Speaker 1: This week on Game Spot after Dark, we're joined by Zombie Kills to talk about Little Nightmares, Two Persona, Five Strikers, and Saint Maude. We also go through the news topics, including Anthem Next being canceled, as well as that mysterious Henry Cavill mass effect post. Hello everyone, and welcome to episode eighty two of Game Spot After Dark. This week I am your host, well, I'm Lucy James every week, but this week I'm your host, joined by Michael Him, Callie Plaguey Hello, and special guest Zombie Kills. Hello, welcome, So nice to have you.
Speaker 2: It's lovely to be here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: We have we have a great big list of people who we want to get on the podcast, and you have been on there and like brought up by so many different people, so I'm very glad I got you on, girl Kin. So we typically every time we get a guest on, we start with a little segment which is basically kind of introducing you to our audience and talk about your background and what you what you kind of do, and where people can find you. It has a lovely little jingle which we will now awkwardly sing to you.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just Mario.
Speaker 4: But I don't know. I don't listen to this podcast.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's called the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment. But so Callie and I will take it away.
Speaker 3: So, Chris, that was probably the worst ever we've ever done it. But luckily I think the community actually recorded one and Jake edits it in so you never hear us doing it anymore, which you're the guest has to hear. So we're very sorry, Chris.
Speaker 1: So Zombie please tell us a little bit about yourself. What it kind of? What do you do in the game space, What are your favorite games, what do you love playing? And as a fun one at the end, if you were stuck on a desert island, what would you take with you?
Speaker 5: Hi, my name is Zombie Kills. I make big fat, black, chaotic content on Twitch. That's kind of what I do. I have a really fun time playing games with people and approaching conversations that are difficult to navigate maybe in regular situations, but are easier to navigate when you're distracted by dying in a video game. So I talk about things like prison reform, talk about stuff like black Lives Matter, I talk about stuff like you know, hunger in the United States and in other places, or trying to get clean water for people. I really just kind of focus on a lot of different things that revolve around this theme that's underlying my channel called radical Kindness, and so I believe in curating and creating radical kind spaces in the game community. So that's kind of what I do. It's definitely a lot of C plus gaming. I'm not gonna lie to you.
Speaker 2: Definitely a plus entertainment.
Speaker 5: We have a good time and I have a really dope community, and yeah, you should definitely swing by. I'm on Twitch obviously, that's like I'm a Twitch partner, So you know Zombie Kills z O N B A E K I ll Z And right now I'm kind of stuck on Little Nightmares too. I'm gonna be playing it after this podcast for a charity stream.
Speaker 2: It's like my favorite game right now.
Speaker 5: I just like, I don't know, I didn't think I was gonna like it, and I'm deep in that game.
Speaker 2: I just want to finish it.
Speaker 5: And it's probably the first game I finished since I had my oldest daughter, who's twelve, so like, wow, I mean I'm a mom with I've got three kids, I'm homeschooling in a pandemic, and I have wildly unchecked ADHD, so I don't finish very many games.
Speaker 2: And I'm a streamer.
Speaker 5: My community is very bebop all over the place, and I'm a variety streamer. So yeah, this is the first one where it's just like grab me, and I just want to keep playing and keep playing till I beat it because I just want to see what's happening because I never played the first one. So like, I'm in a whole different ballpark now I want to go back and play it.
Speaker 2: But and if I was on.
Speaker 5: A desert island, i'd want a Swiss army knife. Ye. Yeah, Like it's a multi tool, right, Like I feel like I need a multi tool, and I'd like a volleyball like Tom j Yeah, yeah, I would need a volleyball. I need a friend of like of some sort. And if it's an inanimate object, might as well be a volleyball.
Speaker 2: I guess, Like I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's probably comfortable to sleep on. It could be used as a flotation device and a pinch. I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of different than tool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also a multi tool who knew. Yeah, that's that's a little about me.
Speaker 1: What got you onto Twitch?
Speaker 2: To be fair?
Speaker 6: Uh A.
Speaker 5: Khalif Adams, who I know you all know, who makes a podcast called Spawn on Me, had me on his show and we did a show called Lesson in Blackness that was centered with black creators and our response to current events and social justice events that were transpiring last summer during the resurgence of the Black Lives Matter movement. And I don't know, I felt so much camaraderie on Twitch, and I felt like I was seeing people in the audience that looked like me and wanted to hear people like me tell our stories and occupy the space. And I just slid over there. And I've been there for nine months now and I feel like I kind of like it a lot, and I'm kind of doing okay, so I have a good time, and now I can't imagine not being on Twitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah hell, but I mean I remember seeing you in that in that video, and I think that's the point where we were just like kind of wrapping up getting guests on, and I was like, yeah, we need to we need to see somebody on at some point. I'm so sorry it's taken us all this time, but it's also been incredible to see how you've grown and like how your audience has grown. And I think one of the big questions for you is, like, the Internet is a notoriously shitty place. And I don't want to like dwell on this, but you know, like for women people to call it, the internet is typically a pretty shity place. And I think you do a really great job of like putting out there. You know, you talk and you ask the big questions, and yet you're still presented with so much negativity. And it's like I want to ask you, like how do you cope with that? And how do you how are you still so strong in you know, making sure the conversations are being had, yet you still get all this kind of shit thrown your way.
Speaker 5: I just well, one I try to remember, like I try to stay rooted and who I am as a person, and I try not to let people on the internet tell me who I am. That's a very hard thing to do sometimes, especially when you receive like mass harassment or like hate campaigns. It definitely could be difficult. So also therapy is lit like hell, yes, I love therapy, so much. It's so lit and people don't talk about it enough. Yeah, they're the unsung heroes of everyone. But like, therapy and medication are amazing as long as you prescribed it and you take it as as prescribed.
Speaker 2: But like, I definitely, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just I try to stay very much rooted in like self and rooted in being mindful and present in the moment. Harassment for me, has been a part of my entire existence. I am black, I'm a woman, and I'm plus eyes. Bro, people are gonna.
Speaker 2: Just say dumb stuff, just to say dumb stuff.
Speaker 5: If I let them tell me who I am every day of the week since I was born, I wouldn't have made it the thirty seven years of my life. So I really do try to stay in that. And I also try to stay really grateful. I'm super grateful for things like being able to get to do stuff like this, like how cool is this? Or being on a billboard in Times Square. I'm in Times Square right now on a billboard. Like I just try to be so like think about that, and I just sit in awe of like the opportunities that I have, and I focus on that instead of like, you know, people who send people after people and mercilessly harass people on the internet. And I also try to give them a little compassion when it's needed. Like so some of these people are just sad and super lost and like they really have zero things going for them, and like if you kind of frame it that wait, almost makes it like even more non consequential to your existence.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, constant or of what you do. And so glad we've got you on.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about what we've been playing. Michael. I'm gonna come to you first, what you've been up to?
Speaker 4: Uh shit, yo, I am. I feel like every time I come on, I am all about my bullshit. You know what you're gonna get from me. So let's talk about PERSONA five Strikers first. I knew listen, hey, reviews hot. You know what I'm saying. That review actually hit like two three weeks ago because the embargo was like wild, like super early early. Yeah, but the game came out yesterday as far as this recording goes. But this week, wait.
Speaker 3: Really quick, Michael, I haven't finished the main.
Speaker 4: Person all right now.
Speaker 3: I just I feel like I have to say it at this point, because like, if I get spoiled now after one hundred hours, I'm gonna lose my ship.
Speaker 4: But go on, sorry, We're Kanda dies and you hate to see it. I'm just I'm just playing. I don't know that's for you to find out, you know what I'm saying. Uh, But Persona five Strikers is dope. Like, I feel like the preview cycle has been pretty They've been pretty loud about it, as as I have been to when I've previewed it and reviewed it. So y'all probably know what the deal is. It's a an action RPG adaptation of Persona five continues the story sort of a sequel, more of a spin off. More like I think of it as an anime movie, an movie adaptation of your favorite anime, so that that's that's my show, like.
Speaker 3: The Monica Magica movie, which like basically retells the series but also doesn't.
