Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services. I'm sure your most prized possessions, kat z R two, SAD and iHeartRadio Station.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jacob Zawas got our guy Henry in today. Welcome to Wednesday. That's something to ask you, Jay and I. That's the hecky way to start the show. But it's true. I don't remember what that. He goes in my mom it'll come to me and come to me. Welcome to Wednesday show. I think one of the things is it's a pretty good show. I think today you're gonna be gone Tomorrow and Friday. Are you getting ready to head to California? But today's a good show. It's gonna be a fun show. First half, the first hour is gonna be pretty good. We have Joe Turner. We're gonna joke about some of the jokes that he said many years ago. Uh, without knowing that he's joking right, without knowing he's one of those yogi berra guys, it says crazy stuff and then he looks, I guess that was funny. You know, it was funny. So we'll talk to him and then somebody guys, some one of the guys that we tried to get a while back because of the Olympics. Uh, and I'm glad we didn't because his sport is no longer or didn't didn't play in Paris, Uh, Mike Candrea. Just to see what he's up to and get his thoughts on it probably coming back, I think, isn't softball coming back?
Speaker 3: It is, but they're gonna play it in a Olahoma City.
Speaker 2: And we'll talk to him about that too, because you know he used to get mail in Oklahoma City because he was there so often. What do you have to explain? The joke is not that good? Jay? Okay, so you got it. So we'll have him in the second hour talking about the Olympics and see what he's up to, because I know he's a busy guy. He's still I think he's still on the staff with the Desiree. At least he's listed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think he's still. Listen, he's still doing stuffs up all right. He was over wasn't he wasn't.
Speaker 2: He I don't know, a consultant or something.
Speaker 3: A consultant or something for the World Championships or something.
Speaker 2: For I know he had been helping Team Italy. But that's it, that's what it's well back, Yeah, so I might have kind of see the kind of role that he's with desiree because as you know, it's changes changes, and we'll see what he's up to. Yeah, and maybe what he learned and what we were talking about. Oh, I know, what are we talking about yesterday? Those titles? If he's still kind of in the insights? Is what's up with all the titles the GM and the handholder of the handholder? Yeah, what the hell give me that job. I'll do that. I'll do that job.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I know it's like, yeah.
Speaker 2: What do you need coffee? I'll go get coffee.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I feel like somebody's getting paid seventy grand to mess around with spreadsheet through something you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what it feels like.
Speaker 3: The database of recruits going or something.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk to him about all that going on. I knew I needed to ask you something today. Was something that happened yesterday I'm.
Speaker 3: Brain dick, because you've been getting my daughter packed and ready to go, filled up a U haul with with stuff and heading out to San Diego first thing tomorrow morning, and then getting my my kid moved out and we become empty nesters again. So we'll see, uh, we'll see.
Speaker 2: How much fun we're gonna find out again if your wife really loves you.
Speaker 3: She does, she just I mean even even yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Does, because once kids are gone, you might have to find something to talk about.
Speaker 3: We might have to talk to each other. I have to make some dinner.
Speaker 2: Well, that's probably why she likes you. You're gonna make a great wife one day. Okay, Henry, how are you doing? Schools? Getting closer? You ready? Pretty ready? Yeah? Okay, this is school for you. Bet no matter how well you do in school, this is going to get you to job.
Speaker 3: And he's going, what the hell is going on here? To talk about life? Talk about life exactly, exactly. Now, Look, you know, every day we're a day closer to football. Now there's actually some football this Saturday, so so that's you know, that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exciting, right, it's uh, but only four games, all right, it's four games? Four four or five. Yeah, and then NFL starts in two.
Speaker 3: Weeks, two weeks, two weeks, right, because they it's all college next weekend. Yeah, and then the NFL get kicks into gear. Yeah, so we have football all the way into February.
Speaker 2: So that's and that's good. We'll have a lot of changes with our program, right, we're moving. We're moving to a different site. Maybe we'll get the phones working better and our equipment will be been. It's September.
Speaker 3: I think that the September ninth or something, Monday date it's been set as to when going live.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, September nine. Yeah. Yeah, did you see I gotta I got a note that's it wasn't nasty in tone, but very accurate in tone. I need to start getting my crap together.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They pretty much said, you need to get you need to get get on the train and learn this stuff.
Speaker 2: So don't make me. I'm sixty years.
Speaker 3: Old, dog Nutrix, old, dog Nutrix.
Speaker 2: I have to have Henry be my apprentice and have to.
Speaker 3: Pay Oh no, no, no, exactly.
Speaker 2: I have to remember passwords. What okay, I'm trying to do some documents for Henry now, and then I screwed up so I have.
Speaker 3: To redo it, Henry. Sorry, sorry, Henry. You know I can do that stuff, Henry. He's technically capable of all that.
Speaker 2: And you had all our media, our media and social shame on you today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was funny for about what fifteen minutes. Mike Andre was Tata Stubbs right right.
