Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to the Blacks and Technology bit tech Talk podcast, a show where we talk to black people who are engineers, innovators, educators, invenors, change makers, and entrepreneurs doing amazing things in the world of technology. The bit tech Talk podcast is where they show how they are stomping the divide by sharing their stories, ideas, knowledge and perspective on tech with the big community.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show. Dennis, glad to have him.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Greg, glad to be here. I'm and excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent, excellent. Yeah, It's been a minute since I've done these podcasts, so I'm excited to jump back into it. Tell us a little bit about yourself, you know, kind of where you're from, and give us a little bit of that background.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: So recently. I'm from Saint Louis, Missouri. I grew up in Saint Louis, lived there to about two thousand and eight. I had a really just different childhood growing up in the city like Saint Louis. It was not always as much opportunity as I would like in the take industry when I was growing up.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, I kind of.
Speaker 4: Svered into a pathway that was a little bit different than most of the people that were my peers at that time period. Eventually, after high school, I moved to Atlanta. I studied electrical computer engineering down to Georgia Tech, and then from Georgia Tech, I had the opportunity to start in the power industry, but eventually got into computing and hardware and software and things of that nature, shifting in shifting my gears later in my college career to really locking in on computing, and then ultimately it's really amazing opportunities out of Atlanta, which originally I was intended on moving to California right after I got out of Georgia Tech, but just opportunity kind of presented themselves out there that allowed me to want to stay in Atlanta for a little bit longer, and I basically grew myself professionally and my network, my experience and that stuff in Atlanta and eventually moved out here to California to the top of twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Nice. Nice. So I'm curious about, you know, your time in Saint Louis. By the way, we're kind of neighbors, like I'm in Cincinnati, while so you know, that's what five hours west.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're mid West brothers.
Speaker 2: Midwest.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So tell me a little bit about, you know, your early interest in tech, Like how did you you know, you said you didn't wearing a lot of your peers that were in attack. How did you get into it? All?
Speaker 3: Right? For sure?
Speaker 4: So my age, I'm thirty five. So when I was growing up, and I want to say, the Internet started to pop around maybe six or seventh grade for me, like commercial side of the Internet started to come out more, so you know, you get stuff like AOL and all these different things that were kind of popping up a lot. So around like middle school, early high school, I really started to get intrigued by the Internet. We had like dialog for a while, but I used to literally walk to the library in my neighborhood to go get on the internet when I was like I could vividly remember these times when I'm like eleven twelve years old, like walking to the library to use the Internet and just accessing a lot more information. So for me, I always had a fascination with it once I got exposed to it. Once I got into high school, there was some things they kind of peaked my interest even more so I had chosen pathway. Wanted to be in technology in middle school. I wanted to kind of focus in on technology, specifically from a business perspective. So I was always an entrepreneur, even before I was actually passionate about technology, Like I actually started out more like my first job wasn't even a job. I was actually an entrepreneur cutting grass in my neighborhood. I literally the moment my dad gave me an line more, I literally walked around my whole neighborhood trying to find people, trying to get myself out of ten people that I can cut their grass on the regular basis. So I was an entrepreneur first, but I knew that I needed a pathway that would kind of allow me to unlock more economic opportunity. Given that I was coming from a city like Saint Louis. It wasn't like there was just overflowing amounts of resources in the environment that I grew up in.
Speaker 3: I did have access and we did, we were blessed. But I just.
Speaker 4: Knew that there was a difference from some of the other things that I had saw. Given just being a student, like I was a very active student, like I could I was like always doing really really good on standardized tests, and I always had really really good grades. So I was a student a certain kind of way. But eventually, when I got to middle school and I chose that pathway of technology and business. In high school, the thing that really peaked my interest in the direction I wanted to go in was Facebook. Facebook came out when I was in high school. Excuse me, when I was in high school two thousand and four, two.
Speaker 3: Thousand and three, something like that.
Speaker 4: And when I was in high school, Facebook wasn't even for a high school students yet.
Speaker 3: It was literally only a college platform.
Speaker 4: But the high school that I went to was called Cartner Rid or College Prep, and given that college was in our high school name, it honestly let our high school be one of the first high schools that had access to Facebook, because high.
Speaker 3: Schools were not on this platform.
Speaker 4: So there was like me and all the guys and people that were in my high school, we were on Facebook. My parents had no idea about it, the faculty and staff had no idea about it. It was just like this own little island that we had, and it kind of peaked my interest in So when I'm about fourteen to fifteen years old and.
Speaker 3: I'm seeing Facebook.
Speaker 4: The first thing I started thinking was, first of all, who made this? Then when I figured out who made it, and I was like, hold on, a guy in college made this.
Speaker 3: What college did you go to?
Speaker 4: Then I started going down that rabbit hole, the kind of und standing and stuff. This was stuff that I was interested in that like very few people were interested in. Everybody was just more interested in, like having conversations and talking about music and sports on Facebook. And I'm just like, hold on, man, somebody in college made this. What kind of college was?
Speaker 3: Yet? What made them?
Speaker 4: So then I started going down the rabbit hole and studying people and technology and stuff like that. Mark Zuckerberg definitely inspired me to want to go in the pathway of technology, and then I just started studying all the other great So I started studying people like Bill Gates, which we all Microsoft and all this stuff, and all these things were already ever present during the nineties and the early two thousands, but I just wasn't infatuated with this stuff because I didn't see it as something that was like a pathway that made sense for me growing up in the way that I was growing up. But when I figured out a college kid made Facebook. I kind of felt like, this is something I probably could do, but I knew that, of course, coming from the background that I was coming from, it might not.
Speaker 3: Be as director of a pathway for me there.
Speaker 4: So I just was like, all right, what kind of school can I go to that would get me into an environment where I could kind of learn these kind of things. So that's what opened up my eyes to First I wanted to go to MIT, which I did apply to MIT. I had the opportunity to go to MIT, but I didn't think Boston would be the best place for me coming of kids straight out of the Midwest side of just the kind of environments and the communities that I was coming from. So I started looking and I started like, all right, what are the other schools that are kind of on this level that ultimately could give me the opportunity to get around this kind of stuff. So then you know, I start going down the list, like Old Stanford, I go see Carnegie mailing, you see different schools, and then I see Georgia Tech is like in the top five. Then I realized that Georgia Tech is right in Atlanta, which is ultimately a cultural hotbed for African American people, so I ultimately like, I think Georgia Tech could be a good fit for me, And by my junior year in high school, I was just like, I want to go to Georgia Tech, and I started figuring out the pathways to get there. And then ultimately that's I did a lot of work. I tried to make my SAT scores as good as I.
Speaker 3: Could get them.
Speaker 4: I always had really good grades and things of that nature, did community service, and just did as much as I could to present myself as somebody that could be able to survive in an environment like that and thrive as well.
Speaker 3: But ultimately I had the opportunity to get the set.
Speaker 4: At the Georgia Tech my senior year of high school, and that's when I kind of started my real journey into the tech space, because most of what I was doing in Saint Louis was more just kind of dibbling and dabbling in different things, learning different stuff. But I didn't have enough access as I would have ideally wanted at that time, so I was just like, how can I get to the place where I can get some access, And that's what Georgia Tech open the doors up for me.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Nice, Yeah, that's a I kind of had that same mindset. I mean, I'm older than you, but there was it always intrigued me when I when I seen like people depicted geniuses so to speak, or smart people. My my thing was War Games. There was an old school movie about a computer hacker hacking the Norarat uh kind of took control and was so that was kind of my my influence. And then I had a couple of people in my life as well that were that were kind of heavy into electronics and things like that that would show me things. Uh. But but seeing that on screen and just wondering, like, wow, man, if that person and in War Games, I'm not sure if you're if you're hit to the to the movie, but uh, it starred Matthew Broderick, uh and he was a teenager in high school and so he was he had an affinity for computers and so like he had a modem, like an old school modem of the modem where you set the phone actually uh, and he was connecting into his his high school and changing grades and things like that. And then you know, so he was doing that kind of hacking and then he hacked into uh, the Defense Department Nor at and I thought that. I was like, man, that's that's pretty cool. So that's kind of like where the spark of technology started with me. And then like along along the way, like you start seeing like like you said, like Marcus Zuckerberg, and started seeing people like Bill Gates and uh, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak and cats like that, uh, and just being more intrigued about like how did they get to where they are? Like how did they obtain, you know, the knowledge that they had. I started seeing they like, you know, like Steve Wisney act was going to all these computer club groups and things like that, so that that intrigued me as well. But I relate to you on that level where you know, you kind of see these folks that are in this space. The sad part about it is is that none of these folks were black people exactly, at least not my early exposure. Of course, now I know a ton of black people intact. But at the time, you know, growing up to anybody, of course, it was kind of that, you know, it was a good thing, and at the same time it was you know, I kind of wish there were it was more representation.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely had to deal with that, like, and I just want to spend a little bit off there, because you just kind of triggered the thing for me, because realistically, being as young as I was and wanting to go in those directions and coming from the community that we're coming from, it seems like most people that are successful from our communities come from different backgrounds, whether it's in the entertainment fields or sports.
Speaker 3: Things of that nature.
Speaker 4: And for me, I realized that given that there weren't role models. And the crazy thing about it is I had no idea about it. I don't know if you know about David Stewart, that the CEO Worldwide Technology. Worldwide Technology is like, he's actually a billionaire. It's one of the biggest tech companies. It's a tech service providing company. But ultimately it's a guy named David Stewart. He actually runs one of the largest tech companies in the world, and it's a black guy, and it's actually based in Saint Louis. It's actually based in the Saint Louis area. And I literally had no idea about this company the whole time I was growing up in Saint Louis, and I had no access, no exposure, but I was extremely passionate about technology. So for me, I learned out. I figured out.
Speaker 3: I learned about him later on in my career, But.
Speaker 4: For me, it was always like I always looked at all the other guys that I studied at, like from Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, to Jeff Bezos to Mark Zuckerberg. I always had to like study them and also remember that everything with a caveat these guys are either in certain types of communities that ultimately kind of make it and their stories. They definitely had to deal with resistance to do the things that they did, but there were things that allowed them in their pathways to be able to kind of, you know, make it a little bit less less what do you call it, friction to get where they wanted to go. I knew that the process might have been a little bit more difficult for me, but coming from Saint Louis, I just always knew that I just have to be resilient if I want to do something, even though a lot of people didn't believe, Like I told people when I was twelve or thirteen years old living in Saint Louis, like I'm moving to California, one day I want to be in technology doing all of this stuff, and plenty of people told me things of the nature of and little Dennis, you sound crazy, Let Dennis, Oh, okay, all these different kind of things, And for me, it was always one of those things where I just knew that something was calling me in those directions and whatever it was going to take me to get there. I just stayed persistent, but definitely had to have a level of faith and belief to kind of be in the minority in this space early in the two thousands and stuff like that, to keep just staying dedicated to the process of really developing the skills and then ultimately building those relationships to get where I ultimately wanted to to any space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, it's super important, and that's why I'm glad, Like you know, this organization exists now because folks that are coming up now they have that, they have that support system, they have those images of positive images of people black people are tech that they can look towards and say, Okay, yeah, I can do it too. You know, we've got a whole community of people that are doing it. I can do it. So yeah, that's that's definitely important. What's up everyone. We hope that you're enjoying this episode of the Blacks and Technology Big Tech Talk podcasts. Do you or someone you know have a dope story that they want to share with our big audience. Blocks and Technology is seeking guests to be on our podcast. We're looking to highlight the journeys and experiences of black women and men in the tech industry. So if you know of someone, send them our way, shoot us an email to contact us at Blacks and Technology dot net, or click on the link in the show notes and fill out our form. We're looking to hear from you. You talk about Georgia Tech and you went there for electrical engineering.
Speaker 4: Correct, that's playing computer So Georgia take the schools of electrical and computer engineering.
Speaker 3: That kind of like merged together. Wow. Wow.
Speaker 2: So I know because I took some electrical engineering courses when I was when I was in school, and I.
Speaker 4: Know I actually started on that pathway. So I literally started on the electrical pathway. I literally spent two and a half years doing government contracting in the energy space, so basically doing feasibility studies, power grid designs, forty to fifty year plans for military bases and small municipality.
Speaker 3: So I spent years. I spent literally.
Speaker 4: Two and a half almost three years working in the electrical space before I converge it over to computing and hardware.
Speaker 2: Wow, what was your experience like there in Georgia Tech? Tell us about like, you know, your your workload for class and just the experience of being at Georgia Tech.
Speaker 4: I mean, to be completely honest with you, Georgia Tech was the best way I can describe it. It was a place that pushed my mind to the brinks of what it was capable of. That was like the most positive way I can describe it. So the environment was definitely especially when you chose so you know, they have majors, so multiple different majors than all colleges. The pathway of electrical computer engineering at Georgia Tech is like the It's like one of the most elite pathways you can take inside of the school. So this environment has certain pathways, architecture, some of the other pathways that are really really highly intense that ultimately they figure out what you're made of really really quickly. So within the first semester of Georgia Tech, you're gonna figure out whether or not you're cut for this pathway or not really really quickly, And it pushed the bounds instantly when I got there, But ultimately I was still fresh out of Saint Louis and I'm in Atlanta for the first time, so I wanted it as adjusted to what that climate act the woods, but I knew my mind had the ability to adapt to it, but I also was still wanting to experience Atlanta. So understanding, Georgia Tech is an island in the middle of Atlanta. It's like Atlanta, it's this big, you know, it's a very i won't even say culture diverse. It's a very African American driven environment where black people are highly successful. They really run a lot of the things that go on in an environment, and it's one of those things where you see success in all different ways. Georgia Tech itself is like it's a huge thing in Atlanta, but it's ultimately like this island that kind of is separated from the actual culture of Atlanta in a certain kind of way. So for me being a part of the black community in Atlanta, I mean, in Georgia Tech, it was like, Okay, we're on this island. But for me I'm coming from Saint Louis in the community where I'm around all black people all the time. So I come to Georgia Tech and now I'm in it's bubble, and then it's bubble is a little bit different. So for me, I had to figure out how to find my cultural balance of Okay, I like being in this in this environment because it's doing stuff on my mind that I always wanted to do. It's helping present me the new perspective and all these different things. But there was things that I knew they were in the rest of Atlanta that I wanted to experience as well, which a lot of people at Georgia Tech don't step out of that bubble like's you could probably imagine there there are areas in Atlanta that some people that may come from certain backgrounds, they're not as comfortable in these types of environments. For me, it was actually more serving for me to go to Like I had one of my high school partners who graduated. We graduated at the same time. He went to Morehouse the same time I went to Georgia Tech. So I had the opportunity to go into the environment in the AUC in a very very comfortable fast and then what most people that Enjoorgia Tech at that time had the ability to do because without having people in the AUC, you really can't just go over there and kind of be in that environment. So for me, I had the opportunity you used to, but I didn't have a car, So I hop on the Marta, go to the West then get off at the West N station. I'm walking up through the Reil Atlanta and the Georgia Tech student and I'm just going through all this stuff and it's one of those things. For me, it was like very natural and organic because I'm coming from Saint Louis where I rolle up transportation in Saint Louis too, and it's like you can see different things in those environments.
Speaker 3: So for me, the comfort was.
Speaker 4: There with the city of Atlanta, but I had to figure out how to find my comfort in an environment at Georgia Tech.
Speaker 3: Eventually I found it.
Speaker 4: But the workload at Georgia Tech is intense, like it's not a regular it's not your tip, especially when you're in certain pathways like when you're in electrical and the computer engineering at Georgia Tech.
Speaker 3: It's extremely intense.
Speaker 4: I used to describe it as like having a full time job plus overtime. I'm like, maybe you gotta work at least fifty to sixty hours a week just to stay above water in this mouth. You want to be excelling in Georgia Tech, you might have to give it sixty five.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. It's just that real, especially in certain pathways.
Speaker 4: But the type of preparation that I got in that environment, I can never downplay what it is. Like it taught me how to be an innovative thinker and how to actually adapt to just almost anything that's thrown in front of me as an engineer, Like it hardened me to be the type of engineer than I am where I wanted to go in a certain pathway in engineering, and I knew that to be the type of engineer I wanted to be, I needed to be capable of adapting almost any problem throw in front of me. And that's what Georgia Tech really helped prepare me for. But at the highest level. So if prepared me from a perspective level, it prepared me from a network level. Like coming into this environment, it's multicultural. There's people from all over the world here, there's people that are now running all the different type of corporations and businesses all over the world, because it's preparing people to be just that, but it's about being able to network and building those environments, but also being able to perform because it's a performance based environment.
Speaker 3: So if you're not performing, you're not going to be able to survive here.
Speaker 4: So for me, I had to find a perfect balance because I still had to, like, I'm still living in Atlanta, and there's a cost that comes along with living here. So I had to given that I had some financial support going to Atlanta in Georgia tech, given I didn't have everything, So I had to figure out how to also work a job, work multiple different jobs, and also still do this sixty hours plus a week of course work and kind of maintain that.
Speaker 3: And that was always I had to find that balance. It was just one of those things where I had to create a balance, And yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was I don't even like to call it difficult. I just know it pushed me to the balance that allowed me to become hardened enough to be what I ultimately became as a professional. But I enjoyed my time there. I enjoyed the network that I had the opportunity to build. I enjoyed the experience and the knowledge that I gained, and I just enjoyed being able to grow in a city like Atlanta.
Speaker 2: What what type of support system did you have there? Uh, we're part of any groups, any any student union groups or anything like that. Like you know, when you described like the the the hours that you had to put in as far as like your workload and the intensity of the studies, there's obviously some things like you're not going to get you know, right off, Like you go into a class, you start seeing it looks like Greek. You're like, oh man, you know, what is this all about? But then you start searching for like, well, you know, I gotta I gotta get some people around me who knows this stuff or who's been through this before. Uh so maybe they can help me. Kind of what was that whole process like and what groups were you part of?
Speaker 3: I'll be transparent with you.
Speaker 4: When I first got to Georgia Tech, I did find myself in like what they call the BSO at Georgia Tech, the Black Student Organization. I spent some time in that environment for the early part. So like maybe the first semester a little bit of the second semester when I was at Georgia Tech, but I quickly learned that there was very few people in so like there's a lot of black people, what matter, let me say a lot. There was a decent amount of black people at Georgia Tech, but there was very small amount of black people that were on the same pathway that I was on. So there weren't like, like a decent amount of black people at Georgia Tech or the athletes or in those kind of environments. Some maybeing management or business and things of that nature, but when it comes to the engineering pathway, there are people inside of these pathways, but we're very few and far between. So inside of the electrical and computer engineering pathway, I had one of my closes to this day's one of my closest friends in name of Vanilla Woods.
Speaker 3: He's like, we've done amazing things and technology to gather.
Speaker 4: We had the opportunity to be, you know, some of our first companies together and things of that nature. But we literally were roommates from the whole from our sophomore year in Georgia Tech all the way throughout the whole time we were there. And I had somebody who was on a computer engineering pathway while I was on the electrical engineering pathway that ultimately was dealing with some of the.
Speaker 3: Same types of things.
Speaker 4: So we had a really really close brotherhood because I got to see the difficulties that he had to go through to survive and maintain in the environment. He got to see the same thing that I was going through to maintain, and we had a different pathway because ultimately, like well, my friend Brenew he was a full ride student in Georgia Tech, so he had the opportunity to get what they call the President's Scholarship, And I got to have a friend who had a different level of exposure to the environment of Georgia Tech, which ultimately allowed me to see some of the differences and how you have to operate to get to the highest level of the space. But ultimately I had some really good relationships. But I also had a student, a I mean a student what do you call this a work study job that was in the financial aid officer Georgia Tech, which kind of helped me a decent amount.
Speaker 3: And then from it.