Speaker 4: Kind of, I feel it's it's more like a like a My Hero what the what is it called My Hero whatever?
Speaker 1: The the movie one Academia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's like a separate story, but it has all the ship that you that you know in love for from the original. You can I wouldn't talk too much about it because always put out like two over two thousand words edited by Kelly Play who's enjoining us here. Yeah he did it. He did it together, so you can peep the review. But man like, I love that game a lot. I hope more people play it, or a lot of people play it, because it's the you know, the game plays fire man like only shit because like you think of being of a persona five as an action game like yo, that sounds like a winning formula. But then to actually play it and see how they've incorporated a lot of the deep RPG mechanics, it's like, oh, they put a lot of thought into it, and it does come together really well. Like at first it's like ash, there's like too much going on, and but once you come to grips with it, it's pretty hard at first, but then once you kind of figure out the system, how to how to exploit the system a little bit more and you get a little bit more powerful, then it kind of opens up and man like, the stories are right. It is so that that's why I say it's more of like a movie adaptation of anime, because like the story isn't like gonna hit you in your feelings like too hard, and this this game doesn't really either, but it hits all the same notes that you that you know and love from the original. So you're gonna you get You're gonna get those those things you remember from back in the day. And you see a little bit of growth within the characters. So if that if if obviously, like if you were into Persona five, you probably into the cast and like to see them again be like, Yo, we're like very sure of themselves. I think that's so that's the thing I really like about Persona five Strikers is that all the characters now it's like, yah, we've been through a lot of ship. Now it's our turn to enjoy our lives. And that was my attitude going into it, because like, I don't want to see them like go through heartbreak again and like relive their trauma. Like they don't have to do that because they've already, they've done that. They've been through enough already, so let them enjoy life. And that's kind of what Persona five Strikers does. Like Yo, they get to go on vacation and then they get to kind of I guess, save other people from the similar experiences. H So you know.
Speaker 1: That's Craig Yo.
Speaker 5: Tell him to tell Greg zomb said to chill message him.
Speaker 4: Tell him if I can't hear right now. If I can't hear blessed, I don't need to be hearing Greg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you tell him. This is I did that.
Speaker 4: Cool it.
Speaker 1: So I started playing Strikers yesterday because I chatted to Michael about it to figure out if I should get PS four or the switch version, and his buying advice was, if you want the frames, go to PS four, which so I got. I got it on playing on PS five and I was very tired, so I only did like half an hour. But first of all, the reugi hate needs to stop.
Speaker 4: Put some respect on my boy's name.
Speaker 1: Poor lad. He's flunking out. He's he just wants his friends. He doesn't need to be shot on.
Speaker 4: Physically or spiritually unless.
Speaker 3: He's into that. No king, no king, shame here on Astro Dark.
Speaker 1: But it's my first ever Musso game, and so I only played for like out because, like I said, I was very tired. But when I was getting into the swing of it, I was like, oh no, this is gonna consume me. And then hearing the music and just hanging out with everyone again.
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh, the last yeah, the last thing I'll say about it is, Yo, that soundtrack is flames bro, Like I'm not playing with you, like of course, Like it's a Persona game, so you know the soundtrack is gonna be fire, but it's different because it's it's Code Techmo's composers working with Atlas and Code Techmo has a pensiont for like metal and punk style music in their games, and to put that spin on a lot of the Persona songs we already know. It's like, Yo, I'm about to beat the motherfucker's ass right now. Like if I hear this song out in public, someone, someone's gonna get the ass. Bet Like that.
Speaker 2: Web is showing so hard right now.
Speaker 3: It always is, it's never not showing.
Speaker 5: Like, so I've never been in this close proximity and we're on the internet, but someone that's weaving out this hard over over Persona and the soundtrack on top of it this wow wild.
Speaker 3: I just you know, we don't do video for this podcast anymore. So I also want to underscore this by saying that Michael's literally literally wearing a sweatshirt with anime eyes on it.
Speaker 4: He's talking, that's.
Speaker 2: My sweatshirt, that's my brand one to talk.
Speaker 5: Actually, actually my eyeballs, those are my eyeballs.
Speaker 3: That's anime eyes. But there is Japanese on.
Speaker 5: It, yes, and it says sadness, sadness.
Speaker 3: We're all in the same boat here. But yeah, I I do want to say really quick, I haven't started it yet, but I fully intend to plan uh wow, fully intend to play it. I was going to say, plan whatever. I'm going to play Strikers because I love Musso games. I love a Dynasty Warriors. I've reviewed a lot of Musso games. It was like a freelancer. I did a lot of like I like reviewed like the one piece Musso games and stuff. I love it. It's just like one of the it's so satisfying, Like it's such a satisfying genre. But I just want to say, because he's not here, Jacob no anime Decker loves Strikers. It's all he's doing. I text.
Speaker 4: I text him and I'm like, what are you doing. He's like Nothing's like he's got anime sweats.
Speaker 3: So yeah, he's going to edit this and hear this. But but since we're talking about Strikers right now that if he were here, he would probably say that enjoying it. And so I'm I'm gonna I'm probably going to wrap up the main person of five stuff this weekend and then I still have the Royal stuff to do, but all start Strikers since you don't you don't need the Royal. I'm so excited.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm, I'm, I'm excited for y'all because it is. It is a magical experience, like Calli has seen my transformation, like with her own eyes, like when I first experienced Persona five back in twenty seventeen, Like I've always had a little bit of web in me, but it was never like unlocked. It was kind of like going Super Saiyan when I played Persona five or like Awakening your Persona. I was gonna say, well, for you, for it, for you, for the for the non Persona folks probably know better about going super Saiyan, but I was like, yeah.
Speaker 3: From like you know, Super Saiyan, God Super Saiyan to like super Saiyan whatever, blue level four, I.
Speaker 4: Like, that's super saying you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So many fucking levels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So uh, that that is that is that is where my head's at. This is where my head has been, and we actually has been for like the past four years. Transitioning off of that, I'm also playing Final Fantasy four, which is which is my roots when it comes to Japanese games. Final Fantasy four was my first Final Fantasy, and I don't remember ship from that because I was five years old and I was like turn based battles. I could figure out. I'm a tactics person. I can strategize, but I know, like I can barely read at the time, and so figure out what to do was hard. My brothers be like, oh, go here, fight this thing. So I don't remember much about the story story. But the reason why I'm playing replaying Final Fantasy four is I've always wanted to go back and kind of reacquaint myself with my first Final Fantasy that I don't remember much about. But also Final Fantasy fourteen and Walker, which is the expansion that was announced earlier this month, has wild Final Fantasy four references, and I want to be able to make those connections. So the same way that Shadow Bringers, the current Final Fantasy fourteen expansion, drew a lot of inspiration from Final Fantasy II and Walker, which is coming later this year, is doing the same with Final Fantasy four. So I'm actually working on a feature doing like a whole bunch, like just from what we've seen in the trailer for the new expansion then like what happens at Final Fantasy four doing wild connections, y'all about to open y'all's third eye, man, go, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, if you've got the pin board with like the had string.
Speaker 4: Yes, going wild always sonny on you all lasses with that. But it's like, I'm enjoying it. I love classic like JRPGs and shit, so I'm having a good time. Agains art as fuck. But it's you know, it's an older RPG from nineteen ninety one. But yeah, that's uh, that's what I've been up to because I'm on my bullshit. You can count on.
Speaker 1: That, Kelly, what you've been up to?
Speaker 3: Uh Well, speaking of Charlie Day and always Sunny with the board, I was on Odell Harmon's podcast we recorded last night, all Full Circle. Yeah I was a full shoh that's my guy, and he uh literally made a reference to that exact meme. So that's just the theme of this week, I guess. But we were talking about the Pokemon twenty fifth anniversary, which is coming up, so I'm kind of getting ready for that because I have no idea what's going on. The twentieth anniversary I covered pretty extensively because they announced a bunch of stuff that like on February twenty seventh, which is the anniversary in Japan, and February twenty seventh is Saturday this year, which since they've been acknowledging Pokemon Day in the West, they haven't it hasn't been on a weekend, so I have no idea, like, are they going to do the news on Friday instead, or are they like just gonna make us all work on Saturday after the post Malone concert or whatever? Because I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I like, is there actually a post Malone concert in Pokemon?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I find this extremely exciting. I don't care what anybody says. I love post Malone.
Speaker 2: Oh see.
Speaker 4: The thing is that I can sing.
Speaker 3: We love sune these parts around these parts, and I have nothing against post Malone. It's just so bizarre to me.
Speaker 2: That's a very odd choice.
Speaker 5: But like also Pokemon's odd as hell, Like I mean, they've got like Pokemon that are like based off of like kids dying and being carted off like into you know, my balloons and stuff.
Speaker 2: So like Pokemon's weird. So like that's very weird Pokemon. Pokemon's not all Squirtles and Pikachu's people.
Speaker 3: The only reason I thought it was weird was because I consider Pokemon to be like to keep it very family friendly. But they've been doing like Detective Pikachu and like their their Twitter accounts very like with it when it comes to memes and stuff, and so I was kind of like I could see them.
Speaker 2: There's radio version, there's radio friendly versions of songs. I mean, look at him, he's been.
Speaker 5: He's had hit songs and like everything including you know, Spider Man into the So I mean like he's he's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's hip. Yeah for the kids, it's yea honestly is the weirder choice to me, but but yes, so there's a choice. There's a post below thing happening on Saturday, uh which if you're listening to this the day it comes out, that'll be tomorrow. Get ready. I have no idea what's going to happen, but I'm waiting for some news. I I think it would be weird to do it on a weekend. I don't want that because I that meets I would have to work. But yeah, so I'm waiting for that. And then I've also been my dad actually started watching Cobra Kai friend of the show. The show, yeah, and I ended up watching it with him, And it's super cheesy, very like lots of eighties references, but it's really fun, Like it's fun. But the thing I wanted to talk about is that it's set in uh, the area of southern California that I grew up in, and I literally went to karate tournaments in some of the places they mentioned in the show, and so it's crazy to me because they'll be like, oh, we're going to you know, well, I'm not going to say the cities, but we're going to X y Z City and I'm like, I literally took a karate belt test there, Like I drove out to the valley and I did that. So that's been pretty wild. It's you know, karate was not cool the way that it is in the show, and the show, like the entire school takes karate and they're all like, yeah, we are so cool. And we're in these karate gangs and we like try to kill each other at school, I like I went to karate with a couple of people from my class, but like, no.
Speaker 2: It was in the eighties. It was very big.
Speaker 5: Everybody was in karate in the eighties because of the karate kid et cetera. Like eighties nineties, everybody was in karate class except for me because I was broke, but like everybody else was in karate class. I just did karate at my house with my cousins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's weird because like the show is set in like the like around like the present day.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like so I think if it were the eighties nineties, like yes, absolutely, Like.
Speaker 2: Now it's like boxing, you got fighters.
Speaker 3: MMA, but like you had those cultural touch points for martial arts that like made martial arts really popular. I took it just because I hate teams and I had taken karate as a kid. And in high school one of my friends was too karate and was like, you should join the dojo, and I was like, sure, why not? And then I did karate like five days a week for like two years straight. Wow, really hard, and I could like plank for four minutes and let's do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like like my thighs were like square, like the thigh must like I was so fit for like a couple of years. And that's gone now. Man, that is so gone. But it is still fun to watch the karate and the show and be like, I don't know if that's how I would do that kick, but go for it.
Speaker 4: I have a question. So I'm not familiar with the show. I know of it, but are these kids being trained like in the school like everyone's learning, but are they being trained for like evil purposes? Is like the head teacher and be like, yeah, but we're going to use these motherfuckers to like take over the world or something. This is like Honaji Academy and Killer Killer or some shit like they got like their four star ge and like they're gonna ask and they can't be touched or something like is that the deal?
Speaker 3: No, it's not like Killer Kill. It's more like the one of the dojos is inherently evil because it is Cobra Kai. But it's not like it's not like we're we're I'm training the children to be my soldiers. It's more like we just have bad ideals and then they fight each other at school.
Speaker 1: So I watched the first couple episodes and Daniel was being a prick. I did not care for Daniel in those first two episodes, but also didn't care for the other blonde guy I never seen Karai kid.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yes, Daniel, for those who don't know, is the karate kid. And then Johnny is the blonde one who he Johnny's in Karate Kid. But also Johnny is also not a good guy. No, he's He's not a good person. The one thing about the show that I have, like, I have not been involved in any discourse on Cobra Kai. I have not been Like, I have no idea how the show is received, So I have no idea if this has been touched on before. It's a little weird that there's no actual Japanese people doing the karate teaching.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, like, is this white on white violence, because like, I'm kind of here for it, but well.
Speaker 3: The cast is not only white people, but the karate like the sense is uh are white and I and there's like there's a a reference because Daniel's last name is LaRusso and at one point someone calls him Danny Danny lar racist.
Speaker 6: So it's not like the show is completely unaware, because obviously the movies had mister Miyagi who is actually a Japanese master of specifically okinawan karate.
Speaker 3: But uh see, the thing is I took I did not take karate from Japanese. I also went to white people karate dojo, so like it's it's accurate, like if you live in and you're taking karate, it's probably just some like chain of like dudes, like just some dudes who know karate karate bro. Yeah. Yeah. And then but one of the actually one of the coolest things I did when uh I did karate was we had this was when the the m Night Shyamalan Avatar movie, which we do not speak of and will no longer acknowledge after this the sentence is over.
Speaker 2: I love that movie. I know it's problematic. I love it. I'm problematic.
Speaker 1: I know no, I've never seen it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I'm.
Speaker 5: Just gonna tell you this right now. If you divorce your ideas of anything else, it's good standalone on its own. You just have to be able to like separate things. I'm great at compartmentalizing trauma. So therefore I apply that to.
Speaker 2: My everyday life whenever I don't like it.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's fair, and I do respect that. Yeah, I think the Last Airbender, that that series is too close to my heart.
Speaker 5: I should also say I've never seen the Last Airbender series ever in my life, so like, I have no frame of reference other than like, hey, cute animations that I've seen around, and then I saw a really dope movie that I thought was well done, and I like seeing fantastical things in movies.
Speaker 2: So like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, if you want to laugh and cry and and then cry more, I would highly suggest the animated I've tried.
Speaker 2: I've tried to watch it. I just it's problematic.
Speaker 5: I'm problematic. I don't deny this. I don't I don't deny. Ask any white man on Twitter. I'm very problematic. But I've never seen that. I've never seen.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't get the appeal behind I don't.
Speaker 3: Get the it's a children's show, that is fair. I watched when I was a child, I watched Keepo.
Speaker 2: I watched Keepo. Keep O's our show, Keepo's our show.
Speaker 3: Well, if your kids get into it, then maybe that'll be your gateway. But we did have bend like, oh my god, I can't say bending day because I know that means something different in the UK because Lucy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that sounds it is in the UK, and now I need to know.
Speaker 3: Oh, not bending day, but bend bender as a it's just.
Speaker 2: Like a drinking day.
Speaker 1: You know. The UK was very surprised when Futurama had a character called bender. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: Now I'm googling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's it's a derogatory term in the UK.
Speaker 4: Oh ship, is it problematic?
Speaker 3: Oh yo, Wow, It's okay because we just.
Speaker 2: Don't oh lord, okay, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah. Anyway, we had Bending Day at the dojo, and.
Speaker 2: Problematic I said, I was problematic.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I don't like that though, not like that.
Speaker 3: I just shouldn't have said anything, but I have to acknowledge that I do know that there is not alternative meeting. But anyway, we had Bending Day at the dojo and we did like the different martial arts that inspired the different bending types in after the Lost Airbender. So we did like tai Chi for water bending, and I think I was taking Kempo karate and that was closest to fire bending, so it was really cool and it was like this cool thing we did at my dojo. But Cobra Kai is very much like I'm here to kill my ex boyfriend's new girlfriend. That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: I'm in high school. I feel you on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, zombie, what have you been playing doing?
