Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Az Rafiki once said, it is time. One of my favorite lines from Yon King.
Speaker 4: Good morning. It's five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Friday, April eleventh. I'm Amy King. Thanks for getting your day started with us today. We've got lots on the agenda for today and I'm excited because it's a diet coke Friday. What is a diet coke Friday, you might ask, Well, it's the day that I celebrate and I have die coke.
Speaker 4: I used to drink diet coke all the time.
Speaker 1: I was very bill hand the list, and then when I started doing wake up Call, I was like, you know what this this caffeine's gonna mess with my schedule and so I need to cut back. And so I just kind of stopped drinking diet coke during the week. So Friday it's like a treat for me, okay, So not I don't have to get up early on Saturday.
Speaker 3: So you don't like coke zero.
Speaker 4: No, I can't stand coke zero. I hate it.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, I don't like coke. I don't like coke zero. I don't like coke with splenda. I like regular old diet coke. And have you watched The Big Bear Eglitz yesterday? I know we haven't talked about him for a little while, but I tuned into the YouTube channel. Oh my god, they're getting ginormous Sonny and Gizmo. I'm still calling the little one rocky, Oh my gosh. And they're they're kind of weird looking now, you know. They go from cute fluffy and then they start sprouting things. And it reminded me of that movie. Is it called Black Swan?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh, she's the ballerina.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and who is Gosh, I can't even remember her name. I'm looking at her face in my brain right now.
Speaker 3: The girl from Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from Star Wars. And she starts sprouting feathers. Well that's what they're doing. No, no, no, no, nope.
Speaker 4: Nope, we'll get it. We'll get it.
Speaker 1: But anyway, if you haven't looked at him, I mean, there's still thousands of people watch him. It's hard to watch him at night because they're they're infrared cameras busted. But they're so cute and it's so cool to see him growing and getting bigger and getting their little personalities.
Speaker 4: Here's what's ahead on wake up Call.
Speaker 1: China has responded to President Trump increasing tariffs to one hundred and twenty five percent by upping its tariff rates on US imports from eighty four to one hundred twenty five percent. The Chinese Commerce Ministry says China is ready to fight to the end and the tariffs war against the US. A hearing is being held today in the case of Lyle and Eric Menendez, who have been asked or have asked to be re sentenced for the murder of their parents. They're serving life sentences. Five deputies and a dispatcher have been honored for saving a drowning child in Cerritos.
Speaker 4: I love this story.
Speaker 1: A ceremony was held for the guys yesterday at Cerrito City Hall. Deputies pulled the little boy out of the lake at Don Canambi Park on the night of March twenty ninth. He wasn't breathing, so they did CPR and revived him. He's made a full recovery. There's a growing trend in the US. It's called prepared citizens. Who are they? What are they doing? ABC's Crime and Terror analyst Will arm us with the information. It's a DIY weekend with the house Whisper and we'll be talking to the host of Home on KFI, Dean Sharp. Love a good DIY and if you're going to head to the theater or hunker down on the couch, there are a lot of tales to tell. ABC's Will Gans is gonna tell us all about him. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. La County DA Nathan Hakman has requested a judge to withdraw his office's motion to re sentence the Menendez brothers.
Speaker 6: The request was made by Hawkman's predecessor, George Gascon. Hawkman will present his arguments to drop the motion to a judge this morning. He's also come out against a new trial for the brothers, who were convicted of murdering their parents in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine. Family members of Eric and Lahmanendez have been pushing for their release. Hackman says the brothers haven't changed and they haven't taken full responsibility for their crime. State prole boards will conduct hearings to determine whether Governor Newsom should grant the brothers clemency in June. Michael Krozer KFI News.
Speaker 1: Some local VIPs have teamed up to rebuild the Pacific Palisades Recreation Center, even.
Speaker 7: Though their political rivals, LA Mayor Karen Bass and developer Rick Caruso say they plan to help rebuild the center damaged in January's wildfire. Lakers head coach JJ Reddicks as his new organization, LA Strong Sports, will help lead the work.
Speaker 8: We have already engaged with local groups and people who were instrumental in making the rec center so special in the first place.
Speaker 7: LA Strong Sports has plans to rejuvenate parks across the city, but will start with the one in the Palisades, which is where Reddick lives with his family.
