Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Today. We're undertaking a strategic analysis really of the modern IT engine. Yeah, if you're building, managing, or maybe migrating business applications, it's highly likely that Linux virtual machines, maybe containers are running the show somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And the move to the cloud, well, it's a strategic bandate now for almost every organization, isn't it. But mastering that environment, making it efficient, resilient, secure, that takes more than just spinning up a few.
Speaker 2: Servers, It absolutely does. Running your workloads in the public cloud is a fundamentally different paradigm than running a physical data center.
Speaker 1: It just is a different way of thinking completely.
Speaker 2: The promise is massive, of course, agility, true elasticity, pay for use, economics, all the good stuff. But without a strategic playbook, you can end up just throwing good money after bad maybe creating these complex architectures that just fail under load.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've all seen that happen. We've been diving into a pretty comprehensive guide that outlines five essential principles for well deploying and managing Linux in the cloud. Our mission today is to distill those five strategic pillars for you think of this as your shortcut to understanding the planning, the architecture, monitoring, and the governance you need to succeed in these really complex, dynamic cloud environments.
Speaker 2: Okay, so before we even hit principle one, we really have to establish the foundational architecture because your choice here it dictates pretty much everything that follows. Cloud services are generally broken down into let's say three main categories based on who's responsible for.
Speaker 1: What, which dictates how much strategic headache you keep. Basically, yeah, so walk us through that spectrum.
Speaker 2: Okay, on one end, you've got ISS. That's infrastructure as a service. This is probably the most common starting point for many folks. Right, the provider gives you the bare infrastructure, servers, storage, networking, but you, the customer, you're responsible for managing the operating system, the patch, the applications, basically everything above the hypervisor.
Speaker 1: So I gives you that freedom, you know, run whatever Linux distro you want, but you keep the strategic headache of managing potentially hundreds of different OS layers.
Speaker 2: Precisely, then we move along to palats Platform as a service. Now, this is often strategically superior, especially for new application development. Oh so, well, here the provider handles the OS, the networking, the databases, all that plumbing. You the developer, you just focus purely on your code. It's essentially a ready to use delivery environment.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: And finally there's sauce Software as a service. This is where you outsource well pretty much everything infrastructure software updates. The consumer has pretty limited control. Think of using something like a CRM service or you know, Adobe Creative Cloud running on Azure.
Speaker 1: Okay, so knowing where you sit on that iss packs Sauce spectrum is crucial, and that brings us neatly to our first principle. I think it does.
Speaker 2: Principle one understand which Linux vms are adaptable to the cloud, and the source material really stresses this. The very first step must be a cloud readiness assessment. Okay, you can't just assume everything you're currently running on premise will work efficiently or even cost effectively in a virtualized cloud environment.
Speaker 1: But you know, is an is often seen as the path of least resistance, just lift and shift. Why is a formal assessment so critical.
Speaker 2: Because failing to assess properly often leads to massive overspending Later on, It just does the assessment forces you to really analyze your existing workload patterns, your database requirements, and that's the data that must guide your is versus past decision. If your application can be refactored, maybe modernized a bit, you could save huge amounts of money and operational effort by moving it to pass instead.
Speaker 1: And this changes the team structure too, doesn't it. Yeah, you mentioned needing fewer traditional sissedmends focused on physical kit exactly, and more DevOps architects focused on automation and that kind of thing exactly.
Speaker 2: And this leads to that fundamental migration fork in the road. You can lift and shift, just move your existing stack without fundamental changes.
Speaker 1: Couick and dirty.
Speaker 2: Quick maybe saves you three months of planning upfront, but you likely pay I don't know, maybe forty percent more in the long run because those traditional vms don't really utilize cloud native features like auto scaling very well.
Speaker 1: So the strategic path, maybe a bit riskier upfront, is architect before migration.
Speaker 2: That's the path to long term benefit. Yes, you modernize the application, you upgrade it to use cloud APIs for things like scaling, resilience, and to execute this effectively, you need modern operations what we often call immutable infrastructure. We're talking continuous integration, continuous deployment CICD, pipeline.
Speaker 1: WULL DevOps toolchain right.
Speaker 2: Enabled by tools like Jenkins Terraform. Maybe running on Azure Virtual Machines scale sets vmss's or the equivalent in other.
Speaker 1: Clouds, and VMSS is key there, isn't it, because that's the mechanism alie allowing those Linux vms to just instantly multiply when demand spikes, giving you that true cloud elasticity you talked about exactly. Okay, So once we've done the strategic planning, decided how we're building it, the next logical SAP is ensuring that build is well rock solid, which leads us directly to principle two availability.
Speaker 2: Principle two define your workloads required availability, and this is really where the cloud offers built in resilience that traditional data centers often struggle to match cost effectively. Well providers offer this through geographically isolated regions and within those regions availability zones or azs. Think of azs as physically separate data centers within a region.
Speaker 1: Okay, and within those zones, we need to talk about logical constructs like availability sets, particularly in Azure, they're designed to spread risk across the physical hardware. Right, But this is where it gets a little abstract for some Yeah, how should we think about fault domains and update domains?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's use a simple analogy. Think of availability sets as a promise from the provider that your critical vms aren't all sitting on the same power strip or the same network switch.
Speaker 1: Essentially, right, not all eggs in one basket exactly.
Speaker 2: Fault domains are groups of resources that share a common power source and network switch, So if that physical rack goes down, everything in that fault domain potentially fails together.
Speaker 1: So it's like having your application vms distributed across say two entirely separate server acs in the same data center building precisely.
Speaker 2: And then, update domains are groups of resources that the cloud provider patches and updates together during planned maintenance. You want your critical application components distributed across multiple update domains so a single routine maintenance event doesn't take down your entire service. It's basically your insurance policy against both unexpected physical failure and planned maintenance.
Speaker 1: Windows makes sense beyond just protecting against failure, though, we need to handle incoming demand spread the load. That's where load balancing comes in.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely essential for both availability and scaling. And you need to distinguish between network load balancers which operate at layer four routing traffic based on IP address and port, and application load balancers, which work at layer seven looking at application headers like HTTP requests. Strategically, you often want the layer seven balancers because they can often incorporate a Web Application Firewall or WAFH.
Speaker 1: Adding a security layer right there.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It adds a layer of defense right at the front door, filtering out known web exploits before they even reach your Linux VMS.
Speaker 1: Good point. Now, you mentioned resilience earlier. If durability is kind of the default in cloud storage, where do customers often slip up with storage redundancy.
Speaker 2: Well, they often fail by relying only on the baseline. The default cloud storage usually defaults to incredible durability within a single data center. Think eleven nins ninety nine point nine nine nine percent durability. That's what's called locally redundant storage LRS, which sounds amazing, is for hardware failure within that data center. But eleven nines means absolutely nothing. If a regional natural disaster like a flood or a major power outage, takes out the entire physical site.
Speaker 1: Right, LRIS won't save you from a regional catastrophe. That's where you need the geographical separation.
Speaker 2: Yes, precisely for maximum data safety against a major regional event. The source strongly recommends using georedundant storage grs or zone redundant storage crs. These replicate your data across multiple geographically separated zones or even regions. Okay, it's a critical and usually relatively cheap insurance policy against that kind of catastrophic regional failure. Don't skip it for important data.
Speaker 1: Okay. So we've planned the migration, we've built resilient infrastructure using AZS and redundancy. Now we need eyes on the whole operation. Right. That brings us to Principle three. Monitor your applications running on Linux across the entire stack. You mentioned earlier, this paradigm shift away from just monitoring server health. Why is the cloud provider's involvement so crucial here?
Speaker 2: Because the cloud provider is already monitoring the underlying infrastructure health, the physical host machine, the high provisor layer. Your job as the customer ships almost entirely towards application performance monitoring APM and focusing on the end user experience.
Speaker 1: So less about CPU on the box, more about how quickly the web page loads for.
Speaker 2: The user exactly, and think about server list functions like Azure functions or AWS Lambda. You don't even have a server to monitor in the traditional sense. You're just monitoring the execution of these little chunks of code.
Speaker 1: But this must create an incredibly fragmented view, mustn't it, Especially if you're in a complex hybrid setup or using multiple clouds.
Speaker 2: Oh, it creates enormous challenges. You often lack that unified visibility across all your resources. You're dealing with different cloud specific tools as your monitor, here, AWS, cloud watch, there, maybe something else on prem and everything is dynamically scaling up and down. If a VM instance only lives for say, thirty minutes during a peak, and then disappears, how do you effectively track its performance history or troubleshoot what happened?
Speaker 1: Question? Let's drill down a bit for the Linux administrators listening. What specific metrics become even more crucial to watch in the cloud context compared to on premise.
Speaker 2: Okay, we need deep insight. So when looking at CPU usage, it's vital to distinguish between user time that's your application running, and privileged time or system time, which is the kernel doing work.
