Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like during that break we just kind of kept the show going. Austin and I were rolling, and I'm very happy that what was said wasn't on public airwaves because I'd probably get in trouble. But also, you know, I feel like the overall area of said conversation was real, genuine, and I know a lot of people aren't that. In fact, I'm sure nobody is really interested much at all in like my life personally or anything like that. But I do think being transparent can only benefit you because long story short, you can find anybody yapping about what we app about, you got to find a way to keep them interested in you and that kind of So what I'm getting at is, you know, I talk a lot about my family, my children, my life. And it's not because I think it's just like you guys just have to hear about me. I'm so special, I'm so great, I've got you know, But it's just to make it more relatable to people, because a lot of you listening, you know, what, you have a wife or a husband, or children, that kind of stuff. So to not sound so self absorbed, there's a lot of experience this year, experiences this year as a Louisville fan that I hadn't felt in a long time. But there's also some first time things, right, like I could not have been more lucky, blessed, fortunate, whatever word you want to use. As far as this being the first team that my son was old enough to like really follow. He could name the team, everybody on the team. He got to go to games, he got to meet some of the players, he got to meet Pat Kelsey when I threw out the first pitch of the bat, so like that's his hero. Yeah, I mean it was. It was a blessing that like just timed out by luck, I guess, or the man upstairs. So that was great and that. But but like it just hit me now, like I've my wife, she's gonna she's the one picking up moves from daycare today. And I also kind of got on her a little bit earlier, like why would you tell him that they're playing during daycare? Like why don't we just like, you know, decide how we're gonna deal with it? And he felled out a bracket, and he got excited and then he you know, he picked the cards to win it all. So his bracket's done. But she's gonna be the one that picks him up from daycare, and he's either going to already know because maybe they had some March madness stuff going on. If there's any state, any area where daycare would be infiltrated by March madness, it would be here because we love it more than anybody else. So he may already know, or she may have to be the one to tell him, and I wish it was me one because I feel sad for for for my wife to have to do that, but also as someone who knows that pain, I want to be the one to tell him it's going to be okay, and you know, hopefully, if I'm lucky, he doesn't know or he's distracted and we can have the conversation later. Yes, it sounds super dramatic. This sounds like is this guy serious? What a lunatic? Yes? I am a certified lunatic when it comes to this stuff. I got the reminder this year, really the last month or so of one, I am a little different mentally, I think, unfortunately than I was at the time Louisville was last in a position to where they were safely in the tournament, looking like they were going to be good. But you know, that's life. Life happens. But I mean, what this does to me cannot be good for me, right, I mean, I shouldn't feel the way I shouldn't have the anxiousness before today's game that I have for a game that I'm not playing in that quite literally my overall well being. You know, this won't impact my life at all other than just being a sad fan. So again, it depends on how you want to look at it. And I know there are enough of you that relate to where I don't feel as if I'm just, you know, completely opening myself up here to be viewed as the most certifiably is insane person that ever existed. But you know, I got to find a way to balance it now and to go back to what I was telling Austin, like that's a silver lining here, is that to know that I got to be, you know, the positive one to tell my son it's going to be okay. That'll make that'll be better for me than just sitting in my own toxicity in my own sadness. So as much as I sound like a dramatic lunatic and right and I am like, I'm not telling you, I'm not the show overall, but those just not joining us today. Here Coffee and Company a rare, weird postgame show where we go on for three hours right after the game ends and Louisville's the first team out of the tournament. It's really been a postgame show. It's been a celebration of life, as I've called it. As far as this team, this group that was so special, I did not think that I would feel any differently about this team if they lost in the first round of the tournament, no matter who was against, no matter what the score was, and that played out today. So my feelings are sad. I'm just sad man because it's over. It's over. And I hate that this group was a group that we only get for one year. And that's really just the new world of college We're not victims here, that's just college basketball.