Speaker 5: Watching Little Nightmares too? Obviously, I've been playing the heck out of that. And I've been playing a game called Cloud Gardens that's from an indie studio that I love, and it's one of my favorite games. It's really beautiful. It's really peaceful, super chill. It's got like a low fi vibe. It's a diorama building kind of game where you are looking at like a post apocalyptic kind of future. The buildings are all run down, et cetera, and you're trying to grow overgrow it with plants in an artistic way. But it's just chill as heck.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's one of my like.
Speaker 5: They're the same people that made Kingdom, so let me find them on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Because I Yeah, it's been on my wish list for a long time because it just looks so chill and I think I bought it in the sale. I just haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it just looks so it's nice.
Speaker 5: It's one of my favorite games. I just I don't know, I really enjoy playing it, and my audience really likes it when I play it, so like it's something that I've just kind of leaned into and I don't know that helps me unplug.
Speaker 2: From the world.
Speaker 5: So I just play the heck out of it and I put on sometimes I throw on a different soundtrack. But though the game sounds are really good and like crunchy, and I don't know, I love like atmospheric sounds and games, which is also why like Little Nightmares too so much.
Speaker 2: It's got good atmospheric sounds.
Speaker 5: So those are my two games that I I'm like hooked on and that I'm playing in heavy rotation. I'm about to go back on my bullshit and play Survival Arc.
Speaker 2: You ball more.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna say, yeah, you're a big ARC player.
Speaker 5: I have seven four hundred and seventy hours in that game, so yeah, I'm about to go back on my bullshit. Yeah, I just I just got a thing from the Trotto I'm gonna go start my own server again. So you see, you guys, never go back sleep schedule and healthy skin.
Speaker 2: I I don't know.
Speaker 5: And then I'm watching I just finished the Winks Show. It's amazing, that's amazing. Everybody said it was problematic. I'm not gonna lie. There's some problematic whitewashing that happened. Okay, let's just address the elephant in the room.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what is it?
Speaker 1: What is it based on?
Speaker 5: Okay, there's a kid's TV show, Like I said, let's divorce it. Let's divorce it because I did like the kids TV show too. I watched it with my oldest daughter when she was smaller. She was like super into Winks and and that was like her big jams. So like, I just look at this with fresh eyes and pretend like it's a whole entirely new thing.
Speaker 2: As Rad's. It's like gossip Girl.
Speaker 5: Meets like I don't know, like Harry Potter, okay, with like a little of Riverdale mixed in, and I dig it. I thought it was cool. I thought it was like really fun. Are there some slightly problematic things? Yes? Are are there slightly problematic things in everything? As we have learned. Yes, So if you can move past it, if it's nothing that's gonna keep you from like having, you know, being feeling particularly triggered, I think you should watch it.
Speaker 2: It's fun as heck. I thought it was fun. It had cool special effects.
Speaker 5: I really dug the special effects in the show, like I thought they were seamless. I really dug the makeup and the styling. Thought it was very like, I don't know fluff. I like fluff stuff. I'm not gonna lie to you. I'll tell you right now. I love Gossip Girl. I love Gilmore Girls. Hell.
Speaker 1: I started rewatching Gilmore Go.
Speaker 5: I rewatched Kilmore Girls anytime I go through something in my life break up Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 2: It's very like Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 4: But watch Sex and the City.
Speaker 5: I love Sex and the City.
Speaker 2: And I love the movies, and I love the movies like I love them. I love them all. I think they're also.
Speaker 1: See the thing that they were saying that mister Big might not be coming back from the movie. But then he was like, but then he was like, oh, don't believe everything you read, So maybe he is. I don't know, But I mean, Samantha's not gonna be in it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Samantha Leaving is gonna leave it very dry. So I'm gonna say it's gonna leave it very dry. We all come for the raunchiness that Sam brings.
Speaker 2: To the table.
Speaker 3: She adds something special, she adds the spice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I'm and I'm and I'm also rewatching Kipo in the Age of Wonder Beasts the final season again. I just had the creator of the show on Netflix on my podcast. Rad Sea Christ came on my podcast and talked He's really cool.
Speaker 2: He found out.
Speaker 5: I literally just like was like, I'm just gonna tweet how much I love and wish he would come on my show and see. And he like literally was like in my DMS like five minutes later and was like, yo, I like podcasts, what's up?
Speaker 2: And I was like, are you kidding?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: Like what?
Speaker 2: This is my podcast? I've only had one episode. Please don't do this to me.
Speaker 5: But it was really fun and Keepo's really great. It's got really great representation. It's got really great like representation for people of color and also for queer youth. It's got really good representation for queer youth. It's got dope music. From some Wu Tang clan members in it, which I love. The hip hop tie ins in the show, like it's incredible. It's post apocalyptic, which I love, And it's all about friendship and kindness and how that helps you persevere through all things in a way that's not simplistic, in a way that's like really complicated, and it shows you that even though you're doing the right thing, sometimes it's really hard to do the right thing.
Speaker 2: And I just dig the show.
Speaker 5: It's radisheck to watch, especially if you're like knocking back a couple of rules late at night with your roommate.
Speaker 4: Blessing yea, blessed. Yeah, it's real couch out here, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a really good show and I really think people should watch it, but especially if you have kids. I think the representation of like what the kids are able to achieve and how they do it, et cetera, et cetera. And then the conversations with the queer youth in the show are very realistic and they don't feel forced or like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Made to fit.
Speaker 5: And just the level of diversity in that show alone is amazing. So I mean, it's very like adventure time, but more badass.
Speaker 4: Oh you are speaking my language. Holy shit, I don't know why I didn't know about this, like everything like checking off slept On. It's so slept on. It's very much like when Marcelene did her individual episodes for mistakes, for Marslene's episodes. It's very much like that kind of vibe, but all the time, and it's rat.
Speaker 2: It's just rad. It's a good show.
Speaker 5: And that's kind of like what's been taking out my time outside of streaming is sitting and watching rewatching this last season with my kid, because I did watch it secretly without her, so like I'm trying to pretend like I didn't watch it without her.
Speaker 4: Like this is fire.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna watch it without you just amazing.
Speaker 5: Like so now I have to pretend like I've not seen it so she doesn't get mad because.
Speaker 2: She's twelve and she's very moody and dangerous.
Speaker 3: That's twelve is a hard age to be so tough.
Speaker 4: I hate it here and that's what that's when I remember I started talking shit to my dad, like you're not my dadd.
Speaker 5: She's not that crazy, but she's definitely mouthy and we definitely like she slams doors now and I didn't know that that was the thing. I had to tell her the other day that I would remove the door, and I was like, I literally stop myself halfway through saying and I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I'm my mom, I'm my mom right now.
Speaker 5: Oh my, I like panicked. I was like, never mind, I'm not going to take your door. And I was like, but I really want to take her door.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be like my mom. It was it was a moment, y'all.
Speaker 5: Anyways, that's parenting is trash.
Speaker 2: Ten out of ten.
Speaker 5: Don't recommend until you're well therapeutized and ready to roll.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know, twelve year olds are in my house now, so that's a thing.
Speaker 1: God speed, damn, good luck.
Speaker 5: Pray for the audience. Just light one poor some of your your hennessy out for me on the ground right now, because that's my life.
Speaker 4: I got you, I got you.
Speaker 1: And as for me, I did play Metal Gear. I played it for a few hours on Valentine's Day with my love and which is very good because he's played it multiple times and was just trying to guide me through it. And the PC controls aren't great. Greatly difficult, and I kept getting very mad. But I'm up to Psychomantis and I'm waiting until we hang again so that I can continue playing. But I did watch at the weekend Saint Maude, which I have conflicting feelings about. It's in a twenty four horror movie about a nurse who's very religious and she is in palliative care. She's looking after this woman who's dying of cancer, this ex dancer, and she basically tries to convert this woman. And there's a lot of religious themes, a lot of kind of psychological stuff going on. I wouldn't klli h. I wouldn't because there's a lot of vomiting in it.
