Speaker 1: Welcome to Moving Conversations, a podcast for movement professionals, by movement professionals. If you coach, train, or teach movement, pilates or fitness, then this podcast is for you. With more than sixty years of experience and fitness and pilates, your host, Brian Ritchie and North Saint John explored to science of human movement, diving deep into the facts, myths, and common misconceptions, hoping to spark thought and conversation about how we view fitness and movement. Now let's jump into Moving Conversations and welcome back to Moving Conversations. I'm Brian Richie joining me as always is Noise, Saint John, Morty, Nora.
Speaker 2: How you doing very well, Brian. It's a beautiful day here in California. I'm home for a few weeks, which is kind of novel and delightful. I'm enjoying it. I'm enjoying just like getting back to a nice, steady routine of working out and eating well and moving. It's been really nice.
Speaker 1: How about you about the same. Yeah, it's I'm going to be home for a little while. I actually look to my whiteboard and looked at I had a client asked me today, so when's the next time. I was like, I'm here for a little bit. This is nice, all right, I'm gonna be I'm gonna be home. And then it's like, oh then I got boom boom, boom boom, and it's like, okay, I've got nine more events this summer and they all start at the end of July. So I'm like, Okay, that's going to be a little bit busy for the second half of the year. But hey, that's what we do. And last year I was front heavy. This year, I'm back heavy, so you know, And it'd be really nice if we could just spread it out and just do a little chunks here and there. But sometimes you just got to do when people can fit us in.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. That's the joy, the joy of our life. And if you all think this is glamorous, because I've been talking to people who clearly think that being an influencer is glamorous a little bit of In one of our other podcasts, it's like, ye, no, people, I'm sorry, man, but flying for twelve hours, ending up in a foreign country where you don't speak the language, ending up at some funky hotel and I've had some odd hotels. I have to tell you, as Brian, where you know the host books use somewhere. One time I really realized, like not long after I walked in, this was an old, old folks home. Basically, oh yeah, you're talking me about that. I wanted a lobby, and there was all these you know, older people sitting in chairs, and there was like a you know, a little aquarium over there, and some plants over there, and a little table for things like I don't know, majeong or whatever they play over there. Uh. And it was not a I don't know, it was odd. It was great. It was a nice, little comfortable, one bedroom sort of apartment thing, but it was not what I was expecting. We'll just say that.
Speaker 1: I remember one place I got booked into and I stayed with the owner of the company and he had a room, I had a room, and we had a few other people working with us. It may well have been called Bob's motel. I mean, it was just it was in San Diego. It was a mile and a half or something from the convention center, and obviously booked on one of these cheap website sort of things. It was so uncomfortable. The females revolted and refused to stay in the hotel. We had to put them up across the street from the airport. If any of you have ever been to the San Diego airport, the planes literally fly over this hotel. I'm sitting in the parking lot of the hotel. I look up. I'm hearing the vehicle I mean start shaking. I'm thinking, what is going on? Thinking, okay, California earthquake was my first thought. And then I looked up and I swear I saw the belly of a plane that looked like I could have reached out and grabbed it. It was so close. And I looked across the street and there was the runway, and I thought, wow, okay, this is just the way it is. So yeah, glamorous. It is not always. Occasionally we get put up in very nice places. Occasionally we have wonderful experiences on flights and can relax, and other times you're jumping between flights and you're sitting between two I remember, oh my gosh, I was in Germany. It was one of these you can book half of your flight, you can say where you want your seat, but then you get to your next thing, and I'm on Luftanza and you don't get a choice. I am literally between two guys. And this was when I was a bigger man. I was probably two hundred and eighty pounds at the time, and I'm sitting between two people and they'd call me small.
Speaker 2: Oh god, oh god. So you're like, shoulders are scrunched. They've they've taken over the hit the arm rests right like, they've totally taken over the arm mass, They've taken over everything.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I didn't need to see because I wasn't moving. I was not going to move during this wedged I was wedged in there and they're passing sausages between them to eat in front of my face, and part of me was to say sure. I mean, I'm sitting here, they're speaking German, and I'm thinking, oh my gosh. Fortunately it was an hour and a half two hour flight, so I said, I can make it for that long. But oh my gosh. So yes, glamours, sometimes our travel is not.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's that's a perfect image. I'm in that image.
Speaker 1: So last week. Last week we talked with Beth about hip replacements.
Speaker 2: Right and a fire hose download everything you ever need to know. It was like so a lot.
Speaker 1: Of information of information, Oh my gosh. And I mean afterwards, as soon as we sort of stopped the podcast, we started talking and saying, Okay, we need to follow up because there was so much information that it's hard to parse that much in such a short period of time. But we also want to talk about things like case studies. I've had countless numbers of hip replacements and literally from everything you can imagine. So I was thinking, Okay, it'd be a good idea. I'm sure you had the same to be able to break that down and go over these things and also talk about the differences between the techniques and the positives the negatives there are, and these are things that, let's face it, with our clients, a lot of times, if they're going to go into surgery, they look to us for guidance, for help for opinions because we see the rehab afterwards, we know the surgeries, and a lot of times they think, well, this doctor wants to do this brand new technique and I'm like, how many of the have they done? Five?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's called practicing, which at this point I would rather say they've done two hundred, I'm great, Okay, good, then I'm going to be two hundred and one. I'm happy to do that. To be number three or four of a new, brand new procedure. They're all excited about. They'll be paying extra attention. But their experience, Yeah, they're learning. Their experience isn't is it where it is with a more familiar routine.
Speaker 1: And you said the magic number. I had a surgeon client for a number of years and he said, you know what two hundred is proficiency? He said, after that is artistry.
Speaker 2: OK.
Speaker 1: But at two hundred, that's when you are as proficient as you're going to be with the technique. You become a master after that. But that's sort of the minimum number, almost like we've all heard the ten thousand hour thing. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. But he said two hundred in medicine, according to him, was the magic number. Anything after that. So he always told me ask how many they do? How many do you do here? How many years have you been doing this? Because if you hear someone's been doing this for only three or four years and they do, you know, one a week, few a month, maybe you want someone with a little bit more experiencing under the scalpel. Maybe that's just my thought.
Speaker 2: It's such good information generally, because so many of us don't know what to ask a surgeon. Oftentimes if it is something like a hip replacement, typically, well, there's a lot of ways as goes. But you start with like your GP or whatever your gatekeeper is on your insurance. They send you to some orthopedic person who may be a general practitioner who's specializing orthopedics, not a surgeon, right, They kind of talk you through the whole process. Then you end up at the surgeon's office, oftentimes seeing the surgeon briefly and then seeing their PA or their physician's assistant for every other session. So those questions, don't you're always get opportun to ask those questions. And I don't know about you, but what is the best source of even finding a good surgeon? I ask my friends, I ask the doctor friends that I know, right, like, how do you find somebody who's good? And of course then a surgery you probably want them to be on your insurance plan too, because that helps a whole lot spending for your fifty thousand dollars for a self pay surgeon. But those things are always a little tricky. So I think that's a really good just rule of fune, Like, how many of these have you done just out of curiosity?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know about you, but with my clients, all of them see the best doctors in the world, according to them. My guy's the best, My guys the best. I hear this, and maybe it's an error area that I'm in Washington, d C. High political influence. Everyone's trying to one up each other. Everybody has the best of the best of the best. And I see this doctor, I see this doctor, and they're the best. And you see these lists in magazines saying top docs and all of this, and I think, okay, well, not everyone can be the best. No, I want a really good mechanic. I don't need an F one mechanic working on my truck, but I want a darn good mechanic working on it. You know. I want someone working on my body who's done a ton of these, who's incredibly proficient, who's really good at answering my questions, and who's available to me and can answer those questions, and not necessarily someone who's the king of the world. When it comes to this because a lot of those bedside matters not the greatest and you may not get the questions answered that you really need.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's we talked a little bit about that with influence versus educators, Right, It's kind of like are they doing the work or are they talking about doing the work? Yeah, you know, because I know I look at a lot of those those best doctors of whatever, and generally there are things like plastic surgeons and things like that, which I understand because those those I mean, those guys have to market because they're generally not covered by insurance and it really is a product that they have to sell. But you know, hip replacement not so much. And that is really where you kind of want want the person who has a lot of experience with it and is really confident and confident with it, and they're again too referrals. If you've got a lot of clients who've had that, ask them, ask them who's you know, how did this turn out? Or you have a client who had really good results who is resurgent. Keep those names in your rolodex. Oh my god, yes, just really seriously dated me. Okay, not your rolodex in your phone, keep the contact in your phone under medical professionals, because that's really super helpful too, to have a list of people. We'll try this guy, try that guy. Maybe they're on your insurance. Whatever the situation is.
Speaker 1: No question. I think having that referral source is incredibly important, incredibly important. And in today's technology we talked about this with Beth. In today's new technologies, things are coming out all the time. I remember I had a client who was going for a hip replacement. He was in his early seventies, maybe mid seventies, and he was going for a hip replacement. And it was a new technique and this was before the anterior approach became much more utilized, and it was more truly a lateral approach. It wasn't the posterior ladder. It was a lateral approach. And this guy actually invented the technique, according to my client, and I thought interesting, and he showed me a scar and it was a very unique scar. It was like an almost like a seven. It was a right angle and it was small and it was truly lateral. And this guy had his version. And I've seen that there are other lateral approaches out there, and it was very interesting to sort of see that. But I've thought, Okay, how many has the person done? How good was it that my client had wonderful results? But he wasn't an athlete. He wasn't someone who was going to go out there and try and run or play tennis or golf or anything like that. He just wanted to be out of pain from arthritis. So with technology and a lot of people trying to you know, make themselves better, more proficient or whatever, techniques are going to be evolving. And we're in a state now where things are evolving a lot more robotics. I'm hearing a lot about that, especially when I'm in Asia. I'm sure you have.
Speaker 2: Yep, the other thing too, the robotics. There's also something that Beth mentioned which I thought was really interesting was a much better ability to visualize the acetabulum and the femur head and the geometry of that and replicate that, you know, through like three D printing other kinds of things. And that was fascinating because I know years ago it was kind of like, well, there's however many sizes and you're you're somewhere between a two and a three, But we don't have a two and a half, so we're gonna make a choice to give you a two or the three, right. I mean, that was that was kind of where it was, and that sometimes meant that the results weren't fantastic just because the hip didn't fit very well and didn't work out absolutely quite like the other one, or the mechanics changed between the two sides. So that's really wonderful. I mean, those are some those were some really good news that she brought that things have improved the player. There's much more customization, which is awesome because that will make a big difference in people's outcomes.
Speaker 1: I think I presume, I would assume.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I do know that twenty years years ago they said that quarter of an inch to half an inch of leg length discrepancy was fine and still functional, and that's still a successful surgery. And I thought, man, that's a large number. Anybody who's ever had a leg length discrepancy will know that a quarter of an inch can be huge on the low back, on your spine, on everything that comes above and below it. And one of my clients had after a hip replacement, I think it was a little more than half an inch and had to have every one of their shoes had a new sole put on. You'd never know by watching them walk, but sure enough they showed me their shoes and I thought, oh, yeah, they definitely had a different sole on one side to the other. And they said, yeah, it's a pain in the butt every time I buy new shoes, I gotta go and have this custom on the outside, not the inside, on the outside sole of the shoe to make it higher. And I thought, wow, all because they were sort of those in between sizes. She was in the matter of field, and she said, yeah, they brought in three from what the doctor said, and so they made the best determination based on what they saw. I thought, man, that's and when we think about hip geometry, you know angle of the of the femeral neck, you know the twist. Is it a little forward, is it a little backwards, is it turned? There's so many variations that you can't just go in and say, well, this is going to be everybody says the same. No, they're really not.