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: With that said, we were a little bit different to where every single piece was brand new, and I think you're gonna get some guys back, but we also have to realize you never know I mean, this is a new world now. I mean, you never know if anybody's going to be back. So I don't say that to put fear out there that maybe some guys won't return, but the fact that it's over is a real, real gut punch. But everything that happened was still, you know, a great experience, meaning before today. And these guys, man, they brought us back to life. They had every excuse in the book to end. Like if they would have just finished, you know, flirting with an nit bit, nobody around here would have been celebrating. Certainly there would have been some real questions about Pat Kelsey that kind of stuff, like I know how we are, but it would have also been legitimately understandable, and it also would have been a massive improvement. Now again, the massive improvement thing is not even really worth bringing up, because being better than what we had previously is I mean, that's not even like a bar like, that's just I mean, that's that should they should be throwing in prison for that, or give back all the money you were paid to coach the program. So you know, it's sad, But this group, overall, I think their ability to stay focused despite injuries despite clearly some things working against them, and never really wavering, and then I just think it was the perfect storm to where they did, in fact stay locked in think big picture, didn't worry about their wins and losses on a game by game basis. They just kept trying to get better and they kind of reformed after the injuries happened to where they became a good team and they went on a great run in January and that was a fun, fun ride. And at that time, that's whenever we really started to get hit in the fields as far as like, all right, these guys are bringing us back to life. This is awesome, and they're playing hard. I don't know, we weren't thinking about tournament seating as much as we typically would because you're just happy to be alive again. And you know what they embrace that they felt, I think an appreciation to be in, you know, to be this group that did that for us, to where it was just a perfect thing as far as just this kind of like overall not even realistic, because I'm gonna say this, what Pat Kelsey and this team did this year, and I know in March and college basketball is what it's all about. So like what do they do they lost in the first round. I'm sure there's some people out there saying that, and it's whatever, Like I get it, Like that's that's that's why, that's why college basketball can be a tricky bitch pard my language. But like you can give her a phenomenal date. We're talking, oh, shopping spree, best dinner in town. I've been out of the game a long time. What would be a really nice thing to do? They just do to like carriage rides in like a down Like I'm I'm maybe I'm realizing how how non romantic I am. But like, you can you can, yeah, you can, you can. You can go above and beyond and in an amazing way exceed expectations. But if you're not delivering at the end, that's going to be the lasting impression. Right, So that's what college basketball is. So you know, you live with it. But this is the rarity for me to where today's ending in March, as painful as it was, it does not change anything as far as how I feel about this team. And again, I'm just sad that it's over. So back to what I was saying, I know you can flip a team instantly, and there have been teams that had worst records that made deeper tournament runs. But I really if you asked me ten months ago, maybe eight months ago, once the roster was completely set, if what Louisville did this year, every way, every step of it, like you told me who they beat, who they lost to, what seed they got, who they lost to in the tournament, if you would have told me, in fact, if you would have asked me, would you take it no question? If you would have asked me if it's realistic, I would say hell no. And I know I can't rattle off like can you believe they beat this team that team? But it was a combination of a lot of things. They were always competitive, seemingly and that's why today happened. They had a run go against them that they hadn't had all year that most teams, in fact, nearly all teams, I believe, would have probably found themselves in a hole too big to climb out of against a Creighton team like that. So all in all, if I wanted to be down about like where Louisville basketball is, I don't think I could be, because it just would be me having to convince myself of something that I can't. I can't manufacture that kind of feeling. So no disappointment. I mean, I'm disappointed in a result, but I'm not disappointed in its team, this staff. I'm just sad. That's what it comes down to, all right again, Coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We'll get back into you know what happened today, but just to get you updated. We've got a lot going on. Of course, these are the best two days of the year, but man, when you lose early, it sucks. And being the first team out