Speaker 1: Imagine someone asks you to test out a brand new roller coaster and help make it even better. What would you change? Bigger drops, faster turns, more loops. Now, imagine the person they asked was actually afraid of roller coasters. What would the new roller coaster look like? Then? Well, we're about to find out in today's story called roller coaster tester. Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Hello, ol, story time is really not a boring time. Rabbi, stand and you'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Follow the whole storyline. Hello, ol story time?
Speaker 2: Might you laugh at least one time?
Speaker 3: All story time?
Speaker 1: This is the story of that lousy, miserable, no good summer carnival and all of its lousy, miserable, no good rides. Well that was so Daphne felt about it. Anyway, Every summer when the carnival rolled into town, all the other kids would cheer, yay the carnivals here, best week of the whole summer. Daphne, however, couldn't think of a single nice thing to say about it. And since she'd been taught that if you can't say anything nice, you shouldn't say anything at all, she simply pretended she never learned that lesson and said all kinds of lousy, miserable, no good things instead. Can you believe these people coming to our town with their roller coasters and their Fairess wheels like anyone would care? And how has no one notified the police about the bumper cars? Since when is it okay to crush into other people's cars on purpose? But the kids in Daphne's town liked riding on roller coasters and ferris wheels, and Sergeant Jeffries of the police department love nothing more than taking his daughter on the bumper car ride. The bigger issue, of course, was that when the carnival was in town, there was no one around to play with. Sorry Daphne, my parents are letting me spend the entire day at the carnival today. Sorry Daphne, I've saved enough money to buy a garbage bag full of cotton candy, and you probably don't want to be around me after I get through all of that.
Speaker 3: Sorry Daphne. I know I was just there yesterday and the day before yesterday and the day before the day before yesterday, But it's crucial that I go today tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow and the day after the day after tomorrow, and so for Daphne, the worst week of summer also happened to be the loneliest.
Speaker 1: Even her parents always seem to be busy that week, Dad, can you play with me?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Sorry, kidd Oh, I'm doing this thing later. It's kind of hard to explain a lot of ups and downs. Ah, Dad, even you like going on roller coasters? Why does everyone like these annoying rides so much? It hadn't made any sense to Daphne last summer or the summer before that, and it probably wasn't going to make any sense to her this summer either. Except this summer, Daphne had a plan this summer. There wasn't going to be a carnival. Well there was. Daphne was just planning on pretending there wasn't. If everyone else wanted to spend a whole week talking about roller coasters and cotton candy, fine, Daphnie was going to act like the carnival didn't exist. Oh did someone just say something about the carnival. That's weird. I couldn't hear.
Speaker 2: And what was that?
Speaker 1: No one is going to be around for the next seven days. Well that's okay, I'm not going to be around for the next week either. But that's when Daphne was told she was too young to travel by herself. Oh, mom, what do you mean I can't fly to Paris? It's twenty twenty six. Aren't most kids traveling around the world by themselves by now? And Daphne couldn't even walk to the library without someone stopping her to talk about the carnival. So much for trying to pretend the whole thing didn't exist.
Speaker 2: You there, person who looks like a kid, have you heard about the carnival that's coming to your town?
Speaker 1: Carnival? What carnival? There's no carnival coming to town. Daphne felt this was the most ridiculous question to ever be asked. Of course, she had heard of the carnival. Who hadn't. You must be talking about the carnal worst thing about Summerval. Yeah, I've heard of it. Wish I hadn't. Daphne didn't know it yet, but the person asking was none other than one of the carnival's top organizers. Kid, are you telling me you don't like the carnival? You're a kid and you don't like the carnival? Are you sure you're not a grown up who just looks like a kid. Daphnie was already feeling so over with this conversation. Ma'am, I've got a library to get to. Gonna need a lot of books to read over the next week since I'm not allowed to fly to Paris. The carnival organizer pleaded with Daphne to stay. What have you helped us, the woman asked. Our job is to build a carnival that kids can't wait to come back to. So if there's a kid out there who doesn't like it.
Speaker 2: I want to know why.
Speaker 1: Daphnie had always said this carnival needed help. She'd just figured that helped looked like a one way ticket to the moon, the part of the moon where people sit around all day talking about toenails. So you're saying you want my help. Huh, Well, i'll help you, but only if you're ready to make some pretty big changes. You're gonna need to be willing to turn your carnival uh into a carnal. Yeah. The organizer said she was prepared to do whatever it would take, so she invited Daphne to where the carnival was being set up, even though the carnival still didn't open for several days some of the rides were still under construction when they arrived. Welcome to this year's carnival, said the organizer. Of course, it will look a lot better after everything has fully been put together, and hopefully, with your help, it will be our best looking carnival. Yet. Let's start with our most popular ride, the roller coaster. The organizer expected Daphne to suggest keeping this ride the same. Didn't all kids love riding the roller coaster? Or From the moment Daphne got strapped into her seat, all she did was complain. First the seat wasn't comfortable enough, Then the safety harness was too harnessy. But things really went downhill once the ride started moving. Roller Coaster operators were used to hearing screams. That was kind of the whole point. Roller coasters were suppose to be thrilling, maybe even a little terrifying. Usually those were happy screams. The ones echoing out of Daphne's cart sounded like the world was coming to an end.
Speaker 2: Get me off of this thing.
Speaker 1: What are you trying to do to me? I'm gonna call the police on you. This thing deserves to be in roller coaster jail. Daphne's hair was sticking straight up. When she got off the ride, she knelt down to kiss the ground and stayed there for a moment longer until the dizzeyness passed. Soon began the organizer. I'm guessing we have some changes to make? Do we some changes? Said Daphne. We need to make all the changes. That ride was terrible. What was the point in going all the way up to the top only to come racing back down again? And those loop to loops in spiral turns? Like what were you trying to have me lose my lunch? The organizer took out a notepad and started writing all of this down. Daphne gave her plenty of ideas on how to make the roller coaster better. See this, this is the kind of feedback we're looking for, Daphne. We want this to be something every kid looks forward to. The next ride was the Faires Wheel. Daphne looked offended even being asked to try this one, a great big wheel, Like, seriously, didn't you know the wheel was invented by a caveman? Like, let's go with the times already, we can do better than a wheel. She also suggested the Pirate Ship ride would be a lot better if instead of swinging back and forth, it just didn't swing at all. And the tiltal world certainly didn't do it for her. That thing was far too tilty and much too whirly. She also had plenty to say about the Merry go Round. Those fake horses really needed to chill out a little bit. Well, Daphne, you've given us a lot to think about today. My team and I are going to be up all night figuring out how to use your ideas to make this year's carnival even better. Thank you, Daphne. We can't wait to see what you think on opening day, just three days away. Remember, Daphne remembered, all right, it was all anyone ever talked about. But now, for the first time ever, she couldn't stop talking about it either. After all, she just helped turn the world's most boring carnival into what was surely going to be the greatest carnival ever. Three more days until the carnival. Everyone, did you know that? Have you heard about it? Have you marked it on your calendars? Make sure to invite your cousins, your neighbors, your neighbors cousins, and if your dentist has neighbors or cousins, invite them too. The carnival is coming. The carnival is coming. No one was used to hearing things like this from Daphne. Wasn't she usually the one telling everyone the carnival had decided to skip their town and head straight to the moon. Daphne, does this mean you're actually going to the carnival this year? Daphne looks shocked that someone would even ask, friend, tell me, do birds have wings? Do trees have leaves? Is butter the only acceptable thing to put on your pasta? The answer to all those questions, of course, is yes. Even if I wake up with the world's worst stomach bug, I'll be there. Her friend grimaced. Yeah, I don't think roller coasters and stomach bugs are a really great combination. I think we'd all appreciate if you just stayed home. Luckily, for everyone, Daphne hadn't had a stomach bug in nearly three years. On opening day, Daphne was the first person to line up for the carnival. And don't any of you even think about trying to cut in front of me. I've been waiting here since four in the morning. When the gates finally opened, Daphne couldn't decide where to start first. Everything looked so enticing. She was about to walk over to the bumper cars when a few of her friends grabbed her by the arm and led her over to the roller coaster. Unfortunately, there was a big sign telling them that the roller coaster was closed. Turns out they needed a few extra days to finish getting it ready. Daphne had a feeling she knew why her new roller coaster would be worth the wait. Her friends led her over to the Teltal World. I love this ride, one of them cheered. I love how dizzy makes me feel. No one was feeling dizzy after riding on this tiltal whirl. In fact, calling it a tiltal whirl felt a little dishonest, and neither tilted nor whorled. It mostly just spun around in such slow circles you had to keep checking if it was actually moving. Daphne loved it, her friends not so much. Well, I think you guys are going to love the new Ferris wheel. But what was once a giant wheel that would lift you high into the sky was now just a triangle no larger than three feet high and sitting on the ground instead of going around and around. Kids were invited to climb or jump over the small triangle and get this, they could do it as many times as they wanted. For some reason, though, the lineup for this ride was very small.
Speaker 2: This has to be the most boring thing I've ever done. At least we know the bumper cars will be fun. The bumper cars may have been fun if the cars didn't automatically break every time became close to bumping into another car. Also, having airbags on these little toy cars really necessary. But the whole point of bumper cars is to bump into the other cars. It's like they've changed all.
Speaker 1: The riots here to make them for scaredy cats. That was the moment Daphne realized the truth. The carnival rides had never been the problem. Daphne had simply been scared of them. She was the scaredy cat. Not wanting her friends to realize she'd been the scaredy cat all along, Daphne joined right in on the complaining, Yeah, guys, totally, what a bunch of lame changes they've made here. Wait to ruin a good thing, Am I right? Daphne didn't want to be the reason the entire town stopped liking the carnival. She needed to find the organizer and make this right. Daphne, the organizer said, I was hoping i'd bump into you today. Oh sorry, not bump safely, come within close contact with you. Daphnie gave an awkward laugh. See, that's actually what I wanted to talk to you about. It turns out some of these changes maybe weren't the best idea. This time, it was the organizer who laughed, Daphne, did you know we've had more people through the gates today than ever before.
Speaker 2: It's a record.
Speaker 1: Everyone's talking about the new rides. I haven't yet heard what they've been saying, but I'm sure it's all been great. Daphne couldn't help but think that the only difference was that a certain scaredy cat had decided to show up this year. But miss, what if, let's say, all the people here decided not to come back tomorrow. As Daphne was saying this, she could hear a small child off in the distance complaining to his mother.
Speaker 2: This cotton candy taste like Grandma's boiled cabbage. How did they even manage to ruin the cotton candy too. The low sugar cotton candy recipe had seemed like a better idea a few days ago, Daphne said the organizer. I wouldn't be surprised if we have even more people here tomorrow. After all, tomorrow's the day we reveal your brand new roller coaster. Daphne had almost forgotten about that the carnival's most popular ride, and she had ruined that too. Daphney hurried to the one place she actually enjoyed spending time during Carnival week, the library. The library was great because I had books on just about everything, and once again it didn't disappoint. Daphne found a book all about the world's best roller coasters and began flipping through the pages. Every single one looked terrifying, but she reminded herself that that was the point. Roller coasters weren't supposed to be relaxing, they were supposed to be thrilling. As she studied each one, Daphne started making notes double loops, spiral turns, tracks that suddenly sent riders backwards. None of it looked like anything she'd want to ride, but for the first time, she could see why someone else might She hurried back to the carnival before it closed for the day, and marched over to the workers who were putting the finishing touches.
Speaker 1: On the roller coaster. Hey, team, so I'd just like to show you a few small modifications I need you to make before tomorrow. Daphne showed the worker the diagram of the new and improved roller coaster. Kid, there's no way we can do all of that before tomorrow. Besides, this is what the organizer has asked us to build. Apparently this is the kind of riots kids are into this year. Daphne stared at the flat track. The only time it went up was over a tiny little humpet, but the size of a basketball. The turns were wide, the twists were gone. Even a baby would have been yawning on this thing. Oh boy, said Daphne. This town's not going to be happy when they come back tomorrow. The carnival's ruined, and it's all my fault. Daphne could already hear the groans. The organizer thought she'd built the perfect roller coaster, but there was nothing thrilling a better roller coaster that barely coasted. That night, while lying in bed, Daphne took another look through the roller coaster books she'd borrowed from the library. If only she'd thought to give the organizer a few of these ideas she got to help make this the best carnival. Just then, Daphne's little brother suddenly popped up beside her bed, whant to see.
Speaker 2: A cool trick. I can touch my nose with my tongue. Well, not all the way, but I can get about halfway there, pretty close, right, dude, Daphne jumped, Why did you creep up on me like that?
Speaker 1: You scared me? Daphne froze. Wait, you just scared me. A grin spread across her face. That's it, That's exactly what this roller coaster needs. Her little brother slowly lowered his tongue. You're weird, you know that. Daphne raced over to her desk, swiped everything onto the floor with one giant swipe of her arm, grabbed a pencil, and started sketching a new idea. In the morning, Daphne was the first in line once again. She smiled when she saw how many people had come back for day two. She also knew that if her plan didn't work, there might not be many people coming back for day three. Even though she was first through the gates, Daphne gave up her seat on the roller coaster for someone else enjoy the ride. She called. The passengers were already complaining, this thing looks different from last year's roller coaster. Yeah, another kid muttered, it looks boring. Just you eight, Daphne whispered to herself. The ride started moving forward, very very slowly. More groans could be heard from the passengers. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, a giant gorilla leaped out beside the track. Well, not an actual gorilla, it was Daphne wearing a gorilla costume. One of the riders glanced over and yawned. Daphne wasn't worried. This was only the beginning. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a tiny remote. With the press of a button, spooky ghost sounds began playing through a hidden speaker under one of the roller coaster seats. Unfortunately, everyone just assumed it was somebody's ring tone. Can whoever's phone that is please turn it off? One of the riders groaned, it's making it harder to fall asleep on this boring ride. Daphne frowned. She was about to move on to her third scare tactic when she remembered she didn't have a third scare tactic. She had really been expecting more from the gorilla costume. Well, she sighed, I guess that's it. Then Carnival ruined. But when she looked back up, she could see the expressions on the people's faces had changed. These were the faces of people having an actual thrill ride. She then realized why the roller coaster was heading straight toward an unfinished section of the track. Oh no, she exclaimed, I have to help these people. Without time to change out of the gorilla suit, Daphne ran over to the unfinished part of the track. She only had seconds to do something. Time to harness the power of gorilla strength, she said with great confidence. She then put herself in the path of the ride and pushed with all her might to stop the carts before they reached the gap in the track. It probably helped that the roller coaster was moving at roughly the same speed as a turtle. Daphne smiled. She had saved the day, or so she thought. As soon as she moved out of the way, the passengers began rocking the cart toward the gap. They fell through the opening and down to the ground, which was actually no more than a two foot drop down to the soft, grassy landing below. Before Daphne could check to see if everyone was okay, she heard people cheering from their seats. Oh yeah, that was the best ending to a roller coaster I've ever seen. Well thrill. The roller coaster operator came rushing over. Oh my goodness, I'm so glad everyone's okay. We followed the plans to a tee, but it was almost like the whole thing was designed by a kid. The organizer had also come over, and it was assuring everyone the roller coaster would be safely fixed at once, but Daphne told her not to bother. Ma'am. Everything I told you was the opposite of what a good ride should be. The slow, gentle rides might be fine for me, but they're not very exciting for everyone else. The organizer wanted this to be a carnival for everyone. Well, maybe we need both kinds of rides, some for the little scaredy cats like you and some for everyone else. But as far as the cotton candy, I think we should just stick with the normal kind. I tasted some of that other stuff, and it really did taste like boiled cabbage. Once again, Daphne told the organizer not to bother ma'am, even though the wimpy rides are better for me. I just don't think I'm really much of a carnival person, and that's okay. I have other things I like doing, like hanging out of libraries and designing new rides. I've already got some awesome roller coaster diagrams to show you for next year's festival, totally thrilling stuff, you know, for the weirdos that are into that sort of thing. The organizer frowned. Next year, Oh, I'm sorry to say, but due to a scheduling conflict, we've had to skip your town next year. The organizer was surprised us, Daphne looking so happy. Wait to go, lady, You're finally taking your carnival to the Moon. That's fantastic. Those Moon people are absolutely gonna.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 3: The end.
Speaker 1: That's the story. And for your question of the week, how could I not ask what your favorite ride is? Thanks to Daphne and showed out to Ava and Owen from Washington State, Asha from Indianapolis, Indiana, Wayne Collins from Dubai, Jordan, Chase and Jackson with an ex from San Juan, Puerto Rico, Leonora from Liverpool, Claire and Wit from Atlanta, Georgia, Hobian Miles from Washington, Roomy and Marlowe from Dubai, and Addie from Vancouver Island. Thanks so much for listening and I'll catch you on the next one.