Speaker 1: The right fart.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 3: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Saxon Cakes in the A app. Goward Broway, Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the iHeartRadio app. We've been banished to the internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sachs.
Speaker 4: October is here, Scam is here, Sax and Kate's in the am. You're on your own home a show he Otani and the Los Angeles Dodgers AM five seventy LAS Sports. Thanks for being with us here until nine o'clock. The will the pass things off to Colin Cowherd, Rogan and Rodney or here from noon until three and then the petros A Money Show live and local from Dodgers Stadium during the Dodgers and Padres workouts beginning at three o'clock this afternoon. Coming up in about twenty minutes, we'll check in with Tony gwyn Junior from the Padres Radio broadcast get his thoughts on this Dodgers Padres NLDS and rematch from two years ago as the Dodgers look to get past the divisional round for the first time in the last three years. David Vassa joined us in the last hour as well. You heard from Brandon Gomes earlier, Dave Roberts earlier. Just heard from Chris Taylor last segment talking about hoping to turn things around in the postseason after a dismal twenty twenty four regular season. Saxy, this this Dodgers team was show hey, O Tani, I think about show hey. The last six years we get talked about this a lot baseball purgatory, if you will, down in Anaheim, never made the playoffs, and here he is an MVP, the Goat, the Unicorn, the fifty to fifty club, all by himself and tomorrow night, Saxy at five thirty eight first pitch will be the first time ever he has played.
Speaker 3: In a postseason game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Tim, that you pointed out in baseball Purgatory, down down in Anaheim. Look what happens when he comes to an organization where you really have to raise the bar of expectancy, because that's what it is when you're playing for the Dodgers. His numbers explode when he gets over here, So you know, it does it does mean something. You put somebody in the right environment, they can even be better than what you thought. And that's what we're seeing with shoe Otani.
Speaker 4: And what's cool is he has come and helped this Dodgers team collectively get to that next level with his presence at the top of the lineup as a designated hitter, his power, his speed has certainly the ability to get on base, but the last few weeks of the season Sexy. A lot of the Dodger players will tell you he was that fire for this Dodgers team.
Speaker 3: You can see the emotion.
Speaker 4: Really for the first time for a guy who's pretty emotionless. Base hit a home run, the primal scream. He hit a home run in Miami to get to fifty or fifty one on that day in which he hit the three home runs, and he throws his bat and he looks back at the Dodger dugout and starts screaming let's go.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: This is a guy who, when he signed with the Dodgers said I want to win. I'm here because this team invests in championship teams and makes it every year an opportunity to go to the postseason and a chance to win a World Series. Deferred all that money that we've talked about for the last seven months of him, you know, taking the money and wanting the Dodgers to disperse it to other players so they can surround him at this Dodgers team with more talent. He's all about winning, and I absolutely love that. Certainly, he is the unicorn and he's getting paid and he is the most recognizable face right now in baseball, but he wants to win.
Speaker 3: Saxy.
Speaker 5: Yes, I love that too, because you see a lot of this Western culture and a lot of the way that baseball has played over here, kind of rubbing off on him a little bit. I love that too. If he throw the bad lookout where the team and scream let's go, you won't see him. You won't see people do that in Japan. It's a lot different there. It's a lot more subdued, it's a lot more traditional, but you see that here, and boy, he is really becoming the best version that you could ever imagine that a Sho Heo Tani could be. Look at the numbers, look at what he brings besides just playing. I mean, like you said, his personality is rubbing off on everybody and then having him at the top of the order, Tim just really looms large against the other team that he can change this game with one swing of the bat with his legs. If he's on the mound, he can do it. This guy is like the greatest talent we've seen in generations, and the Dodgers got him at least four, probably five at bats every game.
Speaker 4: Eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two five seventy. Call your shot, Dodger fans now going into this NLDS.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of you because I see the comments. I hear the calls.
Speaker 4: I have my ear to the ground here in southern California, and I hear it all the time leading up to this NLDS this last week or so. Well, we'll see what happens come postseason. Will the stars be stars? They absolutely must be, Mookie Freddie Otani. These guys must be the stars that they're paid to be and we know them to be over the course of a regular season. Do you think they can be? And will they be? Eight sixty six ninety seven to two, five seventy games get shrunken, the outs becoming a premium. Pitching becomes really good come postseason because these teams are here for a reason because they're good as well. How does this Dodger team fair going into this NLDS against the San Diego Padres who are trying to slay the beast, slay the dragon, as they're saying down in San Diego. Oscar and Baldon Park, Oscar, Welcome to Saxon Kate's and am how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Oscar?
