Speaker 1: You're back with another episode, and I am very excited, very honored to have this beautiful, talented young lady on my couch here tonight on Private Talk. Welcome Paloma Ford. What's up you boy? Hello? Lex? Hello, how are you welcome? Thank you so much for.
Speaker 2: Being here, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: How are you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: I am I'm vibing. I'm good vibing.
Speaker 1: I'd like to hear that so here at Private Talk podcast. It's a new podcast. It's a way for me to talk to people to make you feel comfortable. Feel this is like the private place that you can talk to Phil like we're homies. But we're not homies now. But at the end of this concession, we're gonna be with guys for sure. So thank you so much for being here. Let my Private Talk listeners out there, Let them know who you are, let them know your background, let them know what you're all about, Miss Paloma for what's up guys?
Speaker 2: This is Paloma. I am a musician from Long Beach, California. Yeah, so you know, I'm a native here and getting ready to drop some new music that's exciting.
Speaker 1: Yes, So when are you gonna drop it? What is it? Is it by yourself solo? Are you featuring somebody? Tell us what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's my second project. We are going to drop the first single December first, so be looking for Chasing Waterfalls.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, you heard it here so long. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you everybody, thank you? All right, thank you guys. Yeah, so Private Talk podcast you heard that first. You're just going to be releasing. So how does that feel? This is your second project? Is it more exciting than the first? Like? Tell us how you how are you feeling right now because it isn't released yet. Are you in those nerves or you like passionate yourself.
Speaker 2: All the way in those nerves. It's been going on three years since my first project. I've featured on other things since then, but this will be, yeah, my first release in quite some time. So I'm very very nervous, and compared to the first one, I feel like I'm more nervous because, you know, you set the bar and then people are like, wait, they want more, and you know, and then time goes by so they're like okay, what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I think that you know, it's one of those things that you have to be your your own fan. And I feel like, you know, we're all artists in our own ways, and you've worked so hard on all these things, and I know it's gonna be great, it's gonna be a hit, and I'm excited for you to. It's like a second birth of a baby. Like it's like it's it's you put so much work and passion into you like your craft, and it's like it's you don't know where it's gonna go, right, but the only way it's gonna go is up for sure. So with that being said, like where did you get your start from as far as music goes.
Speaker 2: The first time I ever did something on a on a major level was I was doing backgrounds for Macy Gray. So that was kind of my introduction to the industry. I was like eighteen years old. Nineteen Was that intimidating?
Speaker 1: Were you just like all in because it's a gamble with you know, the art, the industry. You know, you don't know you.
Speaker 2: Just like I was just so naive to the industry, So I was just kind of like happy to be there at that time. You know, she was working with everybody from like justin Timberlake to where I am. So they were in the studio every night with us, and like I said, yeah, I was just happy to be there. I had no idea you know what steps I would take?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So you doing all this stuff, you're you're an independent artist, You're not with the label. Like, how does that feel? And what is the differences? Do you like being independent? Do you want to be signed to a label? Like? What is the feelings? And you know things that you go through, all the nervous stuff is it? What? How do you feel about all those things?
Speaker 2: I love being independent. I kind of fell into it on accident, but once I saw, you know, just how much I like having control because I know everything that I want to put out, you know, content wise, visually, sonically. So like I said, my first project, I kind of fell into it.
Speaker 1: It was it was just.
