Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike c Ylson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge and a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing edge imication. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our super talented guests and hear all about what beautiful causes they are playing for, and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some questions and answers with our first of four rounds today. It is always our General Knowledge round. The round one General Knowledge thinking caps on YouTube, hancils at the ready, and away we go. There are eight questions in the General Knowledge Round. Here is question number one. The song cult of Personality was a huge hit song back in nineteen eighty eight for this band that sounds very similar to a TV sketch show. Do you remember this song, cult of Personality? Late eighties? Ask not what your country can do for you exactly? Cult of Personality was a huge hit song back in eighty eight for this band that sounds very similar to a TV sketch show. I had this cassette in my Sony Walkman, and for about three months I would just listen to that song, rewind it, and play it again to and from middle school for a few months. That was my theme song for a few months ago. The whole album rips personality. It's such a great album, such a great such a great album. For number one, how are we feeling? After one question?
Speaker 1: I've never felt better in my life.
Speaker 3: I'm already at a deficit.
Speaker 1: All right, class of eighty eight, I should I should mention better know this because.
Speaker 3: All right, I mean I wrote something down. Okay, let's be clear.
Speaker 2: You're a good guesser, Irene. I can feel it in my bones.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Question number two. We're getting a little political here. We're gonna do some government type stuff here. Can you name three of the four most recent Speakers of the House, the Speaker of the House of Representatives. Can you name three of the four last or most recent Speakers of the House. Last names will suffice. You don't need all four, but if you can give me three of four, you'll get the point for question number two.
Speaker 1: Feeling okay, yeah, fantastic, all right.
Speaker 2: Question number three, moving right along, What airline has used the frame want to get away in their advertising? Question number three? What airline has used the phrase want to get away in their advertising campaigns of late? For question number three?
Speaker 3: I got that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you better give that one. It's quantus. It's not it is not. No, all right, Question number four. Let's do a little literature. Michael Chabon's twenty or two thousand Pulitzer Prize winning novel was titled The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Blank fill in the blank. I'm rereading it at the moment. Michael Schabon, who wrote Wonder Boys and a bunch of other great books, His two thousand Pulitzer Prize winning novel was titled The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Blank. Fill in that blank for me for number four.
Speaker 1: I have read the first third of that book half a dozen times. It's just one of those that for whatever you I can't, I can't.
Speaker 3: You can't finish it.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's not a little book. It's a big book. So yeah, it's I think it's about six hundred pages, so those are always like yeah, if it doesn't you're not motoring through it. You can get like in that slog in the middle, like ugh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Left, it sounds great if you're describing it as a slog.
Speaker 2: No, I love it. When I when I first read it was a time when I was not reading much at all. It was kind of like, eh, post college, I'm like, I don't want to read any and then I read that book and was like I loved it.
Speaker 3: So yeow cool, all right, all right.
Speaker 2: We're on the back half of the general knowledge round with question number five. Here we go, What city in Georgia has the nickname America's Most Haunted City? Found that to be quite interesting question number five, What city in Georgia has the nickname America's Most Haunted City? Since we're getting close to Halloween, Yes, are you guys dressing up? Do you have costume ideas?
Speaker 3: No? No, I don't like wearing costume. I don't like getting dressed up fittings and stuff like that, And so like the idea of like wearing a costume somewhere, I'm like, no, I don't do that.
Speaker 2: If you if you get to play dress up sometimes in your life. It's not as like cool or interesting.
Speaker 3: But I don't like trying on clothes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't want any makeup on my face. I'm definitely doing that.
Speaker 3: I don't want to wear anything on my head.
Speaker 1: I do kind of want to. I want to go back to my youth of like getting a three dollars the plastic costume and the rug store.
Speaker 3: It just tied like tied back here behind your neck and like around your waist and you're done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you were a C three po, you'd have like a C three po face held on by the slimmest of rubber bands and had a poncho that had a fresco of scenes of C three po. Yeah. I would love to get back to something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you're in the Midwest, all of that's over a huge winter coat. Yeah the best, Like mom, I can't wear my coat, it's gonna ruin my outfit. Yeah yeah, yeah, all right, where are we? Question number six? Question number six of eight. What actress can you find in the following films? All about my Mother, all the Pretty Horses and blow same actress and all of these three films For question number six, All about my Mother, all the pretty horses and blow name that actress for number six.
Speaker 1: Got it feeling good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel pretty good about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's talk about the weather for your penultimate question in the General Knowledge round, question number seven, create.
Speaker 1: Correct uses of the penultimate there, Yes.
Speaker 2: Sleet occurs mostly during what season? Sleet occurs mostly in what season? For question number seven.
Speaker 3: So there's four choices for that answer.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. You got a chance to pick the right one again. I've talked about this in the past. When it's like a true false or a fifty to fifty, I pick wrong. I think about ninety percent of the time.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really bad at it? All right? I had to do I think one. There might be one. There might be two in this entire game. But it's kind of a sports question, not your wheelhouse, but we're doing a sports question. For number eight, what what Green Bay Packers legendary coach has a last name that is similar to a region of northern Italy? For question number eight, Question number eight, what legendary Green Bay Packers coach has a last name that is similar to a region of northern Italy. I'm feeling good about the General Knowledge round, all right, pencils down. We will go over your answers in a few moments, but it's time to meet our spectacular guests all the way from Saint Louis Moe. He's a writer for Esquire and he's done these incredible podcasts. He did one called Waiting for Impact. He's got a new one called Who Killed The video starts the story of MTV. My good pal Dave Holmes.
