Speaker 1: Kind of knew that. It's funny. I talked about this yesterday with coach Gonzales, talking about trying to keep players and hoping not to lose players. Isaiah Johnson was one of the guys. They mentioned that he had really had a good spring. Well now goodbye, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can these guys find places like so quickly now too well?
Speaker 1: I think to your point, if you can remember what Goldman Goodman said real quick, if you remember some of the numbers basketball, but still this is that, I'll tell you the significance of the transfer. Three thousand, four thousand people in the portal, then there's two thousand left. What happens when they're not picked up, right.
Speaker 2: That's what happens is exactly their careers might be over. They got nowhere to go, or they got to to try to walk on someplace. It's it's really everything's kind of in disarray, sure not organized.
Speaker 1: You might think you're a pretty good player, but it's not about you thinking that. It's about the team trying to get you to go play with them or for them.
Speaker 3: Duke's Cooper flag confirms he's entering the NBA Draft.
Speaker 1: That was yesterday. I think they're trying to get somebody from cal or. Some people were talking about maybe the cow Cow guy would be a good fit at Duke.
Speaker 2: At Duke, yeah, guard, all the three of those great freshmen are gone, gone, right, So and there's one more right, the one from Africa. I'm not sure what he's gonna do, the big guy. Yeah, so I don't know. That's you know, that's called basketball. In twenty twenty five, Santo, where's where do you think Cooper Flag is gonna wind up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He's gonna be the number one lottery thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, top three odds are New Orleans, Washington and Charlotte, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it goes back to Duke. He pulls Johnny Alway, I'm not gonna go play there.
Speaker 2: Telling me he's not you know what's he gonna get? They said, who was was I listening to yesterday? Something like you know his nil number could be around eleven million?
Speaker 1: Oh if you went back and yeah, Well the funny thing that's funny because you get it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The funny thing about it is there's somebody either putbore or basketball. Maybe there's football. There's going to pay about three million dollars and I'm thinking, what's the point You've been going to the NFL at all three million? Are you? Are you especially just because you know, do you want to go to class? You know, but you've been in this basin alone time? Are you? I don't know? Are you okay with it? Are you comfortable with all this stuff going on? I mean, it's not that I'm indifferent. I'm like, holy crap, this is what our world has come to, and I'm not sure I feel good about it. I don't feel bad about it, but I don't feel good about it. Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I don't know either. I guess we just have to kind of experience it for a couple of years and see how we can evaluate it.
Speaker 2: Because it's also new with this, especially with the huge money and the money they're going to be getting right off this, you know, this house agreement, and on top of that with Nil, you know, his rookie contract is going to probably I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: I forget what it's slotted.
Speaker 2: It's going to be huge, but seriously, he could probably get something similar if he wants to stay in college for another year.
Speaker 5: Who knows.
Speaker 3: Anthony Edwards find fifty k for language gesture towards fan.
Speaker 1: I saw that, Did you see that? It was kind of it was it was guys being stupid with the fans. I get the fans who are paying in the ass. Yeah, but what he did was probably uncalled for fifty five bucks to you and me.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So they played tonight, right, so they're playing the Lakers. Yeah, yeah, the Lakers. That was kind of a rough performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know. They need to win that obviously to stay in the series.
Speaker 3: After fielding trade offers, Titans say they'll pick at number one.
Speaker 2: Okay, cam Ward h most likely the quarterback from Miami used to be at Wazoo, Right.
Speaker 5: That's the guy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Cleveland Browns and New York Giants are fielding trade in choirs for their early picks in the NFL Draft. They're lurking at offers.
Speaker 1: Where do they pick? I know the Giants are pretty high up.
Speaker 3: There, right, two and three?
Speaker 1: I believe, Yeah, good luck with that. The Giants have been a disaster and they're coaching GM or this is there talking about being on the hotspot. So funny think about it is these teams that don't have a lot of success, there's a reason. They're just consistently bad, made bad decisions. The Giants, there's a there's you can just name a few of them.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys had a chance here, if you even watch these things, Like Hard Knocks. Off season was last year, so they did like a week, they did maybe a month of shows, and they did the Giants and they were you know, it was kind of fun to watch it because it was all leading up to the draft.
Speaker 1: It was the Barkley stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the trade and literally being traded on this show. It was pretty cool to watch that. And you know, well, okay, you know the owner, uh, one of the Mara guys, uh, you know that family has owned the team for one hundred years, and he was, you know, just contemplating, like, guys, just can't believe we're doing this and we're getting rid of you know, our most popular player and d D and they all make all these okay, let's just do it. Yeah, he goes and wins MVP and Super Bowl. But it was it was strange. I mean, they seemed like they knew what they were doing all they It was kind of cool that you could watch their because I'm sure this is all going on now. They're you know, all the scouts are talking to each other and they're trying to figure out we make a trade do we.
Speaker 1: Are we going to get what I've learned in this whole business after thirty forty years of doing this. Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you're smarter.