Speaker 6: Good morning, gentlemen. This is becoming a great tradition with your guy about seven eight years I you guys been doing this. Mister Dax is only the honored talk to al a sports legend. Hey, Homie, Doggy, Doggy, Homey Kate. This is the year, man, this is the this is the year. I hadn't by because Tani, I think, like you guys are just saying, I think he's with all said and done, he's gonna be a Michael Jordan time, Wayne Gretzky Joe Montana baby blue type player, and we have him in LA. He has to win and the only way he gets his winning and he knows that he's a smart guy. You know. I think the other guys feed off his energy. And this is I think this is the year. Man especially, I told myself, I'm not gonna get invested until they at least one game up in the ALCS. That's that's bs man. I'm ready to go. I'm ready to go. They got to take care of these podjects quick. Get them out at three games, don't don't, don't mess around, take care of him. Send a message to the rest of the league that they're already. They're ready to a mission. They have to come with that fire man. That's what we've been missing the past four or five years. They don't have that fire that in the belly. They're they're too professional. They're too professional. In the playoffs, they didn't get a little little rugg in. And this is our your though, man, and I think if ty's.
Speaker 3: The key, all right, we'll do that, all right, appreciate it, thanks for your call.
Speaker 7: Like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they need a little fire in the belly. A lostar's got it down.
Speaker 5: He's he's he consents what's going on here, and he's right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Canon Tarzana is next up here on a FI seventy l A Sports Welcome, Ketty, how you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well, Hey, Tim. I was out there with my sister Diana Chrancela Hill and hello you.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you in person. That was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perhaps he's listening right now, and Steve's always great to hear your voice in October. You so, yes, Oscar hits me on the head there and yeah, we've been a little bit too laid back in the postseason. Need to have some energy. I didn't want to talk about Machado. I don't think Machado ever watched Pete Rose. I just want to talk about Rose on the field. But I think Steve, you're a great hustler on the field like Rose was. And you know, Machado led the league or actually the big leagues in double plays this year, and I think that's why, you know, we don't appreciate him, and it's always fun to brew him. I did want to take a little bit of an exception though, to one thing that was said in terms of Jacksonville. A wonderful player. Love to have him on my teams. But Schemes of Pittsburgh is right there neck and neck for Rookie of the Year, so we'll see that'll be a close vote. Of course, Chury over the Brewers might end up taking it. And also just in terms of and Steve knows this, going back to nineteen eighty eight, you know you had Kenseco and Maguire went a collective two for thirty six. But you got to look at going back to the A's Gene tennis, you got all these guys who won the MVP, Scott Rosis. It doesn't have to be your number one player comes through for you. Now, You're right when the Red Sox won twenty eighteen, they had kind of a no name guy with the MVP and Mooki he had about two forty for them. So you can win without your your big game players doing it. But I'm really looking forward to it and hopefully this year we can overcome the injuries to the pitching and do it. Anything can happen on October.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, all right, k I appreciate the phone call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, certainly you want your superstars to produce and your stars to be stars, but sure It's gonna take somebody like a Maximuncie, who is a really good player and an All Star. It's gonna take Taoscar Hernandez carrying over what he did in twenty twenty fours regular season here to the postseas. It's gonna take a Gavin lux who had a really good second half of the season for the Dodgers Saxy. Yeah, it's gonna take him having a base hit to extend an inning or get on base and then turn that lineup over for Otani, Freeman and Bett.
Speaker 3: It's gonna take one of those guys to do something.
Speaker 5: Sure, And I was gonna say that, you know, it's gonna take somebody like a Danny Duffy, you know, way back when, to really kind of do this for a postseason. But the Dodgers don't have any Danny Duffies. They got so many great players. But I understand what you're saying. It doesn't have to be Otani. It could be, you know, certainly somebody else that comes out of their skin and just has an unbelievable postseason. We've seen it happen so many times. And Ken did mention I want to say a get a shout out right now to Paul Skeens. This great young phenom went to the Air Force Academy as well. This guy is just a phenomenal guy, and what a phenomenal pitcher. He's got a huge future in front of him.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 4: And I feel bad I forgot about him when I said Jackson Merrill should be the Rookie of the Year. Jackson Curio in Milwaukee. Yes, is a young, absolute stud stud. It'll be three It'll be a three way race, no doubt, and Skeins will probably win it because he's Paul Skins and the attention that he's getting.
Speaker 3: But no knock on Jackson Merrill this season he had down at all.
Speaker 4: And you can make the argument, should a starting pitcher win it over a position player whosically played every day, hit nearly three hundred, hit over twenty home runs, and nearly drove in one hundred RBIs this year in his rookie season. Has an argument right there? Then, Yeah, you know his position player deserves it more than a pitcher. Maybe they should have Rooky of the Year for a pitcher and for you know, a regular player it because it is hard. There's such you know, two different, absolutely different parts of the game.
Speaker 5: So we'll see.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Lewis in La Is next up here on a FI seventy l A Sports with Steve Sacks, Tim Kats Morning Lewis.
Speaker 8: Hi, guys, thank you again for taking my call.
Speaker 6: I have two things I want to say.
Speaker 8: First of all, I want to know why the Dodgers are starting Yamamoto over over Jack.
Speaker 4: Flarerty Well, they're doing that for strategic reasons. For what they said, in order to give Jack Flarity four days rest for a possible Game five and Yamamoto that extra five days rest because he has not pitched on four days rest during the regular season. So if they get to a Game five and they need one or both of those guys to pitch in Game five, one of them will be on normal rest. The other one will be also be on somewhat normal rest. So it's just they're saying it.
Speaker 3: To yourategic one more reason, thank you.
Speaker 8: One more thing I want to say is for the for the fans attending the games tomorrow and Sunday, just to bring in the energy throughout the game, because what I saw from San Diego, I know that this team that in the city, they can provide that energy ten times more and and for them to restrict tickets and within the county, I mean, I hope, I hope and pray that they bring all the energy in the world to this this weekend to help the Dodgers momentum in securing these wins.
Speaker 4: That's also Lewis appreciate the phone call Saxy's referring to the Padres front office their ticket department. You cannot buy tickets to Petco Park for a playoff game if you do not live in their geo fans, if you do not live in a zip code that is in San Diego and I believe Riverside County, if you live in an LA County, Orange County area zip code, you are not allowed to buy tickets online.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: You can buy certainly from our friend Barry at Berry's tickets dot Com in the secondary market, but to buy them directly off of MLB or Padres dot com. You cannot buy tickets if you're a Dodger fan unless your zip code on your billing statement there is a zip code in the San Diego area. They started this about a year ago because they were tired of Peco Park becoming Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 5: South Yeah, they're trying to pack the park yep with only Padre fans. Okay, I get it, but I don't know. I say expand you know, let everybody in. And you know there's the there is you know there's Padre fans in New York too, So I say let everybody in.
Speaker 4: Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy Dodger fans will find a way to get in there and represent. No doubt about a Fabian in Pasadena is next up here on Dodgers FI seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: They doing Fabian.
Speaker 9: I'm doing well.
Speaker 1: How are you doing, sir?
Speaker 5: Doing good?
Speaker 3: What's going on? What's on your mind this morning? How are you feeling leading up to Game one of this NLDS.
Speaker 9: I'm feeling fantastic. And the reason I'm feeling fantastic is we have the best team. And the message that I want to get out to the people is that at least the people that are feeling pessimistic, they need an attitude adjustment. If you start to answer the questions that I'm going to put out, all of these questions are answered by Dodgers. Who has the best player on the planets? Wringing a scorching hot bats, which team has three leg three league MVP benning one two three, Which team has an October Key game? Which team has a home run champion? All of these questions are answered by Dodgers, and I just think we just need to get out there, root for our team and support them.
Speaker 6: I'm with that, the best team.
Speaker 5: I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I'll play the flip side of that argument, Fabian and I appreciate it. Who's got two superstars and Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts that were combined one for the NLDS a year ago.
Speaker 3: Who's got the superstar?
Speaker 4: And Showi Otani who has never played in a postseason baseball game, So we don't know what he's like in October. And not that I don't think he won't rise to the occasion, Saxy, nor will he won't produce. But you know, part of me, in the back of my mind is thinking baseball in October is different. You know, it's not the World Baseball Classic, which was a big stage. But he is not played in October. He's not lived in the postseason and played in a best of five series and had the pressure of every bat, every inning, all twenty seven outs, are important.