Speaker 3: Oh no, all right, yeah nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I've watched that at the weekend and I the trailer itself is creepy, and the whole movie does do like the tone stuff really well, but I think it gets a bit lost in itself in a bit, I don't know it. It tries to rely on the religious angle a bit too much and then it just kind of is a I don't know, like it didn't hook me at the end. The ending I thought was it kind of unraveled a little bit. But I did watch it and I was like, you know, part of the no Repeat twenty twenty one, watching a bunch of new stuff and so mixed feelings on it.
Speaker 4: But it's mid. It's a it's amazing that that's what the kids say.
Speaker 3: Really, is that what they think? It's mid?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know if it's a kids thing, but you're saying something's mid is like, like.
Speaker 1: I'm still I'm still not over the fact that, you know, skinny jeans are out sent apart to back.
Speaker 4: Skinny jeans are out because jeggings have been in since the past fifteen years. Asked me, shit, my pants are tighter than my skin.
Speaker 5: So they're trying, they're, honestly to God, trying to bring back low rise jeans and I'm.
Speaker 1: No, no, we cannot allow that.
Speaker 5: Never have the FUA and I am against this right. Yeah, with every part of my I will rail again. Still, I will die on the hill.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've seen a lot of booty crack in my time that I did not want to see. So let's bring that back, or let's roll that back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to bend over an x on. You show people my hoss.
Speaker 3: Carcass I did want to say, just back on the horror movie train, A lot of horror movies tend to fall apart in that third act, so I'm not surprised to hear it. But I also think that too many horror movies lean too hard into the religious horror angle. And I don't know if that's like we're all trying to be the Exorcist thing or where that comes from. But I mean, as somebody who did not grow up going to church or anything like, it just has no effect on me. I'm like, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I've got that. I've got that Catholic guilt. So for me, so it's affecting.
Speaker 3: It works for you, But the book we just it didn't quite.
Speaker 4: Hit shouts outs to the pope, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And with that, let's move on to the topics. Okay, on the news topics for this week. So we are recording this before the PlayStation state of play, so insert I don't know, fake reactions here.
Speaker 2: Wow, whoa Horizon zero?
Speaker 3: Do so crazy?
Speaker 4: Final Fantasy sixteen. If there's Yo listen, if there is Final Fantasy sixteen news or new trailer of if now Kiyoshida gets on, gets on that video and starts spitting facts like I will cry again for the second time or now like for like the twentieth time. What am I talking about? Final Fantasy sixteen news? WHOA, that's it. That's all I say.
Speaker 2: All I want is Ratchet and Clank news. That's all I want.
Speaker 1: That's oh, I imagine the trailer.
Speaker 5: I'm literally obsessed with Ratchet and Clank. I have a Ratchet and Clank tattoo on my left hip.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, yeah, I do. I respect that, and I love Ratchet and clanks so much.
Speaker 5: I love robots so much, so I've been really anticipating like this release like it's a yeah, it's gonna kill me if I don't get to like see some Ratchet and Clank action because I'm so anxious about whether or not we're gonna get it this year or if they're gonna lie I said.
Speaker 1: I think they said June or July, right.
Speaker 5: June's my birthday month, and I really want this as a present because I will sink so much time into it. Like I just love Ratchet and Clink games. They're fine, They're pretty to look at already, so like what I see for them putting out for the PS five is going to be incredible and I just want to see more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, hopefully we'll see. We'll see at the state of play. But there has been other news to tide us over today Wednesday, when moved filming recording Anthem Next It's gone uh. Blog post from biowere stated that obviously COVID and the move to work from home had an impact on development bywear and not shifting their focus on to the next Mass Effect, the next Dragon Age, and providing more content updates for the Old Republic? Are we surprised?
Speaker 5: No one in this group is surprised. Come on, I mean we all knew it was dead in the water when it like after the demo dropped, like we've it's been right, Like it's been dead since then. It seemed really cool for like two weeks.
Speaker 1: I remember playing the alpha and I was like, oh man, this like feeling flying, feels really good. I it was buggy at the time, but obviously it's an alpha. And then you're like, oh, there's some story stuff they're trying here. Maybe it's just because I just don't have any connection to this world yet that I don't care. And then the final release came out and I was like, oh no, I just I just don't care. I don't. I don't have it in me to do like a destiny thing with this game.
Speaker 3: I reviewed Anthem, and I do think that the flight mechanics and some of the like the way like abilities and combat worked were really interesting. But I have to say, it's like, out of all the reviews I've done, it's one of the ones, like one of the ones I joyed the least. Like, I really did not enjoy the process of reviewing that game, which is weird because I gave it a six. I like, looking back on that, I'm like, really because I did not have a good time, But I do think that, uh, they did have some some good ideas, so it's kind of it's I mean, it's always a bummer because obviously, like human beings worked on it and it were working on that and it got canceled. So I'm never like and they were like ha of course, like I'm I don't. I don't relish that feeling, even though I think we all are not surprised because obviously, like people were dedicating their time to it. But yeah, having reviewed their Anthem, yeah yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Have a you have an intimate relationship with Anthem, so you probably know best.
Speaker 3: I like that was one of the reviews where I was like getting like I had to Honestly, it's kind of hard when you're reviewing a game and like you're getting to the point where you're getting like your like rage quitty, like if you're playing a game and you're getting frustrated, Like sometimes sitting down and doing that review, I almost have, like in the past, have overcorrected because I'm like, oh, I was just being emotional and I should probably like tone it down and be more fair whatever. But like my philosophy now has definitely evolved to like, man, if I don't like that shit, I didn't like it, Like if I'm not, like, I can't change the fact that I had a terrible time. So I mean that was a couple of years ago now, so I've definitely changed on that front. But oh, that was rough. So many technical issues too, Like, So that's.
Speaker 4: One thing I'll say about it is that everyone always has this thing to connect it to my bullshit. Again, everyone always has this thing when like an ambitious game kind of low key flops out the gate. Yeah, it is like yeah, or especially specifically online games. They're like, yo, they're gonna do a REALM reborn. It's gonna be like Final Fantasy fourteen again. It's like, heya, hold your horses. If you actually know the story behind and Final Fantacy fourteen's transition after it had flopped, like it is well documented how fucking hard it is to even like even try to pull that off. Like the fact that Fan Fantasy fourteen pulled it off is a goddamn miracle. It's not just like, oh, let's just like tweak parts of the game. It's like it is an ambitious effort that everyone needs to be one thousand percent on board with the vision and needs to support that vision, and very few like very few people have that or like when these things come up, they don't necessarily have the time, the resources, the support that they need to make it happen. So like, yeah, these things just don't like, oh, well, we're just gonna rework it. Boom it's good now, Like that is like I don't know, it's oh.
Speaker 1: Can't you just patch it? They can't just patch it. And I think towards the end, like didn't Anthem have about thirty people working on it that was it, like, then those are the people in charge of like, yeah, see overhauling it and making Anthem next. So it's no surprise. And honestly, I do wonder if they saw the reaction to the next Dragon Age, they saw the reaction to Mass Effect Legendary Edition, they saw the reaction to the next Mass Effect, and they were like we should just.
Speaker 4: Jump like, yeah, these are things we can't afford to fuck up, and if if our resources are better spent there, then that's where we need to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it sucks, and like Kelly said, like, you don't necessarily like seeing shit fail, Like but so from from from a sad story to a god I don't even know what to make of this. What is that Henry Cavill mass Effect Instagram post Michael, I see clicking on it. Yeah, so that so if you're unaware you don't follow Henry Cavill on Instagram. He posted a picture of him in his dressing table, dressed up like garyld clearly filming season two of The Witcher, and he's reading something and he's blurred it and he says something like oh, sneaky hashtag secrets or something you'll never know hashtag hump Day as well, which I really appreciate.
Speaker 4: Let me know what's up about relax Relax.
Speaker 1: But given the fact that what he's reading and someone went through and sharpened the image, is he's reading the Mass Effect three Rannock mission briefing, I think from Mass Effect three. So there are some words that people have picked up from their like Cerberus, tally'saura and so basically the internet is a blaze. Is he going to be in the new Mass Effect? Is he going to be in a live action trailer for the legendary edition? Is he going to narrate the audio books of Mass Effect? I'm sure why you'd want to. They're not that good, but they're not. They're not. There's one there's one book that was so bad that I think they actually had to recall it. Wow, I think or there was like it was a very big uproar in the community because of something to do with Kai Lang and some cereal it was.