Speaker 2: Someone sent me a note said did you see what you put up? And I said, I don't put up anything social that. He sent me a photo. Oh yeah, not subs you had and I had Joe Turner as uh as who is a Philip Philip Stewart. Yeah, I'm thinking at least.
Speaker 3: Those guys are both African American. All right, somebody could look at that and not you know, and go, okay, two.
Speaker 2: Different pictures because Joe's smiling like.
Speaker 3: Just my and and we mentioned phil Stewart just looks mean but it's mean and mad. Oh he didn't sound like that at all. Yeah, no, No, he was a great He was a lot of fun. Yeah, but yeah, I you know that that's we'll see that, you know. I mean, I I took a break from loading a U haul to do that stuff, and so it just kind of got away from me.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you. Yeah, I know. Someone said, I said, oh no, it's not like you haven't done that before.
Speaker 3: I've done that. Yeah, I've done that when things been called.
Speaker 2: And I'm not gonna so I'm not gonna criticize because I don't do it at all. Yeah, I don't. I don't complain about the food of finding cooking.
Speaker 3: It exactly well, I do, but you cook well cook No, not at home.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: But if I go to a restaurant, Oh yeah, I'm paying for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's that's different. Okay, yeah, no, no, no, if you could give me something said, this doesn't taste so good, I don't cook at all, you know. Okay, I don't even worry about your henry yet. You know. It's pretty simple. So I'm good. I'm just gonna make sure I save it right. Okay.
Speaker 3: So today we're gonna find out how how strong the Kiss of Death continues to be. I've had Max Munsey Dodgers Third Basement on on my roster, but he's been on the IL for like three months, and so he came off the I L on Monday.
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 3: I hadn't activated him. He had a homer on Monday. He had another. He had another one on Tuesday, so he's come off off of the al and hit homers and back to back games. He's active on my roster today. So if he strikes out like four times or something like that, we know the Kod is alive. And well, as we head into football.
Speaker 2: Guess what this is the time I start to show up. I think it sleeps for a while and then it, you know, grows. It's like that. What's that? What was that movie? The bat or the thing that came in got He's stop for thirty years and he woke up and he came and got the people, uh or something? No, No, it was one of a flying kind of like a thing with.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking that it's just like a barren hibernation. It pokes, it's set out after a while. That's even a better. Okay, we're just gonna start eating people.
Speaker 2: Right right? Okay, Well, I have no doubt that your Kod will come back. I don't know, man, you know, seek and we have to we have to get ready for the football US.
Speaker 3: We won't announce it today because let's we still got some things in finance. But we may have a big announcement on Monday when I get back.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, Monday. Well, a lot of life changes next month, right or which will be great? Yeah, uh, which, and maybe we can see people. We're gonna have a better studio and we'll have people probably come in business for sure.
Speaker 3: We'll actually want to bring people towards.
Speaker 2: We'll have guests. Yeah, right, and it's gonna be on Swan and Sunrise rights of Sunrise. So you know, are we just like going to night two one oh compared to you here?
Speaker 3: They have to finish that McDonald's up there really fast.
Speaker 2: No, your doctor, your doctors might not like my doctor doesn't know he does, well he will you come up with those numbers of clubs.
Speaker 3: See, there's too McDonald's on my way here. I can stop anytime I want. Well, then you don't just want to want and four load. Then there's another one kambling for loan. I can go to those anytime I want to. Then there's a dairy queen. There's kinds of I don't know how you're still alive.
Speaker 2: Meds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, man.
Speaker 2: I say, I tay a lot two people and not too much information here. But we can have Bernie's. You know the twodes that kept my meds are the things that keep me up. Those are my weekend at Bernie guys. Okay, uh, who want to say the true to stoves we have? We have soccer, we have volleyball, what else? Uh, the Pima. We've talked to h hockey. Yeah, so we'll talk to COS groups. So in fact, I have COS group coming on next week before they have the first game. All right, so you'll be back for that. Yeah, you're not going to be in. I have Troy Hutchinson as a guest tomorrow as a guest or guest guest host. I'm sorry, and we have a pretty good first guest at least before you know, you know, Ortis Jenkins will be coming on. Yeah. He he knows him and he likes him, and he said yes, all right, so I don't know. That's the only guy I know right now. Okay, cool, So that'll be cool. Back in the day, you're ninety eights and the talk about all those great years. Yeah, and we've had him.
Speaker 3: We had him on that one time and we you know, we talked about you know, the the leap by the lake and that that team all year long and.
Speaker 2: Right and all that kind of stuff. Solways good to find out what he's good doing, because he was one of the only guys. I think you you covered the other guy, Craig Bergman. Yeah, we played both sports, right, he played football and basketball. And then he was the other one who was.
Speaker 3: Get a similar role on the on the eighty eight team that that that that whot Artis had. Uh, you know, just sort of a guy on the bench. You know, he's a good place, he's a good practice player, had some skills.
