Speaker 1: All right, I'm here with Johannah mcbrian. Thank you so much for being back.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Thank you for asking me checking in ten years later. I just looked, so I was ten years flew by.
Speaker 2: And we've known each other for a lot longer than that.
Speaker 1: But the last time I was, I.
Speaker 2: Was on your your recording, it was it was ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. I mean I remember when I do believe that when we very first met. I had a piece of New Hampshire furniture at my auction and you showed up with brock Joke and you were there making notes, taking measurements, all that stuff. That's when we first.
Speaker 2: Met nine months ago. That was for the master Work of Portsmouth Furniture Book and exhibition. Yeah, that was that was a lot of fun whenever I met a lot of people, a lot of great people through that. So I appreciate it that counity.
Speaker 1: I love that book. I have that book and that's one of my favorite points.
Speaker 2: And they had the anniversary at the Historical side of the Portsmouth recently, not recently, that was probably five years ago at this point. I know Jerry Ward put that, uh put that a book together and I gave a little presentation actually a Lanley boardman who was one of the cabinet makers whom I wrote for the book, and he was also one of my thesis, the focus of my thesis with Samuel Dock when they're both cabinet makers enforcement and the I had actually discovered where he trained and who put whom he trained.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I gave a talk there as part of the series of the anniversary and unfortunately it will never be published, so it will, I guess just go die with me, but those who are at the at the session. So but yeah, I traced him back to Salem and uh and to the into where he were. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Now as far as these things used to seem like they mattered so much more, and you know, years ago, like when people really really into like for instance, it was a wonderful opportunity to own a really nice piece support Smith furniture. And you know, I loved those little drop apron you know, paneled both front chests and you know with the beautiful satin wood and you know match Mahogany veneers and all that, and does that still exist there's you know, I mean, I know things are selling for a fraction, but there's still people that want this type of furniture.
Speaker 2: I would certainly hope. So again, I'm not in that. When we spoke last ten years ago, I was the founding editor of Antiqusifinder Magazine, which now no longer survives now is in collect Magazine. That's why I stayed with it for so long. I was there for twenty something years because I knew that once I left, it's folks would shift, and I wanted to stay as long as I could to provide a forum for people, for scholars to publish material. And so I was very in tuned, you know, with with who was buying and whatnot at that point. And I've been here at Denna Museum and Archive in Dena, mass for seven years this June actually, and so I'm not I don't go to the auctions like I used to, but I still do go I still do attend antique shows and there's certainly still course with furniture that I do find, you know, when I go through the antique shows, particularly the New Hampshire and TSE Dealer Show and the Manchester New Hampshire Shows and the other shows that are up there. Deerfield et cetera. So it's definitely still out there. There's definitely interest. People say there's no interest in brownwood anymore. I don't. I don't agree with that. I think that's just been a market adjustment because things have gotten so high in price that they the average person couldn't afford it.
Speaker 1: That's correct es actually.
Speaker 2: Younger people, because I'm sorry to interrupt you, but when most people don't seriously collect, at least in the last several decades until they get a little older, because they have house to pay off, college to pay off themselves and their kids, so they don't have the resources to seriously buy something in the in the five digits plus category. So a lot of smalls, we find a lot of smalls are purchased. A lot of people start off with smalls because that's what you can afford, and you can add little accents with smalls and people. There was a for a long time, a big push with modernism, and that's now not as big as it was. For a while. You know, the gray and the black and the white and everything sleek and whatnot. Then there became more interest in this was the term. It's basically maximalism instead of minimalism, and so you know, lots of textures and colors and you know, patterns in a space, and oftentimes there'll be like an accent piece of a one nice really nice piece and then smalls you know associated that because again you first of all, it's a living comfortable the comfortable living aesthetic that I think is also changed. Most people don't live in formal houses like museum houses anymore. They don't live in a formal side dining room for example, the side or laid out. That's why silver isn't as popular as it used to be, because people don't do that anymore. China, forget about it. I mean, people just can't give it away. You know that from I'm sure from you know, being the auctions, because people don't have these multi course meals anymore. So culture is changing, and as culture changes, the interests as far as what people want to live with. And again, living in a formal setting isn't what many people feel is comfortable. So that's why this this shift towards more and also and then you have the modernism, which is again cool and whatnot. It's still you still see in the designer decorated books. It's still chic, but the comfort aspect of the of the textiles and the patterns and the and the stuff is also now a part of it. And again I think the accents play large part, especially with people who are who are not able to spend a thousand or more on something. Even though an accent piece can be a small can be that much too. And when I go to a show, I tend to buy buy things. In fact, I saw Clayton Pennington of Manti Digestive last year at the New Hampshire and Tip Show and he and Lada No, it was actually in New York and January. I hadn't been in there five years, but I decide, okay, so that should go down. And I saw Clayton and Leda Lida Salls Colin. She's amazing, she's in her nineties, God bless her. And they were like, oh, we should do an article on you. And you know, you know what's you collect. It's like I wouldn't say I'm a collector, certainly. I I just it's things that I enjoy. So it's nothing even't expensive at all, trust me. But there are things that I enjoy it like smalls And when I go to the antique shows show I can afford things that I'll buy things that are just small, you know, like a little a little miniature bench or you know, silver, a pewter shoe or just entiniable things that are just from little accents because they make me happy. And that's I think the important thing is is you want to look at something and you want to make you happy. And you should never buy for investment, you know, That's right, that's like buying one oh one. Do not buy for investment, as you guilt. You know what's going to happen in the market, you don't know how interest are going to change, and so buy what you love, what.