Speaker 2: What you do, right, especially at that though, right, I mean, there's these are the richest people in the country, some of these guys that own the you know, the Woody Johnson's of the world that own the Jets and teams like that. Yeah, I mean, they got to have some smarts and they got to have good people making decisions. And sure, you know, you start trading away your top players, like like a Saquan who's kind of in his prime. Yeah, yeah, and the running back position has kind of come back. They talk about this guy Genty from Boise State who's going to probably be in the top ten. You know that didn't happen like five years ago.
Speaker 1: Sure. Sure, In fact, are you aren't you a jet Yeah? You're a jetman. So and you're like your family's a diehard jet fan. Jet fans, Eh, my uncle is Okay, Well, what do you think just up the top of your head about that organization.
Speaker 3: It's very awful. It's an awful organization, feels like it's cursed. But hopefully with the new new GM and new coach it'll go.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they went after the quarterback. They wanted it right, and there's your curse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know. I like the Justin Fields pick up dun. I actually do, because I guess it fits the timeline more. But the Rogers experiment was awful.
Speaker 2: I've seen a Tamax name associated with the Jets pick too.
Speaker 1: God, who's you got? The receiver? They have, big tall guy, Garrett Wilson. Yeah, he's really good. Yeah, you know, so that would be an interesting compliment. Yeah, booking. You know, of course, Woody Johnson is an Arizona grad. You of your Jets, and no one has been able to tap that source here. It's not my problem anymore.
Speaker 3: Mike Patrick ESPN play by play voice for thirty six years. It passes away at eighty.
Speaker 1: Oh tell me, tell me, oh, Mike Patch, tell me what's which one was? Give me a photo here? He was like a dick by town. Yeah, it just let me I should know this. Yes, he's one of the original guys. Yeah, eighty years old, thirty six years he was one of they started seventy nine, I think because when they started, right he.
Speaker 2: When they started doing Sunday night football back in the day, he was the play by play games. Okay, so if you've watched ESPN over the years, you definitely know of him. But yeah, that's really sad. He was eighty. I say, I wanted to see a picture just to see.
Speaker 1: His last event on ESPN was twenty seventeen, so he's been gone for a little bit. But still, well, the originals. You look at Corso and I remember Boy Tell in seventy nine doing it with his big glasses. Remember, yeah, those huge glasses that he hadn't.
Speaker 2: He worked him with him at the ACC Championships thirty years so, I mean he was on all the time college basketball and college football.
Speaker 1: So that's that's a big loss. He was a good one.
Speaker 3: Milwaukee Bucks star Damian Lillard will make his return tonight for Game two against Indiana Pacers after dealing with a blood clot. That's I lined him for over a month. League sources tell.
Speaker 1: What what the games in Indie or is it Milwaukee?
Speaker 3: It's in Indie, and then the next two are in Milwaukee, okay, and the piecers are up one nothing correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that's gonna be the game starting out. That's five zip.
Speaker 1: But are you obey? Oh no, already that game? Okay? Do you have an update with the basement softball game? No, but I'll get it for you. You're in your trusty handy daddy. What else you got?
Speaker 3: Computer stars win, absolute ot thriller.
Speaker 1: They moved. I moved. I don't want hockey. I like two percent of my life, one percent of my life, and I switched it over to it Dallas. I think it was Dallas. The late game. Yeah, the late game.
Speaker 2: I went to sleep Overranded. That's the Dave Silver Curse. It was still in overtime. I was getting but I didn't watch another game. The first game was within scoring the game winner. It's the first time he's ever scored an overtime game winner after all all these seasons.
Speaker 1: So that was kind of fun, okay.
Speaker 3: Simon Bias. Simone Biles says she's unsure about competing in the twenty twenty eight Olympics in Los Angeles. She says, for me to come back, it would really have to excite me. So she'll be in the Olympics. Yeah, who knows. You know, her endorsements. I'm sure she's making zillions off of that. So is that approaches she's married to a football player. Place for the Bears? I think still Yeah. Jerry Jones says Cowboys are working on pretty substantive trades.
Speaker 1: The Cowboys they need a lot of help. Yeah, they need a lot of help. Sorry to see. Well, they picked up Trey Lance. Oh much.
Speaker 2: That's gonna shock the world. I know who else. It's made a few deals. They more than thirty seven million dollars in salary cap space. It says they've got room to room to grow.
Speaker 1: Since nineteen ninety six, Has there been any almost thirty years ago? You're you were thirty five years the last time they won the Super Bowl. Gosh, was I at that game? And one was it was in Peas So I was there? Were you there?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: I was not. I was covering. I was on the road.
Speaker 2: It was in basketball, I was there, it was it was Yeah, it sun Devil Stadium. I set literally and outside the zone, no upper deck, end zone, maybe two roads from the top of the stadium. I could barely see it was it a special area for media. Yeah, that was the overflowing section. But it was great.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 2: So that was Barry Switzer, right, because Jimmy it was Barry Switzer's team said, Troy, was it Berry Switzer Smith?