Speaker 2: Me trying something out and I really really like it. And now I'm unofficially hopefully going to be signing to myself for my new project and citing partnering up. Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's a big thing. I don't I love women that you know, we're entrepreneurs. This is a you know, time wards female empowerment and doing those things that's a big step for you know, signing with nobody to signing to yourself. Like, tell us a little bit more about that, Like, what are the steps with that's going on.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been really really patient with this project. I started recording two years ago. I mean really like after kind of the end of me putting my first project out, you know, I was I was constantly recording, So it's been a long time coming and just me being a business woman and you know, always trying to learn. I kind of like saw what things I lacked, you know in the first project and why you know, songs only reached a certain limit, and you know, what things I would need to do to really you know, step it up for the next time. And and part of that was just like having a really strong team. And so I kind of just promised myself like I know, the music that I make deserves to be supported in a certain way. And so I was very very patient and just waited until I found, you know, the people to kind of put the puzzle together together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's like, you know, that's a hard thing to find people that were cohesively you all work together, your idea comes across in the way that you wanted to because being an artist, you know, people don't understand what that means. They know what it seems like from the outside looking in, but you know, the hard work that we put on whatever our industry. You know, mine included, yours included the things. It's like, you know, it's a creative and it's it comes from a place of where you may not know where that is blossoming too, but it's so much like who you become as a person and where that it transpires. Like with you, you know, if music, it's like you said, you've strategically made your decision and that's really big to not just sign a deal with the label or not do this whatever and continue to be independent because a lot of people just you know, come into the quick money or the quick things because.
Speaker 2: The independent route is very difficult, like it's but the hard.
Speaker 1: Work pays off, you know what I mean. And myself included. I'm an entrepreneur and you know, I'm an independent contractor and I've always had my own say in my own business. And so there's steps along those ways that you feel like, man, is this the right idea whatever? And sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. But the only way you're gonna know is if you try it, and you know, so congratulations to you making those steps and lik, you know, assign yourself. That sounds weird to some people, but that's such a big honor to like do those and like, I you know, that's that's amazing dream come true. That's really awesome. Yes, So what other projects do you have going on besides you know, your your new single coming out you know in a month or so.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am working on an independent film. It's called g Code. It's an LA based film written by Meg the Og. Shout out to Meg. She's also somebody that interviewed me in some podcasts in the past and we kind of stayed in touch and she she wrote the script and reached out to me and I was like, let's do it.
Speaker 1: So was that the first film you've ever done before?
Speaker 2: I've done very very small parts and a few other independent films, so this one is like a lead role. And we've kind of been like working on it and I've been helping her produce it as well. So that's pretty exciting. That's something that I'm working on.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. Do you see yourself doing more of that? Kind of stuff like acting stuff and going more with that routely or behind the scenes or in front of the camera.
Speaker 2: How do you know, I definitely want to get more heavily into acting in the upcoming.
Speaker 1: Year. Being from you know, LA, is that something that you just saw and you always wanted to be that or did it just kind of come and, like you said, fell into your lap and you kind of just like, hey, now I want to do this.
Speaker 2: No, I always wanted to.
Speaker 1: You always wanted to. What was like the first thing you saw that you were like you knew, You're like, no, I can do this, and I want to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean just from an early age, I was watching Michael Jackson like obsessively, and I never I thought that it was kind of normal because it was like me and my cousins and we would watch Michael all the time. Moon you watch her udo everything, everything, And like I said, I always thought that was normal until I have a son and he is like so completely uninterested in that, and so I was like, Okay, well this, you know, it makes sense now.
Speaker 1: Your passions of it. It shows true colors of what you really want to Yeah, and you just don't identify with it. Until later on exactly. So you say, Michael, what other influences have you had throughout your career to make you be who exactly who you are today?
Speaker 2: Shaw Day, for sure, she's probably like Michael was first. Shaw Day was next because I was somebody that my mom always played in our house. And so singing Michael and Janet songs, if you listen to you know, the way they sing Shade has like a very similar tone to Janet more so. But uh yeah, so Sha Da would be next. And then and then as I got into like junior high, Tupac was like a super huge influence too.
Speaker 1: What would you say to this day that's been your biggest, you know, piece of work that you're proud of that you've like put out there. You said, you you know, obviously we were. You know the number two is going to be there too, but what from you know, the first and maybe if it's been with your first body work or people that you've worked with that you just stand out that you know, it's your number one.
Speaker 2: Definitely, my song called what it's probably probably my biggest song. And I will say I have two songs that I have wet and then I have the song called Jada. But what was like start and finished by me with my producer, and it kind of took a life of its own, not only in uh streaming and music world, but in dance.
