Speaker 1: Podtave America's brought you by Simply Safe. Summer travel season is officially here, which means it's time to pack your bags, double check your itinerary, and panic about whether you remember to lock up your house before you left, or you can arm your simply Safe system and head out confidently knowing simply Safe has your back. I set up as simply Safe as you know, credibly easy to do, customize it to my house. It arrived, set it up, the app incredibly reliable and great. The customer support was always there and really helpful, so highly recommend it gives you a peace of mind. We simply Save you and customize your system to fit your needs. Then it chips fast direct to your door. The app guide It's set up is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can install and arm your system in under an hour. Simply Save is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras. In twenty four to seven professional monitoring, over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring and your first month is free. Just visit simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simplysafe dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 2: There's no safe like simply safe. Welcome. I applied Dave America. I'm John Favra. I'm John Lovin Tommy Detour on today's show, the US and Iran have signed a memo to end hostilities, allegedly for now. We'll talk about it as well as the implications for Iran's nuclear program, Israel and our own mid term politics. Will also dig into Trump's eightieth birthday celebration, which involved the much anticipated White House UFC fight and lots of opportunities for him and his pals to make more money. Gavin Newsom just announced that Trump's goons at the Justice Department are investigating his wife in a bid to derail his potential presidential campaign. We'll get into what we know about that. Then Tommy talks to Senator Mark Warner about the Iran situation and with the Senate can do, and why he's pushing his colleagues to confirm Trump's new pick for DNI. Before we start, please consider subscribing if you haven't already. You get ad free episodes of Pods of America and all your other favorite crooked pods. You also get to know that you're supporting independent, pro democracy media. You get full access to our substack newsletters, our subscriber only shows like Polar Coaster with Dan Pfeiffer, and all kinds of other goodies. So check it out cricket dot Com slash friends. Become a Friend of the Pod subscriber today. All right, let's get to the news. The Iran War appears to be over and Donald Trump has lost. US and Iranian officials have signed a memorandum of Understanding shorthanded as an MoU that extends the ceasefire another sixty days, reopens the strait of horror moves in exchange for ending the US naval blockade of Iran, and kicks just about every other issue to the next phase of negotiations, including Iran's nuclear program and economic sanctions relief. Iran has certainly suffered significant casualties and damage in this war, but Trump's war didn't topple the Iranian regime, destroy its military or ballistic missile capabilities, and around support for proxies like Hesbola or eliminate its nuclear program. By the way, those were all of the objectives that Trump and Marco Rubio laid out way back in February and March when this whole thing started. Other than that mission accomplished, which seems to be a face saving agreement that lets Trump pretend he won, which he did shortly after arriving in Europe for the G seven on Monday.
Speaker 3: The Delzo side and the strangers already partially opened, as you know, they're doing a little hunting for a couple of minds. The ships are starting to go out now. On Friday, it'll be completely opened. It's not like the Obama document, which was just a terrible document. I think it's going to be free sailing. We do want to see we get straight out the Lebanon thing.
Speaker 2: Where were they, by the way, the least presidential backdrop I've ever seen. I don't know, somewhere in France if he's with Macran, but if they're on.
Speaker 1: A porch or somewhere, I don't know where they were.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the Obama document was terrible, and we do want to straighten out Lebanon. Maybe Lemon and Lemon and so the Administration says the full text of the MoU won't be released for another day or two. But based on the details that have been reported, how does the deal look beyond the headline summary that I gave, you know, the.
Speaker 1: Old Mike Myers thing, like you know, the soup nuts or anither sup or nuts. Like It's like, this isn't this is the replacement nuclear deal. It's not nuclear, we know that. But it's not really even a deal because presumably in a deal, both sides would have to concede something, and I can't figure out what Iran has conceded. I know what the US gave up right, I know what we're uh, well, you know, there's a massive fund that they could get access to sanctions relief. They make it a bunch of cash. They get to cease fire in Lebanon, which they want to try to constrain. Iran seems to have agree to the Non Proliferation Treaty, had already agreed to, and to reopen the Strait of Hormons, which was open one hundred and nine days ago. So this is not a deal. This is the US surrendering in order to reopen the negotiations it stopped when it bombed Iran.
Speaker 4: This is a deal to temporarily deal with the fallout from the stupid war we started in hopes of maybe getting a full nuclear deal.
Speaker 2: The accomplish our goals.
Speaker 4: I mean, you you laid it out. I mean the Trump described his goal as he did a video statement right after they started the war. He said, We're going to destroy their missiles and raise their missile industry to the ground. Where do you annihilate their navy orre to ensure that the region's terrorist proxies can no longer destabilize the region or the world. Then attack our forces and we will ensure that Iran does not obtain a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 2: I guess we like, maybe you get one for four of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we took out your navy, but they saw the straight of hormuves closed, so that doesn't seem good. So, like I this is hard to message because this was the best deal available to Trump and for the world, because it ended the war and we were seeing economies in Asia collapsing. We could see it still see a global famine because of what was happening. But Trump accomplished none of his goals, and I think we should we have to message that and Irana knows that can shut down the global economy at any time by closing the Straight or her moves, and they could get hundreds of billions of dollars in sanctions relief, like this is a disaster, and the Trump and Yahoo like then Yahoo actively tried regime change by killing the Supreme Leader. Trump was for it when it seemed like it might happen. But the net effect is there's now a younger, more hardline Supreme Leader and a more entrenched IRGC running the show, and the United States looks like we're unreliable and weak.
Speaker 2: I thought it was very funny that in one of his truths about this, Trump was like, I hereby declare the straight open. And then you look at some of the fine print, or at least some of the reported details. And before the war, the Strait was controlled by no one. It was old body of water, and now it will be controlled by Iran and Oman together apparently. And so you don't really hear Trum talking about that, although he is saying it's toll free. It's toll free like the calls that we used to make back in the eighties and nineties. Sounds like it might be toll free for sixty days, and then iran as plans to slap a toll on that shipping. Yeah, they've said that they can charge fees, so that seems to be even that seems to be in dispute right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, you know, Trump is saying that it'll be fully open by Friday when the sign when they signed the agreement, but when they were last talking about what the deal would look like, it was going to take thirty days to potentially remove the mines that are in place. And I don't know if I were I were an oil tanker, I would definitely want to go after several.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't want to be first.
Speaker 1: A lot of like no no after you, after you, exon, no no, no after you.
Speaker 4: Every restaurant opening gets delayed, you know, like when you do a remodeling, takes a lot to get the cat out.
Speaker 2: You want to be the third or fourth oil tank for sure, maybe fifth or six? Can I read you, guys?
Speaker 4: One quote from a senior administration official. I'm pretty sure his name rhyme so with a HEYDI prant. One of the really cool things and interesting things about this entire process that we actually have a direct relationship with a number of people at the highest.
Speaker 2: Levels of the Iranian government.
Speaker 4: You know, you could have just called them and not killed like their whole family.
Speaker 2: So that the war the war, the war was literally the friends we made along with That's what that's what we learned.
Speaker 1: It's like, hey, man, I know it's hard to make adult friends.
Speaker 2: Jdvan the male loneliness crisis, he's saw unbelievable. With the Iran war. Where's the There's some back and forth on the sanctions relief too, So it's like, first it was we heard some reports that there'd be twelve billion and sanctions relief right away, with another twenty four billion coming later depending on what Iran does. And then Iran's asking for like a pot of three hundred billion dollars that they might be able to access down the road. Now it seems like there's no sanctions relief right away. But it's also like where is the money coming? This is like it would be unfrozen asset. It's right, yeah, there's much of unfrozen.
Speaker 4: Like there's a bunch of frozen money, that is the Iranians money is sitting in banks and Qatar for example. Then there's all this Tacola guth up to a three hundred billion dollar investment fund that will come from golf countries. I think the truth is no one knows Iran's real money is going to come from slapping fees on ships that go through the strait or her moves going forward and sanctions relief.
Speaker 2: Is my guest selling all its oil again?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's they've already claimed that the DOCU sign has done or however they did it over email. What is released the text? If the if the Iranians have seen it and signed it, and we've seen it and signed it, there's no secrets between us. So to me, like, I don't I can't think of a reason why Iron wouldn't want the text out there. It seems to me that Vans and Trump are trying to spin this thing until we see the text and everybody loses their fucking mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe there's something about Jeffrey Epstein in the text. Oh yeah, that could be he negotiates this thing. There we go. Boy, that would be what a surprise that one connect the conspiracy. Trump was always going to say whatever deal signed was better than Obama's Iran deal. You were saying Tommy this morning that the comparison is apples and oranges. Yeah, in the case.