Speaker 1: You love because you're living with it, live with it exactly. That's what I've told people many times over the years when they ask what should I invest in? You know, because you know, we all, as they say, as dealers, we all live with our mistakes to that, as they say, but yeah, I think you know, the trend are are funny when you think about him, But I remember, you know you think about I know you're a furniture lover. You love a nice period American furniture and.
Speaker 2: Me but I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, like you think of like Garter Townsend or a really nice Boston Peace, you know, I mean, they're They're just wonderful, and you would hope that market. I remember that Albert Sach bid for the Brown I want to say the Brown Secretary at twelve million dollars and at the time it was a young couple that bought that. You know those I don't think that would happen today, and.
Speaker 2: I I it would be. It would be unusual for that way. And Ashuly, my cousin, Alan Reid made the reproduction.
Speaker 1: For the I didn't know he was your cousin. I've known Alan since I was a kid. Alan is awesome. Yeah, I did a podcast with him.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great, good, good good. He's a great guy, so talented. He made the copy for the that's right. Family could still have the have it. But you bring up an interesting design point is that to me, classic design is classic design. It doesn't matter when it was made. So it can be from the goddard in towns in time, it can be from the nineteen sixties. If it's great design, it's great design, and they work together. And that's what people are doing more too. They're meshing time periods as long as the design works, it doesn't matter when it was made. So that's why you have fun when you collect. You know, you can buy from different time periods as long as they work together. Have fun with it. You know, you don't have to follow this this guide of you know what am I collecting? Am I doing it the right way? Follow your gut, follow your heart, and if it's something sings to you, then bam. You know that's the way to go. And if I could collect anything seriously, if I win the lottery, I certainly will. It would be actually Salem in Massachusetts from the seventeen seventies ish time period, because you have that Newport gracefulman, but it's even better, and the wood is so dense and heavy and beautiful mahogany, and there's just that gorgeous line that Hogarth curve, you know, and the and the and the carving of the I mean the shaping of uh no, no, no McIntyre.
Speaker 3: Actually McIntyre's a little later years later, but this is uh this is smack dab in the middle of you know, the the eighteenth century, and it's just such a little later mid to late eighteenth century.
Speaker 2: It's just a gorgeous, but it's it's simple. It's simple beauty, just like Hogarth. That's it, you know, the simple beauty. And that's that's that's what you That's what I look for, is just and that's what I appreciate when I go to a museum or I go to Manchie show and draw out of that simple beauty. And I like funky things too, you know. But it's again, classic design is classic design doesn't matter what time. Look a look at fashion. Women's fashion for example, you know they they cycle back around, you know, the hemlines or whatever it is, even men's ties, you know, the thin the thing that's I mean just just nothing's new. It just kind of gets added on. What is I think Steve Jobs, although he was not the first one to say this, basically said, you know how he came. You know why he was successful is he took other people's ideas and made them better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, it's kind of funny you think about what we talked earlier about sort of the Federal era designs. You know, Hepa White, the Chippendale and all that. How they shere it and how it seemed like every twenty years it be a revival of that as you go along. You used to be much more involved in auctions than you are these days. But I wanted to ask you since you and I have talked. We had this little thing called the pandemic, and that kind of changed everything for a while. I remember I I didn't know what I was going to do when that first happened. I knew I couldn't do appraisals anymore. I couldn't, you know, be involved in auctions anymore for a while. But I did a very interesting podcast with three different auction companies during the pandemic, and I remember Wes. I'm trying to think of Wes, and yes, Wes Cowen said a collector has to collect, they'll figure it out. And I really thought that was really a great saying because they did. I mean, look at the group shops when they started opening up. They were flooded with people buying. You know, everyone that I knew that owned a group shop was doing really well. Eventually auctions came back, and what I thought was going to happen was I thought it would be like a dam breaking, like they'd be so much flooded into the market, and it kind of happened that it would change everything. I look at my friend John McGinnis, for instance, and he's still backed up, you know, like a year a worth of merchandise here and there and all over the place, ready to sell all the time. So we're kind of force feeding. I had a conversation with John, I don't know, not that long ago, and he said, buyers, buyers is what I need. I need buyers get me buyers, not sellers. So right, right right, I mean, but we made it through the pandemic. We're still going things. It depends on what it is. Some things seem to be holding really well. Some things, you know, it's a hit or miss. I think you could have something in three different auctions and get three different extremes. I mean, these things are possible.
Speaker 2: So so much of it is location, location, location, location. Who where you sell a collection, And oftentimes collections have a lot of material and some things are going to do better in one place and other things would have done better had they gone somewhere else. But a family just wants to, you know, move along, so everything goes to one location and that that's always been an issue. And then you have other things like the Scrimshaw issues, you know, the which have unfortunately impacted, you know, antis dealers and collectors. I mean, think of people who.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit expand on that a little bit. There was the Endangered Species Act of nineteen seventy three, but it's been really heavily enforced and now you need a certificate of some kind right when you go to South I believe so, yeah, yeah, which is costly.
Speaker 2: It's costly, and also a lot of historic objects have been have been destroyed because of it. And unfortunately I actually spoke at the State House here in Boston with other people in the field when there were bills in Massachusetts related to in Dager Species Act. And I'm all for saving elephants me too, but you can't the things that were made hundreds of years ago. You can't put those in the same pot as things that are being done today, being poached and killed for their testimony. That's yes, of course they back then as well, but it's it's you can't put them in the same basket. And of course we want bills that save the elephants and that prevent you know, poaching and and all these horrible things that are happening now. But it doesn't mean you punish the artifacts and the history. And there's a great miniature portrait miniature sorry, somebody's rimming bell of John Ravage by John Ravage, I believe, of George Washington on Ivory. So you can destroy that because it's on Ivory. I mean, seriously, it's it's part of history. It's just crazy.
Speaker 1: So are these things, like you're saying, they're not like being destroyed destroyed? Are they?
Speaker 2: I mean, well, some are being some from what I understand, are being a disposed of or seized and or seized. Uh. And so it's it is a serious issue with antiques, you know, because so and it's difficult to tell whether something is Elphant Ivory or you know, if it's you know, uh lawrus Tusk or whatnot. If it's if it's the truth, you can tell the difference.
Speaker 1: But well, there's also the I R S as far as fair market and as far as a state tax purposes. If you have, say Asian Ivory, it's not even you know, whenever it's made, you have to appraise it as if you could sell it. When you're appraising for the I R S. Right, right, But even though you can't sell it, you have to appraise it. As if you can. So, yeah, that's a tough it's a tough situation.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: When I come across people that say what do I do with this? I say, well you can. I don't even know if you can donate it. I I've been telling people if they could, but I don't even know if that's if that's another issue that I'm.
Speaker 2: Not I can't give you an answer. We haven't had that issue at the museum, so I can't. I can't. If somebody offers us something, then we have to look into that. But I don't know. Actually, what's it? What are amusing collections? Hopefully they want be damaged. But yeah, it's it's it's a changing you know, it's always a changing landscape. It's just and again that's the reason why you buy what you love and don't buy for investment. Yeah, so you live with it and you appreciate it, and you love what you have and don't plan to you know, I'll sell this is going to be my retirement fund, and I'll sell it, you know, twenty years down the road, because you never know what's what the interests are going to be, or what the laws are going to be, you know, for for so that's why it's really critical to have that your heart sing. And if your heart doesn't sing when you see things, and you shouldn't be collecting. But as you pointed out, with the pandemic, true collectors, they're always looking for you know, it's it's a it's a it's a it's a need, it's a it's a session, it's a per session. And when I worked with Wayne Pride Antiques, this is back early in the nineties, No, mid nineties, I can't remember at this point, yeah, late nineties, and he was a consummate. He couldn't He just had to sell things. He couldn't hold on to anything. He didn't want to. He first of all, he didn't want to deny his clients, his best clients. The best stop by holding himself. He loves selling things, so he I remember one story he told me. He was He was sitting back in his chair over his desk, his feet up on the desk, saying, Hey, Johanna, I finally got this chair back. I said, when I was he said, when I was twelve years old, I sold this Windsor chair. Is the best windsor I had ever seen. And his specialty was Windsor's in antack of baskets blocked on chest, you know, my Cahoun paintings, et cetera. And he said, this is the best Windsor chair. And I promised myself, if I ever got it back, this is the one thing I would keep. The next day he was sold. Couldn't he couldn't sell. He could have not sell. So that was his passion. He loved collecting, so you know, and sell and selling, and you know he had he had the collectors loved to love to collect, and so it was that's what that's what you know, that's why people go into the business. They love the material and they love to love to sell, and you know, place place things in the right places, right locations.