Speaker 1: Is here nowson.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. Ah, it's a pleasure. You can follow mister Holmes on social media at Dave Holmes.
Speaker 1: D not on I mean, I'm still on Twitter, but let's not Yeah, you know what I mean, Let's find other places to take it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I think everyone's getting ready to pull the cord on that one. Yeah, Dave, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 1: I am playing for a nonprofit called the Beta Cell Foundation, which is an organization that creates community and shares information around type one diabetes. Sign Type one diabetic myself, and one of the hardest things about it, especially if you're diagnosed in adulthood as I was, is to you know, figure out how you're going to live your life moving forward. And there's not a whole lot of sources of information, and there's weird stigma around it and through community, including the guy who's started the Beta Cell Foundation. I have learned a lot and become a much healthier person. So it's a good organization, beautiful thing. Well, we're happy to make a donation in your name, win or lose to the Beta But I'm gonna win tell foundation.
Speaker 2: But he's going to win. He's talking shit already.
Speaker 3: He is. He was texting me earlier today. Earlier today, he was texting me that he's going to destroy.
Speaker 2: Me, texting shit talk pre game, pregame shit talk, which we love here on the show, your opponent, let's talk about her. She's from Austin, Texas.
Speaker 3: Loooo horns, hookeem horns.
Speaker 2: Weocom horns is right, my little bro moved there not too we Ago loves it. You saw her on six seasons of that great sitcom super Store. She recently appeared on another great show, Ghosts, where we've had a person or two from Ghosts on our show. And she's currently a student in the directing program at UCLA Extension. What aren't you doing? Plus she's in a million commercials. My dear friend Irene White is here.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm so happy to be here, Mike. I'm serious, this is really really fun. I'm already having a great time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is with with the two you were. We're going to have a good time here. You can follow miss White on the social media's at the Irene White. Irene, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 3: I am playing for the Entertainment Community Fund, which used to be called the Actors Fund, and they are a service organization that supports a life in the arts and they do that through emergency financial assistance for artists, affordable housing, and they particularly help with senior care for artists, which is something that is closer to me than it was yesterday or ten years ago. It's something I'm thinking about. So that's what I'm playing for sure.
Speaker 2: It's a great fund. And yeah, with the last year, with the double strikes and the pandemic, those community funds for all artists and crew members and anybody that's in the industry could benefit from it. So again, great cause. We're happy to make a donation in your name to the Entertainment Community Fund. You know the kick Cass charities were playing for. You know, these competitors now It's time to get down to breast tacks and go over our answers for very fun General Knowledge Round. Question number one in the round was Cults of Personality was a huge hit song back in nineteen eighty eight for this band That sounds very similar to a great TV sketch show, Dave, what do you got for number one?
Speaker 1: Living Color?
Speaker 2: Living Color? Irene, what did you put for number one?
Speaker 3: I have the same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we are one for one. You're both off the schneid after one clue it is Listen.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have known that if you hadn't given me the sketch reference.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I'm glad. I'm glad that works. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fridays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was there a band called Fridays? No, there has to be. I'm sure Sundays. Yeah, there's got to be a ton of bands. That's where like Sundays is taken.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Living Color was your answer for number one? You nailed it. Question number two? Can you name three of the foremost recent speakers of these Irene? Start us off for number two?
Speaker 3: Okay, I have Mike Johnson, Nancy Pelosi, and Mitch McConnell.
Speaker 2: Great guesses, Dave, what did you put for number two.
Speaker 1: I have Mike Johnson, Nancy Pelosi, and Kevin McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Holy cow, here are your four. We have Mike Johnson, and before him, we had Kevin McCarthy, and before him we had Nancy Pelosi, and then before her we've already forgotten about Paul Ryan.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, So I didn't get it right. You were So that's okay, that's all right. I feel I feel okay about that.
Speaker 2: You got two out of three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I didn't get points. I didn't get the points.
Speaker 2: Got to give it to mister Holmes.
Speaker 1: I was always shamefully low key attracted to Paul Ryan.
Speaker 2: It was that picture that he took when he was like pumping iron in his.
Speaker 1: Actually he lost. It was just that turned me off. Now it's just it's the dark hair and blue eyes combo. It even works if you're Paul.
Speaker 2: Ryan, even Paul Ryan, that is your kryptnight. Yeah. And I think before Paul Ryan, I think we had John Bayner, the guy that would cry if he just mentioned children. Yeah yeah, but those are your speakers of the House of recent past. Question number three. What airline has used the phrase want to get away in their advertising Dave.
Speaker 1: I said south Worst am I right?
Speaker 2: Boom, suck it? What did you put?
Speaker 3: It's Southwest Airlines because that's what you applied to Texas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that's right, that's where I got it starts Southwest Airlines Dallas. Yeah. Feeling good? All right? You guys are rocking and rolling. Size of relief left and right? All right? Question number four. Michael Shaban's two thousand pool a surprise winning novel, was titled The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Blank Irene. What did you put?
Speaker 3: I put Clay Clay.
Speaker 2: Question mark, Dave, the book you can't get through? What is it?
Speaker 1: I said, Clay? I think of the sea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cavalier is spelled with a K, but Clay is spelled with a C. So it is The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay. For number four, Question number five, what city in Georgia has the nickname America's Most Haunted City? Dave?
Speaker 1: I didn't know, so I said Savannah, Savannah, it was haunted, yess Irene.
Speaker 2: What did you put?
Speaker 3: I did also put Savannah. Oh, and I will give you a backstory on that in a moment, But let's hear what the answer.
Speaker 2: Is Well, the answer is Macon. Just kidding that city is not haunted. It's savannahvah. That's your correct answer. All right, Irene, what's your story?
Speaker 3: The Real Housewives of Atlanta go to Macon, I'm sorry, go to Macon, go to Savannah on a trip because one of them is going through funeral homeschool. This is several years ago, and they go there because it's so haunted, and they stay in a haunted house. And that's how I knew the answer.
Speaker 2: Fucker, Reality TV helped out at least once in all of humankind. That's right, we'll take it. So it is Savannah, Georgia is the most haunted city in America. That's its nickname. Question number six, what actress can you find in the following films? All about My Mother, all the pretty horses and blow this White? Penelope Cruise, Penelope Cruz, Dave Holmes, Penelope Cruz. God, you guys are just making a mockery of this game. You're kicking well.
Speaker 3: I didn't know, Paul Ryan. I didn't know, Paul Ryan.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it's okay. Question number seven was your weather question? Sleet occurs mostly during what season? Dave Well? I said winter winter, Great guests, Irene, do you agree?
Speaker 3: I said spring?
Speaker 2: Said spring, So it's frozen rain. So it's like, what's the difference between sleet and hale? And I guess it develops different different places in the clouds where sleet and hale develops. But yeah, you find hale in spring, summer, and fall, which means that sleet comes in winter.
Speaker 1: Oh god, damn, it is too obvious, Mike, Yeah, it seems too obvious.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a trick question.
Speaker 1: Thought so too, But then I was like, Mike is too honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to do such a thing would not be that evil question. Number Well, Green Bay Packers legendary coach has a last name that is similar to a region of northern Italy.
Speaker 3: Irene berry Bowl and asy, yeah.
Speaker 2: A manga, Dave, what did you put?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I wrote down to Okay. I originally wrote down Joe Patno, which sounds a little like Palermo. But then I was like, a more famous coach and I don't know what team he coached is Vince Lombardi. And maybe there's a Lombardi region, Oh Lombard.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is Vince Lombardi. The Lombardi region.
Speaker 3: That's actually just.
Speaker 2: Ye creativity wise, which I can't give out points for just being fucking hilarious.
Speaker 3: That's I knew I didn't get it right.
Speaker 2: Dave? Did you get a perfect? Did you? Did you get all of them right? Dave?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: He did?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: That is beautiful.
Speaker 3: He texted me earlier that he was going to destroy me and so fun.
Speaker 1: I told you, Irene, I told you, and you showed up anyways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what if I just didn't show up?
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah, you're like, I'm his smack tuck work showing up. So we have tally the scores after an impressive round one for the both of you, Irene White with five and Dave Holmes with a perfect score with eight eight five after one, still anyone's game as we enter around two.
Speaker 3: Four Round two pop Culture grab Bag.
Speaker 2: Today in the grab Bag, we have a TV round and more specifically, we're gonna do a round all about TV title pairs. I'm gonna give you some random clues. Sometimes they'll be characters names or actresses names, or settings or props or something. You got to figure out what the hell show I am talking about? For these TV title pairs. There are eight questions in this round. Here's question number one. Let's ease into it. Jenna Elfman and Thomas Gibson. Name that show with TV title pairs. For number one, I'll.
Speaker 1: Tell you I saw it out of the corner of my eye. Reen. We both heard the word Jenna, and we dove right down to our little peat.
Speaker 2: Dad. Gosh, yes, so excited.
Speaker 3: I have a story about that when we get there.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh wow, Jesus, you got a story for everything, don't.
Speaker 3: Jee It was my first TV credit?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Really yeah, that's awesome. All right, we'll talk about that when well the answer all right, Question number two, let's ratchet it up a little bit. A Ford Grand Torino, Huggy Bear and a kick ass seventies theme song. Name that TV show. A Ford Grand Torino, huggy Bear and a kick ass seventies theme song. Name that show For number two.
Speaker 1: I texted him to this effect, I'm dropping names. But Anthony Jesselnik has a new special coming out, and the still that they used in the variety announcement about it, he's grown his hair out bit and he looks like a young David Soul.
Speaker 2: Wow, awesome.
Speaker 1: I may have given a hint.
Speaker 3: I had already written that town, but she knew it.
Speaker 2: We're all we're all of this age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gen X, baby gen X.
Speaker 2: All right, Question number three of eight in the grab bag, we're talking about TV title pairs. Here's number three, Angie Harmon Sasha Alexander on TNT. The hell was that show? Question number three?
Speaker 3: I used to watch this.
Speaker 2: Angie Harmon Sasha Alexander on TNT Turner Network Television. I believe TNT.
Speaker 1: There's a TV title pair show that I just found out is streaming, hasn't been streaming in ages, in fact, all like, this is the first time it's streaming, and it's on the Roku channel, and it might be a part of this. I'm not gonna say what it is, but I'm just going to tell you that we watch about four and a half episodes.
Speaker 3: I think I know what you're talking about. We'll wait and see if it too sweet.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's sound here.
Speaker 1: Laugh track is more intrusive than you remember from that show. I'll tell you that, at least.
Speaker 2: At first fantastic.
Speaker 1: You're like, this is not as funny. It's the fake audience whatever.
Speaker 2: All right, Question number four again kind of taking it back in the way back Machine Kate Jackson and Bruce box Lightner in the eighties on CBS. Question number four, Great great TV show title Kate Jackson and Bruce box Lightner in the eighties on CBS.
Speaker 1: You have found Speaking of pairs, you have found the right one for this category.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, We're both all right? Question number five East West College Bowl substitute Teacher and Obama's anger translator. Name that show. For number five, East West College Bowl Substitute Teacher and Obama's anger translator.
Speaker 1: Name that show?
Speaker 2: Moving right along, Number six of eight TV title pairs, I think again. I think these are just all in your wheelhouse. Boo Boo Kitty and the drink Pilk, which was a combo of milk and pepsi? What show is that from? For number six? Boo Boo Kitty and the drink Pilk, which was a combo pepsi and milk for number six, All right, seven, you're only getting one thing for the next to last question in this round TV title pairs, getting one word Cornholio. Cornholio is all you get for number seven. And finally, question number eight of eight in the grab bag, Quincy Jones did the theme song Grady and aunt Esther Name the show for number eight Quincy Jones maybe the greatest theme song of all time. Rady Wilson and aunt Esther for number eight.
Speaker 1: You're feeling good because I'm feeling good.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling good. There's two that I'm not sure about. Okay, but I got faith in you, baby, Thank you.
Speaker 2: You guys are impressive. So I think people listening at homework be like, God, damn these guys. Yeah, they're not messing around all right.
Speaker 1: How has it been so long since that he waited to have this perfect pair?
Speaker 2: Yeah? A while, it's perfect TV. Yeah, uh, pencils down. Let's go over your answers for the Pop Culture grab Bag today. In the grab Bag, we're talking about TV and we're talking about TV title pairs more specifically, Question one of eight was just Jenna Elfman and Thomas Gibson. Irene, what did you put for number one?
Speaker 3: Darma and Greg.
Speaker 2: Dave?
Speaker 1: What did you put Dharma and Greg?
Speaker 2: Darma and Greg and Darman and Greg? You would both be correct. You said you had a story about this.
Speaker 3: This was my first speaking role after getting my sad card. Oh shit, yeah, it was the first time I had a trailer. I was there for three days.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what they did with co stars at that point. I only had one line and we shot on the Fox lot and I played a mean woman in a movie theater. And I didn't know this until many years later. I'm sitting next to Georgia from my favorite murder. Oh yeah, I didn't know her. Yeah, and I am not sure what her name is somebody.
Speaker 2: Else Georgia Stark. Yeah, so she's.
Speaker 3: We're sitting next to each other in this movie theater And yeah, sounds so cool.
Speaker 2: That answer deserves a huzzah. What a great best experience though, because I've like it was first experiences are kind of mad, but that one seems pretty spectacul.
Speaker 3: It was great, and Joel Murray was on the show and he was so nice to me and like it was a great experience. It was a great experience.
Speaker 2: I remember sitting on that set me and some friends were doing I was just helping them out. But they were doing a documentary about Dell Close the big like improv you know, Impresara Chicago, and we interviewed Joel and he was like, come to the set and we interviewed him on the set, so like We're shooting on shitty cameras, we have horrible lighting, we don't know what we're doing, so everyone looks like shit. But when we filmed Joel Darmin and Greg and they had all the lights up, he looks incredible. It's like the most professional looking thing. But yeah, I remember being on the Darmin and Greg set.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. You got drive on and everything. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: It was I was, Yeah, I was so blown away. I was like, oh my god, this is so exciting. Yeah, good experience. It was Dharma and Greg for number one.
Speaker 3: What if it wasn't What if that wasn't the answer?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: We just like finished talking. Yeah anyway, No, that's not what it was.
Speaker 2: No, it's wrong. It's Simon and Simon. Sorry, it's Simon and Simon. That's not true. It is Darmind Greg. Question number two a Ford grand Terno, Huggy Bear and a kick ass seventies theme song, Dave start us off, Starsky and Hutch, Starsky and Hutch, Irene, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I also have Starsky and Hutch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is not Starsky and Credenza. It is Starsky and Hutch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have a story that was. Actually that was my first speaking role on TV. I played a young prostitute and yeah, I was. There was a sting. It was in jail. I did the thing with the tin cup against the bars in jail. It wore hot pants, it was, Yeah, it was. It was a fun start fan that.
Speaker 2: Both of you had such incredible first time experiences in Hollywood history.
Speaker 1: A tight little afro, a pukasheon necklace, roller skates.
Speaker 2: Yeah you said it was David Soul. Who was the other guy in Star Skinhatch.
Speaker 1: Paul Michael Glacier.
Speaker 2: That's Michael Paul, Michael Glazer and David Soul And then yeah, Vargas played Huggy Bear.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: You guys are two for two. As we head into question number three, Angie Harmon Sasha Alexander on tnt Irene, did it come to you it did?
Speaker 3: I think Risolian Isles.
Speaker 2: Rissoli and Isles. Dave, what did you.
Speaker 1: Put Rossolian Isles? Baby?
Speaker 2: Damn? Dave is still perfect so far.
Speaker 3: I know, I know he said he was going to smoke me.
Speaker 2: Question number four Kate Jackson and Bruce bus liken'er in the eighties on CBS. Dave Scarecrow and Missus King. Scarecrow and Missus I don't have to show you my answers, but I am.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: You guys are both showing your work, and you should because you're just the impressive as hell. Irene, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I also have Scarecrow and Missus King.
Speaker 2: God, Am, you're making just shambles of my.
Speaker 3: Question, But these were all in our.
Speaker 2: This is our wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: If we were like little latchkey kids that watch TV, we'll have sweet share.
Speaker 2: Question number five, East West College Bowl substitute teacher and Obama's anger translator, Irene.
Speaker 3: I wrote Franklin and Bash.
Speaker 2: Franklin and Bash. Great guest, Dave, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I wrote Key and peel.
Speaker 2: Oh, those were all sketches from Key.
Speaker 3: Feel.
Speaker 2: You have the substitute teacher with the A A ron and the East West College balls them taking their turns, you know, saying their names for the starting lineups for the football teams.
Speaker 3: All right, it's okay, First, miss that.
Speaker 2: Was I was. I was looking at that. I was looking at that one to add it to the repertoire Uh. Question number six. I think we're back on the trolley with Boo Boo Kitty and the drink Pilk, which was a combo of milk and PEPSI what sitcom did that come from? Dave? Laverne and Shirley Schlamiel schlamazl Irene, what.
Speaker 3: Did you put awesome pep for corporated?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Laverne, Defazzio and Shirley Feenie. We're talking about Laverne and Shirley and Millie Walker Wisconsin. It is Laverne and Shirley for number six. Number seven was the shortest clue I gave. I just gave you one word corn holyo, Irene, what did you put for number seven?
Speaker 3: I didn't know this, so I made up a show called Patch and Kiddo.
Speaker 2: Patch and kidd Oh, oh my god, you're so close, Dave. What'd you put? Beavis and but Beavis and butt heead? Yeah, when Beavis gets all riled up on sugar or what not, he turns into the great corn Holio. Okays TP for his bunghole. It was Beavis and butt Head.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. I thought it was Patch and Kiddo.
Speaker 2: Patch and Kiddo does shame.
Speaker 3: So Patch and Kiddo. It was only on for six episodes. It got canceled pretty quickly. Yeah, but it starred. It's it's weird because Will Smith played Kiddo before he was on Fresh Prince, so he was the child in it, and Patch was Joe mantanna.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, Okay, that's They have great chemistry. They always have. Yeah, I wondered where that came from. Yeah, passion Kiddo obviously.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: The gardener I think was Dabney Coleman showed up, but he's only in two of the six.
Speaker 3: Episodes because he was so expensive, brought him in too late.
Speaker 1: That brought him into You gotta start with Dabney.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. All of that stuff is true. Question number eight, Quincy Jones theme song, Grady Wilson and aunt esther Dave.
Speaker 1: I said, Sandford and Son, Red.
Speaker 2: Fox and Sanford and Son Irene. What did you put?
Speaker 3: It's Sanford and Son.
Speaker 2: God, you can just hear the theme song in your head if you like you haven't heard it in a while, Like go get the like the full version, because there is like a three minute Quincy Jones song for that theme song, and it's just extraordinary.
Speaker 3: It is one in Barney Miller, that one in Barney Miller, excellent.
Speaker 1: A really huge time for UH sets that looked filthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, everything looks drab and brod.
Speaker 1: Even Saturday Night Live, everything looks sturdy, filthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything looks drabbed, right, all right, we have tabulated the scores at halftime. Still a great game. Irene White with eleven points and Dave Holmes pitching a perfect game. It's got sixteen, sixteen to eleven at halftime. Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: This could be, this could be come back. It doesn't not at all.
Speaker 2: You're right there, You're right there again. We are here with Dave Holmes. You can follow him on social media at Dave Holmes and he's playing for the Beta Cell Foundation. We're also here with Irene White. You can follow her at the Irene White and she's playing for the Entertainment Community Fund. We have a five point game as we enter the third of four rounds between you two. It is the dreaded or infamous Lightning.
Speaker 1: Round Round three, the Lightning Round.
Speaker 2: So Irene today, in the Lightning Round, you could choose from these three headings. These headings have nothing to do with the question nor the answers, but just something to choose from, and I picked three of my favorite female artists of all time. You could choose either Grandma Moses, Free to Callo or Georgia o'keef. Who would you like to choose for your lightning round question.
Speaker 3: I'll do Georgia O'Keefe.
Speaker 2: Georgia o keith. I'm gonna say the question twice. I'm gonna say go. You're gonna have twenty seconds to say as many answers as possible. Dave dropped some answers down because I went straight to you. There are five second rebuttal Irene White, here is your Georgia O'Keefe Lightning Round question. What I want to know from you are the top nine world economies based on GDP, or gross domestic products. So these are countries that have the biggest GDP, biggest economies in the world. I need the country names, twenty seconds on the.
Speaker 3: Clock and go, United States, Canada, Great Britain, France, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Russia, China, India, South Africa.
Speaker 2: Up. You got eight out of the nine. Okay, holy shit, there's still one up for grabs to see if Dave can steal it. In his five second bottle the top nine world economies based on GDP five second rebuttal, Dave, and.
Speaker 1: Go, did you say Germany? Did you say Sweden? Did you say Italy stops?
Speaker 2: She said two of the three of those things, the ones we didn't get. The one we didn't get. So impressive. I think you're back in the game, Irene. It was Japan. Japan was fourth smart Japan impressive though, on the world economies based on GDP. Question George O'Keefe, alrighty, so, Dave, it's your turn in the barrel. You could choose either Grandma Moses or free to CALLO for your lightning round question.
Speaker 1: How about Grandma Moses.
Speaker 2: Let's do Grandma Moses? All right, say the question twice, gonna say go twenty seconds, say as much as possible. Irene, write some answers, Dounk, I'm coming straight to you with your five second rebuttal. All right, what I want to know for you in the Grandma Moses lightning around question, Dave, what are the top nine most prevalent elements that you would find in our oceans? Elements like you'd see like on the periodic table. The elements top nine most prevalent elements in our oceans? Twenty seconds on the clock, and go.
Speaker 1: Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, aluminum, Yeah, plastic, nitrogen, helium.
Speaker 2: Stop, you got three. You got the top two, of course, hydrogen and oxygen because we're talking about h two. Oh, you also got carbon, so you got carbon was number eight on the list, so you got three right there on there. Irene, your chance to steal some answers are still a few on the board here in the Grandma Moses question. What are the top nine most prevalent elements in our oceans? Five second rebuttal irene.
Speaker 3: And go iron, aluminum.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Stop, you didn't steal any This was a tough one. This was the toughest of the bunch. Let's go through them. We're talking about salt water, so sodium was number three in the god damn it. Number four, chlorine is up, the number five, magnesium kind of interesting, number six calcium, number seven, sulfur as sulfate, and then number nine like silicone and phosphorus are both right in there. So if you would have said either, I would have given it to you. So let's do interesting, very interesting.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the toughest out of the bunch that the other one was kind of a geography question.
Speaker 3: But well I feel abashed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel franklin and abashed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bringing it back. Get this. After an extraordinary, credible, crazy round, we have a new score. We have Irene with nineteen points and we have Dave with also nineteen points. We have a time game.
Speaker 3: Who's getting stretched? Now?
Speaker 2: Still you things just got real.
Speaker 3: Me They've still still me.
Speaker 2: Still I'm still gonna lose. It's nineteen all as we head into round four, which is our Theodore Double Duty Radcliffe round Round four, the Double Duty. We call it the Double Duty because points are doubled and there are nine questions in this round there's nine questions, so there's eighteen points up for grabs. Crucial and today in the Double Duty, we're doing a pop culture before and after. Now we've done some before and afters in the past. I'll explain it to everybody at home. It'll be kind of two clues with a word that kind of combines them in the middle. So, for example, if I said, sir, mix a Lot's Mega Hit into the one point twenty one jigawatts movie, the correct of course it would be baby Got Back. To the future. So you got baby, got back and back to the future. They're connected by the word back that would be your before and after. So we have nine of these bad boys. Let's see how we do in the world of pop culture in this before and after round. Here's question one of nine. Sir Gio Leoni, Clint Eastwood, and Eli Wallack Western into the ABC Dramaedy starring America Ferrera for question number one. Sir Gio Leoni, Clint Eastwood, and Eli Wallack Western into the ABC drama Ye starring America Ferrera for number one, how are we feeling? After one? Do we get it? We understand now?
Speaker 3: I understand?
Speaker 2: Okay. Cool. Usually takes a couple and you're like, all right now, now I.
Speaker 3: Understand what you're going for now, I got it?
Speaker 2: All right, Here we go. This one's pretty great too. Question number two.
Speaker 3: This one's really good.
Speaker 2: I like, I'm proud of myself for this one. It's just fun to go down some of these roads where I'm like, I haven't thought of these names or people or things or songs or books or whatever for a long time. This is one of them.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Question number two the music man that gave us the hits? What I'd say, and Georgia on my mind into the Scott Bao, Nicole Eggert and Willie Ames sitcom for number dose. Again for number two, the music man that gave us the hits, What I'd say and George on my Mind into the Scott bo Nicole Eggert and Willy Ames sitcom. Oh my God, it's gonna come. It's gonna come down to the last couple questions. I can just feel it. I can feel the tension. You could cut it with a knife.
Speaker 3: All right, we're very serious right now. And every time I know, and we're both at nineteen, which makes me think of that song he nineteen no no no, no, no no no no no no, no, no, no, no no nineteen Okay.
Speaker 2: In Vietnam he was nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Number three might be one of the tougher ones of the bunch. So here we go the film that earned three six Mafia and an Oscar into the short story by Daniel Keys that was later turned into the nineteen sixty eight film Charlie need a little I need a little uh wink wink, nudge nudge on this one. If you get it, I think you'll oh I got you.
Speaker 3: Can you repeat the question please? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Question Number three starts with the film that earned that hip hop group three six Mafia an Oscar into the short story by Daniel Keys that was later turned into the nineteen sixty eight film Charlie. All Right, here we go. Number four, number four of nine in the double duty go your Own Way band into the movie featuring the clip Paul Rudd used on many appearances on the Late Night with Conan O'Brien show. Every time Paul Rudd was on Conan O'Brien, he would chock alp from this film instead of what he was working on at the time. So again for number four, go your Own Way band into the movie featuring the clip Paul Rudd used on many appearances on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. The running gag for number four all right, Number five goes like this the first James Bond film starring Sean Connery and Ursula andres into the recent Netflix hit starring Kristen Bell and Adam Brody. Again for number five, it's the first James Bond film starring Sean Connery and Ursula andres into the recent Netflix hit starring Kristen Bell and Adam Brody, Oh my God. And then there were four four questions left in this game between you two combatants. Number six the South Park dudes hit Broadway Musical into the classic film that gave us the I could have been a contender speech again. I'm gonna need a little on this one. I'll repeat it again. The South Park guys hit Broadway Musical into the classic film that gave us the I could have been a contender speech. I could have been somebody. All right, we are d in the double duty. This is the pop culture before and after. We are at question number seven the Beatles' final released studio album into the Flick featuring the Handbook for the Recently Deceased. Again for question number seven, the Beatles' final released album Into the Flick or movie featuring the Handbook for the recently deceased. Holy cow, we're down to two. We're down to the final two questions. Here we go, Question number eight, scandal actress into the author of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Question number eight, scandal actress into the author of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. For number eight, Holy shit, it could come down to this. This is it. This is the final question the head face to face. Here we are a couple of silver spoons. Question number nine goes like this, ESPN's flagship highlights show into the Metallica song with the lyric sleep with one eye open gripping your pillow tight. So again for question number nine, ESPN's flagship highlights show into the Metallica song with the lyrics sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight. Can you come up with that? Before and after? For question number nine, got them all crash? Do you need any repeats?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I thank you?
Speaker 2: All right? Pencils down, Let's go over your answers for an interesting double duty it was a pop culture before and after. There were nine questions in the round. Question number one was Sergio Leoni, Clint Eastwood, and Eli Wallack Western into the ABC dramedy starring America Ferrera. Dave, what did you get.
Speaker 1: The good, the bad and the ugly Betty?
Speaker 2: The good, the bad and the ugly Betty Irene? What did you put?
Speaker 3: I also have the good, the bad and the ugly Betty?
Speaker 2: Two points apiece for the good, the bad, and the ugly Betty for number one, nailing it all right? Question number two, the music man that gave us the hits, what I'd say? And George on my Mind into the Scott Bayo, Nicole Eggert and Willie Ames sitcom Irene.
Speaker 3: Ray Charles in Charge.
Speaker 2: Ray Charles in charge, Dave? Do you agree?
Speaker 1: Also? Ray Charles in charge?
Speaker 2: Willie Ames? What what's he been up to?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wasn't he doing a Bible show? Yeah?
Speaker 3: He was? Okay, all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was Ray Charles in charge for number two? Question number three? The film that earned three six Mafia and Oscar into the short story by Daniel Keyes that was later turned into the nineteen sixty eight film Charlie. Dave, what did you put?
Speaker 1: Hustle and flowers for Algernon?
Speaker 2: Hustle and flowers for Algernon? Irene, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I have hustle and flowers for Algernon.
Speaker 2: That's where I needed a little like, yeah, flow and flow, but it goes together when you put those words together. It's hustle and flowers for Algernon. Yeah. Was that Cliff Robertson that was in Charlie?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Was Yeah? I remember seeing that in school and being like a tear jerker in.
Speaker 3: Like Oscar for it I'm pretty sure did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That was like one short story reading in my upbringing that I actually remembered and enjoyed and liked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys are three or three. The score remains the same. We are tied. Going into question number four, go your Own Way band into the movie featuring the clip Paul Rudd used on many appearances on the Late Night with Conan O'Brien show.
Speaker 3: Irene uh Leetwood Mac and Me.
Speaker 2: Fleetwood Mac and me, Dave, what did you put Fleetwood Mac and me? Fleetwood Mac and Me is correct? Yeah. Every time they'd be like, hey, oh, that was.
Speaker 3: A big guess for me. You used your dead Mac.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, Paul rod would be like, yeah, here's a clip from Anchorman too, and they would show the same thing where it's a little kid on in a wheelchair, like falling off a cliff. He showed it every time. Fleetwood Mac and Me for number four. Question number five the first James Bond film starring Sean Connery and Ursula andres into the recent Netflix hits Hit starring Kristen Bell and Adam Brody. Mister Holmes, I said, doctor nobody want this, Doctor nobody wants this. Irene, what did you put?
Speaker 3: That's what I also have is doctor nobody wants this?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, still tied after five, it's we're on the backstretch of the double duty. Question number six, the South Park Dudes hit Broadway Musical into the classic film that gave us that I could have been a contender speech, Irene.
Speaker 3: A Book of more Mon the Waterfront, Dave, what did you put?
Speaker 1: Also a Book of Mormon the Waterfront.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Book of Mormon the Waterfront is correct. The Book of Mormon and on the Waterfront combined. There the Book of Mormon the Waterfront for number six. Number seven, the Beatles' final released album into the flick featuring the Handbook for the recently deceased. Dave, let it Beetlejuice. Let it beetlejuice, Irene, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I have the White Album for Dead People.
Speaker 2: That deserves a sploshe.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: The White Album for Dead People is very close. But I was going for let it betle Juice. Let it beetlejuice.
Speaker 3: Now I know.
Speaker 2: Number seven. Question number eight Scandal Actress into the author of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Again we're close to Halloween here, Irene, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I have Carrie Washington Irving.
Speaker 2: Carrie Washington Irving, Dave, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I have Kerrie Washington, Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Speaker 2: Carrie Washington, Nathaniel Hawthorne. The one that I was going for is Carrie Washington, Irving wrote the legend follow Washington Irving, Hello, big X. Dave's first miss in Browns one, two and four. So we're tied again. It comes down to this question. Number nine, ESPN's flagship highlights show into the Metallica song with the lyrics sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight. Dave, what did you get for number nine?
Speaker 1: Sports Center Sandman?
Speaker 2: Sports Center Sandman? Irene? What did you put?
Speaker 3: I have Barry Bolonese enter the Sandman.
Speaker 2: Ah, Barry Bolonese brought him back for the final question.
Speaker 3: I knew it was enter Sandman or whatever. I didn't know the name of the same one.
Speaker 2: What I was going for was sports Center Sandman. So Dave gets those points and with that question, Irene White finishes with thirty five points.
Speaker 3: And Daves old, I am oh my god.
Speaker 2: Numerology, play it, go, Go, get a lotto ticket and Dave Holmes with thirty seven that last.
Speaker 1: Question, that's all there was when I played a child prostitute.
Speaker 2: On thirty seven points. Dave Holmes, you are the smartest person in the world. For one.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: That was close the whole way through.
Speaker 3: What againould I feel good about it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think you can feel good.
Speaker 2: Irene you fantastic.
Speaker 3: Hey, we don't know the periodic table, but that.
Speaker 2: Was the toughest one I had to put. It. Couldn't do all pop culture because you guys are just like savants at pop culture. We all we all learned that today. Dave Holmes, you can follow him on social media at Dave Holmes. We're happy to make a donation in your name to the Beta Sell Foundation. Check out his articles in Esquire, They're always excellent, and then listen to both his podcasts Waiting for Impact and Who Killed the Video Star? And then Irene White. You can follow her on social media at the Irene White. We're happy to make a donation in her name to the Entertainment Community Fund. Look for her on Superstore and Ghosts. So excited to see what comes out of your work at UCLA. So you start directing some stuff that was excellent, But the game is not over. It's time now for our final throwdown.
Speaker 1: The final throwdown.
Speaker 2: I have a one off question that I'm gonna give to you both. You can discuss an answer out loud and kind of come up with some different guesses here, and then I'll reveal the answer here. So we were talking about Halloween kind of throughout the game. So I got this from Jackie, my co host, who couldn't be here today, but she gave me this one. Percandystore dot com, name any of the top three most popular Halloween candies as of this year. So like this year's top three most popular Halloween candies per candystore dot com. So you guys can discuss.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this year, I mean, I feel like those little Nesli crunch things are very popular. Yeah, but but I don't know what the kids are eating this year.
Speaker 2: Like what were your favorites growing up too?
Speaker 3: Like what I like the little Nestli crunch, I like sweet tarts, I like M and M's. I just rewatched et So maybe Reese's Pieces.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Dave, uh, little tiny Reese's peanut butter cups or any actually butter cups?
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are good.
Speaker 1: Nestlie crunch bars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the little Nestlie crunch bars, crunch.
Speaker 1: Bars, and like either Three Musketeers or Milky Way.
Speaker 3: I feel like, okay, I'm gonna say Jolly Ranchers. Mm hmmm, oh yeah. I think it's like things that are are not Jolly Ranchers. But the things that are like those things that you put in drinks and they would explode.
Speaker 1: Pop rocks, pop rocks. Yeah, never gotten pop rocks in my life or given pop rocks in my life.
Speaker 2: Halloween.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like the fruity candies you see here and there, but there's not a ubiquitous brute that there is. Yeah, no way, crunch, Reese's.
Speaker 3: Oh, Snickers, tiny Snickers, Snickers, Yeah, maybe tiny.
Speaker 2: Snickers, Snickers Satisfies.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm gonna say sniper. We're looking for three.
Speaker 2: So yeah, give me give me your top three.
Speaker 1: Okay, Reese's peanut butter cups, snow question.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna say Snickers. I'm gonna say small Snickers and then unch. I'm gonna say Nestlie crunch Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's what candystore dot Com said. You got one of them. They're number two on the list was Reese's Peanut Butter Cups was number two on their list, So you nailed that. You got that right, Number one, Irene, you said this earlier, number one. It's kind of like to me, I'm like, really sweet tarts, eminem's, eminem still, and I'm like, I guess it's just chocolate with a candy shell. So yeah, M and M's was number one. You got Reese's Cups, and then after that they had sour patch kids.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean. The kids like something like super.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna rot your teeth and is super sour. And then after that there was a bunch that were after that, Like you guys mentioned a bunch too, but Skittles and Starbursts were also in their top star. Yeah, but I'm with you. I was like three Musketeers, Milky Way Snickers like Little Rose or you know, yeah, k oh my god.
Speaker 1: Here's here's a fun diabetic fact. Sour patch kids are often used medicinally, certainly by me, when you have low blood sugar. They are they are something that will raise your blood sugar very quickly.
Speaker 2: That's you know, like a little yeah, you're yeah, your blood you're low sour Patch kid can Boom give.
Speaker 3: You that.
Speaker 2: Thing is sour Patch Kids in my bag fan fantastic, Wow Gang. It was a pleasure to have you on this show so much. One of the greatest shows we've had with the greatest scores. But yeah, it was just great to think for you guys. So happy Halloween.
Speaker 1: Thank you you.
Speaker 2: Too, we holidays. Have a great rest of your and h yeah yeah, hope. Hope to see you in real life, real soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Thank you bye. See you next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 2: I want to help out the podcast. Please subscribe to You Should Know Better wherever you listen to podcasts, Rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the masses. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action, check us out on TikTok and Instagram Until next week. Take care of yourselves and each other.
Speaker 1: We're all in this together.
Speaker 2: And then the immortal words of Harry carry so long. You Should Know Better as produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruffi and myself Mike C. Nelson, edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Shema. Voice over talent Natalia Castelianos and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderico