Speaker 1: All right, we get to catch up with one of the busiest men around and he is for his first time here on the Morning Show, and we'll find out where his parts unknown are and where he's hanging out with us. One of the coolest coaches out there, who has had to deal with a lot of different things in a lot of different places, and now he gets to do Geo time on Apple TV. He is getting properly hydrated, he's got his guessing it's coffee, might be tea, I don't know. We're gonna catch up with Gio Savades and find out what in the wide world of sports is going on.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Morning Show, Geo.
Speaker 3: It is a pleasure to be in the show. Thank you for the invite.
Speaker 1: All right, so let me ask this is We've had Ozzie Alonzo on in the past, We've had Dax, we've had BWP, among others. What is it like for you to be on this side of the desk instead of having folks sticking microphones in your face and asking you questions that you've heard nineteen thousand times that you've got to come up with eighteen thousand different answers for.
Speaker 3: That's such a good question.
Speaker 4: Because I have the fortune I said, the fortune to be a little bit in every side as a coach, foreign director, as an analysts as I'm doing right now.
Speaker 3: So it's definitely each one is different, but.
Speaker 4: All of them have the same core values and the same idea of you know, speaking about the game. Now from this side, there's a lot more that I have to investigate because.
Speaker 3: We have to speak. So I have a higher respect for all of you.
Speaker 4: And definitely definitely something that has allowed me to grow in the more. When you coach, you're more focused about your team, your game, your season, You're you're deeper in that. But now as an analyst especially, you know what we do. I have to know about every game, every player, every situation.
Speaker 3: So you know, you guys are amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, it's great to have you on this side of the table because you know, when we have been asking quest Ustius, whether it was in Major League Soccer or in the North American Soccer League, when you would be making your tours, tremendous, profound respect for what you've been able to do as a coach. You mentioned all of the research. Who is on your speed dial? I asked this of coaches when it comes to when coaches have questions about what they're doing. Now, as a TV studio analyst, who is on your speed dial when you've got a question about being a TV studio analyst, would you call and go like, what am I doing here?
Speaker 3: That's great?
Speaker 4: First of all, you know, I see how well everybody that works around me, you know, in the research that they do.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: We're lucky because Apple TV provides different people that we can you know, just call them right away, email them and whatever question you have, you have it right there in seconds. So that's something definitely that wish I had as a coach. You know that if I wanted a goal scorer to score a goal right of way, that I can get that in seconds. But you know, we're fortunate enough to be able to have that information. And then if you want to go deeper, you know, I'm fortunate to have so many, so many friends in the game. So and if I have a specific question to ask that I can go directly to a coach, to a player, to a person in a club. Uh, and and just provide the information that you know that I'm looking for.
Speaker 1: I just have this vision of you with you. I don't know if you're an iPhone or an Android guy. But I just have this vision with you on the desk and you're saying it's okay, So who do I go on the roll of decks tesk live on the air, uh and getting those instant kinds of responses. Obviously, since we are based in Atlanta, we are a national show, but based in Atlanta. I do want to ask you about what you have seen or maybe haven't seen from Atlanta United this year and what your thoughts are as we are at this particular point of the season that the All Star break in Atlanta United is where they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: I think that I probably have seen this thing that everybody have seen.
Speaker 3: A team that.
Speaker 4: Has invested a lot this season, a team that when we were looking at what was going on in the club at the beginning of the season, we had high expectations for the team. I mean, personally I had them winning the Supporter Shield, I think because of the amount of players, the quality players that were coming in, and for the momentum that they had last year getting into the playoffs. So definitely definitely disappointed in what I've seen so far, because even though there was I think a good group of players.
Speaker 3: They've been very inconsistent.
Speaker 4: There's been moments in which you have seen, especially and more at home. Some have like the last half that they play I can't remember right now against who, I gotta look into it, but the first half that they played at home, it was a very good half, but everything changing the second half for them. And they've been this is consistent team, which I don't think for the quality.
Speaker 3: Of the players that they have.
Speaker 4: You know, we should be looking at and knowing about the organization Atlanta as a history.
Speaker 3: And if there's someone that can talk about a history, it's.
Speaker 4: Me because you know, I wish I had an MLS Cup in my side and on your side. You guys have always been, you know, a quality organization with a fan base that is amazing in a beautiful stadium, always you know, breaking through trying to make sure that things are always at a high level. So it's been I think a little disappointing to see the team being so inconsistent this.
Speaker 1: Year when you have a team that is minus fifteen in minute forty six to minute sixty, they've only scored three, they've given up eighteen when they come out of the locker room. How I mean it is one of the things that has completely and totally confounded and confused folks this year, where you go into the locker room, coach has conversations, players are getting locked in for the second half, and then you just have moment after a moment where goals are being scored. How do you how have you in the past had conversations to make sure that folks lock in in that first five ten to fifteen minutes in the second half so they can continue that momentum into the latter stages of the second half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it goes further back, more than just a conversation in halftime. I think it starts first with a team that needs to have chemistry. First of all, I need, you know, a team that sometimes can go on bad in good moments, but that the players around trust each other, are willing to play for each other. And then the coach the particular talking about my experience, you need to be able to connect with the players, and there has to be a relationship between the players and between the coach and players that when you have a speech at halftime or if you have to adjust something, there's a belief and there's a willingness to go into the second half and trust your teammate, trust your coach, and say this is how we're going to do it, this is how we're going to compete, and let's go and try to do in the second half. It might not work out, but there needs to be that before anything, before tactics, before you know, the group goes into the field. If there's no chemistry, I think it always becomes more difficult to be able to achieve what you're looking for.
Speaker 1: And it is not something I wouldn't think that chemistry among eleven individuals, if not twenty. It's not an instant thing. But is it One of the biggest challenges for a coach, especially now at the midpoint of a season when you're in a transfer window where you got outs and ins and everything is creating and building chemistry one of the biggest challenges for a coach.
Speaker 4: I think that's the biggest challenge that a coach has. When you're coaching. It's not the tactics, it's not the you know the staff, you know, knowing what you do and in the hours that you put in it is the most important things is the connection they believe the group desired to be able to say we're going to fight together and then you know, fight the way the coach is looking too for us to play, or how much freedom the coach gets to the players for them to be able to execute, everything is secondary after the chemistry, after the.
Speaker 3: Trust in the group.
Speaker 4: And I just and I have seen in some of the games in which some moments the team I don't want to say gives up, but goes through moments that they don't look the same as they look ten minutes before or and that's common, and that's common in soccer.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I had sometimes teams that were inconsistent as well that sometimes.
Speaker 3: First I was good, the second I wasn't good, But.
Speaker 4: There was always the connection that trusting each other and the desire to play for each other. Even that I think this is the most important work, the sacrifice from the players to say we will do this as long as we win. And I believe that I have seen I haven't seen constantly or a higher percentage Atlanta doing.
Speaker 2: That this season.
Speaker 1: Jio SAVARESI having our own version of Geo time here on sd h AM here on Friday and breaking everything down as only he can. Leagues Cup. Last night, we started, we got our Leagues Cup. After dark, we got our wish seven goals in one match with La Galaxy and Sholos, and then Seattle just decided to take Cruise Asoul and show them the door and close the door behind them and make a really loud noise. But seven on the board. Were you up late night watching all that stuff?
Speaker 3: I watch every game.
Speaker 4: I just love to you know, the game, and you know I do it for work now, but you know, it's just the passion and especially uh, you know, this is a great competition.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: League scope between the League I MX and and the MLS. You know, teams is getting better and better. I think this format is even better, and last night we got a little bit more MLS, you know, better results, especially the one that you mentioned. Seattle was amazing yesterday.
Speaker 3: They just came into this field and and and just took over.
Speaker 4: I mean they were dominant, They were very good, they were aggressive. Love it because they done it with a lot of academy players.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And and that's you know great because if you see KRUSTASUL, the investment of Chrystalsul in players and the investment in Seattle is probably four times the difference.
Speaker 3: But on the field.
Speaker 4: You swa Seattle that I mean, they were, you know, full of energy, and then scoring seven goals on forty five minutes in second half.
Speaker 3: You don't see that often. You don't see especially the seventh goal was a jewel.
Speaker 4: It was and people, you know, I heard people saying did he mean to do that?
Speaker 3: Yes? He did, they did because he pulls the.
Speaker 4: Body de la Vega turns around times to perfect connecting a good way executed perfectly. Does it happen a lot of times? No, I can tell you from you know, past history. It's not an easy thing. But sometimes things really come together. And that moment was a special moment for Seattle, for us to watch that goal, and especially for the la Vega.
Speaker 1: All right, So when was the last time you had a moment like that where you get this ball service to you perfectly and you sit there and you smash it right on the on the full volley.
Speaker 2: When was the last time you had a moment like that?
Speaker 4: I will say a couple of times my pickups game here, you know, when I go on Sunday morning, seven o'clock in the morning to play with my my friends eleven B eleven, I had a few moments that I said, Wow, I mean, you know what I thought maybe happened.
Speaker 3: I didn't think it would it would it would be so but uh.
Speaker 4: You know, when I was a player, it's one thing that's not always.
Speaker 3: But when it happens, you're capable of doing great things.
Speaker 4: And and at that moment was so greatness one of the best goals.
Speaker 3: Where we're going to.
