Speaker 1: Then we continue on Fred Rogan Rodney Peete on a five to seventy LA Sports. Uh, just a two hour show today. Because the Dodgers up in Colorado taking on the Rockies. Yamamoto will take the hill tonight for the Dodgers. I like their chances, you do. I like the Dodgers chances with Yamamoto pitching too. I do too, Yamamoto or as any pitcher doesn't like pitching in Colorado. But I think they'll be okay. Yeah, I do too, I do too. And my god, I mean, you have you know, babe Ruth Michael Conforto on the team now, so everything's gonna be fine. Ready, Hey, he's out of that, babe, I don't care. He's out. He's back, He's back. We'll find out how far back he is tonight. All right, NBA Draft Tonight, Lakers have a second round pick, Clippers late first and second as well.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, Lakers got a second round pick. Well, let's get let's get excited about that.
Speaker 1: Listen, they already took Brownie in the second round last year, so there's no reason to get excited about a second round pick this year.
Speaker 2: Second round has got to be the most important pick. It's so important that second round pick. Let's not let's not downplay the second round pick. Now, No, that's that everybody said last year, you can't waste that second round pick.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, let's make it a break. You know that? M h. You know you know how they roll?
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, Uh, they announced today in somewhat of official capacity, but just to get it on the record. Uh, the Laker deal mark Walter buying it from the Bus family, expected to close third or fourth quarter of this year, which means soon soon. Genie Buss will remain governor of the team and continue to oversee all team operations on a day to day basis for the first sate future. How long you think that lasts? Well, that's what we have to fine the foreseeable future. Mark Cuban thought he was going to oversee basketball operations for the Mavericks. He was more surprised than anybody when all of a sudden, looking was traded. So I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was going to stay on right and run to and run it for a period of time. And that period of time lasted very short. But you got to believe that that you know, and we know how Mark Walter and and the Guggenheim guys coming in, and we know how they operate. They come in and you know there's going to be a period of time where they want to keep some continuity, but at some point they're going to put their own stamp on on whatever situation they have. They did it with the Dodgers, and you look, Ned Colletti was there, our good friend Ned Colletti with the Dodgers for a minute, and then they they came in and embraced the overhauled the whole front office.
Speaker 3: Remember Andrew Friedman and everybody else.
Speaker 1: Remember when Donald Sterling sold the Clippers, was forced to sell the Clippers. You know, we have the distinct honor of living in a city where two of the major league franchises, two of the professional franchises were forced to be sold, the Dodgers and the Clippers. That's pretty impressive record.
Speaker 3: We got two.
Speaker 1: Talk about ownership, we got two. They just forced Donald Sterling. And by the way, Frank McCourt and Donald Sterling both said the same thing. You can't tell me what to do. You can't tell me no when they don't want to, they don't want it.
Speaker 2: It's pretty simple, but what they did find out is that you can maybe force me out, but you can't tell me who I'm going to sell to.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, that was true. They did learn that. Frank McCourt taught them that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so when the Clippers were sold to Steve Balmer, I remember and I just thought to myself, all right, the absurdity of the whole story. You know, Donald Sterling's wife, Shalley, she didn't do it anything wrong, She really didn't, by all accounts. She was very nice. I'd met her, she was very nice. But they were so embarrassed, so embarrassed, and the Clippers at that point was the identity of Donald Sterling. So in the agreement, I remember, yeah, the Clippers had to designate Shelley Sterling as their number one fan. That's what she would be called, their number one fan, number one fan, they had to call her that, right, And I think she still got a couple of seats on the court, I think, but she had to be designated the number one fan for her. It was great at the moment, it meant something, and fifteen minutes later it meant nothing. It meant absolutely nothing. All right, Yeah, two billion, but this you got to call me number one fan. Okay, we'll write that right in.
Speaker 3: Think about that. They sold.
