Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy crap, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot. The kids are crying or trail off. The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, Goldplay Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 4: Good afternoon, and welcome into a Friday edition of Coffee and Company. I almost said that it was a game day edition of Coffee and Company. It's not. We're close. We're a day away from the game. Louisville and Kentucky the first time Pat Kelsey and Mark Pope are going to be coaching in this rivalry. And I talked a lot yesterday about how it just didn't feel like we were we were there, meaning that close to the game, And now you're a day closer, and I do feel a little bit different. The anxiousness is starting to kind of set in. And I wouldn't call it nerves, because, to be honest, Louisville isn't a position where they aren't expected to win, and they know that. Fans know that now these guys are gonna come out there with the mindset that they're going to win. At least I hope that they will, meaning the Louisville players, because I just can't see a scenario where Pat Kelsey has in any way let these guys feel sorry for themselves or feel like victims because of the circumstances with the injuries. So it's not really nerves, it's just, you know, I know what this game does to me. I know I'm not alone. I have grown as a as a human being over the years, and I you know, I don't act like a lunatic like I used to. But I guess more than anything, it's growth that I can now control myself. Like I could watch this game. I mean I don't want to, and I'm not going to, but I could watch this game in public and you know, not lose composure to where I will, you know, make a complete fool of myself. And I don't mean like I would be mean to somebody or insult somebody or like fight, but you know, just run around, scream and just appear like a madman, like if. And by the way, that's why I like to watch the game in private because I can. I can still do that and you know, not be judged. But you know, this game just gives me a feeling that no other sporting event can provide. I mean, the closest thing to it is when they play in football, but in basketball, you know, it's just it's just different. So you know, ready or not, it's happening in roughly twenty four hours and we're certainly going to talk about that a lot today. Again, it is coffee and company, and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us, and again we also appreciate our friends over there at Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program if you haven't already, because you'll save money at the gas pump, and that means you're gonna probably be stopping there each time you need gas, because if you're in Kentucky, and it's likely a Thornton's close to you because they're all over the place, and if you are stopping there for gas, because each time you do, you save money one that makes a lot of sense, no pun intending, because you save, you know, sometimes twenty five cents off per gallon. But you're also gonna probably be going into Thornton's because you think, Okay, maybe I'll go in and get me a cup of coffee, maybe I'll go in and get me an energy drink, maybe I need a snack, a bite to eat. They've got all that, and any trip to Thornton's, in my opinion, in my experiences, has been an enhancement when it comes to just how the day is going. So again, we appreciate our friends over there at Thornton's and you support those who support us. We hope you do, and if so, thank you. In fact, Thornton's, you know, they flexed a little bit with their new food items that they've got on the menu that like, you know, they just at the same time started offering delicious pizza, they started offering the taktos. They've got wings now as well that new breakfast sandwich that is a sausage and cheese with a waffle as the bun. I mean, they just dropped that like it was nothing, and they're all delicious items and you know, a little new. I know there's there's a tempted competition. I mean they're they're not They're not legitimately competing with Thornton's, because how could you. But I see the Thorntons that's closest to me, just maybe a block up. There's another gas, another imitator appearing to you know, set up shop and try to compete. Keyword they're being tried because they won't they won't succeed in doing so. But the name of it is called wah Wah. And I you know, I've heard of it. Like I know people listening are thinking, oh, yeah, I know what that is. I've seen those all. But like, come on, name it whatever you want. You're not competing with Thornton's. Let's be real with ourselves here. But wah Wah. You expect me to like feel any threat for Thornton's because of a company named wah Wah. I mean it's it's really funny if you if you think about it. But anyways, again, Coffee and Company proudly feel about Thornton's. Nick Coffee with you taking you up until six o'clock, and I guess we will just dive right in. I mean there are some other things I want to make sure we get to today. We'll try to let you hear some sound from both Pat Kelsey and Pope Is. They both talked about the game and there's some transfer portal item stuff that like is on the radar for me to discuss. We never really know what direction we're going to go in during this three hour show, but on a day like today, I mean, I'd be a liar if I told you that. I you know, would be shocked if we get to the end of the show and we didn't spend ninety nine point nine percent of that time discussing this matchup between Louisville and Kentucky. That's kind of what you do when you get this close to the game. It's a big deal around here. I know it's not the case, but I kind of feel like in my world, my lifestyle, those that I'm close with, whether