Speaker 1: And I never thought that it would go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never saw that happening when I made it because it's so slow, So yeah, I would definitely say what all right?
Speaker 1: So with that being said, like how did that make you feel? And it finally like when that and it's like again it takes you by storm. You never know what project because every project to us are like really intimate to us and you never know which one and you know, we like others here or there. But when that happened and like it started going by storm and it was dancing and this, like how did that make you feel? Like do you feel because especially being from La, yeah, you know it's very kind of normal. You probably have a lot of friends and this or whatever, Like how did that make you feel inside? And like finally be like, man, that's that's mine. We're listening to my ship.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be honest with you. Because of the pressure that I put on myself, I feel like with my first project, I never really celebrated myself or time to like stop and like realize, you know, what I had accomplished on my own. So I can't really answer that for real, but that's something that I'm definitely more aware of for this project. And I've you know, I've done this project like really on my own, and I have a really heavy hand in writing, even more so than my first project. So I'm definitely going to like try to take those moments.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Well, I'm looking forward to listening to it. I'm sure my listener's out there at their private talk podcasts are listening to it as well. I hope you guys are subscribing, liking. I hope you guys are enjoying our conversation. I appreciate you for being here and your honesty and just letting my listeners know a little bit of more about you. So thank you, Palama, Thank you. I hope you're feeling so comfortable with me. You know again, we're just we're meeting each other. But I feel like it's it's one of those things, is we're in such an industry now where social media and all these things where there's so many similarities but so many polar opposites of each other, what you're a fan base with all these things are going on, So it's like you hear names, but you haven't like met somebody, right the fact that like, I love this opportunity to sit here and like have you on my couch and just getting to know who you really are and like getting your side of you know who you are? Right, So let everybody out there at private talk know where we can follow you, where we can hear your single coming out? Where could they go to your people website? Let us know all about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so all of my social handles is my name Paloma Ford. You can find all my music on iTunes and anywhere you can find music. It's available on all platforms. And yeah, that's about it. Everything is at Paloma Ford.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, you heard her. You better go over there and follow her and listen to her shit. Because I have a feeling this is going to be a hot one. Number two is like you know, my lucky number is too, So I you know, I'm a big about energy. I'm a big about like believing in all those like energy and things like that. So I have a feeling this is going to be a big one. So I can't wait for you and to do all those things. So with all of that beings said, you have your music coming out, you're doing, you're a major player in this big movie role. If you had to pick between one of the two, what would you do?
Speaker 2: I mean, music is without question, that's just kind of like I always have music in my head, so I think that if I ever abandoned it, I would probably go crazy.
Speaker 1: So there are certain things that you just kind of run away from, you know what I mean, it just stays true to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why when when I see artists say like, I quit music, I'm like, no, you don't.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way in my.
Speaker 2: Even if you just did it for yourself at home, you're never quitting music, So don't be so dramatic.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way. In my industry. There's so many people that said, oh, I retire, and then they come back a month later. It's like, why even say that if you're not going to do it. Just live in your truth or don't anything. People get so caught up in the social media world they feel like I I have to say something that I'm just like, you know what, if you need to take a break, just take a break. Right, No one needs an explanation, no one needs to like anything like nobody all of those being said. So with that seguay being said, like, you know, we are very opposite industries that the said, But I feel like I have this one thing where people have fake profiles set up and they're like me, like myself, and they try to emulate my, my persona, my brand, and they speak for you and a lot of fans are regardless. If you speak about it loudly and you make a video about it or whatever, they still tell you and they're going to coments like hey, why did you do this to me? Like why did you do da? Da? And like you feel like man like I already have. I've done so many things to make you feel not that way, and we like know, hey this is the real me, right is do you have that same issue in your industry as well?
Speaker 2: For sure? You know I'm an overall like just private person and I'm not like super I'm very laid back and you know, I think a lot of people we'll take that and make it to be anything else but that. But when you meet me in person, I'm like the sweetest person because I really love people. I love humans I love, you know, giving and and you know, just being and so yeah.
Speaker 1: I identify with that because I feel like as much as like in certain like social media aspects, you want it like less is more, But the less that you say sometimes the more, like like curiosity and ideas that people have already formed in their head are like already about you that they think that you're doing sure, like you're escorting or you're dealing like something that called Google hangouts that don't even have one, but people apparently say that I speak to them on like all these platforms that you're just like if you don't and you're not a true fan of me, And I've already said all these things like how do you not know what's real or not?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like do you have people approach you like that? And how do you handle that? Or do you just ignore it? Because it's one of those things that you could do all three it's a big, a big spectrum.
Speaker 2: For the most part, I ignore it. You know, some days, some.
Speaker 1: Days I have a little feeling out.
Speaker 2: Feel yeah, some days I have time, and you know, I might let the motherfucker know. But for the most part, I just ignore that shit because you know, like we just said, like, at the end of the day, as real as social media, you know is, to people, it's really not real. So you know, unless you know that person personally, it's like, I can't really get mad at you. You don't know, you don't know anything.
Speaker 1: But that's usually what I've also to you when you chime in, is when they're like, oh, but i'd love you. I just want you to say something to me. So that's why for me, again I ignore most of the time. But yeah, you have those day too. But that's also why for me, I've never really spoken out a lot of times. It's because it can get be misconstrued a lot of ways, and they will.
Speaker 2: Matter for me.
Speaker 1: Is why this is all about what private talk is about. I wanted to have you know the control of my conversation and what my truth really is and know that there's way more to me than just what a Laxis Texas is, just because what I've to do at one point doesn't define me as a person. It's just a part of who I am, But there's so much more to me. And that's what I want my listeners and everyone to out there to really like, feel and appeal with everyone and see that as we go on with every show. So I fuck with that. Oh yes, let's applause us. So I have a question with you. It's so you're from LA, but you moved out when you're younger to Ohio, I believe, right, correct? So how old were you when you moved to Ohio?
Speaker 2: So my mother got remarried and she moved in elementary school, you were very young. I was very young. And then I but my father still lived here, so I kind of did the back and forth thing.
Speaker 1: For summers and kind of things. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I came back out here and went to school for a couple of years as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you were back and forth all the time.
Speaker 2: I was back and forth and then I finished high school and Ohio because I, at the end of the day, like I just needed to be with my mom. But I was back in LA by seventeen, so me.
Speaker 1: Being from Texas and knowing LA is completely different. How was the change from going back from Ohio to LA, even though you went back and forth, Like how did you adapt to each situation? And like how does it affect you now as who you are as a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I was living in a suburb outside of Columbus, and it was predominantly white, and even though my mother is white, I was like, one of the blackest things.
Speaker 1: They're so different people they don't understand it because anybody that's just out of the norm, people are going to be like questioning.
Speaker 2: And for me, it was extra weird because I came from LA where we didn't know color at all. It's different, you know, so when I came out there, I was just as shocked as they were. I was like, wait, I'm different, Like I didn't you know, undertand vocalized.
Speaker 1: So that as a kid, did you get in fights because of that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I got into I got into it a lot with people because even you know, there was white kids at my school in LA, but like nobody cared. I cared about it and looked at it that way. So even though I was going to school with white kids, I was like, this is this is still relatively normal, you know to me, until they.
Speaker 1: Opened their mouth. Yeah, because it's geographically is just certain things, you know, if it's because of how we're taught or what it is, it's like it's you know, it's not right. You know, people say things that are like kids are the worst things on the playgrounds and when you say whatever, it's like it's very impactful to who we are and like you know, how we move and for you being in both situations and like you just said, going from white kids in Ohio and then white kids in LA and them not saying thing because you're just who you are, right, And then it's like, hey, like why are you even questioning because I look, you know, it's yeah, different, Like so it was when you went to Ohio? Was it always just like discipline like you got because you got into fights to defend yourself. Did you ever like get to your place where hey, they knew who you were and they accepted who you were because some people it's all about change too, like we have to learn to it.
Speaker 2: I was always the thing was It wasn't like I was like an out like I was always popular. I played sports.
Speaker 1: But you're a beautiful girl who stands out like regardless, So they were just yeah, I mean it's like you're you're gonna stand out in a room regardless, especially in Ohio. Like I mean, like I would dance all over the world, and when you go into certain places and even being from a small town, it's like you stick out like a sore thumb for sure, you know what I mean, And you can't help it. You're just you, and that's it's like, how do I be me without you being an asshole?
Speaker 2: But when I came back to La, I mean, I dealt with the same thing, you know, Like I dealt with racism on both sides. So that was definitely an interesting thing for me. But I'm just and I'm thankful for it. Like I've always been like super level headed, you know, so I kind of like get into my feelings a second because I'm like questioning, like why are people like this? And then I just I guess I'm always so much in my own world that it never like it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: It didn't like deeply scarm me.
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's on You're like you know there, but it's not like really matters. Yeah, it was just like, Okay, they're stupid.
Speaker 2: They're stupid, you know, Like I never yeah, I never took anything too much to heart unless it was like coming from somebody personally, like I said that I knew then that's when so.
Speaker 1: You saying you came back to ka La seventeen, So did you immediately jump into the music game. Did you just like, did you already have a group of friends because you came back and forth that you just like rock with? Yeah, I had musically talented Like where did when you came back at seventeen? Where did? What was your place with la?
Speaker 2: I did have my friends from junior high out here that I stayed in contact with, but I really made a whole new group of friends when I moved back. I went to like one semester of college because my parents made me. And then I dropped out and I moved out music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, prise, it's in your blood. It's okay. Hey, if that's what your truth is all I.
Speaker 2: Ever knew that I wanted to do. But yeah, I dropped out, moved out, and then like six months after I dropped out of school was when I started working with Macy Gray. So I was like, Okay, this is what it is, what it was supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Awesome. I like that. I like that a lot. So thank you for being on my couch. I appreciate it. I love it. I like it, and I have a lot more questions for you. I hope you're ready. I'm ready, So you coming from you know, LA girl. Obviously it doesn't seem like even when you went to Ohio, you still wrapped LA. I hear that you're an LA Lakers fan.
Speaker 2: I bleed golden purple.
Speaker 1: I like that a lot. I like that. I'm a big sports fan. I played basketball myself. I played in junior college. I'm very competitive in those aspects. So like, yeah, I was a Spurs fan. I can't I say it was in the past tense, but I still watched them whatever. It's more like the team has very much changed since I, you know, watched them and like the whole since I've been in LA for over ten years. So it's very different to watch the Spurs. It's left they're playing the LA Lakers or the Clippers. So right, so being an LA Lakers fan, explain that, like does it change of the years? Like did your your parents like teach you that you just like you knew growing up?
Speaker 2: Like you just yeah, that was that was something that that was like my bonding time with my father. He's like a man's man, so there wasn't too many things that you know.
Speaker 1: We can do. I'm a daddy's girl.
Speaker 2: I get it going into like I would say, going into junior high. So one thing that you know, I just liked early on because the games were always on. So that was that became the thing that we would do together is watch the Laker game. And then I just kind of, you know, had that in my head and and just always, you know, it just.
Speaker 1: Becomes a part of your every day, like you know what I mean, or every season, because it's not every day. So yes, yes, So what who is your favorite Laker player of all time?
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, Kobe Bryant of course.
Speaker 1: Hey, I gotta hear, I gotta ask it.
Speaker 2: Hey, but but there's a there is a but because Shaq is right behind him. Okay, I used to love Nick Manax, so I can really give you some names.
Speaker 1: But I'm not that I like it. I like it. That means to me, you know that you're really a fan, and I think my private talk listeners are really going to appreciate it. I hope you guys are liking and subscribing and loving this conversation because I know I am. Thank you for being here. Polomaflo, you are amazing. So tell me more about this Flaker stuff. Let me hear