Speaker 1: You're listening to an Airwave Media podcast.
Speaker 2: A quick note before the show, I want to thank the listeners who've decided to support us on Patreon. We've crossed the one hundred supporter mark and that's awesome, and karenin and I thank you very much. Your support really helps us a lot. If we could get to five hundred supporters at a dollar a show, it would absolutely transform our lives. But we're humbled by any support and appreciate all of it. But if you love what we do and can afford to support the show financially, we hope you'll at least give us a review on iTunes or your favorite podcast service. It really helps us out. Thanks. Every ghost story has two ingredients, a ghost and a story. In Edinburgh, Scotland, there's a graveyard that has piled up stories for nearly twenty years of people experiencing odd things and receiving mysterious injuries. The locations known as the Greyfriars Kirkyard, and the ghost has been called the Mackenzie Poultrygeist, though it bears little resemblance to the Poultrygeist's common to parapsychology people tour in the kirkyard, a reported receiving strange cuts and bruises and experiencing many strange phenomena. So bundle up in your warm clothes and get ready to walk around in the foggy, cold and damp looking for ghosts in the kirkyard. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant hairy creature park Ape Park mat in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland, in a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Monsttal Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters.
Speaker 4: I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 2: In this episode, we'll be talking with Fred Fogerty, one of the tour guides for City of the Dead tours in Edinburgh. Fred was kind enough to talk with some very short notice and we had a wonderful time chatting with him. I think you'll find he's quite a storyteller. I suspect his tours would be a lot of fun. We did have more questions than we had time for us. We've continued our conversations via email after this chat, and I'll talk about that after the interview. Karen and I live a bit too far away to go investigate this case ourselves, but perhaps some of our listeners will be intrigued and go have a look. I think there's some interesting aspects to this story to have a look at, some on the ground and probably some in the library Monstertal. So, hey, Fred, we don't really know much about you, so this is all really quick, and we really appreciate your promptness in joining us and making time for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Could you give us a little bit of an intro for yourself, like who are you? Like a bio.
Speaker 5: Written down somewhere, but essentially.
Speaker 6: I can read it true your life, But essentially I work for a City of the Dead tours in Edinburgh in Scotland. We take tours into two quite remarkable locations, the first being the Comminats Prison, steeped in history, it's so important for Scottish history, and most importantly into the Black Mausoleum and we learn more about the Mackenzie poltergeist. That's fascinating phenomenon that for that, since nineteen ninety eight, has been known to violently and physically assort people in and around the Airy Graveyard. We also go into the south Bridge Vaults, part of Edinburgh's underground city, and we go into the southernmost section, is fairly undisturbed, one of the least least refurbished portions, and go on about the south Bridge entity and it's relevant.
Speaker 5: There's various guises.
Speaker 6: I have been doing that for over a decade, particularly with regards to the graveyard.
Speaker 5: Having a wonderful time.
Speaker 6: I've got quite an eclectic history of various things. I worked as a professional breakdown ser I've worked as a welfare advisor.
Speaker 5: I also work as a hypnotherapist.
Speaker 6: And that's the reason why I'm in Chicago at the moment and a similar time zone to yourself, studying with my friend and mentor learning about other than conscious communication and not psychology.
Speaker 5: So all of these things, what else is there to say? I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Alison, whom you spoke with recently, describes me as a colorful freak.
Speaker 5: It's just probably accurate.
Speaker 2: Well, you sound like you're going to be a really interesting discussion here. You're going to bring us a very interesting discussion, So that's awesome. So she also described you as a fairly skeptical person. So but maybe that's not how you view yourself? Where do you feel about like? I guess you'll talk about this as you go along, but how do you feel about her? These? Like what? I guess maybe what's the most compelling sort of paranormal things you've run into?
Speaker 6: So like it comes across a broad range of things. To be honest with you, Blake, I've either myself have walked out of this particular portion of the graveyard with three fairly deep gouges across my chest in a very typical pattern, and that after maybe seven years or so, six years of doing the tours, I felt nothing at the time.
Speaker 5: It's very common.
Speaker 6: I've experienced things where someone on my tour has seen something described to me what they've seen, and later on I've discovered that a friend of a friend and didn't make it to a particular portion of a tour because she saw, in her words, very very closely matched what this other person was describing, but from a different angle at a different place. And these two stories linked up so elegantly, like two cogs in a perfect machine.
Speaker 5: Uncanny. Yeah, I've walked out of them.
Speaker 6: Well, my first tour inside of his place, I experienced what people are supposed to describe as cold spots. But for me, it's not about the typical dropping temperature that people often describe. For me, it is more like an internal, like a visceral experience, like a like a real intense discomfort, like the kind of experience you might get it well from me personally, when I've walked into a place where a room or met somebody and absolutely did not feel safe. And it was my first ever tour, and I had eight customers with me, and the eight of us left only five minutes into a fifteen minute section of the tour in that particular location because we could not stand the experience.
Speaker 5: And yeah, no, we just left.
Speaker 6: We didn't do the scary stuff in there at all. That we didn't even get much into the scary stuff.
Speaker 5: We left.
Speaker 2: Well, if you felt scared, you you didn't really need to, right, Yeah, indeed.
Speaker 5: So it's just it's just really weird.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, these things for me are fascinating. But if you're interested, asked me the question about I miskeptic, what does that mean? Later on with my experiences, I'm very happy to talk about it until until you respalled off.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well we'll get to it. But I think you fit on a lot of topics that are going to be delved into deeper as we get into our question. So this is exciting.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I thought we'd start We'll go back to the beginning and talk about grief ries kirkyard in general. So kirkyard that's a Scottish term for churchyard exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we just used the woman in Scotts We've got kirk instead of church.
Speaker 2: Oh. Oh, I had a question to follow up question and I forgot to ask, which was how do you determine a cold spot when you're in Scotland? That was my joke I forgot. Oh, very good point.
Speaker 6: We run a we run a similar joke. Do you feel do you feel like a really cold sense in your ankles? It just really gets the set in from the skin starts to get deeper and deeper, and you start to get like a flesh like the goose bumps at the back of your legs and this discomfort that works its way up your your leg, up your calf right.
Speaker 5: What we call that it's a very technical term. It's a draft.
Speaker 1: And you are a hypnotherapist, not you the way the way you were describing it to sound it like a hypnotherapy script or something. So grayfries Cookyard. It's got a very long history. But can you give us an overview or if it's past.
Speaker 5: Sure, very very brief.
Speaker 6: Gray Friskyard is an extraordinary piece of Edinburgh itself. It sits in the southwestern corner of what used to be the Old Town and one of our very important structures runs along the western side of it, and in fact bisects the graveyard. Well it divides it up, and that is the flood in the wall. Now, the graveyard itself was we began use primarily as an important place of burial for the Gray Friars. I think there were Franciscan months months at the time, and that was in the early sixteen hundreds. Various other portions of the graveyard were donated to the church to be used as burial grounds, and the Covenant's Prison, which sits to the southernmost point of the graveyard and juts out quite prominently, was the last.
Speaker 5: Piece of ground given to the graveyard for burial. Prior to that, it had been used, as a name suggests, as a prison for these people known as the Cobinators, and they were I mean the history is fascinating.
Speaker 6: It's also absurdly complex, and I hope you'll forgive me for this, because I ditched history at the age of fourteen, because I couldn't make sense of it, like all this stuff about name, date, battle, who one who lost, in some other nonsense. I gave up history after I got past the Romans and chariots. I enjoyed the Romans, the Egyptians, a bit of medieval stuff, and the dinosaurs, and that was what I enjoyed.
Speaker 5: So I ditched it as soon as I could.
Speaker 6: And it's only by coming back to this company, this City of the Dead Tours, and working really just an administration briefly, that I discovered how extraordinary history is when when you have these these amazing people by colleagues I work with and the people who came before me as well. I've just been the most extraordinary storytellers. Now there's a script for the tours, no one's really seen it. Everyone does their own research the tours. They're they're most extraordinary storytellers and amateur historians, and everything about it brings the history to life, brings the location to life, and it makes it relevant to us right now far as.
Speaker 2: Well human narrative, right, I mean it's about people at that point, right, not just dates and names.
Speaker 5: Yes, and that's that's a lovely way to describe it. I think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I got working there, I discovered much more about it.
Speaker 5: It got more into it.
Speaker 6: So what I'm saying is that the history of the Cobinanchers themselves, these people who in the Graveyard itself in sixteen hundred and thirty seven, right, Charles the First wanted to unite the disparate churches being in the Scotland, and Scotland would have to change your style and worship in the English way, and being forced into the English way was I believe a step too close to Catholicism. And they absolutely, they just repelled. In sixteen thirty eight they drew up a lengthy document entitled locally Colloquially is a National Covenant with God in the Graveyard itself the went it was a lengthy document. If I butcher it for you, it goes along the lines of Charles, You're okay as a king, You're not better than God, and we reserve the right to worship God any style we see fit. I think that's beating want to learn from one of my colleagues, my first every tour. But essentially essentially that's that's what the relevant portion it comes down there, And it was an extraordinary move.
Speaker 5: It really was an extraordinary move.
Speaker 6: This National Covenant that they signed is both I think one of like a real early example of the church and state being separated in an illegal document. Right, But it's also like the ramifications of this thing are far reached, so the point where the portions of it, and it is possibly subjective, it certainly looks like it to me, portions of it were taken nearly rebatum and used as a foundation for things like the American Constitution.
Speaker 5: Right. It's the impact that this document has from the mid sixteen hundreds that we still feel today. It's extraordinary.
Speaker 6: So we cross some time here, and it's point Charles the second is on the throne. The covenantal armies, the armies of people who who support this document that's brought this this notion.
Speaker 2: You know, for the American audience is how long are the terms of office for these kings? How long are they elected for.
Speaker 1: Just four years?
Speaker 2: The the the the administration is is as long as the king lives, right, So that's or until there's a battle right.
Speaker 6: Until they advocate or until I mean, there's a lot of politics that goes on with a lot of the royals behind the scenes.
Speaker 5: And yeah, like so history is not my strong point.
Speaker 6: There's so much there that you do well to get a history and on to talk about it because it is.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, long mexxed up story.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting. It is interesting, so keep going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, where was I? I have no idea A.
Speaker 6: Second, I think, so these these people, what ends up being formed is this covenant army is known as people who support this, this national Covenant. They end up going heading down to England fighting for their rights. There's loads more with this. This is really just the butchering of the history to get us to where we need to be. The armies don't do well, right, they do remarkably well. They're given back this very basic right. I mean, the notion that there are people can rise up and commit treason in essence and that's exactly what it is, and do so well that they are given back this very basic right and they're permitted to return home. I mean, that's that's extraordinary to me, that notion they can all commit treason. There's extra pressure placed on the king from a rebellion at the same time, and it just essentially in essence is okay, whatever you want to leave me alone. I would obviously paraphrase for you there because I wasn't there. And they return, Sorry that's not accurate. Some of them return, but there is still a chance to go on and take the flight to the English. I mean, the history of England and Scotland has rarely been amicable at best, so at this point here the fortunes of the combinations change quite rapidly, and eventually there are.
Speaker 5: Only a handful of these people remaining.
Speaker 6: Now depending on where you look, it's either four hundred or twelve hundred people.
Speaker 5: They are marched.
Speaker 6: Back up through England into Scotland, allegedly with no shoes on their feet, and said it's a long way, right, it's not an easy walk either, right, there's no there's no nice paths. Marched all the way up, yeah, right, and then marched all the way up with shoes their feed to Edinburgh. And this man George McKenzie, who is at this point the King's advocate, so he's the he starts off some readays I keep getting this suse, I keep telling people he starts off as a lawyer, that starts off life as a lawyer. In fact, he starts off as a child. He becomes a lawyer later.
Speaker 1: On lawyers children.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good.
Speaker 2: Question, pause for laugh. No, that's good, that's good.
Speaker 6: So he he is. So he's a king's representative in Edinburgh. Right, And the story of this man is complex as well, Like it's it's always easy for us to it as people, I guess, as humans, to create an easy narrative to explain stuff and to give people an idea of things.
Speaker 5: But in fact I think it's more complex.
Speaker 6: So he is tasked in Charles with the idea of creating a statement with these prisoners that is so dramatic.
Speaker 5: That it is so effective that it will stop any kind of uprising from happening again.
Speaker 6: Right now, bear in mind, at the time Edinburgh streets are allegedly an inch deep in everyone's sewage, we regularly turn to a torture, public humiliation, execution, witch hunting.
Speaker 5: Hey, like life is cheap.
Speaker 6: The figure that is thrown around is that for a portion of our history there were I'm not sure if its ability, but the story goes that are up to sorry, in excess of eighty thousand people at its peak in a space that is two thirds of a mile by quarter. You can imagine too, like eighty thousand, Like even if the number is only slightly accurate, we're still left with a staggering number of people in an extraordinarily small portion of space, living in the kind of poverty, not poverty, and well, poverty exists there as well, as we'll get into, perhaps in the South Bridge boards.
Speaker 2: Being treated only marginally better than passengers on an airline these days.
Speaker 5: Or.
Speaker 6: Being dragged down the aisle broken nose and concussion of whatever happened. Yeah, as I give you an idea of just how far this has to go in order to to create a statement that will.
Speaker 2: To stick out in this crowd as a bad guy making things bad for people, you got to be bad at least, or.
Speaker 6: At least just the statement of what happens if you commit I mean, that's the standout part.
Speaker 5: To give you some idea of.
Speaker 6: Like, this is more complex, right, So it's easy. It's easy for us to vilify George McKenzie, and it is absolutely worth remembering the one man's terrorist is another man's champion.
Speaker 5: That's true, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: So according went to I haven't done it for search myself is what I get from a colleague of mine. He points out that George McKenzie wrote early treatises, and bear in mind this is we're going back to the late sixteen hundreds, right, so this is really really progressive. George mackenzie writes early Treatises on the notion that because essentially just opposite the cominators, prison used to be like a bedlo play, a bedloin place, a place for people who are mentally ill, for people who are committing crime stuff. At this they we we at various stages. It transformed it's face into various things over there. So like at the time, prevailing notion was if you were in these places, it was because that was essentially your destiny, right, that's the kind of person you were.
Speaker 5: And people born into poverty are there because they're.
Speaker 6: Because they're worth nothing, right, they're they're they're mentally deficient whatever, they're not as they're not as smart, they're not as godly, they're not as wonderful as as the people in the upper classes. And here is this exactly right, And here is this man, who is this person who is writing a treatise at the time from position of authority so extrawdinary authority in the capital city, suggesting the notion and I'm not just positing it but actually doing the best to fight its corner that if you ended up, say, like criminals, things like this, maybe they're there as a product of society, of their upbringing, of the choices presented to them, and they could be educated out of it.
Speaker 2: The nature versus never progressive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, exactly, right through the late sixteen hundreds. That is mind blowing. And yet this same man is also in a position where he is left with these the four hundred and twelve hundred people, he will committed treason, and regardless of how he feels about it, regardless of how much we have vilified him in following years. He took his twelve hundred people of Point, people who were essentially here, rose to the locals and to much of Scotland, and he's got to make a spectacle of them that will deter any and all treason or substitute all the rest of his stuff in perpetuity. In a world, in a place, in a tiny city where we regularly turn our thoughts to a whole bunch of cruel, dramatic, bloodthirsty things living inches deep in sewage. Right, this is this is what he's going to contend with. So this man he comes, he takes these people, and he places him in the space at the back of the graveyard. And it's not consecrated, it's not burial ground at this point. It's the last piece to be given to the to the graveyard. After this he lines him up. Now the space of it. Let me think how far it might be. Describe to you. I'm rubbish to estimate in distance. Let's say it is. Let's say it to a couple of hundred feet, Okay, I suspect the information is there online as part of the graveyard's documents.
Speaker 5: These days.
Speaker 6: If you were to walk up to the gates and look down into this narrow strip, okay, you see a space that is maybe twenty feet in width, lined on either side back from there with these gorgeous mausoleums. And they're lovely, right, they're they're beautiful, they're foreboding, but they are also places that speak of the history of lineage, of all sorts of amazing things. I mean, it's such a place for us. Do we even have a plaque erected in memory of James Hutting, the father of modern geology? Okay, so it's not just a place that is squirreled off. It's a place that is even now fairly freshen memory, because it's quite a fresh plaque, even though nobody's inburied in the graveyard for over one hundred years. Because it is, it is, and if you can imagine this for a moment, they can carry this. This graveyard is full quite literally to bursting point. So you did, and that is how it gets its name exactly. Yes, So down we gooful wars Liams on the side and maybe a couple of hundred feet in length. And these four hundred and twelve hundred people are taken into this area, lined up from the back. They're forced kicked down into the ground, and they're forced to lie there through five months of a brutal Scottish winter. Right now, we give them only the food, water and shelter required just to really prolong this suffering and just to really drag it out, so that as many people as possible can endure five months of this. So here they lie, right, I mean they're really I mean they're suffering. Is quite extraordinary. They are, yeah, I mean if they moved or complained, they're taken out and shots allegedly by muskets. There are still holes in the wall outside from where the musket balls like puncturing their bodies and shatter their rocks behind. It is it is quite extraordinary now, they said it.
Speaker 5: For the five months.
Speaker 6: If anybody moves or can play, it said, they're taken out to the front and executed. If they try to escape, soldiers positioned around the wall just shot them. Very few of these common a something here is the thing, these common answers, these people who support their things through prisoners here, they were officially free to leave any time that they wished to do so, Okay, all they had to do is to swear fealty to the king worship in his style, and very few of them did. Now, there may be a whole bunch of reasons for this. Some of them, well, what life is them? Is there for them outside of those walls if they go back to their families, their friends, their loved ones, having renounced their faith, their beliefs, and gone.
Speaker 5: Against everything they stood for. HM. Part of it is they I.
Speaker 6: Mean they were willing to die already, they were willing to join an army sign up, and quite willing to accept their fate for their beliefs.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we can see why why George McKenzie is known as Bloody George.
Speaker 6: Yes, he's got a head of a reputation, and part of that is are justified. And I think I've already given you an indication that the story is much more complex than this, and part of this notion of joined the easy narrative and then it gets lost in history as well. It's quite prevalent, I think, in quite an interesting, quite interesting phenomenon.
Speaker 2: So we'll we'll have to put I mean, we'll put links to some some of the research about McKenzie and the history of this on the website. Obviously people could just google it. But I guess we wouldn't be talking about this story if there wasn't a supernatural or monstrous aspect to it. Now, the nature of this is somewhat monstrous in general, but this falls into an interesting category because on Monster Talk we talk about ghosts sometimes, and we've talked about poultry geist. But you know, I'd always heard about the Greyfriar Kirkyard as just that I heard it called the Gray Friar Kirkyard Ghost, and it wasn't until I talked to Alison I realized that it was being known as the Mackenzie poultrgeist. And so let's talk about that a little bit if you don't mind. Of course, where where does the supernatural aspect come into this? Like, where where does it become a scary story and not just a pretty graveyard?
Speaker 5: Sure so Mackenzie's tomb itself lies maybe seventy feet from this portion of the graveyard. Now, for a very very long time, hundreds of years, the nearby school children have often run into his tomb, and depending on which version you hear, it's usually on the lines of McKenzie, Mackenzie, come out and get me. It's been favored that his coffin. So we can get to the story in a minute.
Speaker 6: But essentially, the tomb is quite unique. The musleium is quite unique in that it exists over a minimum two levels. So there is a sub there's sub chamber beneath it which contains his coffin, his wife's coffin, and a third coffin that belongs to a lady placed in there quite some time after the tomb was shut. No one has any idea who she is, but there is no record of her being placed in there, and yet.
Speaker 5: To be placed in there. She must have been.
Speaker 6: Important, right because this tomb is the grandest mausoleum in the graveyard, So it's unusual to his coffin in particular, has been his legendary, his legend has it has been known to move around ever since his burial there at various points throughout the day and night when people walk past me, didn't walk past. So in nineteen ninety eight, that stops. In nineteen ninety eight, as the story goes, a homeless guy is making his way through Grayfrier's graveyard. He he's seeking shelter from the Scottish night in the weather, and he breaks in from the back of Mackenzie's too. Now there is indeed like a brick that used to be there, that was I mean, it's potentially Mackenzie buried there. I think it's late, it's only seventeen hundreds. I think in particular, mortar is old. It's old, it's rotten, and the brick grumbles inside. So his homeless guy squeezes his narrow maciated body through, and he notices fairly quickly, as you would do if you were to look through the gates just now, that there is a metal grill set in the floor, and now these days it has been sealed properly so that you can't get through because of the breakings that they've had in the most recent set of years.
Speaker 5: Prior to that, it wasn't even locked.
Speaker 6: And the homeless guy makes his way down this steep stone flight of stairs, finds himself in this subchamber and proceeds to attempt to hammer into the mint Mackenzie's coughin itself with a stone slab that he has procured from the floor beneath his feet, But the floor beneath that slab is not solid, and he falls into an additional burial pit the no one was aware of below it now as he freaks out on the hollows and screams and shouts, our caretaker Graham, who I have met, is lovely. He is making his way through the graveyard, and he is categorically not thrilled at the prospect of being outside in a typical Scottish night, in a legendary haunted graveyard with a loud, crashing noise coming from the legendarily haunted tomb of George Bloody Mackenzie right, and as he looks in through the door of the mausoleum, he sees that this grille in the floor is open for the first time in living history. Now that's not an attractive prospect, I think for this man, but it's still it's still absolutely his job to go and work out what it is to cut some of the story short for you.
Speaker 5: So there's something still with people to sign up to in a tourist. Uh.
Speaker 6: He gets downstairs to discover to discover that the homeless guy is emerging from this undisclosed, formally unknown burial pits beneath, shuffling in the dark, making his way towards him, and the two share what I think we can describe it as a moment. So whatever happens for these two men in this place, like, we have no idea, I think it's fair to say, like, what what this thing, what this comorant is There's lots of thoughts behind it or what specifically creates it, So we call it a poltergeist. And back when, back when we start, that seemed to make sense. It's Certainly, it's much easier for us to give you the title of a poltergeist than for us to give you all the little details, all the minutiae that we've covered in the last nineteen now nineteen years of researching this, of taking tour groups, through finding out what awful stuff happens to them, and finding some way of encouraging them to come back to our office and put pen to paper.
Speaker 1: So do all of the stories of paranormal activity go back to this incident or do they go back further?
Speaker 6: So like, certainly there are a bunch of theories about this. Right, So does I understand it because I only started back in the early two thousands. Right, the tomb is desecrated in nineteen ninety eight by this homeless guy. And something about this place, whether it's a desecration of the burial Pipperannie or Mackenzie's two or what these two men share together, the graveyard already has a reputation for being a thin place. If you look through its history, it is extraordinary how much of the fiction that we know of even today has been birthed in this particular place.
Speaker 5: It's remarkable.
Speaker 2: Just quickly, I know we've mentioned thin places before. But that's could you describe what that means?
Speaker 6: So it's described to me it's just a place where the veil between or the place between this world and the next is very thin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we sometimes it's also called liminal spaces as well. I think.
Speaker 6: Okay, so yeah, that's what so we don't like it is easier for us to tell you that it's a poltergeist and for people, because people generally have an appreciation for what a polter geist is or what it implies, then for us to get super technical and described to people all the little things that have happened to us to believe this thing is truly unique. There is nothing else like this on the planet. And we've been doing this for a long long time. And because we have sole access with permission from the Council to go into this location, if anything happens to people in there, it happens to people on our tours.
Speaker 5: Now. A lot of stuff goes unmentioned for a variety of reasons because maybe they feel awkward, a bit embarrassed about their experience, maybe they dismiss it as being psychosomatic, maybe they just maybe they quite often they're pretty jarred by the experience. I don't really know what to make of it until quite some time later.
Speaker 1: So do you get people to sign Sorry to interrupt, but do you get people to sign disclaimers when they attend the tours to let them know that anything can happen?
Speaker 5: There's no disclaimer.
Speaker 6: It quite clearly says on our web pages, and it quite clearly says on our sign and we make a disclaimer at the beginning of each of our tours. Are the kind of things that have happened, regardless people's belief systems, to people on our tours, and that the tours can cause genuine mental distress, and.
Speaker 5: They can, they really can.
Speaker 6: People often ask me what the most terrifying thing is that I've seen or experienced than my tours, And it's not what you might think. In fact, it was terrifying precisely because it didn't happen to me on two occasions my tours.
Speaker 5: And this is very rare. This is two occasions in over ten years.
Speaker 6: Okay, I've had females on my tour room and my tour who have a couple of minutes in maybe five seven minutes in collapsed. Now that's not unusual that happens every now and again on our tours. But once they collapsed, they started well, they were unconscious when they came round, they started convulsing, and that will they last for maybe sort of a minute and a half two minutes, and then they go unconscious again and that maybe last for a minute and a half or so.
Speaker 5: Then they come around start compassing again.
Speaker 6: This like, we got them out of the graveyard as best I could whilst they were like myself and some people of the tour, we encourage them out of the graveyard once we got to the gates of the prison itself, which is very unusual normally if people experience something untowards or uncomfortable once they leave the gate of the pretty the mores of the Black Mares Alium, which I think, for Clarity's sake, I should make clear here that McKenzie's tomb is not the.
Speaker 5: Black Mares Alium.
Speaker 6: Over the last over the last couple of years, there have been a number of tour groups starting up who have just been on our tour once stolen our stuff and then and then and then just just yeah, just just made up the rest right and keep saying nonsense, which which is I don't know, I guess how how history has always happened. I suspect, right, it's just find it curious that it's happening now when the authorities are still here.
Speaker 5: We're the authorities.
Speaker 6: So so the Black Moors liam exists within the Cobinants Prison. It's about halfway down the left hand side in one of the early tombs some mausoleums that are in fact fully enclosed. That appears to be where this thing has made its nest for the last So nineteen ninety nine was when it was when it's sort of really focused in their one particular area. So that makes it nineteen years, I doesn't it? Yes, Okay, so last nineteen.
Speaker 5: Years inditionally around the place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it initially moved around the place from to tomb in there, but really it has really started to focus in the last fifteen odd years, most definitely in that particular two McKenzie's tomb lines around one hundred feet away from the entrance.
Speaker 5: His tomb. Rarely anything happens there, very very rarely.
Speaker 6: In fact, I was in the habit of saying that nothing happens there at all anymore. But in fact, on one of my tours about three months ago, we had a group of six customers, myself just looking ato Mackenzie's tomb, and what is thing is that each of us experienced the very cold pressure of like a like a cold finger sideways on something like this, pressing against the back of our necks, right at the base of them. Now, what's interesting is like, yeah, we all got this sensation without anybody mentioning it, you know, like we all went through it and then said, man, that was weird. I had this cold sensation. Yes, me too, Yes, me too, that was weird. All right, very very cool. So where were we bake? That's right, And we're the worst thing that's happened to me, these two guys.
Speaker 5: We're getting past the gage.
Speaker 2: Well quickly, I just want to clarify. So you're saying the black mausoleum is not McKenzie's tomb. Exactly whose tomb is?
Speaker 5: It belongs to the Dundas family, that.
Speaker 2: Is So it's like so right, it's all over the internet like that they think it's the same thing. That's so interesting, Okay, yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: So you have the scoop right here.
Speaker 6: This is not the same thing, and yeah, it's it's just it's really interesting that there have been other tour companies coming by who have rewritten history, even even as it's even if it's happening, it's being rewritten.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, let's be honest, Google could rewrite history if they sit, They could completely change when people believe, way faster than the classes of America, right, all the all.
Speaker 1: Absolutely exactly.
Speaker 6: Yes, So yeah, it's just really and I've just cast my mind back. This is what I love about the tour is the things that it teaches us about ourselves, what it is to be human in society and culture.
Speaker 5: Things like this, we.
Speaker 6: Look back, who's to say that what we have now is our appreciation of history was not rewritten as it happened as well.
Speaker 5: I mean, like here we still have things that are.
Speaker 6: Like there's so much knowledge available, information available, at least you can if you have the mind to make an informed decision, whereas even back one hundred years, that's not really.
Speaker 5: You know, that's not really a thing that happens.
Speaker 6: If you think about the gold standards of things like the Encyclopedia Britannica, that's still one persons or like a collection of people's idea as to what happened. They've just made they put together a narrative for us, they said, here you go. So I find it really interesting that we still face these same problems, and it it puts into perspective our history as a storytellers, as history keepers, as humans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I guess they used to say, what a history is written by the winners, and I think now history is written by the church engine, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the people who shout the louder, the loudest, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, did he rail the conversation?
Speaker 6: Remember where we are, So once you reach a gate to the prison, these two women start to come rounds and we and we get them out of the gradeyard. I'm not getting any kind of statement from them, right, you just have to take it on the authority of meet I guess, because there's no way I'm encouraging someone to sit down and write out their experience given what they've just been through. And there is nothing like we have trained them first aid, right, but there is there is very little in my first aid training that can't prepare one for something like this. And there's nothing quite like that sense of powerlessness on the unknown, and it happening extemporaneously. I mean, you say it's you can say it's psychosomatic. Well that's possible, but it's not me that suggested it, right, it's not a power of suggestion that's got there, not from me anyways, There's there was nothing in our tool literature that would encourage such a thing. It's yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just surprising and very very cool, I guess.
Speaker 1: And so they were okay in the end, because I'd be worried that that had an epileptic fad or.
Speaker 6: Something I have not seen anyone experienced like that before or since. Does not experience of epilepsy or seizures, and maybe it does something more more trainers have more experience. But once they're outside, they find there was no gnashing of the teeth, there was no they yeah, and they walked out of the graveyard. So to my knowledge, they had an experience and left right having had quite an experience, but they left physics.
Speaker 1: Does it seem like all of the paranormal activity cases or experiences that people have had are attributed to George Bloody mackenzie or are there other reputed posts on the grounds?
Speaker 5: I mean there are there are. There are occasionally infrequently sightings of various things like like the new typical spectral white lady going around the place, and children as well. They're not so common. They're not so common. This stuff largely happens inside of this one particular tumb at this point.
Speaker 2: So why is it called the black Mausoleum.
Speaker 6: It's so because I wasn't there to start. I can give you a hearsay for that one. It allegedly starts before the tours even begin, like just because of what was going on when you when you get there, come on a tour, when you get to stand outside of it too, it's immediately obvious it is a small dark to a small dark mausoleum.
Speaker 5: It's not particularly large. It will hold maybe one hundred something people if you're pushed in. It's about it the light, Like it's something about the quality of the light in there. It just it just seems like dark. I describe if you better than that, I'm afraid it just seems.
Speaker 2: Do you actually go inside it during the tours, yes.
Speaker 6: Sir, indeed, yeah, okay, So that's how that's how we experience it, and that's how we know that the stuff that happens in this click of the Black Mausoleum happens not tours. We do our best to keep accounts acknowledgments of also all the stuff that happens within and around it.
Speaker 1: So you say sorry, didn't you say to to us just when we were communicating with you? Well, to begin with, you said that there have been over five hundred documented cases or experience.
Speaker 5: So it's curious.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's an easy number to claim. The answer is there have been substantially more than that. We were claiming over four hundred shortly after I started being a tour guide, and that was over ten years ago, So for at least eight years we've had a well and excess of that.
Speaker 2: How many tours do you run a week At the moment, we.
Speaker 5: Run about five a night.
Speaker 6: One of those does not go through the graveyard, though it goes specifically through the south Bridge bolts themselves got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but the three out of three of the five of them end up inside is Black mausoleum.
Speaker 6: And like, I wish we could claim a higher rate than this of violent attacks, but in fact, I don't think we'd be able to get it past our health and safety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want anybody to get hurt, I mean, but I mean, you're doing what thirty five a week times fifty two, that's a lot tour. How many people go on a tour?
Speaker 6: Oh, so the current tour cap set where the council is thirty five, and we'll run with a minimum of a roundabout sort of somewhere between two and eight, depending on the composition of the group and the time of the tour.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So, I know this is your primary job is to take people on tours, not to do statistics. But I was curious, do you keep track of how many people report versus how many don't report having incidents to get some sort of statistical information about what percentage people experience weird things.
Speaker 6: The answer is that we unfortunately have nothing formal in place, so we have a book of accounts at the end of people are welcome to come and fill out. Of course they're welcome to do so, and if somebody experiences something we will endeavor. We will encourage them to fill this book out with their experience sign date. It give us some way of contact in them, so that so that everyone knows that we're not cheating.
Speaker 5: Sure, because it's important to us. Did it comes of somebody else?
Speaker 6: But if we can make if we can make this stuff up I'm pretty sure we would be hilarious.
Speaker 2: But you know, I mean, to be fair, it's injuries and and you've got pictures of people, you know, posting scratches in what looked like stuff. So yeah, I mean, for all the I mean, it's interesting from a paranormal perspective, but somebody they're being injured, right, So yeah, it's curious and somewhat scary.
Speaker 6: So there are a bunch of ways that we find it tricky, because so we have this book as a way of keeping track of things. Formally, quite often the guides will be approached by people after the tour of people who say, hey, this really weird thing happened, or hey, look at these scratches, or I felt this cold sensation or I felt like I was being pushed or choked or punched or kicked, or like a burning sensation or scratching.
Speaker 5: Whatever, whatever it is, right, whole bunch of things.
Speaker 6: And oftentimes that's just the words in the ear of the guide at the end, and we we tell each other. But because it's quite a solitary job, as you can imagine, we have a little a little office in the in the graveyard full of full of the books, of actually pretty cool stuff I think, as well as well as some nonsense like old scary movies.
Speaker 1: We love that we've got to come and visit.
Speaker 2: Yeah along, well.
Speaker 5: Yeah it'd be great one day.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I mean, like the actual communication between us doesn't doesn't happen very much. We we've been doing it for so long and these things happened so regularly that we just just don't pass the information on.
Speaker 2: What about your guides themselves, I mean, you guys seems like you would be exposed to this more than anybody if you guys had any trouble.
Speaker 6: We have a bunch of trouble happening, right, So, I mean in terms of our experience there, like some of my colleagues have been just gets randomly strangled by their scars. They somehow when the when the gate was being replaced and there was a different kind of door and lock and there two of them got locked in somehow from the gate the locks on the outside. Right, we get show my scars, like I've walked out of there with these three gouges down my chest, experienced the cold spots. Well it's the guy's experience something. They'll just feel really really uncomfortable but we just take it in our stride. I mean, it's part part of the job is what keeps us coming back. You're either like, if you don't like it, don't do the job.
Speaker 2: Right. Have you had anybody quit out of fear?
Speaker 5: No? No is the answer.
Speaker 2: It's almost like it's self selecting you. People wouldn't take the job if they're afraid, right, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, yeah, exactly, yes. I mean you've got to be a bit pretty quirky. I'm curious to take this kind of thing up. The bits where we do have concerns is that previously, up until gosh, I don't you know, for an official picku, I'm going to say ten years for arguments, say ten years ago. So the gates were closed at night the graveyard itself, which meant it was relatively safe. Now the council refuses to have the gates close. What that means is that sometimes they're unfortunately repurposed for illegal activities. And also Edinburgh has, okay, it has a homeless problems, as many many cities and places do, and the tombs, when they're left open and thride an opportunity for someone who really needs some kind of shelter to get a break, and sometimes that comes with a commensurate with mental health concerns, And oftentimes the most dangerous thing in the graveyard is not what lies in the prison itself in the Black Marsleum, but comes from the human factor.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, you do you so? Uh sorry, caring you go sorry.
Speaker 5: If you have a question.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean we're kind of coming to drawing to a close soon, So I was just going to ask a change topic just slightly, just to say that has got quite a few famous residents, but one of the most famous residents is a dog. So could you toss a little bit about the break fries Bobby? And is he believed to haunt the cemetery?
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, So do you know what The answer is? No, not until recently when a tour company started telling people that he was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so's he's not believed to haunt the place. My manager is an extraordinary woman instrument. She does so much of the primary research. It's so interesting, especially given I think your chat with Alison last time round and people just kind of reading blogs and stuff like this and taking things at face value. She and she goes right and she loves nothing more than getting into the archives and pulling out bundles of stuff that are hundreds of years old and no one's looked at since they were first written or done up in a beautiful little ribbon, and opening them up and finding out what people thought in the seventeen hundreds.
Speaker 5: Things like this. Really interesting stuff comes out of it.
Speaker 6: And one of the things she's been looking up researching is the history of Bobby now Greyfriars. Bobby used to be the reason why Grayfriars was famous, and people traveled on a near pilgrimage from the entire globe to pay their respects to him. So if you come in through the main gate of Grayfriars, it's a little cobbled entrance, a little bit of tarmac, and then directly between you and the kirk is it opens up. The graveyard spreads out to the sides, but you're directly in front of you. In between you and the kirk is a shiny new headstone dedicated to Bobby, erected by the American Dog Love and Dog Lovers, I think American Lovers and Bobby's Society, something like this, I forget. So it's placed there, He's not buried there, it's been believed that he was buried just outside the walls in the streets, because dogs are still not allowed in a human graveyard.
Speaker 5: Man, I think the answers reasons for that are are pretty self evident.
Speaker 2: It's because nobody's to walk them.
Speaker 5: Is that I love the bones so in there. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, in fact, the documentation, like the original document of the newspaper ports things like this, showed that he was buried in a flower pot, a flower bed, sorry, and a flower bed somewhere very close to that side of the graveyard. So it's highly likely that he in fact existed. He was noted in the papers before his death, before he got super famous, and it's not that he was. Yeah, he was buried in a flower bed near the church.
Speaker 2: What was he famous for?
Speaker 6: So he was famous for a living on his master's grave for fourteen years the premises his master turns up.
Speaker 5: And let me preface it with this.
Speaker 6: There are as many different stories of Bobby as there are people writing stories.
Speaker 5: About Bobby, right.
Speaker 1: There are a few stories like this across the globe too, of similar stories.
Speaker 5: Yeah indeed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I mean it's just been like everybody who has a book to write about Bobby comes out with a new set of facts and then rewrites the story of Bobby. So in one version he's owned by a policeman and another version he's owned by a shepherd.
Speaker 5: Is it's a bit all over the shop.
Speaker 6: So yeah, Like the story is that he lives in his master's grave for fourteen years, such as his loyalty and devotion from a puppy through to very very old age, and the people of Edinburgh they love him, for sure, they absolutely love him. The legend goes that he's given the keys to the city for his loyalty and devotion, never mind that he's got no posable thumb to use it with. Also, apparently that means we gave the right to vote to a dog, like some considerable time before we would give it to a woman.
Speaker 5: It's really pe juliar.
Speaker 1: So this was the nineteenth century when he died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's one of these dogs that's alleged to have come to the grave of his master after his master dies, stays.
Speaker 6: There, right, he's so loyal and devoted exactly, Yes, yes, I mean it is like various different stories say that maybe he was replaced at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Skippy the Kangaroo.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, yes, I'm especially fine to that. There's an incident a variant of this in the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, where basically the whole thing is the dog's loyal but he's not that loyal, but they put the tombstone down on his tail so he can't leave.
Speaker 1: That explained. It's a charming story anyway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he used me where the graveyard is famous and now, which turns out that the bulk of tourism is because.
Speaker 5: Of Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: Harry Potter, Yeah indeed, yeah, why why.
Speaker 5: So I sent a bit of a Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: Fan in you a bit, a bit a bit. Just don't muggle me. I'm just saying.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 6: The behind the school, behind the Coveinages prison, the portion of the graveyard is a large castle like school called Harriet's Believes, been inspiration for Hogwarts round in the rear, the westernmost portion of the graveyard lies the tomb of Sorry, the headstone and burial place of he should not be.
Speaker 5: Named Thomas Riddle. There we go. Really wow, Moody is also in.
Speaker 6: There, somewhere along the flodden wall. William McGonagall, officially the world's worst poet he is also got a bath from there, along with a piece of his extraordinary poetry that you'll never get out of your brain once you've read it.
Speaker 2: Wow. So does the Hogwarts Express have a stop at Edinburgh.
Speaker 5: That I do not know?
Speaker 1: Gosh, it's famous for lots of different reasons.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, indeed, so can I bring us to this? So earlier on you asked about skepticism in your skepticisms in your name here as well. I find it very interesting. So for example this, people often ask me if I believe in.
Speaker 6: A paranormal, in ghosts, things like this, especially given the nature of what I do, and I find it a tricky question to answer.
Speaker 5: What I've observed is this that.
Speaker 6: When people experience something, either in the south Bridgeables or in the Black Mausoleum inside of this prison area, they really experienced something. What you attribute it to is entirely like a separate matter. They really experienced something. And I think people can be remarkably unkind and disingenuous when they say to people, well, you're talking nonsense, because there's no such things, so it must be in your head, right, These people have genuinely experienced something. These people were making no effort to find out what that experience was, and no effort to find out what the mechanism behind it is. Really dismissive, I think, is what I'm looking for and what happens people when they have their belief systems challenged, and when they have their experience dismissed. We'll lose a little piece of ourselves in the process, lose our sense of self when we feel diminished like that, and it immediately gets our backup right immediately. It just creates some distance. People get all hostile about it, and I think, like the guy I've been studying, this wonderful hypnotist from the last century, Dave Dobson, fascinating man. Here's what a wonderful way of talking about belief systems. He says, you can tell a belief system, but when you bump up against it, I think a courser experience. If anyone who's paid attention outside of themselves will appreciate that sentiment, Especially if you're in the business of talking to people about the paranormal.
Speaker 5: And like that, people just clamp down and stuff. The same thing goes for.
Speaker 6: People from the other side, people who are believers when they experience something weird in these places and they say, oh, it's a ghost or para poulter geist or whatever. They're blaming it on right, without any notion of the mechanism of how it happens, without any any evidence, and that's what's happening.
Speaker 5: Does that make sense to you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like if they've got sprens of a table here, then then all they've done is just again stated a belief system and they've asked everybody else to take it on faith, and like it might still be something truly bizarre and paranormal. But now we have no room for a discussion because we've got two groups of people who are just stating how they feel about something and they believes, and all this rich space in the middle for discussion. Like, from what I appreciate, I think might've listened to your right that you're doing your best to inhabit right there in the middle. That for me is lost when these two camps of people just come straight at it with with the blanket statement it was this without any any any foundation to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've set up shopping a mindfield. It's not really why.
Speaker 5: I think it's a great place to be.
Speaker 6: I think like when did feel uncomfortable end up being so bad, right, Like, it's going to be uncomfortable if you don't know stuff people. I think we've already discussed this that people love the easy narrative. It seems so humand because it's tricky for us to hold these competing notions in our body and in our mind.
Speaker 5: But that's that's where real value is. That's where we get to learn new stuff.
Speaker 6: That's where progress and growth are, right, And it's going to feel uncomfortable, of course it is. Yeah, that we certainly nature progress and growth.
Speaker 2: It's the whole thing that we call it the search for cognitive closure. Right you want to like put a put a button on it, or you just sort I know it's this and I'm comfortable, but I you know, maybe you know there's there's. It's tough because so much of the human experience is dependent on our psycho and we're not very good at evaluating what's real and what's not real. So you know, our goal is yeah, so our goal is to try to like see what science can tell us, but we're really interested in the human experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we love the stories, we love folklore and history, and we just try to keep open minds and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there about it.
Speaker 1: We certainly enjoyed hearing the stories you've been telling us and about your own experiences as well, and it's just such an incredible place.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I I don't know. I have to write the intro and the outro to this, and it's like, I part of me says, well, you know, there's a Wiseman once told me that the priming one receives prior to experiencing something can have a huge impact on how one perceives it. Right. That Wiseman was Richard Wiseman. But the point is, you know, looking at psychology and all these other things, you know, it's hard to say, but you've got real people experiencing really strange things and it's, uh, it's it's interesting and regardless. I mean, we could say, oh no, it's it's all about priming, or oh no, these people are misinterpreting it, but the people are still experiencing something unusual and weird, and we wanted to talk about it. And we really appreciate your time.
Speaker 5: Very welcome, Thanks very much for having me on. It's been really good. I should probably put a plug in there about Hawaii parakon I will be there given some talks talking about Mackenzie, Poltry guys talking about the attacks with a list of them, and.
Speaker 2: Oh no, your job makes you go to Hawaii, how terrible.
Speaker 1: Jealous? We do have a final question. We always like to ask our guests, what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 7: This?
Speaker 5: This is an interesting question for me and I I don't know if this it's a bit too high brow. I'm not sure here it goes right. So every night I've been working, I've been walking past Mackenzie's tomb McKenzie's too unless you get real up close to it. And in Edinburgh during.
Speaker 6: The winter months it is dark for much of a day, for like four hours of a day. There's some sun through the clouds if that, and the rest of the time it's pitch black, and Mackenzie's tomb just swallows up the light swallows it up, and it's imposing. If you look at the Hawaiian paracn website you'll see a picture of it there right as Mackenzie's too. And when I walk past it. For years, I've had the habit of asking myself, I wonder, I wonder what would scare me inside of there? I wonder what that experience inside of there would be that would genuinely get to me and really free me out. And my mind just brings something up right, whether it's an image of something or a little video or eyes or I can a sound or some kind of experience, or just a sense inside of me of something there, it really gets to me.
Speaker 5: And it's this.
Speaker 6: I think it's this nature of I'm a firm believer in that all hypnosis are self hypnosis. I think a couple of cursory thought experiments would demonstrate that to be accurate. And people when they ask themselves some questions like this, and maybe they're not even aware of asking themselves this, it conjures up exactly the kind of stuff that's going to get to them. And I think for me, like this, this custom made monster that I couldn't possibly explain to you and would almost certainly not be the same kind of monster that would inhabit inside somewhere for you to ask yourselves the same question.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like this, this is a bit that really gets me. And it's it's quite it's quite thrilling, it's quite exciting to titillate oneself like that.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting.
Speaker 1: This has been so much fun hearing about this story.
Speaker 2: My god, I wish we could take a tour, right Karen, I mean like yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, as I said one day someday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to get a passport.
Speaker 1: You don't have a passport.
Speaker 2: I'm a typical American. I don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, with the Navy, that's not really the same as it, right.
Speaker 1: It still need a possible that you mean you need to renew.
Speaker 2: It or you know, they give you a military passport. It's totally different. Yeah, you go, Yeah, you get a Navy passport. When you leave the Navy, you have to forfeit it. So I don't have a civilian passport. So not important. I don't have the money to travel right now anyway, but I would love to come to the UK and travel, make it to Scotland, Ireland, the Al of Sky, the Isle of Man. I've got so many paranormal oriented sites I want to go see.
Speaker 5: So coming on to tours, my guest, both of you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we totally will. Yeah, maybe we'll crowd fund.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you so much for your time and absolutely short notice as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you both. It's it's been real nice.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters.
Speaker 4: I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 2: You just heard an interview with City of the Dead tour guide Fred Fogerty. As I mentioned in the introduction, Fred Carrot and I continued our discussion via email after we ran out of time for the full set of questions that we'd prepared. It wouldn't be Monster Talk if we didn't at least remind folks of our stance on ghost phenomena that when you're faced with potential paranormal situations, we believe you should look at the individual aspects and not group everything together to explain it as a haunting. The skeptic of me always wants to know what are the testable, falsifiable aspects of such stories. So, thinking about this, I wrote Fred with a few questions. The first thing I noticed was that online there's many many versions of the story about the homeless guy breaking into Mackenzie's tomb. What I wanted to know was did this event really happen, and if so, what evidence do we have because at this point it has definitely been corrupted by word of mouth retelling. So first, here's Fred's response about that incident. I'm not going to attempt Fred's accent the man Graham. He exists. The event really happened, though not exactly as described on our tours and almost guaranteed to be very different to any other tour company's efforts. Currently, ghost tours is very competitive in Edinburgh and companies are keen to carve out their niche and justify how come they're not going into the prison itself.
Speaker 5: I know he exists.
Speaker 2: He came to one of our tours and enjoyed it thoroughly, and I met him at the end in quizd him on the actual events. Since the police were called, I'm assuming there would be a police record of it, though I don't know how much is or was recorded. The date the homeless guy was said to have broken into Mackenzie's tomb as nineteen ninety eight, as there's been quite a number of homeless people seeking refuge in various tombs and Greatfriars, and the police assigned to the case might not have specifically recorded or even known which tomb it was. I don't know how easy it would be to find the specific record of it with the police themselves. Fred did link to another ghost investigation site which was allowed to go into Mackenzie's tomb. We can't post those photos, but I'll put a link to the article in the show notes and you can scroll down to the photos and read the notes yourself. It certainly does look as though there are a lot of old bones under Mackenzie's coffin, and the flooring around it was perilous, but may have since been repaired. Those photos are from quite a while back, much closer to the time of the original break in story. The grating has been replaced and is permanently closed, and no tours were allowed in Mackenzie's tomb. Fred wanted me to make it clear that while people call the accompanying phenomena of the Mackenzie poltergeist, this is not widely believed to be the ghost of Mackenzie by most ghost researchers, but rather a phenomena associated with this tomb. As time has passed, the stories have moved to the Black Mausoleum, which is also on the tour, and you actually go inside it on the tour. I think you'll find that there's variants of these stories surrounding the tours, but this is normal for lore of this type. The stories of tour participants passing out and having seizures is interesting to me. I have family members with epilepsy, and this doesn't sound like what I've seen, but it does sound familiar to me from my research into demon possession cases. Before you call me up and ask me to turn my skeptics car, I'm talking about the topic from a skeptical perspective. I was not there, and I didn't see what these people went through, but the symptoms do sound quite a bit like the stuff I've seen with Bob Larson's exorcist ministry, which I could only describe as elaborate role playing. I can't be sure that's what happened here. I wasn't there, and even if I had been, I'm not medically qualified to diagnose anyone. What I can say is that the phenomenal claims would make for an interesting skeptical investigation. It would be hard to test, I think, but the first thing that comes to mind would be to build some tour groups composed of volunteers who would let you photograph their arms and legs prior to the tour, and then video of the tour, and then afterwards see if anyone reports injuries that aren't captured on video or film. That's very rough thinking, and a good experiment would need a lot more design than that and a lot of prep work. I haven't had enough time to think about it, and I don't even know if anyone's interested in looking into this to that level. But it's very easy for skeptical people to say, oh, this is just a post talk rationalization of pre existing injuries as components of a haunting. But I think that falls into the kind of thinking which get skeptics accused of being armchair researchers. And I'd love to look at from a more statistical and practical approach and to see more about the natures of the injuries. Right this minute, that's financially impossible for caring to myself, but maybe some of our UK listeners can have a look. At any rate, it sounds like you'd have a fun and historically interesting tour of a fascinating site, and if thread's any indication, you'll certainly be entertained, even if you don't solve the mystery or encounter in any oddities. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic magazine. The views expressed on this show or those of myself and my guests, and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society.
Speaker 8: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forge slash Support. There we have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle, and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms.
Speaker 7: Save the data for a colossal Psicon twenty eighteen. Bigger venue, biggest stars, bigger ideas, bigger fun, Las Vegas, October eighteenth to the twenty first, twenty eighteen. Sikon is already one of the planet's premiere skeptical conferences, where hundreds of critical thinkers come to Las Vegas, the City of Illusions, to hear from the leading lights of science and skepticism. For twenty eighteen, we want Sikon to be bigger than ever. We've even booked a bigger hotel. Come to Las Vegas at the Westgate Resort and Casino to see the brilliant and hilarious Stephen Frye on stage with Richard Dawkins, an opening night talk by Stephen Pinker on the ideas behind his new book Enlightenment Now the triumphant return of James the Amazing Randy, plus New York Times science writer Carl Zimmer, psychologist and mimetics expert Susan Blackmore, the Cybabe, Yvette Dontemnt, virologist and advocate for science based medicine, Paul Offert, and many many more, along with comic musician George Rubb serving as master of Ceremonies, a magic show from Banachek, author book signings, and of course a Halloween costume party. It's true conspiracy theorists, quax peddling, fake medicine, and the deniers of evolution, climate change, and vaccine science are bigger threats than ever. With saikon twenty eighteen, Let's show them that they have just met their match. We'll see you in Las Vegas. For more information and to book your tickets, visit csiconference dot org. That Psyconference dot org.
Speaker 2: Master talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. As always, thanks for listing.
Speaker 9: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit Skeptic dot com.
Speaker 2: To sign up right.
Speaker 6: We give them only the food, water, and shelter acquad just to really prolong this suffering and just to really drag it out so that as many people as possible can endure five months of this.
Speaker 2: So like one hogis for every five people that kind of thing that was terrible. Right, you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters.
Speaker 4: I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 2: You just heard an interview with City of the Dead tour guide Fred Fogerty. As I mentioned in the introduction, Fred Carrot and I continued our discussion via email after we ran out of time for the full set of questions that we'd prepared. It wouldn't be Monster Talk if we didn't at least remind folks of our stance on ghost phenomena that when you're faced with potential paranormal situations, we believe you should look at the end visual aspects and not group everything together to explain it as a haunting. The skeptic of me always wants to know what are the testable, falsifiable aspects of such stories. So, thinking about this, I wrote Fred with a few questions. The first thing I noticed was that online there's many many versions of the story about the homeless guy breaking into Mackenzie's tomb. What I wanted to know was did this event really happen and if so, what evidence do we have? Because this point has definitely been corrupted by word of mouth retelling. So first, here's Fred's response about that incident. I'm not going to attempt Fred's accent. The man's name is Graham. He exists. The event really happened, though not exactly as described on our tours, and almost guaranteed to be very different to any other tour company's efforts. Currently, ghost tours is very competitive in Edinburgh and companies are keen to carve out their niche and justify how come they're not going into the prison itself.
Speaker 5: I know he exists.
Speaker 2: He came to one of our tours and enjoyed it thoroughly, and I met him at the end in quisdom on the actual events. Since the police were called, I'm assuming there would be a police record of it, though I don't know how much is or was recorded. The date the homeless guy was said to have broken into Mackenzie's tomb as nineteen ninety eight, as there's been quite a number of homeless people seeking refuge in various tombs in Greyfriars, and the police assigned to the case might not have specifically recorded or even known which tomb it was. I don't know how easy it would be to find the specific record of it with the police themselves. Fred did link to another ghost investigation site which was allowed to go into Mackenzie's tomb. We can't post those photos, but I'll put a link to the article in the show notes and you can scroll down to the photos and read the notes yourself. It certainly does look as though there are a lot of old bones under Mackenzie's coffin, and the flooring around it was perilous but may have since been repaired. Those photos are from quite a while back, much closer to the time of the original break in story. The grating has been replaced, it is permanently closed and no tours are allowed in Mackenzie's tomb. Fred wanted me to make it clear that while people call the accompanying phenomena of the Mackenzie Poultergeist, this is not widely believe to be the ghost of Mackenzie and by most ghost researchers, but rather a phenomena associated with this tomb. As time has passed, the stories have moved to the Black Mausoleum, which is also on the tour, and you actually go inside it on the tour, I think you'll find that there's variants of these stories surrounding the tours, but this is normal for lore of this type. The stories of tour participants passing out and having seizures is interesting to me. I have family members with epilepsy, and this doesn't sound like what I've seen, but it does sound familiar to me from my research into demon possession cases. Before you call me up and ask me to turn in my skeptics card, I'm talking about the topic from a skeptical perspective. I was not there, and I didn't see what these people went through, but the symptoms do sound quite a bit like the stuff I've seen with Bob Larson's exorcist ministry, which I could only describe as elaborate role playing. I can't be sure that's what happened here. I wasn't there, and even if I had been, I'm not medically qualified to diagnose anyone. What I can say is that the phenomenal claims would make for an interesting skeptical investigation. It would be hard to test think, but the first thing that comes to mind would be to build some tour groups composed of volunteers who would let you photograph their arms and legs prior to the tour, and then video of the tour and then afterwards see if anyone reports injuries that aren't captured on video or film. That's very rough thinking, and a good experiment would need a lot more design than that and a lot of prep work. I haven't had enough time to think about it, and I don't even know if anyone's interested in looking into this to that level. But it's very easy for skeptical people to say, oh, this is just a post talk rationalization of pre existing injuries as components of a haunting. But I think that falls into the kind of thinking which gets skeptics accused of being armchair researchers. And I'd love to look at from a more statistical and practical approach and to see more about the natures of the injuries. Right this minute, that's financially impossible for caring to myself, but maybe some of our UK listeners can have a look. At any rate, it sounds like you'd have a fun and historically interesting tour of a fascinating site, and if thread's any indication, you'll certainly be entertained even if you don't solve the mystery. Orn't counter in Any Oddities is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed on this show or those of myself and my guests, and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society.
Speaker 8: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forge slash Support. There, we have links to our Patreon pages, as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms.
Speaker 7: Save the data for a colossal Siicon twenty eighteen. Bigger venue, bigger stars, bigger ideas, bigger fun. Las Vegas, October eighteenth to the twenty first. Twenty eighteen Siicon is already one of the planet's premiere skeptical conferences, where hundreds of critical thinkers come to Las Vegas, the City of Illusions, to hear from the leading lights of science and skepticism. For twenty eighteen, we want Sichon to be bigger than ever. We've even booked a bigger hotel. Come to Las Vegas at the Westgate Resort and Casino to see the brilliant and hilarious Stephen Frye on stage with Richard Dawkins. An opening night talk by Stephen Piner on the ideas behind his new book, Enlightenment Now, the triumphant return of James, the Amazing Randy, plus New York Times science writer Carl Zimmer, psychologist and mimetics expert, Susan Blackmore, the Cybabe, Yvette Dontemont, virologist and advocate for science based medicine, Paul Offert, and many many more, along with comic musician George Rubb serving as master of ceremonies, a magic show from Banachek, author book signings, and of course a Halloween costume party. It's true conspiracy theorists, quax peddling, fake medicine, and the deniers of evolution, climate change, and vaccine science are bigger threat. It's than ever With psikon twenty eighteen, Let's show them that they have just met their match. We'll see you in Las Vegas. For more information and to book your tickets, visit csiconference dot org that Psyconference dot org.
Speaker 2: Monster Talk. The music is by Peat Stealing Monkeys. As always, thanks for listening.
Speaker 9: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up right now.
Speaker 6: We give them only the food, water, and shelter required, just to really prolong this suffering, just to really drag it out, so that as many people as possible can endure five months of this.
Speaker 2: So like one Hoggis for every five people, that kind of thing that was terrible, right,