Speaker 3: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: California has been struggling to find enough teachers and aids for its growing transitional kindergarten programs. A lot of qualified early childhood educators are discouraged by the state's strict credentialing requirements, which include a degree, coursework assessments, and up to six hundred hours of unpaid training. The overall teacher shortage makes it even harder for districts to hire and retain staff, with nearly twelve thousand teachers and over sixteen thousand aids still needed with.
Speaker 4: Easter just over a week away.
Speaker 1: Animal rescue groups in LA are asking people not to buy rabbits and baby chicks as Easter gifts for kids. They say buying or adopting a live animal on a whim often leads to abandonment when the novelty wears off and families realize they can't properly take care of those pets. Instead of a live animal, rescue groups recommend buying a stuffed toy bunny or chocolate candy rabbit for kids Easter baskets. I'm all for the chocolate candy rabbit for sure. Let's say good morning now to best selling finances writer Jared Dylan.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Jared, good morning.
Speaker 8: How are you.
Speaker 4: We're doing great.
Speaker 1: We wanted to talk to you because you are not only a financial writer, you are also an active investor. You spent part of your career on Wall Street, so we needed to talk to somebody in the know about what the heck is going on. The wild ride continues on Wall Street, probably going to continue today. Do we have any idea what's in store for this today's trading session?
Speaker 8: You know, looking at my screen right now, stocks are up a little bit, bonds are down a little bit. The dollar is down big.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: One of the stories that hasn't really been told about this crisis is that it's not just a stock market that that's a mess. The bond market is a complete disaster. The dollar has lost about three or four percent of its value just in the last two days. The bond market in particular. You know, usually when stocks are crashing, bonds go up and interest rates come down. Bonds have been getting killed. There's a lot of speculation, and I believe this that China is actually selling some of their eight hundred billion worth of treasury bonds as retaliation for the tariffs. And like I said, I one hundred percent believe this is true because the price action makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Is there a way to your saying that there's some speculation and you think that there's probably right, But is there a way to tell if China's.
Speaker 8: Doing that no, there really there really isn't a way to tell, you know. You can you can just kind of see how it's trading on the screen, and you can watch the price action, but there's no like audit trail that tells you where the cell orders are coming from.
Speaker 1: Okay, and are all these ups and downs that we're seeing?
Speaker 4: Did we end up down yesterday?
Speaker 1: Or I know that stock futures are up a little bit today, like you just mentioned, But did we end up down yesterday?
Speaker 8: We were down? We were down about three percent yesterday. It was yesterday was actually a pretty ugly day. Today's looking be a little bit better, you know. I actually I tend to be a little bit negative and pessimistic all the time. But in spite of that, I do believe that this crisis is going to be temporary. I think there is going to be an off ramp uh to the tariffs. I think somebody, whether it's Trump or Bessent, is going to make a comment, and I think stocks will recover most of the losses sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Well, certainly hope so.
Speaker 1: And China responded again by saying, Okay, well, we're going to increase our eighty four percent tariffs to one five percent to match the US ones. So are are all of these swings on Wall Street? Is everything really tied to the tariffs? I mean it appears to be, but are there other factors in play?
Speaker 8: No, it's it's uh, it's it's really just the tariffs. I mean, first of all, you know China. You know, China is playing poker, and China is a good poker player. But the United States has the upper hand here. We import much much more goods from China than they import from US. They're tariffs on the US. They already had tariffs. Their tariffs are pretty much meaningless. What we're trying to do is drive China into an economic depression so that it weakens their ability to spend on their military. There's geopolitical objective here, and Trump has not communicated that. I think if he got in front of a podium and he said, look like, we're going to have to endure some volatility, We're going to have to pay higher prices for goods. But there's there's a purpose behind this, and I think people could get behind it. But he has not communicated the vision.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I hadn't I hadn't heard that one yet, so really it's that's the goal of this.
Speaker 4: I thought it was still like even the playing field.
Speaker 8: So it's many things, it's even the playing field. And and the government does want to raise revenue off of the tariffs. They want to raise about six hundred billion dollars a year, which by the way, is about the exact amount which they're cutting taxes, So it's really just collecting taxes in a different sort of way. So that is part of the goal. But no, really, the strategic goal here is to put China out of business, much like what Reagan did with the Soviets back in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's interesting, Okay, So as we navigate this wild ride on Wall Street, Jared, what kind of things should people be thinking about as they look at their investments and what should they be doing, if.
