Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five seventy LA Sports Game one of the NLDS will be at Dodgers Stadium this Saturday night, five point thirty eight. First pitch. It will likely be the Dodgers against the San Diego Padres, who are leading the Atlanta Braves right now five to two. San Diego can wrap it up tonight with a win, but as quickly as things can turn in a baseball game, a big blow for the San Diego Padres in the fourth inning when Joe musk Rove threw a pitch and then left the game with a trainer. It looked like he heard his elbow or his shoulder. That's not good news for Elkohane, Joe and the San Diego Padres. So that's where things stand in San Diego right now. A lot of momentum in the Padres way. But after Joe Musgrove had to leave this game in the fourth inning, Mike Shilt had to go to his bowlpen prematurely, and the Padres now maybe down for the rest of the postseason, and at least the NLDS without one of their big time starters in Joe Musgrove. If we get any news on the extent of that injury between now at eight o'clock, we will let you know. Also coming up on the show at seven point thirty, Adrian Gonzalez will join us, a man that played seven hundred and thirty five games with the Dodgers, seven hundred and ninety nine games with the Padres. But of course lt Ton is LA's adopted son now, so we'll hear from Adrian Gonzalez on what the challenges will be for Freddie Freeman to play first base on a bad right ankle, which he sprained the night the Dodgers clinched the nl West against those Sandy Diego Padres. And really, that's the story tonight, that's the story tomorrow, it's the story for the rest of the week, and it will be one of the big subplots for the entire NLDS and possibly moving forward. As one player told me in Denver, they believe firmly Freddie Freeman will play in Game one. They told me that Freddy's right ankle would have to be sawed off for Freddie Freeman not to play in the NLDS, but to what extent. Yeah, he'll be out there, and I'm sure he'll be able to hit to his front foot when he hits, But how is he going to run the bases? More importantly, how is he going to move laterally around the first base bag? And you know, the right foot as a right handed thrower is the foot that goes on the first base bag, So how is he going to navigate? Having to play the field thing is one thing. Playing the field and running the bases is something else. And earlier today Dave Roberts held a media zoom and I asked him what the condition of Freddie Freeman is.
Speaker 3: Indications are that it's a little bit better than it was a couple of days ago, but it's just hard to see a world where it's not limiting as far as on the basis.
Speaker 4: The lateral.
Speaker 3: So right now, I'm just going to remain optimistic and then you know, when we get to Friday and then obviously Saturday, then we'll kind of make decisions on you know, how he's used as far as in the game, but I still have all confidence that he's gonna be in the starting lineup.
Speaker 5: And Dave, I know it's early in the week, but have you noticed a different sense mentality amongst the players in preparation for this year's playoffs then you saw a year ago or two years ago.
Speaker 3: I do, I see. I see some more hunger, I see some more edge. I like that. And not to say that guys weren't prepared or trying or cared, but there's a different level of intensity and that kind of sour taste that you have when you make an early exit from the postseason. Our guys are tired of it, and so this is another opportunity. So yeah, Dave, I do sense that edge, which I love.
Speaker 2: All Right, that's good news from Dave Roberts as far as the focus, the hunger, the edge, as he said, the Dodger players have. They've been at Dodger Stadium the last two days watching these Padres and brace play each other. They've been out there working out in the gym, batting cages, et cetera. All that. And I mentioned this to Petros and Money earlier in the week, and it bears repeating the reason why I asked Dave Roberts that question about the prep option and the focus of the team is because, let's face it, the reality is, no matter how good the Dodgers individually were the last two regular seasons and how good they were record wise the last two years, winning one hundred games, they were swept out of the postseason last year and the Padres took him out in four games two years ago, those San Diego Padres. There's got to be a point where there's some self pride to redeem yourself from those last two years. And I know since the beginning of spring training Mookie Bets and Freddy Freeman have been talking about the fact they want redemption this October. Obviously, it's going to be a little bit more challenging for Freddie Freeman because of the right ankle, but Mooki Bets wants it badly. And as you know, before the final game against the Padres, Mooki Bets was a combined for eight, which prompted him to stand the batting cage for over an hour to take over four hundred swings. This guy wants it bad. This guy is locked in. Mookie Betts wants to silence you. He wants to silence me. He wants to silence anybody that criticized his postseason play