Speaker 4: In the case of the apples, there was a deal that when it's a force, and that worked for a couple of years. According to Trump's own top national security aids. In Trump's case, there is no deal. There exists a framework to talk about possibly getting to a deal. And just to remind everybody, with a JCPOA said the preamble of the JCPOA said, quote, Iran reaffirms and under no circumstances will Iron ever seek develop or acquire nuclear weapons. Right, So whenever Trump says, look, they said they're not going to get a nuclear weapon. That was already enshrined in the JCPOA and also enshrined in another treaty called the NPT, we won't.
Speaker 2: That's a labor that.
Speaker 4: But to make sure that Iron could not get a nuclear weapon, the JCPOA said, Iran had to reduce its enrichment capacity by two thirds. I meant like taking down or shipping out or shutting out all their centrifuges. They had a Captain Richmond at three point six percent purity, three point six seven percent purity. They had to ship out ninety seven percent of their stockpile and allow the IAEA to inspect all of their nuclear sites in the cree to not build a new enrichment facility for up to fifteen years. Republicans are always mad about the sunset provisions in that agreement, but it was working, and it worked, and it sounds like Trump is maybe at best going to get a similar deal after launching this disastrous war that he could have gotten if he just tried to renegotiate. Yeah, we need a president without sunset provision.
Speaker 1: Is the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does seem like now that the blockade will be over and the strait is open, Like, it's not like there's a lot of pressure on Iran to get something out of these negotiations. It's just if they want sanctions relief, which I'm sure they do, then maybe they make a deal. But they've also been going on quite a long time without sanctions relief, so it doesn't seem like there's a forcing mechanism here. So Israeli and US officials are both saying that Israel's withdrawal from Lebanon is not part of the agreement. Iran and Pakistan are saying an end to all military operations in Lebanon is part of the agreement. Trump has also been publicly attacking that Yah Who over the last few days for launching strikes in Lebanon that nearly tanked the deal. He told Axios that BB has quote no fucking judgment. So this chapter of the conflict seems unresolved. What do you guys make of the Trump BB dust up and where this goes from here?
Speaker 1: That was in an interview in which Trump said that Israel launching those strikes delayed the deal from going through, and then after the deal goes through, in which Iran and Trump are claiming Israel is bound Nenyah who says he doesn't see eye to eye to Trump and they retain all their prerogatives to defend Israel from attack. And so I don't understand what is supposed to happen over the next sixty days and how you get to the end of sixty days without Trump threatening further military escalation to get to a deal, or Israel threatening military escalation or there being some kind of a fight in Lebanon. Because in his first comments about this, Who said, plainly, we reserve the right to prevent Iran from having a nuclear weapon that will continue to be our position regardless of an agreement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every time Detnyah who wants to try to blow up talks or prevent a deal, he just bombs somewhere in Beirut. And he tried that move again here and it seems to have pissed Trump off, and actually I think probably sped.
Speaker 2: Up the deal.
Speaker 4: You know, do you think it's hard to overstate how negative the reaction to this deal is in Israel?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 4: I follow this one Israeli political security analyst who was in the idea for twenty five years. Then he ran the head of the Iran branch for Israeli military intelligence at one point, so, like you know, pretty hardline guy. He described the deal as a political insecurity catastrophe for Israel because the nuclear issue is unresolved and the fact that Trump lost the war will likely defer future presidents from taking military action against Ron. What you're just saying there about the lack of stick now for the Iranians And it also it seems like iron will end up stronger because they will have all these financial incentives and there will never there won't really be a credible to turn anymore, because no President's going to want to touch the stove. And so this is a huge for Ntnia himself. He was mister iron, he was mister security, he was the guy who could manipulate Washington. Now he's none of those things. He's got an election coming up. And here's what some of his opponents are saying. Aving Dor Lieberman said a catastrophe. From Israel's perspective, that was one quote, Yeah, you're lapede the moderate. This is one of the most shocking failures of Israel's foreign insecurity policy period. So I think I'm also watching whether n Yeah tries to blow this up. I mean, they're currently occupying the Ford operating line for the IDEF right now is six miles into Lebanon. They say they're not going to retreat from that, but they're also going to get shot at by Hesbulas. So I just I'm not sure how this is going to go. But he needs to be careful because he needs Trump's help both politically and in terms of security support going forward.
Speaker 2: But also you can imagine from Trump's perspective that he's thinking, Okay, I got this whole thing done. If the negotiations over the nuclear program don't really go anywhere. No one at home's really going to care or notice, and I can just move on. Bbe though, for everything you just said, Tommy clearly is not done with Lebanon and Hesbela and is now feeling all kinds of pressure yep, to continue that. I'm sure Trump thinks, well, BIB can do whatever he wants. Now, I'm washing my hands of this, like I don't I don't want to deal with it. But Iran knows that the best way to get the US back into the conflict and to draw them, to draw us back in, is to close the straight again. So like you can imagine that, like BB goes into Lebanon and then there's another and then Iran, you know, fires to help let Hesbela and they go back and forth, and Trump wants to stay out of the whole thing, but Iran of course knows that it can get us back into the whole thing just by closing the straight again. And so like Trump's Trump's dream, I'm sure is like let these people fight it out. I don't care anymore. I want to wash my hands with this, Like I just don't think it's gonna be that easy.
Speaker 1: Do Hesbela can launch missiles at any time to draw Israel back into the conflict and draw criticism from the world because Israel is escalating the conflict in response to Hesblad. Part of what Iran has been doing is using haze Bla to make this conflict also about Lebanon, which it successfully did, right because now Israel, because now you know, Iran can call off Hesbla for a short period of time while demanding Israel adhere to a ceasefire in which it's perpetually under threat from Hesbela in the north. So it's just the stupidity of this war. We will just be living with it for just a very very long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, the Iranis have said, they've made clear that if the Israelis hit targets in parts of Beirut, they will fire back directly at Tel Aviv. And that's the linkage they created in the two conflicts. And I think it's a very dangerous place for Nanyahu to bebs people, especially in northern Israel, feel like they're living under constant threat from Hesbwela bombardment. They are, Yeah, it's totally fair to feel that way, But in terms of as a security measure, this such as backfire fired spectacularly for Nanya.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about how the memo is playing in magaworld, which has been divided over Iran Bloodthirsty warmonger Lindsay Graham raised some eyebrows when he tweeted that, while he was pleased to hear the strait will be reopened, he's quote somewhat concerned with what the Iranians are saying about them. You believe that Congress must have the final say on any nuclear agreement, and quote, it is imperative that the architect of the deal, Vice President Vance, and his negotiating partners end quote, be part of presenting any final deal to Congress. Uh So what's that all about? You think? And have you guys seen any other noteworthy reactions from either the anti war magafaction or the Iran Hawks.
Speaker 1: Saw John Bolton criticizing it. The Lindsay Graham being unable to criticize Trump because Donald Trump cannot fail, He can only be failed. So pathetic. You want to hang this around JD. Vance's neck because he's easier to criticize. You feel like you have a little bit more. You're just just not scared of the guy. It's just it's all sort of the usual pathetic instagram.
Speaker 4: The anti Iran hawks are losing their minds. I interpreted Graham's comments both as wrapping this thing around jd Vance's neck, but also maybe suggesting that this would be subject to a sixty seven vote threshold in the Senate, which means it would be dead or Yeah, treaties require too to vote. The jcpoway was not treated as a treaty, thus future presidents were not bound by it, So maybe that's the argument here. But like Mark Levin, the Fox News host, is losing his mind on an hourly basis, He's getting in fights with like the National Security SEMIA, the neo kon thank tanks are losing their minds. There's one called FDD, the Foundation for the Defense of Democracy, which is just this garbage human beings, you know, propped up by right wing billionaire money who do nothing but push for wars that they nor their kids will ever fight in. I haven't heard APAC way in that. That's they've been sort of suspiciously quiet. So but the hawkish wing of the Republican Party is furious. They know this is a capitulation, they know Trump lost. They're just trying to figure out how to undo it.