Speaker 4: It yo, all right? Yeah, my mind's just going wild with like is it if it's about because like, the Koreans are like the most interesting race I think in I was gonna say Final Fantasy in Mass Effect. In Masspect, like Qureans are like the most interesting, like Talley's like that's my girl one thousand percent. And if it has to do with the next next mass Effect, like yo, if we act because like the whole thing about Rannock is like the Koreans can't live in their own planet anymore, and like you go there in some capacity in Mass Fact three. But I'm just like, oh, snap, let's there's mass Effect. Universe is so rich. We've had we had three games, and there is so much more to unpack in that world that codex is fire Man, God damn, there's so much stuff that could pull from.
Speaker 1: Did you see that? The only reason that Fane was as sick as he was, I'm not going to say stuff because it was it was because someone fucked up a codec centry.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable And that's the kind of shit that I love.
Speaker 3: But do we want to see more?
Speaker 1: I mean, if this is a movie, because the Mass Effect movie rights have been you know, that has been in development hell for forever. I think they even like signed the movie back in two thousand and eight or something. Would we want to see a movie mass Effect or a TV show?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: I mean, they're given Halo. I don't know the Expanse exists. Yeah, I don't think you need a Mass Effect TV show.
Speaker 2: Expanse is amazing.
Speaker 1: It is Oh my god, finally someone who watches The Expense.
Speaker 2: I love it so much. I love it so much.
Speaker 1: I'm at the end of season four and it's phenomenal and everyone should watch it, especially like Mass Effect.
Speaker 5: I've never played Mass Effect. I've never even looked at it. I've never even looked at it.
Speaker 4: Are you are you interested in it?
Speaker 2: No, they're talking an audience like well, Black Girl Blue video Games.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Like, I.
Speaker 5: Feel like so much of this stuff isn't really marketed towards me, and and therefore I kind of miss out on it. Does that make sense because some of these things, Yeah, some of these things, I feel like they're marketed so wrong, and then I go back and touch on them, or maybe like a friend recommends it to me, is like, yo, really try this, and I play it and I'm like, how did I miss this? But then I realized it's just not marketed for us chat.
Speaker 3: Howard and I had this exact conversation a couple episodes ago. Because there's so many games that like I just have not, Like I was talking about Hitman in that example, like it's just like I don't realize that it's something that would interest me at all, and tell somebody I know is like, oh, you'd actually really like this, and I was like, oh, I thought that was for like teenage boys, like I had no.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hit Man just looks for me from the outside of it looked like, uh like a poor man's like Max Pain like kind of experience, is it, like?
Speaker 4: And I, yeah, well I and I wouldn't I wouldn't like disagree with that that because like I can see someone getting that perception out of Hitman of course, Like that's what someone's gonna think.
Speaker 5: What I've seen marketing exactly is what I mean to say, Like I've face value and and with me with games, it's like I either like connect with it or I just don't.
Speaker 2: And so like I hear people saying things about mass Effect and they're like I.
Speaker 5: Would die for mass Effect, like like they're like so into it, and I'm just like it's never appealed to me. But it's the same way like Halo didn't really appeal to me, but I played it for the PvP aspect. Of my homies, Like I like to run Halo lobbies with my friends, but like the actual story of Halo, just like Snooze Fest. I also just don't like I just don't like like war torn stories and like.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean this is yeah end of the Galaxy Soldier shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I don't relate.
Speaker 1: I mean that's totally fair. I think, yeah about it being marketed, is that, Like it certainly was marketed that way, and it was you know, they never they always had the male command of shepherd and they never even settled on a female one, despite the fact that you can play the entire trilogy as a female character. Wait you can, yeah, exactly communicate that there is a there's a character creator as well.
Speaker 2: Like see, why don't they like this part?
Speaker 5: This is like so imperative for people who are trying to identify or see representation in games, and they miss out on whole demographics. Like for me, there's a lot of things that a lot of people don't realize, like culturally are so different. I definitely like feel like a lot of games are marketed towards like sis, white males, Like they're just marketed towards them, which is cool. Because that's their target demographic, that's who they're looking at. But I would so much like more targeted marketing, like Animal Crossing. When they came out with like the targeted marketing with the hairstyles and like they made adjust it that brought me right back in because I had like fallen off because.
Speaker 2: My mental health was okay, and then.
Speaker 5: And then and then I came right back though, because I was like, yo, they pulled me back in with the marketing. And I feel like so much in games, we just there's like a lost opportunity of experiencing these games for people like me who maybe just don't see it and were like, ah, this game won't be for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to find There was an old, like years old Polygon article about the history of video game marketing and how it ended up becoming so like targeted towards like that narrow demographic of like teenage cis white boys, and I can't I used to like I would be able to rattle off the headline for you. Oh it's called it's actually called No Girls Allowed. I just find it found it, so if you look up no Girls Allowed, it's from twenty thirteen. It's a pretty old article, but it still tracks. It really impacting me because it was a look back on the history of like how the marketing became that way. If you listen to the episode. I think there's multiple episodes where we talked about this already. We got good feedback on it from from people in the community who related. But sorry, we're rehashing it really quickly. But but that article looks at that. I mean, you know, you're missing out on at least half of the people, if not at least, but you're missing out on half the people you could be marketing towards if you're if you're only focusing on men, so and then you know not to mention race and sexuality and all the other things that you could that are in these games that these games have that like, there's there's so much these games have wide appeal. You just don't see that. And I think, you know, Mass Effect is definitely a great example of that because yeah, like they didn't even have femischev on the cover.
Speaker 5: And okay, fine, I'll look at Mass Effects. Me to look at it.
Speaker 1: So wait until legendary edition, because if you go back and try Mass Effect one, now it's no yea she clunky, don't do it. She hasn't aged well, she's like I shouldn't refer to her as a she. But it's like, I don't know, you're trying to You're kind of constantly fighting against the game. At some point, it's just not a fun experience. Well, it is fun, but you that kind of comes with I think knowing how it It's like an old car, like you know, the piece is the place on the dashboard that you have to hit to get it to work just right. Yeah, that's what Mass Effect one is.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what they're doing in Legendary is they are kind of making it just just bringing it up to date, and they're like opresingal textures and stuff. But like there are some really incredible human moments in it and like relationships, and that's why you'll hear people say like I will die for Mass Effect, I'll die for Garrison. And it's like because of those little stories within the broadest which is end of the Galaxy, end of the world stuff.
Speaker 3: Also, like most fans consider fem Shep to be Cannon Shepherd because like everybody likes the voice acting more like oh hell, I remember like that being a thing like they put the male player character on the cover and then like everybody was like, oh no, actually you should probably plays as tem And I hate calling her that because like no one calls him male. Shep uh, But that was the thing for like years. But anyway, do we need a movie? No, I never think we need a video game movie. Stop adapting them.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make what mortal comment. Hello.
Speaker 3: I just think, like so many games, the intrinsic like like the interactivity and the mechanics of the game are not like you can't separate them from the story. There are like there are some games and the example I always go to is To the Moon because I saw a stage adaptation of To the Moon that gave you everything that To the Moon can give you To the Moon, I think, yeah, absolutely beautiful. Game doesn't need to be game like for that story to be affecting. But there are so many games where like you lose out on a lot of the value when you strip out the player aspect, Like, I just don't think that you can. You know, you could never make an Undertail movie because the act of playing Undertail is an inherit that is part of the narrative design.
Speaker 5: So so that's how I feel about so torn on this because I love that arc is getting like an anime series with it, Like, oh shit, I'm really pumped about that. Like, I don't know, there's so many worlds I would like to live in a little bit longer.
Speaker 2: But then there's also some that I feel like, no.
Speaker 3: No, I shouldn't say never, because like I watched the Pokemon anime for many years, so like I should should not say never. But I think that, yeah, a lot of the time you're gonna there's there's gonna be issue like lost in translation things with Mass Effect, I feel like, you know, a big part of that appeal for me is like the RPG part of it is the like I'm choosing you know who I'm gonna romance, and I'm getting to know the characters like on on the level that I am in control of and like I can seek out And so I don't know how that translates. I don't, I mean unless unless.