the last two years, and honestly, it wasn't, you know, criticism that wasn't unwarranted. He didn't play well the last two years, and you felt like his investment wasn't one hundred percent in Also, when the Dodgers played the Padres two years ago, remember they handled the Padres. It was before the Padres really stood tall against them in the postseason that year and went on to the NLCS and done what they have done since then. It was the Dodgers in twenty twenty two that man handled the Padres in the regular season, and when they went down to San Diego, even after splitting the first two games in Los Angeles, they treated it like they would in a regular season setting, meaning the players drove their own cars with their own families and got to the team hotel at their own leisure league time. There was no team dinner. The first time, from what I understand talking to players on that team that they were all together in the same room was when they arrived at Peco Park for Game three of the NLDS. That's not the way playoffs happened for teams. You have a team dinner, you're around each other a lot. When you're traveling to a different city on an airplane, you're talking the game, you're really bonding with your teammates, and then going out for a player's only dinner. That did not take place in twenty twenty two. And I did mention this to Justin Turner and he agreed, Yeah, maybe we should have arranged for a players only bust down to San Diego. Well, I found out the Dodgers are going to do that if they play the Padres, which they probably aren's five to two right now. The Padres are too much for the Braves. I don't see them not closing it out tonight. So the Dodgers, as they get ready for the Padres for all intentsive purposes, I know the first two games are in LA but whether they're down oh two or up too oh, they're going down to San Diego together players only. Their families are going to take different means of transportation, which I love. And that's what Dave Roberts said to me on that Zoom. They're sacrificing time away from their families to get ready and focused for a playoff run. That's what you have to have, and the Dodgers, quite frankly, haven't had that the last two years, being in Arizona and San Diego. That was missing, and it feels like that has changed this postseason preparation. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We are taking your phone calls until eight o'clock tonight. Adrian Gonzalez is going to join us at seven point thirty tonight. But between now and then, it's you and me, And I feel like you need an attitude adjustment. Everybody is so worried about the Padres, the Phillies. How about doing what Daniel Hudson did? And I feel like I have to put my two fingers over my lips right now as I say this, As Daniel Hudson reminded his team in New York earlier in the year, don't forget they are the Dodgers with the best player on the planet on their team, swinging a red hot bat with Mookie Bets, with Freddie Freeman, with an October Keik Hernandez, and don't look now, Will Smith is starting to look like Will Smith, So don't you I think the Padres are concerned about all that along with losing Joe Musgrove tonight. Instead of being so concerned about what the Padres have, how about reminding yourselves what the Dodgers have. There's a lot of teams out there that don't want to see OTAWI, don't want to see the Dodgers, and the Padres are going to get them in LA That is huge. It's a wild atmosphere, frenzied atmosphere at Peco Park. But the Padres are not going to have that the first two games of the series. They are coming into the lines den of the team with the best record. Are you starting to recognize that when all your friends start to tell you about the Dodgers and make those jokes about them bowing out of the postseason, maybe you should remind them who had the most wins, who has the best player on the planet, Who has Jack Flaherty and Yoshi Yamamoto going in Games one and two of the postseason, not to mention a pretty good bullpen these days, I think you all have to remind yourselves how good the Dodgers are instead of giving way too much respect to these other teams. And I hope the Dodger players are doing the same. It's one thing to respect your opponent, but if you give them too much credit, too much respect, you're going to get beat. Frankly eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we'll hear from Max Muncy as he prepares to play third base or maybe first base if Freddie Freeman can't go. And also we'll get into the Dodgers' pitching staff and Adrian Gonzalez is joining us at seven point thirty tonight. Can't wait to talk to L. Titan right here on Dodger Talk on a five to seventy LA Sports David Vasse with you on this playoff edition of Dodger Talk. Adrian Gonzalez is going to join us at seven point thirty tonight. Can't wait to talk to LT. Todd get his thoughts on the challenges that Freddie Freeman may or may not have playing first base with a very sprained right ankle. Game one of the NLDS between the Dodgers, and it looks like the Padres who are leading five to two in the sixth inning Game one of the NLDS at Dodgers Stadium will be at five