Speaker 2: I hate to break it to Lindsay Graham and maybe JD. Vance, but I don't think Congress will be viewing any kind of deal anytime soon because I just can't imagine a deal actually getting done at this point. A good point you can see Graham going after Vance is like you said, because you know it can't criticize Trump, but also it's kind of like a warning shot Jdvance about twenty twenty eight. And it did make me think that if this goes as we think it's going to go, and the Iron Warhawks are all pissed off, someone's going to try to launch some kind of a more pro war campaign in the Republican primary against the Jdvance that is destined to fail, by the way Tom Cotton or something exactly. But you can see Lindsay Cruise. Yeah, Lindsay they want to kind of hold Jdvans up. Is like beware, beware, we're gonna come after We're gonna come after you in a primary with our hawks, which is like, oh, I'd be so snared. Yeah, I don't really know that's gonna work, but you can see that, you can see that maybe like Ted Cruz, who's also I saw thinking about a presidential campaign again. Amazing, amazing stuff.
Speaker 1: This episode is sponsored by Better How not everyone experiences summer as an endless parade of hot dogs, vacations and pool parties. For some people, life's woes don't abate when the temperature climbs in the days get longer. You've got summertime blueser, or simply feeling overwhelm. Better Help is there when you need it. With over thirty thousand therapists, Better Help is the world's largest online therapy platform, having served over six million people globally, and it works with an average rating of four point nine out of five for a live session based on over one point seven million client reviews. Better Help therapists work according to a strict code of conduct and are fully licensed in the US. Better Help does the initial match and work for you so you can focus on your therapy goals. A short questionnaire helps identify your needs and preferences. If you aren't happy with your match, switch to different therapists at any time from their tailored res Love therapy. It's great, you need it. I needed everybody needed. You don't have to say yes to everything this summer. Find support in therapy. Sign up and get ten percent off at betterhelp dot com slash PSA That's Better h e lp dot com slash PSA Bots Americas. Brought you by Willie's Remedy. I Love Willi's. Willis is a premium THC infused social time at crafted by the legendary Willie Nelson. It is a low calorie, low sugar alcohol alternative that actually works, delivering a fast acting you for a social buzz without the regrets that come with alcohol. Lillies Social Tonics coming five mg and ten mg doses. I get the five I want to go crazy with the best in glass flavor experience so smooth and balanced you barely realize you're drinking a THC product at all. At my wedding, we had Willis and Tonic, called it Grin and Tonic. You can enjoy the tonics of the shot zip j over ice or mixing your favorite mockdail Like what I just said. Each bottle of Willies is third party lab tested for accurate dosage, so you can trust and customize your experience. The unique blend of THHC, CBDCBG and L theenane delivers a feeling of calm, clarity, euphoria, and relaxation. One shot of Willies helps you relax on wine and destress. Perfect for taking the edge off at the end of a long day or socializing with friends. Willies offers the kind of feeling that makes good company even better. Willie sold out three times in the first six months with our fifty thousand happy customers, and they just restocked. Willi ships directly to your door in forty states. Order now at Drinkwillies dot com and use code crooked for twenty percent off your first order, plus free shipping on orders over ninety five dollars.
Speaker 2: I'm a huge fan of Willies.
Speaker 1: It's really grace enjoy life in.
Speaker 2: The High Country. Go to Drink Willies dot com and use cocrooked. I want to touch on all the political implications of all this for them midterms and beyond. There's a question of how long it will take for high gas prices and other straight related disruptions to end. A question of whether Trump and Republicans will be able to just move on from Iran and pretend like it never happened, even if the next phase of negotiations hasn't led to a deal by November, and then there's the question of what Democrats say about any of this over the next few weeks and months. Tommy, you want to take the I know you have some thoughts on the last one, especially.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that being a Democrat in this situation is very hard because we are trying to be responsible. And you know, if a Democrat was cutting this deal, of Barack Obama was making this agreement, Republicans would say, you're weak, You're a coward, you lost you know Rinse repeat on Fox News at nauseum, and it's a simple and powerful message, you know, strength versus weakness. Our job is harder because again, ending the war was the best of a bad set of options. But we need to explain why Trump's starting the war has made us worse off as a nation, because I think we just need to kill in Finally, this neo con argument that you can bomb your way to peace, this in I rock. Somehow it wasn't discredited. Then now we're at war with Iran and it's just a nightmare. And so again it's repeating that we failed on the core objectives and just arguing that we could have gotten the deal. Trump will potentially get after this sixty days of negotiation without ever going to war. The original sin was not in twenty and eighteen just trying to renegotiate the JCPOA. And I think Democrats need to be more full throated in support of diplomatic solutions to problems, stopping afraid of their own shadow on this stuff, and more full throated about why regime change wars in the Middle East were a disaster. I thought we'd all gotten there, but apparently not.
Speaker 1: The good news is extremely unpopular, like shockingly unpopular. Sixty days from now is what like mid August, and so two possibilities, well the whole range of possibilities, but two possibilities are there is a deal, in which case Trump will do everything you can to make it seem like he did this amazing move to start the war, to get us to a busy to negotiate the deal, and that'll be about selling. That'll be about us make telling just the story of how we got here and how stupid and dangerous and bad it was. And then the other is God only knows the kind of chaos that could happen in the next sixty days. You know there's algae and the he drained the fucking reflecting pool to paint it blue. But the algie's back, he's not, you know, he's he does not have some magical ability to avoid the realities of the world. And uh, like the I think we will it will be so close to the election by the time we either get to a deal or don't that we will be able to I think make it a big part of people's dissatisfaction with the economy, the high cost of living in everything that will carry on for weeks from now, if not months from now.
Speaker 4: It's also like the straight or moves is not a valve you turn on and off, it's on a gas is not flowing. It's like oil futures prices can go down quickly, but tankers will now have to come out and future tankers will have to go back in load up their gas and then transit it. Like I think there already reports that these oil and gas companies are kind of moving cautiously because they don't know, like that this isn't a final deal. There's no agreement, there's no nuclear agreement. Trump is threatening to go back to war, and so I just don't think this is going to be resolved quickly, maybe it's like months.
Speaker 2: Probably I think even under the best case scenario, gas prices come down between now November, but they don't end up where they were before this conflict started at all, because it's just going to take time. Even the most conservative economic estimates are saying that. I also think for Democrats you go out there, it's like Donald Trump just spent the last year embroiling this country in a war that he lost, that cost us upwards of maybe one hundred billion dollars, and then, however, many more billion dollars people paid in higher fuel costs. And he hasn't seemed to have learned any lessons, nor have the Republicans in Congress. And if you return a Republican Congress to him, they're just going to create more war. They're going to jump into more wars. He's still talking about Cuba, he still has Greenland on his mind. Like the guy is a bloodthirsty maniac, and so are the Republicans in Congress who approved it. And do you want them do you want them to spend even more of your money on more war and making the like what did this war get us? It got us nothing, nothing, nothing. It's just cost It got us nothing, and it cost us a lot.
Speaker 1: Fourteen people died, thousands of people dying in the region, and just.
Speaker 2: Like it made us less safe, as it didn't make the country any safer.
Speaker 1: The you know, when we talk about like you know, the cost being higher, like and the it's always very abstract, like people's lives were ruined by the fact that suddenly their fuel went up, where they suddenly didn't have access to raw materials. Like this had a huge ramifications for the global economy that we felt for a very long time. And by the way, everyone who's just predictab oh, this is when, this is when gas prices will go down. This is when oil prices will go down. The market says what the oil is worth right now. The market says what the gas prices will work. If people thought and knew that the prices would go down, they'd already be down. People have no idea what the future holds because we're dealing with fucking maniacs and the complexities of reopening the Strait and all the rest. Nobody knows what gas prices will be in September or October. If they did, that's what the price would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So one funny footnote on the timing of when the Iron Agreement was announced. The Iranians didn't want to do it on Trump's actual birthday, so they waited until it was Monday in Tehran, just to be as petty as fuck. Which got to hand it to him. I guess yes it was. They literally used the time change to keep both Trump and the Iranians happy, so then Trump could say he announced it on his birthday, but the Iranians can say, no, we didn't because it was Monday.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's no.
Speaker 2: Your eightieth birthday.
