Speaker 1: There's a lot of things been going on recently, and ironically, I don't think it's just particular to things that are going on inside of a gym. Welcome to the Transformation Station podcast. I'm Christina, owner, operator, and founder of the Transformation Station, and this is where we talk about getting stronger while navigating real life. If you're trying to stay consistent through the ups and the downs and everywhere else in between, this is for you.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So, something that's been going on a lot. Maybe I'm just more aware of it now, but I always hear people apologizing a lot. So like if someone misses classes because they're on vacation, I'll always say, like, there's no shame in that, Like we work hard in the four walls of the gym. That way we can enjoy your life on the outside of the gym. Sometimes people are like, oh my gosh, I had pizza on the weekend, and then they automatically start explaining themselves, like almost like they're like in a confession booth and they're like, I have to just get this off my chest. And then like maybe someone's explaining why they aren't able to do something that they were able to do last week. But it's not like in like an informative way. It's almost like a I don't want to look like I'm lazy kind of a way because they had to change something because maybe they slid into a third base at baseball and they hurt themselves. It's baseball season. I hear a lot of baseball things like that, But like, none of those things are surprising to me, because I know that life gets messy and things happen and things change, and like sometimes people are getting this odd thing called a summer cold. How dare we get sick in the summertime when the sun is shining, or like any time because we eat vegetables. But there's also sometimes like kids have hockey tournaments, work gets busy. Sometimes you're just tired, and that's pretty normal. Like I always say, like there's consistency. Doesn't look like being a the gym five days a week at the exact same time for the end of all time, for the rest of your life and ongoing, because that, to me, isn't reality, and that's not exactly what life is. And like there's some people that are very disciplined, and guess what, those people get sick too, and they end up missing the gym for two weeks because they can't even breathe, never mind workout.
Speaker 2: So that tends to happen.
Speaker 1: But the thing that surprises me, I would say, the very very most, is like how much shame people carry because of that? And I say that to you because there's sometimes I feel like that too, where it's like, oh no, like I ended up hurting my knee, I'm gonna say it's money, and even going down to the ground to demonstrate things, I tried to hide it like this is so painful because it was evidence that I was doing something. I was moving my body, but I felt embarrassed because I'm like, oh no, people will be like, oh Christians always turbo, like I never have ailments, Like yeah, my hercules tendon has been a pain in my thorn in my side for the last four years because I tore it and I didn't do surgery.
Speaker 2: And that's not a secret because I talk about that very openly.
Speaker 1: Because I do believe, like the podcast episode that Nicky and I recorded, that when we talk about these things that we have gone through, it normalizes us, and therefore it makes people feel more able and capable. So that's why I do bring that up quite often because I know that someone listening is going to resonate with some sort of injury and also feeling guilty about having an injury or guilty about like sneezing.
Speaker 2: Which is a part of everyday life.
Speaker 1: I wish that wasn't for you, and I wish these things weren't, but that's just how things go up and down. And I think too, like social media doesn't help because we always say like that is our like our showboat, like it's the finish line. It's like the highlight reel. That's what I was That's the word I was looking for. It's the highlight reel of people's lives. Like we don't see sometimes if people are arguing before they took the smiling family picture and you're like, oh, that picture was so nice, Like oh my gosh, it took us three hour see at that picture, and somebody left and they came back or whatever, right, like we see the end results. We don't see the twenty takes that it takes to make it real or to take a selfie. We don't see the fifteen other selfies that people have to delete before they choose to pick one. Also, like and when it comes to business, like we don't see the business owner who is wondering if maybe they made the right decision, or maybe it's the person that is plateaued and they're stuck, let's say at the same body fat percentage, or wait for the entire month when they've been working so hard and.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're starting to get a little bit discouraged.
Speaker 1: Like, our brains tend to fill in the blanks, and when our brains fill in the blanks, it's not usually that kind and there's some neuroscience behind that, because like your brain is constantly trying to predict what is happening, like things that we can't control, the that we can't control, all the stuff that's around us. And when it doesn't have that information, it tends to again fill in the blanks and it makes up the rest based on the facts that we know. And sometimes our brain can play tricks on us. So usually what happens is we use our own fears and our own securities to fill in those blanks and to write the rest of what that story is. And that's why I think it's so easy for people to believe that everybody else is either more disciplined, they never get sick. They're happier, they're richer, they're stronger, they're more confident than you are because when you have these conversations, and I have a lot of conversations in a day, even on this podcast and in everyday life, I talk to at least I don't know how many hundreds of maybe thousands of people within one week. And that's something that is real. When you actually sit down and have conversations with people, you find out that they are worried and they are insecure about something. Even the person that you would deem as, oh, this person is so pretty and they have the most perfect body, they're usually insecure about something as well. And that's just based on the surface. And when we dig deeper into some people's lives, like maybe they're struggling with menopause or perimenopause. Some people are very worried about their parents. Some people are trying to Oh my gosh. One thing that I hear going into September is people paying for their kids' school books, Like that's expensive. I found out that there's a book I think it was an engineering I believe it was. It's like a five hundred dollars book.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So not to add that to the pile of that's something you're thinking of, But I see you. I do not relate to that, but I see you. Maybe they've also been fighting with people in their home. Maybe it's their spouse, maybe it's their kids. Maybe something's happening with one of their animals that I can relate to. Or maybe people aren't sleeping proper, whether it is menopause, or maybe it's someone who maybe just had a baby and that baby thinks this party time at one o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: But that, to me, it tells me.
Speaker 1: That everybody, Like when I look around the gym, this is something I think about quite often, Like everybody is carrying something.
Speaker 2: And it's not like.
Speaker 1: There was a show I used to watch called A Big Comfy Couch, and I was a lot older watching that show than I would like to admit.