Speaker 1: So anyway, well I remember he he bought uh the at the Bartlet auction that I had in nineteen eighty nine. He bought the apothecary Chess and I had. What I did was I had to move that thing. It was all It was full of the drugs, original all the way through, including a whole drawer full of lead pills that they used to prescribe. So I had all the I had all the drugs. I had one of my helpers at the time take each one out, label it in a bag and put everything in a bag. So we had all these you know, like I don't know how many drawers there were. There was like fifty sixty drawers, maybe even more.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Wayne, Wayne bought that at the time, and that was that was just a beautiful piece. And for some reason the State of New Hampshire didn't want it when they bought the other pieces. But yeah, that was that was incredible. But I remember dealing dealing. That was the only time. I mean I had talked to Wayne before different times, but that was like the first one on one dealing I had on him directly with that, and he was I just said, oh my god, this guy's funny. He's said character.
Speaker 2: He really is he he I should say, was he? Uh? He was. His mind was like a steel trap. He had like the memory every deal, every person, every contact, every whatever. It was there yead his great eyes where he would just remember every object word that he'd seen it before, and you know, is the same way. And he really knew his stuff and he was a really actually most people don't realize that he was very giving, caring, funny, uh, generous person, you know to those who you know worked with him, and you know if he didn't show that, you know, publicly in the same way. So but he did. He had a great sense of humor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's great, and I think that's a that's that's funny. I used to say that I remember things, not names. Like if I would see a person and they would have me in their house, I remember where they had as Simon Willard clock over their mantle or whatever it was. You know, like I remember those type of things, and when I run into them again, I'd say, oh, hey, do you still have that clock? But I couldn't remember their name, so that that didn't help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm there with you.
Speaker 1: It's true when we see something exciting, you know. I mean, here's the thing we can talk about again.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The appreciation that I have and I know you have tenfold of what I have, is how one fall these pieces of furniture were made with the tools that they had to make them with, and the lighting and everything you can imagine, and the apprentices working and just how they made such perfection on some of these pieces, and it's they're like a piece of artwork. Some of these pieces of furniture and and the drawers still work perfectly, and you know, I mean, it's just amazing. And I remember your cousin Alan Breed told me when he was making that copy that there were some things he just couldn't understand how they could have done with the tools they had at the time. You know, there were all these little trick things and you know that trick doors are something that you know, he just said, it was just the watches underneath.
Speaker 2: You have to trust something in the whole center. Yeah, yeah, it's and the amazing thing about it is that they weren't taking their time. I mean they had to make money too, so they were I mean they had you know, assembly, you know, even though it was different from to the fancy chairs and whatnot, where things literally are piece piece piece pieces. Uh then severally lines later on, but even in a cabinet jop you'd have something to make dovetails blah blah blah. But they were they weren't just you know there. In fact, Alan he uh, I'm writing a conversation with him once where he had a several let's say, six uh Portsmouth games chair type crest to carve to recreate, and he said the first one, you know, took he just took a bit for him to kind of get into the groove. But then you know, once he started moving along, he just knocked them out, you know, because you got into a rhythm and you again, you were on the clock. You wanted to make money. So even though yes, these things still survive, and yes it's amazing and how some of them were made, but they were you know, they weren't like being ar teeths. They were they were doing the job and that had to be done. And but there was craftsmanship, you know, versus just you know, whipping it together and and you know, rid of here out of the next one. There was definitely a craft that ship involved. As it was your reputation too, you want that. I was actually, there's a there's a lost art books. I think it is not to plug somebody's business, but he just re or just just reproduced h French seventeenth or eighteen eighteenth century books on tools and workmanship. And if I was still in that field in the same way, I would buy it in a heartbeat, because it's it's it's been translated also, so it's not in the original obviously the original French version. But at that I mean I look at my bookcase. I mean in my bookcase is at home, and that's right, that's where you know, I put the so much focuses collecting these great books of the years.
Speaker 1: But you know, and how how did the designs a lot of them originate. You think of like apple White or Sherat and you know, and and England, and yet the design comes over to America all in about the same time. And was that through publications?