it be friends or family associates, these are people that I just know, like everything kind of stops when this game's going on tomorrow at five point fifteen, And I know that there are people who don't get absorbed in it, they don't really care, they won't watch because you know they have interests in lives that don't at all involve college basketball or this rivalry itself. And you know, I hope those people live happy lives, but man, I can't relate. I cannot relate because this is something that really shouldn't have such an impact on my morale, my energy, but it does. And we all know that's what makes sports special because the emotional connection, the emotional investment that you make into these teams, and you know, sometimes it feels like it's the best thing in the world, better than sex. Maybe, I guess depends on you know, the kind of you know, you know what I mean. But like when your team that you love so much ends up getting a big win, having a comeback performance, winning a championship, you know, the highs man, that gives you such a feeling that like it's you know it For some it probably feels like one of the best things you've ever felt in your life. Sounds like an exaggeration, probably is, but like you know what I'm talking about, And when they disappoint and they lose and they struggle and the results are not good results, it leaves you with a pain that you know, you can't really understand why you feel that way, and I'll explain on my end, like I'm a grown up that has you know, a life, a wife, two children, Like at the end of the day, Louisville being good or bad in basketball and beating their rival in basketball or football. You know, at the end of the day, it really doesn't impact my livelihood at all. Obviously when it comes to what I do for a living, it would be beneficial for Louisville basketball in football to be excelling to where there's a lot of interest in it. And therefore, whenever I use this platform to hopefully entertain you and of course discuss that, then there'd be more people invested in listening because you know, things are going well. So it really doesn't It doesn't have anything to do with my livelihood, the health of my children, like things that really matter. But yet, whenever this thing ends tomorrow, I kind of feel like if Louisville's on the losing side of it, like I'm going to be sad in a way that I'm going to feel like, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Nick?
Speaker 4: Why does this game does? Why does this get you so high or so low when you really have no involvement in it at all? No, you know, I have no control over what happens, and you know it doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't affect me individually or my family at all. Like it's you know, it's a feeling that I've I've had in recent years because again, the highs are really awesome, the lows really suck. But yet I guess I just reflect now that I'm a little bit more older, and I'm like, man, I shouldn't. I shouldn't be this high from from something that I had nothing to do with it, Like you should be happy, but like the feeling is insane. And then the feeling that you get when you lose that sadness, that feeling is insanely low, and it's like why do you care? Like why are you so bummed? So I know I'm not alone. I know everything I laid out, there are many of you listening that can absolutely relate to that. And sometimes I question, like what are we doing here? Like why I shouldn't have this? This shouldn't this doesn't make since I've got there's something wrong with me. But I also deep down know that I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world because it makes me feel alive. And you know, maybe one day it'll kill me. Maybe one day, losing to Kentucky in basketball as often as Louisville has in my lifetime, maybe one day that'll just take me out. I hope not, and in fact, I know that it won't. Maybe it'll be something else. But yeah, we're here, the game is happening in twenty four hours roughly, and Louisville underdogs. That's not a big surprise. I expected them to be dogs. And to be honest with you, I think I said eight and a half yesterday as far as what I guess the point spread would be, and I was, you know, I was. I was off by a couple of points. But I you know, trust me, I'm wrong all the time. I'm not trying to like give you an excuse as to why I was wrong, because again I'm wrong often. But I later said, you know, I don't really know. I still guessed eight and a half. But I thought it was going to be tough. I just didn't know what the what the books thought of Louisville. Louisville is a tough team to figure out when it comes to setting the point spread. But I don't think that it's a big shock to see Kentucky ten and a half point favorites in this game tomorrow. And you know, on the Louisville side, as of now, as I try to, you know, check the pulse of the fan base the best way I can talking to fans that I know, personally, reading what's out there on Twitter, that kind of stuff, checking the text line, that's the best way I can, you know, check the pulse of the fan base. And yes, I know that that's not an entire representation of the entire fan base, but you know, it's all we got. And these are people who are very passionate and emotional about it, because I don't mean like emotional to where they cry, you know what I mean. They're the diehard fans. And on the Louisville side, I feel like they are you know, they're they're not expecting to win. They also feel like that this Kentucky team is probably a little more beatable than some of the other great Kentucky teams that Louisville has lost to. I think they feel good that despite being shorthanded, they're going to come ready to play. And that's that's where something but I think Louisville fans are aware