Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the Bible teaching ministry that's here to encourage and inspire you every day. And today we're continuing our series called Awesome Relationships. In it, Rick Warren shares practical ways to help you take your relationships with family, friends, co workers, and even God from ordinary to extraordinary. And this is a series you don't want to miss. Well, let's get started today with part three of a message called fighting for an Awesome Marriage.
Speaker 2: It really doesn't matter what other people think about marriage. It doesn't matter what public opinion says. It doesn't matter what the opinion polls say, it doesn't matter what's politically correct or incorrect. What really matters is what God says, Who invented marriage? And you're going to live in a culture where this is absolutely counterculture. You now live in a culture sure that has forgotten why marriage matters.
Speaker 3: You live in a culture.
Speaker 2: That does not honor it, but actually demeans it, discourages it, ridicules it, redefines it, dismisses it, and on and on. And as a result, we can see what's happening in society. We now have people who go to Las Vegas, get drunk and in a spontaneous moment, go to a wedding chapel, get married, and twenty four hours later get divorced because it's no big deal.
Speaker 3: It's just a social contract.
Speaker 2: We have celebrities who spend a full year and millions and millions and millions of dollars on a wedding, and the preparation for the wedding lasts longer than the marriage. We have people going from one relationship to the next to the next in serial marriages, and they don't understand the meaning and the mystery.
Speaker 3: Now, what's amazing about.
Speaker 2: All of this is that when we live in a culture that's forgotten why marriage matters, we still honor and it still makes big news when a couple makes.
Speaker 3: It a long time.
Speaker 2: And it's still big news when we hear on the radio or TV here in a magazine that couple has been married sixty years, that couple's been married sixty five, seventy, that couple's been married seventy five years. Why Because in spite of all the public and political pressure, we instinctively, as human beings inside know and we recognize the beauty and the sweetness of one man and one woman committing themselves to become one flesh and living together in love for their entire lives.
Speaker 3: That is a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: And we know it, and we know it, and we know that deep down inside of us instinctively, we.
Speaker 3: Are wired to want this.
Speaker 2: Everybody craves the safety of a relationship where you are so fully known and known by each other and.
Speaker 3: It lasts for life. Everybody wants that.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna ask in just a second, k to come out and we're gonna talk a little bit about this.
Speaker 3: But let me just end with this section with this part.
Speaker 2: Twice in the Bible, Jesus says there's gonna be no marriage in heaven. Huh, Nope, no marriage in heaven. Jesus said it twice. He knows more about it than you or me. Why will they be no marriage in heaven? Because you won't need any of the six reasons. Marriage exists in a perfect place that you're not gonna need the multiplication of the human race in a perfect place. You're not gonna need the protection of children in a perfect place. You're not gonna need the perfection of your character. You're not gonna need the construction of society, you're not gonna need the reflection of christ union.
Speaker 3: You don't need a metaphor because you're going to experience the real thing in heaven.
Speaker 2: But here on earth, marriage matters, and the Bible says we are to honor it.
Speaker 3: Whether we're ever.
Speaker 2: Married, or we're married or lost a maid or whatever, we're to honor marriage. So in a society it doesn't like marriage, how do you fight for your marriage because there's nothing in society If you're married, nothing in society is encouraging and to stay marriage married, everything around you is encouraging you to walk out.
Speaker 3: So how do you fight for your marriage?
Speaker 2: Well, as I said, Kay and I have been married thirty nine years, so I thought i'd ask her to come and help us. Would you give a warm welcome to my best friend? All right, let's talk about marriage in the seasons of life, because life is seasonal.
Speaker 3: And you go through seasons over and over and over and over. Let's just start start us off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, God balances the world through seasons, the same with marriages. Marriages, as you said, don't stay still. They're constantly changing. So we're going to use the metaphor of the seasons to talk about how to fight for your marriage. So if spring represents the busy season, you know, when life.
Speaker 5: Is just going at a fast paced a lot of growth.
Speaker 4: Yep, Summer is going to represent in this conversation when things are easy, when they're good. Fall is going to represent when things change, and winter is going to represent kind of when.
Speaker 5: Life falls apart. So let's start with.
Speaker 4: Spring and springtime, as I said, is the busy time when you're like ships passing in the night.
Speaker 5: Every marriage goes through these time periods where.
Speaker 4: You just feel like you're both you can't get everything done, there's just too much on your list, and life just becomes this, Hi, how are you quick.
Speaker 2: In the same house, But you don't have time to talk, you don't have time for sex, you don't have time for meals.
Speaker 3: You know, you're just busy.
Speaker 2: I think busyness is the number one destroyer of marriages. It's that we fall away from each other because of busyness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so easy because what starts to be a season. You know, you go through these time periods where you think, okay, well, when we get through this, things.
Speaker 5: Will calm down. Now things are going to change in a couple of months. It's not going to always be like this.
Speaker 4: But what we've found is that what can start as a season, something that is just supposed to last for a little while, suddenly becomes a pattern, and before you know it, you're in a habit and a chronic state of busyness. We have experienced that so many times. We are experts at this.
Speaker 3: You know, we have busy lives.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we really had to fight this because our lives are so busy. So what we've decided to do is just to be super intentional, really deliberate about making time to talk, putting the computer down, you know, turning the phone off, looking each other in the eye. You know, even if it's for a brief time, it's that intentionality of connecting, staying.
Speaker 5: Close to each other.
Speaker 3: One of the things we have a little phrase in our house.
Speaker 2: We call it divert daily, withdraw weekly, and abandon annually. Divert daily means find something fun to do every day, and divert daily withdraw weekly means we take a weekly day off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we take every Monday. If he's preaking.
Speaker 4: Preaching on a weekend, then on Mondays, I mean, you know, he's typically wiped out. So we have just for years and years, almost our entire married life taken Mondays as a day off, and when our kids were small, we'd farm amount to other people, and then when they were in school, we'd have that time together and then it became our family night. But it was a deliberate day set aside every week to connect in spite of the busyness.
Speaker 3: So we divert daily. We withdraw weekly.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you're not taking a weekly day off, you're breaking one of the ten commandments.
Speaker 3: It's that important.
Speaker 2: It's right up there with don't commit adultery and don't murder. It says every six days you take a day for rest and worship. So if you're not doing that, you're breaking on ten commandments. And you can't build relationships. If you're so busy you don't have any time for each other.
Speaker 3: Then we abandon annually.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've always taken a vacation, so you know, ask yourself, you know, how long has it been or how regular are you with taking time off together. And it's amazing when we talk to folks when they say we haven't taken a vacation in years, and some of them are actually.
Speaker 5: Kind of proud of that. As though that's a badge of.
Speaker 4: Honor, it is not a badge of honor to not take time off and take time away with the people that you love the most, even if it's a staycation, you know, even if it's your staying at home and you're watching movies, but it's your intentionally spending time with the people.
Speaker 5: That you love.
Speaker 2: You know, one of the things you got to do what you did to get married, you got to keep doing to stay married. You got to date your mate. You see, men, we're kind of task oriented, and you know, we have this checklist, like the bucket list, and one of the things on the checklist is find a good woman and getting married.
Speaker 3: Okay, And so.
Speaker 2: Then when you hone in on who that person is, you're you're a man on a mission, and you do all crazy things like go to the opera and you know, talk two hours on the phone, and you know, you do all these things to loose this woman. And then once you're married, it's like, okay, mission accomplished. Now I've got to provide. Now I've got Now I've got to pay for all of this. And so all your tasks and energy moved to something else, and the woman goes, where's the guy I dated?
Speaker 4: Yeah, where's that guy who liked to talk, who love to look in my eyes? And just you know, absolutely slobber over everything I said.
Speaker 3: And it was a lie.
Speaker 2: But the here's the other thing people tell me all the time, and the US do marriage counseling. People would say, you know, I just don't love him anymore. I just don't love her anymore, as if it just happened, and it's totally uncontrollable. No, love is a choice. Love is a choice. Love is not a feeling. Love creates feelings, Love creates great feelings. Baby, oh baby, old baby. But love is not a feeling. Love is a choice that creates feeling. If love is a feeling, God couldn't command it. But God commands you to love people. It's like commanding of feelings. I tell him, little kid, I command you to be happy.
Speaker 3: You can't force a feeling.
Speaker 2: And so we even use the language like, well, I fell in love like it was a ditch, Okay, Like I just was walking along and boom, I just fell in love. Had nothing to control over it, and and so I fell out of love.
Speaker 3: It was another ditch. I fell into no. No, it's a choice. Okay, it's a choice.
Speaker 2: And so you can choose to reignite your marriage.
Speaker 5: So we have to feel really you have to be intentional.
Speaker 4: I mean, you just want to keep honing in on it in this in this season of busyness, because as we're talked about, oneness is the goal.
Speaker 5: So the scripture that we talked about the goal.
Speaker 4: Of marriage is to become one. Flush to become one, and to become one is something that happened the minute that you said yes, a minute you said I do.
Speaker 5: But then it's the rest of your lifetime to work that out. So you have to ask yourself, what am I What choices.
Speaker 4: Am I making they're actually working against oneness? If I say yes to this commitment, will that actually work against oneness in my marriage?
Speaker 5: Well? That actually pulled me away.
Speaker 4: And to ask yourself that deliberate question, what is destroying oneness in our relationship?
Speaker 5: And you might be surprised at the answer.
Speaker 3: What will create it?
Speaker 2: You know, there's a verse in Revelation that says if you've lost your first love, it says.
Speaker 4: You return and do the things that you did before.
Speaker 2: Return and do the things you did it first So if you've lost that first love, what do you do? You need to start doing the stuff you did before the dating your mate. It's like that old cliche, if there was more courting and marriage, there'd be fewer marriages in court.
Speaker 5: Oh come on, you guys laughed at that. You're pretty saying about three million times.
Speaker 3: How many times have you heard that, honey?
Speaker 5: Countless?
Speaker 3: Yeah, countless.
Speaker 4: But it's always good, It's always good.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: So the next season is that season of summer where things are good, things are easy.
Speaker 5: It's that season in your life where really you're you're cooking.
Speaker 4: With gas, every cylinder is working well.
Speaker 5: You know, your your marriage is going strong, your kids are doing well, your careers, you're just kind of you're just doing really good. We have found that, unfortunately, that season doesn't always last that long.
Speaker 3: Does There's always something that interrupt it.
Speaker 4: But summer is the time when there are that you could just say in this man, things are going well right now, and so what do you do?
Speaker 5: How do you fight for your marriage in that season? Because you would think what to fight for?
Speaker 4: Everything is going great, No, that's the time to bank, that's the time to invest, that's the time to.
Speaker 5: Put roots down deep into the love in your.
Speaker 4: Marriage, so that it stores up against the times that.
Speaker 2: Are bad, because you can draw on those good memories when you're in the tough and the bad times.
Speaker 5: So it's really easy to get complacent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't get complacent. That's really important. Don't take your spouse for granted. When K got cancer and nearly died, and I watched it thrown up every day with all that chemo and radiation and all that stuff, and I just made a vow I am never again taking my wife for granted, because you don't know what's going to happen to your spouse tomorrow.
Speaker 3: You just don't know.
Speaker 2: So part of my homework would be go on a date this week. If you're married. As your pastor, I'm commanding you to go on a date this week.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, okay, we'll pay for it.
Speaker 5: See me after the service.
Speaker 4: This is the time in this season it's like to go for marriage counseling. You can say, why in the world would I do it now? I mean, the unfortunate thing is that people wait too long. They do They wait until the wheels fall.
Speaker 5: Off the bus before they decided to get help.
Speaker 4: Rick's idea of car maintenance is when the engine falls out on the freeway, that's the time to get car maintenance. But sometimes we treat marriage that same way. We act as though I can put this off, I can put this off. I know there's some problems, but you know it's gonna get better, or it's gonna change or or you know we'll do that next year.
Speaker 5: And we wait too long.
Speaker 3: You know what Kay is saying, it's so important. I can't tell you how many men have come to me.
Speaker 2: Uh and their wife was begging them to go get some marriage counsel. And they said no, no, no, no, And then their wife walked out the door and they go, okay, now I'm ready.
Speaker 3: Sorry, buddy, it's too late. Now, okay, it's a little late.
Speaker 2: And this case said you should be getting the counsel in the good times.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: In our thirty nine years of marriage, anytime we get a bumpy time, we get some counsel. So we've gone to council lots of times over thirty nine years.
Speaker 3: I remember the very first one when we first.
Speaker 2: Got married, and we are so opposite in every area and we just were butting heads. I mean, we've been married thirty nine years, thirty seven wonderful years.
Speaker 5: I would say thirty five.
Speaker 3: The early ones.
Speaker 2: We're a little really really rough. Not that we don't have tough times today, but we do. But I remember we just said, okay, we got to get some counsel. I was making eight hundred dollars a month, that was my salary when we first gotten married, and our counseling bill was one hundred dollars a week, so half of my salary was going to counseling. And I wracked up a fifteen hundred dollars bill on MasterCard counsel I've often said we should do a commercial for MasterCard sake.
Speaker 3: MasterCard saved our marriage. Okay, saved marriage priceless. People say, well.
Speaker 2: I can't afford counseling. We really, you can't afford not to get it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so banks, how much?
Speaker 3: Wait minute, how much is your counsel work? How much does your marriage work?
Speaker 5: You got ahead of me on this, sad How.
Speaker 3: Much is your happiness worth? I'd pay a million dollars for what I got today? Okay, really it was worth.
Speaker 5: We have worked hard to build a strong marriage. We have worked hard. That's just it's not an exaggeration.
Speaker 4: We have worked hard, and part of the reason we've had to work so hard is because we are so different. And that leads me to this season of fall, which is the season of change.
Speaker 5: And we want to talk about it from two aspects.
Speaker 4: One, when change happens and it's good, you know you it's but it's.
Speaker 5: Major, it's a major upheaval.
Speaker 4: And maybe there's a you relocate, or there's a new job, or there's something changes pretty.
Speaker 5: Drastically in your life.
Speaker 4: And change can be kind of scary, can be frightening, and yet if you're open to it, what may have seemed like very difficult and unpleasant change can actually be something that you look back and say, that was one of the best things that ever happened to us.
Speaker 5: So when change happens and it's.
Speaker 4: It's huge, but it's good or it could be good, have the attitude if I'm going to adjust to this, I'm going to look for the good in this. I'm going to find the good in this, and you may be surprised at the change that happens.
Speaker 5: It's good.
Speaker 2: Let me say a couple of things about the change that happens to us. First, if your marriage never changes, boredom is setting it in a major way. And boredom kills more marriages than almost anything, and so you have to fight boredom with creativity.
Speaker 1: What a great message from Pastor Rick today. There's something I always take away from his message. Here's Rick to tell you how you can help support this ministry.
Speaker 2: Jesus told his disciples that they should live their lives according to five specific purposes. He said, You've got to love God with all your heart. That's worship, and love your neighbors yourself. That's ministry. That's called the Great Commandment. And then Jesus said, go make disciples. That's evangelism. Baptize them into the Family of God. That's fellowship, a sign of fellowship. And then he said, teach them obey everything I've taught you. That's discipleship. And we call that the Great Commission. We believe it daily hope that a great commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission will produce a great Christian, a great church, a great company, a great community. You know, I started daily hope so I could spread the good news about Jesus, not just across America, but all around the world. And we want people to know that God's word is filled with hope and truth, and the power that we need to follow Him every day is available to every single one. You know as well as I do, that the Word of God changes lives. It's a live it's active, and it breathes new life and new love into all of our lives. So wherever you listen to this, whether you listen on the website, whether you listen on a radio station, or whether you listen to a podcast, you're a part of the Daily Hope family and I need your help. We could not do this without your support. We're one hundred percent listener funded. Would you continue to pray for this broadcast and would you continue to support us? And let write to me, let me hear from you. I absolutely love reading the stories that are sent to me. So write me, pray for me, and support this ministry, and God will bless it, and God will bless you, and we'll get to heaven and we'll thank God for all the people going to be in heaven because you cared.
Speaker 7: Hey, if you'd like to support Pastor Rigs Daily Hope, just go to Pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com, or you can text the word hope to seven oh three oh nine. That's the word hope to seven oh three oh nine, And really, from the bottom of our hearts, we thank you so much for your support. Your gift to Daily Hope helps us share the hope of Christ with people everywhere. Hey be sure to join us next time when we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.