Speaker 8: Anything, Probably the best thing to do pretty much ninety nine percent of the time is to do nothing. And there is a time to panic, but that time has passed. The first rule about panicking is if you're going to panic, you have to panic before everybody else does. So now it's too late. It is too late to panic. I would not sell your stocks down here okay, so.
Speaker 1: All right, and as an investor, are you buying now?
Speaker 8: I mean I'm doing I'm doing a lot of things. I do have. I do have some exposure to the stock market. It's kind of complicated. I've been like selling put options on the index, and you know, I am betting that stocks are going up.
Speaker 1: So yes, okay, all right, Well there you have it, all right. Jared Dillon, best selling financial writer Wall Street alumni, I guess you would call him and also active investor. Thank you so much for your time and insight. I learned something new today.
Speaker 4: Cool when that happens. Thank you, Jared. My trying to kill their economy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Speaking of tariffs, Joina said it will allow fewer US films to be imported.
Speaker 4: In response to tariffs.
Speaker 10: The Chinese Film Administration has announced it will moderately reduce the number of American films imported. Thirty four foreign films are permitted to be released in China each year. The Chinese Film Administration said tariff's imposed by President Trump will inevitably further reduce the domestic audience's favorability towards American films. The Marvel film Thunderbolts had reportedly just been approved to be released on April thirtieth, but it's not clear whether or not it will go forward. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: Financial analysts are watching what happens on Wall Street with China stepping up. It's part of the trade war with the US. The Chinese course of race tariffs on American goods to one hundred and twenty five percent. Tucker Perkins, President and CEO of the Propane Education and Research Council, says there are serious concerns when it comes to the energy market.
Speaker 3: The real issue for the energy community is what happens to the economies. Do the economies reset and maybe we go into a worldwide recession.
Speaker 1: China's move follows the Trump administration bumping up traffs on Chinese products to one hundred and forty five percent. Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Junior, says he has initiated a research effort to uncover the cause of what he calls the autism epidemic by this fall. But Stanford Pediatrician pediatrician doctor Alec Patel says he thinks that's not really doable.
Speaker 9: To come together and say that we're just seeing to get a bunch of scientists together and get an answer byt September, that seems a little far fetched.
Speaker 1: In the past, Kennedy has talked about a connection between vaccines and autism, despite several studies refuting that, the Senate Commerce Committees hearing yesterday on changing the twice a year clock switch didn't make any decisions. Those for ditching the time change say it's outdated, but President of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety David Harkey says switching the clocks can actually make driving safer.
Speaker 2: Changing the clocks twice a year is relevant to road safety first and foremost because it affects the amount of ambient light during peak times for travel.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty two, the Senate passed a measure that would lock clocks to daylight saving time, but the House never took it up. Okay, I told you in my rings, driving me crazy. I just got another alert. Now what anybody here a big boom?
Speaker 10: Really you can have to adjust that.
Speaker 4: There's a way, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Hey, the Dodgers take on the Rockies tonight at Dodgers Stadium. Nope, that is the wrong one. That's for Monday the fourteenth. Let me see if I can find today's promo. Hold, please, Dodgers promos.
Speaker 4: Friday.
Speaker 1: Oh it's Freddy Freeman Bobblehead night. I got some stuck in my throat. The Dodgers are back in LA to take on the Cubs. First pitch goes out tonight at seven o'clock. You can listen to every play of every Dodger's game on a five seventy LA Sports Live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth. You can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword Am five seventy LA Sports. The Supreme Court says the Trump administration must facilitate the release of a man from Maryland swept up in an ice rate and accidentally sent to a present prison in El Salvador. In the ruling yesterday, the High Court didn't say that Kilmar Abrego Garcia has to immediately be returned, but that the administration must work and show what they're doing to get him back to the US. The California Assembly has voted down proposed budget amendments to terminate medical funding for illegal immigrants in California's high speed rail project. The healthcare program will cost a state nine and a half billion dollars this year. The high speed rail projects costs a balloon from an initial eight billion dollars in two thousand and eight to over one hundred and thirty billion. GLP one drugs are pushing weight Watchers into bankruptcy. The weight Loss Company is working with lenders and is expected to file bankruptcy in the next few months. Let's say good morning now to ABC's crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett. Brad, there's a growing trend in the US called prepared citizens.