Speaker 1: Yep, okay, pretty sure. And then Jimmy took over later.
Speaker 2: No, I think Jimmy had already left left maybe, Okay, I don't remember the tiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we were up there. I think we're up there all week. Remember it was so informal in those years too, because like Media Day now, like they had these like media nights.
Speaker 2: Where you know, all players are brought in. Back in those days, players were like sitting up in the stands. Hey it's Dion Sanders, it's you know, it's Emma Smith, Michael Lurvian.
Speaker 1: Memorable or not memorable. I remember those. Yeah, So you remember what was the best part of it.
Speaker 2: Just just that I mean we were so you know, it's like you basically just planted yourself in the in the stands and the players would come up and I think maybe they had a little marker with their.
Speaker 5: Name on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to go to the Troy Aikman spot and you just sat there and he come over and.
Speaker 1: So what I did? I remember for the Citizen, they sent a couple of people up to the Super Bowl. I was on the road with the team they shipped me to. I think they played Oregon and Washington. So from there I went to Vegas and I spent the day in Vegas for Super Bowl Sunday and interviewed people from there talking about the game. Yeah, yeah, I liked my U signment better than actually going to the game.
Speaker 2: I don't remember even much about, Like I remember Diana Ross performing. I mean things like that just kind of a stick in your memory. Like what she they flew her in a helicopter. No wait, I got that wrong. They flew her out in a helicopter. So like she sings her last song and this helicopter is hovering over the stage and there's some rope comes down and she's so good they take her out.
Speaker 1: Spider Man's great. Cool cool.
Speaker 3: Kirk Cousins is in attendance on the first day of the Atlanta Falcons voluntary off season program, while he was not expected to be present. According to the head coach, Raheem Morris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cool cool, because they're gonna go with what's his name?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay it that is it for today's breaking case.
Speaker 1: Anything else you have? You have the so you have the soccer score, I don't have me a soccer softball score. I'll get it for you before, okay, before we go, because we can just take a break here after after that's what Pacers twelve, Milwaukee eight early in the first quarter. Uh and the softball score d Dad Jeopardy. So that's fine. I'll get it for it eventually here okay, and we're gonna go and talk to mister Scott I think his last name with Garman, who's going to have a going to be part of a big event here in November with the big marathon. We'll talk about how why they decided on Tucson. There's I guess there's two places, Toledo and Tucson gonna have a big marathon you to the Tucson area. What was what was decided when they decided to come here? You ready to go? We'll just go. We can come back with that. You got it, I don't have it. Okay, let's go. We'll take a break here, come back and get a hold of mister Elliott.
Speaker 9: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus spots just after this nationwide keyword on our website. Check check that's check answer it now Box Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 10: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 7: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 10: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson. Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki Try?
Speaker 11: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 11: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect with type, color and style, and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about Derontle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel from my driveway, so I called Eric at Doronto Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kimm'call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 12: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from Pima College. Downtown campus or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with un notice.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 14: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from rare fines to the latest releases Showtimecards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 12: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen, route sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 7: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 5: Why is mining so important.
Speaker 6: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society.
Speaker 5: Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why.
Speaker 6: Every society on this planet has developed rome and Autois to based solely on the inter rules of a process.
Speaker 5: That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 1: GUNNYBYBM dot com.
Speaker 11: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one stop warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 1: You'll find it all here.
Speaker 11: At the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, Our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 9: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteenth finding I want to take part in the show Call up Steam now went five, two oh four, one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to I'm the Ball here on Fox Sports Fortune fifty. I'm Si Bavera. In with me Today's Dave Silver. We got Kobe at the controls here and we're just gonna wait here for mister Elliot Scott from Garbin. We got a little ahead of time, so he'll be calling any second now. Is he calling it? Yeah? Elliott? Is this you? This is great John fine, Thank you. Great to hear from me. Are you in town? Are you at your headquarters?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 15: No, I got into Tucson today actually, so okay.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, fantastic. I'm sure you've been here at time or two, given that you've chosen Tucson to be one of your sites for an upcoming big event.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 15: The Garmin Marathon Series team has been here several times.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 15: We wanted to, you know, to see the potential routes in person, get a feel for the city. We actually looked at over two dozen different US cities before selecting Tucson as one of our first locations for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: What did you see here? Why? Here? Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think it's several things.
Speaker 15: You know, Tucson has a really vibrant running community, so we knew that it was going to be, you know, a place that already has a really strong running culture.
Speaker 5: And then the aesthetics, right, it's just gorgeous here.
Speaker 15: I mean this course for the full marathon, you know, it takes you into the desert, it takes you through the city, you see so much. And then of course the local partners, you know, working with Run Tucson, Southern Arizona road Runners, just knowing that we had the local support and buy in to make sure that this is a really special and successful event.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. The one thing about Tucson, it'll embrace these things. If they really turn out really well, it'll tour to Tucson. This is a new one, and this is going to be right before then.
Speaker 15: I'll tour right in November, that's right, Yeah, Saturday, November fifteenth.