Speaker 2: But there was Molly Dolly. It's Lunette and her Dolly, a clown and a Molly or something like that. Anyway, she would have thought bubbles.
Speaker 1: But when you look around the room, we don't see like Molly Dolly's thought bubbles of exactly what everybody is thinking. That would be easy, I think and there's sometimes I wouldn't want to know, but like that is the reality if we actually had our thoughts displayed. Also maybe we might think a little bit differently if that's the case. But anyway, but that's that's why I liked having conversations with people in the gym. I like learning about people's different experiences. I also love connecting people who or going through similar things or that are in similar experiences in life. And also that's why I like to talk about other people who own businesses too, because like we don't always spend an hour talking about how amazing everything is. Like tomorrow, on tomorrow's podcast episode, I'm speaking with Martina that owns Charisma Hair and Cedar Point Drive. And it's cool because like we can laugh about things that are like chaotic and things that one sideways. We can share ideas, we can talk about when we've changed our minds. We're in different industries, we can we can learn about things that they're teaching and how what they're doing is benefiting our community.
Speaker 2: Of Barry as well.
Speaker 1: And same like talking with people that are in similar industries. Like if you go back to the previous podcast where I was talking with doctor Liz, who is a natural pathic doctor, Like, there is some correlations that we're servicing some of the people under the same umbrella, so it's pretty cool, like when you can bounce those ideas and like sometimes I also like to be reassured too, because it's like okay, high five, high five. So those things are awesome because we service sometimes similar clientele or maybe different client tele but we can all learn from each other for the ultimate benefit of a our client or patient or member. And also to breathe a little bit easier as a business owner as well, because like I like to have a reminder that we're all just trying to do a good job, and that's pretty good to me. And those conversations I find are becoming rare and I don't want to. I like social media and I hate social media at the same time, and I do hate a strong word. But I've been into like the pits of social media where I'm like, I don't like this, but you'll hear time and time again, like business and social media kind of goes hand in hand, especially if you're the face of your business. But in uh, in tomorrow's episode, like it's we actually reported that today to be transparent, but it's not a perfectly polished interview, like we didn't have any notes. It's two people just talking incredibly honestly. We're talking about work and people in business and the lessons that come from doing something that you care about for a very long time. And when you do listen to these episodes, I hope that it can remind you that not everybody has everything figured out all of the time, Like there's a lot of us that are just doing the best that we can with what we know today and the information that we have today. And then like the next day, we wake up and we do sometimes similar things, the same thing, and sometimes we pivot and go completely in a different direction. But it's waking up knowing that, Okay, tomorrow we're gonna keep We're going to keep going, We're going to try again. Something that I'm going to be working on myself, and I'm going to share this with you because you might like to do it alongside me too. Is like when your brain starts to fill in blanks and answer questions that you actually don't know the information from. Something I'm going to be asking myself that you can maybe do this too, is do I.
Speaker 2: Know what's going on? Do I actually know the facts? Is this true?
Speaker 1: Or am I just making up some bullshit that I think because of my perspective and my experiences and also my insecurities. Am I filling in the blanks? Or is this actually true? Because most of the time it's not the truth. Most of the time, it's that insecurities and stuff that we're nervous about that's filling in those blanks. And if today wasn't your best day, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be an entire bad week. And I mean, life happens. There's some things that are very unfortunate, and we cannot control those things. But if today wasn't your best day because of something that is controllable uncontrollable, then I'm going to challenge you to not turn it into a whole, entire bad week. And I'm talking about like missed workouts book the next one. I'm talking about if you made a mistake at work, if you overshared, or you spoke in a way that you don't feel proud about, because that happens to me sometimes too. I talk a lot, So guess what one hundred percent of book comes out of my mouth? I'm not always proud about.
Speaker 2: But we can learn from those things and we can move on from them.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to a pizza. Maybe you had pizza. Enjoy your pizza. I keep going like progress. Progress is never about doing things perfect all the time, every single day. I know that, recording almost half more than halfway to two hundred podcast episodes, I'm not always going to alliterate my words.
Speaker 2: In the least offensive way. I just thought it like that.
Speaker 1: There's sometimes I say things and people look at me like I have ten heads, and I'm like, I think I said something wrong. I'm not sure, but I am sure, But like, what else can you do about it? You cannot take back things that you have already done in that context. You can only just hope to keep on moving forward and learn from some of those things. You don't have to let one moment or one insecurity become your entire story and also slapping a label and saying that's who you are as a person. Like I know, sometimes I overshare, and there's sometimes I get anxious, or sometimes I forget my audience when I'm talking because it's just more genuine and in the moment, and some people will be like, oh, that is such an amazing thing because sometimes people are nervous to actually express how they feel. But then on the contrast of that, it's a double edged sword. There's sometimes when you're like, I just really love people and I don't want people to be offended.
Speaker 2: So like, there's a whole thing about that.
Speaker 1: But I'm not going to slap my label on me and say, like, well, let me rephrace that.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to slop a label on me and.
Speaker 1: Say I shouldn't be recording a podcast, I shouldn't be dealing with people because sometimes I'm make mistakes. So when you say that out loud, when you hear that, it kind of sounds foolish, right, Like anyway, So just be sure that your insecurities are not trying to tell you that this is the truth. I mean, evaluate, move on, pivot, adjust your sales. I'm huge into adjusting your sales. Do whatever it is that you need to do. All right, So this is meant to be short and sweet. If this episode made you think of someone maybe who's been really hard on themselves lately, send it to them. Sometimes hearing me too is exactly what somebody else needs. Thank you, So much for spending your time with me, time and time again, thank you for tuning into the podcast The Transformation Station. Tomorrow Friday, we have a conversation with Martina happening from Chrisma hair. I think you're really going to enjoy the honest chit chat. Until next time.