Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio US. Postal Service is coming out with a Betty White stamp.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 3: That's fun. Conor O'Brien's going to host the Academy Awards. That's cool. That's also cool.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of swamp watch to get to.
Speaker 3: Do you want to do that? Well, let's hold up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, no, that's false. Okay, you guys, do not bashed Christianity. I love Jesus. He is my main guy. Love him so much. He sustains me and you all talk about him honestly all the time. Is such a great light and it makes me stoked and it's one of the reasons I listen to your show so much.
Speaker 2: So do not listen to that. That is crazy. Thank you. Let's go Jesus.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's go with that, GJ. LGJ.
Speaker 2: That's a good one to get started.
Speaker 3: LGJ. Yeah, let's go Jesus. Leave the f out what Well, I wouldn't have even said that.
Speaker 2: I think your wife posted the LFG yesterday.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, well, but not about this. No, Okay, yeah, that'd be crazy, right. The swamp is horrible, man, make this like a reality TV show.
Speaker 1: Bado always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C. Hey Joe, a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 3: A batch of malwarkee, he said, drained the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so hope.
Speaker 2: You know the thing, but we've got to start with it.
Speaker 1: Speaker Mike Johnson is urging the House Ethics Committee to not release its report on Matt Gates. Pressure is mounting on the panel to publish its findings because uh Trump has selected him to be Attorney General, and the fallout has gotten louder, and it's gotten more pointed. The woman who is at the center of this investigation into sex trafficking allegations surrounding Gates testified to the House Ethics Committee that he had sex with her when she was seventeen years old. This is according to sources familiar with the investigation who spoke with ABC News. She's now in her twenties. She sat for multiple days of testimony where she testified to the committee that Gates had sex with her when she was a minor in high school and if you missed the scathing editorial oh my gosh, one of went through Trump's biggest fans published today.
Speaker 3: Ben Dominic is his name, and wrote in The Transom, which is his website, he said, I realize we're occasionally given to hyperbole about the untoward nature of politicians, but let me be clear. Matt Gates is a sex trafficking, drug addicted piece of s. He is abhorrent. His eyes are permanently rimmed with the red rings of chemical boosters. In person, he smells like overexposed axe body spray and stale astrogram.
Speaker 1: He talked about how ninety nine percent of Republicans on Capitol Hell have an opinion, and it's to keep him away from their mothers, their wives, their daughters, anybody that they care about. He ended it this way, after calling him a walking genital. There are pools of vomit with more to offer the earth than this std riddled testament to the failure of fallen masculinity.
Speaker 3: No punch is held now. Okay, So this is where I'm not uh, this is where I don't quite understand. Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House, was asked about this and was asked about this ethics report that the House Ethics Committee has been working on and apparently has completed, and like you said, had interviewed witnesses and interviewed potential victims in this case and have come up with a report. The vote today was to be was to decide whether or not they were going to release the report. Well, Matt Gates has resigned from Congress. He resigned from Congress soon after Donald Trump said that he was going to be nominated to be the next Attorney General. Because he's no longer a member of Congress. There's no reason, I mean in congressional terms, there's no reason for them to release this report. And in fact, Mike Johnson had said it would go against tradition to release a report for somebody who's no longer a member of Congress.
Speaker 2: It is not unprecedented.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty seven, the panel released its report into former Representative William Bonner out of Tennessee after he resigned from the House. Oh we can say, Boner asked about that instance. Johnson says it reflected precedent being broken. He said, I think it would open up Pandora's box. Well, maybe it should maybe you should hold yourselves to a higher level of decorum and responsibility as a sitting member of Congress.
Speaker 3: I looked that guy up because I have never heard of William Bonner at the representative out of the Great State of Tennessee, largely uncelebrated member of Congress. His largest legislative accomplishment was a bill to recognize National Sewing Month. That's what he's known for now. The investigation was a close relationship that he apparently had with a government contractor that is very different than the allegations of underage sex trafficking and drug abuse. Not to mention all of his at the very least lack of decorum instances on the House floor, and this guy's being put up as the potential Attorney General of the United States.
Speaker 1: He openly bragged about crushing viagra and mixing it with red Bull to last throughout the night during his sexcapades. Like that was that was, like, you know, just plain conversation with Matt Gates. Small talk for him was telling people that he does this. That's disgusting.
Speaker 3: Prove to me that this guy should be Attorney General.
Speaker 2: I don't even think he should be sitting in Congress. Let alone. He's not.
Speaker 1: I mean, the kind of guy that he is belongs on one of those lucrative soft landing spot for politicians boards that we never have to hear about him again.