Speaker 1: It's adults who care about their birthday. Everything being about Trump's fucking birthday. It is also embarrassing the Iranians feeling like they can get one over on Trump by kind of holding it to not sign it technically on the birthday is stupid, but it's in response to dealing with a guy that clearly wanted the fun of signing the thing on his fucking.
Speaker 2: Birthday, which happened. We have a world run by tyrants. They're all just little petty bitches. It's unbelievable, so dumb. Of course, none of this stopped Trump from celebrating the deal or himself He threw a low key party at the White House Sunday night, where the South Lawn was transformed into a Vegas style UFC arena that hosted a cage match attended by four thousand lucky guests and broadcast it to paramount plus subscribers. The sixty million dollar event paid for by the UFC and other sponsors. It's truly surreal to watch. Here's some of what it looked like. I'll just sort of narrate this for those of you who are just listening. There's Trump and Dana White walking out of the Oval. There's a flyover. I love a good flyover. And here's an actual eagle. It's called also pretty Sick. There's the fight, one of the fights. Yeah, there's a couple of there's a little evil Knieval action happening.
Speaker 4: Home.
Speaker 2: This is one of the fighters walking out from the Oval. Mochelle Obama A man am I right America? Yeah, even the crabs like and that was Josh Hokitt who won the heavyweight fight. He's apparently said that before. That was this is like a bit of his he said it before in a fight. He put it on his Instagram like last year, and so you know, it's I don't know if that makes it better or worse. It's a far right mega thing. They've been saying it from yeah, but for him especially, it's what I'm saying. So, what did you guys think of the fight? So?
Speaker 1: I feel like everybody combined a couple a bunch of things, Like one was the just the brazen corruption of the whole thing and having bud Lights sponsorships on the White House lawn and the crypto stuff and all the rest. The fact that Donald Trump made this event about him and not the country. I think that's a big part of it. If this were a democratic White House that also had poetry slams and readings by Pulitzer Prize winning journalists and other kind of sophisticated events, and then one day Barack Obama was like, guess what, We're gonna have motorcycles jumping over each other on the South lawn. I'd be like, that's great. Having an eagle fly around and land on somebody's arm during the during America celebration, that's great. All these sort of busy bodies on social media being like Thornton Wilder once visited the White House, Like guys, guys, can you can you please not be a bunch of pressy stuck up people. People like fucking motorcycles. I have no problem with that. That is entertaining and it could be on the White House law. Zero problem with that. It is the corruption and then making it about him and it being a right wing maga thing like that is the problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, President's hold events on the South Lone. Sometimes it's a concert. Sometimes it's the dude in a bunny suit rolling easter eggs. Sometimes it's a cage fight. It's like, that is what it is. That but didn't bother me either. The corpus sponsorship stuff that we're going to get in to in a minute is where it gets really gross. But just politically, I don't know that it was smart for Trump. I think UFC fans will love it. Trump super fans will love it. Regular people that are pissed about inflation, or just be like, what are you doing? How are you spending your time this way?
Speaker 2: The Reuters did a poll.
Speaker 4: Just sixteen percent of Americans said it was appropriate for Trump to hold the Ultimate Fighting Championship event for his eightieth birthday, while forty six percent said it was inappropriate.
Speaker 2: The rest for like whatever, I don't care anymore, so whatever it is, what it is.
Speaker 4: But also like there's a lot better sports to watch this weekend, the next one, the NBA Championship. There's a million World Cup games. The Stanley Cup finals were on, Like I was doing other things. I don't have paramount plus, so I couldn't even watch it.
Speaker 2: We have paramount pluts for some some kids programs, and it was uh so I watched the whole thing, and I tried to watch it as someone who was just like, Okay, what if I was not really paying attention to politics, what would this look like? And like, first of all, the production value outstanding A plus. It looked great, Like the whole event looked really cool. There were like and look, there are some UFC fighters who have commented publicly about how this is like a gross thing to do, in cynical for the president to make it all about him, and and we're gonna talk about the coruption and all that. The parts that made it more about Trump were the parts that you are like, what is this? You know? And first of all, also the fights weren't that great, which like I'm not a UFC person, but it was like all of them were kind of quick and the first round knockouts, yeah, and they were like knockouts, but I don't know, it was just and then you see, like it's just like that the number of times it panned to Trump and then it talked about Trump, and then like then there's Mark Zuckerberg and then there's the president of crypto dot com and all this kind of shit, and so like all of the accouterments around it were like could get really annoying. But the fight itself and the and the way it looked with the white in the background, like looked pretty cool.
Speaker 1: But this is where like you will, well we should talk, we'll talk about their corruption. But this is where you can't separate the fact that he is so corrupt from the event itself, because Donald Trump is trying to steal the like patriotism and excitement and prestige of America's birthday and kind of put it on himself. But the end result is really just he gets his stink on like the White House and the event itself, because if you didn't know that this was so partisan and so corrupt and such a boondoggle and such favoritism and just so much corporate interest.
Speaker 2: Then like, maybe it wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: So terrible to have a flyover or to have marine standing behind a fighter whatever. It may not be the kind of thing I would normally want to watch, but it wouldn't be so despicable. But to use the military and to use these symbols for such a corrupt practice, I think is why the whole thing becomes so sorted and ugly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say the walking the fighters out through the oval and the dip room and having all like the Marines there saluting the like it was that that part was like a little.
Speaker 1: Well, just because it's a for profit event.
Speaker 2: And because a for profit event, and the whole America two fifty thing too, because it's like whatever president is leading the country. When it's America's two hundred fiftieth or two seventy five or three hundred whatever, you get to do your own thing right. But they sort of went out of the way to make it feel exclusionary to anyone who wasn't MAGA, and just in the way that they did the event right like they could, and not just by being a UFC fight. You could have done a UFC fight. That still seems welcoming and unifying to most of the country.
Speaker 1: This is where like it's we're back to where Trump was in the first term, where he was always taking pictures in front of the desk. They're fucking tourist because they know they don't belong, and so they walk through this gold plated room that looks like as a gold fungal infection, and kind of they show through these fighters walking through all the rooms like a bit like the kind of it reminds me of like when like human beings in some apocalyptic future stumble upon a museum and they're walking through looking around me.
Speaker 2: Like who built this?
Speaker 1: How is this even here? Like that's sort of the feeling of it to me. Pot Day Americas brought you by Tommy John this summer. Don't be that guy, you know, the one, the one who has full sweat pools under his arm sticking to his shirt and the heat. Well, eat, Tommy John, that's gonna be me, all right. I like your underwear, but don't this is what's gonna happen. I can't stop it. Public transport is asauna. Your walk to work feels medically unsafe. But Tommy John, is you covered with breathable underwear and undershirt's designed to keep you cool, dry, and significantly less swamp like. Just know that Tommy John Bass layers are lightweight, moisture wicking, and built with breathable stretch fabric that actually moves with you, so you're not spending your morning presentation wondering if people can see the outline of your entire back in sweat. Your first purchase is covered by the risk we guarantee, so if you're not happy, Tommy John will make it right. With over thirty million pairs of under our soul. There are thousands of guys out there more comfortable than you right now, so don't suffer this summer. I love Tommy John. I wore only Tommy John underwear is the best, genuinely, So go to Tommy John dot com today and say twenty five percent on your first order with code Crooked Comfort Perfected. Just use code Crooked at check out and upgrade your essentials today.
Speaker 2: It would have been entirely possible for Trump to throw himself a sixty million dollar UFC birthday party without also turning it into an orgy of corruption, but that would take all the fun out of it. First, the broadcast itself. Dana White originally said that the fight would be free on CBS, now owned by Paramount, but it ended up on the nine dollars and ninety nine cent per month Paramount Plus instead. Paramount is of course owned now by Trump all Trump ally David Ellison, who had a front row seat to the fight two days after Trump's DOJ approved his latest acquisition of Warner Brothers Discovery, which includes CNN. I think there's also like a brunch or a dinner for David Ellison that weekend, to big party for that, so everyone is celebrating the big merger. As for Trump himself, ahead of the fight, the president quietly purchased between fifteen thousand and fifty thousand worth of stock in TKO Holding Group, which owns UFC, which is.
Speaker 4: Nothing for him, but like optically so stupid, you know what I mean, Just don't do that.
Speaker 2: Just doesn't care anymore. There were also some tweets that appeared to be between Eric Trump and UFC commentator Daniel Kormier looking for inside information for betting on the fights. The Cormier is saying publicly that his account was hacked. Not to fear the fight still offered plenty of opportunities to make the Trump family richer. Take a listen.
Speaker 6: It's two hundred and fifty thousand dollars performance boss and USD one is presented by World Liberty Financial. Who's casting for broadcast is Trump Cory stock on the official UFC's Threeking two fifties Testil Edition medallions.
Speaker 3: This bouts proudly sponsored by True Social, the real boice of President Trump. Yeah, well, Truth Social.
Speaker 2: Well, I was watching that home, That's what I was like. This it's too much if you didn't catch all that. One of the official sponsors of the event was the Trump's family crypto operation in World Liberty Financial. We've talked about this a lot here. For this event, they created a two hundred and fifty thousand bonus pool for the fighters, which is to be paid in their stable coin USD one. And then you heard there was also a sponsorship plug there for trump coins dot com, which is selling commemorative medallions designed by President Trump at prices up to twelve thousand dollars a piece coin heavy event.
Speaker 1: Some real coin just in eighty attacks whoever's buying these fucking coins?
Speaker 2: Reacting to a bunch of these stories. The White House said that Donald Trump only acts in the best interests of the American publish and that his assets are in a trust managed by his children. So what's the problem, guy, Jesus Christ?
Speaker 4: I mean, politically speaking, Trump should be furious that this thing was on Paramount plus. Right, that limits the distribution. That hurts him, Right, this is his propaganda event. Why is it not seen by more people? So you're like, Okay, I get what Paramount plus got. They got to add subs to get people to buy this. What's the kickback? I'd like to know. The cryptos of is disgraceful. Remember, like the USD one is their stable coin. Remember that Trump's got the mri is to use their stable coin in this transaction. When they invested two billion into finance, that like made it the seventh biggest stable coin in the world. And then Reuters did this big investigation of the Trump family crypto assets. They found the Trump famili has made two point three billion in profit. And then of course on the other side of that, you have like a million retail investors who've gotten fleeced and have taken two point three billion in losses. So this is just an ongoing, you know, show of the way they're using crypto just to like ring money out of their followers. I find the the Eric Trump what's his name, Daniel Hornfrmier. Thing makes no sense, like Eric Trump, so those stories he DM the guy said, hey, is this fight rigged? Because I want to bet on it? And then Cormier's like, no, I got AI hacked? What does that mean?
Speaker 2: You posted the tweet?
Speaker 1: It didn't make sense when Eric said he deleted it because it was fake, But then why would he have posted it?
Speaker 2: Eric Trump?
Speaker 1: Was the first time I believed it might be true was when Eric Trump posted it.
Speaker 2: Yes, me too? And then and then Daniel Cormier he was asked about it at the fight and was just like, that's crazy. Why would anyone believe that? And then he like tweeted are you all stupid? Why would you? But like you posted it. It's interesting because if you look at the exchanges that they posted or the dms that they posted, it's very It's not like it's not as obvious as like, hello, are there any fights rigged? I would like to bet on them? Like it's like you place, how's it going? And he's like, oh, I didn't expect to hear from you, man, how it's good. Good to see you and your family at the fight. Can't wait. It's like, hey, he plays any bets and then he just keeps going. He's like, all right, fine, I'll get to it. Any of the fight's rigged. Who knows what's real or what's fake anymore. Anything could have happened, could have been hacked, someone could have done it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but yeah, well there's the problem with these people being and they don't tell the rog liars, the corrupt liars who It is completely believable to me that it's fake. It is completely believable to me that it is true. You have no credibility.
Speaker 2: I would not be surprised in either direction. You are.
Speaker 1: You are completely morally vacant operators who are profiting every day off the office. We can't take your word for it. Maybe we'll never know the truth because everyone around you as a liar. But that's the price of being so dishonest.
Speaker 2: I guess. Celebrity attendants at the event, it was mostly limited to the MAGA billionaire sector. In addition to David Ellison in the Crypto dot Com CEO MMA enthusiasts and masculinity advocate Mark Zuckerberg was in attendance, maybe not quite out of Della's baggage claim yet were executives from Anthropic, who apparently flew to the Capitol last minute to meet with the Trump administration on Monday. On Friday, the administration slapped export controls on the company's top AI models, which forced Anthropic to take Fable five and Mythos five offline. Anyone want to talk about what this is all about with Anthropic and whether it has anything to do with their earlier dispute with the Pentagon.
Speaker 1: This to me actually similar to the Eric Trump thing. It's because we know that they picked this fight with Anthropic a few months ago. It's actually hard to know what's true. If you read the details. There does seem to have been a legitimate concern with access to the models that were raised by Amazon and others. But then it appears the administration, which has a vendetta against Anthropic, be went too far and its reaction and now the executives have to fly to DC to make nice because it's not about what's in the interest of the Pentagon or the country, but it's about personal relationships and ego, and so they have to figure out how to smooth things over, and you can. It is just very hard to tell the difference between penalizing Anthropic because it's now an enemy of the administration versus actually stepping in because there may have been an issue, or if it's somewhere in between.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, so there was a concern about Anthropics model and the ability for it to find cybersecurity vulnerabilities and exploit them, so they limited the distribution. And then these researchers at Amazon got access to fable five, which is like it's like Mythos with guardrails.
Speaker 2: That they released to the public.
Speaker 4: They were able to trick it essentially into giving them restrict information, and then the Amazon CEO tattled the Scott Besson about what happened. Now, normally, exactly that's what you did, And normally I'd be like, actually, that's good. That's like how the system should work, because you want, you know, sort of a circum breaker there in some way to event the distribution of these models to bad actors. And what they what the administration did was they cut off access for foreign users. But yeah, I mean, it just the thing that was so odd about this is all the little Trump propagandists went to Twitter and they try to dance on Anthropic's grave, and they gave all of us reason to think, oh, actually, this is just part of this ongoing pissing match between Anthropic and the Pentagon, and because the Anthropic doesn't want to create autonomous killer drones or be used in bulk mass surveillance of American citizens. Yeah, it was hard to read between the lines and the Axios story about it too, which is also like, you know that the Axio story sort of came mostly from the administration, and there's some administration official on background saying like, the real problem is they don't know how to Anthropic doesn't know how to communicate with this administration, and the ideological differences are.
Speaker 2: Really getting in the way. And it's like, what does that have to do with a potential security vulnerability that you're saying was the root of the problem here, What does the ideological differences in communication have to do with it?
Speaker 1: Also, if you know that, if you have insight enough to know that are communicating effectively with you, then it seems you know what they're trying to communicate. Call him, Yeah, so hey, like, like, you're not being nice enough in how you're handling me. You have to if you want me to do what you want, you better you better be a little bit more sensitive to my issues and my needs.
Speaker 4: In anthropics preparing for an IPO, it seems like a great way to damage them in advance of that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, but for what it's worth, we should say.
Speaker 4: Dana White and a bunch of other participants at the White House event condemned the comments about Michelle Obama, which was nice to see. Now, the right thing to do would be Donald Trump to call Michelle Obama and say, I'm so sorry that was disgusting, but that.
Speaker 1: Was obviously wouldn't even make a just sort of brush basket refused to apologize in the moment.