Speaker 1: See so so is uh so does Egan drive you crazy doing doing Sunday morning pickup?
Speaker 2: What's what's it like out there Sunday morning pickup? We need.
Speaker 4: Kevin is you know, it's it's amazing the whole group. It's just it's a family. It's a family, uh, you know, and and in every family, everybody you know, is different. Everybody has their personality and uh but I think you know, we we have you know, everybody's having so much fun together.
Speaker 3: From the time that we arrived, from the moments that we work. Everybody can see how much they love. Even the new ones all Sie Docks.
Speaker 4: You know, Uh, Sasha's done it a little bit longer, but Alsie and Daks that are you know, newcomers, they just you know, they look like they jump into the roller skates going and you know, and they never stopped. They're doing so well. I'm very proud of them. Uh, and it's a pleasure to have, you know, this family working together.
Speaker 1: G Sevaresi on roller skates for Apple TV on the studio. All right, so a couple of we're in a transfer window right now, in the secondary transfer window, and we have seen.
Speaker 2: The big announcements.
Speaker 1: We'll go ahead and mention Messi and friends down in Fort Lauderdale where Rodrigo de Paul is now a part of it. Looks like you've got a haircut and he's ready to go.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: When it comes to all of the big names that are wanting to play with Leo Messi and every and the fans are sitting there and they're wondering how all of the financials work and everything. When you see all of these big names come to Major League Soccer and want to be a part of MLS two point five to three point zero, what does it mean for you for someone who has seen the league growth to where it is right now to see big games, big games still come back and want to be a part of this.
Speaker 4: You're talking to someone, as you mentioned, that knows the league from nineteen ninety six. Actually I went to the Combine in nineteen ninety five, so you can, you know, imagine I've seen the league from beginning to end and looking at this league now, the growth in so many ways is being is being amazing. It's been something to be proud of. And we want teams to be like Miami that they push the envelope. We want teams to be like Atlanta, that you push the envelope. You know, you have to make sure that you always want to be a lid. You want to be a club that is fighting for you know, for trophies, and they do it in a way that they bring, you know, always better players to compete, and they have to challenge you know, mls to make sure that we keep growing more and more and that we're not too you know, too slow in wanting to you know, increment a little by little. We have to push it, but we balance. That's why we have grown so much. Credit to the commissioner. I think Don has done a phenomenal job to be able to be smart in every step that he's done. But it's good as well from things to push the envelope, as I said before, like into Miami, bringing somebody like the ball. I think, uh, you know, it makes the team.
Speaker 3: Better because he's young. He could have been in Europe still, he could have gone to South America.
Speaker 4: He you know, decided to go to play with his friend and a messy just doesn't matter how old you are around him, he's going to push you.
Speaker 3: He's going to push you. He's the winner. He doesn't care.
Speaker 4: He's going to tell you right in your face if you don't do things the right way. But that's the competitive person that he isn't and we want to see that. We have, you know, the best player in the world in our league, and it's good that he keep on pushing, you know, every envelope around himself.
Speaker 2: All right, So are you in studio tonight?
Speaker 3: I will be yees all right?
Speaker 2: So are you in studio for the entire weekend? Sir?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: That will be all right. So what is the rest of your day?
Speaker 1: After you're finished talking with us, when do you have to report in for makeup?
Speaker 4: So we'll we'll get together around two thirty. You know, for me, no no much to you know anything in the face, so you know a little more changes so the makeup, you know, not much, and we'll get there.
Speaker 3: We got a meet, We get a meeting. We talk about.
Speaker 4: Exactly in details everything that we're going to cover. We have been preparing, you know, ready from these days to have all the information. If we need something, we have people there that will give it to us right away. And then it's uh, you know, let's go to play and h and to get to work.
Speaker 1: And it's always fantastic to see your work and have GEO time on the rather large fifty five inch screen off to my left. It there's also we're blessed to have you here on the morning show. You now have the garage door opener. You know where the key is under the mat. You can click on that anytime. Ten to eleven. Traditionally, the last hour of the week is when we just kind of turn it into chaos. Anybody who wants to come and visit, say their piece. Three minutes, drift in, drift out. I'm done, I'm going to good get my coffee. You now, sir, have Golden ticket status. You can come in at any time. It'll be great to see. If you ever bored, come on in and visit us anytime.
Speaker 4: I appreciate to be in the status now and definitely you know I will be available anytime that you feel that, you know we need to connect. So it was always a pleasure and and love your show.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna quote.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna quote to see Geos says anytime he wants to come in.
Speaker 2: I'm writing this down so direct quote.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: Go get your second cup. We'll see us soon and good luck this weekend in Geo time.
Speaker 3: Thank you is a pleasure. Take your