Speaker 3: And you know, people like this guy too.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 3: That's what I said yesterday was that I don't know if these these allegations are true, but they're believable, and that says more about his character and his personal the profile that he has put out there publicly.
Speaker 6: Hey, Gary and Chennon. One of the things I love about your show, Gary that you play the talkbacks good or bad, and no other shows do that on KFI.
Speaker 3: So you guys, keep up the good work. Don't let people get you down.
Speaker 6: Screw all the Bible thumpers up there that think they're better. And everyone uh listening to your guys show for years, and you guys do a good job of actually promoting Christianity and religions. Happy Friday, take care.
Speaker 3: I'm perfectly fine with Bible thumpers, I am. They have a good sense.
Speaker 1: Of humor, yes, And I also like to play the bad stuff. Who only wants to play the good stuff?
Speaker 3: Lame? Boring?
Speaker 7: Hey, holier than now, Christian dude, just chill, oh, kill bro, all right, I too am Christian. I take my family with church every Sunday, and I think Gary and Shannon's Christian stuff is hilarious Christian Like she says, she's not mocking, she's asking in reality. So just chill, bro, Like Mike Tyson says, you don't like.
Speaker 3: It, turn off the station.
Speaker 2: Is that what he says?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, somewhere there is a SoundBite of him. Okay, station, that's great. Back in DC, we just got word that the Trump can campaign or the Trump Transition team hows that, has named Stephen Chung as White House Communications director for the next administration. Has been a pretty constant presence at the former president's side, key member of the campaign run by Susan Wiler, Susie Wiles, and Chris Lasovita. He has relied Trump has relied on Chung, a former communications professional for the UFC, to send out statements that reflected his boss's penchant for rhetoric like a political knife. Kept a low profile. You probably wouldn't recognize him if you saw him. But Stephen Chung, raised by Chinese immigrant parents here in California, went to work for several Republican campaigns before he troined, before he joined the UFC and worked in the communications office for UFC. Also, probably the least controversial pick of all in the potential upcoming cabinet is Doug Burgham.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody has a problem with good old Doug.
Speaker 1: Burgham ruptured and Achilles and was still able to stand on the debate stage for ninety minutes.
Speaker 3: He said last night, I don't know why, but even even Trump knows that he tried to, you know, sprinkle a little bit of excitement into this, because last night, at an event at Mar a Lago, Trump said, I won't tell you his name, it might be something like Bergham Burgham. He's going to be announced tomorrow for a big position. He's going to head the Department of Interior. He's going to be a fantastic good Doug. Good Doug like dog dog, but good Doug. I'm not going to tell you anything about who I'm gonna nominate good Doug for what I'm not going to tell you, but Department of Interior.
Speaker 1: It's funny because the headline of this article in Politico is Hill Republicans rejoice over Burgham pick for inferior. Has anybody ever rejoiced over Doug burg But like the boringness of Doug Burgham is so refreshing from Trump that that's what's caused for rejoicing.
Speaker 3: And of the names that have been connected to the specific appointments that they're talking about, it seems like Doug Bergham, super boring North Dakota governor, is probably by far the most qualified for his job as Department of Interior, Federal Lands, energy, mineral production, gazing, recreation, all of that sort of stuff seems like it would be right up his alley. So the other thing that's going on is with all of these cabinet picks, these potential cabinet picks, the transition team has apparently bypassed some of the traditional FBI background checks. Yeah, this comes back to what we were talking about at the beginning, which is Matt Gates as the potential Attorney General.
Speaker 1: Well, they believe that the FBI system is fraudulent, right, that there are issues that slow and that this is going to impede the quick work of implementing the agenda.
Speaker 3: The question I would have is are you willing to are you willing to look at the bad things that your private company would find if you have a group of private investigators outside of the FBI that you say are doing the background checks on potential Director of National Intelligence, Tulci Gabbard, Pete Hegseeth as Defense Secretary, even Matt Gates as Attorney General, and they do come up with something that would compromise their position or would raise doubt, would you be willing to listen to that?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I don't think Trump cares about background checks. I don't think he would have his own team investigate and vet these people.
Speaker 2: He doesn't care. He's going to pick who he wants to pick.
Speaker 3: He's just doing it up pass be damn for loyalty, right?
Speaker 1: Would you like your Jeopardy question weather for twelve hundred dollars? According to the National Severe Storms Laboratory, hail with a diameter of four and a half inches is comparable in size to this.
Speaker 3: Fruit four and a half inches. Yeah, a grapefruit?
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would say softball sized hail.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not what the Severe Storms Laboratory says. They compare it to a grapefruit.
Speaker 3: That's very that's a big that's assuming that people know what grapefruits.
Speaker 1: Are that's true. It's probably quite antiquated. Do you think more people know what a softball is?
Speaker 3: It's probably a real ding dog?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: You much of baseball? Ways?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, do you know how much a baseball ways? No, it's football season. Nobody cares how much of a baseball?
Speaker 2: Ways? How many ounces?
Speaker 3: Yes? Ounces?
Speaker 2: Six ounces?
Speaker 3: I think it's between five and a half and six and a half.
Speaker 2: So I nailed it.
Speaker 1: You said five regulation baseball weighs between five and five point two five ounces.
Speaker 3: Boom, nailed it. Boom. Okay, winter coming up?
Speaker 1: Speaking of sports, there was like six different balls jokes that I just ran through in my head and I did not do any of them.
Speaker 2: And I would like, you're pointing to our Jesus.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 2: I think we're onto something here.
Speaker 1: Just having him in the room is kind of tidying things up inside my head.
Speaker 2: I mean, not a complete overhaul.
Speaker 3: Not crazy, right, I mean, he's not going to get rid of He's doing some dusting. He's not going to get rid of all of your sin some light dusting. You're human, after all, so were you.
Speaker 2: So was Jesus.
Speaker 3: But Jesus was also God, son of God. Okay, we need to go back through this part. God took human form, that's.
Speaker 1: His See this, I think this is where we have differences in Catholic versus Christian.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, but there's also you also have to take that leap of faith, which is there are some things I can't explain.
Speaker 1: But God sent his only son down to die for our sins, which makes it even that much of a better story.
Speaker 2: The Catholics tell a pretty good story.
Speaker 3: But what if it was what it means? It's that the stay it's the same story. I mean, you're just the background.
Speaker 2: Still have to say, we're not going to have this fight on a Friday, do.
Speaker 3: You want to bet? Certainly not eating meat today.
Speaker 2: You're just pissed because I knew in a.
Speaker 3: Baseball way, we're trying to get a hold of rich and we may we may bump him to the next segment just in case.
Speaker 1: But Tropical Storm Sarah expected to weekend before it gets to Florida next week. It's slowing down, it's dealing in Honduras right now, flooding mud slides there. Gonna head over to Belize over the weekend. But they say that Sarah's interaction with a cold front along with land will slow it down, so it's not going to be a huge deal. It's going to bring a lot of rain to Florida, but it shouldn't wreak havoc.
Speaker 3: Biden administration officials are working against the clock. They're trying to dole out billions of dollars in grants and taking other steps to try to preserve at least some of Biden's legacy before Donald Trump takes office again in January. In fact, one of those cabinet members, Transportation Secretary Pete Boodaget, says it's the administration's responsibility to spend the funds that Congress has authorized for us. His statement comes as Trump has pledged to rescind unspent funds in Biden's landmark climate and healthcare law and stop some of the clean energy development projects that are on the books already.
Speaker 1: We'll get into it when we talk about our wellness or do you want to just do that now?
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll make sure you get rich in the next segment.
Speaker 2: I just want to throw this in there.
Speaker 1: The nomination of RFK Junior to lead the Department of Health and Human Services is getting backing from across the aisle which is sometimes something it was a little bit odd. Yeah. Democratic Colorado Governor Jared Polus praised this pick, saying Kennedy will face strong special interest opposition, but that he wants to partner with Kennedy to truly make America healthy again. That we are being crushed. This was from Trump by the industrial food complex and drug companies who engage in deception, misinformation, and disinformation about public health. This is this is true. Former Vice President Pence is calling on senators to reject Kennedy. He pointed to his position on abortion, saying that it's an abrupt departure from the pro life record of our administration. Should be deeply concerning. What the hell this is a position on abortion? Mean anything in that regard. It sounds like Pence is lining his pocket somewhere.
Speaker 3: What is he doing lately?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, after he it's a aborted sorry to use that word in this term, but the aborted presidential campaign that he had. I haven't seen what he's I don't know where he does. He used to have a talk show. Yeah, so all right, So this new study published in the Lancet says that nearly three quarters of US adults are overweight or obese. That compares to nineteen ninety when it was just over half of adults who were overweight or obese, and shows how many more people are becoming overweight or obese at younger ages than in the past. And again, I know that RFK Junior brings with him some baggage, but this is one of the massive issues that he talks about. This is where he would be at the forefront when it comes to making it because it's not only a health issue. It's not only that we're unhealthy and that's bad for us as a as a culture.
Speaker 1: It's physical health, it's mental health, it's the money, it's the healthcare system.
Speaker 3: It's financial it's a national security issue. If you can't recruit soldiers, an airman and Space Force guardian, we are in trouble Space Force. The study ARCT documented the increases in the rates of overweight and obesity across ages, particularly alarmed at the steep rise among children children, and.
Speaker 2: That's the thing that makes me very sad.
Speaker 3: Without aggressive intervention, Without aggressive intervention, the number of overweight and obese people will continue to go up, and that by twenty fifty we'll see two hundred and sixty million people who are considered obese.
Speaker 1: They're saying, we are at a crisis point in this regard and it's time to turn the tide. Whether it means cracking down on the tobacco industry that pivoted into processed foods, whether it's an advertising situation of maybe not advertising six value meals for one in one sitting, or in this weird thing where we're just embracing and celebrating.
Speaker 3: It well, and then we're trying to medicate our way out of it as opposed to dealing with those core issues at the beginning of it. We're trying to medicate our way out of it. We've seen that with these GLP ones, right, and we've talked a lot about ozempic and Wegovi and all those. There is a forty one year old guy who was initially thrilled at the weight loss success that he had with weygov but he had to quit in April of twenty two because he couldn't afford it. She sorry couldn't afford it, and she ended up not only regaining the weight that she had lost, but actually got heavier than when she started. That's how weight loss works for the most part.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, because your body is fighting against you, you drop a ton of weight. Keeping it off is nearly impossible just because of your body chemistry.
Speaker 3: And listen, you can be on one of these drugs, but you've got to change habits. That's the only thing that's going to make the long term change is that you've got it.
Speaker 1: Where does that start? It starts in your head, right, starts in I don't know. It's a whole lifestyle change. I would assume. I know it's easy for me to say that I have the appetite of a gnat, but you know, we all have different biologies and different systems. But we've gotten really far off course when it comes to celebrating unhealthyness right and unhealthy practices.
Speaker 3: And then looking at people who do try to do things that are relatively healthy and point them out of.
Speaker 2: That freak shaming them.
Speaker 3: Why do you eat? Why do you drink?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: Is that all you're going to eat?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And I cannot believe that this may was This was the last time we talked to Rich Murata was seven years ago. I know when the Mayweather McGregor fight, right, Rich.
Speaker 1: Murata, course, our KFI longtime family member, always a family member. Here a sports canter, founder of the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: And wait a minute, before we even get that far, don't forget Southern California Sportscasters Hall of Fame the California Boxing Hall of Fame. He's in inductees to both of those, Like you said, started the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame. He has been honored with four Local Emmy Awards, ten Golden Mics, and those two Hall of Fames.
Speaker 2: I was going to go through that whole list.
Speaker 1: I'd take all the time up for the love of God, Rich good to hear you again. So this is kind of cool. Mike Tyson, isn't the villain in this one?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Isn't that funny? Yeah? Jake Paul is actually and he's embracing this villain role. And you know, he's a hell of a promoter. You know, as far as the event is concerned itself, and it's hard to get a handle on it or quantify it in some way, we just haven't seen anything like it. A thirty one year age difference between these guys. So you know a lot of people are wondering and I'm actually in the last half hour, I've gotten two tech one from the woman who used to produce our show in the morning on bill Handle, producer Jennifer, who lives up in Seattle. Haven't heard from her for a while. She's texted me asking about this fight. My daughter ten minutes ago literally texted me, Dad, is this just a stupid thing? Or is this for real? So you know, is it a novelty act? Is it the circus, the theater of the bizarre? I guess it's actually all of them. Have you seen this guy's going to be though? It is one of the most watched TV streams ever.
Speaker 1: And that's what it's about, right, It's about the pageantry of it all.
Speaker 2: It's about the splash. It's going to make the old guard.
Speaker 1: Versus the YouTuber who chokes to train the monster into him as opposed as Mike Tyson called himself the natural born killer.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what Paul is not a pretty incredible thing. I mean, as you mentioned, he was a YouTuber and influencer until a few years ago, I didn't even know what that was. Well, but he took that platform and decided to give boxing a go, and it has really worked for him. I mean, he fought some other YouTuber and then the weird menagerie of opponents, you know, MMA guys, he fought a former NBA player, and then he actually started to take boxing pretty seriously and he has worked on it and he has gotten better. I mean, I really was very critical and just thought the whole thing was ridiculous at the start, but he kind of made himself into what looks like a journeyman fighter. And a journeyman fighter, might you know who's in the prime of life at twenty seven might be able to beat him? Mike Tyson tonight. That's the mystery of it.
Speaker 3: Talk about some of the details of the fight itself that they've agreed to, which is the lighter gloves, the shorter eight rounds, that sort of thing. What kind of impact would that have on what we see tonight?