Speaker 3: What are they?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 11: If you take amy the everyday gun owner, folks that aren't part of the militia, left right type group, just everyday folks, pilots, nurses, you name it, who like to shoot weapons. Some of them want to take a step further and learn how to shoot from a to combat positions. In others you'd need somebody obviously to teach you to do that. Adding things like learning how to fly drones for reconnaissance, doing things like homesteady. You know, the list goes on and on, but it's basically people. I think if you look amy across the country, there's a lot of masurety for people in their own minds and in reality too, that things aren't like they used to be, and I think they feel vulnerable and as a result, they feel like they need to better protect themselves and their loved ones. So these things are cropping up across a number of states. It tends to be private companies. Former military tend to run them to teach people these skill sets, and I think it's another example of that. You know, people believe that the government can't protect them like they believe the government could in the past. And it's very complex. I'm sure there are other reasons why people are doing this.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you hear the rumblings and the rhetoric and stuff, and people are like, I think we're getting ready for a civil war, So some people are taking that to heart.
Speaker 11: I think that is some of it, that it's civil UNRESK gets to a point where it's you against them. Those that are trained, pre pare aired, you know, have probably a higher survival rate. So you know, it turns this can turn into sort of a really dark statement. But I do think that there is a there's a mood of that in the country at this point.
Speaker 1: Okay, And is this Brad people who already are like gun owners not going to think or are more people saying, hey, I need to do that and then beyond that, need to get trained.
Speaker 11: I think it tends to be gun owners. I mean, think about it this way, Amy that in any given month, they're about a million and a half guns sold in this country each month. Some months are higher, some of the lower. It went up quite a bit higher during the pandemic. But the point being, that's a lot of weapons, and I think it tends to be people that either have recently purchased or just have firearms and they're only sort of routine outlet was to go to a range. Obviously, this is a whole different dimension. And obviously it's a it's a big investment of time to learn all these other skill sets. I mean, combat shooting. I've done a lot of that, and it's, you know, a certain skill set you have to practice. Can you shoot while you're running? Can you go behind things? Can you lay on the ground and shoot? And apparently that's what they're teaching folks.
Speaker 4: Okay, and you you mentioned too that again, we've.
Speaker 1: Heard of like these little places people go off the grid and go out into the woods and do all their military or paramilitary training and that kind of stuff. But this isn't This isn't that. This isn't fringe groups or left and right extremist groups.
Speaker 4: This is more mainstream.
Speaker 11: This is more mainstream, and that's and that's how it's presented. You know, that's not going the gate of the crowd you just talked about, continuing to do their training for a whole different sort of philosophy or or maybe some of us to say, Amy, I mean those those folks fall into a number of categories, but one is that they believe that the world's falling apart and they're going to have to find a remote place to survive.
Speaker 4: And if it does, they're going to be ready.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to be hoping that I have gas in my tank to get out of town.
Speaker 11: We're just waiting for Starbucks though.
Speaker 4: That's fun.
Speaker 1: Brad Garrett, thank you so much. This is a very information, very interesting information. I appreciate you coming on with us this morning.
Speaker 11: You're welcome to Amy.
Speaker 4: I know that there is a.
Speaker 1: There is an area of California that I know of that is not a fringe group, and they I swear the whole area is like yep, we're ready in case, in case the stuff hits the fan, and I'm like, well, that's where I'm going if I've got a full tank of guess A helicopters crashed into the Hudson River, killing all six people on board. This woman's as she saw the whole thing yesterday, I was a shock.
Speaker 10: I tried to call nine one launch, I couldn't reach anyone.
Speaker 4: I just ran towards it.
Speaker 11: It was very fuss.
Speaker 1: Video posted online appears to show the helicopter breaking apart before landing in the water. Please say the helicopter was carrying a pilot, two adults, and three kids. They were all tourists from Spain. It's not clear yet what caused the crash. Two former police officers in Torrents had pleaded guilty to spray painting a swastika inside a car in twenty twenty. That led to an investigation into vandalism that turned up text messages between officers which used racist and homophobic slurs. The texts also joked about beating up and racially profiling people. The two officers will be on probation for two years. A reusable tote bag is causing a frenzy in California.
Speaker 12: Rater Joe's has brought back its popular canvas mini toats this week. The new pastel colors coming baby Blue, Pink, Lavender, and mind green. The bags cost just two ninety nine, but some resellers are charging big bucks. The eBay four mini tooe bags can cost up to ninety dollars, not including taxes. One Pink Mini tote is currently listed at just under one thousand dollars. Some people have been spending hours lined up outside their local trader Joe's in hopes of getting a bag. Depor mark Ka a fine news.
Speaker 1: People are silly and the toads are cute. They look like Easter, but not for one thousand bucks.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: The iconic, Speaking of Pink, the iconic Pink's Hot Dogs will open a spot at the La Zoo today, bringing its world famous winners to more than one and a half million annual visitors to the Zoo. The new location will open inside the Zoo next to the Cape Vulture Plaza, offering staple menu items like Pink's famous chili Dog.
Speaker 4: The Guadalajara Dog and of course the Betty White Dog.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, if you were with us on wake Up Call, we got to talk to NASA astronaut and Space Force Guardian Colonel Nick Haig, who recently returned from the International Space Station. It has been so much fun getting to know him and learn about what he's doing. We do have the full interview up on our website KFI AM six forty dot com and just go to the wake Up Call page so slash wake Up Call and really interesting stuff. Just love talking to Colonel Hag and wanted to give a shout out to our well he's our liner guy, our promo guy, the creative man Clay Rowe who put together this really super fun promo.
Speaker 2: People of Earth sets your alarm clock for wake Up Call weekdays from five to six am.
Speaker 1: Say good morning to NASA astronaut and Space Force Guardian Colonel Nick Haig, who just returned from the International Space Station.
Speaker 2: Here Amy King asked the tough questions.
Speaker 4: I've heard that some astronauts come back taller.
Speaker 13: He came back taller, and then I locked it all.
Speaker 11: Gravity took it away.
Speaker 4: You got a haircut in space? How does that work?
Speaker 13: Essentially you're hooking a vacuum cleaner to the hair tremmer, but we received no training on how to give a haircut. The first one is a little you know, dicey wake Up Call.
Speaker 2: With Amy kadi Am a tripping time on KFI AM six forty more stimulating talk from space.
Speaker 4: So much fun again.
Speaker 1: You can listen to the full interview on our website KFIAM six forty dot com.
Speaker 4: Just go to the wake up Call page.
Speaker 1: When we come back, it's a DIY weekend with the house Whisper and the host of Home on KFI Dean Sharp. Some projects you can tackle on your own and when you should call in the professionals. A Russian born woman from Los Angeles in prison for treason in Russia is back on American soil Cassinia, Carolina, touchdown at Joint Bass Andrews in Maryland yesterday after she was freed in a prisoner swap with Russia. She thanked President Trump and the American government for helping her get home. Police are looking for four men in dark hoodies who pulled off a smash and grab robbery in Sherman Oaks. Pullyse say the guys shattered glass counters and stole a bunch of jewelry from a store in the Westfield Fashion Square shortly after noon yesterday. Got away in a silver gray Oudi A six with a yellow covering over its license plates. Hikers beware, there's snakes in them our hills. A hiker got bit yesterday around five pm on a remote section of toy On Trail in Griffith Park. LA Fire says the hiker was airlifted out of the park and take to the hospital and is in fair condition. LA Fire says most snake bites happen in the springtime, when snakes come out of their hibernation like state. At six oh five, its handle on the news, we got a tit for tat thing going because the US put tariffs on China. Then China put tariffs on the US, and then we did it back to them, and now they're doing it back to us.
Speaker 4: When will it end?
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning too. The host of home on KFI our house whisper Dean Sharp.
Speaker 3: Morning, Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a dy weekend. I love a good DIY. It's so fun. Yeah, it makes you feel like you really kind of can accomplish things. And we've got some big projects, some small projects. But you're going to be talking about diys on your show this weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we're going to be focusing on sometimes very little things make the big difference when di wires get active on a project and they get frustrated because they're like, well, wait, the instructions never said how much of this or how little of that, or how to do this. And so I'm going to be taking and tackling some of those those little techniques that make all the difference. And we'll be taking calls on Saturday and spending most of Sunday talking about these fix it tips.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's so many here. I'm like, oh, yeah, need to do that, need to do that. I've tried that, can't do that. Here's an easy one, hopefully. What if your toilet runs in the middle of the night. That's still a problem sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yes, the haunted toilet.
Speaker 5: Why are we laying in bed and all of a sudden we hear the toilet running. It's usually something super super simple. It's just usually nine times out of ten, it's the flapper inside the tank. It's that little flap that opens up that the chain is connected to from the handle of the toilet. That flapper sits in water constantly in its entire life, and eventually the rubber of the flapper starts to fail, and so it starts leaking water a little bit into the tank, a little bit, a little bit more, and then the tank drops its water level and the valve wants to refill it, and that's what we hear in the middle of the night. Fortunately, a flapper.
Speaker 14: Costs like four dollars five dollars at the hardware core and takes all of you know, thirty seconds to change out, and suddenly we will not have our haunted toilet being used by no one in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's a great quick fix. Okay, here's another one. I've run into this. I bet you have to what do you do when you bust a light bulb and you need to get it out and there's all that sharp glass.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know what I've I always mentioned two things here, because there's the right way to do it, and then there is this.
Speaker 3: Kind of mythological story of how to do it.
Speaker 5: I think if you look online, everybody says, oh, just get a potato, Get a rusted potato and shove it up in there and start to turn it. And you know what, we've tried it before and every once in a while it works. But don't waste your time with the potato. There's no reason to get a potato anywhere near a broken light bulb. You just make sure that the power is off and that there is no energy running to that fixture. And this is where the use of a pair of needle nosed pliers comes in handy. You either grab the very center of that broken bulb fixture, or with needlenose plyers, you can grab the edge of the of the brass cup that's still stuck up there in the fixture, bend it in a little bit and rotate it clockwise and you'll see that you'll get all of that out quickly. Don't worry about using a rusted potato.
Speaker 4: But I have used the potato and it did work one time.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 5: And you know the funny thing is because potatoes are just firm enough and just moist enough that they form kind of a vacuum seal around what's left and they become essentially a wrench for taking it out. It's just will frustrate somebody if you go all the way to the store and hit a potato, bring it home, get up there on your ladder and find out that the fixture is stuck in there a little bit too much, and that the potato just turns and turns, and you're like, Okay, why did I waste a trip to the store when I could have just used a pair of plyers?
Speaker 3: Exactly, so to just use the plyer.
Speaker 1: Dean Sharp is going to be saving you unnecessary trips to the store all weekend long. I would love to talk about more of this. Unfortunately we don't have the time to do it, but you're going to talk about it this weekend. What to do with mushy light recept I've got that problem. How do you repair a damaged window screen, I've got that problem. How do you fix a jiggling doorknob, I've got that problem. And how do you reattach loose carpet. I've got all these problems. So I'm going to be listening to your show this weekend. Dean sounds great, Okay, great Saturday from six to eight right here on KFI, and then Sundays nine to noon. It's a home with Dean Sharp. You can also follow him at home with Dean. Thank you, Dean Sharp.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Wow, Courtney, what a week on Wall Street Friday. You're probably going, oh my god, I get a weekend, not to deal.
Speaker 4: With it at A'm on vacation next week. So I'm really looking forward to this.
Speaker 3: I bet you never said that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you earned it. You earned it.
Speaker 1: So after all, yesterday we were down like two thousand points, and then what did we end the day on?
Speaker 15: Well, when we look at the markets, there was like this huge stampede out of stocks yesterday after that big, big buying wave, one of the biggest that we've seen in years, right, so why they're all bay Well still underneath it all, there is concern growing that the escalation of the trade war is going to bring lasting damage to economic growth. The recession word every pro I'm talking to, recession, recession, recession, that's all what we're hearing. So yesterday the dutfell oney fifteen points, the S and P five hundred tumbled three and a half percent, giving back some of the huge gains. I mean, we were close to three thousand points higher on Wednesday when it came to the Doubt. But see what's happening is so many people on Wall Street are really struggling to figure out what the next move is in this constantly evolving trade policy. Like this morning, China coming out raising duties on goods to one hundred and twenty five percent starting tomorrow. But despite that, stocks are moving higher. And by the way, this report is sponsored by Total Wine and more Doubt futures right now they're up. We're getting a bit of a recovery today, up one hundred and ninety five points, SESS and P futures gaining half a percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you mentioned the possibility of recession Courtney, and you said, we're seeing we're starting to see the return of recession.
Speaker 4: Hair at salons.
Speaker 10: What is that?
Speaker 15: Yes, Well, in two thousand and eight, everybody was trying to go a little on the cheap. Some people were trying to do their own haircuts because of course it was it was really rough out there during the financial crisis. But hairstylists that we've been talking to also massage therapists, to colorists, nail folks, they're witnessing firsthand some of the earliest possible signs that we may be headed for an economic downturn. They say that customers are choosing cheaper, more low maintenance looks so they don't have to go back.
Speaker 4: All that often.
Speaker 15: And clients who previously got color every two to three weeks, they're now stretching it to about four and five.
Speaker 4: There were seeing more roots people.
Speaker 15: But some of the hair pros they say that they're seeing lesson tips and that's tough for them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, all right, Well that's getting in your business with Bloomberg Courtney donaho We apparently won't be talking to you next week where you go on vacation.
Speaker 15: I am going to Florida to visit my brother. My brother is actually moving back home to New York and so I have to transport a cat.
Speaker 4: It It should be funny. So we'll see.
Speaker 15: We're taking oscar back to New York.
Speaker 1: Well, good luck with that, and we will still get in your business on Monday morning. It will just be with someone else. Thank you, Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe, See you later.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Two laped officers have been hurt in a fight with a person in the Florence neighborhood of South la. It happened about two forty five yesterday afternoon. The officers were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. One person was arrested. Not clear what started the fight. Twelve pro Palestinian protesters are facing felony charges for allegedly breaking into and vandalizing and building at Stanford. Prosecutors say the group then barricaded themselves inside the president's office last June and demanded the university divest from investments with Israel.
Speaker 4: They were arrested to the next day.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors say the group did between three hundred and fifty thousand and a million dollars in damage. San Francisco Mayor Daniel Lurie says WEIMO driverless vehicles can enter car free zones in the city, not pedestrian zones. The zones were previously restricted for public transit, emergency vehicles, and commercial delivery trucks. Now opening up to WEMO, WEIMO is starting to map out the area, hopes to be operating in the city by this summer. Let's say good morning to ABC's Will Gans Will if you're going to theaters, is Robbie Malick the guy to watch.
Speaker 9: He is the guy to watch, and he has the oscar to prove it. You know. After Bohemian Rhapsody and his turn as Spready Mercury, he's now changing genres and he stars in a spy thriller. It's called The Amateur, and he plays a character who is sort of like a computer geek who works for the government, but his wife is killed by a small group of terrorists and he decides that he personally is going to get revenge on all of them, so he sort of goes rogue when his bosses aren't doing enough in his opinion, and he's trained by Lawrence Fishburne, and he goes on a personal mission to hunt these people down one by one, and it's kind of a fun take.
Speaker 8: On the genre.
Speaker 9: You know. He's an unlikely hero, a little bit of a geek, but he uses his tech savvy to do some cool stuff in the movie. So it's a good one that's in theaters this weekend.
Speaker 4: Spies going rogue.
Speaker 3: Never heard of that before, imagine yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But Robbie Mallock, he's fun because, like you said, even though he kind of plays like a geek guy, he kind of looks that I mean and you're I'm just surprised.
Speaker 4: He's such a great actor. I love watching him.
Speaker 9: He's so good. And you know, there are some like really touching moments, you know, where he's exploring his grief. And Katrina balf who was in Belfast a couple of years ago, is in this too, and yeah, so it is like, of course it's a good action packed spy thriller, but it also has some really great acting moments in it as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, speak of movies in theaters, I still haven't seen the Penguin Lessons, have you no?
Speaker 9: And I'm glad to hear you say you haven't either. That means I'm in good company because I told you I would, and I haven't kept my end of the bargain. But I said I was too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I haven't heard anything about it from anybody same.
Speaker 9: But maybe the world is waiting on us, Amy. Maybe we're the ones that are going to really turn the page for these penguins.
Speaker 1: All right, well it I mean, it looks like it's just like this lovely thing that you need to bring tissues to. And it's Steve Coogan, who I think he's just a fun actor. So I'm going to check it out eventually, but let's go back to the stream.
Speaker 9: So Hacks is back, Oh and thank god. I just it is like one of my all time favorite shows. And if you'll believe it, everyone is saying that season four is somehow their best yet and that they're really hitting their stride in season four, and I'm like, what do you mean they're hitting their stride? Like the stride has been going strong since season one. But yeah, episodes one and two of the brand new season dropped last night on and of course, Jeane Smart is back as Deborah Vance, and Hannah Einbinder is back as her sort of frenemy best frenemy writer, you know, extraordinary. So it's they're picking up right where season three left off, which is, you know, her character just was named the host of a late night show and that's sort of the direction that we're headed in this season. But it's just it's so great.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: The episodes are about half an hour each and they're hilarious and they're brilliantly acted, and yeah, I'm just so glad Hacks is back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you mentioned front of Me.
Speaker 1: I'm like that that even that is going to be tested this season after what Little Hannah pulled in the last episode of last year.
