Speaker 1: Dot Org.
Speaker 2: KCAA is your CNBC News affiliate where the station that gets down to business.
Speaker 3: The views and opinions expressed by individuals on the following program do not necessarily reflect those of the network. Guys Guy Radio and its platforms.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio. Here's your host, Robert Manny.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Guys Guys Radio. This is your host, Robert Manny, welcoming you to the show where men and women can be at their best and everyone wins. Guys Guys Radio. We're here to inform you, inspire you, empower you, and get you to think, feel, and who knows, maybe even act by virtue of the journeys, stories, experiences and insights of the guests I bring you each and every week to the show. And once again this week is no exception. Today we're going to talk about sports, and we're going to talk about in particular, the New York Yankees, and in particular we're going to talk about the Steinbrenners, The Bosses of the Bronx, the new book by sports editor of The New York Post, Mike Vaccaro. Mike is joining us to talk about this wonderful book about the endless drama of the Yankees under the House of Steinbrenner. It's a fun read, it's a fun topic. I'm a huge sports fan, as you may have picked up by watching or listening to the show. And I'm a huge Yankee fan because I grew up in northern New Jersey and my folks introduced me to baseball by taking my brother and I to the Yankees old timers Get Day game year after year, and I've been a fan ever since, even as I've moved to southern California and I'm a Padres fan now also, but in my heart, I'll always be a Yankees fan. So many trips to Yankee Stadium, so many memories over the years, great times with great friends. And today we're going to talk about one of the key figures behind the resurrection, if you will, of the New York Yankees, George Steinbrenner and his son Hal right here this week's Guys Guys Radio. I think you're going to really enjoy the conversation. You know, the Yankees happened won a World Series since two thousand and nine. What happened we're gonna find out, was George Spinebrenner, the last true sports owner willing to do anything to win. Maybe not, but we're gonna find out. And have the Yankees become too corporate to dominate baseball again? I don't think so, but we're gonna find out. All from sports editor and author of the new book The Bosses of the Bronx, Mike Facaro right here on this week's Guys Guys Radio.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, guys guys Radio. It is the interview portion of our show, and today we're heading into the heart of baseball royalty, power, money, family, legacy, and relentless pressure that comes with wearing pinstripes. Our guest is a legendary sports columnist and author, Mike Vaccaro, lead columnist for The New York Post and author of the new book. I'll hold it up right here because I'm in the middle of reading it, The Bosses of the Bronx, and I got to tell you it is fantastic. It's a great If you're a Yankees fan, you cannot miss this book. And if you're not, and you want to know what the fascination is with the Yankees and George Steinbrenner and his son, read this book, The Bosses of the Bronx. Now, Mike takes us inside the fascinating and often turbulent story of the New York Yankees and the Steinberger family dynasty, from George's fiery rain and obsession with winning, to how Steinbrenner is more measured corporate leadership style in today's analytics driven era. We'll talk championships, pressure, money, ego, loyalty. We'll talk about everyone from Reggie Jackson to Juan Soto, and if you love baseball leadership, New York sports history, or family dynasties, this is going to be a great conversation. So let's meet Mike Vaccaro. Welcome to Guys Guys Radio.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Roberts. Good to be with you today.
Speaker 5: So let's start right at the beginning. I mean this is there's been a lot of books that have been written about the Steinbrenner's and George in particular and the Yankees. So what inspired you to write this one. I know everybody's familiar with Bill Madden's biography of George, but this is a little bit different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I didn't want to set up to write a biography, Robert, because, like you said, Mad wrote a biography. Dick Schapp years earlier, had done a very good biography of him. This isn't biography as much as the slice of New York life. I think from nineteen seventy three on, which is when Steinbinterer and his partners bought the Yankees on the way all the way to today, where how you know, oversees the old kingdom that his father created. I think part of what inspired me was to, you know, kind of give a real full accounting for a lot of people. You know, we're sixteen years past George's death now. I think a lot of people only remember him as the kindly old man who would walk in the Yankee Stadium and be drowned in cheers and guys like you and you remember that about ten years before that he would walk into the Yankee Stadium and the noise would be different, and the words would be different, the sentiment would be different. But people don't remember that, you know, either they're too young to have gone through that, or you know, some people like to use selective indisia and only choose to remember the stuff at the end. And you know, it was it was a fascinating thirty seven years that George owned the team, fascinating time in baseball in New York, in the country, specifically with the Yankees, and you know, he rescued the Yankees from near oblivion to where they're one of the top friends in the whole world, you know, baseball, sports and otherwise. And I thought it was a certainly a just story and worth preserving between the covers of a book.
Speaker 5: Well, you did an amazing job, and the attention to detail is incredible and the writing style is wonderful. So thank you for putting this together. I'm thoroughly enjoying it night. I don't always say that to my guests unless I really mean it, and this time I do, and I highly.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it. I appreciate that. Thank you.
Speaker 5: It's terrific. So let's start with Steinbredder himself. There's some owners just really transcend their sports they're involved in. Nowadays we have and you love him or you hate him, or a little bit of both. Today we've got like Jerry Jones with the Cowboys. Before that, you had George Steinbrenner. Before him, maybe in a more cartoonish way, you had Charlie Finley. What makes George Steinbrenner so special and what was the most surprising thing you found out about him when you were doing the research for this book.
Speaker 6: You know, I think what made him so special is that he really was a one of one. I mean, there wasn't a you know, yes you can you could liken a lot of owners to him. You know, I think you did. You know, you're right. Jerry Jones is obviously a high profile owner, although mostly he doesn't say silly things publicly. A couple of times a week. Charlie Finley was very close to what George became. He just never had the resources behind him, and he was doing when he was doing in Oakland, California, rather than New York, so he was a little a little more muted.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: I think the thing that surprised me about learning about George was just how profoundly he was responsible for making sure that the Yankees remained the New York Yankees, you know, when you know part of the reason why he was picked by CBS and his group was picked by CBS to to get the team. They didn't have the highest bid, but they were the one with the loudest voice, you know, guaranteeing the New York that the Yankees were stay in New York. They already kind of had one fit out the door, following the Giants to New Jersey, where there were other options. New Orleans was a prominent option, and you know, a lot of the groups that were bidding more money were pretty adamant that they were probably going to abandon the South Bronx. William Paley, the legendary chairman of CBS, who already knew that part of his habituator was going to read that he'd let the Yankees kind of crumble. He also didn't want to be known as the guy who let the Yankees leave New York, and that was appealing to him. And so as a result, you know, George's group got the team for eight point eight million dollars, which is a staggering number. And the more staggering number is the George himself butut of about one hundred and sixty eight thousand dollars of his own money, which is really remarkable. He consider the fact that by the time he died thirty seven years later, he was a confirmed billionaire. So it's you know, I think that's one of the things that you forget. Because George had his own alliances with New Jersey but for the most part that was all done in the interest of making sure the new Yankee Stadium would get built, which it did. He would have liked it to have been built a couple of years before that. But there was some real sentiment because the Yankees were the number two team in town and it wasn't close when he bought the team in ninety seventy three. The Mets out through the Yankees two and a half to one. Most years, they were the team in New York. And you know, George wanted to change that. George did change that, and you know, through the sheer will of his personality, they were in the World Series three years later.