Speaker 2: It was through publications, It was from imported furniture and also from craftsmen. All the craftsmen came up over so they they bring their knowledge and their skills. Actually, where I am now, the Dead Museum in Arca, we have furniture from the seventeenth century sixteen thirties time period, and it's made. It's attributed to a craftsman who was in England and trained there and about ten miles away from where he lived. His name is John Thurston. There was a pulpit and carvings that match what's on the chair, for example, And Bob Saint George Robert St. George was the first one to write about this, or an earlier person to write about this in his book, his book on the seventieth century Craft. And this is the oldest date of piece of furniture in America, so it's an extraordinary piece. It's a great chair, and they are earlier pieces made done in Plymouth, but this is the oldest stated piece of sixteen fifty two. But you can see, you know his car. But he came over, he brought, he brought what he knew in England and you know, made the furniture in the same manner as he made in England. Then he trained another fellow who came over at a younger age at about fourteen. His name was John Houghton, and that you can see the similar similarities. We have a John Thurston, he was given the master as they were called at the time. We have that chair, the great chair, and we have a chest that we bought actually at some other piece in twenty nineteen that's tribute to him. And then we have a matching chest, you know, with three panel carb chest that's made by the fellow, his apprentice whom he trained here, John Houghton, that was actually owned by the Fairbanks family and the Fairbanks house here in Denham is the oldest timber frame house in North America. It's extraordinary, so not just much to the US, US and Canada. And then he Houghton also made again the Apprentice, also made a matching or a great chair that has the same laws engine, the back panel which is the diamond shaped, similar shaped crest, et cetera, et cetera, and the three panel chests are almost identical even the way they're made, with the with the interlacing bottom boards. And so as far as I know, we're the only museum that has from the seventieth century matching Master Apprentice forms. It's really very cool. But the point is, yeah, it was right. And Thurston who was again the Master, also was one of the builders of the Fairbanks House and he also built the first school and meeting house. And Denham is the first community in the colonies lease in England to where the public voted for a tax supported public school. So that's very cool in the sixteen forties. But anyway, so he was very involved in the town. But the point being back to your question, he came over from England and we can trace exactly you know where he we know where he lived. But then with then within ten miles, there's this carving that matches what's on the chair, and so that's that's that's the fastest way that the styles would get you know, introduced, and not just in the seventeenth century. That continues, you know, through the eighteenth century, et cetera. On. But again, once you get the pattern books like the Happo Whites and Shared Heppo White, Charity's pattern Books, Charity and Happle Whites books, that's also you know, that's where you get more of a extended similarities because they're following. Chippendale's book wasn't as in earlier in the eighteenth century, it wasn't as distributed as widely, and there are other pattern books as well. This was not the only one. Chipendale was not the only one in eighteenth century. Well, but you also you also have cabinet makers producing their own books and their own price thing and whatnot. Winter Tour has some examples of that.
Speaker 1: For example, Wow, yeah, what a great museum that is.
Speaker 2: So I was lucky to go there, really was. It was. It was shop and we at that point we were able to go in and students on our own and we'd go to the collection and we could handle things and it was just it was it was, it was unreal. Actually went Frank Leevey was leave Antiques, was a year behind me, and he and I would go into the question together and uh we'd take opposite views of something. I'd say it's right and he'd say it's wrong, and so we'd try to prove each other.
Speaker 1: It was that sounds fun.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of fun. And Bob and Bob Trent, Robert Trent was there at the time, and he's genius, a genius, and uh so it was really wonderful to go through and learn from from Bob as well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's the thing about learning and passing down all that and I, you know, write everything's online now. It's so you know, I tell people learn, go talk to people if you can, you know, right.
Speaker 2: And people people, you know, it's it's it is a concern, you know, who's who's learning you know, for the next generation, who's teaching for the next generation? Where are people learning information? I mean, what are to of course still still there. When I was there, I asked such a classes and the conservation departments that I could, you know, see that side of it. And then when I was at Christie's I'd hang out with Alan Miller, the cabinet maker, and just you know, he'd show me about tool marks and we talk about you know, all sorts of things that we'd see there. So uh, I mean you have to ask. You need mentors, you know, going through life, whatever you whatever you do, having people that you can trust and that want to teach you and that are and want to share so that others learn. I mean there's some people that are like, oh, no, I'm not going to tell you anything. That's right.
Speaker 1: They think that their knowledge is power and the.
Speaker 2: Best, right, the best, uh, the best thing you can do is to share, because that's how things, that's how things, that's how you learn things. And I look at the early books Vincent Lockwood and Wallace Nun and people will go oh pooh, pooh pooh. No, somebody had to be out there first, yeah, you know, and look at the contributions they made and then others built on that, you know, and so it has has has been proven and others are like, yeah, what a great example. You know, so it's appreciating. But again it's that knowledge and uh, you know, having people who really know what they're looking at it. Yeah, yeah, I hope you hope it continues.
Speaker 1: I know, I wish you could download someone's brain sometimes and.
Speaker 2: Some of that I think about several people, you know, a number of people. I know. It's like I wish there was like like a download button. Yeah, you know, it's really great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So getting back to the influences, it just made me think of someone in particular. And I'm wondering if you even know the answer to this question. But you think of like an American eighteenth century cabinet maker that had his own, you know, design, And I think of Duncan Fife for instance, And I wonder if Duncan Fife ever influenced anyone in England to you know, design like him, because you do see the well a lot of times they're they're you know, George the third uh they call him, you know, a double pedestal bait tables that do have a similarity to Duncan Fife's design. But but I don't know, I don't know if that ever went that.
Speaker 2: Way, I would I would think more came over here. But again I'm not a five expert, so I wouldn't dare to make a proclamation in one way or the other. But I would I would tend to think that. Uh, I mean on Lanue also, I mean he was from the French perspective. He was also bringing designer over here. Yeah that I I as far as Fife. I mean I know I know his work, but I wouldn't be able to I don't know historically transfer and that's a time that's a little later than my specialty. And it's also in New York, which again isn't mine Wick but uh yeah, I mean the whole transfer and sharing of information and people. I actually taught a class out the Rizzy Road Doland School of Design years ago and I was I was Cheryl Robertson who was teaching the class would take me sabbatical chase, but I go in for her. So it was a history for Ensure class. And so you start with the Egypt Police. That's where I started and went you know to today and a lot to cover, no question, and uh these were these these students again no offense to students whosy, but uh, they had an attitude. It was a required course and they they felt that they knew everything and they just wanted to but they wanted to make And so as I do, las to teach also at the Boston Architicial Center which is now the Boston College, and that was different. Those were people who wanted to take the class. It was, you know, after ed whatever that's called actor, you know, continuing it, and so they wanted to be there. So it was a quite different. But I mean, so i'd go around, I'd ask you know what, what what are your interests? What do you want to get out of the class, blah blah, and they were all like, you know, they have the hats halfway down and uh, I said, well, I only care you want one kid said a students said, well, I only care about, you know, contemporary stuff. I said, well, we're getting to monitoring contemporary the last two classes, and before that you'll get an be able to see the context of where that came from, it that or center. He's like, well, I don't care about modern contemporary. And I said, well, those are the last two class and I kind of repeated myself and he said and he said to me, well, then those are the only classes I'm going to come to. And I said, and I said, then you're going to fail the course next But it was that attitude of I don't need to know anything else, which is total. I mean, I hope learned since then that context within anything, regardless of what you're talking about, is critical to understanding and if you're going to look at again design, what came before it. It's like anything. It's like history. You know, history, you know, repeats itself. Whether you want to accept that or not, it does. I'm the same exactly ways, but the same concepts, and so do design and so yeah, I mean everybody is sharing from everybody else, well, learning from everybody else and interpreting in their own putting their own swing on it. That's why even somebody who comes from England in the seventeenth century, you know, who makes this piece of furniture, He's going to introduce something locally, you know, the local craftsman is oh I saw. Because creative people they're always looking, you know, they're creative, and so they're always looking for new inspiration and the nature nature or you know what a competitors doing.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And yeah, I love that, and I do think it's very very important. You know, we have to pass the torch. And here's a you know, just a couple of thoughts on that, you know, I mean, we're only caregivers to what we have here just for the time we're here. And you know, I mean it's important that these things get passed on and good hands, caring hands, and I do have some fear of that. But I also I heard someone's perspective on why there's a little bit of separation and the way it used to be, and I think there's a lot of truth to it. And I'm just going to run it by you what this person told me. He basically used a Limos chocolate set. Let's just say, you know, it became in the seventies and eighties, all of a sudden, it became collectible and costly. But the reason it became collectible is because the person at the time remembered their grandmother serving them hot cocoa through this chocolate set. And now it's put in a cabinet, it's you know, it's expensive, you can't touch it, and so it loses that connection, the family connection and the ephemeral connection at the time when you're a child to look back to. So now the old saying, if it loses its story, it loses its value, you know, that type of thing. So so what do you think about that? I mean, do you think. And we also were in a place right now we click on something used to be where you had all these stories. I still have stories. I go to Facebook marketplace. I got this Spanish circle of old Master painting, you know, through Facebook. Terrible frame, I know, but anyway, so but I love the chase, and I think that's gone a lot when all you have to do is click on something and you're not, you know, running it down.
Speaker 2: I think in a lot of ways people are lacking in patience and because everything is just instant, Yeah, they can get it, so they don't want to take they don't want to wait, they don't want to wait, they aren't now, and I think that that's kind of a lost I'll call it an art and I'm not I'm not saying that it doesn't happen to me too, but I try to try to keep that in mind, that we appreciate, appreciate the process. We have third graders come through the museum every spring. That's pretty soon and one of the one of the sessions we have we have three different stations, and one of which is which is when I run. It's it's the then and now, and it's giving them opportunity to handle. Uh, you know, original material, even if it's the nineteen sixties. You know telephone dialogue, you know, wrot telephone. Uh. And I make the connection with the phone, and we start with the candlestick phone. We kind of work up and then with a start with a oh, I'm blank on the name of this stereograph.
Speaker 1: Yeah, put the.
Speaker 2: Cards in your eyes come together and you see the three image of three D and so I you start with those to those things and that can I work up to the president I merge them in an iPhone of to day. You know it has both so three D three D you know when you go to movie next and have three D glasses, think of this, but also the whole concept of the visual, the photographs and the and the phone with you phone. Uh so again but but and we also talk about we also have several cannibals. I talk about candle making and you know spoons that you know somebody obviously card on our own. The other one they bought from you know, a store from the you know, nineteenth or the twentieth century, and just talking about the process and how long things took. You couldn't just run this, you know a store and buy something you had to you know, you barred for, you made it, you you know whatever. And again it's that that patience and appreciation that things took time, they weren't instant and instantaneous. And that is something I think it's important to remind students about because they they don't know because everything is so instant. Wow, I want to ask I want something, to run to the store and get it, or I want order.
Speaker 1: Or Amazon it's here tomorrow whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I think that's something which with history, I think again taking a step back and appreciation is important, take a step back and appreciating, uh, things from the past, and uh that includes you know, using things from the past. Just that chest of drawers, open that every time and smell that great wood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're amazing to be used.
Speaker 2: And glass and suramester a little more iffy because they can break, but same token. There's so many sets of china out there now that you know you wouldn't want to break it, but you know, yeah, so you use it, appreciate it, be careful hand washing it, you know, break it, dropping the sink. But I think I think things as you say that the stories are what make an object important, even though, if you're going to go back to the auctions or dealers, you know, if you're just because George Washington sat in a chair doesn't make it a great looking chair. It could still be an ugly chair. And so just because you have that provenance doesn't mean it's going to sell for a lot of money. But it's nice story, So there's still a story connected to it, even if it's not worth a lot of money. So it doesn't have to work a lot of money to have a story. It can be a little trinket. I can have a fun story about my grandmother or grandfather or a cousin whatever, a golant uh you know, brought this from X y Z time or they made this or they played with this or whatever. It just makes it. The life is stories. That's what our lives are. That's what a museum does. They tell stories and their their history based of course, but it's the stories of people's lives, and a lot people's lives don't really the basic needs don't the basic needs don't change, and the situations don't really change on the broad scrip of things. But it's again those stories and what they you know, how their life was when you know, within the automobiles or whatever happens to be. I mean, uh, it's those stories that make make history so so interesting. It's so much fun and so relevant to our lives, you know today. And that's why if you're going to do history, you've got to be a storyteller. If you're gonna do if you're gonna sell you know, antiques, it's being a storyteller adds a lot to it. And it's like it's, you know, we all want to sit and listen to a good storyteller.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My brother, my younger brother, is an amazing storyteller. I don't know, I don't he has the you know, the personality, just tells great stories. I'm not in the same category more like, and this happened then and I still you know whatever, But it's still the stories right around. That's what we've enjoyed. We go to family dinner, we tell stories. You know. I was just a love hearing my uncle you know, tell stories about you know, X y Z.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's all the human connection. Yeah, I got to tell you the funny story that happened to me. I was out and when I was in California. It's a Walnut Creek. It's an area, and that I was at a garden club and doing an appraisal clinic for a benefit for the garden club. And there was a big line, and and they knew I was like the old antique type of guy, like I could do like the real antiques and then they'd have like the Martyr. And then so this woman came up to me and she says, there's a woman standing back in the back of the line, but I want to bring her right up to you because she has an eagle that belonged to George Washington. And so I'm kind of like chuckling, and I said, okay, all right. So so she comes, they bring up to the front of the line, and she unwraps this thing very carefully whatever and she puts out the most beautiful bellamy two foot eagle you could imagine. And I said, well, I got good news and bad news for you. I said, first of all, George Washington was dead for about one hundred and fifty years when this thing was carved. And but it was her family history, you know, you know how that can happen, like it came down through like George Washington might have stayed at their house one time or in their family or something whatever. But anyway, I said, you still have a very valuable eagle made in Kittery Point, Maine. And you know, I mean it was just it was really funny. But you hear these I love the stories, even though they're wrong. Here when people have these.
Speaker 2: Type of and sometimes it crushes there there them. But at the same token, it's the stories are George Haley Bellamy he was It's pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John yep, yep. So anyway, this is uh, and were you involved? Now I may have this wrong, but were you involved when they found his tools?
Speaker 2: I was involved? Did you say involved? I was? It was the same the course with a Porson of historical society.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, And it had something to do did have anything to do with Frost A gentleman named Frost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Frost, Yeah, rememorish. I'd totally forgotten about that. I remember seeing his tools in the in the second floor of the Historical at the time. Uh, And isn't this cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my dad had something to do with that years ago.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm trying to think when was that it was it was in that same general time frame or I was wrapping up things of rock in my thesis. It was all kind of the same time as I as I recall, that was pretty nifty. That was nifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that just for the listener, And that's just it's a real famous John Haley Bellamy, a very famous eagle carver. Uh start out the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, carving eagles there and carving other things to uh you know, uh bowsprits and things like that and and uh trans on boards and things. But I mean he was just an amazing carver, had his own style of eagle and it became very popular. And there's all kinds of very colorful person I did a I did a podcast. You can check back on this podcast. I did a podcast about that carver. I'm trying to remember the gentleman that put the book together. Oh yes, I just can't think of I can't. But anyway, Jim, Jim, there was.
Speaker 2: There was a and he was you know, he also number of things in Portsmate in the Traderal House for Ron Borgeaux used to have his auction yeah building, I believe it's now condos. The huge reproduction bell on the ego was on the front of that if anybody remembers the banners above the eagle's head and saying live for or die and all sorts of different things. Yeah, yeah, also made them. Also made them shelves, you know, the that would have Masonic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he made the shelves. He made the picture frames that George Boston used to paint paintings on. He made deer heads, He did all kinds of Yeah, he did all kinds of things. I've had a bunch of them over the years. But well, anyway, it's been such a pleasure to talk to you again. I don't know if he really made any progress here the state of antiques today, but it's uh, well, I.
Speaker 2: Think, I think, I think quickly. The one of the things that is a challenge that history isn't being taught the same way it was once taught in schools with all those standardized testing. You have, you know, math of sciences, but the arts, the arts and you know, his history, Civics just not taught it anymore. So if they're not in the same way with the same emphasis because of the standardized testing and the need to you know, for schools to rank, et cetera, so students aren't getting they're not learning the history that they should be learning. And so therefore, if you're not learning something, how can you be aware of it? So and it's like anything cultural, be it, you know, museums, symphony, ballet. If you're not being exposed to it, you're not going to know, and therefore you're not going to care. And that is a very serious issue with culture in general. If you don't know, then you're not going to care. So that's that's a that's why I love having you know, school kids come in here, you get you you like that sparking. You never know what it is that you're going to like that spark if they go to an option, you know, whatever it is something you they need. People need to be exposed and to to history, to culture because it's important. It makes us, It makes us a richer person, you know, having that, I mean having that exposure. So that's that's that's a really really important issue that I don't have an answer for other than figure out a way to get history back into schools and part of the curriculum. More so, younger people are exposed to it, so there is that interest. Otherwise it's just you know, they're going to fall into it. They're going to you know, some one way or the other. But it's it's more difficult, more challenging to to get younger people aware. So that's that's something which which I'm I would love to see more more focus on.
Speaker 1: I have when I have run into like at appraisal clinics and things like that, there's actually kids that are interested. I always ask them, Hey, how did you get you know, interested in a lot of times, Oh, I watch you know, uh shop for you know, American pickers or and one kid said, I love the antiques roadshow. I go really, I said, oh, that's so awesome, you know. I mean, so it's good that at least you know that that's out there. That's good exposure.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: But I love the hands on. I think the hands on is so important, you know. I mean you think of if if I never had the hands on, I wouldn't have had interest in this, you know.
Speaker 2: If I had not taken a class by John Kirk, who was furniture historian the Importunitius furniture collector of the Importunitia's house collector, et cetera, house restorer, et cetera, I would not have known there was a field to study furniture. I would have had no idea. I was an art history major. They don't, I mean, our history classes, they really need to introduce furniture, reductive arts because art doesn't hang on a wall by itself in space. They're usually architecture classes that they don't teach decorative our furnature classes. And I was very fortunate there was a program an artistry artistanery also at BEU at the time where John was, and he taught us one semester to semester class on the history of furniture, and the p I A kids were there too, so I got the people making the stuff and I got him talking about the stuff, and it just lit the spark. I was like, oh my gosh. Again it was that exposure, that opportunity, and it changed my trajectory entirely to that was that that Again, it's about the opportunity and so regardless of how you find it, but the you know, the more exposure to classes or TV shows, stars or whatever, pond stars, yeah, pickers, America, pickers, whatever, they're they're important.
Speaker 1: Right right, Well, thanks so much. You're such a positive thing to the antiques world.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm that and I'm tangential at this point and it's a very but still it's it's uh, it's it's about getting people involved in families also, people of all ages, you know, into the museum for different programs and and and connecting them with how fun history is. And we have one of the most important archives in New England. It's incredible. It goes back in sixteen thirties and you just go down these rabbit holes, you know. It's it's so many layers. It's just fascinating. So history is a great thing, it really is. Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I've been looking at reading a book on Dutch Manhattan and boy is that really interesting? Really interesting? How that I'll start it. But anyway, thank you so much. A real pleasure is always to talk to you.
Speaker 2: I hope to see you before ten other ten years.
Speaker 1: That's right, Okay, take care of right.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Maron