Speaker 1: Small town girl Bonnie Lee Bakeley always dreamed of marrying a movie star. Her obsession with celebrities resulted in nine divorces until Bonnie eventually married famous actor Robert Blake. However, Bonnie learned being close to the spotlight comes with consequences. Within a year of her marriage, her Hollywood dream came to a tragic end when she was found fatally shot outside of a diner in North Hollywood. Bonnie's troubling past complicated detectives almost year long investigation into her murder, which had the lapd raking through Hollywood's underbelly of gangsters, drug addicts, and would be hitman. Her husband, Robert Blake, remained a prime suspect in her murder, but the media pointed the finger back at Bonnie, saying she had it coming from wondering. The execution of Bonnie Lee Bakeley is a thrilling new chapter in the hit Hollywood and crime podcast series. Robert Blake knew Bonnie spent most of her life as a con artist who dreamed of being famous. But when Robert Blake reluctantly let Bonnie stay in his guesthouse, it began the rule he become most famous for an accused murderer. You're about to hear a preview of the execution of Bonnie Lee Bakeley while you're listening. Follow the Execution of Bonnie Lee Bakeley on Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Spotify, or you can listen ad free by joining Wondery Plus in the Wondery app.
Speaker 2: It's a little after nine to thirty pm on May fourth, two thousand and one. Fireworks flash across the sky in Studio City, just over the Hollywood Hills. Cinco de Mayo has come a day early this year. Inside a small yellow house on a street sewn, Stanik sits at a desk in his robe. He's spending Friday night hunched over his keyboard writing a screenplay, hoping to become the next Quentin Tarantino. But tonight Stanik won't write another word. Outside his door is a man. He looks familiar, about sixty something short. He's breathing hard. You have to help my wife. She's bloody and she's been beaten. They beat her up. Oh my god, call nine one one. Then it clicks, Jesus, it's Robert Blake, the actor. Stanic seen him around the neighborhood. Where is she? Blake points across the street to a black Dodge parked in front of a dumpster. Stanik's confused. How did Blake's wife get into the car if she was beaten? Was there a domestic squabble? Stanic races to his bedroom. Dials nine one one addressed emergency.
Speaker 1: Okay, so crap, we need a woman.
Speaker 2: How old is she? She's forty five years old. Is she conscience, Robert, No, she's not cautio breathing? Is she breathing?
Speaker 1: The other they're coming up snow.
Speaker 2: The operator tells Stank to get a dry towel to stop any bleeding. Shit. He's still in his robe. He runs to the bedroom to change clothes, and here's Blake yell from the other room. Go back to the restaurant.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 2: Why isn't Blake going to the car to help his wife. Outside there's a light fog, the street empty, it's dark as soot. Then he sees the car next to the dumpster and rushes over. He peers in through the driver's window and spots the woman. Ma'am, oh my god, Okay, she's breathing.
Speaker 1: I don't know, are you okay, ma'am, are you okay?
Speaker 2: Stanik opens the door. The woman's hair is matted with blood and he can hear her taking ragged breaths. He places a towel around her head and applies pressure, and then he hears Blake calling from down the block.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with her? What happened?
Speaker 2: Stanik turns back to the injured woman. He tilts up her face. His stomach jumps. There's a gaping hole in the right side of her head. She's been shot. Minutes later, paramedics arrive and transfer the woman into an ambulance. Stanik finds Blake sitting on the curb. He sits next to him and puts his arm around his shoulder. By now, the street is teeming with squad cars. One of the officers approaches and asks Blake if he's related to the victim. Blake's voice is low, shaky. That's my wife. I knew this was going to happen. I knew it. She was afraid, you know. I carry my piece for protection. The officer asks if he still has it on him. Blake pulls the gun from his pocket. Stanik is suddenly all nerves. He tries to piece together the clues. If he did the scene as a director, he'd say the woman trusted whoever did this. Maybe the killer walked up and said something to her, then too late, the gun explodes. One of the hazards of working in Hollywood. Everything feels like a movie. Stanik won't be the first to speculate about what happened tonight. In the next few hours, newspapers and TV crews will swoop onto the scene hungry for headlines. It's been a slow news cycle, and this story has all the makings of a film noir thriller. A faded Hollywood actor, his murdered wife, everyone wanting to know who is this mysterious woman and who wanted her dead.
Speaker 1: You just heard a preview of the execution of Bonnie Lee Bakley. Listen to the rest of this episode wherever you get your podcasts.