that they could win, but not expecting it and just hoping that it's competitive. And if they get to a late game situation, it's then, you know, let's ride it out and see what happens. I mean, I've yet to hear any Louisville fans say that they are stone cold confident that they win. But I haven't really heard, and I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I could find the pessimistic fans. They just say, we're going to get our ass kicked. You know, I don't even know why we play them anymore. Like those people exist, and you know they're entitled to their opinion as well. But on the Kentucky side, I think they are confident. I think they know their favorite. I think they know that they are expected to win, and again same thing. I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I would find Kentucky fans that are expecting to beat Louisville down at Ropperena tomorrow and just you know, make make it a blowout. But I think there's some quiet confidence in this Kentucky fan base, at least from what I can tell. And I don't know if it's because they've never seen Mark pope coach in the rivalry. I don't know if it's because they did have probably theirs their worst performance of the season against Colgate. They do have wins against Duke and Gonzaga which have great value. But you know, they're confident, but they're not real chesty, they're not real arrogant about it. And look, I know I'm probably angering somebody right now who's saying, Look, you don't know, I work nick with this guy. He's a big a hole, he's a he's a bb in bozo and he's been running his mouth. He's confidence. So again, I know that there are you know there are. There are all kinds of different ways fans on both sides are feeling about this game as we're just to day away. But I'm just kind of giving you what I'm gathering. And again, there I think there's a little bit of like an even an even keel energy, if that makes sense, on both sides, because Louisville doesn't want to just say, you know, hey, we aren't expected to win. We might get killed, but who cares. I think there's maybe not quiet confidence from Louisville, but I feel like, you know, if you can compete with Duke for thirty minutes like you did the other night. Maybe you go into Rupp and you can take advantage of them maybe having an off night when it comes to shooting. And on the Kentucky side, you know, I don't think that they are in any way like expecting to lose. But the Colgate game, probably with them trailing with about fifteen minutes left in that game, it probably, I guess, made them look more beatable than they ever thought they were. Colgate was two and eight. They're not very good Louisville despite being shorthanded. I mean, you would think that they're a lot better than that Colgate team that led against Kentucky in the second half. So we're getting closer and we'll continue to get you set for the game. I've got a lot of thoughts to share on the matchup itself. Had some good questions that came in this week that I wanted to wait until today, as far as just questions about the rivalry when it comes to memories that kind of stuff. And we'll let you hear a little bit of both Mark Pope and Pat Kelsey as they both had press conferences earlier today, and we'll get to this a little bit later on. I'm not really sure how much more can be added to this, and it's already kind of been discussed, But today I think just hearing both those guys talk was a reminder that as the rivalry is kind of renewed, here meeting two new coaches taking over programs at the same time that are very similar as far as how they like to play, and they both come off as very likable. But today hearing both of them, I mean, I don't to me, it's not like I'm uncomfortable with it, because I don't have to dislike the Kentucky coaches or players to know that when they play, I want them to lose. Like it's not personal, it's just how the rivalry works. And I know a lot of you guys know exactly what I'm referring to. But what I was going to.
Speaker 2: Say is.
Speaker 4: I think both have made it not only hard, but like really hard to just dislike. Like I think Mark Pope is a really, really likable guy, and I think I think the same about Pat Kelsey. But you know, maybe some would say it's because I'm a Louisville fan. Of course I would say that, But now, like I think we find ourselves saying that about the opposing coach, and it's not like you're torn, Hm, which one am I going to root for? Who do I like more? It's not that at all. It's more so, you know, it's more so just the fact that you want to be like cal was the perfect villain for this rivalry, and I don't think we'll ever get that kind of a villain around here anymore. And we'll never get the personal rivalry that Patino and Calip Harry had with one another. That was just a different It was just a secondary layer to the hatred that you have within the fan base, Like we'll never get there again. And that's okay. I've accepted that. But it's it's more fun and more natural if you find the rival coach to be pretty easy to dislike or pretty easy to like make fun of. And I just don't think we're there yet with both sides, Like I could find some things to make fun of Mark Pope about, but like it, you know, it wouldn't be and it would just me, look, it would be me going out of my way to look like an a hole, because really he seems like a very likable guy that you know, seems like a good dude. Same thing with Pat Kelsey. They can make fun of his glasses, they can make fun of his some of his comments, but like, at the end of the day, these guys have a lot of charisma, and you know that to me seemed as evident today as it has since they both got hired. I also will add, though all it's gonna take is one loss for one side, Like will, we'll probably still know that Mark Pope is a pretty easy guy to like and think that he's a pretty good coach. But like if if they win tomorrow, even if he's like classy and not an a hole and doing l's down and all that kind of stuff, like the fact that he beat us will will make him at least a little bit more easy to dislike, just because you know, you don't want to lose to your rival and he's the guy in charge of the rival. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's Coffee and Company, and we are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: So again, no real surprise that you see Kentucky open up here as a double digit favorite. Ten and a half is where it stands currently and that that makes total sense. Let me double check here. I don't imagine it would have changed since I last looked at it, because I don't think either team has played a game since the last time I looked at it. But the current ken Pom projection for tomorrow is Louisville losing this game of course, eighty three to seventy two, so an eleven point loss. Sort of see ten and a half as the as the opening line. Not a big shock there now, I think when it comes to this Louisville team with the injuries that they've dealt with recently, and look Kentucky's Deale with injuries too, they're not at full strength, I would imagin they're gonna get me Lamont Butler back. I just have a hard time thinking that he wouldn't be he wouldn't be out there playing, but maybe he's not at one hundred percent even if he is playing. Not sure now kerk Crisa is out for a while and this isn't a knock to him, and I'm not trying to do the you know well that yeah, they're injured, but like not like us, like I mean, that's the truth. Not only are their injuries, well, if Lamont Butlers isn't able to go, then that is certainly a I mean, that's a guy that is very important to them and they're gonna miss. However, to know that they can go beat Gonzaga without him, you know, it's not it doesn't make him look bad, but like they could withstand that clearly they proved it. Louisville is just a team trying to figure it out and figure out what they can do with the seven players they're comfortable playing, and you know, just figure out what formula they can put together, what style makes the most sense as far as just you know, giving them the best chance to have a decent to good season. You know, they have played a really, really challenging schedule thus far, and yes they've lost to every team or any team that's beat them has been a really good team. But you know what, Kentucky's also a really good team. So you've struggled and gotten blown out by some good teams at home when you were shorthanded, and you know they were just you know, it was it was their night. However, when it comes to you know, this game Kentucky again, probably I mean, Kentucky beat Duke. They're probably better than Ole Miss and you're playing them at their place, you know. So it's just clearly there's gonna be some points of emphasis emphasis from Pat Kelsey. And I've thought about, Okay, what are like anytime I find myself thinking what can Louisville do to really take away Kentucky's, you know, biggest strengths. What could they do to me Kentucky a little more vulnerable to where you could find yourself pulling off an upset. But I just I to me, it's not even about that. I think Louisville's just got to make shots. And that sounds so silly, it sounds so simplistic, but it's just the truth. I don't believe we're gonna see Louisville tomorrow just start taking a lot less threes than what they've taken all year. I mean they're taking let's see, I mean I just had the numbers pulled up in the break there. Let me see if I can pull them back up, because I'm not without even like, without even looking at it. And by the way, the stats that I was looking at is not the actual one I'm gonna reference here, So I am guessing without knowing for sure, But there's I would be willing to bet that Louisville as a team is shooting more than thirty threes per game. I mean, I'd be highly shocked if if they're not, so to expect them to just make some adjustments and not rely on the three as much and try to feed it in the poet more or just do a bunch of P and R action pick and roll action with with Chucky Hepburn, Like, I just think that would be a big shock, And I am with everybody when it comes to like, geez, do you need to be taken thirty plus three's a game? You know, whenever you're clearly not not a good shooting team when it comes to the percentages, Yeah, you've got guys that shot it decently where they were previously, but you're asking them to play a much different style now for the most part. And also, you know, just because you can make them doesn't mean you should just keep firing them up. So like, I'm not in no way am I like Hey, fans who are upset about the amount of three point shots. This team is taking their off base because that's what they should be doing. Like, I'm with you. I just know two things. One, Pat's not going to completely change his style as a coach despite these injuries. I think you've already seen some slight adjustments. I mean, I think we saw more half court sets since they've been without Case and Pryor, so you know that is an adjustment. But look two things. One, he's not going to tell these guys to just all of a sudden be a little more selective with a three point shot because he wants them to be confident, and he believes that they're a much better shooting team than what they've done this far, and that in any moment the flip, the switch can flip and they could get hot. I mean, they made eight of their first eleven threes against Duke. That's a pretty good recipe, right, So he's not gonna make a change to where you no longer find yourself in the game thinking like what the hell are we doing? Why are we taking so many