Speaker 2: No, not at all, not at all. So when I and again, you've you've probably worked with more hip replacements than I have. I've worked with a few, but I think you've worked with more of them for more time, and certainly more recently because I haven't worked with a lot recently. But one of the things that I often say about hip replacements is, and this is based on all the people that know that have had them, some of them are clients, some of whom are friends, it is when it is a successful surgery, it is a successful surgery. Yeah, you know, I have so many friends who especially went in in very good shape. These are general pilates, teachers, serious athletes, you know, movement people go in, have the surgery, do really good rehab on themselves, and come out able to do anything they want to do. You know, one of them that I often think of as a massive skier. I mean she does hella skiing and backcountry skiing several several you know days every winter. And this is like, this is what's possible, right, So I think that's the good news in a way, this is what's possible now with hip replacements. But and you know, in the butt is what I said in between there, which is she was in really good shape when she went in, and she did really diligent rehab on the back end, and she knew what to do, and she went way beyond what the physical therapist said. She went way beyond you know what the standard protocol is and really worked to regain as much function, stability, strength, mobility as she could after the surgery.
Speaker 1: I think we're in a We're in an age now that the baby boomers are more of our clients. I'm a gen X, but baby boomers are more of our clients, and I think they have, unlike their parents, I think they have greater expectations of what they're going to be doing for the rest of their lives. I think that statistically, yeah, they want to they want a hell ski, they want to go skiing. It's like I've worked for so many years. I'm retired. Now I want to travel. I wanta da da da da da da da da da da. And they have those expectations and to be limited by something like a hip replacement or a knee replacement or whatever, it's sort of like new I'm not going to be limited because I need I have things I want to do and need to do. I've got my bucket list and I need to do them. So I think previous generations were much more Oh, I'm sixty five, I'm going to retire. I'm going to sit at home now, I'm going to sit in my rocking chair. And that's not what we're seeing. We're really seeing the people who want to push their bodies.
Speaker 2: And also who are and this is statistically true too, hip replacements are happening a lot younger. Yeah in people right, that used to be like, you know, you're seventy two, you fail, you broke a hip, We're going to replace your hip. Now it's you know, somebody who's fifty five. They've been as serious whatever they've been doing, and they need a hip replacement because they want to keep doing what they're doing. But they're fifty five, and you know, any joint replacement that they talk about has a lifespan and sometimes they can last kind of forever, but sometimes they really don't last forever for a variety of reasons. And so the younger somebody is, the more you really want to make sure that that hip replacement, that prothesis is protected as long as possible, so you really maintain good mechanics there so that doesn't wear out any sooner than it needs to.
Speaker 1: And that's a great question you just brought up, is when do you do ooh a hip replacement because the traditional twenty years ago, I had this happen countless times where a client would suddenly come in with a cane and I'd say huh okay, and they say, yep. The doctor said, use this cane and when the pain gets too bad, then we'll do the replacement. And it usually was two to three months after they were given the cane, because they went in the doctor said, yep, the arthritis is bad. Maybe you're ready for it, maybe you're not. And usually it was a mental component. Usually the person wasn't really ready for it yet. They wanted to be out of pain, but they weren't quite ready for a surgery because in their mind this is so huge, and they were said, here, here's a cane. When the pain gets too bad and you're ready, we'll do the surgery. And so that was really a big question, is when do you do it? Now. I'm having clients approach me saying, look, I'm sixty five years old, I've just retired, my hip is killing me. I have so much I want to do. It's not the doctor says, I can probably put it off another four or five years, but then I'm going to be older and I'm not going to be as strong and this and that. Is it better to do it while I'm younger and I can recover faster, or is it better to wait? And it's one of those questions I'd say, I don't have the right answer for every single client, because everybody's different.
Speaker 2: My sister had a knee replacement about a year and a half ago, and it was exactly that question in her mind. So she was, let's say, howld on. She's probably seventy two or three at the time, and the doctor said, well, you know, yeah, your knee has has been bone on bone for a while at that point, so clearly it was in a pathological state where a replacement would be a useful thing, and a pain state too. She was, you know, on pretty regular anti inflammatories, and she she was that same calculus because she could. She was pretty functional again, she's a plate she plots, mover, she's a gytonic person. She's been a dancer her whole life, so she knew how to manage the pain and how to manage that knee pretty effectively. But she was like, m if I do it now, then I'm still I'm young, I'm energetic relatively, I've got good ability to recover. If I wait five years, I'm going to be in my late seventies. And that was really what you know, she did the same reason, the same reasoning. She's like, I'm going to do it now because I think I will have a better result that will last me longer and not put me back as far that's pretty much cannot to be true, Like it worked well for her.
Speaker 1: And I find that in general, there's a big difference between seventy let's say, seventy one seventy two and seventy six seventy seven.
Speaker 2: There really is. That's a big difference there.
Speaker 1: There's a big difference forty two to forty seven where the body you haven't got much same body had. There's not much difference in tissue quality.
Speaker 2: Even fifty five to sixty I mean, honestly, like it's in the seventies, nos things really are a little different.
Speaker 1: It is, And I'm seeing this with my parents. I'm seeing it with a lot of clients that when a client comes to me at sixty five to seventy it's sort of well, this is something you really need to consider, is what kind of life and what kind of quality of life do you want for the next four or five years. If the doctor says you can probably put it out for three, four or five years, whatever, what kind of quality of life do you want, yep. And if you want to have a very high quality where you can do everything you want and you want to go with your kids traveling and get up and down off the ground with your new grandkids and all of this kind of stuff, maybe earlier makes more sense. But if there's a huge fear, or if there's someone who is prone to infection, if there's other reasons to put that off as long as possible, well then those are considerations too, And we can't just jump into a single case of everybody should be doing it like this, right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so, So, Bran, I want to bring up a couple of things here. So one of the things is Beth talked in a particular way, and I wanted to bring that up because you and I mentioned it a little bit, but I think it's really important. She really talked as if everybody is getting excellent care meaning that right, meaning that they've got a really good surgeon, and then they're given really good physical therapy PT and they're released from PT at the appropriate time once their strength, their mobility, their ability to do their daily life is at a certain level. Right, that's that's awesome, and that's wonderful when that happens. You like me, have had people where that was not the case, where they were that had hip replacement and they had you know, six weeks of PT and then they were really and they were still Yeah, they're still limping, they still don't have like range of motion back, they're not as strong as they want. They can't really go up and downstairs very well. They can't sit for lone like they This is a problem. And this is sometimes who you might get in a pilate studio is somebody who's really not at that ideally not the point where you should be working with them. They're a little early. It's just a client you've known for a long time and they trust you. They're going to come to you, maybe earlier than you would like.
Speaker 1: That happens constantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of my mentors called it residual functional deficits, Okay, and that's really what it is.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they come out of physical therapy, they're given a certain amount of time. And I brought up the fact that's you know, sort of like, hmm, that wasn't one hundred percent sure. But I have had a number of people literally released from physical therapy. Days after they're released at home, they go home, they get home care for three visits. And what those three visits are, Here's how to use a walker, Here's how to get it in and out of you know, off the john, in and out of bed, into the shower. It's more occupational therapy than physical therapy. How to put on shoes basically, how to use a grabber to help put on your shoes or a shoe long, shoehorn. It's that sort of thing. They weren't really getting the same amount of physical therapy that you would get in a normal PTS office, and they were released and the doctor literally said, just start walking on it. Your body will figure it out. And Okay, when I was thirteen and I busted my arm, sure I didn't need physical therapy afterwards because I was I played baseball, I did this, I did that, and I figured out how to use my left hand again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's a little bit more of a challenge.
Speaker 2: The other thing we've talked a little bit about, and we'll talk more about it in our next episode. Which is on a prehab kind of concept for a new replacement or hip replacement. Is not only that, but if somebody has been in a painful situation with that hip for a period of time, chances are really good they've got some funky gait patterns happening anyway because they've been avoiding hip pain for god knows how long, which often means that you know they're tied in their ql. They're tied here. Their backs may be a little bit funky because they're just using their body in a very asymmetrical way. Often if it's a one side hip hip problem, and that means that all of that is still there after the replacement.
Speaker 1: That's the whole. That's the whack a mole we've talked about exactly. I my mother in law, she needed knee replacement for years. She put it off way too long. And guess what, she was walking up and downstairs using her low back. She was only hiking her hip. That's how she ben me to get all up.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about how you have to to not bend your knee. That's a big hippike.
Speaker 1: And yeah, after the surgery, her knees weren't the issue. Her back was on fire and suddenly that was the issue. So you're gonna see that. You're going to see that whack a mole or as we I say, you know, it's like layers. One thing gets better, it's got that next thing, and it's got that next thing, and you create these compensation patterns as you go through life.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, to avoid pain. We want to do everything to avoid plant pain and seek pleasure. That's the human experience. And if my knee is hurting, guess what I found. We're in Chicago walking around. Guess what. By the end of the day, I've got an arthritic big toe. It was hurting. Merathotics usually help for whatever reason. If I walk too much, it starts bothering. I was limping. I shortened my gait on my left foot. I realized I wasn't bending my toe as much.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But I realized it because we study the body and I could feel, wow, my gait is really funky. So so I started taking shorter strides on both legs, trying to make sure I was walking a little more evenly. And I thought, but for the average person, that would just be a normal thing for weeks and weeks on end and what would happen. They would create those bad compensation patterns. So that's what we're going to see with someone who is going through this much pain for a long period of time and needs that hip replacement, that they're not going to just be able to snap back and immediately walk on it and suddenly figure it out because those other compensations are still there. You don't erase them just because you have the surgery.
Speaker 2: So that in mind, Like you know, when I work with a client post tip replacement, I'm looking at a bunch of things in terms of just assessing things. And again it could be a client like yours who's had really minimal care and is released into the wild, probably earlier than they should be, or somebody who even is maybe a year out but still not things aren't working well, you know, they're still really tight here, their gate's funky, they don't have endurance whatever it is. And this is a basic hip assessment, right. We look at mobility, we look at strength, we look at range of motion, and then we also I spend a lot of time, as I'm sure you do, on functional movement looking at gate, you know, looking at how are they walking, how are they sitting down, how are they getting up? And I'm thinking of your environment in my environment are fantastic for this. Personally, I'm a little bit in a love affair with the coraline right at this moment. And if I'm working on somebody with a hip replacement and I can get them on a coraline, I know, guys, this is a specialized piece of equipment that bounced body makes that's really quite wonderful. But all this standing up patterning gate is incredibly valuable whole body integration. But really focusing on gate and reciprocal leg motion like that is, you know, getting them back to walking well. Not walking but walking well is a really key foundation of what I'm trying to get them to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, a lot of it comes down to I want to get them stronger. I want to get them more mobile, YEP. I wanted to make sure that they can do some of the basics in life, like get them up and down out of a chair because again, we're going to see those compensations where they're going to You're gonna see them lean from one side to the next. And we've talked about this in our assessment thing when they just walk in watch how they move, how do they sit down? Do they use their arms? Are they pushing off with one side? Are they twisting? Are they doing all of these things? Because that's going to tell you a whole lot, and you can create your programming to sort of begin to work. I'm going to use a word work around it. It's not the right term, but I want to begin to erase some of those compensations by saying, Okay, I need to pattern them to use that left leg more. So we're going to focus a little bit more on that. I'm not a huge fan of people of the whole concept of equal on each side. If they're weaker on their left side, do an extra set of one leg exact? Why not?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: Yep, it's going to be stronger.
