Speaker 1: Hey everyone, and welcome to another deep dive with us. Today. We're going to be looking at ngix, oh yeah, which is something I've heard so much about over the years.
Speaker 2: It's everywhere these days, it is.
Speaker 1: And we're going to be looking at the NGIX Cookbook twenty nineteen to kind of guide us through this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so much in there. We're going to give you.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, we'll boil it down.
Speaker 2: The highlights and make it so you can walk away and know what ngix is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll give you like a cheese sheet of this resource.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, first of all, what is ngix and why is it such a popular web app tool?
Speaker 2: Well, at its heart in gix is a web server, ok. But it's also so much more than that, right, I Mean he can act as a reverse proxy, a load balancer, a content cash oh wow. And it's really become popular because it's just so efficient, Okay, Like it can handle just a massive amount of connections without needing a ton of resources.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's known for speed, being lightened powerful, it's.
Speaker 1: Like the engine of a race car. I was gonna say. Now, in terms of installing it, the cookbook mentions like open source NGI n X and then there's also NGI and X plus. What are the differences there?
Speaker 2: So the open source version is free, okay, anyone can use it, and NDON x plus is a commercial version with some more features that are really for enterprises. And the cookbook will walk you through installing either one on all kinds of different operating systems.
Speaker 1: So it's not super difficult.
Speaker 2: No, it's well documented.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, so you've installed it. What's kind of the first indication that this thing's working?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's a simple command you can run that lets you sort of peek under the hood and you'll see the master process, which is like the control center of ngon X and you'll see its worker processes and that's what's actually handling the requests that are coming in. Okay, so you see this little team working.
Speaker 1: Together, right like this is proof of life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Okay, awesome.
Speaker 1: So n GIX, what's the deal with load balancing?
Speaker 2: So load balancing is critical if you've got a website that's getting any kind of serious traffic. Okay, Basically you have multiple servers, yeah, that could handle visitors to your website. NGI and X acts like a traffic cop, and it distributes those requests coming in across all of those different servers to prevent any single server from getting overloaded and watches.
Speaker 1: So it's almost it's like you've got a team of servers working together to.
Speaker 2: Kind of exactly, they're sharing the lights for the.
Speaker 1: Burden, so nobody gets overloaded. Yeah, okay, and what kind of load balancing can it do?
Speaker 2: So it can actually do load balancing for a variety of different types of traffic. Oh so eh, GTP, TCPUDP. So it's really versatile.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, like a traffic cop that can handle cars and trucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Can you give an example of how this would work in practice?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure. So imagine you have a database and that database is constantly getting read requests. Maybe it's an e commerce and it's serving up product information. NGI and X can distribute those read requests across multiple database replicas. Oh wow, so that no single replica gets overloaded.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not just preventing crashes, but it's also keeping things super smooth for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about performance, performance and responsiveness for your users.
Speaker 1: And NGNX plus can actually brain connections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has this feature called connection draining, which is really useful if you have to take a server offline for maintenance or something like that. What it does is it gracefully redirects any active sessions to other servers before taking that server offline. Okay, so you don't end up with users getting disconnected gotcha in the middle of doing something important.
Speaker 1: That would be bad. Now, we talked about balancing the traffic, but it can also actually manage the traffic, that's right, yeah, right, and shape it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Traffic shaping is a way to control the flow of data based on a lot of different factors. So it could be the user's location, okay, the type of content, the time of day, even you can prioritize certain traffic. Maybe you want to make sure that video streaming always gets enough bandwidth, or you want to limit bandwidth for large file downloads.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's a really powerful way to optimize performance.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like a traffic system that can adapt to the current conditions exactly. Okay, Now, what about the GOIP module.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a cool one. What's that That lets NGI NX know where your user is connecting from geographically, so you could do things like personalized content. You could restrict access to a website based on country, show targeted ads, lots of options.
Speaker 1: So we're moving from a traffic cop to like almost like a concierge for your website.
Speaker 2: It knows where everybody's coming from.
Speaker 1: No. In terms of security, ngi X is also pretty powerful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so NGIX can what are some of the things that can do. It can do basic authentication okay, so require users to log in before they can access certain content. It can validate JWTs, which are tokens that are often used for secure communication. And it can control access based on IP address, like if you want to allow or deny requests coming from a certain range. Okay, so you have a lot of options there.
Speaker 1: And what about the secure link modules.
Speaker 2: The secure modules are really neat. It lets you generate temporary expiring links to specific files or resources. So imagine you have to share some confidential documents with a client. You could create a link that expires after a certain amount of time.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it also enforces those secure connections.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So NGNX can be configured to force browsers to use HTTPS, which is the secure version of the protocol.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about protecting data that's at rest, it's also about data that's like traveling across the internet. Yeah, transit content cashing. How does NGNX do that?
Speaker 2: So CASHI is about making things faster by storing copies of content that's access frequently closer to the user. And GIX can do this in a variety of ways. You can create these custom caching zones, and you can actually define rules for what gets cashed and how long gets cashed for based on things like cookies or request parameters.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's not just blanket cashing everything.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's more intelligent than that, exactly. Okay, and what about this purging.
Speaker 1: So purging lets you remove specific content from the cash instantly. So if you've updated a web page and you want to make sure that users are seeing the latest version, you can purge that old version from the cash.
Speaker 2: Yeah shah, so that they always get the freshest content exactly. Okay, So we've got this cashing magic happening. But I imagine we can like fine tune it even more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are a lot of ways to tweak the settings for optimal performance.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me an example.
Speaker 1: One thing you can do is keep connections open.
Speaker 2: Between NGI and X and the clients and servers that it's talking to, So that reduces the overhead of constantly establishing and tearing down connections.
Speaker 1: Keeping a conversation going yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: You can buffer responses in memory to avoid having to write data to disc all the time. You can tweak settings in the operating system itself.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. So it's like a more holistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about optimizing the whole environment.
Speaker 1: Whole environment. Okay. Now, what are some other cool features that ngnx has.
Speaker 2: Well, For one thing, it supports HTTP two, which is the new or faster version of HTTP. And it has support for something called gRPC.
Speaker 1: Okay, gRPC, that's new to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a modern way to build APIs okay. And then there's a really cool feature called server push.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's server push?
Speaker 2: So server push is about anticipating what the user is going to need before they even ask for it.
Speaker 1: Wo.
Speaker 2: So it's literally like reading the user's mind okay, and then sending that content to the browser in advance, so everything loads super fast.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it seems like NGNX is like this multi tool it is of web development. It does all sorts of really incredible things.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've just scratched the surface here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about how it can balance loads, manage traffic, it can act as like a security gatekeeper, it can cash content, and it can really just make websites perform at their best.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this is really just a taste of what NGI and X can do. Is a big world, Yeah, it is, and we're gonna keep exploring it in our next episode.
Speaker 2: I can't wait where we talk.
Speaker 1: About automation and all the cool things you can do to make NGIX work even smarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll dive into the programmability of it, how to automate things, So be.
Speaker 1: Sure to join us for that and until then, keep on learning.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to our NGI andX deep dive.
Speaker 1: Glad to be back.
Speaker 2: So last time we talked about kind of the core functions of GX as a web server and load balancer and security features. This time, I think it'd be cool to talk about automation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love automation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who doesn't.
Speaker 1: Who wants to do things manually? What can we actually automate with ngix?
Speaker 2: So a good place to start is the ngix plus APIA, which gives you programmatic control over just about everything in NGIX.
Speaker 1: So, like I could write a script that like adds a server exactly, you can remove the server.
Speaker 2: You could add servers to a group, remove servers from a group, change configurations on the fly.
Speaker 1: Wow. That's powerful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super powerful.
Speaker 1: Now the cookbook also mentions that you can integrate it with other tools like Puppet and chef and antsable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all those configuration management tools. Right, you can use them to manage your whole NGI and X setup. Okay, so you're not manually going in and changing.
Speaker 1: Files, gotcha. So it's like infrastructure as code exactly. What about container environments?
Speaker 2: So ngix works really well with containers. Okay, there's a official Docker image for NGNX.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And there's this thing called the ngix ingress controller.
Speaker 1: Okay. I've heard about ingress controllers, but I don't really get it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So an ingress controller is basically the front door to your application in a Kubernetes cluster. It manages all the traffic coming in and then routes it to the appropriate service.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So the ngix ingress controller is using NGI nx's power to efficiently route that traffic and balance the load.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. And the cookbook also mentions dns SRV records.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are cool. So DNSSRV records are basically a way to define a service by name, okay, instead of by IP address.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: And this makes it super easy for NGIX to find and route traffic to the right services.
Speaker 1: So it's like a phone book for your services exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like a dynamic phone book, and it.
Speaker 1: Just makes things so much more flexible. Now in terms of debugging, what are some of the things that NGNX can help with.
Speaker 2: So logging is your best friend, okay when you're trying to figure out what's going on with NNGI and X right. AGNX has really good logging capabilities, okay. And you can customize those logs in a lot of different ways, gotcha. You can feel to the information, and you can stream those logs to a central server, so it's not just like looking at a giant text file. It can be a little more sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if you're using NNGI and X plus R, you actually get this really cool monitoring dashboard that shows you everything that's happening in real time.
Speaker 2: Now, we talked a little bit before about performance tuning. Yeah, what are some of the key techniques to keep in mind?
Speaker 1: So a lot of the stuff we talked about before applies here.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Keeping connections open between NGI and X and the clients and servers is talking to is a big one, Okay. That can really reduce overhead buffering responses and memory. It's another good one that helps you avoid having to write data to disk. Okay, and then tuning the op reading system itself can also make a big difference.
Speaker 2: So it's like optimizing the environment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly that ngix.
Speaker 2: Is running in the cookbook also mentions the importance of well organized configuration files.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is a big deal. Why is that because it's really easy for those files to get out of hand.
Speaker 2: Especially if you're working on a big project with a complex setup, So you want to make sure that they're well organized, they're easy to read and understand, and if.
Speaker 1: You run into problems, it's easier to exactly, it's a lot easier to find and fix errors. Right now, speaking of troubleshooting, what are some tips for debugging?
Speaker 2: So one thing you could do is use the ngix D command which will check the syntax of your configuration file. That can catch a lot of the simple errors early on.
Speaker 1: Right before you actually try to restart it.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Okay. You can enable debug logging for specific parts of your configuration, and if you get really stuck, you can actually get back traces from cordum.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it's like a whole forensic investigation it is. Now, let's talk about cloud deployments because it seems like merx is super popular, pretty popular in the cloud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know cloud platforms like Aws and Azure, they have their own load balancing solutions, but a lot of people still prefer to use nngix okay, because it's so powerful and flexible.
Speaker 1: So they're almost bringing their own tools.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: What are some of the scenarios where n gix really shines.
Speaker 2: So on Aws, you can use NGI NX behind a network load balancer, ok to create really highly available and scalable deployments. You can use it to route traffic to different availability zones, which are like geographically separate data centers, gotcha, And that gives you resilience against outages. So even if one data center.
Speaker 1: Goes down, which one goes down? The other one can still handle the traffic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What about Azure?
Speaker 2: So in Azure you can use Nginx with virtual machine scale sets and then lets you automatically scale your application up or down based on demand.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So NGIX can really act as the glue between all these different parts of your infrastructure. And it can talk to AWS, it can talk to Azure, It can even talk to on premises systems.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it really ties everything together. Yeah okay, now I'm curious what's next for Nginx.
Speaker 2: Well, one area where NNGNX is already making a big impact is in micro services architectures.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a hot topic it is. How does nginx help with microservices?
Speaker 2: So in a microservices world, you've got all these little services talking to each other, and managing the communication between those services can get tricky. GNX can act as like a central point of control. It can route requests, balance loads, and just make sure everything is running smoothly.
Speaker 1: So it's like almost like a conductor for your micro services orchestra.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: But with all these moving pieces in a microservices world, how does NGIX stay on top of it?
Speaker 2: So that's where automation and programmability really come in Okay, you can use the ngix plus API to dynamically reconfigure Nginx as your architecture changes.
Speaker 1: So it can adapt exactly to new services coming online and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yep. And there are tools like console template that can automate those changes for you.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's cool. So it's almost like self healing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can build really robust and resilient systems with gix.
Speaker 1: So we've talked about a lot today, from automation to configuration management, to the cloud and micro services. What are some key takeaways that our listeners should keep in mind?
Speaker 2: So I think the big takeaway here is that ngix is an incredibly powerful and versatile tool Okay, and it can be used to build really high performing, secure, reliable applications no matter what kind of application you're building, whether it's a simple website or a complex distributed system.
Speaker 1: So it's not just for big companies, no, not at all. It can be for anybody.
Speaker 2: Anyone can benefit from using ngix.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: The cookbook is a great place to start, but remember that the ngix ecosystem is always evolving, so just stay curious, keep learning, keep experimenting.
Speaker 1: Great advice. Be sure to join us for our next episode where we talk about Nginx and media streaming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's going to be a fun one and.