threes when we don't shoot it very well? But also like the scenario this is, you know, this is my opinion not to act like it's any more valuable than anybody else's. But like the scenario where Louisville ends up being a pretty good team this year that maybe finds themselves fighting for a playoff spot in an NCAA tournament spot in March, Like the scenario where that happens is that they do make three point shots, Like, there's no scenario with a three point shot is not gonna be relied upon with this team. That was the case when they were healthy. And even though you know they're missing one of their better three point shooters and Korn Johnson, like, and they really can't play the same pace that they want, at least they shouldn't like three. We're just gonna need this team to start making shots. I mean that again, it sounds so simple as if like you know, Okay, it's that easy, just make shots. But I just know there's no scenario they've become a team that doesn't rely on it heavily. And also with the pieces you have, Yes, I think you can do some more half court stuff than what I see. I think Chucky Hepburn is a really good pick and role player. I think you can really do some things with with Terrence Edwards Junior, I mean, he's a little bit of a slow developing guy offensively, but he's crafty enough and good enough to get to the line and he could score two. So like, yeah, it's not like you're only gonna have success if you shoot thirty three's a game and make forty five percent of them. But you know there are some other things that you can do. But make no mistake about it, there's no scenario where this team is not like the best. The way in which you would take what you have to work with and have even a moderate level of success, It's going to include guys knocking down three point shots. So you know, Kentucky's gonna want to play fast. And again that's this is And I talked a lot about this yesterday and I don't want to regurgitate too much, but this matchup, like in a perfect world where Louisville is not shorthanded with injuries. Uh, and maybe they've got a little bit more momentum than they have right now because Louisville. Louisville could have been fully healthy with Corn Johnson, Trey Oure and Noah Water. I'm sorry and Case and Pryor for the entire season and may still have the same record. I'm being honest with you. I mean, like, maybe you end up holding on and you beat Oklahoma in that championship game of the Battle for Atlantis, Like maybe if you're at full strength there, because that was that was a really close game till the very end and you just came up short. So maybe having prior healthy, you would have won. But all the other teams you've lost to Tennessee, Ole, Miss Duke, I mean, those are teams that would probably beat you even if you're at full strength. So you know, I'm not acting like Louisville is the team they are with this record currently in this resume because of injuries, but just knowing that you're so limited moving forward, I mean, you've had proof that it's going to be tough to beat these really good teams like Kentucky when you're shorthanded, and you know you just, let's be honest, you don't have I mean, your ceiling is lower without those guys. But what I was talking about this matchup first game between Pat Kelcey and Mark Pope, and they're being so much excitement for it because of the obvious reasons, two new coaches, all new players, not a single guy in this game tomorrow on either side will have ever experienced this rivalry before. So you know, that makes it, you know, an intriguing matchup this year because again it's all brand new. You know, Kentucky clearly still owns the rivalry when it comes to wins and losses, and we all know that. But I mean, it's a clean slate as far as kind of starting fresh. I don't mean clean slate like we got to throw out the records, Like Louisville doesn't have the disadvantage here comes to wins and losses, but it was a clean slate and a fresh start, and they both want to play the same way. Kentucky is still in a position to where they can do that, whereas you know, Louisville they can try. But like, it's just it's really not a good recipe when if you want to play a game where you get way more possessions than your opponent wants to have, and you're playing guys the amount of miniature having to play them now because of the injuries, it's just, you know, it's not ideal to do that. And I just wish that you know, again, this is not a hey, if Louisvill's healthy, they they'd win for sure. But I know that if both teams were at full strength, you would see a game that I think would be super exciting as far as just pace, and you may end up getting that tomorrow. It's just I feel like Kentucky clearly is way better built to do that right now, not only because of what they've proven, but they just they've got They've got the edge and talent, I would say, and they clearly have more bodies that they can they can rely on. So I know that may have sounded like I'm going ahead and giving you the excuse with Louisville lost because they were shortthanded. No, Louisville is not as good of a team without Case and Pryor Korn Johnson and Cater Treory. We all know that. But who knows, maybe Louisville even in full strength, would still have a really tough time against Kentucky. You just don't know, You don't know, But I would say, there's just and again this can be And again that's why I just felt I've felt like I don't have a lot to bring to the table as far as like discussing from from a strategy from a strategic standpoint, like what you really need to do if you're Louisville again, you got to make shots. You got to be able to play really good defense and get some stops. And this team has played some really good offenses, and I think their defensive energy has been