Speaker 2: The dominant side will never give up being the dominant side unless you really were ever side, and actually often will never anyway. But the only way to get the week side stronger is to work it period. Absolutely Again, working by laterally doesn't get you there.
Speaker 1: No no one thing that I wanted to talk about and bring up that. Beth talked a lot about the anterior replacement being more of the standard now in her practice, she works primarily, I believe you told me with one group of physicians or one doctor, I've got a number who send their people to me. So I can you right now that I've got sort of my you know, Casher people.
Speaker 2: Every option depending on the surgeon's preference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the whole thing. There are three different approaches, and I think we should spend just a few minutes talking about each because each has strengths and each has weaknesses. The anterior approach is sort of the newest approach, and about twenty years ago, the anterior approach was primarily there for revisions when they'd have to go in again and remove the appliance that's there, and you do not want a revision. It is no fun. But that was typically from what I've talked to a number of orthopedic surgeons, that was typically what they used for that because it was just easier. They didn't have to worry about dis locating the socket and all these kinds of things, because it was just an easier way to do it. The posterior lateral was what the gold standard was. That's what almost everybody did. And if if I had to do it today, I don't know which I'd want only saying that because with the direct approach, or actually be the direct anterior approach is what it's known as, it's the newest, it's the latest, greatest, uh as Beth said, it's supposed to because they're moving muscles out of the way in order to create access to the joint. When you move the muscles out of the way, you're not cutting through them necessarily as much, and recovery is supposed to be quicker. And I just read a meta analysis and it says that the first two weeks they seem to be recovering faster, but after twelve weeks they're all equal roughly.
Speaker 2: That's interesting, and that would makes perfect sense. I mean, if if you're not if you're not trying to knit tissue together, which you have to with the posteriu poster approach, you're cutting through issue which has to actually heal back together presumably right, has to kind of get organized. If you're only just moving things around, then yes, you're not having as quick recovery at least recovers quicker at the beginning because the tissues weren't damaged exactly.
Speaker 1: Perfect sense, but against makes perfect sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the three months mark. Then things the tissues are presumably knitted back together, and so then you're kind of at parody, right, Is that's what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Yeah, is that they're pretty much equal Now with the posterior lateral approach, they're cutting through the glutes. Okay, they're primarily cutting through the gluteaus maximus. It's more of a it's coming from behind and to the side. It's a longer scar. I've seen as short as like nine inches, as long as twelve. I mean, I've seen some really long large scars here. And it really is you talk about invasive, it's they're really going through their their traction. They're moving the sciatic nerve out of the way, they're pulling it aside, and they're cutting directly through and they're going in. They have to oftentimes cut through all of the smaller external rotators and then dislocate the socket and do all the work that they need to do. With a lateral approach, they're cutting through. Depending on the surgeon, sometimes they will just remove they will cut at the insertion at the tendon, the gluteous medius and move it out of the way. Sometimes they'll cut through the gluteous medias, depending on the surgeon, depending on their technique that they've learned. So each of these you're talking about additional time spent healing because they have to cut into muscle tissue. They have to. Now, the main difference that we find is with that in the lateral approach, when they have to basically mess with the gluteous medius. A lot of times I can leave a limp, if you don't get good care afterwards, it can really mean that side never quite catches up. That gluteus medius is always sort of a little weaker. Again, great physical therapy can help with that. What we do can help with that. But we do see and again I could not find I looked everywhere. I could not find any data that said a third of them are here and you know forty percent do this approach. Every doctor's a little different, so we don't have those numbers. I don't see a lot of lateral approaches. I think the posterior lateral is still kind of the big one that you know we're going to see versus the lateral. But when they are cutting through those muscles, that's going to take some time to heal well.
Speaker 2: And what happens when you cut through something, you end up with scar tissue, and scar tissue creates stability. That's its whole point, right, is to glue together pieces that are not attached anymore, but scar tissue. Also, depending how somebody build scar tissue, scar tissue can create stiffness, can create weakness, can decrease the glide in the fascial layers, and things can kind of stick to each other. Sometimes a lot of scarring that kind of goes through multiple layers and all of that can change those mechanics. One thing too, is if there is scar tissue, whether it's from actually cutting through the tissues like a Posteri pister lateral approach, or whether it's even just moving the tissues out of the way, probably disturbing them somewhat in that process with an anti approach. The way that from fascial science, the way the tissues heal the best is by being first being used in the way that they need to be used, kind of being released from the tension and getting rid of the gluey bits, so manual work or that kind of thing to get rid of the sticky bits that are not allowing it to move as it should, and then training it to move and to create fiber angles and fascial fiber angles in the direction of pull where you really want it to be. And that's movement, right, That's not being that's not being immobilized, that's not sitting in your chair. That's movement. And repetitive, regular, consistent movement is what makes those changes.
Speaker 1: And getting them to move as quickly as possible does seem to help. Now I'm going to say this the difference between them we talked the first two. We talked about this with Beth, the postier lateral approach. We really want to avoid certain ranges of motion and for how long everybody I hear different things based on different doctors. When doctor will say forever, another doctor will say three weeks. You hear different things. So, but the traditional for the post your lateral, you don't want to flex them above ninety you don't want to do internal rotation or come across the body past the midline. Those are the ones you want to avoid because if you think about it, that's how they dislocated the hip to remove it from the socket in order to do the replacement when they went in.
Speaker 2: The way that I remember that Brian is don't sit and cross your legs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know for a client.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like because they're like abduction adductionflection. Like just imagine you're lifting your leg up, you're going into more than ninety degrees of hitflection. You're going into probably some intern rotation, and then you're going into some a deduction. Right, that's exactly where that you pop that femur the most out of the socket.
Speaker 1: Right, that's kind of we're talking and we're talking about crossing your legs where you're here and not sort of just putting the ankle on the other knee, because that's external rotation.
Speaker 2: It's crossing it like lady like ladies cross.
Speaker 1: It, bingle like ladies in a skirt cross it. If that helps, exactly, that's that's the best. That's a great way to put it, because again that is what will sort of distract that out of the joint. Possibly. Again, I've never had someone have that happen, ah, but I have heard horror stories from physical therapists that have had you know, patients that have had that happen. But that's sort of one of those question marks of when do you when are you allowed to do that? When can you work those You just have to be monitoring that, especially in the plate setting, because we do a lot of a deduction and could that create some instability because that gets a lot is fairly stronger to create and gets stronger and there's not as much abduction maybe, But this is just something we have to work on balancing because we want both to be strong. We really want them both to be strong.
Speaker 2: So thinking about exercises like kneeling abdominal's facing back right, which is a traditional exercise at least in the balanced by the repertoire right there, you're going into hip flexion above ninety degrees. That's the whole point of it is to get to so as a little bit stronger, and that's where you're like, you'd want to be careful of that, right, you want this especially at the beginning. Now, I know I can think of one particular one of my instructors or educated that I know, teacher that I know, who had two hip replacements and she specifically asked for hardware that allowed her to maintain an unusual and of hip mobility. Huh So she she was a dancer and she wanted to basically be able to still like you know, lift her leg up above ninety degrees in like you know, And so the doctor chose a prosthesis and as a tagalam that basically allowed more range of motion.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, that's interesting that that was.
Speaker 2: Novel to me. And she had again she said, both hipster places and had a very successful that's been very successful. Other things she's had issues with, but the hip replacements have been extremely successful. And she really had like amazing range of motion afterwards, which was a little scary to all of us who worked with hip replacements. But yeah, you do you if that works for you and you know how to manage that, go for it. I would never ever ever do that with a client, but I'm glad you can do it.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, Because if you think about it, there are certain exercises and plots feeding straps that I've I mean, you've seen this before. People who are incredibly flexible, they're going to want to show off a little bit and go into larger ranges of motion. And people we all know these people who want to do certain exercises no matter what their bodies are telling them because I just love the way it feels. Okay, but your new hip may not. So you just have to sometimes be aware and remind yourself, okay, in this position that hip is going a little bit above ninety, maybe we restrict that range of motion for now, until we get heads, until we get you know, thumbs up from the physician. The thing I want to make mention between these three that I find the most fascinating and one of the most irritating for the clients is what happens if there's nerve issues, because and I say this because I've had a number of people that have had issues with a direct anterior approach that have nerve issues. There's something called the lateral frontal cutaneous nerve, and that nerve sometimes gets cut, sometimes it gets tractioned out of the way during the surgery, and then they end up with this numbness. And they say it's anywhere from twelve to eighty percent of people. Now that's a gigantic number. This was the meta analysis, So I'm just throwing the number out there. From what I've talked to physical therapists. They say, yeah, they say it about twenty percent of people. Sometimes the numbness goes away. I've had some people that it drives them baddie. They say it's like a little small nerve sized football about this big not where the scar is sort of anterior to the scar that's numb all the time. And anybody who's had siatic pain and numbness down the lake, it can be incredibly irritating. And some people it comes back, and some people it never does, and that numbness and throbbing and whatnot just sort of is persistent forever.
Speaker 2: Well, that would make sense when you nerves don't like to be messed with. And I always say, oh, nerves have a memory. Remember, they go up to your brain and they have a memory. And once they get insulted, sometimes they remember that insult for way longer than you'd hope they would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And nerve issues with the postery or approach is about one to two percent because there is a sciatic nerve and sometimes when they're getting it out of the way, they traction it a little too hard, they do a little bit too much compression, and that can cause some issues. More more often than not, that does come back. The sensation comes back, you know, But they say anywhere from like one to two percent of people with that approach. Sometimes that does occur. But again that's a one small right that's very small.
Speaker 2: It kind of speaks to the robustness honestly, the phatic nerve versus there's a much smaller, uh you know, containous nerve in the front because you know, the satic nerve is pretty honk and then you can't kind of take a whole thing and just move it. And I suspect that the other nerve is a lot smaller and can get nicked without even realizing you're in it. If you've ever seen like those little tiny nerves that run through tissue, you know you have to look for it to make sure you're not doing something to it.
Speaker 1: Interesting, and let's think about this too. If you're doing the anterior approach, you're still cutting some tissue. You can't sort of go in there without going in there. So even though they say we're moving things out of the way, there's still fossil tissue you need to cut. There's still skin there's out of those tissue, and there is nerves running through that, there are blood vessels there are there's still there's still all of that that needs could be gotten through. Now. The interesting thing is that if you have a much higher BMI, they are much more reluctant to do an anterior approach, and I think just because those tissues are sort of in the way they say people with big, meaty thighs or people who have a much higher BMI, they're much more reluctant to do that. And could that be a reason why is there's they have to cut through a whole lot more and it's a little more difficult. I don't know, but they say that that's one of those big question marks that they'd rather do the posterior lateral approach. So again, these are all things that you know, I'd heard. I was reading those meta analysis and it was really kind of fascinating sort of seeing the actual numbers, but the main number was the outcomes at the three month marks, six month mark, twelve month mark. We're almost identical between all three approaches.
Speaker 2: Bran, it would be good to you know, again, I'm not sure how many nerds are really out there, but to put the fence for that in the show, because I think that sounds really interesting. That sounds like got like a really valuable thing just to have have in your back pocket and to be able to refer to. And and again I would say at least in my experience that the outcome apparently at least how much of them analysis says this, But the outcomes I think are as much based on how much so give given that they're all are are equal in the you know, in those those those time frames, that the results are really a lot dependent on what the person does, right, So I've got to assume that then it's not so much the surgery that's going to influence that outcome as it is how you, as a person with a hip replacement, or you, as a person teaching a person with the hip replacement, work that client back into as full a functional ability as you can. You know, good mobility and the hips, good strength, particularly in a deduction, uh, good range of motion. In terms of I imagine, and you can talk to this, I imagine hip extension gets a little limited with an anterior approach. I mean, that's what I would assume is and we know that that causes troubles all the way down the pike, especially honestly in the plate studio, where hip extension is kind of a thing. And if you're lacking hip extension, especially on one side, you're going to be pretty asymmetrical in terms of how you're moving and a lot of common exercises like bridging or knee stretch or other kinds of things.
Speaker 1: Now, what I've noticed, this is anecdotally, but also from the literature that I've read, is that for the anterior approach, those limitation it's sort of the opposite limitations of the Postier lateral. So you want to avoid hip extension and external rotation, but for a very brief amount of time. They usually say until the tissues really heal is when you want to avoid that. So you're talking weeks, you're not talking years. And from what I've seen, they get that range of motion back a lot faster because they're not doing as much damage. There's not as much scar tissue within the musculature because more of it was able to be moved out of the way that they do have. Sort of that range of motion comes back to them a little bit quicker. And again this is anecdotal. I've had a number of people who have had this, but that's sort of I've had more that I've had the Postier lateral, and for them there's a lot more restriction, and I will say functionality wise, I see it faster in the anterior approach, but over, Like I say, the course of six months to a year, it's about becomes about the same. But you're right, it's what you do with the person. It's what we're doing, the exercises that we choose, what they do on a regular basis, and what they can do consistently, because if they're not willing to work consistently, it's not going to work for them, and they're going to have limitations. And those limitations. I said this with Beth. You get one shot, do great physical therapy and to do great rehab. After that, you're really playing ketchup and it could take you two, three, four times as long to get back that same functionality as if you took it right from the start and did great rehab at the beginning and took it seriously.
Speaker 2: And this gets back to just you know saying earlier about when tissues are healing, when things are getting used to where they are right, everything's in a slightly different position than it was before. If you let that settle in, if you let that scar tissue develop, if you let those stiffnesses develop, like repairing, that can take forever. Whereas if you really start the movement and patterning the movement asap. And again there's all kinds of limitations. You know, the first six weeks you're pretty careful of a lot of things. Six six weeks to three months you're still careful, and then after that you're a little bit less careful. But basically like really getting the movement patterns, even if it's non weight bearing or very relieved, very relaxed, very simple. I think of like leg slide right, or even assisted leg slides or supported leg slides, just things that are getting that mobility going in the appropriate way, getting those tissues to respond. That's where you're going to rebuild the tissues in the appropriate way, as opposed to again letting scar tissue and stiffness develop that then you have to get rid of later.
Speaker 1: And this is what I love about the springs, because when you do use the springs on the Cadillac, I can give so much more assistance with range of motion. So I can get them to do a lot of ranges of motion that they're really not strong enough necessarily to do on their own at the beginning, whereas I can deweight them. And I mean you said it great in the last episode. By moving the bars in different places, you can change where that vector is coming off of the spring, so you can and by changing that it can give them assistance whether they need more flexion or a deduction or a deduction, whatever it is. You can really adjust it and fine tune it in a way that before I use the Cadillac, I mean I was doing it with bands with you know, trying to tie them up behind the person and trying to do it in some weird ways. The Cadillac is so good for that. It is wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all all the feed and strap stuff that's my go to goes to replacement, and really with any hip issue sort of if I'm doing prehabilitation and start there too, or anybody with a hip problem, it's like just getting the motion going with support, you know you can you can start. I was kind of like below zero, right because you're taking gravity off. So if I'm let's say, lifting my leg to the front in basic hipflexion, that might be too hard for somebody or cause a lot of pain. I add a spring to that, I deweight that leg, and then sudden they can do the movement and get that pattern back in their body, start to get the strength going, and then we just build that up, whether it's abduction, adduction, extension, or reflection like all those things, we have the the abilities to do on the table as supported as we need to, and that's been like my absolute go to.
Speaker 1: And what's great about it too, is you're actually strengthening the opposite side. So if I'm assisting with hip flexion as they put that leg back down, guess what they're actually getting their gluten hamstring focused on as well. If you're doing it an abduction, you're getting the A deductors firing as you pull that leg down, So it's a it's only benefit official. I have not had a person that I've been able to that I put on there that has not gotten benefit from it because it by deweighting it, it assists in so many different ways, and I can really adjust on how much of their body weight they're using, and even if it's a heavy spring, they're still getting a lot of you know, of that other side, so they're getting.
Speaker 2: Strength and support, right, So they're getting strength in one direction and mobility in the other direction, and again at whatever level they can tolerate, yes, And that's that's been my classic go to for people that are pre hip replacements where I'm just trying to get the muscles firing around the hip again, because a lot of times they've gone wacky, You've gotten a little dysfunctional because of pain, and just getting them going again, like waking them up in a way that they can do it without increasing the pain. And those things are that's just a wonderful tool for.