Speaker 2: You actually see Rogan's face as soon as he said it, and Rogan was sort of like you like backed away, like do you see what smallest tie was? It was very like a half a time. I want to hear you could tell that like the yeah, the Dana Whites, the people and Donald Trump was probably yeah, like Donald Trump was probably like, yeah, he probably loves He's reposted stuff like that in the past. Well, the guy then gave his like metal to Donald Trum, the guy who made the comment, and Donald Trump accepted it. So it's just like Trump posted a video of the two of them, right those apes. Yeah, we're sort of six months ago through the looking glass on that one. One more corrup date that broke as we were preparing to record this. Gavin Newsom said in a video Monday morning that he and his wife are being targeted by Trump's DJ, saying that federal agents have been knocking on the doors of their family, friends and former employees. In Newsom's words, he said, they're digging through quote years and years of documents and quote abusing the grand jury process, trying to quote look for a crime. Then there was this line, Donald Trump isn't just coming after me because of my mean tweets. He's coming after me because I'm considering running for president. He then went on to attack Trump on corruption for several minutes. We didn't get a ton of detail from Newsom's statement other than the DOJ seems to be focused on Jen, his wife. I saw some takes about how this will be great for Newsom's potential presidential campaign and fundraising. Sure, but it also seems like a fairly chilling preview of what's to come in twenty twenty eight for any Democrat who runs for president. I don't know what you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, it's nice to say it's great for fundraising before we know any of the details about what the charges could be, how serious it is what they're trying to do. But I don't think anybody, even if it does make them get some attention, is excited to find out that there's a grand jury trying to indict you. And you know, we have gone from Pam Bondi, who was as like client and willing to do Trump spitting as you could imagine, until we got to Todd blanche who's somehow even worse. Trump just put his personal attorney in charge of the Southern District of New York. We have a completely politicized Department of Justice on like anything we've ever had before in our history. And part of the job will be about not only preventing those things from impacting our politics directly, but also figuring out how to create guardrails and fix it in the future once Trump is gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as much as I can understand the kind of galaxy brain to political takes like The human take is Gavin Newsom sits down at dinner and it's like, hey, honey, this is to help me in the early States.
Speaker 2: Like, what are we talking about here?
Speaker 4: It's like horribly chilling for your wife to be potentially prosecuted by the Department of Justice, even if she did nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: It's scary. It'll cost them money. I'll custom time. Yeah. Look, the maximally cynical.
Speaker 4: View is that Trump is doing this because he thinks Gavin's talented and a possible competitor to the Republican Party and wants to take him out of the race preemptively by going after his family. Maybe it's all on the merits, right, there was a Gavin Newsom's former aid it was just prosecuted. Maybe it's coming out of that. What we know is Trump is openly called on his attorney general to go after his enemies. He just tried to install Bill Poulty, a man with no national security experience, as the Director of National Intelligence, solely because that man has shown a creativity in using his accessed information to go after Trump's critics. So it seems like part of a pattern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it is the cynical view It's also the like everything we've seen from Trump over the last decade leads you to believe that whoever he thinks is leading in the race for the Democratic nomination going to look to see if there were any kind of possibilities for investigation, right, Like that's all it takes, too, is so? Yeah, so Gavin Newsom's former aid right who ended up you know, being convicted or taking a deal or something based on activities that preceded her time working for Gavin Newsom at all, But doesn't matter, you know, like Jen Newsom has some kind of a nonprofit and is there is there questions about the nonprofit and the payments. Like any any thread that Trump and his administration can pull on any of these potential contenders, they will, and probably knowing that they can't actually investigate all of them at once when they're all on the primary stage together, they're going to go after the people who are leading in the polls. And really, I think the only way you're going to avoid investigation from Donald Trump is if you were last place in the polls and suddenly surprise everyone and then win win a race, and then you know, then they'll get an investigation going pretty fast. Yeah, but that's when he's going to go.
Speaker 1: We need like a junior soprano to be the kind of to be the face of the operation while Tony's running things behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Ben Jacobs on Twitter was like, this is a good case for Hunter Biden being the nominee since he was already already part of that part many ideas flooding himself for this, but that I mean, it is, it's it's pretty. It's to me, it was like a preview of even now where we're like, okay, Democrats could do all the midterms, everything's fine, Like we're heading to twenty twenty eight, and the idea that this is just going to be some kind of a fair fight. And even if there's a lot between Donald Trump refusing to leave the White House or running for a third term and then everything going swimmingly and nothing happened, there's just a ton of room between them.
Speaker 1: We I think we just can say whoever is the Democratic nominee. Regardless of what investigation to launch for the primary, there will be an intensive effort to try to paint them as a corrupt criminal between sort of say sort of June and the election. They will use all the power at their disposal, they will try to muddy the waters. And by the way, like part of this is this is why selective prosecution is so dangerous. We live in a free society and we know that if you start digging into anyone's finances, taxes, history, you can you can try to drum something up. You can find a discrepancy, you can find something that you can use to bring to a grand jury like that. That is what it is so dangerous to have a DOJ like this. And you know that the client right wing media, if they find anything, they will say, well, look, this is this was a legitimate investigation. They found this irs discrepancy, This needed to be punished and without sort of any understanding of how dangerous is to have people being chosen as targets to look for crimes.
Speaker 2: Did Devin front run this? Yeah, yeah, so say the Time Story. I wonder if they got a call.
Speaker 4: From the Time saying we're running this and they got ahead of it or how this went.
Speaker 2: Because I do the Time Story does have some of the some newsome officials on background in there, and it also has some officials I guess from the Justice Department as well, though the Justice Department won't comment officially obviously. They also said that it was like by federal officials in California, not in Washington, the investigation. But I do think that it was we haven't talked about like the politics of this, but I thought it was smart that Newsome got out ahead of it and was able to frame it as Trump coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, like it just shows how much communications have changed over the last decade or two, because normally when there's some sort of crimical prosecution or investigation, you don't say anything, you let your lawyers speak, or you don't comment, and you don't want to put anything else into public domain. They view this as a pr battle, which tells you, you know, they probably feel confident about the legal side of things and they just want to get ahead of the political fight.
Speaker 2: I also think this is going to be a collective action problem because everyone's interests are obviously not aligned here but for the other Democratic and no one's announced yet, so it doesn't work right now. But as we get into this, like all the other Democratic candidates, someone gets targeted like this, even if it's your potential rival, you got to go out and say that it's absolutely bullshit and stick up for them. I think I'll get sticked up for each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's also free. By the way, like, I don't think there's of equity for Pee Boota Joey saying like I think Trump has a point about new Something. I don't think there's a lot of Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a difference between There's a difference between waiting to get asked about it and saying that and then coming out strongly yeah and saying it's going to be a fucking problem.
Speaker 4: What about going down to John Bolton's prison and singing him some sort of song through.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is he?
Speaker 2: Where is he right now?
Speaker 1: Because I saw he's a comment he cut a deal, right, he's cutting a deal.
Speaker 4: But he could I don't think it's gone through the process yet, but I think you could get up to five years even with this deal.
Speaker 2: He was just money. I thought he was just paying money.
Speaker 4: The reporting I read was fine and potentially up to five years and hopefully for his sake that there'll be some leniency. But like the dude was like, sending emails to himself and to his wife and daughter with classified information is like the dumbest thing you could possibly do.
Speaker 1: Look, I've said this before, I'll say it again. I hate what Donald Trump has done to the DOJ. I will not be angry if James Common goes to prison. Wow over here, I'll be listen. I'll obviously be upset about the injustice. But I'm just saying he can use a couple of nights behind those bars to think about what he stuck. I'm just he's so tall, and he's made so many mistakes. I think I think it's morally reprehensible. I don't think it's a good thing. I'm just saying I think he'll videos he does what he.
Speaker 2: Does, posts everything he does. I think that has been an imprisonment all of its own. Sure, inside of a jail.
Speaker 1: Cell, just saying a bulwark, exclusive ceiling, run that tin cup across the bars.
Speaker 2: James Commy MSNBC reports that the Trump administration has been pressuring DOJ officials to come up with a case against Kevin Newsom. Yeah, I mean, so there you go, all right when we come back. Tommy talks to Senator Mark Warner.
Speaker 1: Podda America is brought you by mill In our polarized climate, there's one thing that unites us all dealing with communal household and office trash is terrible. The food waste, the smell, the constant overflowing trash cans that wasn't until Mill took care of it while we weren't even looking. Mill is the oldorless effortless fully automated food recycler. Potato peels, avocado pits, chicken bones, even dairy meal takes almost anything nice while you sleep. Mill quietly transforms food scraps into nutrient rich, shelf stable grounds. No mess, no smell, no fruit vies. You can use the grounds in your garden, add them to curbside compost or milk. Can even pick them up and get them to a small farm for you. And Meal offers a ninety day risk free trials, so if you don't love it, you can just send it back. We have a mill recycler and then Crooked Kitchen Crooked mill SATs. We recycle a total of two hundred and fifty five pounds of food scrapes so far. That's about fifty one pounds a month. Crooked staff or zev Our great designer takes the food grounds home to use in her garden. Try Meal risk free for ninety days and get seventy five dollars off at mill dot com. Slash crooked and use code crooked. That's seventy five dollars off at mill dot com. Slash crooked and use the code crooked.
Speaker 4: My guest today is vice Chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee and the senior US Senator from Virginia, Senator Warner.
Speaker 2: Thanks for doing the show.
Speaker 7: Thanks Tommy.
Speaker 4: So we're speaking on Monday afternoon Pacific time. We're still waiting with baited breath to see if we'll ever see the actual text of whatever Donald Trump negotiated with Iran about their you know, the straight of her moves. What do you know about this digitally signed memorandum of understanding between the US and Iran? And what do you make on sort of the leaks and reporting on it so far?
Speaker 5: I know, zippo, I know nothing more than you, and I think, frankly, even my Republican Senate friends have not seen any of this. You know, we do wonder whether this was time for his birthday or to try to affect the markets today.
Speaker 7: We do know, I think this is less than what it appears.
Speaker 5: And you know, we knew at some point Trump was going to declare victory and the sooner we get out of this war of choice, the better. But if as you know, I hate to kind of like suck up, but if you look at your your tweets today, you know you are absolutely right on all four of the goals that Trump laid out.
Speaker 7: We're not close to any of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you tell, we maybe have an agreement to have more talks where they will try to get to an agreement that's about the nuclear program, the ballistic missile, support for proxies, et cetera. But it's all forward looking as far as I can tell, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, the things we do know are this, the regime is more hardcore now than it was before. The new leader, since we killed his dad, his wife, his kid, more hardcore. We do know that the Iranians have been masters for years at trying to hide the ball on their enriched uranium. And the idea that we're somehow going to get this without troops on the ground or by some international agreement, God willing.
Speaker 7: But I'm not going to hold my breath.
Speaker 5: The fact that that d D and HEGSEF misrepresented how much we had taken out of the Iranian realistic missiles obviously not the case. Since they're still shooting them off, and that doesn't even count their drones. And then we've taken what was an international open gateway of passage straight upward moves and Iran will have something to say on a going forward basis. None of that makes us, None of that makes our golf allies, none of it even frankly makes Israel stronger than when we started one hundred and seven days ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I noticed in the run up to the war, the Iran hawks trotted out of the new talking point, which is that Iran could create a ballistic missile arsenal that was so great that it might be able to prevent the US in Israel from taking out their nuclear infrastructure.
Speaker 2: In the future.
Speaker 4: So I did want to ask you about the state of that ballistic missile inventory and their capacity to manufacture new ballistic missiles. What do we know that you can discuss publicly.
Speaker 5: Well, we know that we have degraded it's both the missiles and their launchers. We took out some of them. The earlier estimates and I can say this because it's in the public that we had eliminated seventy eighty ninety percent are just factually not true, and they have had many of the launchers as well are still existing. They can they can obviously reconstitute some of these missiles. We have not been able to blow up how all that started, and these missiles are significant, but again we took down many of them. But as we go into this war of choice, what we have done, and this is the part where the Iranians I think will come back unfortunately and bite us, is they have been dribbling out their missiles. We have been using, both with the missiles and the drones, very expensive interceptors that cost you know, two and a half million dollars apiece, and they have bled down our supplies, our supplies called allies, even Israel supplies, so that if they have anything close to what we presume, they can continue to bleed that down and at some point we won't have the capacity.
Speaker 7: To take them out.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons why it was so insane that we didn't take the Ukrainians offer in December, where they were going to say, we will give you our anti droned technology, which they have the best in the world, which could have at least taken down the Iranian drones.
Speaker 4: Right right, And you mentioned the new sort of set of leaders. I mean that the previous Supreme Leader of Iran was quite well known. He'd been around for a while, as were a lot of the senior members of the IRGC and the Iranian military. Then Israel in the US killed a lot of them. Now it's iron it's led by this new crop of leaders. You know, Supreme Leader's son is apparently really wounded in hiding, but presumably more hard line than maybe his father, since we killed his dad, we killed his wife, we killed his kids, I think reportedly, Now there's a new crop of younger IRGC generals who seem to be more firmly entrenched. Trump keeps saying that the new crowd is more pragmatic.
Speaker 2: What do you know about the new crowd?
Speaker 5: There is absolutely zero evidence that anybody in the new crowd is more pragmatic, that is more westward leaning. They may live in fear, and I think we have put fear of God, and I'm but the idea that they're more willing to make a deal. There's been no evidence to date that I've seen in any intelligence on that. And matter of fact, the structure Orion was they always had, they have a government, and they have a former military that's a little bit separate from the RGC. The one thing that is the case is that the government, which was sometimes more moderate in the more traditional military, they have lost power in this last one hundred and eight days. So ier GC, more radical, more.
Speaker 4: In power, excellent, a big win for us. What we think is maybe the outlines of a future deal would require Israel to honor a ceasefire in Lebanon against TSBLA as well. Do you have any confidence that net Yahoo or Hezbolah will honor that ceasefire because it seems like Netnya, who is a pretty decent political incentive to blow up the deal given the initial response to it in Israel.
Speaker 5: I have no confidence that BB who's got his own political problems, and I think in many ways has it really hurt Israel's reputation in the region around the world.
Speaker 7: And then the.
Speaker 5: Again tragedy on top of tragedy. I think there was a moment in the fact that Israel is negotiating with the Lebanese government if we could have actually put some oomph behind that and help the Lebanese government, who does have a military, actually disarm has Belah. The people of Lebanon might have come out of this better. They are not now, and instead you've got the net Yalu government bombing not only the Shia, but unfortunately Drew's Christian and Sunni villages in the south. And my fear is pushing some of the Lebanese, you know, back into the hands of Hespelah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it sounds like Israel has not agreed to pull its troops out of Lebanon. My understandings, they are occupying, you know, up to sort of six miles over the border.
Speaker 2: I'm just wondering how.
Speaker 4: An ongoing occupation is not likely to lead to renewed, if not increase conflict.
Speaker 7: Was that called a softball question?
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, it's like, yeah, and we've seen you know, Bbe's got his own political problems, he's under indictment. He has to maintain this fart right agenda. And my fear is not only Lepidin, but what also is taking place. And one of the reasons why I voted against even giving any more bulldozers to Israel. The other tragedy that's taking place is what's happening on the West Bank. As the Israeli settlers, Frank, they doo awful things on just some of the Palestinian villages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just big picture.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm struggling with how to talk about this as a Democrat, because I think the best option available to Donald Trump was ending the war as soon as humanly possible for a variety of reasons, but especially because I was worried that this was going to lead to a famine in places like Sudan and mass starvation and death because fertilizer and fuel just wasn't getting through the strait. At the same time, I don't think we should give Donald Trump a pass for launching this catastrophic, unnecessary war, because all the outcomes he might get through this negotiation process he could have gotten just by talking to them in the first place and not bombing them. So how are you thinking about how to talk about.
Speaker 5: This, Tommy? It is such a That is a very fair question. I don't want to Trump gets no credit for this war of choice and where we are, and that doesn't even count the one hundred billion dollars of assets we've lost.
Speaker 7: In the region.
Speaker 5: It doesn't cost the sixty billion dollars of increased gas prices, It doesn't cost the effect of in Sudan and elsewhere. But I'm not going to you know, but the question is, I'm not going to just blast him for ending it, because ending it was you know, this, this agreement will not stand the test of any scrutiny. You know, I'm not going to give him credit. But I'm glad he ended it rather than continued where what could have led to even a worse circumstance. So I actually think on this one, the there is no way even a Trumpian figure can turn this in anything other than what it is is that we America and our friends are in worse place than we were at the end of February.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agreed with you there, switching gears a little bit.
Speaker 4: So Trump tried to install a man named Bill Poulty as the Director of National Intelligence. I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you think he made that selection, whether Poulty even would have met the statutory requirements for the job. I should say he yanked Poultie nomination after Democrats in the Senates at hell, No, no way. And did that selection make you even more worried about how Trump might have used the intelligence community?
Speaker 7: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Bill Poulty is a third generation rich kid who literally got thrown out of his own family's company, right, and then you know, taking what would be a relatively benign oversight of the mortgage Fannie and Freddie was able to take private information about Lisa Cook at the Federal Reserve. Adam Shift won my colleagues and weaponize that. I do think figures in the White House tried to prevent Trump from doing this, but is always the case, Pulty or whoever speaks to the president. Last he got him, he got him put in, and I am you know, and this came in a moment in time when we have to reauthorize something called Section seven oh two, which is a critical intelligence tool that the Biden's, Obama's everybody supported, and we've used our leverage to say, you know, we're not going to reauthorize seven o two if Poulty is there now. My concern, frankly, is seven o two has got enough bills and whistles and audits that if he misuses that it will be I think we'll find it. I'm more concerned about the fact that this guy who doesn't even a national security clearance suddenly gets the keys to eighteen eight agencies maliciously or not gets exposed to things that could be a huge security risk. And our challenge right now and and this, you know, this goes down the rabbit hole. You know, Trump has finally appointed somebody else, someone who you know, I've worked with at times. I still need to ask him Jay Clayton, who was the former SEC head and and the current US Attorney for the Southern District of Manhattan. You know, I want to make sure he's not going to interfere in our elections and you know, basic constitutional rights. But if we delay getting him in, Poulty could still serve and there's nothing we can do as an interim for a few days. And you know, I think the Democrats in the Senate will have to decide do we wave to get this through. He will get confirmed, I hope the sooner than later, so that we don't have Pulty in this office hopefully.
Speaker 4: Ever, Oh so that's why you're trying to fast track Jay Clayton's nomination to try to shrink the amount of time that that Poulty could be in that job.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, Yes, and again and it's and it's like and the irony and here's the thing, you know, I had huge problems with Tulsa Gabbart. Yeah, current, she was going to stay until the end of the month. Paulty tried to fire her, and they advanced her leaving date till this coming Friday. If she would just I never thay, I want to say Gabbart say, but if she would stay until the beginning.
Speaker 7: Of July, we could get it done in two weeks.
Speaker 5: Right, Whether we get it done in one weeks will be frankly up to my Democratic colleagues, who, you know, they can vote against Clayton, they can, you know, vote against seven oh two. But please let's separate keeping Paulty out of the job and the the you know, the renewal of Section seven oh two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with you on prioritizing keeping Pulty away from all of that information. I do want to ask you about fives of Section seven oh two of though, because for those who aren't familiar, this is the provision that lets the intelligence community get information from American telecom companies to turn over the electronic communication of foreign persons located outside of the United States.
Speaker 2: Without a warrant.
Speaker 4: And civil liberties advocates have long been concerned about seven oh two because of the potential for abuse, and also because communications to and from American citizens and those foreign persons are often captured in the process without a warrant and could be reviewed and you know, by people investigating them the information. So in the past I have mostly felt like on balance that Section O two was defensible for a variety of reasons. It is the thing that national security professionals will tell you is the most important tool in their toolkit. But I'll tell you after the Polti selection, I no longer have confidence that Trump won't use all of these tools to abuse his authorities. So why am I wrong? Like, why am I wrong that Democrats should fight this?
Speaker 5: Well, First of all section seven oh two, which has had prior abuses, We've gone through three rounds of reforms. The FBI used to be very callous about how it used it. They went from only sixty percent compliance to ninety eight percent compliance on making sure that appropriate checks balances are dealt with number one.
Speaker 7: Number two.
Speaker 5: My concern with Pulti is so great not about seven oh two, because there are enough reporting that he will at least be discovered. Now that may not assuage you, but there will be an audit trail whereas he could try to get other information that doesn't have near the same audit trail. And then I do think there is a one of the things that took me a long time to wrap my head around this. So you've got two Russian spies, one of Moscow, one in Paris. They're talking about these they keep mentioning this guy Tommy, and we don't know from listening whether Tommy is collaborating with the Russians or someone the Russians are going after to see if they can hack into Tommy actually be a victim. And the idea what this is the part that I don't think people fully understand. If we want to look at who else Tommy has called, because we've got Tommy's name, we've got his number, we can only look at, you know, the numbers, but not the content. If you want to look at the you know, and say, on an email like Tommy sends something to Mark, if you want to look at the content, you have to get a warrant. But the idea that you could get a warrant because there is the circumstance that this could be an active, live terrorist event and you don't know whether Tommy's about to go to a bomb.
Speaker 7: The idea that you could get a.
Speaker 5: Warrant when you only know the name, when twenty percent of the time, fifteen to twenty percent of the times, Tommy is the victim, not the bad guy.
Speaker 7: It is it is.
Speaker 5: At the end of the day, I've come down. This is such an important security tool. Prethent Obamas supported President Biden Trump. It is seventy percent of what we was in the Presidential Daily Brief. But I understand that people have feel the other way, and we have added, you know, additional requirements that if it's a politician, if it's a religious figure, if it's a media person, you have more hoops. If it's someblady where information might be about their constitutional rights because you're out protesting ice, you can't you can't use it there. It will never be from friends like Ron Wyden, who is a hardcore civil libertarian, We're never gonna I will never satisfy him. I do think there will be at the end of the day, you know, somewhere around fifteen twenty Democrats that will still say absent the problem, because here's my problem.
Speaker 7: This goes away.
Speaker 5: God forbids something happens and Donald Trump then says, we wouldn't have had this incident if we had this tool and the irony. Just one last point on this is, I don't think Donald Trump actually even supports the vision that much, because it took into like six weeks, seven weeks before the bill expired, that he even came out and formally said he supports it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, wouldn't the actual like kind of existing authorities not expire for almost another year if there wasn't a reauthorization.
Speaker 5: That is again the where the rubber hits the road in twenty There is the ability that this authority is certified once a year and it would be maintained until March.
Speaker 7: When this came up under Biden. What we heard.
Speaker 5: From the telcos and this is mostly Telcos and the Googles and the hyperscalars, they said to Biden's security team, if this expires, we are no longer going to participate because we don't have indemnification. This expired on Friday night. So we're now into an area where you know who is right. Will they continue to participate or not? One of the telcoats today told me, thank goodness, that they will participate. The others we don't have an answer. And what is insane to me is I'm the freaking a vice chair, which former chair of the Intelligent I should know whether they are participating or not?
Speaker 2: Right? Right, And.
Speaker 5: In a normal world, the Justice Department, if we still had real lawyers, would have tried to get an injunction to try to force them to continue to participate until it was litigated out. So we don't end up with this gap. My understanding, they've not even filed suit yet, so we will. There will be this gap, hopefully not too long, but we will find out whether the concern I had that they won't participate without indemnification is true or not.
Speaker 4: Okay, just as long as I'm treating you like my deep state therapist. I mean, is it wrong to focus on the D and I when cash Betel is just as unqualified and has more authorities to conduct do things that are abusive against Americans via the FBI.
Speaker 5: Well, I have gone through a long litany of cash Battel abuses and mistakes, and he should not be there. The D and I does get keys to all eighteen agencies. Frankly, the D and I to go nerdy again. That whole role needs to be slimmed down, probably re examined. It came out after nine to eleven, well intentioned, but grew too much. But no cash battel scares the hell out of me. And what also scares the hell out of me is we have seen intelligence professionals in other agencies, the NSA, which is our our spying organization, in terms of listening in you. They fired the guy who Tim Hawk, who was there was a career professional because Laura Lumer went after him. Or the head of the Defense Intelligence Agency told the truth about the first bombing of Iran a year ago, where he said, yeah, we whacked him pretty good, but we didn't obliterate the nuclear program. Obviously the truth or we wouldn't be back in on this. So you've got plenty of I got plenty of reasons to keep you up at night. In terms of concerns.
Speaker 4: You ever seen cash ptil chug a beer guy doesn't spill a drop.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you, man, just on video, although I will I won't even I'm hesitant to say this, but there's some comorful videos online about mister Poulty as well.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I've.
Speaker 4: Seen one of those. The gentleman before him seems to be having a good time. Senator, thank you so much for doing the show. Maybe when we learn what's actually in this deal, we could talk again.
Speaker 2: That'd be nice. Love to thanks, I appreciate.
Speaker 7: It, Gotts sweet take care.
Speaker 2: That's our show for today. Thanks to Senator Warner for coming on. We'll be back in the feed on Friday with a special episode. The three of us and Dan will be recording in Chicago at the opening of the Obama Presidential Center. Fun Nice talk to everybody soon. Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari, with re Jurlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt to Grote, Ben Hefcot, Jordan Kanter, Charlotte Landis, Kyrol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East