Speaker 5: Yes. And here's one thing I found by playing in postseason tim especially in the World Series, is that a lot of a lot of the hype and the build up before before the game is just that it's it's you know, when you start that game and you're into the second or third inning of the World Series, it's like a regular game. It really is, especially when you're playing in front of a full house all the time. You know, Dodgers playing in front of a pack stadium almost every game at home, and so when they get into the World Series here, it'll it'll be a lot of hype. The first inning or two will be a little different, not much, but then once you get into the the meat of the game and it's flowing. I really didn't notice much of the difference at all as far as it being in the World Series.
Speaker 4: Paul and Huntington Beach is next up here on Scam Sax and Kate's and they am on your Home with the Dodgers pay in five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Paul, hey man, thanks for saying my cal Mu's be October.
Speaker 3: We got sacked on the.
Speaker 9: Radio, dude.
Speaker 10: Good to hear from you man. Thanks Paul, Hey, listen, I feel like the Dodgers have pererfected running the marathon. I mean, they go one hundred and sixty two games, they win the division, they got the best record in baseball, number one seed, all the things, and this year in particular, it's kind of wild considering all the nonsense they had to do, deal with forty pitchers, all the injuries, all the things. However, baseball, unlike any other sport, you run a marathon for the right to run a sprint, and now the Dodgers are gearing up for a sprint, and it seems like in recent years the Dodgers are trying to run a sprint the same way they run a marathon, and it has ended poorly. I agree with everyone. On paper, right the Dodgers look good. They are well positioned to do well in October. But the way they go about it game in and game out has got to be in the moment. Win this game, this moment right now. So that's kind of my take. Having been a guy that didn't play for fifteen years like Usaxy, I'd like your take on that. Do they have to adjust the way they attack the moment differently than you did? For one hundred and sixty two. Hey with that, man, have a good one and we'll check in as the October rolls on.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Paul, Thanks Paul. I would answer that by saying, it all starts with the pitching, and that's where it's going to end to whatever team pitches best the last two weeks of the season on through the playoffs is generally the team that's gonna be the World Series champion. I see that because, I mean the pitchers usually dominate good pitching, he's gonna be good hitting.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: The question is how much can that great firepower of the Dodgers, and it's real, how much can that mitigate maybe the slight edge that the Padres might have and their three starters versus ours. We don't know yet. I mean, some people think it's going to be a straight slate right across and the pitching's not going to be that much of a difference. But I think it's how much the firepower of the Dodgers can can neutralize, you know, a you Darvish at his best, or a Dylan Seas going out there and showing why he struck out two hundred and twenty four hitters this year. Or Michael King and his last out and you saw what he did with that, with that kind of a side winding delivery, that's very tough to pick up. How much can the Dodgers neutralize that firepower of the Padres is gonna be where it's the you know where it's won.
Speaker 4: And lost Padres saying they got a date with a dragon, and that dragon is a he's known as the Dodgers. K one of the nlds is tomorrow night out of Dodger Stadium. When we come back here on Saxon Kates in the am, we'll talk to Tony Gwyn, junior Padres broadcaster, get his thoughts on this Dodgers Padres matchup, what they did during the regular season in battle the now, how they match up for this best of five series starting tomorrow. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number between now and nine o'clock. We got a pair of tickets to go see Game one in person at Dodgers Stadium. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Steve Sacks, Tim Kats and you on this Friday morning. Thanks for being with us on AFI seventy LA Sports Saxon Kates in the am on your home of the Dodgers an FI seventy LA Sports. You can listen to the Dan Patrick Show on the iHeart Radio app as we are live in local for the start of the Dodgers play off run Game one of the n l DS is tomorrow, Dodgers Padres first pitch at five thirty eight. Right here on AMFI seventy LA Sports is the Padres have a quote Date with a Dragon And it's a series we've all been waiting for since spring training, since they squared off in Seoul, South Korea, for those two games back in late March. And here we are the first week of October. It's the NLDS Dodgers and the Padres. Tim Kates, Steve Sacks and now joining us Tony Gwinn Junior, part of the Padres radio broadcast as a show in the afternoons in San Diego as well.
Speaker 3: Tony appreciate this time. Good morning, my man, How you doing.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Tim, Steve, how you guys doing?
Speaker 4: Hi, Tony doing great? Doing great? And checking out Padres dot com. The first thing that sticks out to me right now is the got a date with the Dragon? How excited are the Padre fans, Padre nation and this Padres team to be in LA and we're off against the Dodgers yet again, I think.
Speaker 7: They're as excited as I can remember. Uh maybe since like you know, the the late nineties. You know, I think the Padres uh, I think coming into this season, nobody really knew how this was gonna play. You know, you're cutting payroll. You moved some pretty big pieces off that team, Soto Maca, just a few of themm Seth Lugo, and they were like pretty big pieces. Blake Snell. You lose those type of pieces, there's usually a little bit of drop off. But we come to this point and I think, like man, he said, this is kind of the matchup everybody's been looking forward to and not often in in baseball doesn't work out like this, but U it should be a tremendous, tremendous NLDS.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tony, good to be with you this morning. I wanted to I wanted to ask you a little bit. Maybe you can give a little insight to Dylan c let our listeners know what the Dodgers are exactly up against. You know, this year struck out two hundred and twenty four batters, which was phenomenal in the one eighty one hundred and eighty nine pitch innings that he pitched this year. But I like his whip just a little over one. That's walks and hits per innings pitched at just a little over one. If you're in that neighborhood, you're doing a pretty darn good job overall. So give us a little synopsis on what they can expect from Dylan Cees.
Speaker 7: Dylan is a high velocity, high spin type guy that really pounds the zone and trying to speaks to that whip you're talking about. I mean, you'll have segments in time where he's a little bit off and you know, missing just off, but for the most part, he's in the zone. He's always on the attack. You got a tremendous slider that he uses pretty much anytime he wants, and he can reach velocity up to ninety nine one hundred miles per hour. So he's the type of pitcher that you know and give you a no hitter, as we saw earlier this year, and can dominate some pretty talented lineups. He's certainly a good number one to start an NLDS With Tony.
Speaker 4: We talk about the Dodgers lineup a lot about where's the break, where is the where's the breath. You can take as a picture facing one through nine and you look at this Padres lineup from Luisa Rise all the way down to Machada in the clean off spot, to Jackson Merrill, to Boguards, all the way down to Crona Worth. This Padres lineup with the addition of a rise and the emergence of Jackson Merrill with the guys they already had. You talk about the depletions from last year's roster, the additions they made not only with the arms, but in this lineup with a rise in the emergence of of Merrill one through nine. This is pretty darn impressive.
Speaker 7: No, this is I think this is one of aj Preler's best work in terms of putting together a complete roster. Not only is the lineup lengthy, but there's depths even off the bench. You know, whether you're you're starting Solono or you're bringing them off the bench or a guy like David Peralta, who you guys saw a little bit last year. These guys have been so impactful in terms of when you do have to match up, you've got guys that can do it. In terms of that lineup, I mean you mentioned you mentioned about seven guys there that's not even to mission. A guy like Kyle Gashioka sitting ninth for this team, had about seventeen homers during the season and really stabilized the catching position in a.
Speaker 1: Lot of ways.
Speaker 7: This reminds me of some of the more dynamic Dodger lineups in terms of length, in terms of taking pitchers out to the deep end. With the type of it bats that you get from this lineup, it really causes stress on not just starters, but even bullpen guys that come in because you know, you know it's not gonna be your your typical four or five pitch at bat. You're gonna be dragged out six, seven, eight, nine to ten pitches. And when you start doing that one through nine, the pitchers start to add up, the stress starts to add up, and then you kind of see the damn brenk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know you just stolet my thunder there, Tony. I was gonna ask you just about Kyle Higashioka and what he's done in this offseason, but uh, tell us a little bit about the strength and defense up the middle in center field, and certainly, you know, you you guys have got some speed out there. You can run down balls. And how much does that really play in to a pitcher's mindset knowing that he doesn't have to be perfect out there. He's got strength in the middle and speed that can back him up on defense.
Speaker 7: And certainly it certainly plays a big part in a pitcher's confidence knowing that he doesn't necessarily have to get a punch in order to get through inning. And it didn't start out that way this year. I mean the Padres struggled to control the run game early. You know, Hot sude Kim got off to a slow star defensive, think Bogarts was changing from shortstop to second that took a little bit of a while, look a little while to materialize. And then Merrill, who hasn't played centerfield in his entire life, was really learning a new position. It took a couple of months for it to kind of settle, But after it did, the defense has been tremendous and I think you saw the pitching get better as that defensive, you know, center up the middle kind of settled in and so you know, Kim's no longer a short obviously he's gone for a year. Bogie slides back to shortstop. You get to move a guy like Jay Crolinworths, who is a tremendous defender up to middle and now Jackson Marra. I think in the last month he started to really adapt to center field. I mean, he's all he doesn't make any mistakes out there, but now you're starting to see better route running, You're starting to see a better for a step, and that just tells me that he's starting to get comfortable. This defense up to middle is is probably as good as it's been all year.
Speaker 8: For the Pods.
Speaker 5: Tony I saw him. I saw him make a kind of a route mistake with Solaire at bat. Come take one or two steps in, and that athleticism in centerfield to go back and one step you know, on the on the warning track leap and make that catch. That was huge in this game. And it was because of that speed and athleticism that he has in center field. I don't it doesn't look like he spent you know, a ton of time away from center field. I know he's new there, but this guy can change the game. In the outfield.
Speaker 1: He can't.
Speaker 7: And you know that's honestly, that's honestly one of the few mistakes that he's made this year, and it's still resulted in and out. And so Jackson has been, you know, as for a twenty one year old kid coming up to the big leagues, not only offensively but defensively, has really been a key cog in the lineup. I mean they've done offensively, they've done everything they could to protecting and all he's done is shown that he does needing protection. He was hitting eighth in the beginning of the year. He's moved all the way up to fifth, I mean, hitting behind Manny Machau. That just tells you how much Mike Shield in this organization. Think of him.
Speaker 3: You just mentioned his name, Tony Mike Schild.
Speaker 4: What he meant uh to this, this Padres team on the bench this year in his first year as skipper, was there as a consultant. But you know, takes over when Bob Melvin leaves, Uh, he comes in and inherits a Padres team that maybe maybe people thought, well the clubhouts a little too wild, there's not enough control. They need somebody to stabilize it. Is he the right guy for this team.
Speaker 7: There's there's no question, And I think you know, you bring up a great point him being a consultant for two years here. I think that allowed him to get to know guys on a different level before he even took over as manager, so he had established relationships. I think those guys knew who he was prior to him coming over here, and there was a certain level of respect, and then they got the chance to meet him on a personal basis. And his ability to communicate and really kind of carved out individual relationships I think has played a huge part in him being able to grab these guys ear and get them to pull the rope in the same direction. I think we've talked a little bit about the moves they've made in terms of this season and this roster, but I don't think there was a bigger move to bring him. Just the kind of attention to detail you saw this twenty twenty three team. It was a very talented team that didn't do a lot of the little things. They couldn't move runners, they couldn't They were one of the worst teams, but runners in scoring position, and so those were things that they focused heavily on early and that's the foundation in which this offense has I think become one of the best offenses in baseball, and it's it's attention to details. They still have the type of offense that can put up a crooked number with homers, but they do a lot of the little things that lead to winning a lot of ball games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tony, my final question for you is the end of the game and Robert Suarez and what they got down there in the bull been This guy can flat out bring it. Thirty six saves this year and he was pretty amazing. Had a whip just right around one. Tell us a little bit about mister Suarez.
Speaker 7: You know, Robert, you know, came into this year having to really prove that he could be a closer on a consistent basis. I think each of the first couple of years he's been with the team, he's missed the half. Injuries have had, you know, a factor in his year. This year, he's been healthy all year, and you know, he had a little rocky month of August slash September, but he seemingly has corrected it. And what I think I love about Robert is his low post. You know, He never looks like there's any panic. Even when things get a little tough, he is. He's just got a very low polst demeanor and you need that, especially this kind of year. And it's not just Swarrez. I mean, obviously, this back end of the bullpen is super deep. You got a guy like Tanners Scott was for tomorrow's. You got a guy like Jason Adam, you got the young kid Jeremiah Strouder who was setting the world on fire earlier. This is a deep, deep bullpen and Roberts Swarez is just kind of like the cherry on top when you get to.
Speaker 4: The ninth Tony, we appreciate you popping on this morning, bright and early. Uh maybe we'll see you out at the workouts this afternoon at Dodgers Stadium, no doubt. We'll see you at the stadium tomorrow for the start of this NLDS Game one, Dodgers and Padres. I know, both cities, both teams, all the fan bases looking forward to this. We really appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 5: This morning, no problem.
Speaker 6: I'll see you guys at the yard later on to date.
Speaker 4: So jolly there, he goes Tony Gwenn junior. All right, Dodger fans eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy, We're gonna come back. We're gonna get Steve's prediction for this series, and we're giving away a pair of tickets to Game one of the nlds eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. How well do you know this Dodgers team eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. Call now and your chance to win tickets is next. Steve Sacks, Tim Kates, and you in for Dan Patrick. It's SAX and Kate's in the am right here on your home of the Dodgers an FI seventy LA Sports. Sax and Kate's in the am on this Friday morning. Thanks for being with us on your morning drive. They commuting into work, school, just hanging out on a Friday morning. We appreciate you making this part of your morning. You're on a five seventy LA sports. Game one of the NLDS is tomorrow night, Dodgers and Padres. Dodgers on deck of four thirty, first pitch of five thirty eight. Don't forget Petro Some Money will be live at Dodgers Dadium beginning at three o'clock today. It'll be Matt money Smith joined by David Vase, our Dodger insider. All Right, Saxy, before we get to your predictions here, the little sax says, the Dodgers will win because let's give away these tickets here to game one of the NLDS. So we're gonna do it a little different. These these walk up songs that the Dodger players and athletes use nowadays are very popular, and players take a lot of pride in the songs that they pick to walk up to their bed.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's a whole thing, is it?
Speaker 5: Is it more important than the bass hit?
Speaker 3: I bet for some of these guys, it may be. It may be.
Speaker 5: So never trade that.
Speaker 4: Uh we're gonna bring you on and uh, we're gonna play a little snippet of a song. You gotta tell us which player it is that uses this as their walk up song. You're gonna You're gonna have me tell you who the listener, the listener.
Speaker 5: The listener. Yeah, you're gonna not get anything from me.
Speaker 4: And I look at the name of these songs and these artists, and I'm like, I don't know who these people are. But we will start with our first contestant. It's gonna be Aaron and Coast and Meason your first stuff. You get to go first. You draw the first song, Aaron.
Speaker 3: You know how it goes.
Speaker 4: We're gonna play a little snippet here of a walk up song for a certain Dodger player. Then you gotta tell us who it is. If you're correct, you're gonna win tickets tomorrow's game. All right, all right, sounds good? All right, Aaron, take a listen, all right, Aaron, whose walk up.
Speaker 3: Song is that? Ooh no it is not, No, it is not appreciate that. Let's go to Olivia and Manta Bella.
Speaker 4: We're gonna switch up and play a different song for you, Olivia, because maybe you knew that song, maybe you didn't. But Olivia, we're gonna play a little snippet of a of a song. And again, you just tell us which player of the Dodgers uses that as a walk up song.
Speaker 3: It's a real sem the player.
Speaker 4: And you don't have to tell you don't. You don't tell us the name of the song. I'm not even looking for that you just gotta tell us the player that uses that walk up song. So, all right, here we go. Here's the second song from this Dodger player. What player uses this one? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: All right, Olivia? You've heard it? Who uses that as their walk up song?
Speaker 6: Oh Man called Blue World?
Speaker 3: Blue World by Mac Miller.
Speaker 8: Blue Word by Mac Miller. I'm gonna go with.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, I need a guess?
Speaker 4: H No, no, Olivia, Unfortunately, Kevin in La, I'll give you the same song, Kevin. Let's hear a little bit more of that if we could? Michelle same song, Kevin in La, who uses this Blue World by mac Miller as their walk up song.
Speaker 3: Sa if you know no good but I'm gonna go with a guest, need a guess?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll go.
Speaker 4: With no close close appreciated Patrick in Arcadia Word to keep the same song for you. It's Blue World by mac Miller. It's his walk up song. Will hear a little bit more of it if we can? Michelle Patrick, who uses this as their walk up song Blue World by mac Miller. Which Dodger position player uses it as their walk up song?
Speaker 3: Patrick?
Speaker 6: Will Smith?
Speaker 4: No, no, so close, but yet not the right answer. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seven. I know this is your you know this sack. You just can't say it right? Yeah, exactly, I knew it.
Speaker 3: I knew it. Eric and Pomona, same song, Where Do Go?
Speaker 4: Blue World by Mac Miller, which position player for the Dodgers used this as a walk up.
Speaker 6: Hello, Yeah, sorry, I want to go with Mac Munty.
Speaker 4: No, no, it is not Max Munsey, And that's not Max Munsey. All right, we're gonna switch up eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy We're gonna switch up this song, uh to a Dodger player that uses this as their walk up song.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 4: If you're correct, you're gonna win tickets to tomorrow's game one of the n l DS Dodgers and the Padres.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: The the name of this song is from Loope Fiasco. Am I saying that right? I'm totally butchering it. The answer to the other one, by the way, was Tommy Edmund Blue World by Mac Miller. Tommy Edmund Dodger use utility star.
Speaker 3: But here you go. This is gonna be Todd in Baldwin Park.
Speaker 7: Todd.
Speaker 3: You get to guess this song? Whose walk up song is it?
Speaker 8: Can you give me the name of the startist.
Speaker 3: Loope Fiasco.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm gonna say to you Oscarde No.
Speaker 4: Ton, that's not the right answer, but appreciate it. Penny in La, Penny, same song, it's Loop a Fiasco. What is your guest, Penny.
Speaker 7: Hi, it's the man.
Speaker 10: It's show yes song, Yes, it is.
Speaker 4: The Show goes On by Loop a Fiasco for show Heyo Tani his walk up song?
Speaker 3: Did you know that already? Did you really or just a guess?
Speaker 6: I was just guessing.
Speaker 5: Oh, pretty good guess.
Speaker 7: Alright, alright, I'm sorry, but you know show goes on? You know you figure that's gotta be his?
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 4: Congratulations Penny in La. Will put you on hold, we'll get your information. You got a pair of tickets for Game one of the NLDS tomorrow. Yes, the show goes on by Loop a Fiasco. That was it is show hal Tani's song. So yeah, before that, what was the first one we had? Soak City was Gavin Lux's Soak City walk ups like it? And then of course mac Miller's song you heard from tomm Yehman and that was shoeans.
Speaker 5: I thought that was Max Max Munzies because of the Mac Miller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can see that.
Speaker 5: Try to put that together.
Speaker 4: Uh, Dodgers padres tomorrow, Saxy Yeah, Sax says the Dodgers will win Game one and win this series, because well, you want you want me to go on game one or do you want me to go on.
Speaker 5: The full slate? Whatever you want, Let's go full slow, let's do it. I think tomorrow is gonna be a very much of a determining factor, and I do think the Dodgers are going to win tomorrow. But listen, overall, I think it's gonna be the Dodgers in five. Now. I don't think it's gonna be easy. And I think there's gonna be some extenuating circumstances that we don't even know about that we can't even fathom right now that may cost him one game, who knows. But I think it's gonna be the Dodgers in five. Like I said, not easy, but we're gonna see show it show Hey O, Tanny O, Tawny absolutely shine during this playoff series. You're gonna see Freddy Freeman answer the bell. He's gonna be there, and he's gonna be Freddy Freeman lin lining that ball to less center field. But most of all, and I gotta I gotta predict this. You're gonna see the tiger come out of the cage and Mookie Betts. So I'm back, and don't forget about me. There's a reason that the Dodgers paid him over three hundred and sixty million bucks because the Tiger's about to come out of the cage.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you right now. My X factor in this series is a certain young man who was an All Star a year ago, played through injuries a year ago, was rewarded with a ten year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers. He is the anchor behind the plates. He had a he had it up and down twenty twenty four season, and I hope he is on the uptick here as we flipped the calendar to October. That of course is Dodger catcher Will Smith. A twenty home run season, seventy five RBIs and this is a down year for Will Smith. I think he emerges. He absolutely emerges here with everybody else, look at the Big three and tay Oscar Hernandez and yeah, Max Munts, he's a home run hitter.
Speaker 3: I think Will Smith is gonna sneak up on everything.
Speaker 5: And Will Smith has answered the bell in postseason before. All right, so we know one thing about him. He is a man that's of the moment, and we might see this your prediction come true. I'm not changing mind, but I like the Will Smith bett.
Speaker 4: Let's say things go south quickly in this first and and how soon before I text you tomorrow night and the Dodgers are down with a sense of panic.
Speaker 5: You think, no, I don't think that's gonna listen. I think what we're gonna see is all those those those fears gonna be subside, be subsiding in the hearts and minds of Dodger fans, because you're gonna see Shoho TAWNI quite possibly take control this game early tomorrow. Remember, I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: He's at the top of the order. You're gonna see him four or five times throughout the game at least. And that looms large in the defense man. They see this guy coming up to like, yikes, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: We will see Game one is tomorrow, Saxy. We're off and running. We'll be back on Monday recapping games one and two. I cannot wait.
Speaker 5: You and me will be talking before then.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, he is Steve Sas.
Speaker 4: Thanks to Michelle, Thanks to everybody for being a part of the show, listening to any Congratulations to Pinny in La. She is going to Game one of the nlds tomorrow and night. Our coverage continues here Colin Coward, Rogan and Rodney and then again starting at three o'clock today, the Petro Some Money Show with David Veasse live at the Dodgers and patres Workout.
Speaker 3: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: We got you locked and loaded right here on the Home of the Dodgers, AFI seven E LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.