thirty eight. Game two on Sunday at Dodgers Stadium, first pitch at five oh eight. The Padres lost Joe Muskgrove in this game. It looked like he left with an arm injury in the top of the fourth inning. So that would even the pitching scales between these two teams. And you never want to see an injury, but certainly that is a big blow to the Padres. It doesn't look like that was an injury that was only going to take a day or two to come back from. Joe Muskgrove looked like he was done, not only for the Wildcard Series but maybe even the NLDS. Will wait to get more information before we speculate even more, but it did not look good. His body language did not look good, and the Padres may be without Joe Muskgrove. It looks like Dylan Cees is going to start Game one for the Padres. He will be going up against Jack Flaherty. The Dodgers made that official today. Yoshi Yamamoto will start Game two for the Dodgers, and he likely will go up against you Darvish. That should be fun and in game three, Walker Bueler more than likely will be the starter. The fourth starter for the Dodgers is Landon Nac, but as evident by what we saw in Denver, Landon Nack came in after a opener, and I feel like that's the way the Dodgers may go in any game that Landon Nac pitches in the NLDS or the NLCS with an opener. So that's the way the pitching looks for the Dodgers going into the NLDS. I would say their bullpen looks pretty good, especial especially with this new young right hander that they called up, and he's a really I'm not going to say he's as good as Frankie Rodriguez, because in two thousand and two, the Angels called up Frankie Rodriguez from the minor leagues. Nobody had seen Frankie Rodriguez until September, the last couple of weeks, and nobody could touch his fastball or his slider combination. So I kind of feel with Edgardo en Riquez being called up and showing what he has shown, he may take a lot of teams by surprise because they haven't seen him. It's one thing to look at video, but to step in that batter's box and face one hundred miles an hour and also an eighty eight slider, that's a lot different. So I like the way Blake Trenton's pitching. I like the way Michael Kopek is pitching. Those three are the ones that I feel are the highest leverage pitchers for the right now. And I feel like Ryan Brazier and Alex Vesi are going to do well against lefties. Anthony Bonda should serve a purpose as well. I feel like Joe Kelly and Daniel Hudson will be in the mix at certain times. And not to mention Evan Phillips, who has had an up and down year, especially coming back after missing a month with a right hamstring injury. He just hasn't been the same consistently since then. So hopefully Evan can get things on track and these five days will help him do so. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Max Munsey had a chance to catch up with him on Sunday. Obviously, I haven't put eyes on Freddie Freeman this week. We haven't seen Freddy since the celebration on the field at Dodgers Stadium, clinching the NL West for a second straight year, And I asked Max Munsey whether or not he is going to move back to first base if for some reason Freddie Freeman cannot play, or if Freddie Freeman tries to play and just can't do it, or is it going to be what we have seen this season Keith a Hernandez at first base and Max Munsey over at third base, where he has played the last two years. Here's what Max Munsey told me about possible decisions being made on him moving from third to first.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, obviously, what hoping Freddy's gonna be fine, And if anyone knows Freddy, he's going to play through a lot of pain if he has to. We're hoping that there's that's not the case, that he doesn't have to play through a ton of pain. But yeah, we've had a couple of small discussions about it, and you know, the team knows that I'll play anywhere they need me to play. You know, if I have to go back to first base, that's kind of second nature to me. You know, we'll get we'll get some work in there this week and then you know it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dave said that you may work out at first base. Is that still the plan, just to be ready in case.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we haven't finalized anything, but yeah, I mean I would imagine I'll I'll get some work over there, just to you know, just to make sure that I'm fresh over there and remember how to do things, remember how to catch a ball.
Speaker 2: People think first base is like the easiest position, but there's a lot more that goes to it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there is. So there's a lot of footwork that's involved with it. There's just a lot of understanding certain things.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Sometimes one of the things you see when guys from other positions go over to first base for the first time is they go after a lot of balls that they don't need to go after. And so that's just understanding, you know, just kind of understanding your positioning and that your job at first base isn't necessarily.
Speaker 2: To feel the ball.
Speaker 6: It's more so to catch the ball.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Max Munsey Sunday in Denver about what the Dodgers are thinking regarding first base. If Freddie Freeman cannot go and gain one of the nlds or even if he tries to go and it just doesn't work, that's my concern. I have no no doubts Freddie Freeman is going to be in the starting lineup. I have no doubt Freddie Freeman will be able to hit. My only concern is how much of a liability will he be defensively at first base, How much lateral movement will he be able to cover around the bag? How many balls are going to get through on the right side of the infield because he's playing on a severely sprained right ankle. Nobody knows that until we see him work out on Friday. As Dave Roberts said, now, my understanding talking to Brandon Gomes the Dodgers GM today is that Freddy is taking swings in the cage, but he hasn't attempted to play first base. That is the biggest question. It's not whether or not Freddy can hit. Freddy can roll out of bed with two bad ankles and get at least two hits or three hits in a game. I'm not concerned about that. I'm concerned about the base running. Obviously, he is one of the best and smartest base runners the Dodgers have. But how much. Is that right ankle going to prevent him from going first to third? Is he a stationed station runner? And can he even tag up from second to third? Can he tag up from third base? Those are all questions that go into playing a baseball game. It's not just getting into the cage and taking swings. And we won't know the answer to that, not even on Friday. If he does take ground balls there, we'll know when the game starts because game action is completely different. All right, We're gonna take a time out. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we will hear from a man that knows how to play a pretty good first base, the one and only lt Ton Adrian Gonzalez will join us next right here on Dodger Talk on a five to seventy LA Sports with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. I'll be co hosting with Matt Muney Smith on Friday from Dodger Stadium three to seven pm. So essentially that will be Dodger Talk from what I believe will be a Dodger workout as they prepare for Game one of the NLDS, which will be this Saturday, from Dodger Stadium at five thirty eight. It's looking like the Padres because they are leading the Atlanta Braves now five to two in the top of the sixth inning, although Matt Olsen is at the plate with runners at the corners against Tanner Scott, who the Dodgers made look human last week at Dodgers Stadium. Also, the Milwaukee Brewers came from behind to beat those miracle Mets with a go ahead, three run home run in the bottom of the eighth inning from Garrett Mitchell. So tomorrow a winner take all Wildcard Series game in Milwaukee, Dodg Mets versus Brewers and a guy that knows all about hitting home runs in Milwaukee and all across Major League base Ball. Fifteen years in the big leagues, one of the best first basemen of his generation. He played seven hundred and thirty five regular season games for the Dodgers five postseason series. He was really the symbol of this Dodger ownership turning things around for this franchise when they traded for Nick Punto, Carl Crawford, Josh Peggett, and our guests, the one and only Adrian Gonzalez Gonzo thanks a lot for calling in appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Hey Dave, thank you for having me, Thank you for wanting to speak to me. I know, you know, we ga it each other back and forth, but on this day today, we are not jabbing at each other. We are making deals.
Speaker 2: That's right. Gonzo started a fantasy league while he was still playing for the Dodgers, and the league is still going. It's brought in some different people, and right now Gonzo and David Vasse's teams are both one in three. So we had to shake things up here, Gonzo.
Speaker 1: We did, we did. We had to shake things up and you know, make make sure our teams are, you know, getting stronger.
Speaker 2: So it's I love making trades with you because you're reasonable. I sent an offer over and you accepted it. It's Brian Robinson and Garrett Wilson going to lt Ton's team, Marvin Harrison Junior and Bucky Irving coming over to All Valley Vassa. I feel like, see, this is the trade more teams need to make a Major League Baseball. It's a win for you, it's a win for me. I'm not trying to steal from you, Gonzo.
Speaker 1: You know what it really it really kind of reminds me of the trade that looking back now, the Dodgers made with the Tigers. Right, they get the Dodgers got Jack Clarity, the Tiger's got a few you know, players, and now the Tigers are in the postseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How do you think the Tigers feel about that? Because the player the Dodgers gave Trey Sweeney, he's been playing shortstop ever since Javier Bias went out, and he served a very useful purpose for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One, I think you know, the team wasn't expecting to make the turnaround that they did, and you know, they brought in some youth they you know, kind of went into this like let's just have fun mentality, and before you know it, they started winning games and you know, here they are, you know, in winning a postseason series.
Speaker 2: Adrian, you're the perfect guy to talk to about this. All around, La, it feels like fans and even you know, the so called experts are giving the Padres way too much respect. When you came to the Dodgers, it felt like there was an attitude change and not arrogant, but a confidence level that when your Dodger teams took the field, you owned that field. How much do these Dodgers have to feel that when they take the field on Saturday night against probably these Padres.