Speaker 2: For two billion Steve Bomber Paig and at that time people were going nuts, what in the world are you doing paying two billion dollars? Same thing with the with the googenheym and Mark Walter when he bought the Dodgers two billion dollars, two billion dollars for the Clippers. Man, he's drastically overpaid. And here we are less than a decade. Right, it's been less than a decade, right, And when did the Clipper sell?
Speaker 3: Was it ten years?
Speaker 2: Ten years that were at ten billion dollars for a franchise?
Speaker 1: Well, see, that was short sighted. That was short sided when people thought he overpaid. But Dodgers, my god, Googleheid that that was the one that blew everybody away out two billion base dollars.
Speaker 3: Baseball was not drawing in those numbers.
Speaker 2: People weren't paying that for baseball, not even close at that time, and people were going, oh, my god, that's highway robbery.
Speaker 3: See, but there's a difference.
Speaker 1: It's a difference if you and I get five guys together and scrape up enough money to buy a team compared yeah, I have I control like sixty billion dollars, so I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna get it. I'm gonna get it. A change out of the couch and yeah, I'm fine here. Those guys are in it for the long haul. Oh yeah, not the mom and pop shops. They saw this happening when they bought the team. They were not looking at it. Oh this is cool. We bought Uh, we bought the Dodgers majorlygue franchise.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: No, they had the stadium renovation, they had everything in place before they bought that team, and when they bought it, they had all of these ideas and what they wanted to do. They were looking at Japan eight ten years ago. Fred they were they were trying to make that happen. They saw the future, and which is why they're in that position where they are. It's because they can see the value and where trends are going. And they made the right decision obviously, as did Steve Balmer. Yeah, it was funny with people the Dodgers sold today. What do you think somebody would have to pay for the Dodgers today if Mark Walters said, look, I'm ready to sell this team.
Speaker 1: At least ten, at least ten, right, at least ten. Yeah, at least ten. And somebody that has the ability to spend a lot of money at the end of the whole deal to Payotani. Yeah, because they got to Payotoni six hundred and eighty million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think I got Otani for another eight nine years, So that means I've got that amount of time. And then afterwards, because he's gonna be forever a Dodger, that you're gonna market in Asia. You're gonna market in Japan and all over Asia. So now what does that worth do you?
Speaker 1: Steve Balmer? Everybody thought, you know, go to Seattle, get the Clippers out of here. Go back to Seattle. They want a team. You're from there. It'll be great. No way, I'm not gonna give up the La market. No, I'll pay two billion to be here, not a problem. I'm gonna be right here. I might live in Seattle, but I'm gonna be right here for every game. I'm gonna be with you, guys. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: It reminds you of that it's the movie Heaven can Wait. Remember that movie Heaven can Wait? The original Heaven can Wait? With Warren Baby and he was a rich guy that they died tragically, but they took him too soon, and he came back to life and they were trying to find a body for him, and he turned out that he was a billionaire that owned the Rams or bought the Rams, and the one scene in there were the current owner of the Rams before he bought him because he was a football player.
Speaker 3: The guy that died.
Speaker 2: Said that, son of a bitch, I asked for nineteen million and he said, okay, like I asked this, you know, astronomical amount and he said, no problem. And that's what Steve Baumber did you know? Sterling said, I'm gonna ask for two billion dollars.
Speaker 3: There's no way.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you want me to wire that money to your account right now?
Speaker 3: How do you want it? Yeah? How do you want it? You want to and cash? You catch your check? What do you want it? Just tell me we'll take care of it immediately. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So Shelley Sterling in the in the Donald Sterling Clippers was designated number one fan. Okay, so now we have Genie buss Uh And of course they said the right things. You know, Genie wanted someone that would continue the tradition and be in the community. Well, of course, that was a very nice thing for her to say, and apparently she and Mark Walter are friends, so that was the right thing to say. But then we're gonna do that anyway. Then we're gonna do it. If they had sold this team to somebody from out of town, I think what Genie Buss says would have meant more. Well, we really wanted somebody involved in the community that would continue on the legacy and you know, take care of the franchise.