Speaker 5: Now what were And he had promised that that he would give me three years and he would do that. So what are some what are the things? What are the key steps he took to transform the Yankees first of all into a championship team once again, and then to really transcend baseball and make the Yankees really a true global brand.
Speaker 6: Well, the guy who brought into the Yankees basically was Gay Paul, who was a longtime baseball man who George knew from Cleveland. George almost bought to Cleveland Indians a couple of years before that, so we got to know Gate Paul. Paul was just was a baseball life for a guy who had done every job in professional baseball, had ever actually gotten the team the team of his dreams. I mean, he had helped build the sixty one Reads, but he was gone by the time that team went to the World Series, and you know, tell you tough financial times in Cleveland kind of hampered him there. So when he was given the opportunity to find the Yankees for George, and then George reciprocated by bringing him a board as first the GM and waiting and then later the GM in full, that was really a huge moment for George. You know, you know. One of the things that George did, but he was low key not giving a lot of credit for, was he identified solid baseball people. He didn't always listen to them, and usually when the Yankees ran off the tracks, it's when he stopped listening to his baseball people and became his own baseball subcommittee. But when he listened to his own people and look at me. Helped along by the fact that George was suspended from baseball for seventy four and seventy five. So Gay Paul is basically allowed to build that team, you know, with George not hectoring him every day, and he did. You know, he was responsible for the bones of that team that wound up winning two championships later on. It was the same thing with Stick Michael. You know, Stick Michael was a great baseball man along the same profile Gate Paul, and exactly the same opportunity. George was suspended a second time for two years, and during those two years, as when is when Stick Michael was able to rebuild the team without the interference from above that he normally would have had. And you know, so you can maybe to duck points from George's tenure for not always being willing to follow a winning plan, a winning model. But you know, we would have had, you know, half the stories in the book, and probably no book at all if George wasn't the kind of guy who thought that he was the smartest guy in every room.
Speaker 5: Now, George's approach Mike is a little bit different than some of the owners take in today's sports world because he believed in star power. I mean, there's nothing knew about that nowadays it's still important, but he really was focused on star power at the expense of the minor league developing talent for a good portion at time. However, the team in around ninety six all came out of the Yankee system. How do you kind of balance that?
Speaker 6: Well, look, I mean, George was the one who to identify Reggie Jackson as the first savior of what his vision was. And while other people in his organization wanted to go with other they thought smarter signings during that first free agency class of seventy six seventy seven, George said, flatly, reggilarly put fannies in the seats. He understood the part the power of stars, and of course he was right. Reggie was a guy who mittally put fannies in the seats immediately delivered a couple of championships. But the problem is, I mean, the problem is that there were two Georgias who ran the team. The one was a smart guy like you mentioned, who was able to entrust lieutenants to help him build build a great team. Bill farmsist him. He understood that it was unsustainable to, you know, just buy the best player on the market every year. You needed a farm system that would be able to keep feeding you. And that was smart baseball decisions. He invested in infrastructure before it was fashionable. He invested in the farm system. The problem is he shared an office with the other George who was the lunatic fan, the impatient, impetuous, lunatic fan. And that was the guy who basically had the louder voice in the room. And so therefore, you know, the're older in the eighties, they would they would trade the likes of Fred McGriff and Jay Buhner and William McGee and Doug Graybeck all the interests of trying to pursue a veteran names who were probably four or five years past their prime. And as a result, the Yankees went eighteen years without winning a World Series. And it wasn't until later on when Stick was kind of the guy who put in the blueprint, We're gonna build around this core of talented players, see where it goes. And obviously it led to the most recent of all of our baseball dynasties. And I think that was when George finally realized that maybe you gotta know kind to stick to take a step back, which is why you know, Brian Casten was the last GM he ever hired, which is why Joe Torrey was hired in nineteen ninety five and lasted until two thousand and seven, because George realized even George wasn't gonna fire you if he kept winning every year.
Speaker 5: George has been very volatile obviously, with changing churning through the managers, almost like you know, tissue paper. Did this chaos work for him and did it work for the team?
Speaker 6: No, it weren't melted not. I mean, the fact of the matter is that that look at me in the the Yankees were the model organization around nineteen eighty one or so, and he was his decision not to bring Riggie Jackson back. He was his decision to after that when they stopped winning penance to start trying to think, you know, quick fix things, including firing the manager every year, firing the GM every year, firing the pitching coach, firing the pr director always, you know, making Jay Buner for Ken Phelps type deals, which drove you know, Frankestanza and every other fan crazy. And you know, and the proof is in the pudding. I mean, look, they they didn't go to the playoffs from nineteen eighty one to ninety five, They didn't win a World series between nineteen seventy eight nineteen ninety six. That's really all you need to know. And that's why it makes me laugh. Now people, you know, whatever, the Aches go on a small losing streak and my inbox get filled with the Yankee fans. You know, what would George do? What if George is still alive and they get mad at hal Steinlinner. They don't think that he is quite the urgency that his father had. And you know the fact of the matter is that the Yankees current drought, if you will want to call it a drought, is sixteen years. Can't counting. You know, George's I was eighteen. I mean that did not work. The way that Yankee fans believe that a lot of Yankee fans remember George is not the way it happened. You know, he snapped his fingers all of a sudden. If he fire somebody, he trade somebody, and boom, they would win a World series. That's not how it happened. And that's not how it would happen now. And you know, but you know what, people have their memories, and people just choose to remember George the way they remember him, and that's kind of the reason also why I thought this was a valuable book to have is to remind you that was it a lot of good when he was when he was the yanking you and a lot of good. A lot of people didn't even know about that he did, but it was very good. He did a lot of bad, and to me, that's what makes a guy fascinating enough to write about.