I didn't need a reminder, but we got one today. That not a word, not much of a worse way to go out than being the first team eliminated. Right, You get on the dance floor before the party gets going, right, Like the early people are on the dance floor, are out there trying like they got they got nothing else to offer, They're just good dancers, so they're they're out. They're out there early before the vibes are been there because that's all they got in their bag. Like, Hey, I'm not social, maybe you know, maybe I'm maybe I'm you know, not good in any way, but I can move. I got rhythm. So you're out there trying to force it. Well, then you know, once the party gets going, you got to leave the dance floor because you you know you're done. That's what happened today and it sucks, it really does. But anyways, today currently Auburn just wrapped up there their victory, but they didn't cover and at times they they were never in jeopardy of losing. But eighty three sixty three they beat Alabama State. There wasn't ever going to be a sixteen one upset there, but they did trail by I'm sorry, they only led by single digits for some time in the second half, which again, make of that what you will. They may still win the national championship, I don't know, but Alabama State did have them at least a little bit uncomfortable early on and then an ass whooping is going on right now, although Clemson is at least battling back, but it's a little too late, I would imagine, although they aren't only down let's see seventeen. Now it's thirty four to fifty one. Clemson's trailing McNee State, which I said this earlier, that doesn't prove anything about Louisville, but it also kind of confirms what I believe that if the committee was going to again the committee puting Louisville as an eight in Clemson as a five, that's the overall issue with the whole thing. But I watched Clemson and they won. Didn't have the resume deserving of a five if Louisville had an eight, But they also never passed the eye test, and they're you know, Louisville. Even when they were beaten bad teams, you could understand what people thought, like, damn, this team's really Like there were national objective people that like would see Louisville win by thirty against SMU or whatever, or be up forty against wake Forest and know that the teams they're playing aren't great, but damn, this team's dangerous. Like I had, I think I had a wherewithal to kind of understand that a clear factor in that is also who they're playing. And you know that's the the ACC was bad this year. Doesn't mean Louisville was bad. But again I can't we can't prove that we were much better than the teams that are, you know, clearly not having success here in the tournament, and Louisville was one of them, and now Clemson is h b CU and BYU were at the half, BYU's up thirty nine to twenty eight. I would imagine that thirty nine first half points is probably the most that that DCU is given up to a team in the first half, maybe maybe all year. There were I mean they want to send back, Yeah I do. I do too, and BYU at times can be the most explode offense you'll see in college basketball. That's why they went on a run to close up Big twelve play to even get in at the seed they got in at exciting.
Speaker 3: Whites Isle.
Speaker 2: Very well said Houston won seventy eight to forty against SIU Edwardsville.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: And then Purdue they won. But I did not see the actual final of that one.
Speaker 3: Are they covered they think it was? It may have been like sixty nine to fifty eight.
Speaker 2: I had them covering just because I felt like the spread in that game only made sense because you know, Purdue, other than last year, has sucked in the turnament, right, because other than that, it didn't make any sense, Like you're only viewing and that also reminds me why you know, the trend stats are so often shared, and maybe people have made a lot more money than I ever will when it comes to betting on games. But I don't know why you look at what a seed has done historically in the previous ten to fifteen years whenever it's a every year it's a different team, right, and every year there's a like every year the five Seeds may not be as good or bad as the five seeds in previous years. Like I again, the numbers are what they are. Clearly there's a trend there, and if you just follow that, you've made money. But the rationale behind why that was what you would what you would bet, That's never made any sense to me. But you know what, it's all luck. That's what sports gambling is. And hopefully I can be lucky the rest of the way because I won't, you know, I won't have a team to really pull for. I guess now it's just about who who can beat Kentucky, and I don't think it's gonna be Troy. But also, you know, yeah, like who does who does Illinois have to play?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it Xavier?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So would you agree we need Illinois to bet Xavier to take out Kentucky. I think so, yeah, Like, I mean, maybe Xavier could do it, clearly, you know, well they're.