Speaker 5: It has a two day expo right before it.
Speaker 15: That's going to be really cool because it's not going to be your typical race expo. We're going to feature a lot of garment technology, not just in the running space, but in some of our other areas of focus. And then you know, race day on Saturday, followed by the finish line festival, which is just kind of that epic party to celebrate runners and you know all they've.
Speaker 5: Achieved that day.
Speaker 1: Where where will the race begin?
Speaker 15: Yeah, so we're looking it'll it'll start in downtown Okay, so you know, kind of congress Alameda area. We haven't released the course yet. It's finalized, but until it's certified, because the full marathon is going to be a Boston qualifying course, we don't want to release it until it's one hundred percent certified. So we hope to have that done in the next several weeks because I know, I see it.
Speaker 5: On the comments on social media.
Speaker 15: You know, people really want to see the course, so we're excited to share that.
Speaker 1: And it opened today, right is that the registration started today yesterday.
Speaker 15: So registration started back back earlier in April. But this was just an opportunity for us to be here in person, to really meet with different groups and you know, help help get the word out because as we know, you know, this is something we want Tucson to celebrate.
Speaker 5: We we think it's super exciting.
Speaker 15: We've never produced our own large scale endurance races like this before, so it's you know, this is this is kind of groundbreaking for garment.
Speaker 2: Is there any ties with the University of Arizona since they've had a number of marathonors and pretty good distance runners in the year.
Speaker 1: Over the years have you worked with them?
Speaker 15: Yeah, Yeah, So University of Arizona is one of the stakeholder groups we're talking to. I mean, we're we're certainly very excited about the potentials that could come of, you know, working with them in different capacities and internationally.
Speaker 1: Are we talking about people coming from all over the world to this is that you're helping.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I think that's what's going to be really special about this Tucson race is we see this as a destination race, and Garment is a global company. You know some actually, you know, in some countries in Europe. I feel like, you know, Garman is a household name, even more so than in the US. And so what what what we think is that we're going to draw people nationally for sure, and then as as this race you know, continues to build its reputation, yeah, I think there's definitely the potential that this becomes an international draw.
Speaker 1: So I've kind of heard the rumblings of this happening over the last month or so, because you know, you know, everyone in this town kind of starts, you know, talking and stuff that this was you know, you know, how this is there enough time obviously, you got about seven months is it a ramp up? Is it a is it a quick turn? What is this? Yeah?
Speaker 15: I mean I think what's what's great about this is we have a team in place that has a lot of experience producing marathons and endurance events.
Speaker 5: So while while this is our.
Speaker 15: First time as a company building it from scratch, we have a crew of veterans who know how to do this inside and out. So we're not worried about the timeline. We know that we're going to execute something that's really special, you know, and we want people to walk away thinking two things. One, that was an incredible race. I'm so glad I decided to do that. And Two, Tucson is such a cool place. I can't wait to come back here again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And that's what the people like the county, the city visit to want to hear, right, Because they'll bring more people to the to the place.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's good to have a partner like I mean, I know some of the people who visit Tucson, I'm sure they're thrilled about this. This is this is kind of what they do is bring in events like this.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and and visit Tucson. They've been wonderful partners super helpful and you know having that again, having that local buy in, that's a key component to making this a successful event. So, and you know, one of the reasons we chose Tucson is one of our first locations.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say what percentage, Like you mentioned where people will be coming from, But do you think it's going to be saying maybe half will be from Arizona and the other half is gonna be literally from anywhere?
Speaker 1: And how big and how big of it? It's going to be huge for the economy? No, no, no, how big of a participation?
Speaker 5: How many?
Speaker 1: How many runners are we talking about?
Speaker 15: Yeah, we're we're looking at thousands of participants across the four distances, because it's not just the marathon, right, it's a five k, ten k half in full. So I mean, you know, we're hoping to get to close to ten thousand. We have a little wiggle room, right, it could be more, it could be a little less. But I think especially for year one, the focus is on execution, right. It has to be a super well run race, expo event, and then finish line festival after. So it's not about getting the biggest numbers year one. It's about creating the best experience so that the race continues to grow year after year.
Speaker 1: So when did this thing become the thought? The thought of it one and two maybe the reality of it, because like I said, there's only about seven months until the actual event.
Speaker 15: So this idea, our executive team has been kicking this around for a couple of years, and it really started with this idea of how do we celebrate runners and the sport of running.
Speaker 5: How do we do it.
Speaker 15: In a way that feels authentic and meaningful but also allows Garman to tell our story in a way we haven't been able to before. So the idea has been been, you know, in place for a while, and then I think last year was really when we kind of built this team and said, okay, let's go, like we're ready. We did our market research and started kind of executing on our end to make sure that we were ready for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Steve here is involved with altwur to TuS song, which is going to be the next week. It's going to be quite a month, right, going to be something right, and there's always something in November because the time of the year is fantastic, right, It's perfect and You'll start what time, like maybe seven in the morning or six in the morning, what time?
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, yeah, around seven am, you know, start with the full marathoners and then go you know.
Speaker 5: Half marathon ten k, five k yeah.
Speaker 15: I mean, you know, coming from the Midwest, being able to run in you know, low humidity weather.
Speaker 5: Like this is like a dream, honestly.
Speaker 15: So that's I mean, if you're looking for a November marathon or half marathon, I don't think you're going to be able to beat the race conditions for this.
Speaker 2: Is there because I'm thinking, like what New York is in October? Right, I mean, what other marathons are you competing with that time of year?
Speaker 15: So, uh, New York is typically in early November, so this I think this will be after New York. But you know, I think New York is New York, right. The World Majors are kind of their own thing. Those are list challenges for people. I think that you know, when you look at regionally and even nationally, this fits really well into the race calendar.
Speaker 5: Ood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you had a Tucson listed and Toledo listed. Is Toledo going to be somewhere in the summer ish?
Speaker 15: So Toledo's in September in mid September, so it'll be the first one of the series, and then Tucson will be the second one for twenty twenty five, and then we're looking at several more locations to kind of add to the portfolio for twenty six.
Speaker 1: What was the reaction from the county and from the visit Tucson when you initially brought this to the table.
Speaker 5: I think they were excited.
Speaker 15: I mean, I think, you know, they had a lot of questions, as they should, but I think that they see the vision, they see what this can become, what it could mean for Tucson, for the region, And what we've heard from a lot of people is that, you know, we're going to be doing things and kind of activating in a way that is really special and unique. And so I think there's a lot of excitement from from multiple organizations about you know, what this race will become.
Speaker 2: Tell us about some of the things you're thinking about outside of the race, But but that weekend, I mean concerts or what kind of other entertainment might be in Tucson.
Speaker 15: Then yeah, I mean we're we're looking at a lot of different options, you know, creating you know, cool experiences before the race, so that you know, that could be maybe a fun spin on you know, car bloating is kind of you know, standard thing for marathon.
Speaker 5: So you know, how can we how can we create.
Speaker 15: Kind of a local you know dinner before the race that incorporates local restaurants and and you know allows people to get a feel for Tucson. Yeah, I mean activating along the course, right, bringing in local bands, musicians, and then doing some unexpected stuff that that really gets people, you know, hyped up and excited at different points through the course.
Speaker 5: You know, we're we're looking at a lot of.
Speaker 15: Different things, and I think that's what's so exciting is that, you know, garman Is has a lot of runners in the company, which I'm sure is no surprise. But so what we've done is we've sat like kind of this core group down and said, okay, let's just like imagine her talk about what you think the coolest marathon would have. And so we've got all those ideas on paper and now it's just a matter of you know, seeing.
Speaker 5: Which ones we choose to execute this year.
Speaker 15: So you know, really thinking about how do we go beyond the standard race offerings? And create something that's memorable, special, that kind of brings that magic and makes people want to do it next year.
Speaker 1: In fact, Dave, you asked me whether you're going to run it. I look like you send me a picture that you are a runner. I know you're in the house. Are you going to be running or are you going to be working?
Speaker 15: I'll be working. Yeah, that's that's the hardest part.
Speaker 5: Especially.
Speaker 15: I was driving the the course earlier today and I was like, oh my gosh, if only I could run this.
Speaker 5: So so maybe year two.
Speaker 15: They'll you know, they'll give me the day off and I'll get a run it. But you know, working a marathon is such a fun, fun experience, and that's you know, another opportunity we have for community engagement. We're going to need hundreds of volunteers in different capacities, some at the expo, some at the finish line, and then you know, people at aid stations along the course. So it's it's going to be a really cool opportunity I think for Tucson to be a.
Speaker 5: Part of it.
Speaker 15: And you know, we want to make sure that we're giving back to the community, and so one of the ways we're doing that is we're exploring what's a charitable partnership that makes sense, you know, how can we get back to the community in a meaning full way. So, you know, and I think we're very open to suggestions. You know, we've asked a lot of our local stakeholders what they think. But you know, more more on kind of those community engagement opportunities in the weeks and months to.
Speaker 1: Come, because my attention spent is not very good using that as my excuse. So how many of these have you guys put on? Or is this you're just trying to this now?
Speaker 15: Yeah, no, this is this is the first first year we've done this. We've sponsored events large and small all over the world, so we've seen, you know, a ton of of really cool race events, a lot of best practices. But we think by creating the event from scratch, it gives us the freedom to do things we could just never do within a conventional sponsorship.
Speaker 1: So Toledo will be the number one. Toled will be the first one.
Speaker 15: Yep, Toledo will be one, Toson will be the second, and then we'll be adding more cities in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: As far as media coverage, Steve and I again both come out of the media world. Are we going to see like international reporters here. Is this that type of event you think?
Speaker 15: I mean, I think we're certainly pitching it in that way. You know, it'll probably be running focused publications for the most part.
Speaker 5: But that I mean, that's I think that's one of the cool.
Speaker 15: Things about working for a global technology company is that's the lens we bring to something.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure it's not go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 15: You know, it's not just about engaging one certain demographic, but it's about really amplifying that message and you know, getting kind of getting that coverage as far and as wide as we can.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious. Tucson is known for being a bicycling town and almost a mecca in this timeframe, you know, from winter in the winter to early spring. But I'm sure you probably an originymore. In talking to the people the authorities here, did you get a sense from them that, oh, this has been a long time in coming, that you guys are doing this or somebody's doing this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, for sure I think that.
Speaker 15: You know, one person said like, this is the race he's always dreamed of Tucson having, which you know is exciting to hear and and but I think, you know, that's that's incredibly cool that Tucson is this kind of endurance cycling mecca because what we see is that garment athletes are typically not one sport athletes, you know, so I think you have a lot of cyclists who are runners and vice versa. You know, they probably are triathletes as well. Yeah, so it's cool to kind of foster that multi sport mindset and and I think we're contributing to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean in the universe of Arizona has a triathlon team that's like their newest, newest to you know, NC DOUAA Sports.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they're they're good, and they're good, really good. Yeah. Well, we appreciate your time, thanks for joining us. I guess you'll be here every now and again to get ready for the race. Maybe. How soon do you think we'll hear about the course?
Speaker 5: Hopefully I'd say June or July at the latest.
Speaker 15: We know we're going to be coming back, you know, if not monthly, every six weeks, just because we're gonna have regular announcements, you know, things like I reference community engagement opportunities and then just you know, metal reveals all the.
Speaker 5: Things, right, So you know, I'm excited.
Speaker 15: I love Tucson, so I mean, you know, it's it's fun that I'll be able to come back several times before the race.
Speaker 1: Sure, enjoy the Maybe not in July, Yeah, yeah, I might take that month. Well, appreciate your time. Thank you very much. Thank you all right, scott Elia from Garbon that we'll see them in a few months. We'll probably have them on again as we get closer to the event. Let's take a quick break and come back on the other side for our final segment. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one email me at Steve dot rivera ninety five at gmail dot com. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 15: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 16: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health from.
Speaker 4: Leading Edge and Exercise Equipment twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial lad available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, you're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Tampble or call them at five two zero three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 15: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 16: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 4: Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise requirement on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 17: Craving Tucson's best burger, The fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 8: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pieas need more money in your pocket. Let's hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Sun Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an Equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 9: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to My on the Ball. You're on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Young Steve Rivera, your Dave Silver. We got Kobe there. What you got for score?
Speaker 2: Pop Ball played their first game this afternoon to Mexico State. Arizona wins three nothing. That was a quick one good quick game. Devin nets winning pitcher, eighteen and five record. Now, so they're gearing up for the postseason, which yet another game. It's double hitting.
Speaker 1: Another game today, so time go out to.
Speaker 2: Hill and Brand and then I guess baseball plays a U T Arlington.
Speaker 1: I want to say it is tomorrow. So the teams are kind of, you know, approaching the postseason with some success. Two more or three more weeks right of school and then Kobe and I won't see you anymore till next semester. Ye, you're coming back next to mining. Okay here I'm not talking about school. I'm talking about here with the studio. You can try to find a different internship somewhere. Okay, No, good, real quick to uh forgot to mention for Garman. Just go to garment dot com and if you want to register already, that's where you go. G A R M, I N dot com to join in on that marathon, half marathon, ten K, five K, A few different. That's pretty cool. That's going to be an interesting month for everybody. You You're gonna be so in shape, you could run the ten k or the fish Sure, I could maybe five and the buddies of yours, yeah, five k he want to go, Robert.
Speaker 2: I know some people who, as I was kind of implying there, you know, there's been some pretty great distance runners.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember abd Yeah, he's around, he's still around. He's still probably trying to get into the Olympics. Yeah him. Well the coach at u of A now what's his name, Bernard LA Gott BERNARDA.
Speaker 2: Gott, right, And yeah, I mean there's some great distance history here, so it'll be kind of cool to see the U of A kind of mixed in with all.
Speaker 1: That, especially when we were covering back in the late eighties nineties all the skiers, oh, Robert Scars and then there's spending a lot of them, a lot of them under Dave Murray, right, Robert Chesaret. Yeah, he was kind of related to Logatt. So yeah, that's pretty that's gonna be an interesting you know, it's quite a spectacle when the when the when the cyclists do their thing, you know, kind of starts downtown and you know, loops all over the place. Now, so this is gonna be cool. What I didn't want to talk about because I'll talk about now. Stupid stupidly, we have an issue with the route because people get affected, right, traffic wise, it's almost unavoidable. It is unavoidable because it's just you know, we've gone our routes have changed for that. We we upset people here and then we move it and people there because they have to get to places. But it is what it is, right, you have these events that you have to kind of make sacrifices. It is for three four hours. It's not in a long time. We raised I think maybe ten million dollars this year at'll tour. We'll see what these guys do. But I'm sure that their route's gonna affect, of course, some people, because it's twenty six miles.
Speaker 2: Of course, starting, he said, starts downtown because if I'm not mistaken, like the Tucson Marathon, which we've had, you know, over the years, usually started in an oral valley, if I want to say, and they kind of came down Oracle and you know, maybe spent most of the time kind of north of the major part of the city. So this is going to start downtown. I don't know, who knows, you know, we'll see that route when they when they decide to reveal it, we'll see if the loop is part of it, that's true, I could do that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, if they're gonna have ten thousand runners, that might be a little bit. Yeah no, that's a loop. Yeah yeah, no, No, that's why we don't do it. It can It's not wide enough, it's not safe. Yeah, but we're for runners. Maybe maybe a portion of it by the time they break up, you know, and start spreading apart that that could. I look at it too, and it's just kind of you know, I probably won't like you got to be there. I don't have to be there.
Speaker 2: I just I just kind of want to know what the experience is going to be like for two zonings, and you know, the restaurant business. I know that there's a tu song people that's their thing. This is going to be like, Okay, we've got this event. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Well, along those lines, they supported us pretty heavily, pretty nicely. One and two, they're bringing in this the all Star game for the is it All? Is it the the indoor football that's gonna be coming here. The Champianship championship game or I think it's championship now that's coming here. Okay, So not that we talked about this with with Blake because he's part of the tourism and group. How Tucson is trying to become this think ahead area. You know, we've been here forever and it's kind of sometimes stuck in the politics. Well, now you have the Ray Flores is the younger group of people kind of making things happen, you know, the WBC. They're bringing stuff here to trying to make Tucson more worldly if you will. Yeah, I mean that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Why not you know, if there's if there's an event and you know, we've got this Mosaic Quarter going up down you know, on the other side of the freeway there, so that's gonna you know, be a spot where people can come and do their events. But this is this is pretty cool. To have a marathon of this magnitude coming here is nice.
Speaker 1: You saw that you used to live on the northwest side, used to be one of my not anaby in area. The sports park has got a new management or new management. I didn't know that, and that was like the place when we used to play it right. Uh there. I'm not sure what they're gonna do with it, but they got it's under new management. They're going to get maybe something going there, because you know, every time you see you're coming into town, it's it's there.
Speaker 5: It's still there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, building a big park.
Speaker 2: It looks like on Silver Bell near Kamnados AA or Ruth Roff I should say, there's a big fields that are under construction.
Speaker 1: What side of the it's on the south side of of the which side of the freeway on the west side side of the haven't seen. Yeah, so there's something going on there. You know.
Speaker 2: Marana is all kinds of talks about what we want to do there, you know, do they want to put a stadium in there. Blake could probably tell you more about that, but the stuff you sort of hear and trying to get you know, some you know, Winter League Baseball from Mexico possibly coming.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's a topic that kind of been leaked out a little here and there. No one can really official he talked about it, because it's not official, No, but I mean that's you know, those are things that it's nice to see that those things were even being talked to right right right in middle Dusty Tucson, which is no longer Dusty obviously, no. And in that time of year again, that's going to be right during this marathon if they're going to play winter baseball here and uh, you know once this once their training camps get going, which I think is like October November, right after the season ends. But it's funny because you were in your business and I was in my business for a long time from mid August to April. There's not enough time or space for a lot of things, right and then after April, May, June, July becomes like you know, we fiddle our thumbs and what sort of do obviously because it's hot as hell. Yeah, and then it picks up again. There is always a few things going on.
Speaker 2: I can't I got to try to remember, you know, just digging back, but there's always a few things that would happen, like around the Tusson Convention Center indoors in the summertime. Well, you know, some type of sporting things, archery or you know, some some people would come to they would do they would do some things, you know, to come here in the summer. But you're right, I mean, most people don't want to come here in the summer. Big groups are not going to come.
Speaker 1: So did you you did you go out? I don't know, maybe you sent the underlingk to your to the side Winders games or the Toros games because it was so damn hot. I would go. I mean, it just depends on it depend on who we had working those days, but I would I would go.
Speaker 5: I missed that.
Speaker 1: That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I mean even it was frustrating when you go and it'd be you know, five hundred people there right, and you go, does anybody care about this? That's kind of how we would look at it sometimes, and maybe even newspapers do the same. It's like, you know, is it worth covering? Does anybody really care? If there's That's the whole thing.
Speaker 1: And we talked about this with Blake and I'm from New Mexico and northern New Mexico obviously, and to talk about Albuquerque and the ice snoops are very heavily. You watched people go. Obviously, the summers there are much milder than they are here, so they go and it's it's a college town, like, yes, it's not much to do when the college town's not going so they do well here here. It's not that the team is bad or whatever. It's hard to go out when it's one hundred and five, right, and that's at ten o'clock, and you know, we're never gonna we're never gonna lose that.
Speaker 2: So you know, they've got to fin Uns're gonna start building dome stadiums or something like that. But I mean, that's kind of what we're what you face when you when you're here, you know, at that time year. But yeah, there was always a few things happening, kind of these fringe events that you probably would never get coverage during those busy times because you're too busy covering you know, Arizona, U of A stuff or whatever. But sometimes there'll be something like wow, that's kind of cool, and they turn out to be.
Speaker 1: Cute little stories. Yeah. Yeah, and that's what you're chasing down, or try to chase down anything else. We take a couple of calls or two, a couple of calls or two five, two, four, one, six, seventy four, forty would take them here. We had some good calls yesterday. If you want to chime in with us real quick, that'll be good Dave, you're gonna be on Friday.
Speaker 2: I'll be in Friday. We'll do a little draft recap. See if anybody. Yeah, the team act decision. Yeah, it's Thursday, Friday, Saturday, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He talked about Tyler Loop. Thankful you came on for Saturday.
Speaker 2: He talked about sitting around in Texas on Saturday with his family, which will probably you know, if he's gonna get picked, Like it sounds like that's probably right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they rarely rarely chase after kickers in the draft now, not unless you're like a Ray guy with him. Yeah. He was one of the first to ever i think, pick in the first round by the Raiders. Yeah. Well, and you can find these guys after the draft as free agents. Yeah. And usually like when you go to like those training camps.
Speaker 2: I remember, like we go to the Cardinals and you know, they'd have their kicker from last year he was there, but they'd always have like three or four kickers challenging them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just kind of an easy thing to do.
Speaker 2: It's bring in a couple of kickers and see if we got somebody we didn't know about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the things that he I know he's faith based. Tyler was because you talked a little about that, but and you talked real quick and asked him about the stress of it, right, and he kind of didn't really feel stressed because he's have much of it really right in his career.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 1: I mean, kickers, they always just talk about the mental game of kicking, because they're all really good and they can all kick it like you know, sixty yard field goals, but it's when you miss one and you kind of get in a slump and the best ones it just doesn't happen to there's something about it. They're dialed in. In fact, I had some time about two weeks ago, we had the tour Scott Stale up in Scottsdale, and Casey Scourn is now cyclist and he's a pretty good cyclist. Remember him losing or missing the shot against USC that's right, and got some death threats from that. And he's just there to kick right, to try to do his best obviously and did really well, but missed that one and then got uh got calls. Yeah. I mean, that's the spotlight is on. And nowadays with the draft Kings and all these van duels and blah blah blah, people really caring about this stuff.
Speaker 2: Sometimes at one point or those three points is the difference in a lot of a lot of decisions people are making.
Speaker 1: Not that I went down anything about that, No, but we we know because we see it and we hear it. Yeah, uh you know, And and I'm sure guys like I guess, well La gave your guy aunt all the grief, right, and I guess they were getting on, Uh what's the guy Atlanta Atlanta? The guard Trey Young. They were all over him wherever he was playing, and you know, just brutal, brutal about it. I don't know how I would handle that. You're talking about just just just ripping them, just ripping them when they go to the game because they did something wrong. Well, mostly the opponents, Yeah, most of the opponents. You don't see a year. You do in the student section, and that makes it look bad. But when I was on the traveling traveling with the team, you know, Bibby used to get it. The lut got it all the time. You know, certain people sending popular coaches, some players were getting ripped for It's It's strange. I just never understood that kids being kids being kids. I was raised better, and a couple of adults being adults. I remember a couple of confrontations with a couple of adults with lout you know, just old dudes kind of Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, my dad and a couple of his buddies, I mean, you know, I was like, I don't know, twelve thirteen. He'd lead the way trying to get autographs for me. You know, he'd intersept like Jerry West. Hey, let's go get him, going up to Jerry West. We would we would hang out after the Warriors games and and just stand there and the players walking.
Speaker 1: Out to the bus, and did you get them?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: Did you have to will? Yeah? I got that whole era. Oh nice. And my father was the one that took me down. Let's go. You go ask them for the autograph Dad, I'm not going to know. They wouldn't give them to the dad, they'd give them to the kid. They did.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I was going through some stuff today looking for something and I ran into a Kareem Abdul Jabbar card and Bill Walton card and seeing them forever just looking for other things, and I might have to bring them in. I'm sure you still have yours, right.
Speaker 2: I do have a lot of pretty good ones. Yeah, stashed away someplace, you know. Thank my mom for saving my baseball cards and.
Speaker 1: Things like that. I sold night. As I'm senior, I don't I still have them. What are they gonna do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Exactly, that's my point. I tell I turned to my children and these things, and then they say, no, I do you guys? Are I do the same to my kids. I have all this stuff and said you want to no, Yeah, okay, cool, I know what not to keep, what to keep?
Speaker 2: Well, at some point they're gonna just have to take it. Oh yeah, then deal with it and we won't be around sorry about it. Right, that's true, very true.
Speaker 1: What time? What do we have here?
Speaker 3: We're good to go.
Speaker 1: That's sounds quick. Okay, Thank you Kobe, thank you. We woke you up than to tell us. Thank you, Dave, see you Friday. Thanks everybody,