Speaker 5: Now, my special guest on Guys Guys Radio sports columnist New York Post editor Mike Vacarra, we're talking about the new book period is once again the Bosses of the Bronx. There was a time where George put together the winning team when he had seventy seven seventy eight. He got Reggie. That was the you know, that was really the catalyst to those years. And then he held on to some of those guys a bit Long Gossage and a few others, and they kind of the team kind of went down and he had a fascination, of course with Billy Martin, and then they had another mini resurrection when he had Winfield, Maddingly, guys like and Ricky Henderson. Why do you think that that group did not win the way the Reggie Reggie group won?
Speaker 6: Well, simple series. They didn't have enough pitching. They never had pitching to match the incredible offense they had. I mean the Yankees of those years started every game it seemed like two to nothing because you know, Ricky Henderson would lead off with a walk, and still second, you know, really Randolphould would we sacrifice and Intervold on the right side of the infield again to the third maddeningly second we had to sacrifice Flyre or drive me with a double, and then Winnifield, Winfield drive in madly with a double, and every game seems start to nothing. But they never had the pitching to back that offense up. And because of that, George got crazy with you know, not just the moves, but also becoming way too involved. I mean, the Yankees that era had a term for it. They called it being georged. You know, they'd be going along fine. They lose a couple of games, the Tigers are taken by a half game. All of a sudden, Starmaner would show up and issue was missives and they go into a tailspin. That happened year after year, and he never learned from his mistakes. The one time he had a chance to really rectify. This was after the eighty six season, eighty seven going into eighty seven, when he could have you know, he could have retained Gay bringing Willie Randolph without any penalty, could have gone after Jack Morris chose to sign any of them because he meekly went along with collusion, which is the one time, the one part of his personality I can't explain because it's completely against all of George's inner angels that he would have go along with the crowd, go along with the commissioner. But he did. And so that that also didn't help at all because they had a great chance to win that year on the next year and just they didn't have Jack Morris and the Tigers did, which is basically what the what the story was told there. So you know that's the difference. And the fact is, you know in the seventies that the Yankees were filled with teams. I'd love to go back at George. I mean, Reggie would always answer George back, you know, the manager of course, would more than anybody else. But you had third Months and Gooscalches. These guys had no problem engaging with George Greg Nettles, and you know, George liked that. You know, he didn't like the fact that he would rip Dave Winfield, and Winfield will smile and say, well, as long as the man pays me on the first and the fifteenth, all's good by me. That's not how George liked him. He got frustrated. I think that helped, you know, explain maybe why he wanted to get more involved, because he just didn't think he had the same kind of battle as they had before. I think it's a it's it's pretty simple. They just didn't have quite the pitching that that they needed in order to compete in the American League in those years.
Speaker 5: Now, why why do you think that's the case, Mike? I mean, he had brilliant baseball minds around him, and George was no dummy. He understood how the game is played. He had guys like Don Baylor and Winfield and Mattingly and Ricky, but he couldn't win. What why why not get the best pitchers?
Speaker 6: But like I said, the one time, the one shot, he had a chance to make everything right, he chose to go along with collusion, which is something I'm sure that he would tell you he read it later on. Although he never wanted to go on the record, you know, countermanding, whatever Peter Youbarov was trying to do in those years. But you know, I mean, pitching is not an easy thing to acquire. I mean later on they tried to, you know, add Greg Maddox when he was out of baseball, they finished second for him. They tried for years to build a staff and they just couldn't do it. You know, I mean, I think, I think it's easier to build a powerful offense in Yankee Stadium the way the dimensions are, but it is a pitching staff. And they just kept throwing you know, failed rotations at the wind, and they just weren't able to connect in the way that the great rotations of the seventies Catfish in Figueroa and those guys. And then later on the nineties when you had you know, Andy Pettitt and you had David Cohene, you had Roger Clemmons, and I think also later on when you were making your postseason lists of what you wanted, I think later on they realized you had to, you know, include pitchings pitchers on that list every bit as much as sluggers.
Speaker 5: What do you think was the catalyst to the resurgence of the Yankees in the nineties. They had gone through the eighties, they never won the big one with Winfield and Mattingly, and then they kind of fell off, and then they came back and they had the core four of Pasada Rivera, uh Uh, Jeter and Bernie Williams. What what happened and what laid the front groundwork for getting those players into the system and keeping them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's George getting kicked out of baseball frankly, I mean he was out of the way for two years when Stick Michael not only put together that team, put together an organizational philosophy where they were gonna take a lot of pitches, They're gonna have long at bats, they were gonna make it hard on other pitchers, and of course the players, the prospects they gathered, uh attended that church, so that was perfect. But also they stuck around. You know, there's no question, there's no question in the mind of my mind or anybody's mind, will watch those teams that have George with a guy making the final say decisions in those years, but at least one or two of the core four plus Bernie would have been gone, you know, and you know, maybe they still have enough to win one or two. They're not gonna win four out of five, and they're not gonna win you know, it's gonna be a whole different realm, you know. And because wasn't able to make those decisions, because Stick Michael was allowed to say this is the way it's gonna be. Those guys stuck around, they were allowed to go through growing pets and pains in the minor leagues, sometimes growing pains at the major league level. And together they they they formed the basis and the core for a remarkable team. I mean, that's you know, that's the long and the short of it. I mean, the irony for was you look, I mean, I don't want I didn't write the book to diminished George's legacy because clearly I was thirty seven years and made the Yankees prominent in the world to a degree that even the Yankees had never been before. And George gets ever bit of credit for that, He gets every bit of credit for hiring the likes of Gay Paul and Stick Michael. Back to the matter is there are two years of prosperity, almost entirely built.
Speaker 5: When he was in absentia, absolutely amazing. I guess the core fur A member I didn't mention, was Pettit, right, Andy Pettitt's the fourth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was. I mean, you know, somebody needs him up with the Ride for five because Bernie belongs in that group along with Pettitt, Pettitt and Jeter and Posada and Mariano. I mean, that's a good four four. But Bernie was every bit the core memory of that group and also homegrown guy. And so somebody companies to come up with a with a rhyme the sources five.
Speaker 5: Now, why why do you think George didn't really get on their case? Obviously they won a lot, but he didn't seem to get in their face and tweak them the way he did with Winfield and Baylor and Reggie and even even Months and he really and Penela, he got on those guys backs a lot more than he did with the Core four plus Bernie.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And to me, I mean, I think I think people have always asked me, which, what do you think which champions did he like more? I think he personally liked the seventies team more because they they won, but they were also willing to fight. You fight with them on the back page. I mean, the back page was theater to him. It wasn't just you know, place the last complaints. I mean, that was how we kept the Yankees in the news twelve months a year. And those guys are always willing to fire back. I mean Gus gas Is once you know, called him the fat man, you know, chules him to a fight upstairs till a fatman, and you know that I'm looking for, you know, other than David Wells, there really wasn't a guy on the on the modern Yankees that had any interest in getting after the boss. I mean, and frankly, who are you going to get after? I mean, you know you're not gonna ever gonna go to a into a tabloid fight with Bernie Williams or Anti Pettitt. I mean, that's just a waste of time.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know Derek Jeter one time, you know, he talked about how he went out too much. And of course, because they're both guys who always trying to wind up making chicken salad out of the other stuff, they wanted doing a commercial together, a visa commercial, and they wanted to one running for a year and a half. And they probably both want to be dishes to their houses because of the residuals from that commercial. So but that was really the only time. And even Jeter then did so, you know he when when when when George said he'd do party too much? I mean, you know, Jeter's response was, I like to go out once in a while, but I'm not exactly Dennis Rodman, And that kind of diffused the situation. So there was never you know, any boss going after captain and then captain going after the boss. And weren't going to get that the way you did a generation earlier, when you had Thurman, Reggie and Nettles and Gossips all lining up to take swings at George and Billy ready to do it whenever, whenever they were tired.
Speaker 5: Now you had a George had an obsession with Billy Martin. It seems like he brought them back four or five times. I lost track after four and then finally Billy died on Christmas Day in a car accident. But then he hires a guy like Tory a few years later, very very different. What made the change in George? How did he see a guy like Tory who did not have a reputation that or the personality that Billy Martin had. How did he make the grade and get the job?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was definitely against character. I mean Arthur Richmond, who would work with Tory when they both worked with the Mets. And this is a baseball guy. So anybody in baseball knew Joe Torrey, knew what a gentleman he was, knew it a good baseball man mind he had, So it was heavy recommendations. That's the reason why I went with Tory. But he was definitely out of type, out of character. I mean the guy Quinn essential manager for Georg Stein Benter, but actually probably would have been Woody Hayes, But since Woody Hayes wasn't available to manage baseball teams, or Bobby Knight for that matter, you know, he went with Billy Martin, who was basically the same character of those guys, the same took the same approach. And you know, George was all fotball coach and he never was never able to be disabused with the fact that baseball is a different sport than football. Maybe you don't, you know, run your baseball team the way you would your football team. But look, I mean they both hated losing more than they loved winning, and that's the reason why they got along so well and also why they usually won. The driving each other crazy to where you know, he was hired and fired five times, and almost certainly there would have been Billy six if he hadn't passed away on Christmas Day in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 5: Okay, my special guests on Guys Guys Radio, Mike mccaro or the new book Bosses of the Bronx. I'm about three quarters of the way through the book and it is absolutely fascinating. And the change between the you know, the Billy teams and then the Tory teams is like night and day. What happened with guys like Clemmens and Andy Pettitt. They had kind of a falling out with the Yankees, and I think they went away and they came back again. Talk to us a little bit about that, Mike.
Speaker 6: Look, I mean it was a different time. I mean, the fact of the matter is George could convince guys like Kat for Shutter and Reggie Jackson to become Yankees and not and not make the highest bits for their services, much the same way they got that that that that Georgia had bought the Yankees without making the highest bid for the Yankees, he was able to sell Reggie and Catfish on being Yankees on New York City, on what that would mean to them, to their careers, to their legacies, to their Hall of Fame crudentials, and in those you know, those are two guys who are willing to buy that. They believed it. A lot of guys in those years were willing to believe that maybe, you know, there was something other than just chasing every last nickel.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: That's obviously changed over the years. That was probably part of the problem with Clemens, for sure. With Pettant, you know, I mean there were a couple of times been on the trading block, and you know, George was always hot and cold with him. I think that him going to the Astros for a couple of years, uh, was kind of his commentary and how displeased that and made him. But look, I mean, you know, it's also the fact that that that that you know, when when he got into the into the nineties and into into the New cent the players held almost all the cards and that wasn't you know, they hold a lot of the cards and the early dies a free agency but there was still they were still kind of figuring out how how that script would go. And so, you know, George, you know, the players were able to make more money, but they still I think, had a lot of the old social of sensibilities of baseball, which meant a lot of where am I going to play? Where can I win? And I think now it's a lot more of you know, where can I get? Where can I squeeze the last nickel in last quarter?
Speaker 5: H A Rod, what's your take? Havn't been around, and I'm sure you've talked to him many times on the whole A saga with the Yankees started out great, incredibly talented player agreed to move to third base to accommodate Jeter, and then they had a little bit of a falling out and it didn't seem like they were close over the years. Now they're working together on Fox, And of course A Rod's been dinged a few times with steroid allegations and has been withheld from the Hall of Fame. What's your take on that as a sportsn somebody very close to the situation.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, we talked earlier about the reasons why I wrote the book, and you know all the all of the revisionist history that's gone around George, and honestly, I think one of the first seeds that might have been planted was, you know, back when you know, things went south between A Rod and the Yankees and he was gonna sue the Yankees, and the Yankees were you know, publicly, you know, just basically screaming back at a Rod. I would get these interesting emails from people who said, you know, if Georgia said a lot, this wouldn't happen. Gege wouldn't treat his best player that way. And that drove me insane because because I said, you guys are clearly either six years old who just choose not to remember who how his spear was, who Dave Winfield was, and the fact that you know, not only would George have engaged it, George actually blackmailed his best player. He tried to. He tried to, he tried to get dirt on his best player. So if you want to tell me that he wouldn't engage in publicly shouting down his best player who was trying to sue him, that gut I got. I got another guess for you. So I thought that was interesting. So of course. I mean, look, I mean it's interesting how people choose to remember George and how people choose to, you know, fancifully think about how we would handle things. I think he would have handled things every bit the same way that Brian Cashman and helsteinmern Or did when it came to Alis Rodriguez toward the end, and it probably would have been even funnier, crazier, zanier, how you pick your word, because that's just how George was. And I think that, you know, I mean, I think you saw a little about how George would react to a Rod. I mean, you know, for a couple of years, Hank was kind of the spokesman for the team, his oldest son, uh and you know when when when when a Rod opted out during the World Series, Hank went bananas and that was Hank. So it was you know, it was a little muted because it wasn't quite George, but you know that that's exactly what George would have done, because they were both you know, they were both wired the same way. Which is part of the reason why I think hell was it was a lot more logical choice to George because he realized in the modern game he needed somebody a lot more like Hell than he did, like like George or like Hank.
Speaker 5: Even for that matter, when George was headed towards his kind of the miise, what was the kind of the passing of the baton? Which season was that? When did George kind of step back? And when did his sons take over?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was around too, He was right around two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, that's when he became more of an emeritus, more of a of an advisor, although he still had a very public opinion about Joe Torre during the playoffs of two thousand and seven when the Yankee shell behind in Cleveland. But by it was by that by that time that you know, for for a while you had Hank as the spokesman and Hall is the guy behind the scenes. And later on they were forced to pick one, and how was the obvious choice so obvious that you know, there was no succession like drama to it. I mean, the other siblings all voted for Hall, and I think they're all pretty you know, Hank sadly passed away in twenty twenty, but I think they're all pleased with the h with that choice ptet because because Hall is a level headed, smart, savvy business guy, and you know it's it was also acceding to the wishes of George because I think George saw an early that Howe was probably the guy who's going to slot into that role.
Speaker 5: I want to take a half a step back, if I might, Mike I met I neglected to mention Buck Shoalter, what's your take on what was his impact on the Yankees?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, if if if Stick Michael deserves the most credit for their renaissance and ultimately their their dynasty. Uh in the late nineties early early aughts, Uh, than a very close second to Show Walter, because you know, he was a guy that that that that that Michael fired weeks before he before he hired him because he just didn't think that he would be even a reasonable choice to Kid the interview for the job, but was told by other advisors because you really talk to this guy, see what you got to say, and hired him and was kind of surprised because you know, even the Yankees and declined is a pretty plumb job. But it was Stick who hired Buck, and Buck immediately went no nonsense immediately. You know, anybody who's been around Buck for five minutes, knows that this is the smartest, one of the smartest baseball people there is, you know, in my own career, I mean I learned more baseball walk Show Walter by just keep my mouth shut and my ears open in pre and post game press conferences than anybody else, because he's that smart. And the results were on the field pretty quickly. I mean, within two years they were winning team, within three they were knocking on the door with the Blue Jays, and by ninety four they were running away with the American Leaguees. So you know, his impact was enormous.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: I do wonder like there was a huge backlash when he was fired, uh, in favor of Joe Tory, But you know, of course history will tell us that maybe that was the exact moment where they needed a different voice in the room. And obviously Tory was a little less intense, a little less over the top in terms of details than Show Walter was. I was more willing to just you know, absorb the George you know onslaughts that then Buck was and it was probably maybe, as it turns out, the right choice for them for that job, you know, but it's it's uh, you know he was. He was a fundamental part of the change of culture and in that culture, the season. That culture planted by bucking By Stick in the early nineties is still really the basis of the Yankees culture right now.
Speaker 5: We talked a little bit about how son hal taking over from his dad and is more measured approach and more analytically driven, and he seems to keep the same guys for a long time. You've got Cashman for how many years now, like twenty years? And that long, I mean longer you have.
Speaker 6: You got the job in ninety eight, twenty eighty years, Yes, twenty four playoffs in twenty eight years.
Speaker 5: And then and as a Yankee fan, Aaron Boom has been the manager, I'll just say it far too long, I mean after last year. One thing I noticed about I'm a lifelong Yankee fan. I live out here in the San Diego area. I've seen the trades between the two teams. I follow the Padres because they're the only game in town, and they've got a good loyal base and they've got an interesting way of building the team. I don't agree with everything, but as I watched the Yankees, and I watched them in the World Series against the Audrey is a year a year ago. Their defense they just have never been in my opinion, since the Jeter days. Their defense is not good. And it seems like those fundamentals really come back to bite them. And I think the Dodgers knew that when they played the Yankees and they it turned out to be. The difference in the series was that one play with Garrett call.
Speaker 6: Yeah and look, I mean the uh That's the thing is, I think he understands that think that things aren't perfect. And then you know, probably if his father were still alive, we were still alive. I mean, Aaron Moon might be the manager, but he might be he might be on his third or fourth tenure the way he did it with Billy Marden. But look at mean, I think he also understands that U he looks crossed down, look at the Mets and realizes, maybe not so easy to win ninety four ninety five games every year. And look say what you little about Boone and what you will about cash Man. I mean, those guys get the Yankees and play every year. Now are the things that you talked about reasons why maybe they aren't able to be you know, the best team in the sport in October. Maybe is there anybody out there who would guarantee you that they do better than those two guys are doing. I'm not so sure there is, And I think help it's a value in that I don't think it's forever. And I think the first time that they take a real step back, first time they go eighty and eighty two, he'll probably clean house or he'll be an implying to think about it more. But look, I mean they moved off from Joe Girardi, So there is not a it's not a it's not a Supreme Court nomination for these guys. I mean, it's it's a you know, they they will be judged, they are judged. I just think that that Hal has a has a better appreciation for the for the for the regular, regular regularness of excellence as opposed to you know, taking a shot here and there and maybe you know, falling on your face with that choice, which George did plenty.
Speaker 5: Also, what's your take on the Yankees building their bullpen. They tried a lot of different closers and I don't think they've ever gotten an elite guy. I say that as a as a padre and Yankee fan because I've seen the one strength that the Padres have is they're really good at They really built an excellent bullpen, and they value that they get the lead they're usually going to in and they don't have that much else going a couple of stars they have. But the Yankees are loaded. Yet the top the end of their bullpen is uh is very chaotic.
Speaker 6: And of course a lot of Yankee fans have have met their their their memories seared by by just the the automatic nature of Marianna Rivera, right, So that's a hard standard to live up to. And and look here's the thing though, It's like, you know, Erald, this Chapman is has spent a lot of his career as a as a lockdown, guaranteed closer, including including for their for their fierce rivals of the Red Sox. I mean, he's he's one of the big reasons the Red Sox, you know, face the Yankees in the playoffs last year. Yet his years of the Yankees, Yankee fans would just hide undercovered whenever he would come into a game. They didn't trust him. I mean, I think that's part of it, is the nature of bullpen anyway, I mean, there aren't a lot of Mason Miller's. There aren't a lot of Marianna Rivera's. There aren't a lot of guys who you could just hand the ball to and say, well, this is over. It's a very volatile lot of work, you know, bullpens, bullpens as a whole, you know, go hot and cold year to year and sooner relief pitchers, and it's hard to build. Look me, in the fact of the matter is I think I think the key, especially now when we might be in the final hours of no salary cap in the sport, the best way to do it is to just you, is to just flood the zone and get as many many guys as you can to do the role and see who see and see who gets hot. You know, that's not necessarily a great way to do it if there's ever going to be a salary of control in place, as there might be after whatever whatever labor strife we're looking at next year. But for now, I think that might be the best way to do it, because look, I'm not I'll look through baseball and you know, other than one or two obvious names, I'm not sure that I see a guy that I say, you need to get this guy. This guy will solve about the ninth inning problems, and therefore you keep moving guys back so that solves the eighth inning, that solves the seventh inning. And I think that's part of the problem is identifying that guy is. And when near the Yankees, you have the added burden of knowing that number forty two is not trotting down the bull playing time.