Speaker 1: You took a story from Mass Effect that you've never experienced before as a player, like First Contact War for example, yes, or a Specter that's you know, the first ever Specter for example, and you like show that that would be really cool. I don't understand how this Shepherd story could translate because so much of those games is choice and consequence.
Speaker 3: Yes, however, I see I say all this, but if if Henry Cavill was cast as goods, then it's like, never mind. All that goes out the window.
Speaker 1: It came over for you bitches, like.
Speaker 3: Oh never mind. I have no opinion on game adaptations, I have no thoughts in my head. I will watch it.
Speaker 4: So Mass Effect is about the power of friendship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like friendship.
Speaker 4: I do like friendship. I'm a sucker for friendship aspects about friendship. I'll tell you how much.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to listener questions. As always, if you have questions for the show, make sure to email them to after Dark Podcast at redventures dot com. We're working on getting me at gameshow dot com back, or you can DM myself or Jake on Twitter. Dms are open, Please be nice or drop them in the discord. If you're not in the game swort discord, make sure to message one of us and we'll get you in. It's a very fun place full of nice, wholesome people. So, Michael, do you want to take this first question? I got you, I feel like a teacher calling on people.
Speaker 4: Nah, I got it. I think I can still read. Do you find services like game Pass, Smart delivery, delivery or even xboxes dedications to backward compatibility inadvertently impacts the public's perception of Nintendo charging full price for ports slash remasters. For example, it was quite jarring to see news of a game like Metro Exodus receiving substantial upgrades free of costs, and in the same week Nintendo ask their fans to pay seventy nine dollars and nine nine cents Canadian dollars, that is, for a port slash remaster of a ten year old game. Curious about your thoughts on the sustainability of Nintendo's approach as it pertains to their reputation amongst customers. Mister Blue MD with the question.
Speaker 3: I will say we talked about this a little bit last week with Jared Petty, So we did talk about how Nintendo is kind of this unique entity when it comes like The thing is, we've we have been teaching them with our dollars for many years that we're gonna buy Mario on every platform it comes out on because people do it. I I used to buy every version of Pokemon. Uh, because I didn't have anybody to trade with, but also because I wanted to.
Speaker 4: I want to hug you. Now you can't fill out your.
Speaker 3: I accept the hug. But also because they trained me to catch them all, so I was going to collect all of the cartridges. I stopped doing that after a while. No, I have sword NGI on their mind, but me too. I I do think that, like it's weird to say this, I guess because it's not that like like, as a person in media, I don't want to hold some companies to one standard while I hold others to another standard. I just feel like, you know, Nintendo kind of exists in ownsphear given that, like it has the exclusivity on a number of very particular franchises that you like, you don't get anything similar elsewhere, Like, yeah, you can play a three D platformer that's like Super Mario sixty four inspired on PC or whatever. I've reviewed a number of them, and none of them are what I hoped they would be. You know, like there are you know, Zelda likes, and but like none of them are Zelda, right.
Speaker 1: I It's it's.
Speaker 3: Just a very particular position that Nintendo's in thanks to you know, twenty five, thirty five plus years of build up with these franchises. Does that mean they that it doesn't suck when you get nickeled and dimed. No, obviously, It's like I would rather not pay sixty dollars for Skyward Sword. And then again, I didn't play Skyward Sword originally and I never bought it, So I mean, I guess like this is me buying it for the first time. Yeah, I don't know. It's it's definitely weird. It's I don't have a good way to explain it. It's just that Nintendo magic. We're all suckers.
Speaker 5: I just don't think that this Nintendo's gonna Nintendo, like, Nintendo has so much brand integrity, they could do whatever they want and every single person is going to continue to pay for it because they operate in a very specific space and there's.
Speaker 2: No one else that can compete with them on that level. Period. They could tell us something one hundred and twenty four dollars that we already owned three years.
Speaker 5: Ago on a different system and it was system specific then, but now you have to buy it specifically for this system, and everyone's going to be like, you know what, I love that game so much, and it's like nostalgic.
Speaker 4: Ye're set.
Speaker 5: They're repackaging and selling us nostalgia at a premium, and we're gonna continue to buy it. There's nothing anyone could do that will snap everyone out of paying these Nintendo prices except for me, because I don't do that shit.
Speaker 2: I hate to break it to you, Nintendo. You got my money once with we you.
Speaker 5: That's it. That's it. I'm not doing it. I will nint I love you so much, Nintendo. But also like that's crazy. It's crazy to me, Like we have what three switches in this house, four switches in this house now because my kid just had a birthday, so we have four switches in.
Speaker 2: This house now.
Speaker 5: I'm not buying all these games at sixty seventy dollars a pop for each of them. Xbox Game Pass exists, and my kids will just be Mario lists like I don't. And I don't feel bad about it because they have no frame of reference for it the way that we do. The people that are paying these premium costs are paying it purely because of nostalgia. Like we literally see repackaging and reselling of these Mario games, and we pay it because childhood, and we will continue to pay it.
Speaker 2: Game over, GREGGI, all of us, we're all gonna be suckers. We're all gonna buy the games. We all know we're going to come on, let's just be real except for me.
Speaker 4: Except for me.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, y'all spend that money if you want to. I'll buy snacks instead.
Speaker 5: But uh, I love your Nintendo and I'll buy all your new Pokemon stuff, and I'll buy Animal Crossing stuff if it's new and it's really new, I'll buy it. But this this stuff is wild to me. I've got game Pass and I am a game pass junkie, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I'm thinking about it, and I haven't I did that with Pokemon for sure, But like I didn't get Windwaker HD, like I just played wind Waker on GameCube, and like I have my GameCube copy still, like I said, I never played Skyward Swords, so like if I had played Skyward Sword, I listen. I hate the art style. I hate Link's lips specifically, I like that was a big barrier for me and why I have never played cards, so like I'm gonna play because I feel like I should, I should, you know. And that's another thing about the games industries. There's a lot of pressure to like have done, you know, have experienced the Pantheon or whatever. But like if I had played it before, I probably wouldn't be buying it again. I also think that people our age, like people like millennial generation people, like if you were a kid, you were probably playing a lot of Nintendo games because a lot of like most of the other games that were available were like not necessarily for children. Yeah, so the nostalgia, the nostalgia there is like we didn't really have a lot of other options, whereas kids now probably have more options for family friendly games than just Nintendo. But like at the time, I feel like, well, you know, I can't really talk. My dad let me play Doom when I was five, so I uh, I never I never really had a barrier like that with games, Like I was playing emirated games like from from the Job. But like when you're a kid, like the Nintendo games were just they're colorful and they're friendly, and they're they're accessible for children, like a lot of them don't require a lot of reading, Like, you know, I just think there's something to that too, like specifically for like the millennial generation, the nostalgia comes from a specific place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think also comes to the game design. Like I think you're so right, both of you about talking about you know, you have this the halcyon days right that you want to go back to. And for some people that just means holding on, Like I hold on to every console I've ever owned, every game I've ever owned, Like I'm sorry, mum, they are all in my room still and I'm never gonna move them. But like, I hold on to such shit. And you know, Okami, for example, is a game that I have bought every single time they have ported it.
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 1: I have it on I think PS two, PS three, PS four, Slash five Switch. Yeah, I own paid for that game four times, and it's like, what am I getting out of that? It's the same game, and I've never finished it on any of the ports, but it's shinier. It's literally the Malibu Stacy but he's got a new but she's got.
Speaker 5: A new hat and can relate to this though with arc I've bought it on everything.
Speaker 2: It's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I've done that with Skyrim, to be honest, A friend of a friend of mine used to genuinely collect different versions and copies of Resident Evil four, So a game that's obviously been ported to everything, but she would get like the international versions, like the whole thing, and so I totally get it. And it reminds me of, you know, playing that game for the first time. And but back to like to the listener question, mister mister blue MD, is that Xbox's fault. No, it's it's Nintendo choosing to do what they do Xbox and doing what they do, and like you can you you you assign your own value on if you think if you pay seventy for that ninten No game and that's worth it to you, then that's worth it to you if you pay nine ninety nine months of game Pass and that's and you you get the value out of that and get the value of that.
Speaker 4: Here's another thing too, is that it's also what are these what do these reissues offer? And for Nintendo is because from generations to generation they are also their consoles are very different from one another. The GameCube is very different from the we we do we you like obviously that's that's a parallel there. But then also you incorporate the tablet, so the games who are that are designed with the tablet in mind also need to be re need to be like rethought of when they when they're brought to another platform. Also, Greg, you'll shut your ass. Oh you just said you just said that. But your microphone just like loaded.
Speaker 5: Your gate came off your microphone, so you've been talking outside of the gate and like, so it's been muffled. But the second you moved in close, the gate dropped.
Speaker 4: Fully hate to see it. Yeah, wow, hate to hear it.
Speaker 3: But Greg, we could also hear Greg. So there's the whole cacophony of things. But you're so right, Mike, Like, the technology is also a factor where you have a little bit more consistency in you know how like the controllers are from generation to generation with Xbox or with PlayStation, but you really don't like Nintendo has some whack controllers, like they've just been all over the place, like and that the technology does change the amount of.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have to. They have to.
Speaker 3: They must have had to do a lot to Skyward Sword, in particular because they added no motion controls for a game that was exclusively designed with motion controls. So you know that's a little different too, But yeah, I don't think it's like it's not Xbox's faults that I mean, that's just how how it is.
Speaker 1: Also one final thought, game pass having its own like game Pass achievements has basically ruined me because it's like you get achievements for just downloading games and then you get those points and then you can put the points towards like Xbox Live Gold and stuff, And I'm like, if I wasn't suckered before, they've suckered me again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, if.
Speaker 1: You're not doing your game pass dailies, then what you've even done? Wow, just out out there. But that's all we have at time for On episode eighty two Theaters eighty two eighty two of Games one After Dark, Michael, where can people find you? And what are you working on?
Speaker 4: Oh boy? All right? So you can find me in all of my bullshit on Twitter dot com slash Michael pim or at or you can find me at Michael p I'm on Twitter. I have I don't know, Sometimes I feel like tweetings, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I have wild Twitter threat threads of what I do some bullshit I used to do back in the day, and it's very fun to share those kinds of things. Also, I shut my ass up sometimes, so you never know what you're gonna get with me. So that's that's the reason why you should follow me. You never know what you're gonna get. I might be quiet for a week, but boy, I will hit you on a Saturday night when I'm wild shmizzy or if I'm wild faded like yo, You're gonna get some fire ass tweets touch in between the hours of one a m and three as going into a Sunday. Yeah, and you know your boys on some kind of I'm on I'm on levels, so you can check that out. Also, I share my work every I don't share everything I work on, but you can peep.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm usually on. Like I talked about Yakuza, Final Fantasy and Persona all the time, So if you're into that ship we need. For not following me, you're missing out. But also I'm working on a few things. I still got a few things in the in works to cover a Persona five Strikers, and also got some more Final Fantasy things on deck, and also having a wild interview, a very long interview with a localization director for Yakuza Like a Dragon, so that's also coming up soon as well.
Speaker 3: I can't ready to read that. I'm so excited to read that.
Speaker 1: Lets get it, Kelly, what about you?
Speaker 3: You can follow me on Twitter at inky do Chico I n K y d O j I K k oh And you know, as usual, I'm working on a lot of you know, stuff that's not getting published, a lot of back and stuff, I you know, workflow processes, project management, super exciting. So I'm not really posting a lot of a work on Twitter right now, but I do. I do, indeed do things. I'm gearing up, like I said, for Pokemon, so you might see stuff from me on Pokemon if they actually announce anything. And the Animal Crossing update which is going live on the twenty fifth, which has already happened for you if you're listening to this, and the Mario items which are coming on March first in games, so I'm going to be doing more animal Crossing stuff for that, I guess. And finally, I have an Animal Crossing Instagram account that I've been posting.
Speaker 1: You should you should, you should shot about this because it's so good.
Speaker 5: Wait, Patty, why haven't you shared this with me? I need to stand.
Speaker 2: Let me go stand, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Join me on Animal Crossing Instagram. It's a lovely place. It's the only way I can use Instagram now because my actual Instagram account is unusable to me at this time. But it's Inky Dot Crossing. You know, got that brand.
Speaker 2: I see it, you pulled up immediately. I'm on it. I'm following. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: But it's a lot of fun. And so I've just been posting like photos from my island and stuff on there, and I, uh, it's it's a great time. I am really really enjoying it. So if you like Animal Crossing, like zombie and you want to see what I've been up to, it's a great community.
Speaker 1: It's so sweet and zombie. Why can people find you? What are you up to?
Speaker 5: You can find me everywhere, and I mean everywhere. And I'm gonna push heavily my tiktoks because now I'm I'm becoming TikTok fluent. Yeah, I'm doing them. I'm doing I'm doing them. But uh yeah, find me on TikTok, on Twitter, on Instagram, on Twitch, and on YouTube at Zombie Kills. I'm the same everywhere. We have consistent branding in this house. That's what we believe in. And tonight I'm doing a charity stream. I'll be playing for the on the game Hers channel for the Thousand Dreams Fund. I'll be playing some little Nightmares too, and then I'll be doing blind play through with Steve Saylor on Friday. I'm really excited about it. And I've been doing the D and D with the homies All Black D and D every Saturday two to five pm on Cipher of Tears Twitch channel.
Speaker 2: It's been really great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, shout out to Tanya. It's been really great playing D and D. I've never done it before and it's all black. It's something that we got to do sponsored by Astros. And I'm honestly like, okay, like don't tell anybody, but like I'm really freaking into D and D now, Like I'm really into it.
Speaker 1: Talk about it because I've been one time so into it.
Speaker 5: I'm so into it and now like i think I'm gonna start doing it more on my channel, Like I've got this bug now and it's bad. Like I just have been having so much fun. So yeah, if you like that kind of stuff, if you like that kind of content. Follow me on all the things. Uh, sometimes you'll find me, you know, railing against everything wrong. And then sometimes you'll find me being drunk and vibing like Michael on Main and having a good time.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I'll just be silly. But yeah, you should follow me and.
Speaker 5: Get the full version of who I am instead of the internet YouTube version of who I am.
Speaker 4: I can I can vouch for Zombie. Zombie is one of the one of the people I've followed who've won. I've what I've learned from Zombie from following you over the past ever since discovered you, is I've learned a lot about being comfortable with yourself. And I think that that is that has made me a lot happier during a like a tough time during pandemic. I'm like, fuck it, I'm gonna be myself. My I'm I'm not scared to be myself. And I see that a lot when I since I've been following you, so in that way, like I've learned.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna cry.
Speaker 4: One of the many one of the many things I've learned from you is like yo fucking Wilow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just be yourself. Man, life is short. You could die literally five minutes from now. We have no choice but to like just be our most authentic selves and live right big facts.
Speaker 1: Hell yes, well, thank you again for joining us, and thank you all for listening. I'm on twittertas James Games.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to this on Friday, head over to games was YouTube channel YouTube Slash Games for a new episode of Console Crew. It's basically Generation Next, but we talk about Nintendo Now. So if you enjoy that, please but you're pointing it.
Speaker 4: I almost forgot. We just dropped a Yakuza Like a Dragon spoiler cast me Ben Jenka, Jean Luke, Skype and an illustrious guest by the name of Max Scoville is on that thing, and we we wild out about Yakuza Like a Dragon. All the spoilers on deck. So if you have played that game, oh definitely peep out. That's a bonus episode. A game spot after dark and the Cryme boys get wild up in there, so you know, peep that ship.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, So if you're subscribed to the podcast feed, you will get that listen to. I haven't listened to it xce' and finished the game, but I'm very excited to check out what the crime Boys have to say, because I've never met such a passionate group of people about a game as the crime Boys. Something should give a listen if you've finished, because I like a dragon. Thank you all for listening. We'll see you next week.