Speaker 2: He didn't make it to the end though. He took the team picture. Yeah, but he didn't. He didn't go all the way. He didn't know, just a couple of months. Oh yeah at the final four, right right, yeah, right right? And teach and uh Kelvin Kevin was another one of those guys who played hoops.
Speaker 3: And Kevin was Calvin was playing hoops and then he went to football and then he just became.
Speaker 2: Football, which was a pretty good move for him. Good move for him. Did he did he ever?
Speaker 3: Did he ever get into the league. I know he got drafted by the Raiders or he signed with the Raiders. He didn't play, No, I don't think so. He was a tryout guy. He stayed there a while and you know, yeah, last and for whatever long? Yeah, okay, what else? We got about three minutes left.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you guys want to call us, call us after Joe Turner. Uh the Ludolfson campus starting tomorrow. Uh and then uh Canrea, So call call us after Candre as well, Henry. I'll have breaking news at the top of the hour. U as usual as usual. Ye, as usual. So there was something I'm not sure I wanted to get political with Steve Kerr.
Speaker 3: We didn't talk about that, you know, I got you know, during the show, you know, I that day that he was going to talk. Somebody said, hey, Steve is going to talk at the at the Democrat Natal. I was like, okay, you know, but I you know, look, the guy's a smart guy.
Speaker 2: I've said this. I even said this some more quicker thing still, and I can say this with hesitation. He's the smartest guy I've ever met. Yeah, just on a variety of subjects, right, and I.
Speaker 3: Well, being smart, incredibly level had it.
Speaker 2: And that's part of it. Yeah, that's part of it. That's part of it. You know, if you like him for politics, don't let for products. I get it, But he knows about politics.
Speaker 3: He knows uh you look, you know, I mean he's he's a he's a well schooled, well traveled guy. You know, he grew up in in uh Lebanon.
Speaker 2: I think that's where that's where he was born, theorn there.
Speaker 3: And you know, and he grew up and you know, his dad was you know, the president and educated or overseas. His mom, you know, same educator as well, or his grandparents were too. So you know, so a guy who yeah, he was a basketball player and he wanted to be a kid, but he had all this stuff going on around him that you know, how could you not be how could you not absorb that stuff right and then and then be a guy that you know, has thoughts and the thoughts beyond what you and I think about.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: In fact, Wicker, who had on the show, talked about him while back, saying, I wouldn't be surprised if he kind of would think about being going to politics, which I would, I would say, heck, yeah, do it. And then here here you go with the boss and you could say white and someone say black, someone say blue, someone say red. You can never make everybody happy. But but again, he's the smartest guy. Politics are not politics.
Speaker 3: Right, whether you like him or not, whether he liked the politics or not.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: He speaks in a reasonable way pretty much all the time. And he's got what he believes, and he backs what he believes. You know, with information that he has, you know, you can tell he's well read. You feel like he's very much you know, when he's not coaching and stuff, he's reading and doing stuff, and he's making himself smarter. Yeah, which we you and I absolutely just do not.
Speaker 2: To We read because we have to.
Speaker 3: I try and see as as much video as I can that makes makes sense.
Speaker 2: Keep it read the audiobook exactly. Okay, hey, we got through the first first fifteen. We're gonna get ahold of Joe Turner, maybe have some fun, joke around and see why he's in this weekend up.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it'll be fun to talk to him, so be sure to come back.
Speaker 5: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color, and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five to two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 7: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health. Our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Heath the leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 8: On twenty second just west of will Not It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 9: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to six five six two six Today in MLS three h eight seven, Arizona, BK nine, ZO two and nine for two Equal housing opportunity, OWT to commitment to Lyndrix, syn credit rates and available loan programs to subject to change with the unumbus.
Speaker 2: Did you know.
Speaker 6: Sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 10: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big.
Speaker 2: Watch your savings grow to help you.
Speaker 10: Reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Is it pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today That really insured n.
Speaker 11: CUA guy, bugs, termites, bees, are rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the exes at alls. It's Steve Rivera and Jagen Salmas. This is I am a par on Fox Sports fourteenth theory.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I on the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jiggensauce. Now on the phone, we have former UA basketball player smiling Joe Turner, How you doing, Joe.
Speaker 4: I am doing very well, doing very well. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I can easily say you're the happiest former basketball player you have may Ever.
Speaker 4: I'm still pretty happy. That's that's the best way to go through life. Very much.
Speaker 2: So much. You're coming back again for the Noodolsen Camp. How you feel about it.
Speaker 4: I'm feel so happy and so lucky that I was just thinking about. One of the things that I love about Tecson is how our fans are still there for us, and we look forward to getting back into doing the fantasy camp and you know, celebrate with them.
Speaker 3: You know, Joe, when you when you come to town and people see you, you make them feel old because you know, you were You're pretty young when you were, you know, a big deal here. You're still a big deal, but when you were the bigger deal on the basketball team. And when people realize that, Joe's like, what are you Joe fifty something?
Speaker 4: Yeah, fifty eight. I'll be fifty eight in November.