Speaker 3: It's the Dodger.
Speaker 1: Guys, so everybody knows they're gonna do it. Those words, I get it, but you don't really need to say it because where you know, there's proof of performance. We already see what they're going to do. So she stays on and she's gonna run day to day operations. So then you have to wonder to yourself, what does that mean? What does it mean if she's running day to day operations? Is she running basketball operations? Is she running business operations? What is she running? Is she running the Lakers? Because I gotta tell you, I think if decisions are made and things have to be decided, they're going to consult with Mark Walter. I don't think Genie's going to operate in a vacuum. She's got it. It's hers go get them team. I don't think that's gonna happen. And I think what you will see in a period of time, as you did with the Dodgers, they'll start moving people in, They'll start assuming some of the roles there, and I don't know, maybe they keep everybody. And I've said this before, so I don't know. I mean, stand cast and ran the Hawks and the Braves for Ted Turner, So could he be running this.
Speaker 3: He's running the.
Speaker 1: Hockey team that Mark Walter started, the hockey league. But maybe he will be overseeing both from a business perspective, I have to tell you, and as things fans don't think about, it really makes sense. You don't need two sets of people operating the franchises from a business perspective, you know what I mean. I mean, just think about this, Jacob and Ronnie. Jacob and Ronnie is a partner of the Lakers. Okay, now with the Dodger's running it, Jacob, I got even better news for you. Couldn't this is your best day?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: Well, tell me you're all still going to be able to pay for the Dodgers. Now you can be both at Dodger Stadium and at Crypto dot Com arena.
Speaker 3: Doesn't that make your day? Doesn't that make you happy? Now? We just took care of.
Speaker 2: It, done that anyway you could have.
Speaker 1: But now it's different when these guys are selling everything, you know what I mean, It's different.
Speaker 2: Rodneys, You know that, No, if he wanted to be he wanted to be a sponsor of the Dodgers, he could be a sponsor of the Dodgers. He didn't take Googenheim to buy the Lakers for or the Dodgers and the Lakers for that. It could be either one. But they're going to do business differently, and it's gonna be amount of time, you know what what what happens. You know, certainly you got to get the day to day folks have to you know, be dedicated to to one side. But when you're yeah, when you're talking about you know, the president and and the higher ups right of the company, the actual entity that that owns all the sports franchises like a stand cast, and that appoints different people. Yeah, Stan can run them both and run the whole sports entities. But there will be day to day guys that he hires, much like you know, brought in Andrew Friedman and the different people that he brought in for the Dodgers. He'll do the same thing for the Lakers at some point and it's just a matter of time before they you know, we see something happening with the with the Lakers. The question is, you know, where's Rob Palinka's head right now, right.
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: Where where does he stand right now? What is his what is his future looking like?
Speaker 1: Well, he stands right now where he is that we do know. But if you just look at the model the Dodgers used, he's there this year. But see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised to see him revamp that. Let me ask you this, And maybe it's only because and I was thinking about this.
Speaker 2: Ye, that's no disrespect to Rob a Lincoln. But when as a team, they're gonna want to put their own people, and we just talked about it. You know, Nick coleedti as good as it gets, good as it gets, and and ran several you know, clubs have four been in the business for a long long time. They didn't do anything wrong. But when somebody buys a team, they're going to want to put their own people in and they have their own ideas about it. So that's just the way business works.
Speaker 1: And maybe with a renewed investment in the business, Rob Polink and suddenly becomes a much better general manager, and maybe he won't be in every camera shot anymore. That you see at every game you turn around, Rob polink is sitting there. You turn around, He's standing behind you. I've never seen a guy on camera Moore as a general manager at games. At Rob Polinka, He's everywhere. He's invisible that he appears. He just shows up. You don't know how he got there. And then the attorney's standing over there everywhere. Maybe if they have increased resources, build up the front office a little bit, Rob Polinka turns out to be a pretty good GM. Maybe he does. But given the way the Dodgers have operated and Andrew Friedman coming in with a model that works, you would believe that that's the kind of thing they would do. Who in basketball creates that model for them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, see Sam Prizy, somebody like that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right who That's kind of how they operate, right, there's that. And now let me ask you this, and maybe it's only because of the Dodger guys. I mean the Lakers being sold in the Bus Family's meant so much to everyone in this community, and they've done so much for the people of Los Angeles and for many they provided back in the days of the Forum, the most memorable sports nights of anyone's life, because not only did you go to the game, you hung out at the Forum and it was a place to be. So really, there should be a morning period here and when it first happened, we discussed that on the air, but there should be you know, wow, wow, oh my god, part of my history growing up here.
Speaker 3: It's just gone.
Speaker 1: But the thing is because it's Mark Walter and the Dodger guys. Yeah, I don't think there's any morning at all. I think it's like, this.
Speaker 2: Is great, this is fantastic, this is the best. Yeah, And let's get to it's not it's not an outsider coming in somebody from the East Coast coming in to run the Lakers or buy the Lakers and put their own state. No, it's somebody that has had that has a track record of doing it right in LA that everybody loves in La and because the success and what they've done with the Dodgers. When they when it came out that they bought the Lakers, you were like, oh, yes, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get that. No, that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's because it feels like it's one of our own because of what they did with the Dodgers and the group that they have with the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: It's one of our own, you know.
Speaker 2: It's not an outsider really coming in and taking over and and and buying a there are.
Speaker 3: Franchise the Lakers.
Speaker 2: It is one of our own, local guys, even though they're not local. It's not local guys taking over the Lakers. So it feels good. It's a feel good moment.
Speaker 1: But it's really odd because everybody should have taken a step back and gone, wow, wow, the bus Family is not only the Lakers.
Speaker 3: Everybody should have done that. It was immediate.
Speaker 1: It's like, when can these guys from the Dodgers get in there? When does it start?
Speaker 3: And it's so.
Speaker 1: Different because the Bus family did so much for sports in this city, all of them, especially Genie obviously, who everybody loves.
Speaker 3: But it was like, is this real? Yeah, Okay, boom, can they start tomorrow? Right?
Speaker 1: There was no all wow, let's look back, none of that. It's like, let's go, let's go. So, in a very roundabout way, what does the foreseeable future mean for Jeannie with the day to day operation of the club? I guess no clue an understanding. She and Mark Walter are friends at the very least Rodney this year, at the very least this year. They go through the season, then I think, do you think I'm wrong?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I mean no, you're not wrong, because first of all, it's not going to be ratified until the fall anyway.
Speaker 3: So the season is start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the season will already be started. So they're gonna they're gonna sit back and let it happen.
Speaker 3: You know. It's it's like anything Stan.
Speaker 2: Kronkey coming back to La is gonna They're gonna sit back and just let it happen, assess the situation and go, okay, now we've got.
Speaker 3: To make some changes. Right now, We've got to make some changes right all right?
Speaker 1: Uh, you know what, we still have to talk about getting rid of the NBA draft. They try to give it the hoop law of the NFL draft, but that doesn't really happen, that doesn't really happen.
Speaker 4: Make AM five seventy l a sports a preset before you plug in your phone. Presets in the iHeartRadio app, now available with Apple CarPlay and Android autom Just another easy way to listen to LA's best sports talk.
Speaker 2: Yes we are back, Roger Pete Fred Rogan on a home day. Yeah, a beautiful Wednesday, Southern California. Yeah, Freddie, it's a beautiful day. I'm watching these Uh, you know around the around Major League Baseball? Is it me or is it? MLB has made a resurgence. It's a little bit of a renaissance for MLB. Their popularity has gotten a lot greater over the last couple of years because at a point it was dying a little bit. And I think that they they've done something, Fred to create the popularity where it is now, where more and more people are not only going to games, but they're watching games on TV.
Speaker 1: MLB network is great. It is, it is it is. I don't know if you have cable anymore, but if you have cable, make sure you check out MLB Network. They do a terrific job. And Baseball adjusted made some made some corrections. Uh, bases a little bigger. Let's get rid of the shift, put a pitch clock in, all those things that everybody complained about. And you say, what is that gonna do? What does that mean? Why would you do that? Even having somebody start on second base and extra innings that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: What does it do?
Speaker 1: Game is faster, game is more urgent, not as much time. A laver comes in, he's got to phase three guys. Yeah, right, just think of what they did.
Speaker 3: Little things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was it seemed like, why are you doing that? But if you looked at the totality of all of their decisions, it was to make it faster, urgent. Anything can happen. You got two and a half, you know, two and a half minutes, boom, inning's over.
Speaker 3: And go to the dugout.
Speaker 2: They started to embrace the person. Remember before it was like, you play the game the right way. You got to do this the right way.
Speaker 3: And you know, we don't.
Speaker 2: You know, it's about the name on the front, not the name on the back and all those things. But there seems like there's more promotion of the Aaron Judges, Otani's, the Bryce Harper's and you know, Manny Machado's and individual tattis. They're allowing for the individuality of these players to come out like the other sports, like in basketball and the NBA and like in football. They've been able to do that where they were so rigid in the past of just play the game, it doesn't matter, We're not going to promote our stars, and they're starting to do that more.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, these stars are from a different generation.
Speaker 1: Keep that in mind. Yeah, right, they grew up differently. They are more into social media, they are more into those types of things. So it's also a symptom of society. But let's talk about the NBA draft tonight. We know Cooper Flagger going number one to Dallas all right done, and we know that seemed a bit questionable that they lose a look at Danchic. Everybody wanted to, you know, run Nico Harrison out of town, and all of a sudden they have the first pick.
Speaker 3: That's how it worked out. No funny business.
Speaker 1: David Aldridge wrote a great piece and we talked about this. You know, the draft really is obsolete. The draft is obsolete. You finished last, you get the first pick. That should be that's wrong. You don't get rewarded for being bad right off the bat. You should not be rewarded. You're terrible. We're gonna make it fair. No, you're terrible. Figure it out. We're not making it fair. But David Aldridge wrote this piece and I really liked it, you know, and we've talked about this in the past. Here's what he thinks. There's no draft, no draft at all tonight. What would happen is the players in the top tier. And what would happen is players coming out that were eligible would go into three different tiers one, two, three. All right, So for example, this year, Cooper Flag, that group is in group one, and there are so many players in Group one, then there are players in group two, players in Group three. After group three, it's a free for all. It's a free for all.
Speaker 3: What do you mean? The players can go wherever they want? What do you mean? Free for all?
Speaker 1: And in this model, the players can go wherever they want as well.
Speaker 3: So here's the way it works outside of group three. Yes, this is how it works. Okay, break it down.
Speaker 1: The players outside of group for three aren't an anty group. They're just do whatever you want. You can sign with anybody, just like it is now, right, if you don't get your.
Speaker 2: Free agent, yeah, you don't get drafted, you go anywhere you want to go, right, all right, But for the top.
Speaker 1: Player, here's the way it works. There's somebody in the top group, Cooper Flagg. He's obviously the number one pick in this draft. According to his model, he's going to pick where he goes. He could go to Boston, he could go to the Lakers, he could go to Dallas. He can go wherever he wants. So then why would he pick a place I don't know. Maybe he's from there, Maybe he likes the city, Maybe he's impressed with the facilities, maybe he's impressed with the way they take care of their players. Maybe he wants to go to a place that has a winning history. He can go wherever he wants. So, once you've signed one player from Group one, you cannot sign another Group one player for two years. So when you go out and get the big fish, you can't catch the big one again for two years. There is a limit to how many times you can do it. So, okay, so now we're going to start to regulate that. So nobody just takes the top guy every year. And then you say, well, Wow, Let's say he picks the Lakers or the Clippers. Let's say pick them the Clippers. Cooper flag we're talking about. Yeah, let's say pick the Clippers. All right, that's where he would go. He got to pick. But they might have to adjust their salary cap right now. They may have to. And these guys are get paid in tiers just like they normally are, but they might have to adjust it to get them. And by the way, if you take him now we know this, other players coming out next year, you can't go get them. So once you got your Tier one guy, now you can get as many Tier two guys or three guys as you want.
Speaker 3: If they come to you.
Speaker 1: But what will happen is guys might get into a situation where I'd like to be a star. Now I'm not going to be a star there. Maybe that's more important to me. Maybe the city is more important to me. So how would you recruit these guys? You could do a hell of a job to recruit them. You got to convince them to come play for you. You've got to have great facilities you You basically have.
Speaker 3: To do what the Dodgers have done.
Speaker 1: You have to build something like that. Or yeah, college recruiting. Kevin just said my ear, yeah, good college recruiting. That's how you would do it. So when you came out of USC if this plan was in place, where would you have played?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, that's a that's a good question. Certainly wouldn't been Detroit. Yeah, I I you know at that time, this was.
Speaker 3: You know, given given the climate where it was, uh, it might have been the Rams.
Speaker 2: Actually at that time, Rams were in a situation where they were in transition quarterback wise, it might have been San Francisco. Montana was getting older, they is prior to Steve Young signing there, could have gone there.
Speaker 3: And you know, at that time, most quarterbacks came out.
Speaker 2: You didn't necessarily not everybody started right away unless you were like the number one pick, right, you went and you sat for a year or two and then uh then you you broke in.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: If that that that that works. So if you're Cooper Flag and he wants to play for the Lakers, then you got to work it into your salary cap situation.
Speaker 5: Right, No, it's it's it's all slotted like it's slotted.
Speaker 1: But you're right, it's slotted. But you know, you can't go onto the second apron and stuff like that. You'd have to move guys to get out of luxury tax problems.
Speaker 3: It slotted, though, I don't mess.
Speaker 5: I mean sure, I guess i'man you worry about that usually after the draft, at that point in time, you know exactly how much a Tier one or a first overall pick would make. So yeah, you have to account for that to a certain degree, but it's not going to count against you going into.
Speaker 2: The get so you only get one of these guys. If so, you get one of the one of the guys that are coming out. So if Cooper Flag picks the Lakers to play for the the next guy, the next top prospect player, whoever it may be, can't pick the Lakers, correct, that's right.
Speaker 5: And the Lakers lose the ability to draft or whatever you want to call this, take sign a Tier one player for the next two years after.
Speaker 2: That, and Tier one players are are determined by who the general.
Speaker 5: General manager's front office types basically how draft rankings are. Now it will be the exact same.
Speaker 3: Draft rank they would rank the kids. Yep, mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Now you're throwing in two inside of the tier. So it's not like I wrote, I rank you know, Cooper flag as number one, this is number two, this is number three. But they would have a group of players, and David Aldrig has a I forget the exact number of players, but Fred maybe.
Speaker 3: You remember fifteen players.
Speaker 5: Fifteen players something like that will be Tier one, then the next fifteen will be Tier two, then the next would be you know in the et cetera, just like that.
Speaker 1: Seventy five players total, right, Kevin, Yeah, yeah, seventy five. So it'd be fifteen would be Tier one, thirty would be Tier two, thirty then would be Tier three, and then all bets are off. And in this scenario, I think it's really fascinating you can get a Tier one, Tier two, and Tier three in the same year. You can do that, identify three of the guys we want those three, convince them to come play for you.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: You got to do a really good job as an organization, which would scare some organizations.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it would square scare a lot of organization. Nobody's going to nobody's going down to playing Charlotte. You know, none of those guys are going down there, and so you're gonna have you're gonna still have You're gonna be top heavy with the top like ten teams, twelve teams, whatever that is.
Speaker 1: But remember, once they're in, they're out for two years, so they can't go back. You can't cherry pick. That would open it for somebody else.
Speaker 2: I think that guy to Cooper Flag and if I'm the number one prospect from for next year, I can't go to the Lakers.
Speaker 1: No, I can't go to the Golden State. No, you can't be a Tier one guy like they can't take another Tier one.
Speaker 3: No. I think it's a great idea. I think it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Well I thought you would, but I'm not sure why this time. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That's that's terrible.
Speaker 5: The aspect of it the die like is that that it disincentivizes tanking because now there's no need to. It doesn't make any sense for everyone that wants to argue against tanking and teams not trying to win towards the end of the season. It does you no good at that point.
Speaker 2: There's other ways that deterred tanking. Maybe you pay a fine if you're a certain level. If you don't have so many wins, you gotta get over a certain threshold that you you lose something certain capabilities. But no, no, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't like the model. Why why don't you like it? Because I don't think it works.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, I think it you know, Okay, so you're gonna get you know, uh, certain guys get the picked. I want to go play for the Lakers, and then you're gonna have fifteen teams in the league that's just gonna just gonna rotate. Or a guy's gonna say I'm not playing, I'm not playing for Charlotte. I'm gonna go and play in Spain for a year.
Speaker 3: What is that? What happens then?
Speaker 2: Or I'm not coming out in this year's draft, or I'm I'm doing something different until the Lakers can pick me again. I well, I'm going to I'm going to Spain, or I'm going to exercise my right to not come out of high school.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go play college for a year. And I think it just it's just handcuffs certain teams.
Speaker 2: I think there's other ways to to punish teams for tanking other than taking away the whole entire draft.
Speaker 3: It forces teams to do a better job of it. We don't have the draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we don't have the draft, we don't see Oklahoma City in Indiana in the finals this year.
Speaker 3: Why couldn't they have just signed those guys all along.
Speaker 2: Don't see seven different NBA championships or champions in seven years, because that that is what parody is all about, is that one team doesn't create a dynasty and they don't win it three, four or five straight years in a row. Even though I believe dynasties are good, I believe you got to have teams that are at the top that everybody wants to knock off.
Speaker 3: I believe that that creates excitement. I like that.
Speaker 2: But it also allows for a team like Oklahoma City, like Indiana to being up in comer and find a way to build and then be in the championship like they were this year.
Speaker 1: Short show today, two hours, so we're back to wrap it up.
Speaker 4: We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer. Make Am five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple Car Play or Android Auto road Trip all summer with La sports Dope.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, finish it up, Fred, come on now, Rody Pete, Fred Rogan, hump Day, Dodgers, Rockies.
Speaker 3: Come on. Got Yamamoto on the hill tonight.
Speaker 1: I'm liking that.
Speaker 3: That's a win. Oh yeah, he's got to get the win. You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's not like they haven't been getting to him a little bit recently.
Speaker 2: Well he's still under three yeah, e ra, but he's uh. I think his record is what six and six. They haven't scored down with a lot of runs for him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like back in the day a little bit with uh with Kershaw. They got to get some run support for him when he's on the hill. But yeah, this is this would be a good one for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Up there, Dolander is pitching for Colorado. Show a hands. Everybody know him. No, I didn't think so.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And also it'll be interesting to see if Michael Confordo gets another hit. I mean, it'll be fascinating to watch this now and just see because he's on the clock, and see if he can consistently deliver. He's a big league player. He's done it in the past, he got off to an awful start. That doesn't mean he can't do it. But now we'll see because he is on the clock, and I think people are going to be laser focused on what he does now with the trade deadline coming up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what is good enough? Right?
Speaker 2: What is going to be good enough for him going forward for them not to say we got to go out and get a left handed bat.
Speaker 1: That's the question. What is the definition of he's okay? You know, he's not gonna he's not gonna get three hits a game every game in the month of July. That will not happen. So what does it need to be? Oh, we'll see all right, Uh, Ronnie, thank you, Kevin, great work as always. Dodgers play early tomorrow, so we're off and we'll talk to you on Friday.