Speaker 3: Very well coached too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but bett, I felt like last night was a sign of Sean Miller being a really good coach more so than them being like a team. Like I think clearly the best player on the floor was the freshman for Texas. But other than that, like I I you know, but then again, like Mark Pope at times has lost to teams that I would be like, how'd you lose to them? Like you got you're not even loaded, but you got better players than them, and then they beat teams where I'm thinking, how the hell that happen? So, you know, them them not surviving the second weekend would would really would really make this not hurt as bad, right, Like people can act like that, Oh you're you're you're a loser, you're team longer than ain't. Yes, that's how this works. Welcome to rivalries, Welcome to you know what, nearly every other I mean I shouldn't say every because clearly there's not. But like, I don't know, that's always been my biggest question when it comes to the rivalry stuff. Because we all know and it's really undoubted. It's undoubtable that you pay attention to your rival, which again kind of means their your rival. You care about them more than others, and that's why they're your rival, of course, So like this notion of like, well, I don't even know why we play them, I don't care, Like with all due respect, no offense. Isn't that what you say when you're about to insult somebody with all due respect, with all due respect, no offense, you're a loser? Like what are you talking about? Like that's a I mean again, some people clearly don't have that feeling, and that's just you know, that's how they're wired. But those that are like lunatics about it and then actually do obsess over it but have a really bad ability of hiding that they are paying attention, Like those are the people that don't understand, Like we can rivel about anything, we've done it around here, but why we choose to live why some choose to live in a world of delusion that you don't care about the other team and that it's just rent free over there, Like what are you talking about? And if we didn't have enough fans on both sides that are constantly consuming what's going on with the other team and praying on their downfall. Then we wouldn't have one of the most passionate rivalries in sports. And let's be honest, they pop shape pain bottles to start the tournament because we lost, like even that, even like the even even the fans that I do believe are genuine because I think, honestly, this was probably with everything that played out, how everything played out, this might have been the hardest Louisville team for Kentucky to hate. You don't have to like them, right, you have to cheer for him. You're not going to and if you did, I would tell you to stop because it's not allowed. It's not it's not you know, it's not. It's not it's not what we should do. So you know, I'm not saying anybody like liked him, but there they were hard groups to dislike because they're you know, just how they carried themselves. And you know, Pat Kelsey's a hard guy to dislike. I mean, you guys may think differently now because maybe now you have a technical foul to like use uh to you know, claim that he's you know this or that, but I mean, it was understandable. But despite all that, even those that were genuinely saying that they did in fact have a soft spot for this Louisville group, they still like, we're celebrating and got a joy in today's loss. And I'm not saying every fan, but like, if you know, you know, like some people may be listening and feel like, I'm gonna change the station. He's talking about me. He may be right, I may be obsessed with the rival. Don't change the station. Don't panic. It's okay. That's how it's supposed to be now, you know, being an awful human being to somebody because of the other side of it. That's different. But it's normal. And the next I mean, the best feeling I'm gonna have the rest of this tournament is not winning any bet. I may hit big, kind of hit big last night. Maybe I'm insecure enough with the loss to Lord. I'm talking about winning bets because I'm so insecure about my team losing today. But I'm just saying, like, there's no feeling that's gonna give me the joy that I'll have when Kentucky loses, if they lose whenever that may be I mean not winning the national championship, right, I mean, surely that wouldn't hap, right, were we also like were we also kind of lucky when it comes to the last few years because Louisville was awful the last couple of seasons, right, eight wins, four wins, and then the year before that when it fell apart with mac they were also terrible, but just not even a level of terrible as they were the next two seasons. But in those years, Kentucky lost to the two seedy, to to Saint Saint Something St. Peter's, and then they also lost to Kansas State in a game that like was kind of a reminder you aren't what you were anymore. And then last year is a three seed they lost to Oakland. So with how insane we are about March, right or wrong, good or bad, it's just how it is.