Speaker 4: There was also other organists that I was in, so there was another organization called the music production I played. This was a group of guys that just liked making music and beats, and this was something that was more of a everybody in there was in different majors and things of that nature. But it actually gave me like a community that allowed us to kind of have something to breathe and relaxing while we were inside of Georgia Tech. And we all liked making music and talking about music and stuff like that. So that was kind of like a release space for me inside of the Georgia Tech environment. And then luckily I had my friend from Saint Louis who went to a moralhouse, which I had some amazing relationships with the guys that he kicked.
Speaker 3: It with over there.
Speaker 4: So I kind of had like a good I had a healthy balance of the things that I needed to keep myself kind of balanced out. But ultimately, by the time my third second third year in Georgia Tech, when it came to my studies and just doing what I had to do to maintain in my major, I.
Speaker 3: Was in the library by myself, reading.
Speaker 4: I was doing my research in the library, locked in just figuring out what it took to make it makes sense for me because you learned really quickly at Georgia Tech that you do do a lot of group projects. You do do a lot of kind of group and collective work. But there are certain things that once you're in it, like you either you're going to man up, put the big boy breaches and boots on and kind of buckle down and do it, or you're going to figure out that this is in the place for you. So I just put on the boots and just kind of locked in after my second third year and just did what I had to do to continue to be in an environment drive and strive.
Speaker 2: Nice, nice, And that's that's a you know, I actually these type of questions, you know, more for not only to understand, you know, kind of your background and everything like that, but also for an audience, especially if there's younger people that are in college right now that might view these podcasts and are just like, you know, what if this person do in order to you know, get by. You know, some of them may feel isolated, uh, and they might not know you know, who to turn to, where to go, and things like that. So giving a little insight into how how you kind of navigate it, we'll get that information on you know and pass out on to people who are who are watching and listening to this podcast. So for sure, you've been around quite a few industries professionally, energy, government, and some others. Tell us a little bit about kind of what led to led to you choosing those paths. Let's start with the energy and let's go into into government for.
Speaker 3: Sure, So we can start with the energy.
Speaker 4: So, like I said, that was a pathway that I took while I was still in college. So Georgia SEAK had a program was called the Cooperative Education Program. The Cooperative Education Program in Georgia SEAK. It gives you the opportunity to work a full time semester then go back to class for a full time smester. You have to get accepted into this program, and then you have to also get accepted into different basically different corporations that sponsor the program. They come in and it's not like just the traditional internship. It's more like you're actually a full time employee for this company and you start up like in a certain level. I came in as a project engineer and I literally like built up my rapport with the company.
Speaker 3: I worked with a.
Speaker 4: Company called Highline Engineering. So this is when I got the exposure to government contract Literally I got to work with some really amazing professional engineers. One of the guys who led the company that I worked with the company's called GDS, but I worked for the Highline subsidiary GDS, so Highline was ran by a guy named Kevin mar He literally was kind of like a mentor to me. Once I got into the cooperative vegucation program and I had the opportunity for my second third year at Georgia Tech, and going into my fourth year of Georgia Tech, I had the opportunity to work really four semesters full time at a full fledged engineering firm, and I started out helping write government contract proposals, eventually scaled up to start helping with different types of feasibility work and the research for those proposals, and then eventually I got to go into the field later on into my process and be a part of projects where we would go to military bases and they would take us into areas where we would get to survey they're doing different kind of projects to convert from overhead energy to underground and all this kind of stuff. I mean, I learned a lot in that time period. I learned about government contract proposal writing. I learned about success and men contracts. Also learned about the type of engineering that goes into the energy related projects, and I also learned a lot about that industry too. So the industry that I was in in power, which I saw some amazing opportunities in there, and I got to learn some amazing things. But for what I wanted to be as a professional, or at least what I saw myself becoming, I didn't think that that industry would lean heavily into the type of disruption I wanted to be able to do inside of technology. So when I was in the energy space, I kind of felt like I needed to make a pivot out of energy into something else that would allow me to spread my wings. Remember I told you I was intrigued by Mark Zuckerbray. When I'm thirteen or fourteen years old in the software space, I get to Georgia Tech and I realized that and the real thing that I learned about in electrical engineering, you know, when you do well, when you do what they call feasibility work for power design, they come in and they say this is the stuff that they do before they build cities. This is the stuff that they do when they're redesigning cities and municipalities and military bases, all this kind of stuff. They come in and say, Okay, how many people are going to potentially be in this area, or how many are already hear? How many generators do we need to feasibly kind of serve energy to all these people? Now many residential places are going to potentially be here, how many commercial places? All these different things, and you kind of survey things, and then they create what they call these They basically create the grids that ultimately allow the power to flow through these places. And when you do that stuff, you realize that hold on these same grids are the same grids that they run for roads, they run them for waterlines. But they also, outside of distributing energy, they're distributing the internet connectivity that allows us to have access to computers, phones and telephone lines and all that kind of other stuff. And I realized that this was the foundation of the stuff that allows computing to actually work. So this is how, this is how those towers that are put up that get you Internet connection and all this stuff. All of this stuff flows on very similar pipelines. But the people that do the energy design projects are the people that kind of lay the foundation for all of this stuff. And that's the thing that I really learned. I was like, oh, so this comes in and it lays the foundates for everything else. And then I realized that everything else kind of stacks on top of the accessibility of this stuff.
Speaker 3: So it opened my eyes up.
Speaker 4: But I knew that I kind of wanted to be in a different space, So I just learned a lot in that industry. But that was while I was still in college. That was even before I really took the like went really crazy as a professional and started doing the things that kind of have created who I am to this day in the computing and the software space. And once I kind of converted over, it was it was just kind of like a new world. I kind of saw opportunity from a totally different leans when I got into computing and all worn software.
Speaker 5: That is always focused on forming new partnerships and opportunities to assist the community and our members with their continued professional growth and development. If you'd like to partner with us, send an email in queries at blacks and Technology dot net.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a kind of a similar journey myself.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I took computer network engineering in college. I went to a local community college. But engineering, the word engineering is the key, right. It's not the same as computer science. Uh, it's not the same as information systems. It's engineering, and engineering usually encompasses more low level. And I don't mean low level from the standpoint that it from.
Speaker 3: Talking about foundational level.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about foundational level. You know, computer chips and uh, integrated circuits, all that stuff, right, Like that's the level. When I say low level, I'm talking about integrated circuits and circuit boards and all that stuff. That's what you end up learning, you know, so you know, you know, with me, it was like a C circuits, DC circuits, electronics, all that stuff, how to how to how to wire up circuits, you know, using a breadboard and how that all that, you know, all the low level programming languages and everything like that. So I realized, although it was out I like learning that stuff, I realized like, well, I don't know if I want to do this for the rest of my life. I don't know if I want to be replacing you know, integrated circuits or or testing them to see if they if they're working correctly and things like that, like I don't know if that's that's so that would you know, that's kind of what led me more into what I do now, which is more along the lines of DevOps engineering, computer administration, network administration, and engineering that type that type of thing. Uh So, it's it's interesting that you know that that's kind of like the same journey, like you found out quickly like oh this is this is different and this is at a more base foundational level and what I want to be at, and so making that pivot, Yeah, I definitely understand that.
Speaker 4: And then I would even I was just a little bit there because because the first thing when you talk when I say engineering, whenever I talk about engineers, I like to just tell people that engineers are system designers. So engineers do the designs for the systems that actually are the things that make most of the stuff that we actually interact with and work with every day, no matter what laying there in they design systems. And for me, in the power industry, for me, it wasn't even about it being because there was a lot of opportunity to do stuff. You know, there's so much innovation that happens in power but I also was, like, like I said before, I was an entrepreneur before I was an engineer. So when I came into this space, I wasn't just looking to be an engineer. I was actually looking to be more of an industry leader. And I realized that to be an industry leader in power is very unlikely for you to have the ability to disrupt enough to become a leader in the industry that's been here for so long. So I saw things like I even saw stuff about like you could see the energy like you could see solar energy coming when I was in the industry, like I saw the ways of solar energy coming, and I saw how it was being forced to rely on everything else that was there, and I realized that like for me, it was more of a business based decision why I left the energy space rather than just say because I saw it as this industry read that was so I don't want to use the wrong word to describe it, but it was an industry that like prevented people that wanted to disrupt the opportunity to disrupt enough to gain enough opportunity from it. So I was just like, yeah, no, I think I should go somewhere else. Where if I want to be disruptive and innovative, I could be able to really truly benefit from doing all of those things and the work that comes along with it. So that's kind of what took me into the computing space more in the software space for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes sense. I would say the energy I feeled is is a lot proper, you know, at the time was probably a lot I guess, more mature, Yeah, and less less likely to be disrupted with you know, we still have a lot of our you know here in America, a lot of our infrastructure is still based on a lot of the older technologies. Uh, it's harder to disrupt that when you when you know you have that that kind of traditional long standing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I used to say, it's kind it's called gray hair.
Speaker 4: They have like great leaders inside of the energy industry that they're not willing to bend in fold. They don't really like a lot of the stuff that's happening in the solar space right now. There's things and the reason why this stuff is all economicy driven though, So it's just kind of like telling somebody that's been generating so much for so long that this can be more efficient. But efficient at will cost it costing me losing billions of dollars a year. I don't know if I want that efficiency. That's that's kind of it's an interesting conversation that topic. You know what I'm saying, it's a tricky one for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've I've watched shows documentaries on Nikola, Tesla and and and he was kind of in that kind of in that situation where he was talking about, yeah, I have a way to generate free electricity, and Western House was just like nah nah free yeah.
Speaker 6: No no no no no no no no no no no, how how how how can we You're talking about being able to wire wirelessly transmit energy to you know, because he had all his starts of being able to utilize the earth to conduct it and send electricity and different advices and things like.
Speaker 3: That, He's going down the rabbit hole right.
Speaker 2: One of his backers were just like, yeah, so how do we how do we how do we? How do we generate revenue from that? How do we meter that? And he was just like meter it, No, this is going to be free. Yeah, so let me let me talk to you for a second.
Speaker 4: Nicolas exactly, rabbit hole right there, and he didn't just have theary A lot of this stuff was actually like he had the real like there. But I mean there's people that actually do a lot of this stuff that he's talking that he talked about this is this is a deep rabbit hole though, So I don't want to get too deep into that one, like it'll take us off course, you.
Speaker 3: Know, to take us off course in the conversation. So that's a deep one for sure.
Speaker 2: So you you you have some experience or you have experience with geo fencing technology and tell us a little bit about you know, explain to audience what geo fencing is and then tell us how you got into it and how that led to you founding your first company.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: So yeah, So late in my career Georgia Tech, my partner of vanill House talking about previously, he was knee deep into a lot of high level just research projects in computing and software. So I kind of started working with him and some of the guys that he were working within some of the research labs at Georgia Tech, and we're doing some really really dope stuff at that time at Georgia Tech, you know, we had access to a lot of just really really interesting research, and there was funding for different types of projects and things of that nature, so we had the opportunity to see some really cutting edge stuff before it was actually a market ready thing. Geo fencing was one of those things that we had the opportunity to kind of explore, along with some other security based stuff, but geo fencing was literally the thing that was the innovative backbone behind the first funded technology company I was a part of. So literally in our last seminster, Georgia Tech, we had the opportunity to partner with well really t I was the person that invested in our company, so we basically had this class form was called Yopima, and he ultimately invested a decent amount of money and supporting my partner from there, who's at the leader of the company at that time. But I was literally just more focused on making my transitioning to the software space. In the computing space, so we had done some stuff like hardware related, we built some supercomputers and all this kind of other stuff, but once we realized we wanted to create a halfway. We realized that software was probably going to be the way, so we wanted to figure out Okay, what can we do that's innovative in software that allows us to kind of differentiate the platform that we wanted to create. We were seeing social media. Remember we're still inspired by the social media eraror. So this is twenty eleven, twenty twelve, this is when Facebook is really starting to gain momentum. Companies like Facebook and Twitter, they're starting to balloon and blossom in different ways, and we're completely inspired by the social media transition and disruption into space. So we created a social platform called Yopima that basically was focused on letting people know we lived in Atlanta too, which is the mecca like clubs and parties and entertainment and all this stuff. So this, the platform that we built, was literally focused on letting people know how many girls and guys were at a club or a show or an event before you go there, so you could look at your PEMA and kind of check what's the temperature at the place before I go. So it was just kind of this thing that was kind of a cool you know what I'm saying. The cool implementation of some the geo fencing technology that we used was basically, you have our app on your phone when you get here. I don't know if you remember some of those early aps that you used to like do check in when you go to places and stuff like that. Our app was like one of those first that was like a silent check in, So you get to a club, or you get to a music show or a bar or something of that nature. If you have our app on your phone, it basically with the technology that we created, it would basically just let people know there's another guy here, there's another girl here.
Speaker 3: There was other components to a.
Speaker 4: Social components that we built into the application, but that's what allowed the entertainment industry want us to support us in that application. We ultimately did some really high impact stuff, but that technology was there was a lot of things that we had to learn from a business respective.
Speaker 3: We were really good engineers.
Speaker 4: We were really good at finding innovative things and creating an native stuff and working with high level technology to do stop stuff, but there was things in business that given it we were starting in Atlanta, there was things that we didn't understand completely about the scalability of an infrastructure of innovative technology like geo fencing when the infrastructure wasn't designed for us yet, like this.
Speaker 3: Was still very early. There weren't geo fence bubbles.
Speaker 4: All over the place like they are now, So we were doing this stuff very early, and we were literally had we went on tour with Tip two Chains and Wane, and we were like literally going to different cities creating geo fences at clubs and bars and doing them in shows and stuff like that, and physically making geofences that would ultimately be at certain locations that would activate.
Speaker 3: For our apps.
Speaker 4: And we did that for quite some time, and we had the opportunity to build, but ultimately the cost of the business started to be like the cloud infrastructure costs for that business, given that we were maintaining and managing these geo fences ourselves on our own data infrastructure, it started costing a hefty amount. And that was ultimately the thing that kind of one of a few different things, but ultimately that thing was kind of the biggest thing that ballooned the business into a way where it was almost not manageable for us to operate with that innovative technology, given that the rest of the landscape of technology wasn't ready for what we was doing at the time, so we had to pivot.
Speaker 3: Out of that, but ultimately we still had the patent.
Speaker 4: We got patents for creating for comparative methods around geo finhing, So basically anything that kind of tells you how many.
Speaker 3: People are at a specific location.
Speaker 4: This is the same data they use in different apps and advertisings and things of that nature. Right now, that ultimately that pattern kind of is just extremely relevant in today's time currently based off of the way that people use geo fencers to do things. But yeah, that was kind of my introduction and technology as a software developer and things of that nature, and we did some amazing stuff, but ultimately we kind of pivoted out of that and then started just doing other things after. But it was definitely a great introduction to the industry and inted us to introduced us to entertainment. It introduced us to high level tech business and a number of different things.
Speaker 3: So that was a great start. Nice.
Speaker 2: Nice Did you all just end up shutting the company down? Did you exit or.
Speaker 4: Like how we definitely could shut the company down, So the company basically phased, But ultimately, since we had the patent, the company still basically has some intellectual property that has extreme value. So while the software platform costs a lot of money. Maintaining that entity, with that infant, with that with that IP ultimately is something that kind of has permeating in a number of different ventures that we've created since then. But ultimately, given that we were some of the first people to kind of do some innovative working in jail fensis space, it always kind of creates different opportunities for us to kind of bring that padding up in different type of things over time. So it's always been something that's been relevant, but that business we did phase it out and started focusing on gotcha.
Speaker 2: And I think that's even just a good nugget right there, just when people are thinking about creating companies and understanding their intellectual property, whether it's a patent, whether it's a trademark, whether it's a copyright or like whatever, it's important, right you do something, you have a logo, you have a brand, or what you know, do the legal stuff. You know, people, I remember a friend of mine told me when I've started blacks and Technology, you know, you know, for me, blacks and Technology has always been like, you know, the safe space for uh technologists engineers could come that we can you know, create this community. So I was just hardcore, you know, engineer, engineer technology, technology, and this person told me that you need to get you a marketing person and you need to get your lawyer. It's one of the first two things that you should get. And I didn't early on, I didn't listen, and I've gotten burned by that. But it's you know, since then, it's it's it's uh, you know, I've gotten those things and everything like that. But for all the people who are talking about starting a business or pursuing a business venture or anything like that, legal is important because they are going to protect that intellectual property that you have. You know, and I know the patent process is not an easy process at all.
Speaker 3: And we were blessed, We were really blessed at Georgia Tech. We got some.
Speaker 4: So we had a law firm called Folly and Lardner that was a former Georgia Tech alumni who had worked on a lot of different patent work and for different companies, you name them.
Speaker 3: They worked on stuff with them.
Speaker 4: So we ultimately had the opportunity to work with Foley and Lardener to pursue our patents. They were still working and they ultimately helped us get through the full process, and that was some of the best support that we could have had because they helped us get that IP that helped us differentiate the company.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that marketing.
Speaker 4: Luckily we had the entertainment industry that helped us a lot too when we had a celebrity coming.
Speaker 3: And invested in our company.
Speaker 4: So there was a lot of things that kind of benefited us early in our career as engineers that were very focused on being businessmen. We just knew that we had engineering skills, we needed to do the other things that could help politize as businessmen and people that kind of understood the balance. Like I always was focused on the balance, Like it was never about me just being an engineer and not understanding what my output was actually creating what it could create for myself and just really allow my gifts to kind of open the different doors for me and always being aware of that. So yeah, legally and marketing and branding, these are things that are critical no matter even if you're just an engineer yourself, Like you still want to properly brand yourself because there's a time they could come a time if you're working for another corporation or something of that nature, and if you're not properly branding yourself as who you are, there could be a chance where your experience and knowledge that they actually taught me that in the engineering front, and I work with too, they always told me make sure that you anything that you do, you document it properly and make sure that it's a part of the narrative of who you are as a professional. Don't downplay the value of your resume, don't downplay the value of your networking experience, because those things actually create more of a way for you than even just having a certain amount of knowledge at certain times, because that validation is the thing that makes your experience. Your experience brings stuff that just knowing something that happening a degree can't validate.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, that's one hundred percent, man, I definitely share that. You know, so you start your first company, you know, I know there was a lot of lessons learned and a lot of bruises, pumps and bruises, and then tell us a couple of like lessons that you learned, a couple of the successes and failures that you.
Speaker 4: Have for sure, man, so Yo Pima, like I said, we did have to pivot out of it. Because we scared like it just skilled and when the infrastructure was prepared for That was probably one of the first really hard lessons that we learned in technology, or that I learned primarily. So then eventually like I wanted to immerse myself in more experiences that could because understanding that I didn't even go back to college to get the NBA or get any of the other stuff. I focused in college on developing innovative engineering skill sets, and I knew that for me, as somebody who was always an entrepreneur, I knew that the best way for me to get business knowledge was to just keep dumping myself into business experiences and using my knowledge to kind of get access to more the stuff that I felt like would allow me to be a more polished business person.
Speaker 3: So I would say, just over the.
Speaker 4: Whole ration of me working in Atlanta, probably later on in our career, I started in my career, I started that I was a part of starting a mobile phone company.
Speaker 3: It was called Mulai.
Speaker 4: We started a phone company and we built out some software that allowed phones to kind of be monetized. So basically there was an ad system that we built in the mobile devices. We started this in twenty sixteen, and there was a lot of stuff that we learned when we started that company that ultimately let me know that some industries are much more difficult to mainonstrate than others. And the war stories that come along with trying to get into the telecom industry from a technology perspective or countless. Literally the company that we started was just recently like we like, it's just crazy things that come along with it, but we get other partners that come in and they're intended on one way and we're focused on innovating, and things just kind of don't always align properly. And these were things that me and my partners that were building those companies had to deal with consistently. And we started that in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: And those war stories and wars still come to this day.
Speaker 4: Like we're literally that company Moulah that we started as a mobile company that my partner ver now he took it into the telecom industry completely and started selling phone.
Speaker 3: Service and all these different things and devices.
Speaker 4: There's just a lot of difficult things that come with navigating industries like telecom that you just have to be resilient to stay in those industries because the resilience that comes along, like the amount of resistance that you get, the amount of people that want to either take.
Speaker 3: What you have or reshape what you've created to make it their own thing.
Speaker 4: And it's just difficult to navigate different industries when you're coming from something like we're software experts. So me and miaf you were in the software in the computing space, we're in the We do dabble into the hardware space as well, Like we spent a lot of time in all these spaces. But knowing that the telecom industry is the thing that's like been here for even longer than the devices. Those mobile devices are here, but the industry has been here for so long that when these mobile devices come in and start disrupting, it's a certain way that they expect. Company like Apple and Samsung the interfacce with telecom reunuistry and they play a certain kind of way. And we happen to be in the mix of being one of those players that were like interfacing with telecom from a mobile technology and hardware projective And just like I don't like going down that rabbit hole and stuff is just crazy. But ultimately I would say that the experience that we gained. The experience I gained being in those spaces was just I can't put a dollar amount on it. I just know that I learned how to operate in manufacturing at the highest levels. I learned how to operate at software at the highest levels because I went from building one or two apps here and there and like doing different application projects to running a team or we're building seven building advantaging seven and eight apps at the same time that are a software suite that go.
Speaker 3: In the firmware system.
Speaker 4: That also if you can see behind me, these are some of the devices that I created, Like I created multiple tablets in twenty twenty three, so I built three tablets, two mobile phones, and led a team that we did all of that stuff. So that was something that it was a journey to get to the place, but it ultimately taught me so much about business in a way that I'm like, there's not a dollar sign that you can put on it.
Speaker 3: So I would say the experience that comes along.
Speaker 4: With those war stories are the things that I choose to dwell on more now than anything, because now I'm in a totally different place than an executive, and there's an experience like developer, innovator, all of those kind of things. So now I just kind of focus on using the experience to really be more of a bestling the vehicle and also to do some of the things that I'm focused on doing into the future. Which yeah, man, it definitely comes with bumps and bruises, but I'm very rough and rugged from all of those kinds of experiences.
Speaker 3: To be completely honest.
Speaker 5: Do you have a product or service that you would like to share with the big audience or maybe you'd like to support the big community and do your part in helping us with stomping the divide. Start by sponsoring one of our podcasts. Please email us at contact us at blacks and Technology dot net.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a friend that he is out of Austin, Texas. He he deals with like open source technologies. Uh, and he's he's told me some of the some of the stories that some of these telecom folks that he's involved with, right, Like, and I can't I can't recall exactly what he what he was doing, but it involved some of these telecom companies and like he always tells me how how how much like they are pissed at him, right like because he'll call them out on certain things on you know, they say they operate one way, and then you you kind of get into the nitty gritty of it and they don't actually operate like that, or they try to hold things back and things like that. So he's told me some stories where I'm just like, man, that's that's they cut through over there.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, it's shark and fisted waters for sure. Man, for sure, tell.
Speaker 2: Us about let's talk talk about on another world experience. Uh, that's your your XR company. Sure for one, you know, tell tell the people, tell the folks like what XR is, and then let's talk a little bit about like what what why you why you chose to go into the XR space.
Speaker 3: Sure. So first XR it stands for extended reality.
Speaker 4: It's the umbrother that includes what most people know about this augmented reality kind of those filters and all the layouts and stuff that you do in social media. Then the next lane is virtual reality, which is like, you know, like I got a few VR head sets back here. Those some of the prototypes that I have for the company, But ultimately there are VR head sets that are like Oculus, Medicut, Apple, Vision Pro, and then there's a version that's called mixed reality, which is that's kind of the next frontier.
Speaker 3: Apple Vision Pro is more of a mixed reality advice.
Speaker 4: And then the medicalest three they're mixed reality vices, but they actually lean heavily in the virtual reality. So all three of those are three different umbrothers that fall under the extended reality umbrella. And ultimately this this is basically the next frontier media. So if we want to be completely transparent about immersive media, it's the I like to like give a quick like historical timeline of what's happened in media. So you know, we started there was a it was just oral tradition in the beginning, like people just new communications and stuff around story.
Speaker 3: It was oral.
Speaker 4: Eventually they got to this form where they kind of got physical written stuff. You start carving stuff out in tabs. You got written languages and letters and stuff like that. Now you got stuff that you can kind of record stuff. Then we transition from written stuff to audio formats. They can kind of like take your audio and vocal stuff and kind of put it on radio transmissions and eight tracks and records and all of these different things, and thos all eventually, of all in the CDs and all this other stuff, we eventually got the visual stuff where you got TVs and all this other stuff. And now now we have digital stuff, so we got streaming that kind of has taken all of that video and audio stuff that was traditional and kind of put it in a more quick consumption format so you don't need the same physical.
Speaker 3: Apparatuses to access all of this stuff.
Speaker 4: But now we're in another custpane of transition to media that it really has been happening for a few years, really for a decent amount of years now, but it's a very slower transition because the other formats that we've been using for so long, people have just grown the custom to them. So right now, this transition from the more traditional digital media formats to now this immersive media format that will be mixed reality and virtual reality, this stuff is happening right now in front of us. So as somebody who's always been passionate about innovative technology and doing innova making innovative creation, so like being an innovative thinker and an innovative business mind, I saw the immersive media space like I've known about it for years, but I knew that, Like, one of the things I really learned with Yo Pima that I can probably bring into this now is that if you innovate too much, too fast, and the infrastructure a business isn't there for you while you're innovating, you end up in a very very tough space from a business perspective, because if you innovate five steps ahead of the market and you just did all this crazy innovation, then now the business and the rest of the market is not ready for all this stuff that you made, and now you're dealing with costs of trying to bring something that's innovative back to the market, which never serves anybody's business.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: So for me, what I learned in that experience is that while I've known about any immersive technology and mixed reality and virtual reality tech for quite some time, I knew that it wasn't the timing for me to take myself into that innovative space. So for me, I literally was like, all right, I think now is a much more.
Speaker 3: I think it's a good time.
Speaker 4: Like I was inspired to move into the immersive media space in twenty twenty three at the end of twenty twenty three, and really I kind of wanted to figure out what my ID in concept was. This was after I had worked in a company called okay Play when I moved out here to Cali, which ultimately was a it was a gaming company for children that ultimately I had the opportunity. They sold that company in like two years, so I was one of the first engineering hires on that team that company saw that I got to work in this other company called Dapper Labs, biggest one of the biggest NFT companies in the world. Working for those two companies gave me this insight that I didn't get the opportunity to get when I was living in Atlanta and working in technology when I.
Speaker 3: Moved here to California.
Speaker 4: I got to tell this story now because it's why I'm actually doing what I'm doing in the immersive media space. So those two companies were extremely critical for my growth and development as an executive. But it was really from an engineering perspective that I had the opportunity to learn your stuff. So with okay Play, I had the opportunity to work with some amazing people out here that were all Silicon Valley and California based tech executives and professionals that had done a lot of successful things and technology. They gave me the opportunity to come into the team and help them build out Android technologies. In the early process of them building an application. Me working with them, I got to learn some amazing things. I got to learn how to be successful as selling a technology company, but also how to build a culture that was conducive to building a team that could build a highly successful technology business. I also got to work with people that had already done it before. Everybody that I was working with ten to fifteen years my senior, maybe five to ten years my senior. But they ultimately had the opportunity to teach me things because I had engineering skills that can help what they were looking to get accomplished. But they also had knowledge and insight on what does it take to build a company, and what does it take to build a company and raise the capital to build it, What does it take to build a company and build a team and a culture that can Then we actually started. They started the company in twenty twenty, so the pandemic hit while the company was getting ready to launch. They still knew how to navigate the waters of a pandemic to build a mobile technology company, grow it, scale it, get over half a million kids on the platform during the pandemic, and then ultimately be able to sell the company to a billion dollar NFT company. So when I was a part of the process pre product launch and I got to see it all the way through exit and liquidation, and when I got to be a part of that full process and I saw the camaraderie of that team, I saw the culture of that company, and I saw the leadership that allowed me to see things that I did not have the opportunity to see. While I was doing business in Atlanta and working with them and selling to that billion dollar NFT company, I learned some really really interesting things as well. I've known about the blockchain space and the innovative in the crypto space for years as well. There was a reason why I didn't go direct into that industry because I knew that it was extremely volatile. Even though it was innovative, it was so volatile that it didn't make sense for me to dive deep into that based off of what I understood from a business perspective. But when I had the opportunity to work with that for Labs and I saw that there wasn't as much volatility working with a company who had a partnership with the NFL already, who had a partnership with the NBA, who was the licensed NFT provider for these companies, and a lot of other large scale entities. So it made it more comfortable for me to want to work with an NFT company. But they also let us come in and build out the first mobile technology for their whole company. So they had no mobile tech. Everything was web based and all of this stuff, and they brought our team in and we had built some really dope mobile tech and they brought us in and said, hey, we need to build mobile tech and we don't have any yet, and you all just made some mobile stuff. Can you all bring in your mobile So it was really an acquisition where they phased out maybe about eighty to ninety percent of the company and kept some of the executives as well as the guys who were building a technology, which was me and a group of about three other guys. We came in and became the lead more mobile team for Dapper Labs, and I had the opportunity to work on really high level projects for about sixty seven months before the NFT market took another dip and that company had to let some people go, and for me, I was already like I was already past wanting to be in that infrastructure, but I saw it as an opportunity to work on some really high level stuff. So I was like, okay, cool. So they gave us a servance and said, hey, we got a downsize and I was like, that's perfect. That was right before I was about to get married, so my wedding was a few months later, and I was like, all right, cool. That was the motivation that I needed to get back into the entrepreneurial space and get back focused on building something and innovating in a way that would allow me to use that experience in a more beneficial way. That ultimately took me back to the mobile company where I did all that stuff in twenty twenty three that I talked about and eventually gaining those hardware experiences. It kind of motivated me to want to get into the VR and next SA our space. That's how I got to the place of wanting to start a not just a million dollar VR company, but I wanted to build a billion dollar VR tech company that has the IP or potential that I feel like the insight that I got working at all these companies kind of leans heavily into and these are the things that I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Just you know, people can say a lot of things.
Speaker 4: I'm more like, no, I just got out of a billion dollar NFT company and they brought us in to build a department that ultimately built a new wing of their business. And then it showed me things that as a young, growing, innovative tech entrepreneur, that things that gave me insight that I feel like, I know what it takes to kind of do, and I know it's not an easy process, but I do know that right now. That insight let me want to go into this immersive tech space because I see it as the next frontier media and that's kind of what brought me to OAW and OAW. I guess I could talk a little bit about that now. Yeah, for sure, One Another World Experiences, Well, it's going to be one Another World Experiences in technology. It's a premium immersive entertainment company or entertainment and experiences company. So what we're doing is creating solutions that will allow people all around the world that either have commercial real estate, vehicles or or that have spaces that they want to provide immersive technology as a solution to make it more accessible, but also making it more.
Speaker 3: Private and safe for people.
Speaker 4: So the sweet science of one Another World is that while most of the other competitors in this space currently focused primarily on gaming, if you go to almost any VR entertainment space, it's more arcade based, like a sandbox or zero latency. These companies are very much so they are quite so much successful inan with things that they're doing, but they focus primarily on gaming based experiences, which I feel like limits what this frontier media actually can become. So our faces are meant to be something that allows people to explore it in a much more open fashion. You don't have to come in here and think that you just had the ability to play a zombie shooter and an escape room. You can do a number of different things in our verticals and it allows it will allow that accessibility and comfort and also make it more readily available. So our models are meant to make the technology much more accessible. I don't want to give too much about what that accessible means conversation, it's definitely that's the sweet science. Yeah, So that's the sweet science of it, so we're actually looking and we're in the process of starting our first capital raids.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: We spent all the twenty twenty four doing the building the foundation of it, so I got my manufacturing partnership and relationship. I started building some of the initial software we need for the software suite that we're building. We also did our first commercial real estate deal that's going to be for our first flagship pilot location that we'll be opening in Saint Louis later on this year. And ultimately, yeah, we build some of those initial partnerships. I built a founding team that I feel will aligned to the culture that we're looking to have on another world. I have one of my partners who's heavily in real estate and development, and I have a couple of other guys, one of my guys in education, one of my guys in the community engagement and development. So we ultimately have built a team that's kind of leaning very heavily into I have tech experience and knowledge, and my other kind of parts in this company who are all my.
Speaker 3: Friends of fifteen to twenty plus years. They just have experienced in different lanes.
Speaker 4: It allows us to kind of have a really really strong base of we need to take one another world to another world.
Speaker 3: Honestly.
Speaker 5: The BIT Foundation has established featured partnerships and programs with companies such as Amazon, at and t comp, Tia, tech Stars, and more to provide our members with the resources we want and need to thrive and succeed in this tech ecosystem. To learn more, visit Foundation dot blacks and Technology dot net.
Speaker 2: Nice man, I mean that sounds super exciting. All right, I'm ready. I'm ready to see it.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't see a ton of black people in that space from as creators like I see them utilizing you know, other platforms and doing things within that platform, but not actually creating a platform itself. So this is this is very I would say, monumental. Uh. And I would also say, like you're probably gonna get like once once this episode drops and people within the big community see this, they're gonna they're gonna want to holler at you because you know, we we need to be And I'm saying, like, you know, just saying from a standpoint of like you know, when when is this when is your your your platform gonna drop? How can we you know when it drops can contribute to it or what have you. Just I love seeing folks like within our community collaborate, uh and have outlets and spaces like this, uh where where they can you know, connect and make things happen. So uh, I know there's already folks that that are in the space, uh, in the community. And so you know, once this episode drops out, I love to see folks like connect with you and and and you know, share ideas and and see where this whole thing can go. But yeah, that's that's dope. So you know AI is a thing right now? How is that playing a role and what you all do all cool?
Speaker 4: So I mean AI like, So just to give another caveat the amazing thing about being in Georgia Tech, I got to learn about AI in twenty and ten, twenty eleven, Like I was doing research projects on AI. Like I literally have like PowerPoint presentations of projects that I was doing studying the history of AI in twenty ten.
Speaker 3: So I've been aware of AI for years.
Speaker 4: I knew that it was going to eventually become more commercialized with more the data infrastructure to empower it came to life, and more the hardware infrastructure required for it came to life, which now over time it has now got there. But for me, as somebody who's always been like, I'm a knowledge and information junkie. So like I literally, like I said, I walked to the library when I could get on the internet when I was a kid, I always was interested in having more access to information and wasn't constrained to like any one thing. That's if some beside my to me, I couldn't learn something, I know that there was probably a book or something out there to get.
Speaker 3: Access to it.
Speaker 4: So for me, AI has been like a It's almost like a supercharger for my brain. Like I use it and almost use it in so many different ways. I could talk about a million AI platforms that I use. Of course, I use chat, GPT, and I use I use a couple of like visual platforms like mid Journey and things of that nature.
Speaker 3: Like I kind of use it a little bit of everything.
Speaker 4: I use it for, Like so like I have platforms to create documents and like create frameworks for branding materials and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: So for me, AI it's just a supercharger tool.
Speaker 4: I look at this like a supertool for me, as it kind of integrates in almost the way that I operate and do everything as an executive, as an entrepreneur, as an innovator. It's just kind of like it's like that supertool that I use for It's almost like a Swiss army knife, and I just kind of pull it out when I feel like it's going to enhance what I'm trying to get accomplished.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 4: A lot of people ask me about AI and I just tell them, man like, learn about prompting and figure out how to make it make sense for something that you're already doing and spending a lot of time on. Because it's it's literally whatever you need it for, you can kind of figure out how to implement it. You know, a lot of people are fearful of AI. They say it's like the leading jobs and stuff like that. It's not going to delete your job if you know how to use it, Like, if you know how to use it properly, always going to do is make you more efficient at doing something that like, it's an efficiency tool in my opinion, so I used to be more efficient honestly.
Speaker 2: Are you do you have any plans for integrating it into the XAR space?
Speaker 4: And yeah, of course, Like, so that's what I was talking about, the image generation stuff. There's so many components of AI that we're going to use to integrate. Like there's a component of creating VR worlds and creating VR experiences that can be highly influenced by AI. So now you can rapidly create immersive worlds, rapidly create immersive.
Speaker 3: Games and things of that nature.
Speaker 4: Not just games, but like there's education components, there's mental health, and like there's different types of components that AI lean heavily into. Then you can kind of take the VR in the immersive media space to frontiers. That definitely working to unlock a lot of those things right now. I'm actually building a few VR apps right now that lean heavily in and using AI for some of the generative stuff as well as components are just kind of like having the level of interaction that can help people kind of navigate stuff more effectively and learn more effectively.
Speaker 2: Nice. Nice, So I know you're part of a couple of other ventures. DNY Enterprise is Campfan. Tell us a little bit about those two.
Speaker 3: All right for sure? So DNY, Yeah, I got your DNY Enterprise. That's my service vehicle.
Speaker 4: So I've had probably three consulting firms over my journey and check for the past fifteen years. DNY Enterprises, it literally is a family based.
Speaker 3: Business for me. So d is my name.
Speaker 4: Why is the first initial of my wife's name. We call it DNY Enterprises because I'm building it for the legacy of my family. And I really just figured out how to build systems to caps on all the experiences that I just talked to you about and make it in a way for me to make profit from having systems that help entrepreneurs business owners that want to be more effective at using technology as an asset for their business.
Speaker 3: I do is I help people all around the world. Like I have some clients out in.
Speaker 4: Africa, I have people all over America that I help and build things. But ultimately I come in and I take people through what I call a Vision Adventure service. It's like a four step process where I help people itemize and clear their vision out. After they clear out the vision and we go through the process, I help them really understand what is it going to take to build the technology that's going to help your business and how does it align with the goal of your business.
Speaker 3: So I got like this.
Speaker 4: Project planning service that we offer, and then I go into project management and development, Like I've developed so many things that I don't let people come to me and say, Like people can't pay me to develop an app in twenty twenty five. It's not a hey, Dennis, can you develop all? Can you help me building app? I'm not in the business of building people's apps anymore. I'm in the building in the business of helping people be successful with technology business and typically most people don't know what they require. So my service is more of a coaching and consulting service. So I kind of consult and help people understand. First of all, you have to have a clear runway before you start building technology and just thinking it's just going to make sense.
Speaker 3: You got to build some then that'll actually allow their.
Speaker 4: Technology being an asset to a business, because technology is a health, it's not a business. Technology is a tool and the resource to a business. Now there's components to technology that you have to manage like a business, Like those costs that I was talking about in your pemas not understanding business properly enough. We got costs that balloon the technical infrastructure, and now this thing is burdening it down our whole business. So I spend a lot of time helping the people that I work with understand how to connect the dots between the technology and the business ideas and the problems that they're trying to solve. And then like the fourth step we go do, I say, we go do project management and development. So we offer a few different services there where we can bring in I have contractors that work with me all around the world. We help people build technology, hardware, software, websites, whatever you want to need to build that that you feel like aligns with the goals of your business. And then I help people kind of strategize on what is it going to take to make this sustainable, So whether you want to raise some capital, whether you want to boostrap and how you're going to strategize to make this bootstrapping process makes sense. But we take people do pilots to get them some data and then figure out what's going to make the most sense for how they want to grow the business in DNY enterprises.
Speaker 3: That's our core service.
Speaker 4: We also offer courses that I created that ultimately help bring youth as well as seniors and stuff like that into the tech space. So really introducing kids to technology and ways that make sense. We kind of introduce kids to technology via gaming and applications because that's kind of their first introduction to it. So we walk them from gaming and that and the core app that they like into how the business of all of it works. Because these kids, they're they're living in this digital economy where they know stuff about money that people in their age period. They probably you wouldn't understand how much they understand about economy until they ask their mom and dad for some robox books, are asked for some Minecraft cash or something like that, and once they start doing that stuff, you understand they understand economy. But I also walk them back to from that gaming and application all the way to how this is infused with math and science and artistic work and creativelopments and coupon And that's kind of how our course teaches kids how to stop looking at technology it's just something to consume, but also how to see it as a world of opportunity, specifically coming from our communities. Given that I live out here in California, I've learned a lot of things about the tech industry. Also learned that if we just look at the percentages of the biggest tech companies in the world, and how many people that come from communities that are predominantly minority driven.
Speaker 3: You'll see that there's still a very small percentage.
Speaker 4: While the number of the percentages are growing, it's still a smaller percentage of people from our communities in these industries. One of those things has to do with the visibility of people like ourselves being more in their face and allowing them to understand it as possible, but also really just knowing that they have to be taught the pathways to get into the technology industry, Like it's not a thing where you just can.
Speaker 3: Jump knee deep in here.
Speaker 4: You need to kind of like walk your way into understanding those value propositions and then also the work as you would know it takes. Like if you go into the tech industry without being driven properly, you need to have some type of purpose driven thing that allows you to have the persistence that's required to learn what it takes. Whether you even if you want to be a cold or developer, it takes a lot of persistence. But even if you want to be a salesperson in tech, or if you want to be a marketer in tech, or if you want to be a legal person in tech, there's things that you have to have a level of passion for and a purpose driven kind of motor for to develop those skills.
Speaker 3: But we have to help our community at the earlier phase. So that's what I built these courses for.
Speaker 4: Also built it to kind of help senior citizens that want to be more engaged in technology because that disconnect between the current use generation and the older generation that technology is building.
Speaker 3: The bridge needs to be closed.
Speaker 4: But if people like I said, or like yourself, don't kind of help bridge the gaps between the older generations and the next and the next generation that's already engraved in and stuff, it's just going to continue to build this thing that I don't think is healthy for our community. So that's why I built the courses to introduce and bring people into the community of technology, but also to help kind of close that gap. And then the other thing I do offer is public public speaking services. So I do public speaking. I kind of I'm looking to scale my public speaking into twenty twenty five and kind of being more focused on just kind of being more vocal about some of the things that we're discussing here.
Speaker 3: So that's d and Y Enterprise in the Nuts Sale.
Speaker 4: It's literally meant to be like a Swiss army knife of me taking my experience, knowledge and networking tech and really just helping serve all businesses.
Speaker 3: But I really love helping under.
Speaker 4: Resource and under just people that come from communities that don't typically have access to this stuff. And I really want to help people that have either professional experience in other industry figure out how to take advantage of technology when it comes to scaling and growing their business. The other business Camp Fam Productions. That's a family based organization as well. That's something that I bualt with my immediate family, my brothers and my parents. We built out this thing. It's going to be a media company basically that's to do a number of different things. So I have an animated series that we're producing that's going to kind of tell the story of a futuristic world that kind of brings up it's borderline and sci fi, but it's going to be much more relatable to our community. It's almost imagine like a fusion of I'm gonna say it now, but people are going to be inspired by this idea, but imagine the fusion of the Boondocks and the Jetsons. Imagine that type of fusion, but something that's totally yeah, that's meant to really.
Speaker 3: Inspire and make it more relatable. A lot of stuff that we're talking about.
Speaker 4: The characters of the show are based loosely around me and my brother's personas because we're all very different, but we all have a tie that brings us together.
Speaker 3: So it's really a family based show.
Speaker 4: But there's a number of other things we're doing under that umbrella, just like from a creative component, like as you can say, like I can talk about technology all day, but there's creative things that I feel like I need to do to make sure that I'm making my story more relatable and accessible to people in our community. So I create music that ultimately kind of paints a very clear picture of just who I am authentically. My brother he does spoken words, so we kind of put all of our creative things. And he's also an educator too, So my brother's an educated but he spoken words. I'm a tech executive and innovative, but also make hip hop music. I mean, we kind of create this umbrella camp fan production that kind of allow us to put our creations in that thing to ultimately bring some some life to our family long after we'll be here.
Speaker 3: So that that's kind of the plan of what camp Fan production is focused on.
Speaker 2: Man, you are the epitome of giving back. You reach back and man putting the family on Like, that's that's incredible, that appreciated, incredibly inspiring man. And I love that you touched on because I used to. I used to do music, right, hip hop music. Okay, so I've seen the Wu tang in the back. Yeah, yeah, you know, wo tanks for the children. But you know, so there was an early two thousands of a pretty robust hip hop scene here in Cincinnati. You know, we've got you know, cuts like high Tech producer and him and you know Quality. Of course Quality is from New York, but he really got a lot of his huge his start here in Cincinnati. So like, you know, it was this huge group of people who kind of grew up in the hip hop team together and we all knew each other and everything like that. Man, And but you know, I had this other persona in tech, and the two didn't merge a long time. Like I wouldn't even tell folks like in my professional setting that I did music and it was It wasn't a thing of embarrassment. It was a thing of like, I want people to take me seriously when it comes to, you know, my engineering skills, Like I don't want people looking at me differently and things like that. But as I got older, I stopped caring. Like you know, it came a point where I just I realized, like I'm not I'm not going to hide my who I am. I see so many of these, you know, other white people who have all these outside interests, and you you read about them, and they don't they don't don't care about touting what they do. Like you know, one of the one of the gentlemen. I always use him as an example, this this gentleman named Jeneral Bacon. He he was a community spokesperson or advocate for a boon to Buntu Linux right when it first came out. And this dude was part of like you know, so, you know, I used to go to a bunch of you know, open source Linux conferences and things like that, and he spoke at one of them one time, and then I read up on having this dude was part of like this thrash metal band right like so and then I. So I'm reading about him, I'm like, oh, it's part of a thrash metal band. Nobody cares like, nobody nobody judges him for that, right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then I seen this, this one, this picture that was pretty profound for me.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: There were there were It was a picture of all these white hds like they had PhDs and uh, technology and computer science. And it was like a group of them just lined up side by side.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And they all had like shorts, flip flops, T shirts, just looking super normal, super regular and everything like that. And I started like, man, like, what we don't have to We don't have to put on a mask for conform. They don't need to conform, right like, we we can be who we are uh. And and and being who we are in this space and having this community. It's more of an inspiration than than if I was to you know, show up in a suit and tie all the time and acting as if you know, oh like no hip hop music and no, no sport, no man, I love sports. I love basketball, I love football, I love hip hop. I grew up on hip hop, So why wouldn't I want to show that side of me? And and and and keep young people from you know, one thing I used to always run into when I when I first started blacks and technologies, there used to be discussions around, yeah, we want to do is being in sports and hip hop and music and blah blah blah blah blah, you know, from older, older people at the time. And I used to think, like, what's wrong with that? Like what's wrong with us wanting to be in you know, and in those types of industries And they see that it's lucrative for one, you know, for some people who can make it, and two that shouldn't prohibit them from anything else, Like that's just a part of who they are growing up in the environment that they grew up. But what we need to do is we need to show them an image of that plus des you can do both.
Speaker 4: Man, Look, you're literally talking into my core. Like the reason why I didn't say anything about the music stuff if I didn't say it to the end, like I'm glad you asked me about camp fan productions at the end, because you you just talked to me for an hour about technology, and I can do it for three or five more hours about technology and it could just keep going. But when I talk about my culture and my community.
Speaker 3: I understand like hip hop is the most authentic way to express ourselves.
Speaker 4: Is we have to remember that the media conglomerates that marketed hip hop for years made it seem like there was only one way that you could be in hip hop, and there was only one demographic that they wanted to promote. Remember, hip hop started a certain kind of way, and it eventically in the nineties evolved into something else because they wanted a certain image to be portrayed from hip hop artists. And then remember in the early two thousands that moment when Kanye West and fifty Cent had that head to head thing, and it was like hold on because like you were just talking about Kwali, there was artists like Kwaliti and Common and all these guys, and there was until the moment when Kanye said, hey, you can be something different than.
Speaker 3: Hip hop and put his head up against what he was one.
Speaker 4: Of my favorite rappers, like literally one of my favorite artists, businessmen, he's one of my favorites. But when they put Kanye against fifty cent, you understand that Kanye inspired a whole generation of other artists who didn't want to portray that same image that was downplaying what are what the narrative of hip hop was being painted as in the nineties, it was like there was this thing that was in our community that was only portraying a certain thing that makes hip hop seem like it was just this negative thing. But hip hop was never just this negative thing, and most people that listen to hip hop know it was never just that. That's just what became mainstream publicized. For me, hip hop always was this place where I could hear the most authentic stories from my community, and it was a relatable way to do that. I spent years recording music before I ever talked about it, Like I literally like when I lived in Atlanta, it was like in Atlanta, it was hip hop was just like playing basketball.
Speaker 3: It was just like going to the boy.
Speaker 4: It's just like going to the club. Everybody just goes to studios and it's like a regular thing that people do in that community. Because it's one of the most effective expressing b hippos that.
Speaker 3: We have in our community.
Speaker 4: Now it's on people like now because my monitor and hip hop, Like I literally was moved just last year to actually create an album, Like I've been recording music for ten plus years. Like probably the whole time I was in Atlanta, I never was like, I want to.
Speaker 3: Release this music.
Speaker 4: It was always just a place where and I spent years like we had a studio in our house, Like I literally to record all the time. But the thing about me not wanting to put it out was very much so aligned with the thing that you were talking about. I didn't want people to get distracted from the fact that I liked making hip hop when I was trying to build my perfect Now it don't matter if I talk about my hip hop, because you can't discredit everything else that I've done. Now I can talk about all of this stuff and I can be free about it. But now I feel a level of freedom that I didn't have before. And in twenty twenty four, I started recording more music because I stopped the whole time I lived in California. When I moved to California, I stopped recording. It wasn't the same type of energy that I had. But the top of tween twenty four into twenty twenty three, I got inspired to start writing stuff again, and then I mentally wrote more records, and then eventually I got inspired with an album A name for an album. I created a whole album that I'm still in the process of post production for. But all of this stuff came at the time period when now it's like, I'm perfectly fine being the artist that I wanted to because I was inspired by artists like Jay Z and Rick Ross and fifty seven. These guys aren't just rappers, like, these guys are business mobiles. They actually chose to say, yeah, rap, I can tell my story, I can tell where I came from, but I also can go run this multimillion dollar, billion dollar company as well doctor Dre's and like, you see what these guys are doing, so they have the capability of doing all this other stuff. It's just hip hop's just happened to be the thing that allowed them to get in the industry. But for me, like my monitoring hip hop is mister buzin Tech because that's who I want to be. That's who I am. Actually, Like it's like, more, take me serious. I'm gonna put mister in front of it, so you can take this serious.
Speaker 3: This is not a joke rap. This is serious music. I'm not making just party music and kicking music. Now, this is the stuff.
Speaker 4: My album is called you can't unsee this because once you hear it, it's one of those things where, just like this conversation, where people hear it, you've got a number of different ways you can process me. I know that it can push some people one way, it can push other people another way. But I do know that it's just gonna be authentically who I am at all times. And the music itself is just a true embodiment of of that, and it's meant to like make me more like bring a more relatable way of my narrative. Because I could write a book, I'm like, I don't want to write my book till LIE finish a couple of other things and business like, I need to get over a couple more I want to do it, Like there's some other accomplishments that need to happen as an executive and a business owner that I want to accomplished before I get to.
Speaker 3: Write in a book.
Speaker 4: But when it comes to this music, this thing is like probably the closest thing that somebody will get to my truest narrative. So I'm probably gonna let it out sometime later on this year. But it's not the thing that's like the top of my priority list is like I'm raising cappling to what I want to be a billion dollar immersing technology company right now and serving people all around with my consulting firm. And really my I tell people I'm a technology rock star, like I have traveled the world on technology. I have had the opportunity to do all different types of things in this space. And my personna as a rapper is this guy who took technology to a place that I feel like that, like I'm in a selective group of people that come from our community that have done these types of things. And now I'm just more forthrighting about about what that story narrative is.
Speaker 2: Man's super I'm glad. I'm glad we talked about this.
Speaker 4: I'm glad playing on getting into that bad but you had me boy Camps fans, so I had to, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm glad. I'm glad you did.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Like we we ran this series and it's it's it was called a cusc yourself, and it was around the non technical things that make us who we are, right like you know, black technology, like oh yeah, you know, we've got people that are software engineers, CEOs, entrepreneurs. They got you know, DevOps engineers, database engineers, But what do you what else? What else do you do? You know, that's not the totality of who you are. That's just a part of it, right, So what else do you do? So my whole thing was cus see yourself. Was is promoting us to folks who are looking at technology and as as maybe a career path and they're unsure. They might be unsure, like, man, I don't know if I fit in. I don't know if I can do that. I don't know, because they you know, I like to do this, so I don't do I have to give this. No, you don't need to give that, Like this is this is who you are, and you bring that your full self to the table and share that with other people so you can help inspire other people. That's that's really what it's all about.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad you mentioned that, and I like to. I mentioned that all the time when I'm doing talks and everything like that. I mentioned he I used to wrap, and folks are like what you used to rap?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I used to get down and I still can if I felt like I still drop off. But it's just something like you know, so folks can see themselves and that's alienating us.
Speaker 3: Like because it's a thing where I grew up.
Speaker 4: I grew up extremely alien when I talked about the first part of my story and I said I wanted to get in check when I was thirteen fourteen, And do you know how many people I just had to stop talking about that passion. I had to stop talking to my community about it because I could feel it alienated me. I already knew that I was somewhere alienated because of how my was already operating and how much I desired more knowledge than maybe everybody else that I I don't want to say everybody, but like I was in the pursuit of knowledge in the way that I didn't see as many people actively pursuing it, so I could feel there was something different there. But I also knew that it kind of used to put me on this island. So I would have to do not even unattended, like I just used to do stuff that would make sure that my family my friends like know that like I'm.
Speaker 3: Still us, but I might just nigga a little bit like this.
Speaker 4: And the thing that's very intentional about my music, it's meant to like take that alienation factor that people look at people like Bill Gates. And the reason why I said those guys' names in the beginning not just because I'm trying to do a name drop. It's like, I know how people used to look at Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates and.
Speaker 3: Steve Jobs, and Steve Jobs.
Speaker 4: He didn't have it as bad as everybody else, but like a lot of these other guys were extremely alienated, Like you can see that people didn't humanize them in a certain kind of way. And Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates, they've been spending years rehumanizing their else to the rest of the world because they, like everybody in the world is looking at these guys like they're alienated. They're in a whole different plateau. And Eli Musz he he he made sure that you know, like I'm a real human, but I'm just gonna keep doing crazy stuff. And he lets it be known in the most disruptive way. So it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But you can't never confuse him for what Mark Zuckerberg used to be like five to maybe seven eight years ago, where people just used to look at him as like this thing that was like he's on his own little thing. Now it's like he in the mix of UFC. He's showing his family, his wife, He's showing like I'm a human just like everybody else, you know.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying. And that's one of the things that I'm truly intentional about.
Speaker 4: Like I know that especially coming from our community, Like I know how you think about how alienated they are. You just think how alienated, like and I know you've had to deal with similar things being in these spaces where it's like, na, I'm still of the same Yo, I'm the still same little Dennis that grew up in Saint Lewis that had to figure out how to go cut grass everywhere else that ultimately had to I found things that I was passionate about that maybe it was different from the people in my community, but like, remember, I'm still the same dude. Like, it ain't nothing that's too much different other than the fact that I got some more knowledge and experience in the space that everybody wasn't looking at it as accessible.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think alien is like one of the biggest things that we have to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've unfortunately had to do that with family as well, Like, but I distinctly remember a situation back when I first went to college. There was a guy seeing there that, you know, I used to play a lot of outdoor basketball and I've seen this guy who I who I who used to play on the outdoor course with us, And so he was like, oh, I didn't know. You knew if you went to the score, it's like yeah. He was like, what are you taking? I was like, computer network engineering? Why are you taking that? That was his response. And I was looking at him like what do you What do you mean by that? Why am I taking that? Like it was just so foreign just for him to see me another black deal to be taking engineering. And I was just like, because it's the future, what are you talking about? Why am I taking that? So yeah, I definitely I definitely understand that.
Speaker 4: That's so crazy that you say that, because I felt the same way when I told people I wanted to study computer science the whole time I was in.
Speaker 3: Atlant I mean in Saint Louis.
Speaker 4: The moment I got to Georgia check and I was telling people I'm studying elect computer engineering, they looked at me like it was almost like I was like you you get praised for being in that major in this environment, and it was just like a totally different world. It was like, oh my god, you're this, Oh you're doing that, and it was more like and I could just see the totally different. So that's when I understood the perspective is everything. Like I just realized that it's all about how you see the world and how you look at things because from one perspective you can see this it's something that's impossible. From another perspective, you see it's like some of the most admirable things you can do, and it's more about.
Speaker 3: Can you really complete the task? Can you really get it done.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you know, I definitely can get it done, you know what I'm saying. But that was more h it's dope to understand that now, just to hear from somebody else too, because it's a real thing. But I I feel like now we're close to being able to close that gap up because it's.
Speaker 3: Time for it.
Speaker 2: For me, I agree, what's next for you?
Speaker 4: I mean, the next thing is really the next twelve months, I'm going to be locked in on raising capital, doing a preceding seed round for on another world.
Speaker 3: Experiences.
Speaker 4: The next thing also with my consulting firm, which I don't My consulting firm is not something that takes all of my time. I have a team that kind of runs and manages a lot of stuff there with me, but ultimately it's to scale that as well. So I want to get more active in the public speaking.
Speaker 3: I need to.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that I have the opportunity this podcast with you, but I know right now there's a level of visibility that I didn't have in the process and the journey of me developing my skills and experience that I know I need to flip the switch for the visibility that I need. So I'm actually focused on doing stuff to actually be more visible and being more accessible to my community in a more tangible way.
Speaker 3: So that's what the consulting company is a vehicle for.
Speaker 4: And really just locked in on taking my experience to the next trajectory and becoming a type of executive that can be mentioned in the name with the great subf of people that have done amazing things in the tech industry and really doing the work to get there.
Speaker 3: So that's the next thing for me, and just doing the work that comes along with that.
Speaker 2: That's super dope, man. And before we get out of here, how can folks if they want to reach out to you? You know websites, social media handles, Yeah, give us all all right?
Speaker 4: So on Instagram, that's probably the place I most frequent I have with My handle is mister b i z n tech t ch I mean tch, but mister busin and tech is my Instagram handle. You can find me on LinkedIn, Dennis Campbell, I'm all. LinkedIn is probably one of my most You can kind of see the rolls of decks, the things that I've been through as a professional. And then I have my consulting company, DNY Enterprises dot com. If you're interested in kind of engaging with anything there. We help entrepreneurs and business owners of all types with all different types of projects, so we can kind of help almost anybody there. I'm also looking at expanding public speaking, so if you want to reach out for me, public speaking courses also stuff there. And then on Another World, literally our website is on another dot World, so basically everything on another World will be there. We also have a members platform for on Another World right now, so you can literally go in there sign up for early actions and kind of standing loop and everything on another world related because we will be doing a lot of stuff over the next few months as we get ready to roll up for our space of our spot will be opening up sometime this summer.
Speaker 3: So we're just in the process of doing the build up for all of that right now.
Speaker 2: And I'll put all that, you know, all those links in the show notes as well. Uh so folks can just you know, we go to the episode and click on those links. Man Dinnis, this has been super dope, man Like, from from an inspirational standpoint, it's been a pleasure, and it's been a pleasure just to hear your journey, to see where you're going to see that, you know, hear about the things that you've done. I have no doubt. I mean you're already you're already going there. I have no doubt you're going to be at the top, man. And once folks check out this episode, like I said, folks are going to reach out because you have a lot to offer, not just in the term you know, intact, but just from a business stand point, uh as well, Man, So, I you know, I really really enjoyed this, this this episode, and I wish you like the Mother the best. I'll definitely be reaching out. We got bigcoin coming up in uh in October, uh, I mean so yeah yeah, So you know we're gonna need speakers and all that stuff as well, so, uh, we definitely want to put you on a list for that, So you know, we'll be reaching out to you for sure.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the time Greg got this interview. It was mutual, man h