Speaker 5: Well, I think it will be. You know, most fights that are considered big fights are ten or twelve rounds, right, twelve rounds of the championship distance, This one will be only eight rounds and the rounds will be only two minutes in duration as opposed to a normal three minutes. Now, the thing that might actually work to the detriment of Tyson tonight, because I suspect you can still no matter what, he's still as powerful. And if he hits a guy, you know, a guy's gonna feel it and feel it big. But they are wearing fourteen ounce gloves tonight. Now, these are not lighter gloves, Gary, These are heavier gloves. These are like what you use in sparring in the gym. They're much more padded. So they normally wear heavyweights in this era wear ten ounce gloves even and before that, if you go back to you know, twenty thirty years, they were wearing eight ounce gloves as heavyweights. They're going to be wearing fourteen ounces, which is going to take some of the thing out of these punches tonight. But everybody's pretty excited about it. I'm going to watch I've never watched the Jake Paul fight live. I've seen them, you know, I've seen the highlights of them, seen them light. I never had any interest really in watching him. You know, Tyson is the mystery. He's fifty eight years oh, I mean, it's just ridiculous, but you know, he has worked himself into what appears to be reasonable shape. The thing that I that I would really you know, warn people and advise people on is this is not Mike Tyson from thirty years ago. You know, this is a guy Mike Tyson twenty years ago, at the very end of his career, was knocked out in his last two fights by real mediocre opposition, a guy named Danny Williams and a guy named Kevin McBride who has not been heard from before or since then, you know, and was knocked out legitimately in both of those fights. And those were journeymen, So you know, it's it's hard to expect too much of Mike, although I will tell you two minutes or not those that first round or two is going to be pretty brilliant. And I think that's what everyone's excited about because Tyson will be fresh at that point. He has worked himself into very good shape and he's going to come out while he's still, you know, is fresh in the fight, which I don't think is going to be very long.
Speaker 2: And he hasn't had sex.
Speaker 1: He hasn't had sex for like months, and he used to have sex before every fight because he would tell his chauffeur, if I don't get laid, I'm going to kill this guy and he's upstate times.
Speaker 5: A day, at least three times a day, at least in Mike's case, he is one of the most had one of the most prodigious appetites in that department of everyone probably in sports history.
Speaker 1: What is your idea of the best fight ever? Is it Muhammad Ali Joe Fraser? Do you have a personal favorite?
Speaker 5: Well, I have a personal favorite. I think the best fight ever of all time. And of course it doesn't rank in terms of name recognition with the with Ali and Fraser or Ali Informant, et cetera. But with a fight with Diego Corrals and and Jose Luis Castillo at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. It was just ten rounds of unbelievable brutality. I don't think we'll see unbelievable brutality tonight, but that that is my I believe the greatest fight of all time. But you know, this fight doesn't rank in the Ali Frasier kind of It doesn't even rank as a good HBO main event of a few years ago. But it's just a mystery. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: You were here.
Speaker 1: You were here when that fight happened the Korea. You were here when that fight happened the Koreo fight.
Speaker 5: The Diego Corrals and Jose Luis Castillo fight. Yes, yeah, that was in That was in May of twenty oh five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somewhere in my head and the files that are covered in dust, I remember you talking about that fight.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, because I did the actually did the international telecaster in that okay, and it actually I can I can actually remember saying in the worth the fifth round that it was actually getting hard to watch it because it was so it was so brutal. And then of course the last round it set it completely apart from all the others because Diego Corrals was knocked down twice, a great lightweight camp and he was knocked down twice, and then somehow summoned up the energy to you know, to knock out Castillo after that had happened, all of that happening in one round. But that was unbelievable. But it did not have what I would call the mainstream interest that this event tonight has for all kinds of reasons. Look at Jake Paul is putting a lot of new eyes on boxing, and boxing is a niche sport and it is becoming niche heer all the time. And this is probably the nichiest niche of all you know, of all of it. But I'm telling you there is massive interest in it. It's you're talking about it. I mean, it's on regular newscast, it's you know, and a lot of people resisted, of course, but there's gonna be a lot of eyes on this one tonight, Rich Marata.
Speaker 3: It is a blessing to talk to you every time.
Speaker 5: Yes, oh listen, I'm glad to talk to you, guys. I've been listening the last hour. You know you're pretty good listening on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: That's the hell of assure you, guys.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Rich Murda, Hall of Famer, Rich Murda, thank you for your time, buddy.
Speaker 5: Thanks guys, thanks for having me on. Love to see you.
Speaker 2: Something you got to come for the Jesus. Stay for the twelve o'clock hour.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap