Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And now handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle KFI AM six forty Bill Handle.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: It is a Friday morning, January tenth, and usually we're really thrilled about Fridays. Actually, you know what, waking up this morning, even while in the midst of one of the most horrific incidentss that we have experienced here in southern California, wildfires that are almost beyond comprehension, we actually woke up to some pretty good news in terms of the containment factor. And now we're just trying to figure out what, how, maybe why these fires started. Is there anybody involved? And first let me say hello to one and all.
Speaker 2: Neil.
Speaker 1: Good morning, sleepy sleepy time.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is people've been up.
Speaker 2: That's right, you were up. You started early this morning, coming in three am.
Speaker 4: I actually this is one of three times in my thirty five plus year.
Speaker 1: Years in talk radio that I overslept.
Speaker 4: Oh, I turned off three alarms and do not recall it.
Speaker 3: Well, you've been up doing early early morning shifts for a couple of days, so yeah, you're doing more. You're doing a yeoman's job. Whatever the hell a yeoman is. Actually I know what a yeoman is, but that's besides the point.
Speaker 1: What is it.
Speaker 2: A yeoman is part of the Queen's guard.
Speaker 3: If you look at if you go over to go to the Tower of London, you will see the uniformed guards there and those are traditional guards.
Speaker 2: Those are yeomen.
Speaker 3: Go yo yo, they do, they go no over here and they now have turned into actually tour guides is what they are. You go in there and you get a tour and one of the yeomen give you the tour.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can look that up if you want. Amy. Good morning, Hi, how are you hi? I notice you don't have a Disney shirt on.
Speaker 5: I got my California strong shirt on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's what was that small print? California the home of Disneyland, right.
Speaker 5: Is not just California today, okay, California the home of the Dodgers in Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and good morning, good morning Bill. Putting everybody together, we have a show today.
Speaker 3: We have Nathan Hawkman coming on the show this morning at seven o'clock. The DA of Orange of Valet County, Todd is the DA of Orange County. But Nathan Hawkman was in on the press conference yesterday, and you rarely see a DA when you're dealing with a natural disaster. There was a reason he won and it was really important. And he's going to be our guest coming up at seven o'clock, thank god.
Speaker 1: And poor And didn't you get alerts this morning? Anne as well? And oh yeah, oh you've been NonStop this week. Oh yeah, no, it's been interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only person out there that has sort of not had to work extra overtimes meet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, we know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought I pulled them out together. You guys are up all that long, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm watching some stuff on Netflix, you know, like Squid Game two.
Speaker 1: All right, you finish Wicked?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I still haven't finished wickeed.
Speaker 1: Have you finished Wicked?
Speaker 2: Because first of all, it's a nine hour movie.
Speaker 3: Second of all, you can The only reason I am finishing it because I paid thirty dollars for it because we have a guest here who is a Wicked fanatic. We did it for her and big mistake, biggest mistake of my life.
Speaker 2: So I have to finish watching it. Musicals, I love musicals. I don't think it's that good. I mean the musical musical part of Wicked I thought was great.
Speaker 3: All right, Kono, good morning. All right, there we go. Everybody is there, So let's get right to it. Man.
Speaker 2: We've got news, of.
Speaker 3: Course we do, and most of it relating to the fire this morning, but there's some other stuff happening too, big stuff.
Speaker 2: So let's do.
Speaker 3: It's time for handle on the news, Amy King, Neil and me, and we start with the news of the death toll in the wildfires, now officially to ten. But as Anna and I were talking about it, it is going to climb like crazy because the cadaver dogs are going to be out there in force, and.
Speaker 2: People are going to be reporting.
Speaker 3: My uncle was still in the house, he didn't evacuate, and I'm willing to bet that other than those people that had some real physical issu shoes and couldn't get out.
Speaker 2: The majority are going to be people.
Speaker 3: Who didn't get out and could have because a lot of people tend to ignore mandatory of action orders and it costs, obviously a costs not only in their lives but just screwing everything up. So we're going to see now the shot I've been watching this morning KTLA woke up to that and last night going to be by the way, I wasn't watching Wicked last night, I.
Speaker 2: Was glued to the TV.
Speaker 3: There's that one shot where you see, as far as the eye can see, just these buildings on foundations, right, and that's all. You see, foundations with a little bit of debris on them and occasionally a chimney. It reminds me of if you've ever seen Gone with the Wind or Raiders of Loss Art Gone with the Wind, where they do one of the last scenes, a civil war scene where the camera is concentrating on a civil war victim and someone is tending to him, and the camera pulls back and it goes back and then you see as far as the eye can see people on the ground that have been mahimed or killed. And in the Raiders of Lost Art, the last scene where the box that crate which theoretically has the covenant, so you see the worker moving down and then the camera pulls back and you see hundreds of thousands of these boxes on shelves. That's what that looked like. It looked like a movie that did that, and every one of those were a home and they're saying how many nine thousand home structures? Amy, we don't know yet the delineation between homes and structures, We.
Speaker 5: Do not, but it's over fifty three hundred in the Palisades fire alone, and they're saying between four and five thousand in the fire in the Altadena.
Speaker 2: It's completely insane. It is now. Losing a business is horrific. I mean, there is to not.
Speaker 3: Be able to go to work even if you own a business, all right, that is one issue that is horrible.
Speaker 2: Losing your home is on a whole different level.
Speaker 3: Because everything you own, your things that you bought, let's say, during a honeymoon, and this is just before you got divorced. Things that you had as a child, memorabilia you kept, i mean all gone. And then the other thing is And then we're going to take a break and then go to news. This morning, at the end of wake up Call, Amy was talking to Karen Travers, reported for ABC, and we now know that the Feds are going to cover one hundred percent of firefighting salaries. For example, extraordinary expenses, the cost of the planes flying overhead, debris removal, temporary shelter, all the expenses related to this. For six months, not rebuilding. There will be other federal programs where money can be borrowed at either zero or incredibly low rates interest rates, and that's what happened during the earthquake in nineteen ninety four. That program came into being. So this is one of those things for those people that hate the government being involved in our lives.
Speaker 2: This is what government is for. This is why we pay our taxes.
Speaker 3: And this is government not only at its best, but is at its necessary. It's not foreign policy, it's not Ukraine, it's not Israel as important that those must be.
Speaker 2: This is home.
Speaker 3: This is us helping family and helping neighbors welcome.
Speaker 4: I imagine if they put the money from a homeless issue and the money from that crap high speed train to bury our power lines, how we wouldn't have to do all That may mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, priorities, but this things like this bring the priority level. They go right to the top. All right, guys, we.
Speaker 5: Got updated numbers. We're actually expecting to get more updated numbers. They're doing another news conference today that's happening at eight. But here's what we've got right now. The fire and Pacific Palisades just under twenty thousand acres burned, but on a little tiny bit of a bright side, they're saying six percent surrounded, which means they're starting to get lines around the fire. The fire burning in the Altadena area thirteen thousand, six hundred and ninety acres, it is zero percent surrounded. The fire that broke out yesterday afternoon in West Hills, Calabasas area one thousand acres burned very quickly, thirty five percent surrounded. That was another case of those water dropping helicopters really coming to the rescue and stopping them from getting into neighborhoods. The Hurst Fire in Silmar seven hundred and seventy one acres, it's thirty seven percent surround. And then there's a small fire burning in Tahunga it's called the Creek Fire three acres. It's flared up a bit, so that's why they put it on their fire map. It's zero percent surrounded.
Speaker 2: Now, when we talk.
Speaker 3: About the percent surrounded, usually that means okay, the fire has been contained. It's not going to go beyond that, and now they're working their way inwards to put out the fire. With these winds, containment means almost nothing when you think about it, because the embers start flying, and a fire can be zero one hundred percent contained, which means it is surrounded or fire breaks have been have surrounded the entire fire, and an ember flies over the fire break or flies over the road and it just ignites.
Speaker 2: Three miles away.
Speaker 3: Which was the horrific part of the Palisades fire what we saw in addition to just this thing going through the Palisades like well, wildfire. It's pretty depressing. But now the good news, if there is any good news, the winds die down.
Speaker 2: If the winds die down, they can deal with it.
Speaker 1: If we weren't dealing with enough, the.
Speaker 4: Likelihood of some wingnut trying to add more problems. A suspect in custody now after he allegedly tried to start a fire in the San Fernando Valley community of Woodland Hills.
Speaker 1: This is a guy that was on.
Speaker 4: Galindo Street while riding a motorbike of some kind and carrying a lit torch. Three residents tackle demand held him until the LAPD officers arrived. And this is a developing story that's still going on. But that was as a last night.
Speaker 3: They should have lit his hair on fire and pretended that he was a tiki torch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's well, we're gonna We're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have Nathan Hawkman on the Lada and talk about what's going on on the crime side of this fire. And it's not fun stuff and it's more serious than even the crime itself. And I'll explain that and ask Nathan Hawkman about that.
Speaker 5: We'll find out if Nathan Hopman has something to say about this guy too, who may need to be scooped up. Somebody was flying a drone in restricted airspace yesterday and it crashed into one of the Super Scoopers and damaged one of its wings, so that grounded that one. It's sitting there instead of scooping up fifteen hundred gallons at a time out of the ocean and dumping it on the fires.
Speaker 1: It's grounded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great, so there's only two of them out there. The whole story of the Super Scoopers is really interesting. They've been twenty years they've been on lease to La County and during fire season they come down from Quebec. It's Canadian company, and there was a should do it buy them?
Speaker 2: Do we not?
Speaker 3: But the program is leasing them. They come down those yellow airplanes that have those really interesting wings, and literally they can they call super Scoopers because they fly at at water level and scoop up water and then go and dump it and it's far not only quicker, but more effective than any other aircraft in terms of water drops. Helicopters have to go back to their landing area. The baskets have to be filled, the same thing with those giant planes.
Speaker 2: They both fixed wing and.
Speaker 3: The jets, you know, the propeller planes as well as the jets that they have. They have to land, they have to be refilled. Super Scoopers boom in and out, in and out, and to take half of those off of the off of the attack plan.
Speaker 2: Is horrible. This whoever it.
Speaker 3: Was, I don't know if they're going to catch them. That should be twenty five to life right there for doing that.
Speaker 1: Do you know what it is? It is if you get caught flying a drone?
Speaker 4: I believe it's like up to twelve months in jail and up to seventy five thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine that compared to the damage that it's done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or the opportunity costs.
Speaker 3: Oh, here's a lie, here's a little fact about the super scooper. You think of it going down and then a scoop comes down, some kind of a ramp comes down, and then the water is put into the water scooped up. Actually it's a four inch pipe that faces backwards, and that's what scoops up the water.
Speaker 1: Really, And let's do it in lakes or can it be both?
Speaker 3: But for use lakes or better, because if you've got the ocean out there and the ocean.
Speaker 2: In their waves, it can't do it. So it needs a fairly flat body of water. And usually it's lakes or reservoirs.
Speaker 5: Have you seen what the helicopters what they do? They go dip into the reservose because there was a fire a couple of years ago on your silver.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't seen that.
Speaker 5: And I was watching it and they dropped down a tube and they suck the water up out of it. It's fascinating to watch.
Speaker 4: Already, we need a OOPS button for La County because they keep making mistakes. Yesterday it was the emergency alert issuing an evacuation warning for all of Los Angeles County sent out by accident.
Speaker 1: I received it. I'm sure a lot of you did.
Speaker 4: As well, and then it came out what twenty eight thirty minutes afterwards that it was like due to a technical error. So maybe that was the same technical error that sent it out again this morning at four am, or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it had to be.
Speaker 3: That's I didn't get it other people in the room that I was at last night, I was having dinner with some folks and it was now half of us got it and the other half didn't, and I was one of those that didn't get it. Also, have you seen on social media which is going like wildfire? I keep on using that phrase that the fault of these fires, Gavin Newsom is at fault, And now I'm waiting for actual video footage of him igniting fire with a barbecue lighter.
Speaker 4: He doesn't need to have done that to have some hands in the problem. They are still you know, whether they took out foliage and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: He's a problem.
Speaker 3: Oo.
Speaker 5: Okay, So there's this guy. He has a lot of money. He lived or lives in Pacific Palisades, depending on whether his house survived. But he has deleted his X account now because he got a lot of backlash for going on to X and basically pleading for private firefighters to come and save his house. His name is Keith Wasserman, and he said, does anyone have access to private firefighters to protect our homes in Pacific Palisades? Need to act fast? Here all neighbors houses burning will pay any amount thank you.
Speaker 3: To see is the video of him going up to firefighters are burning house to say, hey.
Speaker 2: I want to make some money. No, he didn't do that. Now, Oh, I get it.
Speaker 1: It's tacky and all of that, but they're desperate. Their homes are about to burn down and they can't do what about it?
Speaker 2: And what do he started doing? If you're a private firefighter start negotiating? That's I got to tell you. There's a whole world to that.
Speaker 1: That is a visual U the price is going up.
Speaker 4: But I mean what this happened to the Kardashians I think too when there was a fire in their neighborhood. They were hiring private firefighters or something and people complaint.
Speaker 1: I get it, but.
Speaker 3: Who are private By the way, who are private firefighters?
Speaker 2: Is there a national association.
Speaker 4: Of private firefighters? And where do they get the equipment? Arm retired? And they probably this is a business, it's right.
Speaker 2: And then so where do they get the water?
Speaker 3: They go up to city fire hydrants and it's a business.
Speaker 2: Oh that would work.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe they bring their own trucks of water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we still have to go, right, your own trucks are water comes out like pumps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have the old you know, fire brigade handing park.
Speaker 2: I don't yeah, with their own buckets out with.
Speaker 1: Only put it out with Fiji. I don't want the bad.
Speaker 4: Stuff, all right, Trump to be sentenced today, What a weird time we are living in. President elect Donald Trump is scheduled to be sentenced this morning on felony charges. This is his history making for better or for worse.
Speaker 1: Right. Uh.
Speaker 4: He tried desperately with his legal team to make sure this wouldn't happen before inauguration ten days from now. So the scenting is scheduled for nine thirty eight m Eastern time, So just right about now.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a little confused about his position, and I'll tell you why. First of all, he's gonna get that absolutely no no jail time, but it's an unconditional discharge.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have to talk to anybody.
Speaker 3: There'll be no probation officer, there's no phone calls to make here's what I'm doing, Here's where I am.
Speaker 2: It'll simply be a conviction on the record.
Speaker 3: Why he's fighting it so hard when part of it he's wearing it as a badge of honor. This shows you what the Department of Justice has done? Or this I think is yeah, Department of Justice or is this a.
Speaker 2: State court.
Speaker 3: New York criminal courts, a state court and the weaponization of the system against me? This is Trump talking, And this proves it. I would wear it as badge of honor. And he's gone back and fourth on that.
Speaker 1: Well, he may want the attention of it too.
Speaker 4: No, no, but I think it proves it in the news and telling his base that hey, look I'm still being persecuted.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly the point.
Speaker 1: And prosecuted, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's exactly the point.
Speaker 3: And he's going to be And when the sentencing happens, and it will today, he'll of course appeal it, which is kind of fun because appealing the sentence is not the same as saying you're not guilty, because that's not going to happen. He'll be the first president in history to go into the presidency.
Speaker 2: As a convicted felon.
Speaker 3: This is just one more notch with the argument that this is probably going to be He is going to be the most unique president we have had.
Speaker 2: Or ever will have in the history of this country.
Speaker 4: The nice thing is the next convicted felon that goes into the presidency.
Speaker 1: No, but he's going to really talk about it.
Speaker 5: But done, it's not even going to be it's going to be news.
Speaker 4: It's not unprecedented or anything. It's just like, oh yeah, just.
Speaker 3: Another Yeah, here's another huge story in front of the Supreme Court.
Speaker 5: And it has to do with President elect Trump. A federal appeals court has ruled that special counsel Jacksmith's report on Trump's attempts to overturn the election and the January twenty twenty January sixth, twenty twenty one investigation can be made public. Actually it's not about hold on, it's not about the overturning the election.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I conflated the two stories with the next story. Oh okay, let me TikTok story.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, anyway, the court said, yep, you can release.
Speaker 2: This right, But but that's not the appeals court.
Speaker 5: Yes, because now a lower judge has also said, we've got a three day.
Speaker 1: Stay.
Speaker 5: That gives Trump time to appeal, which.
Speaker 2: And let's go.
Speaker 3: And once he appeals at AA and it will go on appeal by the time he hits office next week or a week after that. He just simply orders it not to be released because it'll be a Department of Justice report and he controls the Department of Justice.
Speaker 4: Why does it matter Because isn't the world going to explode when he takes office?
Speaker 2: I thought, no, No, all will happen.
Speaker 3: No, a couple of things will happen. Every illegally be deported that day. And as I said many times, please I want the bus franchise because I can't even imagine how many buses are going.
Speaker 2: To have to be leased.
Speaker 3: Greenland will become ours. We're going to pay for it, although I don't know if we're financing it or not. And what the interest rate would be to buy Greenland. The Panama Canal comes back to us. You've been violation of the treaties we signed.
Speaker 4: You and I are going fishing in that Gulf of America.
