Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Thank you engaging voice Guy. Pleasure being with you.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about whether or not you are now living in a Fire's on his new maps have been released. It's coming up here after an update on the news with Amy King and about a quarter after first. The big news is that the Trump officials are facing some backlash and Democrats are jumping on it after it's revealed that the plans to attack the Hooti rebels in Yemen.
Speaker 2: We're being discussed via an unsecured chat app. KTLA had that story.
Speaker 3: Secret war plans revealed in a group chat involving the nation's top security officials and a journalist who is added to the conversation by mistake. Tonight, President Trump.
Speaker 1: Says, I still don't know how you get added by mistake. I'm having real difficulty understanding this. I mean, we've all butt dialed somebody, but we don't but add to a group chat. I have enough trouble trying to figure out how to add someone to a group chat. I can't imagine accidentally doing it.
Speaker 3: He knows nothing about the incident, and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth is denying the allegations.
Speaker 1: Well, the Trump administration confirms the text threat quote appears to be legitimate.
Speaker 2: Sandra Mitchell live in the KTLA News Center with details.
Speaker 4: Cendra, Yeah, the messages appear to be authentic. That is the word from the White House National Security Council spokesperson tonight. Now, if it is true, it would be a stunning breach of national security. Still, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth is adamant. He says, nothing confidential.
Speaker 2: Was shared, all right, So what do we know? Officially?
Speaker 1: The reporter says, I was added to the chat. The Department of Defense says, yep, it's legit. Sec death. What does he say?
Speaker 4: As the US launched attacks on whot rebels in Yemen, A journalist says he knew exactly what was unfolding. He already told us this because he was mistakenly included in a group chat by Mike Walls, President Trump's National security advisor, with top officials sharing details of the war plan.
Speaker 5: He was texting war plans. He was texting attack plans, when targets were going to be targeted, how they were going to be targeted. Who was at the targets when the next sequence of attacks were happening.
Speaker 4: Appearing on CNN tonight, the editor of The Atlantic, Jeffrey Goldberg, detailed how he mistakenly was included in an encrypted messaging app with Vice President jd Vance, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, and fifteen other top officials talking about military strikes in Yemen.
Speaker 1: So they accidentally added a journalist, and it just happened to be accidentally one of the one of the top journalists. It wasn't like they got somebody from the Poughkeepsie Weekly.
Speaker 5: I didn't know what it was or or who it was.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a hoax.
Speaker 5: I thought somebody was trying to entrap me.
Speaker 4: It was not a hoax. Back on March fifteenth, two hours after Goldberg apparently got the tax the bombing began.
Speaker 6: Nobody was texting war plans.
Speaker 2: And that's all I have to say about that.
Speaker 4: With some Democrats now furious over the current security breach and calling for an immediate hearing on the matter, hag Seth denied the allegation and attacked Goldberg's credibility.
Speaker 6: They deceitful and highly discredited so called journalists who's made a profession of peddling hoax his time and time again.
Speaker 4: Christident Trump also criticizing the.
Speaker 2: But how does that change the situation? Listen to what HEGs has said.
Speaker 1: Now, remember it's been confirmed by the Department of Defense, if you're unfamiliar, The Secretary of Defense is over the Department of Defense. So his department confirms, yes, this was the check, Yes he was added to it. And then Hegxith's response is, well the journalist is I don't like him.
Speaker 6: They deceitful and highly discredited so called journalist who's made a profession of pedaling hoaxes time and time again.
Speaker 1: All right, even even taking what Hexith says and assuming that's true, why was a deceitful and discredited so called journalist who pedals hoaxes added to your war plans group chat? And well, those weren't war plans. I've seen the report. There's receipts, it's screenshots of the of the chat. It's not as though it's up for dispute. His own his own department said, yeah, that's legit. Yep, that was the chat. So what is Hexith saying here? Hexyth, a former television news guy, should know just because you yell at the messenger doesn't mean the messenger was wrong or that the message was errant. So this feels a lot like feels a lot like when my daughter's cat finds itself stuck in a paper bag and just starts freaking out. It doesn't know where the opening is. It just starts swatting at the inside of the paper bag. I'm gonna get out of here somehow. In other words, he's throwing haymakers and they're not really landing. He's just throwing haymakers. Because the narrative when you start talking with your coworkers, and you'll talk to some coworkers that are hard left, you'll talk to friends that might be far right, you'll talk to people that are in the middle, and you're discussing this and you're saying, I can't believe they did this. And someone's gonna say that journalist is trash. Pete Hegsith says he's discredited, he pedals hoaxes, and you go, where's the lie. Even if you don't like the journalist, even if this journalist was full of trash before.
Speaker 2: Even if this wasn't a journalist, if.
Speaker 1: They somehow accidentally added your plumber to the group chat, and the plumber took screenshots of the group chat. You can't come out and say this is a terrible plumber. My sink is still leaking after he was there. It doesn't change the content of the group chat, and it doesn't change the fact that their screenshots to show.
Speaker 2: Yep, he was in it.
Speaker 1: It also doesn't change the fact that the Department of Defense acknowledged Yep, it's legit. So while you continue swinging at the inside of that paper bag, you're not getting any closer to finding your way out.
Speaker 4: President Trump also criticizing The Atlantic and denied knowledge of the attacks and said the attack on the Hooties was successful, and.
Speaker 1: Again, attacking the Atlantic doesn't change the fact that there are receipts.
Speaker 7: I don't know anything about it. I'm not a big fan of The Atlantic. To me, it's a magazine that's going out of business. I think it's not much of a magazine. But I know nothing about it. The attack was very effective. I can tell you that I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 1: All Right, Again, we're attacking the Atlantic. We're saying they're a trash organization. We're saying that this journalist is terrible. If, in fact, The Atlantic is a bad news publication. If this journalist is so bad at his job and is discredited and is not someone anyone should listen to, why was he added to the group chat? Oh, but it was an accident. Why is he even in your contact list? How does he end up on the signal app with everybody else? The Vice President, the Secretary of Defense, the National Security Advisor, and random guy who we all hate. It's strange I have a group chat with a bunch of guys.
Speaker 2: We do. I'm gonna get geeky here for a minute.
Speaker 1: We do every year we do a trip to Las Vegas and we have this fantasy football draft and get together. We hang out at the pool, we go get some drinks, We talk about everybody's football teams and how bad they are, and then throughout the year we converse often about sports, sometimes about life, about my buddy's third marriage since since the league got together, and how he's a serial womanizer, another dude who's an absolute drunkard and continues to post pictures and we simultaneously try to counsel him and egg him on because we're dudes and that's what we do. We had a guy that left the group. He was mad, he was bitter at the rest of the group. Do you know what we all did? We deleted his contact info because we didn't like him anymore. How is it you have a guy that is discredited, you claim as a so called journalist, a hoax peddler, who works for a terrible news organization, one that's failing going down the tubes, won't be in business much longer, and yet he's still so readily available in your contact list that he could accidentally be added to the war chat? Is there anyone else being accidentally invited into these chats? Do we accidentally invite Elon Musk into our classified information chats? Are we accidentally inviting Vladimir Putin into our our chats? Who else is being accidentally invited into our unsecure classified information group texts? There are so many questions that this unforced error is going to be significantly detrimental. Someone is going to lose their job, you mark my word. Somebody's going to lose their job over this, And I'm going to guess that's the security advisor Waltz. Michael Waltz. I think he's probably gonna lose his job. Because he's the one that accidentally added the journalist to the unsecure group chat. And then of course the Democrats are going to hammer on after everything you talked about with Hillary Clinton's emails on an or on a private server, how could you let this happen on a chat service that we don't run. There are so many questions that are going to continue to be asked about this. Just mark my words on that, all right. Didn't want to talk fire for just a moment. You heard the Conway's promo that some of the firefighters are showing high levels of lead and mercury, the ones that fought the Eating and the Palisades fires, which makes you wonder how they got that.
Speaker 2: What's where did it come from? They were breathing into smoke.
Speaker 1: The smoke obviously had levels of lead and mercury in it, and it makes you wonder what contained it that burned and then what's the word a rated that I guess not aerrated, vaporized it and then put it into the smoke. But we are seeing calfires come out and they said fire risk is.
Speaker 2: Higher in far more areas than.