Speaker 1: That, absolutely, and something to keep in mind when you're working with these people. And again, I often will see them probably before they should be coming back in. I hate to say it, but they've been released from PETE or they've only gotten eight visits or whatever it is. Everybody has different medical insurance and different limitations, and some people just I had hated my physical therapist, so I want to come to you. We get that too, and when you're getting those people work within where they are today. And I say that because there's a lot of times when we we get bored before the client does, and we want to push them. In physical therapy, a lot of times they push them a lot harder sometimes than maybe they're ready for. Not always, but occasionally I see that, and then they come to me and oh my gosh, I'm in so much pain because of that. So I say, find what level they're at work with that, get them comfortable, make small adjustments, increase the resistance slowly, and they're going to get stronger. I take my time with it. I don't try and rush them through. Physical therapists often only have a certain number of sessions to get them to a certain level, so they have to move faster. I don't have to.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, we have the luxury in a way of really luxury. It be as progressive as it needs to be. Yeah, you know. And the other thing too is I've become much more of a fan of this. And I know many of you have trouble with getting your clients to do homework, but in something like this, homework is critical, absolutely critical that they do something, and it can be very simple things. You know, what I actually say is give them three things. Don't give them twenty. They will not do any of them. Nope, you give them three. They may do those three. So this is the three most important thing you need to do. And it may just be like standing at their counter doing heel raises right like that may be standing on one leg, work on balance and maybe walking around the block like like, just give them three things that they can do. That really helped to focus on getting the mechanics back, moving the leg in appropriate directions like whatever, whatever the.
Speaker 1: Thing is, and make them accountable for it, all them on it. Consistency. I remember I was teaching a class up in Canada and I was talking with one of the other instructors who was running the fitness facility, and he said, look, how many times a week do people come and see you? That's that one, between one and three. I think that's the average, But again, we charge a lot, so for some people it's once a week. He said, how can someone be consistent with once a week?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I agreed, they can't, right.
Speaker 1: And that that struck home for me a lot more than I ever thought it would, And I remember on the flight coming back, I thought, wow, that really sort of underlines the importance of homework, underlines the importance of making sure they're consistent when they're not in front of us, and then following up and asking them the questions, hey, did you do your homework this week? I did it once?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, great, okay, and let's try for two one next week.
Speaker 1: We're you know, I tell them every day and it's a psychological thing. If I tell them every day, I'll be lucky to get it three times. But if I tell them three times, I'm lucky to get once.
Speaker 2: Exactly. No, So just tell them every day. There's one of the teachers that I work with says something that I really like, and it's a little phrase I'm going to keep in my mind, which is that consistency is the currency of the body.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, yeah, And.
Speaker 2: It's like so true, right, Whatever you do regularly is what your body learns to do, period. And you know that if you've got a once a week is doing nothing else, their progress is pretty flat line. Like they might make a little progress, but it's pretty flat line. Twice a week. You get some three times a week, like, man, you could be like a rocket ship. So you know, really, consistency is what really makes the change. We just know that that's how the tissues work, that's how the brain works.
Speaker 1: Yep, one hundred percent. I couldn't agree more. Keep them honest about it, make sure they're doing their work, you know, and keep changing the homework too, because I find even I become a little bit complacent sometimes because I give them the exercises and they're doing it great, and then I have to remind myself after a month of it, well, it's time to change those.
Speaker 2: Right, I got upgrade. I got upupgrade.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So that's something I have to even remind myself. So we all sort of get into that those patterns. So keep them ones, keep them working, and get them moving as soon as they can comfortably, and that work comfortably whatever way they can exactly. There may not be comfort you got to get right.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing, is comfortable enough, And that can be a fine line, right, comfortable enough, not causing irritation, not causing inflammation, not causing a vast increase in pain. But they may not be comfortable. I mean, you know, like a lot of my clients are chronic pain clients, and everything they do hurts. It's just a matter of it hurts in the in the direction of getting better, rather than it just hurts and it's in the direction of getting worse. And that's you know, that's just that's always a tricky one.
Speaker 1: I think we covered this pretty well. I think there's a lot of information here. There is, you know, I think after the last session, or the last one with Beth, it was sort of Okay, this can't be covered in a single hour because there's so much and like you said, we are all in our own little bubbles. We all have our physicians who send people to us or the people that we see on a regular basis. We're not a hospital that sees hundreds of thousands of people a year. We have a small subset sect of doctors that send people to us, and so our experiences are going to be limited based on I'm in Washington, d C. If I was in Omaha, Nebraska, I'd probably be seeing different people, you know. If I was in Calgary, I'd be seeing different people. So we always have to remind ourselves of that as well. So that's just something to keep in mind.
Speaker 2: I want to really appreciate brand that I think a lot of what we've talked about here is in some ways not the ideal circumstance, right, Like the things that may show up nerve issues and different things that happen with different surgeries, and different things that we've seen happen with clients, getting clients way early in their rehab process, like those are also just kind of the reality that we sometimes face. I really appreciated that. I also really appreciated that meta analysis study, which is like, oh, that's all good information out there, So thank you for bringing that forward to to really bring sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, we'll put in the show notes so you can read it. I'll be honest. I read through and I need to read it probably four or five more times before I get one hundred percent of it, because it's very, very dense, and it's based on not a ton of studies. They're only like twenty four to twenty five. But let's keep in mind the anterior approach for hip replacements is still kind of new. Fifteen years ago, it wasn't done that much. I remember my first clients going into it and they're saying, oh, yeah, my doctor's only done four of them. I'm like, ooh, I don't know about that. Now they've got a lot more experience, so there's more studies that are being released on a regular basis. So there are some meta analysis out there, so you can look those up. I will put them in the ones that I saw in the show notes so that everybody has those now. I will say this, do us a favor, hit that like and subscribe button. I know I forgot to mention that earlier, but We really appreciate it. Every time you do. It helps us out a ton, especially when you comment. The majority of the people that listen to our podcast are not subscribers, so if that's you do us a favor, hit that subscription episodes may not float your boat, it may be sort of like I don't know if I really want to, you don't have to listen to it, but it helps us out. The more subscribers we have, the better it is for us, and we get this in front of more people, so we can really help some people. So we really appreciate every one of you for listening. If you want to reach out to us, do us a favor. We can do it through email, through Movingcombos at gmail dot com, or through our Instagram page Moving Combos. Those are the best ways get in touch with us. You can also check us out on YouTube under my name Brian Ritchie. So for Norah, Saint John and Brian Richie, We'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Bye guys,