Speaker 5: A good point.
Speaker 6: Good point, except except on Jackie Robinson day when they're all.
Speaker 5: Okay, The Mets and the Yankees still seem to have that simmering rivalry underneath, and they and the new Mets management has kind of, I don't want to say poached, but they've kind of bought a lot of Yankees when they become free agents. And obviously the big one is Soto. So if you would, Mike, give us a little bit of a background about the whole Sodo uh, you know, soap opera, and then the Mets seemed to be enamored with taking Yankee the guys who become free agents.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, I think that Sodo wasn't wasn't Yankee specific deal for Steve Cohen. I mean, I think, you know, he's a guy. He's the guy they both went after, and they both went after with big deals, and he was a trophy for for Steve Cohen. I think the other guys, I mean, yes, they all played for the Yankees. I mean, you've got a lot of names now, you know, you know Peterson Williams and uh and uh. You know even even Louis Everarino and Harrison Bader came to the mess after that Weaver. I think that's more coincidental than it is we're going after Yankees got I think they just, you know, they have their formulas for which players belong on their in their you know, in their logarithm of a team, and then and then those guys fell into it. I think Soda was a was an outlier when it comes to that, because I think he was a guy that that Cohen just wanted because he was a Yankee.
Speaker 5: Do you think that Sodo wanted to be a Yankee but he just went with the highest bidder or do you think, based on your experience that he never want he thought he might be number two because Judge is so popular.
Speaker 6: I don't think those things factor and I think I think one side one Soto was asposed to a baseball cyboard, as there is so the emotional things that the fans think about and that maybe other players think about, they don't really play into into him. They he wants to know, he wanted, he wants, he wanted to reach a certain number and he did. He wants a place where it will be comfortable to go to work every day, and I think he has that with the Mets. I mean, you know, a lot of the stories now want to blame uh the Alligit riff between him and Francisco and Ladore on him. But I think part of it is Lindor is a guy who's engaging and wants to get Ready's friend, and Soda just wants to go to work every day. And to him, it doesn't matter if he's doing that in Washington, San Diego with the Bronx, the Flushing or any place, as long as he's getting getting paid in the first fifteenth and he's allowed to prepare for games the way he wants to prepare for them. And I think he's just you know, he'll, he'll, he'll, he'll be a teammate and everything. But I think that things that we think should matter don't matter, and he's not the only guy like that. I think, you know, I think he can go chapter versus a lot of players in baseball who can adapt very well, you know, given if they're given everything they want. And that's I think that's which pisda is.
Speaker 5: Okay, last last question, what what do you think that? And along these same lines, Mike, what do baseball fans need to know about the game and about the business to really understand it better? Instead of looking at things like what you just described about Juan Soto. He just wants to do the job. A lot of people think, oh, maybe he's moody, he doesn't want to be number two and all all of this kind of emotional stuff. What a fans really need to know to appreciate the game even more and watch the game and more educated fashion.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look at me. I know it's more educated or if it brings you more lines of the way that things are done now. But look, I mean it's a it's a numbers driven game now, and you can we can we can break that into two to the two divisions. One the analytics, and there are a lot of fans who just hate the idea that analytics kind of rule the day now in baseball. I mean they do. There's no question about that. They're going to for the foreseeable future. And the fact is that that that that that, you know, it makes a lot of sense. They were there was a reason why, you know, the best teams in the sport now are very analytically driven. You know, it's still it's still a talent sport too, though, so you have to have the best players. But that's the other part of the numbers involved.
Speaker 7: Is that.
Speaker 6: Look, I mean, it's not just as easy now as we're going to find the best player and then give them ten years and x one hundred million dollars. I mean, people realize that the way that the way baseball baseball is we baked baseball players are. There's a certain show flight to these players, you know. I think the reason why he want Soona was able to break the bank is because he was a freeing. He's so young. You know. One of the reasons why pee Lonzo was not is because he was past thirty when he finally hits pretty agency. And I think that matters to all owners, not just the rich ones, not just the poor ones, but even the rich ones. I mean the rich Ones don't believe in being baseball we you know, welfare either And I think you know, you look back, but that the contract that that pooh Hoole signed with the Angels, and that they regretted that for many years afterwards. You know, we can go one after the other with a lot of players that were similarly aged poorly. And I think that those are the things that go into every thought that goes to building a team. And it's not just about I can get this player, this player, this player, this player. Maybe that was more the case twenty thirty forty, certainly one hundred years ago, but it's not the case now. It's more it's more numbers driven, whether it's dollars or desin the points.
Speaker 5: Amazing, Mike, this has been a terrific conversation, insightful, passionate, a real deep dive into one of the most fascinating dynasties in sports history. Once again, for Yankee fans, sports fans, leadership junkies, and anyone listed interested in power, family, legacy, and the business of this book, The Bosses of the Bronx by Mike Vaccaro is essential reading. Thank you so much for being on guys. Guys, Radio. Where can people find out more about you?
Speaker 7: Mike?
Speaker 6: Thank you, Robert. Look, I mean I'm at my commns thepost at my post dot com and you can find it on x at Mike Vack with two SE's. That's the same thing. Mike back fifty seven is my Instagram address, So that's where you can find me.
Speaker 5: Mostly amazing. Thank you so much for being on the show. I hope we can do it again.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Robin. I hope so too.
Speaker 4: It's guys Guy Radio, all right.
Speaker 5: An amazing and insightful conversation with the one and only Mike Vaccaro, sports editor and author, sportswriter and author extraordinaire. Mike really does an amazing job with this book, The Bosses of the Bronx, all about the Steinbrenners and the endless drama of the Yankees under the house at Steinbrenner. I think the keyword there is drama. It seemed like from what Mike had to say, that George Steinbrenner, who really resurrected Theankees and really made the brand transcend baseball along with the twenty seven to twenty eight World Championships, was a conflict and the drama that surrounded the team, and the fact that George thrived on it. He liked it when his players pushed back, he liked it when his managers like Billy Martin pushed back, and he seemed to have a lot of fun with that and a lot of success. The most success the Yanks had under his tutelage really was probably in the seventies because of all the personalities there and the fact that they had been out of the picture for many years in the New York Baseball and also just in Major League Baseball. They were they were not the championship team that they became again in nineteen seventy seven nineteen seventy eight, until they put together this mix of the Bronx Zoo as they called it. With you had characters like Sparky Lyle and Catfish Hunter and Thurman Munson and Greg Nettles and Ron Gidrey and Reggie Jackson it was, and Billy Martin's manager. It was just volatile mix, and they pushed back on their overbearing boss, George Steinbrenner, and you know something, it worked. Now, twenty years or so later, they came back again with a much more mellow group that was created according to Mike under the auspices of Geen Michael and company, and they put together the core four, Derek Jeter, jes Posada, Marianna Rivera, Andy Pettitt, and of course Bernie Williams the number five, the fifth Beatle, if you will, And they won championships in the late nineties, and they didn't have this conflict. However, they had George and the fire was there, and I guess he changed his style a little bit, but he seemed like he liked the battles, he liked the conflict, he liked the drama of when he had those seventies Yankees. So it's interesting where you see the teams and the brands that thrive on the drama and the conflicts and those that transcend the sport. Look at Jerry Jones now Dallas Cowboys. You love them or you hate them, but you know all about the Cowboys. They get a lot of press. If you watch any type of the ESPN sports shows, anytime anybody hunt the Cowboys burps, you know there's a story about it. And I think it's because of Jerry Jones and his confrontational, chaotic style, if you will. And what is he going to do next and his hands on approach, and George Steinberner was the same way as was Al Davis with the Raiders. So sometimes conflict works, and sometimes you take a brand and you can transcend the category of the sport you're in if you really know how to push it the right way, and apparently George Steinbrenner innately knew how to do it. Thank you for listening to Guys Guys Radio. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode. And until then, I always say, guys, guys finish.
Speaker 1: First NBC News on CACAA Lomela sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two, Protecting the Future of Working Families Teamsters nineteen thirty two, dot.
Speaker 9: Org, NBC News Radio. I'm Jim Rook. President Trump says no one will control the Straight of Four Moves. During his Cabinet meeting at the White House today, he dismissed a question about reports that a proposed deal would allow Iran and Oman to control the waterway, assisting it's an international waterway, and he says he's not satisfied yet with the deal proposed by Iran. An ice detention center in New Jersey is once again the side of protests.
Speaker 10: Video shows protesters at times blocking vehicles, while ICE agents are seen pushing protesters and using pepper spray and batons on them outside Delaney Hall. New Jersey Congressman Robert Menendez Junior is accusing ICE of putting detainees in poor conditions.
Speaker 5: They have tried to shift the focus into what is happening out here because they watch the attention away from all the conditions inside.
Speaker 10: Secretary of Homeland Security Mark Wayne Mullen denies subpar conditions inside, and he calls the protest a political stunt by New Jersey sanctuary politicians in New Jersey, I'm Scott Springolm.
Speaker 9: The judge's declining jail for the teen accused of killing his stepsister of Border Caribbean carnival cruise. The federal judge in Miami ruling today the sixteen year old can continue to live with his paternal uncle as long as he has a GPS tracker. He's facing federal charges of murder and aggravated sexual abuse in the death of eighteen year old Anna Kepner. His parents have distanced themselves from him since the murder, and the eighteen year old suspect wanted for a pre prompt deadly mass shooting at Tennessee is now in custody. Dequarius Lax is accused of shooting seven people during a pre prompt picture gathering at a local park May eighth, in the city of Brownsville. A seventeen year old girl was shot to death while.
Speaker 6: Six others suffered injuries.
Speaker 9: First haunted virus, then he bowled a Now dangay fever and here in the US. The CDC says dange fever cases are skyrocketing. In America, the mosquito born illness, which was once confined to the Tropics, surged three hundred and fifty nine percent over the usual yearly average in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Jim Roop NBC News Radio.
Speaker 7: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs and various industries throughout the Inland Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 7: That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 9: A new symbol of American pride is about to hit your pocket.
Speaker 11: The US Mint says a special quarter honoring the nation's two hundred and fiftieth birthday will enter circulation in June. It's part of the semiqu centennial celebration marking two and a half centuries of American independence. The coins can be purchased directly through the US Men's website and will start showing up in banks and cash registers nationwide next month.
Speaker 9: I'm MONAA Nelson, the civil rights leader who helped Martin Luther King Junior write his I Have a Dream speech, has died.
Speaker 12: Clarence B. Jones was one of the organizers of the nineteen sixty three March on Washington, where King delivered his famous speech. Jones was recently the subject of a documentary called The Baddest Speechwriter in the World, which was co directed by NBA star Stephen Curry. Fellow civil rights activist Al Sharpton called Jones quote a brilliant strategist, lawyer, author, and philanthropist, and said many of us owe a great debt to Clarence Jones. Jones died Friday at his home in Coopertino, California. He was ninety five years old. I'm Tammy Truillo.
Speaker 9: Two US senators are unveiling bipartisan legislation aimed at reshaping college athletics. Senators Ted Cruz and Maria Kentwell are introducing the Protect College Sports Act. It would grant the NCDs limited anti trust protection tied to transfer rules, eligibility standards, and athlete compensation caps. The bill would establish a national name, image and Likeness standard, restrict most athletes to one unrestricted transfer, and limit agent fees to five percent. Lawmakers say the measures designed to curb what they describe as improper third party nil payments while protecting Olympic and women's sports from growing financial disparities. The legislation also seeks to prevent the creation of a college sports super league, though the bill faces a lengthy and uncertain path through Congress. The New York Next are in the NBA Finals and their opponent could be the defending champs, the Oklahoma City Thunder, who are one game away from the finals. Game six of the Western Conference Finals are tomorrow night against the Spurs. Jim Roup NBC News Radio.
Speaker 13: Hi, I'm Jason Byers, Democrat running to be your next state Assembly member. As a small business owner, I like you, am dealing with this skyrocketing cost of living. That's why when I'm in se Sacremento, I will fight to lower costs and tackle the affordability crisis. As a concerned member of this community, I will always fight against the attacks coming from the Trump administration. I'm Jason Byers BYO RS, and I would be honored to earn your vote for State Assembly.
Speaker 8: Paid for by the committee to were like Jason Byers California State Assembly of the District forty seven.
Speaker 14: KCIA The Stations that leave no listener behind. Join kcaa morning for an extra hour coffee with Stephanie Miller now from six to eight in the mornings, followed by Gary Garver's Control Chaos. Then at nine it's the Asian Oprah doctor Marissa Pay. At eleven, it's Randy Corgan in the Worker Power Hour. Then join KCIA every day for a brand new show. From noon to three, it's a new Jeff Santo Show. Don't forget Rick Smith either. The Rick Smith Show is now at five in the afternoon weekdays, followed by Tom Hartman KCAA. We're making progress and it gets more exciting every.
Speaker 2: Day ten fifty AM. Don't forget that number. And for you young people who got here by accidentally fat fingering your FM band, select there. We're an AM radio station and AM refers to more than just the time of day.
Speaker 8: Are you tired of a government you worry about?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 8: Vote for Donald Williamson for California's State Board of Equalization District one. Find out more about Donald Williamson at vote Donald Williamson dot com.
Speaker 15: With thirty five plus years experience, Williamson is a proven, dedicated public servant.
Speaker 4: Most of all, he's a tax saver.
Speaker 14: His priority is to protect seniors and retirees.
Speaker 16: As a former tax assessor of sam Bernardino County for three terms, he has a proven track record of helping people through difficult times.
Speaker 8: You'll rest easy with Donald Williamson in office. He'll protect social security, protect Medicare, protect California's homeowners, and protect mobile homeowners too.
Speaker 2: He served in the Marine Corps and he's a small business owner.
Speaker 15: Donald Williamson is used to defending people.
Speaker 2: He's a record tax saver.
Speaker 6: Elect Donald Williamson and relax.
Speaker 14: He's one of us and belongs to and personally donates to and is active in many nonprofits and community groups.
Speaker 8: Vote Donald Williamson dot com. That's vote Donald Williamson dot com paid for by the committee to were like Donald Williams and California State Border Equalization District One.
Speaker 17: Play your way at the La County Fair May seven through the thirty first in joy Life music, interactive exhibits, farm animals, carnival rights and games. Don't miss out on the food on a stick, deep fried and smothered in chocolate.
Speaker 4: The Fair is.
Speaker 17: Transforming into La County's biggest playground. There's no wrong way to play at the La County Fair. Buy your tickets online and save at Lacountyfair dot com.
Speaker 2: CASEAA Loma Linda your CNB see news station where your business comes first.
Speaker 16: How you doing this is Gary Garver. In today's society, the majority of people are not getting enough sleep.
Speaker 15: I know I'm not.
Speaker 16: If you're like me and having problems getting a good night's rest, whether it's health or stress related, I have a solution for you.
Speaker 15: South Pacific Sleep Lab.
Speaker 16: South Pacific Sleep Lab will do an evaluation of your sleep pattern and will provide a comprehensive.
Speaker 15: Study so you can start getting a RESTful, peaceful not asleep.
Speaker 16: They take all types of insurance which will cover your cost of the evaluation, and they will even provide transportation to their offices at no cost to you. For more information, contact Tony at three one zero nine nine nine one eight eight seven. That's three one zero nine nine nine one eight eight seven. Tony even stays awake all night, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, so you can sleep better and rest easy.
Speaker 15: South Pacific Sleep Lab. Start feeling better and in a great night of sleep today.
Speaker 8: This segment sponsored by our friends at the All News. Sammy's Restaurant. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa at Exit eighty eight off the ten Freeway, next to the Jack in the Box in the former Bob's Big Boy Restaurant. Not to name drop, but Sammy's in the former Bob's is a lot like Norms. It has an extensive menu with multiple restaurants in rialto in places like Upland and Ranchukumonga. Sammy's is a great place to dine. Their menu is very similar with their American trio of delicious steak, shrimp and chicken and an expansive menu. You won't go hungry and you won't go broke. At Sammy's you can come meet Sammy and his family. Sammy was a chief cook for Norms for years and it shows in his menu. Sammy's is a great place to meet the family, friends, or have a community meeting. You can ask about their private meeting room available for parties of fifteen or more on a first come, first serve basis. Sammy's is now open from six am to nine pm every day. At five point forty Sandal would drive off of Exit eighty eight at the ten Freeway in Kalamesa. Looked for the Big Boy statue. It's still there. We thank Sammy for returning to this station as a loyal sponsor. You can find more info about Sammy's at Sammy'scafe dot net. That's Sammy'scafe dot net. Well. You can also find discount coupons to save money. And by the way, Sammy's has free Wi Fi too. Sammy's and Kalamesa Raalto but one of their other locations are ready to serve you. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa. There's nothing better than turning on the radio and listening to an old song, unless, of course, it's grabbing a local newspaper, a cup of coffee and thumbing through the pages of the latest news, views, opinions, and entertainment. Now that's living.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 8: I'm Mark Westwood. I'm the general manager of a few area radio stations like KQLH ninety two point five FM, NBC Radio, KCAA, KFXXAM ninety four point one FM, and a great friend and supporter of X ninety five point seven FM. It's my pleasure to welcome some new neighbors.
Speaker 6: To our area.
Speaker 8: A big welcome to Steve's trick Mine and Times Local Meatia. You know them, newspapers with a tradition of local community involvement, supporting a great quality of life, and of course delivering very important local news weekly right here in your own backyard. Familiar and reliable friends like the Beaumont and Banning Paper, The Record Gazette, the Fontana Herald, the Ukaipa Kalamson News Mirror, and the Redlands Community News Times local media putting the local in news. They serve each individual area with their own newspapers and a great brand of local news made just for your community. The newest of these papers, the Redlands Community News, is open for business and continues to deliver weekly. Check out their latest edition coming this Friday and each and every Friday Happily ever after. Find out where you can find your local news at Redlands Communitynews dot com. And congratulations to their new editor and longtime friend, Rachel Gustuson, who has been assigned as editor of both the Yukaipa News Mirror and the Redlands Community News. The Redlands Community News your local news just.
Speaker 15: The way you like it.
Speaker 18: There's never been a better time for men to be whoever they want to be. Yet it's never been less clear who men really are. Guys Guy Radio, starring author Robert Manny, is on casey AA every Wednesday at eight pm. Whether it's relationships, sex, wellness, or spirituality, join Robert as he interviews the experts about how men and women can be at their best. Guys Guy Radio, Better Men, Better worldps.
Speaker 2: Hey you yeah you do? You know where you are? Well, you've done it. Now you're listening to casey AA Loma Linda, your CNBC news station, so expect the unexpected.
Speaker 6: Alright, we're back. We used to work a power hour with Brandy Corgan on the team.
Speaker 12: Shirts Local nineteen thirty