Speaker 1: Some advanced security features. Until then, keep on learning, and we are back for the final part of our NGIX deep dive.
Speaker 2: I can't believe we're already here.
Speaker 1: I know it's flown by. We've talked about so many things we have, but we saved some of the I think most exciting stuff for.
Speaker 2: Last Yeah, they're really fun.
Speaker 1: Media streaming and some advanced security stuff. So let's start with streaming. How does NGNX handle media streaming?
Speaker 2: So ngix has become super popular for delivering all kinds of media, video, audio, live streams, you name it.
Speaker 1: And what makes it so good at that?
Speaker 2: Well, for one thing, it supports all the major protocols like HLS and mpig dash. Those are essential for adaptive streaming, right.
Speaker 1: And adaptive streaming means that it can adjust the quality based on the user's connection, so you don't get that like buffering and stuttering. It just works now I understand ngion x plus can actually and genxlus has some do some even cooler stuff.
Speaker 2: Extra features with me, yeah, like dynamic packaging and casing. Okay, So imagine you have a big video file. Ngixplus can actually split it up into smaller segments on the fly, and then those segments can be streamed and cashed more efficiently.
Speaker 1: So it's like taking a big file and breaking it down exactly into smaller chunks so they're easier to work with.
Speaker 2: It's like slicing a pizza, Okay, you don't try to eat the whole thing at once.
Speaker 1: And you can also set like bandwidth limits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can control the download speed for different clients or groups of.
Speaker 1: Clients so that you don't get that like.
Speaker 2: Inges exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, now let's move on to security. Okay, we talked about some of the basic security features in the past, but what about like some more advanced stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So NGNX has a lot of tools for protecting your applications.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: One area where it's really good is mitigating DDoS attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, and d DOS attacks those are the ones where I want someone tries to flood your server trying to bring it down, and NGNX can actually help with that.
Speaker 2: NGI and X plus especially has some powerful features for that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It can identify and block malicious traffic in real time. Using things like rate limiting, IP blacklisting, and even behavioral analysis.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's got a whole team of security guards working for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's constantly watching.
Speaker 1: Now, you mentioned JWT validation before, can you explain how that works?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So JWTs are these tokens that are used for secure communication between different applications.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: X plus can validate these tokens okay, to make sure that only authorized requests are allowed through.
Speaker 1: So it's like checking your IDs exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like a bouncer at a club, right.
Speaker 1: And of course we need those secure connections absolutely, So hgtts, YEP.
Speaker 2: Ng I and x can enforce HTTPS and it supports really advanced s SLTLS configurations.
Speaker 1: So it's not just like a basic it's HTTPS implementing, it's the full package. Okay, So how do we actually monitor.
Speaker 2: All this logging? Logging? Logging, blogging, that's your best friend, okay when it comes to security monitoring, Okay, NGI in X logs can tell you a lot about what's going on.
Speaker 1: So they're not just like useless.
Speaker 2: Information, No, they're super valuable.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And if you're using NGI and x plus, you get that real time monitoring dashboard that can show you things like blocked requests or failed authentication attempts.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's like a security camera that's constantly watching. Now, even with all these security features, what happens if something goes wrong?
Speaker 2: So ngn is actually built for high availability and fault tolerance. You can configure it in active active or active passive modes to make sure that your applications stay online even if one server goes down.
Speaker 1: So it's like a backup generator kicks in if the power goes out, exactly, and I bet we can automate that process.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely. You can use tools like keep alived ok to automatically switch traffic over to a healthy server. And nginx plus has this zone sync feature that keeps important data synchronized across multiple servers, so.
Speaker 1: It's like a self healing system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: Wow. NGNX is amazing.
Speaker 2: It is a pretty incredible piece of software.
Speaker 1: It is it is. So as we wrap up this deep dive, what are some final thoughts for our listeners?
Speaker 2: I think the biggest takeaway is that ngix is an incredibly powerful tool, Okay, and it can be used to build really high performing, secure, reliable web applications. No matter what you're building, whether it's a simple website or a complex distributed system.
Speaker 1: The cookbook is a great resource.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great place to start, but the ngix ecosystem is always evolving, right, So keep learning, keep experimenting, and never stop exploring.
Speaker 1: That is fantastic advice. Thank you so much for joining us on this deep dive into the world of NGI and X. It's been a pleasure, it has and until next time, keep on learning.