Speaker 1: Why is that distinction so important now?
Speaker 2: Because if you see consistently high privileged time, it often indicates poor performance caused by the underlying hypervisor or maybe noisy neighbors on the physical host. That's potentially the provider's problem, not your application code. Knowing that difference helps you open the right kind of support ticket.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's a great example of how monitoring helps navigate that shared responsibility model. What else?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, for DISCO, you absolutely must track input output operations per second IOPs, especially with Linux file systems. Hitting IOPs limits is a common bottleneck. If your IOPs are spiking, you probably need to scale up your storage tier, maybe get faster, not just make the VM bigger.
Speaker 1: Got it, disc speed not just size right.
Speaker 2: And critically, for memory utilization, you need to track paging events or swap activity. Excessive paging where the VM is constantly swapping memory out to DISC because it doesn't have enough RAM is probably the clearest, most unambiguous sign that performance is tanking and you need more memory capacity for that workload.
Speaker 1: Okay, clear indicators there. So the native endor tools like Azure Monitor or cloud Watch, they give you data on individual servers or services, but they don't necessarily give you that unified enterprise wide dashboard view, especially if you've got that multi cloud or hybrid reality exactly.
Speaker 2: They're great for their own ecosystems, but they don't naturally palk to each other or integrate with your on prem tools to gain that truly comprehensive uniform view across everything. The sources highly recommend integrating third party monitoring tools think data Dog, Dina Trace, neuralic tools like that.
Speaker 1: And what do they bring to the table.
Speaker 2: They specialize in collecting and correlate metrics from every layer of the architecture, from the database queries up to the load balance or response times, maybe even front end user experience, regardless of which cloud vendor or which data center things are sitting on. That unified visibility is really the difference between proactive management and constantly just reacting to outages after they happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Let's shift gears now to defensive protection with Principle four, ensure your Linux vms are secure and backed up. Now, you mentioned shared responsibility earlier, and you said, if you take only one concept away from this whole deep dive, it should be the shared security responsibility model. Let's really nail this.
Speaker 2: Down, we have to. This is probably the single most misunderstood concept in cloud and where customers frankly fail all the time. Let's clearly define the line in the sand. The cloud provider is responsible for security of the cloud.
Speaker 1: Okay, of the cloud meaning the.
Speaker 2: Physical security of the data centers, the security of the global network infrastructure, the security of their managed services like the hypervisor or the storage fabri They secure the building and its core systems.
Speaker 1: Right, And the cloud customer is responsible for security.
Speaker 2: In the cloud exactly. Security in the cloud this means your customer data, the security of the operating systems you choose to run, like Linux, patching those ocs, configuring firewalls, managing your application security, identity and access management IAM, and crucially encryption. You secure everything you put inside the building.
Speaker 1: And you specifically called out encryption there.
Speaker 2: Why because customers often forget that last part. Encryption of data at rest on your VMS or in your databases is almost always the customer's job. By default. The provider gives you the tools, but you have to turn them on and manage the keys.
Speaker 1: Okay, So to fulfill your side of the bargain, you need to leverage the tools the provider gives you, like network security groups, cloud firewalls, strong im controls, using things like virtual private clouds of vpcs or v nets for logical network isolation.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, those are your primary tools for securing things in the cloud.
Speaker 1: Now, let's connect security with disaster recovery or dr When we're planning for DR we always talk about RTO and RPO. Can you quickly define those?
Speaker 2: Sure? RTO that's the recovery time objective. It's the maximum acceptable time allowed to restore your service after a disaster hits. How fast you need to be back online?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: And RPO the recovery point objective. That's the maximum acceptable amount of data loss, usually measured in time like can you afford to lose the last hour of data or only the last five minutes?
Speaker 1: Right? I remember, you know, ten fifteen years ago, running a DR drill was this massive annual event. It cost a fortune because you were essentially paying for idle hot standby physical infrastructure sitting in a dedicated secondary site just waiting.
Speaker 2: For disaster exactly millions sometimes just for that insurance, and.
Speaker 1: The cloud changes the entire financial stress test of that situation, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It dramatically shifts that rto cost trade off curve. Really, because cloud elasticity allows you to quickly provisioned compute resources only when the recovery is actually needed, not paying for them to sit idle twenty four to seven, you can often achieve a much faster recovery time, a shorter RTO at a significantly reduced infrastructure costs compared to those traditional dedicated DR sites. Basically, you can often afford faster recovery metrics because the hardware effectively sits powered off in the cloud until you declare disaster and need to spin it up.
Speaker 1: So modernizing backup and DR in the cloud means maybe outsourcing the whole backup process via managed services like Azure backup or AWS backup, and using built in replication tools maybe like Azure Site Recovery or cloud Endure, which can effectively eliminate the need for that second expensive physical data center altogether for many workloads.
Speaker 2: That's exactly the modern approach.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, that brings us to our final and arguably most strategic capstone Principal five. Governance often sounds like boring paperwork, but you suggested it's actually one of the most complex parts of moving to and operating in the cloud.
Speaker 2: Why is that because the cloud, by its nature, abstracts location and control in ways that introduce massive new complexities, especially around legal issues, compliance and data disclosure regulations. The source specifically highlights things like data sovereignty laws.
Speaker 1: Ah right, the rules that say data belonging to citizens of a certain country must physically remain stored within that.
Speaker 2: Country's borders exactly. So if a cloud provider has regions all over the world, you as the architect or administrator, have the responsibility to ensure that the data for say, your German customers, is provision only in an EU region like Germany or Frankfurt and isn't accidentally replicated or backed up to a US region for instance. That requires careful governance policies.
Speaker 1: And beyond just the legal complexity, there's often a customer concern. Isn't there about trusting the provider with sensitive data given the shared nature of the resources and maybe having less direct visibility compared to their old on premise environments.
Speaker 2: That's a huge factor. You're relying on the provider security for the underlying layers. You're on shared hardware. It requires a different level of trust and verification.
Speaker 1: So how do you, as the customer maintain strategic control and ensure compliance and manage that trust.
Speaker 2: Through rigorous governance mechanisms provided by the cloud platform. We're talking about strict role based access control RBAC, making sure people only have the minimum permissions they need. We're talking about network security groups and policies, and crucially using hierarchical account provisioning.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Dividing your potentially sprawling cloud resources into logical containers, separate departments, different projects, distinct subscriptions or accounts. This allows you to ring fence costs, apply specific security policies only where needed, and manage access at scale. It's fundamental to staying organized and secure.
Speaker 1: Okay, And finally, when it comes to trusting the global cloud vendor, you can't exactly send your own auditors to physically inspect their massive, highly secured data centers around the world. So how is that confidence that trust actually established.
Speaker 2: It's established through what the source calls delegated trust. Since direct physical auditing by every customer is completely infeasible and frankly a security risk in itself. Trust is established by relying on independent, recognize third party audits and certifications, So.
Speaker 1: You look for their badges essentially.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, you rely on standardized reports like SC one or SEC two, which a test to financial and operational controls. You look for industry specific certifications like ISO twenty seven, DEERO zero zero six, AR seven zero zero two for security management, or maybe HYPOLAA for healthcare data or PCIDSS for payment card data. These aren't just acronyms on a web page. They represent formal attestations by accredited auditors that the cloud provider has implemented the required security standards, management controls, and operational procedures at that foundational infrastructure level. You delegate the auditing trust to these recognized bodies.
Speaker 1: Okay, So wrapping it up, the five strategic principles for mastering Linux in the cloud. Start with cloud readiness and planning, build for availability and resilience, Implement unified monitoring across the stack, ensure security and disaster recovery through that shared model, and finally, overlay rigorous governance. It really does feel like a roadmap to avoiding both technical and financial headaches.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is, And notice the underlying theme the shift is profound. The cloud vendor takes responsibility for securing the cloud infrastructure, but the customer retains full responsibility for securing their application, their data, their identities, their access in.
Speaker 1: The cloud, which fundamentally changes the game.
Speaker 2: It fundamentally means the long term role of the traditional system administrator is changing dramatically. They have to evolve.
Speaker 1: They need to become strategists right embracing development practices, cloud architecture principles, and maybe most importantly, understanding and implementing these governance strategies. It's really no longer just about racking and stacking physical matas.
Speaker 2: Not at all. It's about strategic automation, compliance, security, posture management, cost optimization.
Speaker 1: So here's a final thought to leave of our listeners with building on that, if the cissed men's role is shifting towards governance, towards managing identity and access, yeah, it raises a crucial question for you listening, Are you and your organization actually structured to effectively audit your own identity and access management, i AM policies within the cloud or is that maybe the biggest blind spot you've accidentally created or outsourced without realizing it.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, that's a good one. Definitely something to mull over who's watching the watchers.
Speaker 1: Essentially exactly something to think about until our next deep dies.
Speaker 2: Thanks for breaking down these principles today, my pleasure is a great discussion