Speaker 3: That's helped alleviate a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like this year, it's like a it's like a tax refund, is it not? So you go through a bull crap year of hating your job, hating your wage, but you know, you know, at least you know, maybe not anymore because the economy sucks. But like Uncle Sam may get you know that tax breaks, Like, all right, life isn't so bad. He's that a little song? Yeah, here does it make you feel good for a week? Yeah? And that's and that's what Now we'll say their losses in those instances didn't feel as good because we sucked, but it still felt good, right, you know what I'm saying, Like had we been good and they had those losses, I mean we're talking erotic, but the fact that we were so bad and then they were actually good, really good, and then had that happen.
Speaker 3: They were just at the center of public shame when we're talking about these exciting two days in the first half.
Speaker 2: So like, if they end up going to like the Elite eight in losing, that'll be a great season for Mark Pope to start it off. I really do believe that. But also like that won't hurt like that won't that won't be as big of a thing that you're like bothered by because you know, we weren't awful this year. Although you know it's go whoever, like go Troy, go Illinoiser's avior, go Tennessee. Who would be there? One?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Houston thinks? So I think so so Anyways, let's take a break, welcome back. Continue. Whatever you want to call this, I mean it is it is Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's, but you know, we've been a little bit different today, as you could expect. Best one of the best two days of the year in sports. However, what makes it awesome, ye know, what makes it awesome is how much you care and how special it is. And whenever it's over for you, it's it's pain. It's pain, all right, stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: One thing you guys can't do is accuse me of hiding what this this does to me? And I just with this song playing, what would you call this like nineties like grunge rock? Is that like I.
Speaker 3: Would call it like post grunge rock?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Start I blind?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah. So songs like that that aren't like I mean, they're they're they're kind of sad, but not right like they're just kind of like, I don't know how to describe it. I'm terrible when it comes to music.
Speaker 3: Stuff's uplifting sad songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that actually puts me in my feels more than a song that's quite literally like believed to be a tear jerker, if that makes sense. Sure, I mean, I guess more than anything, I guess it just seems a little bit more relatable.
Speaker 3: It's like a deep reflection type of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly well said, And uh, today's a sad day. But I can take satisfaction as a fan knowing that I got as a fan a really not only a fun year and a year that was way better than anything we've had in a long time. But I think I learned this year that guys, you know, you want to win, you want to be successful. If these guys were the same exactly all year but they didn't win, I think we wouldn't be a holes to them, but like we wouldn't have had the joy. Winning is ultimately what matters, and I would never try to act like that's not the case. But when you have a that is winning at a much higher rate than you've won in a long time, and you can sense that they do have an appreciation for where they are and really what they're doing for this fan base, I mean that that's I don't really know if because because now next year, if we're in the same position. I mean, I don't think people are going to be losing their minds, but that won't be the same level in any way as far as what you get from it, right because we're now backed And I'm not like ramping up pressure for Pat Kelsey. Hey, nice year, but you know now you got to do way better. I mean, we'd like for that to happen. But they went eighteen and two in the ACC, and if they go eighteen and two in the ACC next year, they could be a lot better. But I would say if they're eighteen and two in the ACC next year, it's just another sign that your league sucks. And that's something I don't You can't control it, but man, like, that's a that's a weird That's one of the first time feelings that I had this year. You're safely in the tournament at least we thought, and you're rolling through your league and you have no opportunity to build up your resume and lead play and only i'll oportunities to fall. And even if you win, if you didn't win by as much as you know, maybe you're expected to win. When it comes to the spread or the kin pomp projection. Then you fall like that's just that I hate that, Like that's not something I've ever dealt with as a LOISLL fan, when Louis of when Lowiell has ever been decent. We never have to worry about who we play in conference play being good enough to you know, mean something. I guess technically in Conference usay it was the case, but in that you know, in my lifetime as a fan early on, Denny played a loaded non conference schedule. Also, there were some really good teams at times in Conference USA, like Marquette and Cincinnati and even Memphis at times. So you know, this was just an unusual year when it comes to that. But I I I'm sad it's over. That's just what I what I want to you know, not that I haven't said it a billion times today, but for those of you that did not get a chance to uh to hear this earlier. This is Terrence Edwards after the game, and he was asked sort of about this team this season, and that is that's the downfall of this is that we only got it one year. Right, A lot of these guys, we're really taking advantage of an extra year of eligibility due to a pandemic that happens once, you know, global pandemic, which happens once every one hundred years. So it kind of was the perfect storm. But as corny as this is going to sound, I feel better about everything knowing that this is the way Terrence Edwards views his experience at Louisville, even though it came to an end today and I wish they were still playing like it confirms what I hoped would happen, meaning that when we got here and it was all over, that I would still be able to appreciate and and you know, value what this experience was with this team. And I think Terrence what he says about, you know, the whole group as far as how they came together and really handled the entire season like this just confirms that, you know, despite it coming to an end today, and clearly there's some criticism that's worthy because of what happened today and nobody's perfect, but I'll always love this group.
Speaker 4: I can say this season is remembered for all the games combined, from from the beginning, the adversity we faced early in the year with the losses and some of my key players go down and in the year, and and this team just rallied together and never had an excuse of anything. We went to practice, it was no excuse and it was the next man up mentality. I've never been a part of nothing like that. And and I'm walking away from this with a good attitude and the things that Coach p K brought to me in my life, and I think it's gonna help me be a better father and and moving forward, I know I'm fine going into this pro thing because all the adversity I faced this year and and my life just gonna make me better.
Speaker 2: So what what got me to think to play that again for our new audience in the five o'clock hour was somebody who texted in that said seeing the group around Rain Smith as well as Coach Kelsey on the floor with him, I mean, like it just like win or lose, Like this team was just a very easy group to kind of just really fall for as a fan and and and be able to kind of, you know, deal with some shortfalls here and there and clearly deal with some losses like we had today. And uh, it was tough to see Rain be helped off the floor. What really got me was he was telling his teammates that were helping him get off the floor to cover his face with a towel because he didn't want there to be He did not want the visual. And I had never really thought about it that way, but as as an emotional human being and a competitor, if I had the mind, if I if I thought of it, I would have done the same thing, because I don't want to be a March Madness meme gif visual overall for decades to come, because of what I felt in that moment, like in a way like it is, it is what it is like, you know, I'm sure it's not like a traumatic experience, but I bet when Rain was being helped up the floor, it all came crashing down. He knew he couldn't play again, he knew they weren't going to win, and it was probably an emotional thing. So he's probably visually, you know, meaning his face in a moment of you know, I wouldn't say tragedy, but just clearly like that's a heavy thing and it's gonna lead you to be emotional. And had he been the crying guy, right like, had he been just weeping and you know, clearly not being able to control his emotions. I think a lot of humans, because you know, it's the human instinct, they would have sympathy for him, but he doesn't want back to be like part of like, oh, you're the guy that they played for forty years on the March Madness n CAA tournament promo montages, because you cried like, you don't want that right, like, even if it would be a sympathetic thing, even if it did give you like some you know, some you know, five seconds of fame or whatever. And that kind of hit me because I knew that moment they probably weren't going to win, and to see those guys out there with him, it was it was tough, and I felt like yesterday I was convincing myself with what I saw that he was he's perfectly fine. But I think what it came down to is I think there was a a level of not like intent from him to you know, to uh, to like disguise his injury. But he really was. I mean he was he was bouncing around but not really doing anything full speed out to be fair, they didn't really do anything full speed at the open practice, but they did practice and have a real intense competitive practice apparently electioning and Catholic. Yesterday there wasn't open, of course to the public, and this morning I found out he didn't sounds like he didn't participate in that, and that that that, you know, we didn't know that for good reason. They're not going to tell people that, but that that kind of tells you that he gave it a go today. And it really came down to pain tolerance and the vulnerability of injuring it again. And that's not something that I believe you can just you know automatically, no, like it's just a risk, and he took the risk, and today he wasn't himself. And then I couldn't mean when he got hurt again, like I don't mean, it was probably to where he was. He was probably and this is what I hope, And it didn't seem too serious after the game, like he you know, he came back on the bench. But at times, when you have that kind of an injury, you can really put way too much strain on other parts of your lower body because you're just you become so used to try having to account for the ankle. But yeah, rain rain, Losing today made me rain kind of losing it today at the end. That was actually honestly, early on it didn't feel good. But the rain injury, even the Louisville in fact, I think did actually get it down to like thirteen or something at that time or right around there. But that kind of felt like the moment. But here is Terrence Edwards talking about Rain and him putting it all on the line for this team.
Speaker 3: Our hearts goes out to Rain.
Speaker 4: We already knew he wasn't one hundred percent, but what he did today is something I remember forever. He put his he sacrificed his body, put his body on the line tonight for us so we can come to try to come out with the wind. And you know how much we needed him. On his roommate in the hotel, I see how much he's grinding and treatment and trying to get one hundred percent. He never not once told me that he wasn't okay. I always asked him, like, you good, You sure you're good, And he just always responded to above the line and always told me even though I knew he was hurting. But yeah, I'm just so proud of him, and and he'll get back right for sure, And yeah, what he did for us today is something that will go a long way outside of basketball.
Speaker 3: Our hearts goes out.
Speaker 2: How can you not love this group?
Speaker 3: Man? I mean.
Speaker 2: Talk about different experiences. That's sadder than any sad music that I know. I mean, I I mean, I don't remember a team that was so damn near impossible to like be genuine because I just again, if you wanted to make the claim that hey it was it was kind of fool's goal, they really weren't that good whatever, Like if you believe that we'll never know for sure, you can believe that, I can disagree, and we can just live in our own worlds when it comes to that that that conversation, however, I mean, I don't know how anybody could argue that, Like we didn't get nearly every ounce that we could get out of everything this team had when it comes to the guys that were healthy and able to play, but we didn't really you know, the injuries were clearly an issue, but I kind of feel like, you know Pat Kelsey's overall way of going about it, it was infectious for the team clearly to where they never like they were never gonna play victim, never gonna use an excuse, and you need a leader like that to to to be consistent in all aspects of making that never like it would have been so easy, it would have actually been really natural to let it creep in that Man, we're kind of we're kind of snake bitten, like we just we can't catch a break. But they never did that. And I think that's way harder than people realize. And it is one of the many reasons why I still think old basketball is is is gonna be just fine. Now, well we get back to final fours in championships, who knows. I mean, that's not easy to do. And speaking of this tricky, tricky thing that is college basketball, you know, often the best team does win. Like I don't believe those who say, well, oh, the tournaments were random, No, not really. National champions aren't random. The most random national champion in my lifetime is easily that Yukon team. But you know what, they're also Yukon and they have more championships than any team in my lifetime. So yeah, there's random runs in the tournament, but like winning at all is not random. But overall, the sixty eight team field makes it to where when it gets competitive. With this many teams still alive, you can get beat and it is not a big surprise. And again, I believe that's one of the many things that makes college basketball special and different to where you do have like the you know, when you have like those who love but the most I would imagine have had the heartbreak of knowing we shouldn't have lost that game what happened and knowing that you know, we were the best team. We proved it, but when it mattered, we fell short like that. That's a pain that sucks. But then whenever you do go on that ride and you realize even if you were the best team and you were able to get like in twenty thirteen, Loiville was the best team in one and all, in twenty twelve, Kentucky was the best team in one and all, that's actually harder to do than people realize. It's weird because you're like, congratulations for being the team that won it where the committee claimed that you were the best team in the field. Again the tournament, you know, it makes it. It makes it to where the opportunity for you to slip up and not pull through is is there. I mean, think about this, if college basketball operated with the same level of like you know, like they if they had in college basketball is so different because the's there's three hundred and something Division one team, So that's what makes it. It's really there's not a comparison. And I'm just saying, like a lot of teams who beat good teams or teams that become Cinderella, and really any other level of sports, in any other any other sport, no matter the level, they wouldn't even be there to do it. But there's so many that get to dance. I do love the fact that we've got people calling in that like think that they would be able to get on the air today kind of gee, I mean, like on what planet would I do that? Anyways, we got to get to a quick break. I'm also distracted. Sorry Clemson has clawed back. They what Clemson was just down three with ten seconds left. They fouled McNeese State. McNeese State just made one free throw, so they still have a very very long shot of winning. But I must have missed a complete meltdown from McNeice because again it's now seven, it's now sixty nine to sixty five with ten seconds left. Wow, And I'm seeing let's see what happens in this play. Do they get the three? Now they missed it. It's over, I mean not technically, but it will be all right, quick break. We'll come back on the other side right here in Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So we've got two games currently underway, VCU BYU as BYU sixty four to fifty two is the lead, so VCU making it a little more competitive, but obviously BYU hit a run there that that I feel like this this VCU team offensively just doesn't They don't play in a way and they don't have the ability to really climb out of a big hole. They want to ugly it up, slow it down, and they did it early, and then of course BYU got hot, and that's how she wrote Gonzaga still kicking the crap out of Georgia at half forty eight twenty seven as the score. But it was early that game. I mean, was it twenty seven to three or thirty one to three twenty yeah, I mean it was absolute, I mean it was bad. So Gonzaga off to a good start the next game that'll tip will be Wafford in Tennessee six point fifty and then Arkansas Kansas at seven to ten, Yale in Texas, A and m at seven twenty five, Drake and Missouri shortly after that, and then the late night games Utahs State, UCLA and Omaha and Saint John's will play at nine to forty five. The last two games of the night will start right at ten, one at ten ten, one at ten o'clock, UC San Diego in Michigan at ten PM, and then at ten ten it'll be Texas Tech and Wilmington. So a lot a lot more basketball to consume here before it's all over meeting the NAA Tournament. And another thing that I will say, I guess I'm thankful for is that I have at least had the ability to enjoy the tournament without a team, and unfortunately I had to experience that in the last few years, and that's made it, you know, at least now I now can can get into it and enjoy it and not think about my team. And honestly, today, the way it played out, I don't really feel like I'm gonna have those moments where I'm like, man, if only we got this seed and played that team. I mean, certainly you could say, I mean, you could certainly make the case that having to play Creighton as a nine seed when you're an eight seed is not what I mean. And by the way, clearly it wasn't what anybody predicted other than mean, the committee just did it and nobody else would have saw it coming. So nonetheless, I just think knowing that this team really just ran out of gas and it was probably to be expected, and I think at times it might have been a little more visible than people realized. They were still winning, but they just I think they hit a wall. I mean, they were always thin. They got guys playing thirty five plus minutes, and you know today, I think that was somewhat of a factor because it was a lingering factor throughout.
Speaker 3: The end of the year.
Speaker 2: But postgame shows for and this really is I mean this is but it's not a postgame show, right, You usually don't spend a ton of time necessarily discussing what led to the result because it's over. You talk about the future. But with today, I mean, I just think Creighton was able to not step on their own you know, not get in their own way. They ended up not making mistakes and putting themselves in a spot to where they're vulnerable, and Louisville didn't take advantage of their vulnerabilities, and they were just better. I mean, that's what it comes down to. And they made some shots late that were really tough that you just don't see often. But before that, they were making shots at a rate that you don't often see. But they were also good looks. And Louisville just dug himself a hole. That nineteen to four run or nineteen to two run, whatever it was, that was something that Louisville had never experienced this year, and under any circumstance, really any team, it'd be hard to counter that. All Right, we're out of town. We're back at it tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety