September fourth, Thursday, ye and.
Speaker 1: Runs till Saturday.
Speaker 3: Entries leave at six o'clock on s So but the concert is still gonna be going on. You can be still out there dancing, eat ice cream. Maybe bring you along, chare, just in case you get charged of dancing, gotcha. So already it's gonna be fun, all right. We're going to have a blast at the fair.