Speaker 4: If you haven't watched it, I don't want to ruin it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, a taste of her own medicine though, but it's fun to see that sort of power dynamic shift a little bit.
Speaker 1: Absolutely okay, and what will happen to June Osborne the final season of Handmaid's Tale?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 9: The first three episodes of the last season of Handmaid's Tailor out on Hulu now, and then from here it'll be a brand new episode every Tuesday till the end of May, and then we're we're saying goodbye to that series for good. So this is of course based on the Margaret Atwood novel and then some and it is you know, right from the jump, action packed Serena and June bump into each other on a train and yeah, it's we're off to the races already. And you know, this is a little bit of a heavier watch, longer episodes, but you know, Elizabeth Moss has won an Emmy for playing this as well, so really well acted and the final chapter, so I think a lot of folks will be tuning in to see how all of this wraps up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well, I'm going to tell you I did watch it the first three episodes, and I'm I'm a little hesitant because, like you were saying, it's based on the book, and then some it's kind of like they've got to find some story and it's makes sense what they're trying to do, but I'm like, it's feeling a little drawn out to me in.
Speaker 4: Some of the situations. I'm like, yeah, how did that happen?
Speaker 1: Like it's just I don't know, I feel like it's it's getting close to jumping the sharp.
Speaker 4: So it's probably good that this is the last season.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm with you. Like some sometimes it's like this character can't survive this long, Like we can't, you know what I mean, Like how many times is it going to be a narrow myths or you know, a quick escape at the last moment. I'm with you there, but I do think that, you know, hopefully they'll land the plane and you know, there are only a few more episodes left to go, so.
Speaker 1: I'm still watching it, still watching it, all right. Yeah, ABC's well, Gans, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Have a great weekend, you too, Amy, Take care all right.
Speaker 1: Rising tariffs are weighing on local businesses. Michelle Lomaline owns Sweet Petite Confections in San Diego. She says her costs have been going up for a while with rising prices for chocolate, and now she says prices for things like her packaging, which comes from China, are headed up.
Speaker 15: I have bond on ons that are three dollars of online, and my competitors are all for four four fifty five dollars of online.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go up to maybe three seventy five.
Speaker 1: Some business owners say, as well as costs going up, they've seen a significant drop in sales. Recently, news brought to you by Simper Solaris the California Assemblies voted down proposed budget amendments to terminate medical funding or for illegal immigrants and also California's high speed rail project. State Assembly Wman Carl Demyo says the bill would have done a lot to help California.
Speaker 16: Eliminate funding for illegal immigrant free healthcare at taxpayer expense, as well as direct the elimination the suspension the cancelation of the high speed rail project, which has become a multi billion dollar boon.
Speaker 1: Doggle Demio says The vote prioritizes illegal immigrants and a train over taxpayers to keep taxpayer funded healthcare for illegal immigrants. Healthcare for illegal immigrants is going to cost US state nine and a half billion dollars this year. The high speed rail project's costs a balloon from an initial eight billion dollars in two thousand and eight to over one hundred thirty billion dollars. LA Kenny fire Station one sixty four and Huntington Beach is reopening today. It's been closed for the last month eleven months because it was heavily damaged by an early morning fire. The fire tore through the two story fire station around four a m.
Speaker 4: Last May.
Speaker 1: Fire crew has been working out of a temporary facility for almost a year. Probably going to be good to go home and the fiftieth Long Beach Grand Prix opens today with qualifying for all races. There will also be the start of the drifting competition and a concert tonight by the Canadian DJ Dubs DJ Duo Dubs. You can tell I'm familiar with who they are, Okay. The Long Beach Grand Prix was first run in nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 4: Is a Formula five thousand race. Is that right? A Formula five thousand, a Formula five hundred.
Speaker 3: I would think five hundred, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, Editor Brian, Let's check that it was a race for open wheel cars with maximum five point leader engine capacity. It was a Formula one race from nineteen seventy six to eighty three before it became an indie car event. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from kffive got some areas of low clouds in fog. Otherwise mostly sunny with some clouds rolling through. Highs in the low seventies at the beaches, seventies and eighties for Metro La Inlando, c and the Anlope Valley, uprating to low nineties for the valleys and Inland Empire fifty seven and Fuller ten, fifty one in San Clemente, sixty in Pasadena, and fifty eight in Santa Monica. Live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Cono along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed in a wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeart Radio app