has been really good throughout the year. But you know, you're now playing a team that is number one in the country when it comes to points per game in this Kentucky team. Real quick, I found Louisville right now is shooting thirty one point eight threes per game, the only school in the Power five level that is, and by the way, that ranks seventh nationally. But there's only one team shooting more threes than you per game from the Power four level, and that's Illinois, who shooting thirty three point eight. So again, knowing they're going to continue to shoot a lot of threes is not something that gives me confidence. But maybe it ends up being one of those days where a lot of them fall, and if three pointers are falling and they're good looks, you can you can blow a game wide open. I mean, that's just the reality of it. It's just I have a hard time expecting that to happen whenever you know that eight of eleven starts up they had against Duke wasn't crazy, right, It wasn't something that you just really can never see happening again, because they were good looks and it was guys taking them that you know can make shots. But they've played what nine ten games at this point, and more often than not, they've been a team that really really struggles when it comes to, you know, making those shots. I mean, they're shooting on the season. I mean, let's see, let me pull up the let me yeah, I would imagine that when it comes to three point shooting percentage, Louisville right now is and it's gonna be tough for me to figure out where they rank. But that's really not even that important. I just mean they're a team. They're shooting twenty seven percent from three, and that's just that's that's really a recipe for disaster if you're shooting twenty seven percent and you're shooting more than thirty a game. But call them stubborn if you want. I wouldn't use that word. I do think, as I discussed a moment ago, there's there's good reason to continue to let them shoot them at times. I mean, again, I don't think they should be shooting as many as they are. And there's some guys that I feel like, should you know, not have the green light, maybe a yellow light to be a little cautious before you just jack it up. But they're still gonna, you know, because I think Pat Kelsey knows that the best chance of this team being good is to the three point shooting. Can you know, improve to where you're making it a much better rate, and that's a big weapon that could help you win games. Now on the Kentucky side, they're they're also I mean, I would say, I mean, they're clearly a better three point shooting team, I would say when it comes to percentages than Louisville is. But I would I mean, I'm trying not to talk out of my rear end here because I have watched Kentucky and followed them close enough. I've seen a lot of their games. I wouldn't say they're a bad three point shooting team, but third percentage, i'd say is a little bit lower than what they thought it would be. With the guys they you know, they've they've got on the team. Obviously, Kobe Bray is a guy shooting fifty six percent from three, kid me, which is just insane. But Lamont Butler shooting at about thirty three percent, Jackson Robinson shooting under thirty percent from three, probably a guy they thought would shoot it a little bit better. But they've got Andrew Carr, who you know, has is I mean, they're this Kentucky team. This is you know, the biggest challenge when you face them, among you know, many challenges, is that you can't you know the same thing Kentucky fans at times reference that kind of worries them. Okay, do we have a guy who can just take over and go get a bucket? Like against Clemson, they didn't, you know, they didn't really have anybody they could just kind of say, Okay, I'm the best player on the floor. I play for Kentucky, I'm gonna go win us this game. And you know, I guess maybe Jackson Robinson kind of showed that when you beat Gonzaga. But I think what worries you about like having the elite guy and maybe you're not worried. Maybe you think that's Robinson, maybe you think it's Butler. I don't know, but that's not as big of an issue for you whenever you've got five guys that at any moment can be your best player and lead you in scoring. I mean, oh, Way is their leading scorer and it's not even close. He's averaging two and a half more points than anybody else like that. That would have never like to me if you told me he was their fifth leading scorer, I would believed you. I know, he plays, he scores, he produces, but like they're just so balanced. I mean, they're getting thirteen a night from Lamont Butler, Jackson Robinson just under thirteen. In fact, Brea just under thirteen as well. Andrew Carr is averaging eleven and six. We saw what he can do against Duke Amari Williams is giving you nine points a game. So I mean they're you know, they've got a core that they rely on that are all really consistent and maybe you know, the likelihood of like all those guys being well below their average is just kind of tough to envision. So when it comes to how you beat Kentucky, I think you try to take advantage of them to find but I don't really know if Louisville has the personnel to do that, like if you're Kentucky, and Kentucky's not a bad defensive team, but clearly it's not their strength. They've got some good rent protection for sure, with Williams and with Carr. But when it comes to how you know Louisville could potentially take advantage of that, I don't think it's jacking up threes. I would think it would be Okay, let's find some guys who you know aren't great on ball defenders, Like honestly, Lamont Beller's a really good defender, but the other guards they play, I'm not sure. I mean, you could, you could take advantage of Kobe Brea being a really really subpar defender, but like, I don't know if Louisvill's got the guys to do that, right, Like is that a Terrence Edwards thing or a Javon Hadley thing? Like could they try to expose him as a poor defender, which I mean, I'm not talking crap about the guy. He shooting fifty six percent from three, but he's not a very good defender. Andrew Carr also not a great defender. Like I think if you're healthy, Case and Pryor could potentially really expose that. I don't know if you've got a guy now that can do that. Noah Waterman, probably not. Now, maybe this is a can I Roos game to where despite him being a freshman in car being a fifth or six year senior, like clearly the athleticism is in favor of Russ. I think he's more explosive. I think he's I think he's I think he's tougher, and I don't mean to call him weak, but like I think, you know, Can I plays with some good energy about him to where like maybe you could exploit that, but I just don't think that's what Kelsey's going to be dialing up. I think Kelsey is probably just going to have these guys play the same way they've played all year, and I just don't think that's going to be a good recipe for this game or this season. But you know, maybe I'll be wrong again if they just instead of shooting it, you know, as badly as they are now twenty something percent whenever. I mean, by the way, they've had some games where they shot it close to like fifteen percent while they shoot thirty three is a game which is just disastrous. But like if you could go from being that poor of a shooting team to where you're making I don't know, six or seven more a game. That sounds like a lot, and it is, but if you're shooting that many, it's really not that many. If you make five or six more threes, a game like that could change a lot. It's just hard to know that they're going to rely on it so much, and yet more often than not, including the most recent game we watched against against UTEP, they were firing it up like crazy and not many of them went in, so not ideal. All right, We'll let you guys hear a little bit from Pat Kelsey and from Mark Pope on the other side, and I'll kind of give you my thoughts on sort of you know, and I'm thirty six. I think a lot of people know my age at least roughly, so, like, I've got some memories good and bad from this rivalry that i want to that I want to kind of rehash with you guys. But I'm sure there'll be some games that you guys remember that, Like I don't, cause I'm a lot younger than you, or maybe I don't know, maybe not a lot younger than you, but or maybe you're listening and like, you don't remember whenever Kentucky had a huge lead and it was Francisco Garcia and Taekwandine and Larry O'Bannon that like helped Louisville make a miraculous come back and win it. Like I was young. I think I was like fifteen or something, but like maybe if you're a lot younger than me, then you don't remember that. So again, I'm sure everybody's memories are different, good or bad, but I'll share mine with you on the other side, so stick with us. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: That's right, This is Coffee and Company Fieldbouth. Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. As we continue to get you said for tomorrow's big game Louisville and Kentucky, and what I'm gonna do here with the time we've got left, I want to play two different clips from both Pat Kelsey and Mark Pope talking about each other, the rivalry, that kind of stuff. I don't want to play their entire press conference because you know that would be we don't have time for that. But here's Pat Kelsey on But here's Pat Kelsey's answer when asked about Kentucky and this rivalry. And then you'll hear the same thing from Mark Pope coming up right afterwards.
Speaker 2: I mean, gosh, I really believe it.
Speaker 5: You know, I said it to Bob, And I'm just gonna tell you guys how I feel. I think if this season ended today, to me, you know, Mark Pope would probably be National Coach of the Year. What he took over, what he had to build, the way the team has come together, the way they're playing, you know, it's good. I mean I I played when I was at Winthrop. We played against Kentucky in nineteen and I thought that was a really really good team that we played against. I think you go two years back before that, in seventeen, that was a really really good Kentucky team. In my opinion, this is the best one in the last ten years. I mean, those those ones were decorated with great, great players, lottery picks and all that. But like you know, not only is this team, as you know, probably as dangerous and as talented as potent, but they're older as well. Right, they got an old veteran roster, so a ton of respect for their personnel, for Marc as a coach, and we're doing everything we can to figure out, both on the offensive and defensive end, what our best plan.
Speaker 2: Of attack is.
Speaker 5: They make it difficult because of their talent and their scheme. And you know, yesterday's preparation was great, with a great day today, looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Five point thirty Is that what time it is? Five point fifteen?
Speaker 6: That Coach k used to talk about kind of a kinship with first Dane Smith then Roy Williams playing against North Carolina because they were the only people who knew exactly what they were going through when they played that rivalry game. You're about to kind of step in that circle, similar circle with Mark Pope. Have you reflected kind of at all on just what it means, what this step you're about to take. There's only a select circle of people who know what it's like, who sat in your position and know what it's like to coach this game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, gosh, you go back through the history of this rivalry.
Speaker 2: Our program, of their program, I mean, it is it is.
Speaker 5: It is full of legendary coaches, iconic coaches, and you know, I'm the new guy in town. I'm not gonna speak for Mark, but he's kind of the new guy in town. I'm just joe bagadonuts trying to figure this thing out. I sure hope it gets to the point, you know, twenty years down the road where Mark and I can be in that situation that some of those other great coaches are have been in in this rivalry. But in the meantime, you know, we're just keeping our nose down, or I am. I'm sure he is as well, keeping our nose down, blinders on, just doing everything we can to put our team in the best position to be successful. You know, both first year coaches here at these institutions. You know, I'm familiar with Mark just because you know, the coaching fraternity is small and familiar with his journey kind of came up through the mid major ranks similar to how to what I did. You know, he scored fifteen hundred points. I scored forty seven. You know, but I have a lot of respect for him. I think he's a really good coach. He's he seems like a great guy. I tried not to like him, because I don't think I was supposed to like the Kentucky coach.
Speaker 2: But he's a man of faith, you know, and a really good coach.
Speaker 5: And you know, when five point fifteen happens, I mean, we'll shake hands and we'll exchange pleasantries, and we see each other on the road, we'll talk because I think we have some commonalities. But at five fifteen, we're trying to rip each other's face off, and I'm trying.
Speaker 2: Sure he's trying to do it to me, and I'm trying to do it to him.
Speaker 5: And but you know, there's got to be honor among thieves in a in a.
Speaker 2: A respect for each other. And I have great respect for him.
Speaker 3: A terrific team. They've had some huge wins there. They can be super disruptive, they're really aggressive, They're they're you know, they're really aggressive. You know, Chucky is is playing an elite level. He's a veteran, veteran guy, and becauses so much chaos on the defensive end and and also causes a ton of chaos on the offensive end. And they got you know, it kind of feels like there are you know, six six across the front line guys that can shoot it and drive it and make decisions and play and have some real physicality of the game and and and then they've got some real length, you know. I mean you think about playing No. At six eleven, at the three and the four and the five and everything he can do and and and so they're a terrific team with a massive upside. They're really really dangerous. I think that's how they feel, is super dangerous. On any given night, when all the pieces uh come together, they can be a really really dangerous team. And I and I think, I think, uh uh Pat does an unbelievable job, like he's he's a he's a terrific coach. He is gonna crush it there. And and I like him as a person, and he's he's he's insanely uh intense and and uh competitive, but he's doing things the right way and for the right reasons and and he's gonna have great success there. So they're a good team and and they've already proven they can be really really dangerous. Well, I mean I always go back to the same story. So I knew it from a from Afar because everybody in the country knows Kentucky Louisville. Right, It's just it's I mean, I don't know, it's it's one of the iconic rivalries in sports. Right. And and then I just go back to Bill Kiteley. I mean, I've told this story so many times, but it's Coach P's story. But you know, uh, and it just is I heard the story before I ever got here. And then of everything I experienced in this rivalry, in these games and from our fans and and and personally, there's never been an experiencer story that's captured exactly what this is in my heart better than than Coach. Then then then then mister Kylee, you know, slumped down in the shower, uh, tears stream and I asked before the game, feeling the pressure? Right, And it's a great thing and we're really blessed to be a part of it, and it matters, it matters, and so we're excited about it.
Speaker 4: There you have if that was both Pat Kelsey and Mark Pope discussing this this rivalry of course, this matchup and their relationship with one another. And I do think, just like I said, when it comes to the fans, like right now, we find Mark Pope to be pretty hard to dislike, at least I do it. I know I'm not alone. Same thing Kentucky fans are saying about Pat Kelsey. But once you have the game tomorrow and your team is the loser, which maybe it's Louisvill maybe it's Kentucky, we'll see. They don't really have to do anything or appear to be unlikable. I just think losing to them will automatically because of what this rivalry does. It'll make it to where you can, you know, find them a little easier to dislike and it won't be as forced. But tomorrow afternoon it's happening. And again I don't think Louisville will win. I don't expect them to, but it's not like I'm thinking they got to go out there and pull off the biggest upset in the world to get it done. So maybe maybe we end up celebrating as Louisville fans tomorrow. We shall see, all right, this is Coffee and Company we are feel about. Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety