Speaker 1: All right, good morning Kentucky, Anah, Welcome in. It is Kentucky Anda's Morning News with Coffee and company here on News Radio eight forty whas the crew has assembled, we're all here, Nick Coffee, that's me Scott Fitzgerald alongside. We also have got the one and only John Alden producing. He's running the show. In fact, he's he's behind the board hitting buttons that without him doing what he's doing, we wouldn't be here. I mean we'd be sitting here, but we wouldn't be with you over the airwave. So he's certainly a big fixture within the show. And then of course John Shannon alongside as well. And I've got some exciting news for all of you. If you are somebody that really really loves thick, disgusting humidity, today is your day. Today is your time to shine.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 3: It was nasty yesterday, Oh god, it was.
Speaker 4: I went and walked around the neighborhood in Germantown yesterday and it was garbage day. Oh the humidity just brought that smell out.
Speaker 1: The humidity mix in some garbage smell. I was ready to cancel summer yesterday, fellas I was ready to say, you know what, that's.
Speaker 3: Already canceled it. Oh have you. We don't need summer. Bring me fall, bring me spring. Winter's pretty good too, but give me, give me the medium seasons. I like those better.
Speaker 1: Yesterday was one of the days where throughout here and there I would think, as I'm worried about having to change my clothes because I've got swamp ass, I'm thinking, you know.
Speaker 3: What, who likes this? Who prefers this? People live in Florida. Yes, give us fall in football.
Speaker 4: I saw a thing on TikTok. I said it to my wife and daughter last night. They said, here's an idea for those of you dealing with the swamp ass heat. Have yourself make a bunch of Christmas treats, throw those bad boys out on a Saturday night and have a.
Speaker 1: Party and just distract yourself and just throw living your own world to where you're not dealing.
Speaker 3: With the I' it's not enough, I agree, John.
Speaker 1: Yesterday it's it's like we've been waiting for a good stretch of rain to come in, and that's why the humidity is the way that it is. And we're supposed to get some rain, I believe later today. So therefore, as we wait, it'll be thick and gross. And I'm using the word thick because that's the word that was used last night by w Olk.
Speaker 3: Why is Jake CARDOSSI?
Speaker 1: And he could not have he could not have been more accurate, because it's gross outside. I tried to put my daughter's new training wheels on her bike last night and it's like eight thirty and I you would have thought I jumped out of the pool. And I mean again, it wasn't like I was just sitting in the shade. But it was in the garage, and it wasn't like I was working out. I mean, I unsuccessfully. I don't have a tool that I need to get him complete. But that's beside the point. But I couldn't believe I was out there maybe fifteen twenty minutes. And again, you would have thought I just jumped out of the pool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it happens in your garage. For example, I was on my way home last night and I came through Heike's Point at Taylorsville Road flooded out and I get maybe five minutes down the road to my neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Now one bit of rain.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you said that because I'm I'm of the belief that's more normal than I realized. And maybe it's because I referenced the weather eighteen times exaggeration throughout the morning. So therefore I'm just I'm thinking. And look, I'm not knocking these guys. I get it, there's no perfect way to predict the weather. But oftentimes they see in the forecast, either it changes or they just you know, they get it wrong. It happens. But I feel like the last couple of weeks we have had more so isolated rain hitting spots to where it's just not it's not everywhere. And again, I know that's common. I know that's not something that's that's super rare, but it just seems like, for example, the storms over the weekend, I mean, there were some people that had to kind of you know, shut down a little bit because the wind, and then there's other areas where nothing happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. But fortunately there will come in time, and this happens every year. I get just like you do. I'm done with summer.
Speaker 4: I'm just especially if you know, they see in the car and when it rains, I gotta roll the windows up.
Speaker 3: That makes it awful. Oh, yes, Oh dude, it's nasty. We're on the same page and I could and it was so funny.
Speaker 4: And then then we hit that one magical point out of the year where we turn a corner and it's gone and it just disappears. So I'm with you, guys, I'm looking forward to I got some full recipes. I'm kicking out.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it's already July fifteenth, dude.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, and that's what we'll talk about in sports as we move on through the morning. Is that really Baseball's All Star Game represents sort of that turning point because it led us the place to be now because you have the All Star Game and you have SEC media days going on as well, So you got these teams taking to the podium.
Speaker 3: Everybody's getting excited.
Speaker 4: The high schools, I believe the football teams are wearing helmets now, they're back in action.
Speaker 3: It's coming, yep.
Speaker 4: It's just you got to get there, and we get to that point now where we all, I think collectively.
Speaker 3: We here at the station are just done with summer, yep.
Speaker 1: And this is the time of year for my days doing a sports show. By now you've kind of exhausted all different ways. You can talk about your upcoming football season and you're just ready to actually see your team play. So it'll be here at some point, yes, sir, good stuff fellas. All right, we'll be Scott to be back with us for another update on sports coming up at about fifteen minutes. We've got your first check of traffic and weather coming your way. Also, what I want to get to here on the other side, some updates on the big stories from yesterday. We can't catch a break if you guys haven't been following what ultimately led to the situation at the Fairgrounds on Sunday. That's just bad luck. And I'm a little bummed by the way it's being maybe i'm sensitive to it, but I mean nobody did anything wrong, literally, just terrible luck.
Speaker 3: That's what happened.
Speaker 1: And also the tragic situation in Lexington again yesterday during the show, it was revealed who the gunman was in that situation, but nobody knows why, what would have led to it. And I've got some thoughts sort of on that question that I want to share with you guys.
Speaker 3: So stick with us.
Speaker 1: It's Kentucky and it's Morning News with Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee and the crew with you as we get this Tuesday started. Swamp ass season is here, folks. Look, I've been wrong many times in my life. I'll be wrong probably many times throughout the show this morning, so I could be wrong here. But how can you look at what happened on Sunday at the Fairgrounds Kentucky Kingdom and during the run for the Roses girls basketball tournament. How can you look at what we now know and not call it just terrible luck? Right? I mean I'm a little sensitive to people just assuming that you know Louisville. The only things that take place here is what you see in the news. That's not good news, right, And look, we're not perfect. We could be better. But the big basketball event that we talked a lot about yesterday that led to a shutdown for the rest of the day Sunday, which I believe it's still continuing today as we speak. You know, they they there was a report of an active aggressor, which of course a real scary situation. That was one of the lead stories yesterday and now we know sort of what led to it all. And again it's just terrible luck. And unfortunately this is a reminder that the the reaction, or maybe not the reaction, maybe the you know, the cut, the update on the story is not going to get near the attention as the story itself whenever the news broke on Sunday, and that's really just a sign of the times and currently how the new cycle works. But it is an important thing to point out that nobody did anything wrong, nobody was in danger, nobody cut any corners. As far as keeping people safe, it was just terrible luck. So it was first feared to be a mass shooting, turned out to be something again just bad timing and really a rare coincidence. Still a terrifying situation all the way around, but it turned out a loud noise and then someone having a medical emergency is what caused mass panic that had people scrambling. And I did see yesterday more of those videos on social media surfacing as far as just what the scene looked like, as those that were there were under the impression that there was an active shooter. Very scary, no doubt. So it was about three point fifteen LMPD received reports of an active aggressor at the Kentucky Exposition Center and that led to the chaos. So the explanation from LMPD is now that a ceiling tile fell and struck a metal chair that created noise that might have sounded like a gunshot at the same time this happened, and maybe, just maybe the scare from this ceiling tile hitting a metal chair is what caused this. But a woman nearby maybe simultaneously ended up having a medical emergency, so that noise somebody having a medical emergency. The combined sounds and commotion created clear confusion, and then that fear quickly escalated, so Kentucky venues. They later clarified that the building's fire alarm system was also triggered by a Duck smoke sensor. Now, their statement didn't reference what LMPD said as far as the tile and the medical emergency, but again they swept the facility and determined there was no shooter, no credible threat, and it was really.
Speaker 3: Just all for nothing.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's probably not even fair to say it that way, because that's what you have to do when those kind of things happened. And more than any thing, this is just I mean, this is just a sign of of sort of where we are, a reminder that you can't take those things. It's not something that you can be in disbelief about, you, you know. Unfortunately, nobody I think walks out and expects to be in a situation where they be. They may be near an active aggress or an active shooter. But again, it happens enough to where it's not the it's not unheard of. And again that situation somebody having a medical emergency and that noise and then the fire alarm system going off, I mean, that's just bad luck. And and again I just maybe I'm just the maybe this is the pessimist in me, But there will be people that just assume some kind of dangerous, violent situation unfolded because they're not as plugged into it as we are. Maybe they don't live here, and they'll just this will be a bad look on Louisville in their eyes. And I just hate that. I really do. Again, I'm probably more sensitive to it than I need to be. But and a lot of coverage. Again, maybe this is all interviews and stuff that took place prior to the information that we got, but I'm still seeing like all these interviews from players and parents and coaches that were there being sort of critical of the event and how they were handling the security as if there was an active shooter or something. And I just think context is important. I think those people interviewed after we got this information would have been a little bit more fair.