Speaker 3: Yeah great, And there's that. The Ukraine War is over that day. And Israel, I'll tell you, Israel really loves Donald Trump a lot because well, he is about as pro Israel as any president will ever see.
Speaker 2: So he's got he actually.
Speaker 3: Has a lot of popularity amongst a lot of people, and that is one of the issues. All Right, We're going to take a break, come back with our very last segment of Handle on the Law before we move on. And I'm sorry Handle on the News. I'm sorry, I'm already thinking about tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's do I mix that up every single week.
Speaker 3: On Friday every week. I actually can go through a week without mixing up those two.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know how long have you been doing? It's still new.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't quite gotten to it yet. All right, So.
Speaker 4: TikTok could shut down unless the Supreme Court blocks or delays the US BAND. So this is an important case for people that you know, love social media and this social media age. You've got free speech attached to this national security all this stuff. So the Supreme Court today going to be an argument over the fate of TikTok and we shall see how it goes down. It could be shut down. Essentially, it will be shut down if the Court right down. Yeah, under law, right now, law is past shutting this puppy down. Congress said it's done. Now, there's two sides to this coin, and both have a good argument.
Speaker 3: Side number one First Amendment right, do we have access half of America uses TikTok okay side to national security? It's owned by the Chinese and they can get any information on anybody with TikTok okay national security that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Now, has it happened yet? It has not.
Speaker 3: There's no evidence of the Chinese government actually using going into any of the information that TikTok has. The fun part is the argument of First Amendment because we have such First Amendment rights with American companies in China, don't we.
Speaker 4: Can't we if half if the half of America is using tik talk, they're probably the half we don't need. Can't we send them to China and then they can still use TikTok and we clean things up here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, except there's no First Amendment rights in China.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: That's why it would have to be pro Chinese. Every one of.
Speaker 3: Them just saying, but we'll see what happens when the court does. If I had to guess, if I had to guess, I think the court is going to go with the shutdown of TikTok or not.
Speaker 1: Wow okay case.
Speaker 5: RFK isn't aok. With thousands of docs, more than fifteen thousand doctors have signed a letter urging Senators to vote against confirming Robert F. Kennedy Junior as Secretary of Health and Human Services. The letter reads, the health and well being of three hundred thirty six million Americans depends on leadership at HHS that prioritizes science, evidence based medicine, and strengthening the integrity of our public health system. The letter goes on to say RFK Junior not only is unqualified to lead this essential agency, he is actively dangerous.
Speaker 2: And the proof in the putting is what happened in Samoa.
Speaker 3: He had advocated against the measles vaccine, saying it was dangerous, and the medical authorities and the government of Samoa bought that, and there was a spread of measles and people died because of measles in Samoa, And so, you.
Speaker 4: Know what'd you kind of surprised that it's only fifteen thousand. There's over a million doctors in the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you can only how many pages do you have if you have more than fifteen thousand signatures that's a lot of pages.
Speaker 4: You got over two hundred and fifty thousand for a recall, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but recalled whom.
Speaker 1: When we tried to recall?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you do get to. But that's the general public, that's not doctors. That's all of.
Speaker 3: Us asking for a recall. So per capita, probably more doctors than not. I'd like to see how I'd like to see how many doctors sign a petition advocating him being put in his cabinet Secretary Health of Health and Human Services.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd be lying if I said that his views on vaccination didn't scare me just a little bit.
Speaker 1: But we shall see, all right.
Speaker 4: Democrats joined with the Republicans to take a major step towards Senate passage of the gop Led immigration bill. So this has been going back and forth a little bit. This would this gop Led bill would require the detention of undocumented migrants charged with certain crimes, a key step that puts a legislation on the verge of passage. And this important this is these are bad people. If you look at it as immigrants first, you've got a problem. These are criminals, well, they are alleged to be criminals.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're not bad people.
Speaker 3: They're simply charged with the crime and sore convicted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, convicted. That's another story.
Speaker 3: But they're talking about requiring the detention of people charged illegal immigrants. So if that he becomes law, or if the policy stays the same of illegal immigrants not being detained when they're charged with theft or burglary, now you can be detained if you're charged with theft for burglary. So the takeaway here is do it as an illegal immigrant. Simply say you're illegal and they're not going.
Speaker 2: To keep you. Okay, that's maybe maybe not all Right, We're done, guys. That's it. This is KFI A M six forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six plam, nine am, and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.