Speaker 1: What we have said in the past. KTLA was reporting on the new fire map.
Speaker 8: Well two minutes after wild fires ravage our region, cal Fire has released updated fire maps for southern California. This marks the first time they have been updated in more than a decade. The maps are compiled by the State Forestry and Fire Protection Department and designate three levels of fire hazards, moderate, high, and very high. This is based on variables like vegetation, terrain, and recent burn history. Updated maps for fifteen counties in central California were released two weeks ago, and more than one point two million acres were added into the hazard zones.
Speaker 1: All right, and a total of three and a half million acres statewide. Now here's where this gets interesting. According to Orange County Register, new fire hazard zones appear to leave out at least half of the neighborhoods that were burned during the Eton fire. So you have people that live in areas that were decimated by fire, and cal Fire has not added those neighborhoods to any sort of even moderate risk area. The State Forestry and Fire Protection Department compiled the maps. They indicate where the probability of the fire is the greatest over the next thirty to fifty years, and then with that you have to consider the different potential implications for rebuilding and some of the homes and businesses that are rebuilding are We're going to have.
Speaker 2: New building codes.
Speaker 1: Because of the new hazards that would extend the hazard map, extends some of the susceptible areas a little bit further.
Speaker 2: Into the communities.
Speaker 1: And again when you talk about the new building codes, I think there need to be some changes. Some changes have been entered into the new building codes, including some of the fire or what is it, the ember resistant vents, that sort of thing. You have to wonder about some of the building materials again talking back on the firefighters that inhaled lead and mercury.
Speaker 2: Will there be.
Speaker 1: Will there be codes that address materials that are being used to make sure that they don't have any of those happiness metals that are a part of those But I have to wonder how much this is going going to delay some of the rebuilding efforts, how much additional cost this may put on some of the additional building efforts. In Altadena, hazard maps released at least fourteen years ago, designated just three to six blocks along the northern edge of the neighborhoods is being a very high fire severity zone, and the previous map on I had a very small strip along the foothills in the bottom of the mountains. They've extended those a bit further, but as we know, the fire moved further into Altadena than even what these.
Speaker 2: Maps had projected in the past.
Speaker 1: If we were to equate this to a different natural threat. You know that when you buy a house, you have to determine whether or not it's in a flood zone. Some areas are high, you know, high flood risk areas. Others are not high flood risk areas. So imagine if you have a home that's in a moderate flood risk area, and and so you have to have certain codes, you have to have certain sealants along the foundation of your home, whatever that might be. And then all of a sudden, you have this massive flood that comes through and it decimates a home, and it creates all kinds of havoc and you have to be evacuated. And then they come out with a new flood risk map and they go, yeah, but this home that was just just deemed to be a flood loss that's not really in a dangerous area. Imagine if after Katrina evaluators went through New Orleans and they said, well, this whole ninth Ward that was underwater, that's not really a high risk area. We would say, we're still draining. How do you say it's not a high risk area. We're still draining the water from the flood. In the same way we're saying, how do you say this is not a high risk area. We're still shoveling ashes. How is this not high fire risk? I'm still sifting through the remains of what used to be my house, and you're telling me there isn't a high fire risk.
Speaker 2: There is a high fire risk. And so some people are saying swinging a miss.
Speaker 1: Things are continuing to move very rapidly in this fire hose of chaos that is the current administration. Whether it's bombings and Yemen, leaks about bombings in Yemen on unsecured chats, or its arguments with the court system.
Speaker 2: There's just so much happening.
Speaker 1: And the latest arguments with the court system go back to a judge and the judge says, nope, the block remains in place.
Speaker 9: This morning, another two hundred Venezuela nationals arrived in the capital of Caracas after being deported by the Trump administration. Today, three judges on an appeals panel in DC are set to hear the controversial case of three previous planeloads of Venezuela and migrants who were deported and they ended up in a notorious prison in Elsalvador. The Trump administration is now looking to reverse a federal judge's order trying to halt deportations. This morning, Judge James Bosburg ruled the Venezuelan migrants deserve to have a court hearing before their deportations to determine whether or not they belong to the violent gang trend de ragua. Mister President, do you think you have the authority the power to round up people, to port them, and then you're under no obligation to a court to show the evidence against them.
Speaker 7: Well, that's what the law says, and that's what our country needs the administration.
Speaker 1: So the slippery slope on this, of course, is that by simply declaring anyone a terrorists, you can deport them if there is no due process, if there is no recourse by the accused, then are we in fact a nation of laws?
Speaker 2: Do we have individual rights?
Speaker 1: If all it takes is an accusation by someone in authority to say you're a bad person. I can do whatever I want to you because I have the authority to do so. Do you have any rights? And I know what you're thinking to think, well, that'll never happen to me. And I get what you're saying, But at what point? At what point do we draw the line?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: What happens when you actually have to show evidence they well, they're not US citizen? Well don't we have to have due process where they could appeal the fact that you say they're not here legally. We already know that we are. We're detaining people who do have permanent residency simply because the administration says, well that person's a terrorists, we're going to revoke their visas. So is anybody safe is the big question? And a judge says you.
Speaker 9: Can't do it that way, went ahead with the deportations despite the judges ruling to turn the planes carrying them around. Boseburg warn there will be consequences if he decides his order was deliberately disobeyed. President Trump ramping up attacks on Boseburg, demanding heaping impeached or disbarred, and Trump's borders are defiant.
Speaker 1: We're going to keep targeting the worst of the worst, which we've been doing since day one in deporting from the United States through the various flaws on the books.
Speaker 2: They are targeting the worst of the worst. At least they tell us that these people are the worst of the worst. There's no evidence though. See, this is the issue.
Speaker 1: Because we also are getting stories of people like this couple in Orange County. If you didn't hear about this as a couple of Orange County, been here thirty five years, raised their kids, have been paying taxes, and they're deported. No criminal background, no criminal history by all accounts. Their only crime is the misdemeanor of not having documents in this country. They pay their taxes better than most Americans do. But they're being deported. Are they the worst of the worst?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So you go, well, they broke the law, and you're absolutely right, they broke the law they did. Is that the priority? In other words, I heard I heard the promo that John Cobbolt has coming up for a show today, and he's right. If all of a sudden, HP designs they're going to start enforcing speeding and you've been speeding and they haven't pulled you over in the past, Well, today's the day that they enforce it. It's just the way it is. And he's one hundred percent correct on that. But let's let's dive a little bit deeper.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: Suppose that you are driving with a group of cars and we know how this happens. You end up in clusters, right, or if this were racing with French and tight pants, we would call this the peloton. So let's say that you are in this peloton and you're you're going down the freeway and everybody's doing eighty and then somebody in a lifted f two fifty comes flying by you. Somehow I don't know who's flying on the on the freeways, but somehow they found a pocket and they.
Speaker 2: Go flying by you. So you're driving with a bunch of people.
Speaker 1: Let's say there's six seven of you that are going eighty, and this truck goes flying by, and you go, that car that truck is easily doing ninety or ninety five, and then you see Punch and John pull out and they hit their lights and you go, they're gonna get that sucker, but they don't. They pull you over and they give you a ticket, and you say, wait a minute, am.
Speaker 2: I the bigger threat?
Speaker 1: Because I just watched this guy on in F two fifty doing ninety five that just passed me? And I know you saw him because I saw him past you before you pulled out and then and then stop me. And the officer goes, yeah, but you broke the law. The officer is one hundred percent correct, You did break the law. Law you do deserve that ticket. Is that the priority that we want our law enforcement working on? Or do we want law enforcement working harder on the guy who is a bigger law breaker driving a vehicle that is much larger than yours, that.
Speaker 2: Can do far more damage.
Speaker 1: And where we also have to be careful is just because we know one guy is driving an F two fifty at ninety five miles an hour doesn't mean that everybody driving a pickup is violating the law. And this is where the judge says there has to be due process. If you say someone is a member of a gang that you've deemed a terrorist organization, doesn't that person have the right to show up and say no, I'm not And isn't the onus i'm the accuser to provide the evidence that, yes, that person is a threat to national security, in the same way that if you pull me over and I'm driving my pickup truck and you give me a ticket because I have a pickup truck. Therefore, or I must be somebody who speeds and creates havoc, don't I have the right to appeal that and say, show me the radar, show me the evidence that you caught me speeding. This is what's at issue, And instead what we hear is the judge is a bad person. I don't know that we're actually making things safer this way. Yesterday I was talking with you about this, twenty three and Me filing for bankruptcy.
Speaker 2: Maybe you remember the story ABC seven was reporting on aenetic testing company.
Speaker 10: Twenty three and Me has now filed for Chapter eleven bankruptcy protection. The firm, valued at fifty million dollars, is pushing for a buyout. So far, the board has rejected all offers, now saying a court supervised sale is the best path forward. Twenty three and Me will continue operations during this process. This, of course, comes just one day after California Attorney General Rob Bonte issued a consumer alert about the potential of this very thing happening, reminding customers consider invoking their rights to have twenty three and meters delete their data and destroy genetic samples.
Speaker 1: Yeah, destroy genetic samples means rinse, you're spitting down the sink, because what happens is you spit in the tube, you mail it to them, and then they keep it and they've got a big safe I'm not joking it. They have a big vault filled with little samples of spittle and they hang on to that stuff, and then they have the analysis comes out, and then that data is stored on their servers. And what happens is you can access the data, you can download that data, you can save your data. So while Rob Bonta says you should delete the data, exercise your right to delete the data. You can download your data so that you will still have access to it. But it does get a bit more complicated than that. And I talked about this yesterday and I said, I wonder what's gonna happen with all these you know what's gonna happen with the samples, what's gonna happen with the with the data? With everybody's portfolio of of of their information. Because twenty three and meters will like other genetic testing companies, you can use that information, and twenty three meters is the second largest beyond ancestry. You can use that information to evaluate some of your health risks. That's twenty three and meters. Big thing is that they do the genetic testing, so you can see do I have a higher risk of, say, breast cancer, do I have a higher risk of developing Alzheimer's, whatever it might be, and then you can use that accordingly so that you can plan your life out and then make sure your funeral plans are in place. You don't have to rely on your terrible children because they stopped loving you the minute that they moved out.
Speaker 2: So what happens with your info?
Speaker 1: Though, even if you download it, if you're someone that uses it for genetic testing, right, you've got it. If you're somebody that uses that for piecing together, say a family tree, you're going to lose the tree what you can do.
Speaker 2: You're going to lose the connections.
Speaker 1: You're gonna lose the details on it because as everyone is deleting their information from it, all of a sudden, it no longer connects on their database. So suppose that I'm going to use a simple eggs sample here. Suppose that it's you and your sibling and you've both spit in a tube and you mail it in, and then you've got a profile that says here's your profile, and you you say, am I matching with anyone else who's made their profile available for potential mask matching? And it says, actually, your your profile matches your siblings. So your your brother or your sister here it is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Imagine that your brother or your sister deletes their profile all of a sudden, it no longer matches you.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: So what some people are doing right now is they're taking screenshots of those matches because even if you if you download your profile, it is not showing any connections because your profile on your your computer, your cloud, whoever you say it, if it is not tied with theirs, then it doesn't it doesn't show that connection any longer. So some people are taking some screenshots ahead of time to say, oh, I want to make sure I don't lose my great great great great uncle and find out you know that they came over on a boat from Norway. So they're taking screenshots before a bunch of data gets deleted. You don't necessarily need to delete it quite yet. Bonta is warning you you could take you could take advantage of this.
Speaker 2: You should do it.
Speaker 1: If the sale goes through and you're concerned about where that data might go, you can delete it. You can take care of it right now if you want. You can take care of it in the future, but there are there are some questions and if they end up going dark, then you can delete it also. That'll be part of any bankruptcy filing, is to make sure that the eyes are dotted and the t's are crossed. Don't know if they're going to actually liquidate though, because the co founder, who owns forty nine percent of the stock, she's part of the group that keeps blocking the sale because she wants to buy it. Twenty three meters used to be worth, by the way, six billion dollars. Now it's only worth fifty million because they had a data breach in twenty twenty three and people freaked out, as well they should, because not only would you be losing your social security information and things like that, but all of a sudden, people are literally seeing what your DNA is made up of.
Speaker 2: You talk about identity theft.
Speaker 1: Chris Maryland for Bill Handle Today KFI am six forty. We live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app