Speaker 1: You know, they have to be confidentd I mean, obviously the team, you know, best best record in the National League. You have to you know, step onto the field feeling like you're the best team out there. I will say the Padgers have a great team, especially a team that is made for the postseason. Having said that, you know, the Dodgers have the stars they have with Tani, they have Mookie, they have Freddy, they have you know, Yama Moto. They have these pieces that they should step onto the field feeling extremely confident, like, hey, we got to go out there play our game. We're gonna win because we trust what we have, we trust what we're doing, and we're the most talented team out here. So you know, they just got to believe that. They got to know that. And on top of it, you know, you got to execute. You have to go out there and execute, and you cannot be predictable, which is one thing in the past that Dodgers have been in the postseason is predictable. They we know what we know what you know, pitchers are gonna what kind of pitches they're gonna throw in these situation, we know what, so they need to be a little bit unpredictable when it comes to being able to adjust and do things that the other team is not expecting.
Speaker 2: I love that you said that, Adriam, because even Dave Roberts said that during the regular season, playing the Padres, playing the Diamondbacks so much the last three years, they know how the Dodger pitchers are attacking them in game planning. What's the balance of changing things up but still pitching to your strengths.
Speaker 1: You know, I the greatest pitchers that you that you see in the postseason, And now I'm gonna go by, you know, my own personal examples, right John Lester. You know you talk about, you know, guys that have had a ton of success, and I'm going to go to John Lester specifically, Right John Lester. During the regular season, every single at bat I faced him, he was a forcing cutter guy, forcing Cutter's kerball, right, That's all I saw, every single pitch. And then when we played him in the postseason against the Cubs, guess what I get up to the plate and first pitch I see as a sinker. Second pitch I see is a changeup. So everything I had seen that season is now out the door, and that the pitcher had the confidence. John Lesser had the confidence to go up there and say, like, listen, I know that you think I'm gonna throw these pitchurees, but I'm gonna picture completely different because you're not ready for that. And that's what makes a picture very, very unpredictable and very successful in the postseason. Right Madison Bugarner same thing. He was super super successful because he was able to change things up. And if a picture is very predictable in the postseason, the hitters are going to be able to adjust because the hitters have time to study that picture in depth. In the regular season, if I'm a hitter, I'm gonna study the first ten to fifteen pitches of a posing picture and then I'm gonna move on to the next and then you know it's the next day and the next day and the next day. In the postseason, you spend hours on every picture and you try to dissect every single situation so you know what they're gonna throw. And that is what I'm talking about when it comes to predictability.
Speaker 2: Adrian Gonzalez is our Guest, one of the best first basemen of his generation now does it for sports at La is the man for Collie Dodd for Jersey, Mike's for so many things, Gonzo, And speaking of the pitchers perspective, I wanted to ask you about the hitters perspective. There's been a lot of criticism of Dodger hitters the last three or four postseasons that they can't make adjustments in game because of what you're describing, other teams are doing pitching them backwards. How do you adjusting game? How do you recognize that because I remember so many times it was you, it was Justin Turner that was taking back scatting reports to the dugout. Is that what it's going to come down to.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, yeah, you have to do all your due diligence, right, you have to spend time in the video room. You have to see what they've done in the past, right, you have to use that as your first step. And then the second thing you have to do is, hey, that first time through the lineup, what are they doing differently? If we're not having success in that first time through the lineup, what are they doing differently? Because if they're doing what we expected them to do. Then we need to step up our game. We need to be better. We need to put our foot down on time. We need to make sure we're not over swinging. We need to make sure that we're getting barrel to the ball and we're not trying to hit home runs because in the postseason you hit home runs because of adrenaline. You don't hit home runs because you're trying to hit home runs. If you're trying to hit home runs, you're over swinging and you're swinging under fastballs and you're swinging over all speed pitches. So you know, if they're doing something different, you make that adjustment second time to the lineup. But the team has to communicate, they have to be able to have those conversations, and they have to be ready to change. And the key, like I said, is don't try to hit home runs in the postseason. Let your adrenaline create the bad speed and just focus on getting the bats of the ball.
Speaker 2: Do you believe Otani will be able to do that? Gone?
Speaker 1: So you know what he's shown that he has that he can do that. He's had success in the WBC in the past, he's had to success, and you know the times that we've seen him that you know, we think that he might the pressure might get to him, and he's always stepped up to the to the to the plate in those situations. So I really do think that he is a guy that will be able to do that. You know, we don't know everybody. Everybody's different, everybody can react different to a new situation. Obviously, this is his first postseason game coming on Saturday, but I do believe that he will be able to have the success that we expect him to have.
Speaker 2: Not only was Adrian Gonzalez a great hitter, but he was one of the best defensive first basemen, a multi goal Glove Award winner, and one of the best at defending the bunt and the wheel play came into question the last home stand of the season, and I just remember how great you were crashing on those type of plays. So what are the challenges Freddie Freeman is going to have on a bum right ankle. Are you concerned about the ground he'll be able to cover around first base, about handling bunts, doing all those things that you need to do to be a good first baseman.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna make a joke out of this, but it's also my answer. So ready, Freeman and a bad ankle is moving faster than I was on a I'm two good legs. So I believe he'll be just fine. You know, playing first bases about having instincts and anticipating things. It's not about how fast you are. So I really think he will be just fine, you know, being able to cover bonds or cover you know, his positions I think he needs to do. He might not be stealing bases. He might not be. You know, he might be. What I did is turning triples into doubles. Right, he hits the ball in the gap, He's not gonna get a triple out of it, He's gonna get a double out of it. That's perfectly fine. But we need his bat in the lineup it we need we need his glove at first base.
Speaker 2: And that's his front foot when he hits gon. So that's not an issue, right, It.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't be much of an issue now. I mean, you know, it's gonna be heavily taped. I'm sure if their soreness still lingering, you know, comes Saturday, it's gonna be. It's gonna be fine. He you know, maybe maybe a little bit of a mechanical adjustment there, but he'll be just fine. He's he's got he's got some of the best hands in the game when it comes to swinging the bat, so I'm sure his legs won't won't get in the way of his amazing swring.
Speaker 2: Adrian and z all Well has said so many great moments in a Dodger uniform, so many fun times. He knew how to be inclusive with everybody in that clubhouse. He knew when it was time to be serious, he knew when it was the time to lighten the mood. When you look back at those Dodger teams that you played on gone, so is there one that you're more fond of than the other. I'm not going to ask you which was the best, but which one were you the most fond of? If you can put it into context.
Speaker 1: You know, I think, in my opinion, the twenty thirteen team the first team that you know, the first year, you know, when it started, this twelfth season run, right, I believe that was the team that you know, we had the team, we had the everything going for us to win it all. Obviously, you know, Henley Ramirez being hit in the ribs and his ribs being broken and for pretty much taking him completely out of that series really hurt us. And you know, he was our best hitter at the time. He was he was you know, he had an incredible series again Atlanta, and and you know, he was our number three hitter. And I think, you know, the fact that he was a guy that you know, was taking out of that series really affected us. So that's that's the that's the tea that I look back and I'm like, man, if if he was healthy that series, I think I think we had a really really good shot at winning that whole thing.
Speaker 2: I still give Joe Kelly crap about that gone, So I don't let him forget that. I haven't forgotten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, for sure. I uh, I'm uh, you know, maybe maybe maybe you can get him to admit on there that that it was semi semi on purpose just to uh to just to get under him a little bit. But Joe Kelly is a great guy. He's unbelievable, and uh, you know it was it was you know, they like they pitched inside with with no repercussions, you know, that team, they they if a guy was was ready to lean out there. They made sure to throw one up and in on purpose and as they hit you as well.
Speaker 2: When you made your first debut as a Dodger you hit a home run.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Is that still one of the more special moments of your career?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Having Vin Scully be able to call that was was very special, you know. And then obviously my first at bad and the way that I got a standing ovation from the Dodger fans, I was I don't know what to expect, you know, coming from a padre being a pottery for all those years, so it was just very special to me.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget twenty thirteen the Mickey Mouse ears. Maybe the Dodgers can come up with something like that.
Speaker 1: You know, they said I was a Mickey Mouse stuff. So you know what, let's I'll show you what Mickey mouse stuff really is, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Hey, we follow you on Instagram, We follow you on x You got this five am workout club, Gonzo. You got girls to raise, so you're getting You're getting your work out early before the sun comes up. What's up with this five am crew that you always post about?
Speaker 1: You need to come. You need to come to work out with us every Tuesday and Thursday, five thirty in the morning. You know, group of most mostly parents of the school, but you know, we got we got some some others that have been added onto the group. It's a it's a group of about twenty five. We get between six and twelve every every day. And yeah, we get we get it. We get the workout done before, you know, before the kids are up, before it before the day starts. And you know, the way we like to say it is, you know, we start the day with a w The rest of the day is just for us to enjoy it because we've already won the day.
Speaker 2: Love it. See Gonzo is leading the school parents now see just like you did when you played, you know how to galvanize and include everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you have to write. I mean you have to create a community, and you have to you know, have a goal in mind and you have to go after it.
Speaker 2: Love it, Gonzo. It's great to hear your voice. You meant so much to the Dodgers in this city ever since you put on that uniform and certainly one of the great Dodgers of the last thirteen years. And uh, Dodger fans still love you and we can't wait to see you again on sports in at LA and maybe Adrian Gonzalez is throwing out a first pitch in the NLDS.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that would be great. Now it's you know, it's gonna be a great series, regardless of what team it is. And you know, I can't wait for the Dodgers to, you know, be able to win that series, you know, after a couple of tough seasons.
Speaker 2: All right, Adrian, thanks a lot for coming on, and thanks a lot for making that trade. It's a done deal.
Speaker 1: It's a done deal, Dave. It's a done deal. Our teams are going up from here on out.
Speaker 2: Here we go two and three from here, Gonzo.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to you soon. Okay, thanks a lot for coming on.
Speaker 1: All right, I appreciate it. I appreciate you, Dave. We'll talk so.
Speaker 2: Okay, miss you see Gonzo. There he goes. Adrian Gonzalez a great guy, a great first baseman, one of the sweet swings in Major League Baseball, and it was always fun being around him. He was great on the field, he was great off the field. Was really an inclusive guy. And when you talk about Justin Turner, in the nine in great years he had with the Dodgers. Who do you think passed him that torch and taught him how to be that guy? It was Adrian Gonzalez. Love hearing from Adrian. I know he played for the Padres, but honestly, that seems like a lifetime ago. He's a Dodger. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Padres are still leading the Braves. It's five to two in the top of the seventh inning, so it's looking like a Dodgers Padres NLDS and the Padres have released a statement on the injury to Joe Muskgrove, who left their game tonight in the fourth inning with right elbow tightness. Not good. I don't think you're going to see Joe Musgrove in the NLDS. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Reciita. John. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: How you doing, John, Hey, David, I'm fine. Thank you for taking my call. I just had a couple of things that I know. This one is really far fetched because he didn't get a chance to work out at first base during the season, but maybe in the future shoe Hey Otani at first and let Freddie Freeman d H. So, I know it's kind of out of the realm, but I mean, Joey A. Tani is the man. He can probably do anything. So I mean maybe for a future, you know, have him play first base and Freddie Kadh if that, if that comes to pass, but maybe not. It won't happen this year, I know, but I just thought it would throw it out there and then just give me an update on Clayton Kershaw and Tony Gonslin.
Speaker 2: Okay, John, before you hang up, think about this what you're asking shoe Hey Otani to do. He's been rehabbing to come back to pitch next year. Some including yourself, i'm sure, are hoping that Otani can pitch at least one or two innings in the World Series if the Dodgers get there. And now you're asking him to play first base and learn a new position. I mean, don't you feel like that's a lot to ask.
Speaker 7: No, I don't, because I could do anything. He can do anything, and you know what, it would be really great if he could pitch a couple of innings in the World Series, but I'm not counting on it. But I mean, just you know, for I mean just it's a little too late.
Speaker 2: It's a little too late in the season to all of a sudden have Otani play first base. It's just too late, John, that's not realistic.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I understand that, but hey, he could teach his dog to retrieve a ball and bring it sixty feet to him. He can do anything.
Speaker 2: That's true. It took three weeks, So you're impressed by Decoy being trained in three weeks, and you feel like, so you're comparing Otani to his dog that we can train Otani to play first base. Now you're asking within three days, not three weeks.
Speaker 7: That's right, he could do it. He can do it.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't put anything past him, John, but I'm not going to say that's going to happen. Now, what other update did you demand from me?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I understand that. Just an update on Clayton Kershaw and Tony Goslin, But it was it was just a thought. I hear you make everybody laugh.
Speaker 2: Oh, Tony brought a first base glove to spring training and he was waving and around, but he never used it. So he has it in his locker.
Speaker 7: There you go, There you go, There you go.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the phone call. John Kershaw is not going to pitch in the NLDS unless he's had a miraculous recovery of his left big toe. But I wouldn't rule out Kershaw pitching in the NLCS or even the World Series. It's just not enough time for him to face hitters and be ready for vital playoff games in the first round. But I wouldn't put anything past Kershaw for being able to give the Dodgers something in the NLCS. Tony Gonsolin interesting name. I wouldn't be if he's on this NLDS roster. The Dodgers have made him or have brought him along with rehab games three or four times for Oklahoma City. Dave Roberts said he didn't feel like he needed to see Gonsolin in major league games before using him in a playoff situation. So yeah, I wouldn't rule out Tony Gonsolin as being on this NLDS roster. We'll find out more when we are allowed into Dodgers Stadium on Thursday to see whether or not Gonsolin is out there, whether or not he's throwing in a simulated game or if he's throwing at least two hitters. But the Dodgers are expected to have a simulated game at Dodgers Stadium tomorrow. It'll be interesting, to say, interesting to see what happens with Tony Gonsolin, but he definitely is on the table to pitch in this postseason. Let's go out to Palm Springs. Ray, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing?
Speaker 5: Ray?
Speaker 4: Hey Dave, how's it going? Manas you're not.
Speaker 2: Going it's going great.
Speaker 7: That's good, that's good.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just wanted to come on here because you know, we're realistically we are going to probably play the Padres, and you know, I just wanted your thoughts, like what do you think is like, you know, the key to win? You know, I Padres do Loki have a hand on us? But you know, like what do we have to do to you know, continue on to the NLCS.
Speaker 2: Well number one, Ray, did you see the Dodgers beat the Padres two out of three when it mattered the most last week? I mean, are we all forgetting about that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, you're you're honestly right, Yeah, you're right right.
Speaker 2: Remind your friends the Dodgers have the best player on the planet. They have Jack Flaherty, who's been one of the best starters since the Dodgers treated for him. Yamamoto is back, and UH is not going to shy away from the moment.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 2: Mookie Betts, last time I check, is a pretty good player too, Ray. So I feel like we all have to start giving the Dodgers a little bit more credit than what we are giving them.
Speaker 4: And then, all right, last question, let's just say, you know, we don't win, UH, we don't make it to the World Series. Do you consider this a bust year or you know, like just you know, a lot of people are probably gonna say that we don't make it to the World Series.
Speaker 2: I think it's a bust year every year the Dodgers don't win the World Series. And that's the attitude the Dodgers should always have. We're not the Reds, we're not the Padres. We're the Dodgers, and those should be the expectations, and those have been the expectations ever since they traded for our guest Adrian Gonzalez.
Speaker 4: That was good, David. I appreciate your talk, bro.
Speaker 2: All right, Ray, I appreciate you. Thanks a lot for calling in. Yeah, you know, I feel like everybody has to start giving the Dodgers a little bit more credit. They act like they're just crawling to the finish line. The Padres were really good, in fact, the hottest team in baseball since the All Star Break. And even with all that, they finished in second place to the Dodgers in the NL West and when they had their opportunity to actually win the division, they lost two out of three to the Dodgers last week and had to watch the Dodgers celebrate. So I know the Padres are really good. I don't believe it's going to be easy for the Dodgers. This is going to be a tough series, and Game one is so important. We saw how it went sideways on the Dodgers last year. We saw how a Trey Turner air changed the series against the Padres two years ago. Game one is vital for the Dodgers to win because you don't want to go down Oh two in San Diego, and quite honestly, you don't want to go down there with the split. So Game one is definitely going to be big for the Dodgers, especially if Joe Musgrove cannot pitch in the NLDS. All of a sudden, the Padres don't have such a great feeling anymore about the advantage they have in their starting rotation over the Dodgers. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks a lot for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can find all of our shows this season, all of our pregame interviews. Also, you can find the conversation we had with former Dodger and former Padre Adrian Gonzalez, who is now on Sports and at LA for the Dodgers. You can find all of that on the iHeartRadio app. Don't forget We will be back with you on Friday afternoon. I'll be filling in for Petros Matt Mndy Smith and I will be out at Dodger Stadium from three to seven o'clock. Also on Friday morning, Scam boots up again, Tim Kate, Steve Sacks Playoff Talk in the Morning starting at seven am this Friday, And don't forget Game one of the NLDS at Dodgers Stadium, first pitch at five thirty eight thanks to Ronnie Foscio back at our Burbank studios, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show. Like I said, the iHeartRadio app is where you want to go. We'll talk to you on Friday. Have a great rest of your night. Fox Sports Radio is next. See ya.