Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. All this indecency training just makes me want to say bad words, very bad, very bad words. Here's some good news for you. This year's met Gala will spotlight men'swear. The Metropolitan Museum of Art announced the theme for the annual fashion event will be tailored for you.
Speaker 2: Me or.
Speaker 1: Just men'swear.
Speaker 2: Did you hear about Benedict Cumberbatch?
Speaker 1: No? Is he the one that plays a woman in that one movie?
Speaker 2: No, you're thinking of the other guy. You're thinking any read me?
Speaker 1: I get those two mixed up.
Speaker 2: But Benedict Cumberbatch was in Zoolander two, not the original, but he was in the He was in the sequel, Thanks So Too. He played a non binary fashion model whose name was.
Speaker 1: Do you see what I'm saying? Why I get them mixed up?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 1: Do you see why I get them mixed up? Because they both appear to be able to play women?
Speaker 2: No, I said non binary.
Speaker 1: I don't know, so to me that means something different. Is that wrong?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes? It was an awful listen. It was an awful flop, but speaking to Variety magazine, Benedict Cumberbatch said, I've had to apologize for that quite a lot. In this era, my role would never be performed by anybody other than a transactor.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. So non but I'm saying the reason I mix up cumber Bunch cumber Batch and Eddie Redmain is because Eddie Redmain played the woman and I see Benedict Benedict cumber Batch, and I think he could play a woman, and he did, and.
Speaker 2: He does not play a woman.
Speaker 1: Mean, what does that mean? What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Doesn't fit one zero or the one or this z?
Speaker 1: It could be a in some people's eyes. No, no, androgynous? Is that okay?
Speaker 2: That would be the outer qualities?
Speaker 1: Do you see what I'm getting at Why I mix up the two? Yes, they both are underweight as well. Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Eddie Redmain I think is appropriately weighted. I think they're both probably appropriately appropriately weighted. Their mass would match their I think, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I just like fat dudes, you know.
Speaker 2: Maybe you like them beefier than benterdict humper bump. I like to outweigh my men. Have you ever dated I think you mean the other way around.
Speaker 1: No, yuh no, yeah, no, I mean I like them to wag more. That's what I didn't mean the other way around. Like I've never I never went out with anyone.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I'm on a hike, I like them to just to jump on my back and we could just get home in time for kickoff. I like to outweigh my men.
Speaker 1: That's funny. And I said it was such seriousness, seriousness.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I tried to save you.
Speaker 1: So great, that's so great. I don't think I ever waded somebody who is smaller than.
Speaker 2: Me than your man.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I'm also a very small person.
Speaker 2: Oh that's hard for you, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It is? You mean short? Yeah, you're not very short. I'm pretty sure you're sure you like Deborah's very small. Yeah, that is true.
Speaker 2: Do you like to outweigh your men?
Speaker 1: Could you imagine? Could you imagine? It'd be like a jockey.
Speaker 2: It'd be like you're dating a nine year old?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh my god, that would be like Kelly Rippa outweighing her man. Debrah, Deborah and Kelly Ripa dating nine year old.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's enough.
Speaker 1: Eddie Redmain looks very slight.
Speaker 2: I didn't say he's huge, but you're right. Maybe you like him fatter. It's time for a swamp watch. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm here.
Speaker 1: We got the real problem is that our leaders are dumb. The other side never quits, so anywhere that could be either.
Speaker 2: I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They're not stupid. A political plunder is when a politician actually tells the truth. Have the people voted for you were not swamp watch, They're all countered. That's why he played the woman.
Speaker 1: But non binary.
Speaker 2: Eddie Redmain played a woman.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking the other one. Okay, let me pull up him. It was it Zoolander two. Yes, uh oh, he does look much more uh like rogen is a man. Eddie Redmain looks like he could easily play a woman. He's got that bone structure. Benedict cumber Batch has more of a male. It's a jaw. It's a strong jaw. Probably so.
Speaker 2: Today in Washington, DC, we saw RFK Junior make his way out of committee. This was the Senate Senate Finance Committee.
Speaker 1: It's chairman of the Fountau was fourteen eyes thirteen nays.
Speaker 2: The boat was fourteen thirteen.
Speaker 3: The nomination is reported favorably.
Speaker 2: It looks like the final decision by the Senate the full Senate will be sometime next week as to whether or not Kennedy will become the Secretary of Health and Human Services. One of the big questions at the committee levels whether or not Bill Cassidy was going to pass him, and he did. Bill Cassidy himself is a medical doctor and had expressed some concern about what he said were rfk's views on vaccinations, but eventually decided to go ahead and forward him to the full Senate. Doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to vote to confirm him in the full Senate, but it's better than nothing. Tulci Gabbard confirmation vote is coming through the Intelligence Committee later on today. There are a couple of Senators Todd Young out of Indiana Susan Collins out of Maine, who had been up in the air about Tulsea Gabbard. They have said that they would vote to confirm her, at least to send the nomination onto the full Senate floor. The Trump administration is apparently drafted an executive order to initiate the elimination of the Department of Education. This move would come in two parts. Sources have told CNN that the order would direct the Secretary of Education to create a plan to diminish the department through executive action, and then Trump would supposedly push for Congress to pass legislation to finish off the Department of Education altogether. Those working on the orders said that shuttering the department would require congressional approval to do so. This year, education Department is being targeted by the Department of Government Efficiency as well, led by Elon Musk, and already dozens of people at the Education Department have been placed on administrative leave as part of their effort to rid the federal workforce of employees that are associated with the DEI and accessibility efforts, and he repeatedly pointed to Trump did the Department of Education is one of those signs of federal overreach and said that it was dealing too much with culture issues and not enough with furthering education for our kids the way that it's originally designed. About twenty thousand federal workers have already accepted the buyout offer that was put forward by the Trump administration. Last week a significant number of people, about one percent of the federal workforce, but still less than the White House's target of somewhere between five and ten percent. And that offer, by the way, is up through Thursday, meaning the total could eventually rise, despite the fact that it's being opposed by unions and a bunch of others as well. Just an update on yet another anti immigration, anti immigrant, anti immigration crackdown protests. That's the word I'm looking for. A bunch of students apparently from Bravo Medical Magnet High School and Boyle Heights have made their way through the downtown area. They've been sort of in that olvera street area. There's a park there, the Plaza de Los Angeles, I believe it's called the Bravo Medical Magnet High School in Boyle Heights. Bunch of those kids have walked out of school and are protesting immigration crackdown.
Speaker 1: Laped says it's very peaceful. Everything is copasetic at this point. Speaking of cash, calm is returning to Wall Street tech stocks, leading US indexes after much of Europe and Asia rose earlier in the day. This is a day after worries that Trump's tariffs could spark a trade war that would hurt economies across the world. The dowros forty six Nasdaq climbed one point one. Of course, there has been an agreement to delay tariffs on Canada and Mexico for a month, but they are pressing ahead against China as well, as we have been reporting. Another effect of tariffs is the Kentucky bourbon situation. Kentucky bourbon producers, they say, find themselves again in the crosshairs is a target for retaliation after Trump's tariffs on Canada and Mexico. The lack of a financial resolution has left some elected leaders in industry officials concerned about Kentucky bourbon. That American whiskey exports slumped amid an earlier trade dispute during Trump's first term. So apparently we outsource a lot of the bourbon to Canada and Mexico.
Speaker 2: Is that exported?
Speaker 1: Is that what I'm hearing.
Speaker 2: Sounds like it? Well, and I know that in the Canadian run liquor stores, their government runs their liquor stores, they were pulling American liquor off the shelves and replacing them with signs that said by Canadian Wow. But that supposedly that has gone away, but they were doing that on Monday, Sunday and into Monday's opening because they were afraid that the terrorists are going to be put in place.
Speaker 1: What is the difference between Canadian liquor and American liquor? Is there a difference? Is there is a Canadian just like kisses and you know ten per.
Speaker 2: Something very strong.
Speaker 1: Moose notes, moose notes in there, grass and tundra, lots of tundra.
Speaker 2: El Salvador has agreed to house of violent criminals and receive deportees of any nationality. This came out of a deal that Marco Rubio helped broker. Apparently Tom Holman is the borders are?
Speaker 3: I think it's great. On the President Trump's first administration, they wouldn't take back then as thirteen members. And when I told President Trump that, it took President Trump forty eight hours until we're filling planes for levemas thirteen members in sentiment in the South, we got a strong president and alf Salvador has got a great president. They pretty much knocked MS thirteen off their feet in the country of alf Salvador. He's put tens of thousand of them in his prisons and he's willing to take the ones we arrest here. He's willing to take a lot of criminal alilies that we rest here. So great partnership so far with the President of Alvis Salvador. Great, great, great partnership.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, not just El Salvadoran immigrants to the United States, not just the criminal El salvador In immigrants the United States, but our criminals born and bred. They're willing to take them and house them in some of their prisons and apparently become a prison industry down there at El Salvador.
Speaker 1: Doesn't sound like club fed, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Oh it's some of those I mean they are I can't even crammed in there like sardines.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden is coming to Hollywood. The Creative Artists Agency will represent him of Century City. They already rep Barack and Michelle Obama and their production company.
Speaker 2: He's he's back technically with CA. I guess after he left the White House the first time, or Vice President's Office the first time he signed with CIA. They published his book called Promise Me Dad, in which he talks about Bo's, his son, Bo's fight with cancer.
Speaker 1: Is there a market for Joe Biden to go out on speaking tours and things.
Speaker 2: Yes, really yeah? Is there at a big market for it? I don't think so. Are people willing to pay a lot of money?
Speaker 1: Because even if I'm a Joe Biden champion for Joe Biden, and I appreciate him, and I love the Democratic Party and all these things, I still would feel uneasy and uncomfortable watching him speak because we have seen the cognitive decline there.
Speaker 2: Would you interer him for months? No, if they called him up, called us up, and they said, hey, former President Biden is available for interviews, he's going to be He's going to be at the w I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't. I just feel like it's it's rude. I mean, this was somebody who, like I said, maybe not a great orator, not like a Bill Clinton or a Barack Obama, but somebody really spend a lot of time doing the people's work in Washington, senator who reached across the aisle. I totally liked the Joe Biden who was like, this is a big f and deal. Joe Biden. I don't know if you should have ever been elevated to the presidency, but he did put in his time as a civil servant there in Washington, and and you know has a legacy, whatever that means to you. I feel like when people are running to him now with microphones, it's just it's gross. To me, it's gratuitous, it's it's elder abuse. But I will say that, why would you want to be remembered fumbling through things when you had great moments in Washington.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen him since Inauguration Day. I mean, he was annoyed vacation here in California. I don't know if he's still here. I don't know what they're.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've said, notice some interviews. We've cut off some interviews on this show when we thought that people were going through some things. I wouldn't put on someone on the air just to have them on the air to look stupid or sound stupid, or sound unhinged or like they're in the throes of dementia.
Speaker 2: I just want to do that, not even for a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: No, No, okay, you do that on a day when I'm gone. If you want to be a mean person, all right, I feel like I have to open the door because it is the Donner party in here.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make sense why somebody, it's cold in here. It's cold in this studio. There's not a lot of equipment in the studio, which is usually why radio studios are cold. There's not that much stuff in here. It's cold in here. It's always cold in here. Our our hands are always freezing. I have circulatory issues now as a result of this. So then we leave the door open and thinking, maybe it's not cold outside out there.
Speaker 1: People have opined that that's our issue.
Speaker 2: That's the reason it's colder. That is not the reason.
Speaker 1: Close the entire time, and it's it's frozen. It is a frozen tundra. It is lambeau Field here in Burbank. Category is let's watch some video games. Video six, the third episode of this HBO series based on a game, told the post apocalyptic love story of Bill and Frank.
Speaker 2: Yeah watch this, but I think it's post apocalyptic. Uh not all of us?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 2: No, all of us? The end of us?
Speaker 1: What the end of us? Oh that I didn't know that sounded the last of us, the last the last of us. Okay, I screwed it up. I just read that too literally love, So he was like.
Speaker 2: No, scruting Now the actual word and I was like all of us, none of us.
Speaker 1: See, She's like, you guys screw around with every single thing I prepare for you. This is written out, and you still screw it up, is what her tongue said to me.
Speaker 2: We got word out of DC. The Senate Intelligence Committee has advanced Tulsi Gabbert's nomination to become the next DNI Director of National Intelligence, putting her in position to get confirmed by the full Senate. Few key senators through their support behind her. It was a nine to eight vote yes. It was a long party line surprise. She's just a few days away now from being considered on the Senate floor after this process. The big two that swung to her support would have been Todd Young, the Republican out of Indiana, and Susan Collins out of Maine. Both people had said in the past they were not sure that they would vote to confirm her. But again, Tulsi Gabbard has been advanced out of the Intelligence Committee and will now go before the full Senate for confirmation for Director of National Intelligence.
Speaker 1: Did you want to talk about spare bedrooms?
Speaker 2: Did I? This woman named Denise teaching in main public schools more than three decades, preparing to leave her career for what would likely be a lower paying job, navigating some other life changes. At the end of a twenty eight year marriage which had fallen apart, she downsized from a house to a condo. One of her kids, her last kid, as a matter of fact, was moving out. So she listened to news and she learned about a service called Nesterly, an online platform that matches older homeowners with younger renters seeking affordable housing.
Speaker 1: I can see where this would work for some people. Keeps you young, brings in some much needed extra income. It's not as expensive for the young person to get an apartment. It would just have to be a very symbiazy like. You would have to have an extensive process of interview in terms of hours you keep criminal history, especially if.
Speaker 2: You're in a smaller home. She's in a condo and she's sharing a she's sharing a room.
Speaker 1: You got to have at least a you know, two level with the bathroom. The bathroom situation, you'd have to have two or three bathrooms. Ow desperate you are, You're not going to share a bathroom. You say that out of your privilege, Yes, you didn't. You wouldn't want to share a bathroom now, But depends on what I mean. Listen, when you were twenty, you shared a bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't ever want to go back there. I'm not saying that you wanted to do. I'm just saying there are times in our life with that.
Speaker 1: I shared a bathroom with another female who is twenty. Well, you wasn't a challenge. You could make that one of the conditions, Like I'm not going to share a bathroom with a man.
Speaker 2: A man, but that was awful. If my wife and I did this, right, if we had to up or wanted to open up our room that and rent it out to somebody like that, we would both have to have the mutual veto power. Right. Yes, Uh, is that what you that's what you mean.
Speaker 1: No, I mean the person who's renting out the room has to do an extensive interviewer process with the person who wants to live there in terms of what hours you keep and all of that thing, Like, it's got to be it's got to be more extensive than if you did not live at the property.
Speaker 2: Here's the one thing.
Speaker 1: There have to be some commonalities in terms of how you live true with the stranger.
Speaker 2: They can't have cats for one thing.
Speaker 1: They cannot know cats or dogs if you're not a dog or.
Speaker 2: Dogs, because I already got one, there's plenty there. We're full of animals in this house.
Speaker 1: What if they had a bird, a cockatoo.
Speaker 2: My dog would kill it.
Speaker 1: No, it's in a cage.
Speaker 2: He would do everything he could.
Speaker 1: Your dog can't reach it. Your dog can't reach the bowl. Like here's dogs sneakier.
Speaker 2: Than you think. And he would find a way to put that cage on the ground and then kill the bird.
Speaker 1: I don't think I think you think that dog. There's more to the dog than there is. There's a part of this that I really like. I'm going to bring a bird over and see if it kills it.
Speaker 2: I think there's a story here, and I don't know how true it is or how likely it would be. But if you're a twenty year old and you're living with fifty year olds, there's a certain amount of life lessons that you can learn from somebody who's older than you.
Speaker 1: Sure, and there's a certain amount of loneliness that goes away for older people that runt out rooms. I mean, I've heard that story many times from older people that are lonely for whatever reason, and it's nice to have somebody there.
Speaker 2: Home sharing programs, whether it's an app like this, Nesterly program or something like that, said that they actively encourage cross generational connections when it comes to housing like this.
Speaker 1: It really can learn a lot. And you know what older people can learn from younger people too. Sure in turn, they fix my phone. Hey, what does non binary mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Five rocket launches around the world they're talking about. SpaceX launched a bunch of Starlink satellites this morning. Blue Origin is hoping to send up an uncrewed research capsule. New Zealand Space Company has a launch, the Russians have a launch, and then SpaceX again has a second launch from Florida's Kennedy Space Center later today, So five in one day.
Speaker 1: At least twenty thousand federal employees are accepting Trump's buyout offer. Workers will still have until February sixth to accept the office what is that Thursday to resign still be paid through September. Resignations are reportedly expected to increase right as the deadline hits. Those twenty thousand workers amount to about one percent of the federal workforce. The Trump administration offered employees the buyout ahead of return to office requirements as part of an effort to make room and shrink the workforce. So let me get this right, If you don't want to return to the office, you are offered the buyout. But if you do, if you are okay with returning to the office, then you can return to the office.
Speaker 2: That's what we do now.
Speaker 1: Well, I get it that some people, sorry I got to stretch here. Oh sorry, that was unnecessary to say out loud. I get it that some people, during the pandemic and this whole working from home movement moved away from where they were working in the office.
Speaker 2: Right, so the commute is no longer an option.
Speaker 1: Right, So I understand that for a segment of the population that they made life choices. But you know, you also kind of have to think about when the pandemic hit. Yeah, sure everyone was working from home or most people were working from home, but that it would end at some point. So like if I was working in LA and I could go to Boise and do the show from there, sure I would realize probably that eventually I have to move back to LA to do the show.
Speaker 2: But we're big dumb animals, and when you start a habit, it's hard to break that habit, especially if the habit tends to be easier than what you were doing previously. Yeah, I don't like sitting in traffic for thirty minutes each way, but that's only thirty minutes. That's not that bad, right, right. But the idea of people like I get to get up in my slippers and I could wear sounds great. I do love working from home like it's a fun time. It is a great it is a great perk. But that's just not the way things work. And some people would say, well, why not, it's been working wow, And listen, for some people in some job, it is it is the absolute best way to do it. Yeah, that's true, but don't be so naive that your job is the right one. I think, just because it's been working out so far, I think I.
Speaker 1: Have more friends that still work from home than don't because they have real job, sales and the like.
Speaker 2: You have a bunch of lazy friends.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're very good at what they do, they hit all their goals, but they still work from home and they I think they're no worse for.
Speaker 2: Wear and listen. Like I said, in some places, in some industries and some jobs specifically, that's going to be the way to do it.
Speaker 1: I like having somewhere to go.
Speaker 2: It's important. I feel it's important to have somewhere to go.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine less of it would look like, well.
Speaker 2: There's less of.
Speaker 1: What's the word, there's less of a confusion. Yes, I was very confused. I just spit across the table, which I'm able to do.
Speaker 2: Make it over here, thankfully.
Speaker 1: I would do I would do it a lot more if I was at home, but I was the one week I worked from home because I was forced to. It was very confusing just going to the kitchen and making food because I had the COVID. Oh that's right, And I was just going to come into work anyway, spread it to you because you were the only one I could spread it to, and you didn't care.
Speaker 2: Nobody else here.
Speaker 1: There was nobody else here, but anyway, Yeah, it was very odd. It was like I'm doing laundry, but I'm at work. I'm in the middle of the show, and I'm putting in a load of laundry, Like I'm making chicken and I'm in them in swamp watch like. It was very confusing to me.
Speaker 2: The other big story was that hundreds of people have been fleeing the island of Santorini. Ferries and planes that were leaving that area of Greece were full today Because we told you yesterday the Greek tourist island has been the series of dozens of earthquakes. In the last day or two. Some hotels started emptying their pools because they were told that the water load made buildings vulnerable. Construction activities have ceased all over that island of Santorini. Hundreds of earthquakes registered, very few every few minutes, I should say, between in the sea between the islands of Santerini to Moregos.
Speaker 1: Why would you need a pool when the caldera is right there you can just hop in.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means, because I've never been to Santorini.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what a caldera is formed by a volcano? Hot water, Oh, the hot Wiman's water. But if it's warmed by a volcano, well, many many, many many moons ago.
Speaker 2: This is the kind of stuff that you're missing if you don't listen to the entire show on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Is that right, Yeah, would you say we've been missing it.
Speaker 2: Missing at all, that whole part where you're like, oh, I got a stretch all. You can find the podcast am sixty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, or anywhere you find your favorite podcast. Just search Gary and Shannon Guy. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app