Speaker 3: People go, Joe Turner's fifty eight, How the hell old are mine?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: I mean, does it seem like that to you that you know, people kind of still think of you as a young guy who was hanging out here during you know, a great time for basketball.
Speaker 4: You know, you never usually as old as you feel. Until last year, I was still dunk in the basketball at Craig McMillan's basketball camp in Santa Rosa. You know, I still hanging out to my youth a little bit, and you know, I would advise people to, you know, keep moving, eat right, you know, and feel you know how you want to feel still young, you know, don't don't get old, because that's that's the number that they that you're at right now.
Speaker 2: So I phages, but a number, what number are you?
Speaker 4: Well, I'll fIF fifty seven going on fifty eight, But I still feel like I'm thirty eight right now.
Speaker 3: Did you did you just say you you dunked? Like in the last year.
Speaker 4: Yes, I dunked at Craig McMillan's Center rose As Junior college basketball camp.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I used to dunk every year for the kids for the camp, but this year I took opted out because I wasn't really conditioned and I hadn't prepared for it because I was doing a little bit of a vacation and then relaxing. So I was out of date, but you you didn't.
Speaker 3: You didn't blow out a knee or blow out a hip or anything like that coming down or anything.
Speaker 4: So I think maybe I gotta take my take my note from Keete Williams, because I think he decided to a couple of years ago and asked exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: So right, right, yeah, no questions. Let me ask you because uh, we love having you at the camp. And who were one of the fun guys when you were when you were here and maybe even a kid. Did you try to be funny or were you just funny? And you know you were kind of like the Yogi Bara of of quotes back in the day.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you one thing, Steve, you know it was it was pretty tough playing under coach all. You know, co tell everybody knows what you know serious about the game, and you know a lot of ways serious. And you know, I did a lot of my like funny stuff. I was just nervousness and not knowing what to do, so it just kind of came out in a nervous way and kind of naturally. So uh, a lot it was good that a lot of guys seeing it as funny. But you know, I didn't think it was so funny.
Speaker 3: Let me set you up, So are you a b Yeah?
Speaker 4: You you ain't been in Tibatis.
Speaker 3: That's that's one of the all time grace. Let me ask you, Joe about that that period of time you know in your life, which I imagine was, you know, one of the great periods of time. I don't you know what your life has been Sincember, It's probably got to be up there. How much do you think about those days? You know, kind of even on a on a daily basis, or you know, when you're just kind of hanging around, maybe having a beard, thinking about stuff. How how often does that come to mind? Particularly that Final four year.
Speaker 4: I think about it every day every day of my life because the things that we didn't realize that Coach All wasn't just teaching us, you know basketball, uh. Coach All was teaching us how to be better young men, uh in life. And I believe, you know right now, I'm a teacher, and we keep John Wooden experiment to success, and I believe that's what Coach was also mentored under John Whitten as well. And you know, I've used what we've learned in Final four and experience that we had, you know, with my family, my relationship, you know, my the partnerships that we have and professional and my private life. So that's uh, you know, always going to be one of the things that we're going to think about for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were just talking about Steve Kerr. We talked to him. We've talked to him just about a month ago or so, right, right, Just how was it playing for him? And let me say this because you know, Harvey's coming into town and part of the book, Harvey said one of the things you didn't want two of the things you didn't want to do when you played at UVA. You didn't want to disappoint Loot and you pretty much didn't want to disappoint Steve because Steve was kind of that unspoken leader.
Speaker 4: Uh, Steve was our captain and uh, you know he had Cotels here and if we if we didn't do what we're supposed to do, you know, after the practice was over, and you know, Steve can go to Cotel's offense and I didn't give him the rundown on the kind of the vibe of the team stuff. Would just say, hey, Steve, how are the guys doing and Steve would give him a report, you know, from the players perspective, you know. And then another thing, Steve's being on the UH on the d m C the other night, looking kind of presidential, might get a job, might get a secret service job if he wants.
Speaker 2: Right, well, you know what, you can't say former uh, the Golden State coach. You gotta wait for that to end.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, I don't even I don't know if if I even take a bullet for Steve. Not sure, not sure. I'd have to think about that, right, Wait, what do you make of some of that stuff that some of these guys, you know, particular guy likes like Kerr, who's really you know create you know, with what the success he's had as a coach, as a player, now, you know, he's just he's a he's I think you can say he's a pop culture figure right when you think about him when you were hanging out with him in college. How does that, you know, how does that feel for you to say, I know that guy, you know, I you know, I hung out with him, hung out with him in the locker room. That kind of stuff is that is that that's got to be fun for.
Speaker 4: You, yes it is. I mean we don't see it coming from a great lineage of great people and in front of him and in his life. But Steve was hanging around u c. L A went John Whitten and his dad was taking him to those UCLA basketball games. And you know, also after Ludelson's tea team with Steve, And just to say that, you know, Steve and I were roommates and teammates. I mean that's a great feeling because people, even when I don't think about it, people remind me that, hey, Steve Kirr with your roommate, you know how of that? And we got along really well. You know, I love Steve and Steve loves me. We talked to each other on the occasion, we text each other, still giving each other, you know, uh, encouragement and messing around with one another having fun.
Speaker 2: So so this might be a dumb question, but who gave a war? Do you know the answer to who gave a loot? The most frustrating moments you were Tobert.
Speaker 4: Oh, there's no questioning its sober to no one is number one. And I think in the history of ULA basketball.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you can tell us something like that that he did that just absolutely made lose his mind. You know, something that won't get you in trouble or anything like that. But what when you talk about how crazy Tober was, what kind of stuff were we talking about?
Speaker 4: Okay, uh, you know I might be telling them Tom right now, but you know, one year in pre season consists me. We were supposed to be running the mall and the mall was like one lap around the mall was like like a mile or something like that, whatever it was, but we have to run a couple of times around the mall. So the first lap we read and we had to oh main the fountain. Uh, and Tom jumped in the fountain and h in it until the second lap and then we had coach Thompson's got something. And the second lap as we come around, Tom jumps out of the fountain. He sent to the finish line and he's sucking wet and Thompson was like me, some you're working pro hark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that made the book, if you made the book.
Speaker 3: So he didn't get busted. I mean he pulled it off.
Speaker 4: He didn't. He pulled it off, you know, but then he didn't really pull it off though. There were some games where Tom wouldn't get back on defense, and coach would just light into the just get lit into him and be like he gets back on you know time you need to get your fighting cares well. So that would just light him up when he wasn't working hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that story has made the rounds a few times because yeah, I think they sent a manager to find him because and then he was so he was so below the fountain that they couldn't see him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was on his head just enough to get stuff and sit the air, and then he was completely submerged in the Doro main fountain.
Speaker 2: So so some of the in the books, some of the guys said that they dreaded practice because it was difficult at times. How did you take practice?
Speaker 4: Uh, yeah, there were our days sometimes some days practices. Uh, you know that there was gonna be a tough practice. It depends on what sweatsuit. So tell we were. If he were a sweet suit with the gray and it was all like a kind of a cloth sweatsuit with the gray center and the blue tram around it, you knew we're gonna have a hell of a practice, is gonna be long and hard. And then if you were like his Uh, outther just all blue sweatsuit. We were gonna get out easy that day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think you've told the story before with us. I can't remember, but I know I've asked you a few times about this.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: There was a quiz. What's the quiz about the quarter?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: I could pick a quarter up out of McMillan's Uh. He had a Fort Mercury link and we would make bets to get gas money. And then we have all the guys around the cars like I got Jael can pick up a quarter off the ground and guys would put their money down and then pick the quarner up and we had gas money for today.
Speaker 2: That was reaching over the door, reaching over the door.
Speaker 3: Through the window.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would be sitting inside the car and reach outside the door and pick up the corner off the ground and we get our gas money that.
Speaker 3: Way, which means hit a long wingspan. I remember the wings span. I had dinner on the road with you guys a couple of times, and I remember the wing span. You could reach across the table and pick something out of somebody's plate without them even seeing you.
Speaker 4: And that was all. Yeah, I wasn't the other one Anthony Coulk was another one.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, yeah, right, Well, what are your some of your your greatest moments here? You know the final four is one, but you know, personal.
Speaker 4: The plasm. My greatest moment was just uh interaction with the fans walking to mchel Center and see that stadium packed with fans ready to tear us on to victory. That was a personal uh great. And then also Steve uh, you know, having my degree from the University of Arizona too was a personal I don't call that my greatest subset. You're getting getting my degree?
Speaker 2: That's funny. What did you get it in? What did you get your degree in?
Speaker 4: Well, I have a degree. I got a degree on sociology, and then I got a minor in health, and now I got my master's in educating me with a counseling credential, and now I got a teaching credential, and then I'm just completing the admin's cindential right now.
Speaker 2: So forty years ago or whatever long it's been, he says, who would have ever thought Joe Turner would be teaching your kids? How there's another Jay, No, you go ahead. What would people think back in the day?
Speaker 4: Now a Coto. I went and down for recommendation for one of my first jobs, for one of my first real jobs, and it was I was a pregnancy prevention counselor at this uh at the place called Clinical Sierra Visa. And they called Coachel and they was like, you know, Joe Turner's interviewing for a job as a pregnancy prevention uh counselor. You know, what can you tell us about him? And Coach was like, Joe, Joe Turner, are we talking about the same people?
Speaker 2: Forgot it? Did you get the job?
Speaker 4: I got the job?
Speaker 3: That's too funny?
Speaker 4: Opportunities, I made this money.
Speaker 2: What are you teaching?
Speaker 3: What are you teaching?
Speaker 4: I teach right now? Uh. It's a program called Recycling Lives and it's for the bag Still adult school, So it's adults and we're teaching them to get back into the work force. And it's a very hard to serve clients. Tell that we're working with uh so we're living out of jail and the long term out of work adult.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very very uh it's very necessary here in Bakersville, out of California.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, uh I know that we uh uh maybe the story that probably gets told too much, but I don't mind saying it. Uh. So you're in an elevator somewhere and an old couple, you know every I'm kind of old now too. Yeah. You see, they said we're going to some floor and what do you tell them?
Speaker 4: I thought, I'm not I know where you guys just came from. And they was like, how do you know that? And that's sake that I have ESP.
Speaker 2: And those old people they just love. You know, when you've got a six foot ten guy telling you jokes, Yeah, you love it, said.
Speaker 4: That's the time. I wasn't joking. I thought it was the Actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh really, yeah that makes more sense. Yeah, that makes more sense. Okay, Joe, we'll see you tomorrow. Enjoy. Uh we'll see you all weekend, you and your guys, Pete and everybody.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Stam. I love you guys and looking forward to uh imber you can spend it a great weekend with all of you.
Speaker 2: Great, thank you, Joe, Thanks Joe, be well, Joe Turning. Yeah, fun, he's a fun dude. Yeah, he is literally just a fun dude. You imagine.
Speaker 3: But you go to some class and the guy walk your teacher walks in.
Speaker 2: He's six ten, yeah, sixteen, Yeah, and just kind of you know all you're doing.
Speaker 3: With hands like that, right.
Speaker 2: Right, you don't want to mess with them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good guy, that's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go come back talk to BS and then we'll get to the top of the hour for breaking news. If you're nears on a Man's Basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five year Arizona's beloved coach, Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com. Hi, this is formal.
Speaker 13: While gat Raman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and free rate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with art equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona.
Speaker 2: Health to lead answer and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Pema Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to trying the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, You're Jay, and we have Henry got sixteen minutes. If you'd like to call five two zero, four one, six, seventy four forty. If you guys have any great memories of the mid eighties late eighties on the run to the final four, give us a call on many of our listeners.
Speaker 3: You want one of the Joe Turner things that has always come to mind when I when I think game. There was a game and I remember who it was against, where he gets the ball inside, tries to dunk it. Okay, it doesn't go in, pops up in the air. He tries to dunk it again, still doesn't go in, pops up in the air, and he gets another rebound and throws it down, and Luke joked about the fact that he had gotten on Joe to he needed rebound better, so he created three rebounds.
Speaker 2: Which which wouldn't be a surprise. There was another story, and I think I've said this a few times. I know it made the book at two or two. Uh So lou was poed at him one thing and he missed the assignment of a of a of a of a play important play. So at halftime he asked he asked Joe to go to the to the chalkboard right to the big white board and chalkboard at the time, I think, and it was a massive chalkboard. So Joe kind of like, you know, kind of shy or whatever, went to the went to the huge chalkboard and drew a little box like a two by two U of paint and paint of the of the of the screw two by two and he had a massive area where you could just write a two by two by two, but he did a two inch by two inch and he did a real shot. Didn't kind of do much and says, Joe, this is your You're just supposed to tell me where you're at. So he wrote a little little box and then he put a little X. How are we supposed to see this? And we supposed to see this, Joe, You're supposed to be at this place. So Joe was like, you know, and he didn't even know where he was supposed to be. He kept asking for help. No one was going to give him help because they didn't want to be in trouble with Luke because because he didn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't know what the pride was.
Speaker 2: He didn't know what the play was. And that probably doesn't surprise you yeah, but he was exactly what they needed in terms of a filler guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know he was because one he could come in, he could play, but he was also a guy that you.
Speaker 2: Know, knew his role and knew his role.
Speaker 3: Everybody loved him, you know, you could, like, you know, being on the road with those guys, you could kind of see he was the guy that, while not the captain or something like that, you know, away from the court, he was the guy you could tell. He was the guy that the other players looked to to just kind of, I don't know, keep a vibe, you know, keep keep exactly the levity of the group and not let any of those guys take themselves too seriously. But yet you could count on him when he came on the court, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Except for drawings and where you needed to be.
Speaker 3: You know, we talked about his wingspan. And I think I've told this story before, but the very first road trip I took with those guys, well it was the first, no, because I took one earlier, but we went to San Diego State. It was like early in the season in the eighty six eighty seventh season, so I'm brand new to covering the team. And I got invited to go to dinner with the team, and we went to remember Anthony's Grotto, the place over there. So we go there and I'm I'm at the end. So all the guys are sitting and I'm I'm the last seat. It's a really one It was really long tables, and I'm at the end, and all of a sudden, I look to my right and Joe turners on the same side of the table as I am, and I see this arm come across and reached past two guys to get into another guy's plate.
Speaker 2: So this arm comes.
Speaker 3: Across it and then this big giant hand and take something from somebody's plate, and I'm like, Who's I couldn't even tell whose arm it was because it came from so far away, and you know, he's picking something out of one of the other guy's.
Speaker 2: Plate when he was nineteen twenty years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and it was I'm like, it was for somebody, who's you know. The tallest guy I knew at the time was my brother was five eleven, right. You know, it was fascinating me just how different a world those guys lived in because of you know, what it was like for them to get on an airplane, what it was like for them to walk around a hotel and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, do you remember when you were nineteen nineteen, twenty years old? Yeah, Ben, how was it?
Speaker 3: It wasn't like that, that's my point. Yeah point, Yeah, you're not still going to drive in movies. I had a you know, I had a part time job at the newspaper, going to high school football games that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, and I was in school. The funny thing about it, and you know that's saying it's good to be a quarterback or football beeral blah blah blah. It's good to be an athlete back in the days. Uh we you know, you were a star, whether they're paying you or not or whatever. You had pretty girls.
Speaker 3: Well that was you know, this team, you know that when I first started covering, they hadn't gotten to the final four anything like that, right, they'd want to pack up championship, packed in championship. But they were celebrities in this town already, you know, even though the program hadn't become what it became. But they would walk you know, they'd walk around you know. Uh, I mean I remember being on campus and seeing one of those guys, the people following them, you know, and you go, that's different, right, that's you know, And and then and them also kind of doing things to maybe avoid being in the you know, you know, in the spotlight, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh again.
Speaker 3: I remember having a conversation with Sean Elliott and talking about how you know, it was for him to go to a restaurant, right, you know, I met him at his dorm and to do this, I want to do this long anyway, spend an evening with him basically, and they said, hey, you want to go get something? He said, yeah, but can we bring it back? Right, because he didn't want to go sit in a restaurant. And we went and got a pizza and we took it back and and that kind of stuff that they had to deal with as kids.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things that he says, shot and told me, says, I had to learn how to say no, yeah, because everyone was asking him to do stuff. And that's kind of one of the reasons why you kind of saw him disappeared for a while, Yeah, because he he was tired of it. And then he got married, got remarried, and his wife kind of kind of took care of his schedule to be out of the limelight. You know, he was no longer playing. Now he's doing the TV work, and it was more upsettled down. And then he had his his his uh, his kidney issues, kidney right and other and other things, and just to kind of make sure he slowed down a little.
Speaker 3: Well, you know again, when you when you think about you know that that that the prom was just beginning to rise. And yet these here are these guys and they're you know, there's stars in their own town and and the and their kids, you know, and and I remember that again. I think I've told the story too that you know, the conversation I had with him that night when you know, he said, he said, can we took off the record? And I said, yeah, he goes it was, do you think I should do you think I should go.
Speaker 2: To the raft?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, John, I think you need to do what you think is right for you. But what doll the fans think? I said, you shouldn't give a crap about what the fans think. But he was concerned about that, right, you know, because he knew that a lot of what he was was because of how the fans felt.
Speaker 2: But I you know.
Speaker 3: I I told him, I said, don't you know you shouldn't give a crap about what the fans.
Speaker 2: I said, listen to your mom.
Speaker 3: And that's why he stayed another year.
Speaker 2: But part of the part of that is I think that during the wood we've got a call. Okay, take this call.
Speaker 3: Oh you got lost him, go ahead and call callback.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that, be paying attention. He was was just too late to it. So it was that alluding him went to an awards thing and I'd been the wooden where he didn't win it, when the year he did win it, and they went to a game, an NBA game, and purposely had him sit under a basket, under one of the baskets right, and guess what he saw. Those dudes were big and they were tough and they were physical. And Luke says to him, are you ready for this? I'm going back to shool, going back to school because I'm not ready. You know, he's a skinny kid. Yeah, he was, all right, let's take this. Hi, you're on the air and eye on the ball.
Speaker 12: Hey, guys, what's up this Vic?
Speaker 15: Vic?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 12: So have it tATu. My one of my best memories of those guys. It was eighty nine the pack twelvel Turn or packed can or whatever it was called. Was that the Forum and they had just won the title. And uh, we're going down Manchester and its back in the days when you could ride in the back of us truck. So I'm driving my little truck and the guy that's in the back, Hey, that's Sean Elliot. I said, shut up, you see him going to other away? He goes, no, I'll make a U turn, Make a U turn. So I make a U turn, and I pull into a Wendy's and shun up. Sean and his girlfriend are getting out to go have a burger, so I have to.
Speaker 4: Pull the old.
Speaker 12: Hey Sean, I hate to bother.
Speaker 3: You, but but I'm going to bother you.
Speaker 12: So he's gracious talks to us. We all take a picture with him, and and I still have it hanging in my house. But that's forward another year later. He's already in the pros and we're like at a nightclub right here on twenty second and will mind, I can't remember the name of it. And he then so my my cousin goes up and says, hey, Sean, do you remember me? I met you at Jack in the Box and he goes, dude, it was Wendy's bro.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so that was that was one of my best memory out of telling you. I still have that picture hanging.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna teach you and say, see you were taking help. He's way back in.
Speaker 3: The day, exactly exactly. But that those guys were like that though, right they I think they feel like they understood, they understood how important they were to other people in this town. And while sometimes it was hard for them, they would do those things.
Speaker 12: Wow, I'll tell you what. That's still that team when they lost at UNLV deal, that still brought tears in my eyes the time I ever cried.
Speaker 2: Were you were you a student at Ubay or did you just okay, were you living in LA at the time.
Speaker 12: I was living in l A at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, all right, all right, you're everywhere, You're anywhere, all right, you guys? Ok, thank you? Vic? Say did you see I don't you mentioned something about home runs yesterday? But did you see the Mexico victory with the home run? And then there was a kid, yeah, and there was another one before him, the big husky kid. Yeah, home runs yesterday like crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw I saw that. I saw the highlight of the of the walk off by the kid from Mexico against Cuba. Yeah, because we were talking about that game during.
Speaker 2: Right, because Cuba had a pretty good wae. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So now no, I you know, going back to Shanelle, I know it's probably not breaking easting, but I don't know if you saw that. Bill Land, the guy who's been the play by play voice that shot shown Elliott has worked with on on on radio for the for the Spurs.
Speaker 2: Is retiring. Oh okay, yeah, and he said that.
Speaker 3: Shown posted about you know how much he enjoyed working.
Speaker 2: With Sure it was gonna see a long time one years Sean's been doing that. Yeah. So Sean's about fifty eight two, right, so he was about thirty seven fifty seven, maybe a year younger than Turner. Okay, yeah, because cursed fifty.
Speaker 3: Eight Yeah, yeah, because that Elliott was a junior when Joe and and and Steve Kerr were senior.
Speaker 2: So he's probably a year younger. And those are the those were the really good old days. Yeah, when things were different, but just fun, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it was it was all just fun. I don't feel like people took themselves as seriously about basketball as they do now. It's not life. It wasn't life and death. Back then. People were just having fun watching these guys win and it was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And I know you can't. I know you can't and you can't and I can't publicly say this because it's not true or true. Your first born is very special in a way. Yeah, that was there was that was Arizona's first born.
Speaker 3: Well, what's funny is just say that because you know, uh, when uh, coming back from Kansas City after they lost in that Final four, when I got before I got on the plane, they told me that they wanted me to write then we're doing a special section at the start, doing a special section on the team, and they wanted me to write a lead into it. Then they were just going to kind of put it rerun articles like that, And that was exactly what I led with. He said, And I can't think of the wording, but I do remember that that Dana Cooper put it on at the end of the video that he did on that team. But I said that, I said, they may come to go to more final fours, but there's never going to be one more special than this one because it was the first one.
Speaker 2: No, no, you're right, even though they had a national tit with a national better team, it's hard. It's hard to top the first time.
Speaker 3: And then that that was exactly that.
Speaker 2: That that was what came into my head.
Speaker 3: Somebody who grew up here like the first time you go, like like I thought there was going to be a first time for a Rose.
Speaker 2: Bowl a long time ago. Yeah, I ask you about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's take this.
Speaker 2: How you're on the air and eye on the ball.
Speaker 15: How's it going today?
Speaker 2: I thought, Brian, you got about a minute and a half.
Speaker 15: Okay, just about a story that back in the in the chant in the final four year back in my old job before he retired, delivering mail. I got to deliver where Steve Kerr and John Elliott lived, which is where uh back on Tyndall.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're near in school.
Speaker 15: Okay, yeah yeah, but two of the nicest people you ever meet in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The funny thing is, I think I've talked about this before, uh just maybe a month ago. Says what's the different what makes the players different? And from being meaner or nicer? And it was not even a question the parents.
Speaker 15: If you have social media.
Speaker 2: Well, no social media, but if your parents are good people, you're going to be a good person because you have you know, you've learned from them, right.
Speaker 15: And also to plus the social media, the money involved, just it's just not sports.
Speaker 2: Anymore, right, right, Bill? You know I say this all the time. I'm not a sports fan and and people know why. But now that it's become all about what you just said, Bill, social media, money and change, Brian, I'm sorry the changes and all that, it's just even harder for me.
Speaker 4: They make it hard to watch sports now, you know.
Speaker 15: And I you know, and I you know, I'm it, but still exactly, you know, hard to sit there and go when all you all you all these college players care about is the money.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 15: And and I think what Gundy said the other day, the guy from Oklahoma State, Yeah, it's time to practice. The nil stuff is over right, No.
Speaker 2: Right, no, perfect, We talked about that. Yeah, Brian, thanks man, Okay, Brian, thanks about take care.
Speaker 3: No, he's right, and we have the conversation about what Gundy said, which is right. At some point he's got he's got a start thinking about football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, March you talked to me, or after the season, you'll have yours right now is my time? Right? Yeah, it's like Spacoli thing, your time and time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he goes in order to peek right in his time. All right, Hey, that was good. All Right, we're gonna take our break. We're gonna come.
Speaker 2: Back breaking news, Henry.
Speaker 3: Henry's got breaking news, and uh we'll cover some stuff and then, uh we've got Mike Andre coming up at about four twenty, so stick around.