Speaker 3: But that's just the way I see it.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: We got an update on sports coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald. First, we'll take up we'll take a look at traffic with Bobby Ellis and of course get the latest forecast from WLKY, and we'll get to the latest as far as what we continue to learn about the shooter in Lexington on Sunday. So a busy Tuesday with us here, so don't go anywhere. It's Kentucky and it's Morning News with Coffee and Company right here on news radio eight forty whs. That's how you deliver a newscast right there, John Shannon, good stuff, my friend. It is five thirty five here at Kentucky ANDAs Morning News, Coffee and Company, News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me John all on alongside and I'll tell you what we will talk coming up in about ten minutes with Rory O'Neil NBC News. Get his thoughts on a variety of things, including the recent comments from President Trump about Russia and the tariffs. And also something else that we need to take a look at with Rory is drones now being provided within the battlefield for the United States, which I don't think that's super rare, But as far as who's manufacturing these drones and whatnot, that's something we'll talk with Rory about coming up here in just a few minutes. All right, So, yesterday the big story not only here in Kentucky, but it was certainly a story nationally just because when you combine the tragic combo of officer involved shooting and then somebody showing up to a church and killing two people shooting others. Unfortunately, that's not as rare the type of stories that that that you see anymore, but certainly just a tragic situation all the way around. And right now, here's what we know, and I do believe the majority of what we of what we learned, the big I guess information that people were either wanting or just wanting confirmation on was who in fact did this, who this person was, And we did get the confirmation yesterday towards the end of the show.
Speaker 3: As far as who who it.
Speaker 1: Was, and it is the same it's the same person that that everybody assumed was the shooter, who of course is now dead, and that is a guy by the name of Guy House, forty seven year old. And I mean, I think the other details that were rumors but I guess have since been confirmed, is that he had a clear connection to some people at that church. I think the the his his I guess girlfriend ex girlfriend. She's been talking a lot to to to the media and and honestly just kind of surreal to see how I mean, I get the sense, and not to play psychologist just by listening to someone in an interview. I mean, I'm sure she's distraught and just probably every probably on atle pilot given what's taken place, but I almost get the sense that she she's not that surprised because of just I guess this this individual. But one thing that I think is another added detail that is relatively now information that one of the one of the victims that he ended up killing was the grandmother of his children. So clearly there's a there's a family dynamic there, uh that that that that that's the connection, that's how we ended up there, and I guess just some other information that that that is worth mentioning. If you guys haven't haven't seen it as that the officer involved the trooper he's he's out of surgery and expected to recover and be okay. And we now know of some people would We'll get to this later on, but we now know of some people who are just good Samaritans and clearly saw the situation and did did whatever they could to help. And uh, that's always I love being reminded that there are people that would that, that will do that. And I don't think you ever ever can know when that situation is going to present itself, but nonetheless it did, and it sounds as if there were people that were there to try to help the officer. And again, as far as the motive, there's been no official motive release. Family members did go on to say that he had clearly a criminal issue, had some mental health issues with drugs, but it was the mother of his children, Angel Rutherford, that I don't know if people suspect that she was the target, but he did ask where she was when he arrived at the church, and she was not there, and that's when he decided to take you know, I mean to take the lives of two other people and I guess attempt to kill others. And this is not new, This is just I think how I mean, this isn't this isn't a sign of the times or society. This is just I mean, I think it's just how we're wired as human beings. But this is new to me in what I in this job, this role compared to what I used to do. Is that what I've because I've been interested in this story and of course it's my job to now know the information as best I can and share with you guys, and of course share my own thoughts on it.
Speaker 3: But why, That's what everybody's asking?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: And that's just again, that's that's that's common. When you see somebody do something unthinkable, you think, well, why, what in the world would lead someone to do that? What could possibly bring someone to take this action and just do something unthinkable? And for some reason, I'm still like, what does does it matter? I mean, I don't know. I need to reprogram my brain to not hear so many people asking why and think that it's because they're looking for some type of like justification for it. They're not it's just, you know, as human beings, I think you want to try to understand what, how did this happen? How could something so heinous take place? And with the suspect now dead, we won't probably find out a whole lot more other than what we know right now, and I could be wrong, but just a tragic situation all the way around. And yeah, we know of two people that have that have been killed from this. It is Beverly Gum of seventy two years old, and then her daughter, Christina Combs, and then the injured that is Randy Combs Jeremy Gumm, who is the church pastor. And again both of these all of these people are connected and related in some way. So again, just an awful situation. And we'll let you know when we have an update on the trooper that was shot.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: I don't believe his identity has been released, but it sounds like he is expected to make a full recovery after some surgery on Sunday. All right, Rory O'Neil set to join us, coming up here on the other side, Let's get a check of traffic with Bobby Ellis and we'll get the latest forecast from at Melosvitch WLK. Why this is Kentucky Anna's Morning News with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty whas, good morning, Kentuckyana. It is Kentuckyana is Morning News with Coffee and Company here on news Radio eight forty whas it's time to bring in Rory O'Neal of NBC News. We certainly always appreciate his time. Royal. Start with the latest with President Trump and Russia. As Trump is giving Vladimir Putin a deadlined in the world the Ukraine, and of course he's threatening to push those tariffs to really press the issue here. What can you tell us as far as the latest is this threat believed to be one that'll result in some action.
Speaker 2: Well, look, you know where the president is famous for making those we'll see in two weeks kind of timelines, but in this case, it's a fifty day timeline that he's laid out for Vladimir Putin to stand down. The President clearly saying he's frustrated that they'll have a good phone call with Putin, they'll seem to reach some sort of an accord, but then the bombs start flying on Ukraine again, and he's frustrated by it. He told the BBC that he's had four different sort of verbal agreements with Putin only to have Putin turnaround and increase the violent attacks against Ukraine. So this is why he's put down this fifty day timeline, saying, look, you've got fifty days to back down, otherwise we're going to start implementing tariffs, secondary tariffs. That's the important thing, not just on what we would import from Russia, which these days isn't much, but also what Russian partners like China and India also export to the US. So those countries could face tariffs of up to one percent unless they can get Russia to back down and finally get to a peace deal.
Speaker 1: So if these tariffs did take place, these are ones that would be and we would feel more like a punishment, right if in fact we get there. This is one that the ever more people would feel or know that's going on.
Speaker 2: Well, right, But it's also an effort by President Trump to have China and India put more pressure on Putin. You know, these countries have become strong allies now with Russia over the past three years of this conflict with Ukraine because essentially the rest of the world is snubbing its nose at Russian exports like their oil, and China and India are picking them up on the cheap. Now, there are two other countries we should mention, Iran and North Korea. They would also be subject to this, But of course we don't import much from those companies at all countries at all, so we don't have the same economic sway we would have with India and China.
Speaker 1: Rory and Neil is our guest joining us here on News Radio eight forty. Whas it's been clear that drones have been pretty critical when it comes to winning wars on the battlefield, What can you tell us about who is actually manufacturing the drones here as far as as far as how they're being used.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fascinating piece by the New York Times looking at America's drone programs, and look, we were leading the way with those predator drones and the reaper drones. But those things are like the size of a small plane. What we're seeing happen in Ukraine now is that it's these tiny little drones that you send up a thousand of them rather than worry about one big, expensive.
Speaker 3: Predator drone.
Speaker 2: So American, Right, we build the suv, but not the compact little car that can actually get you around. It's that same sort of mentality.
Speaker 3: And we're way behind.
Speaker 2: When it comes to building those smaller drones that you would sort of lo launch en mass. So President Trump recently signed an executive order to quote unleash American drone dominance, so federal agencies are now on they're authorized to fast track any approval for drone manufacturers. We got a lot of companies in the US that make big promises. They just had this four day demonstration up in Alaska. Those companies didn't deliver as much as they were promising, So we are in serious catch up mode when it comes to drone tech in the US.
Speaker 1: One more for you or the Senate is debating spending that could trigger I guess a government shut down and President Trump's big bill. It's creating a budget nightmare for a lot of states that don't know if they're going to be getting the help from the federal government. What can you tell us as far as the latest on these cutbacks and the impact that may be coming for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a few things going on there. So the one big beautiful law I guess we'll call it now that's going to cut Medicaid and food stamp supplements or to states. So state's astors scrambling like, wait, how are we going to.
Speaker 3: Fill that budget hole?
Speaker 2: Now? A lot of these cutbacks don't really happen until twenty twenty seven, after the midterm elections. What a shock. But it's already sending up red flags in state governor's offices all across the country. Red state, blue state. Some of these states are going to be taking big hits and have to adjust their spending accordingly more immediately. This week, the Senate is expected to vote on proposed clawbacks, taking back about nine point six billion and spending most of it going to public media like NPR and PBS, a lot of it going. Most of it were for aid programs like USAID. The Trump administration wants to bring back about nine billion dollars in all. Not every Senator is on board with some of this, so fascinating maneuvers ahead. They've got a Friday deadline.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Rory, really appreciate your time. Enjoyed the rest of your day. We'll talk soon, my friend. Thanks Nick. All right, that's Rory and Nale NBC News. A little Rapid Fire with Rory. Always enjoy the conversation. Good stuff. We've got an update of traffic coming your way. Bobby Ellis will tell you what it looks like out there as you start your Tuesday. And then of course we'll get an update on the weather forecast with Matt Melosavich of WLKY. This is Kentucky Ana's morning News with Coffee and Company on news Radio eight forty whs.