Speaker 1: Hi, I'm your host, Doctor Lorie, and welcome to Universally Unique, Exploring the neurodiverse world of the extraordinary. This podcast foster's curiosity and understanding about neurodiversity while empowering individuals with tools for acceptance and inclusion in classrooms, the workplace, and communities. Featuring shared stories of neurodiverse life experiences, it sheds light on navigating a world not designed for diversity. Universally Unique starts now. Hi, this is doctor Lorie. Welcome to Universally Unique. My guest today is Jessica Papp. Jessica is the mom of a twelve year old named Juliana who was hoping to join us today but was not able to do so, so hopefully we'll get to talk to Juliana in the future. Before we get started, we're going to do three box breaths. I will count us through that. We're going to breathe in for four, hold for four, breathe out for four, hold for four, and start again. So we'll start with one breath breathe in two three four, hold two three four, breathe out two three four, hold two three four, breathe in two three four, hold two three four breathe out two three four, hold two three four, breathe in two three four, hold two three four, read out two three four, hold two three four, finished with a nice sigh. All right, always good to take a few a few breaths. So, Jess, thank you for joining us today. And I would like basically to start if you would tell us about the journey that that you and your family and Juliana have been on.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: So my daughter is twelve now, but our journey with her kind of medical issues started when she was about three to four years old. Before that point, she was just a very typical, happy, bubbly three four year old, and we noticed a really like sudden acute onset of very severe OCD symptoms. And to see that in a four year old was very like jarring. So some of the things we saw were like excessive handwashing and just never felt clean. She would tap, she would tap out different patterns on her fingers and again, this little sweet girl, and she would just cry because she never felt like she was clean enough or doing things enough, or maybe there were bugs somewhere. So after about maybe three or four days of this, we brought her into the pediatrician, just her regular pediatrician. Before this point we had we really hadn't had any big health issues other than we had had a few like rashes, diaper rashes and things like that that were long term, but other than that, she had been very healthy. When we got in there, the doctor was concerned. She saw some of the symptoms we were talking about, and at that point she said, there's two options that she thought and one was a brain tumor, which would have been very troubling obviously, and she said the other thing is called pandas and pandas she immediately told me most doctors won't recognize this diagnosis yet. It's still pretty controversial, but basically she told me it has to do a strip, and so she at that point I asked her to do a strep test to see She said we could start there, and it immediately came back positive. So it was a relief right away in that it wasn't something like a brain tumor, and we had kind of hoped that as soon as that strip was treated it would go away. So for a standard strep case, typically the kids will have a sore throat and they'll go or maybe a fever they'll go to the doctor get five to seven days antibiotics. So they gave Juliana five days antibiotics and we saw like a sudden turnaround, like day two three amazing, and we were like thrilled. But after the antibiotics ran out, we saw this sudden uptick again in those OCD symptoms. So we went back and the doctors said, you know, we understand that this is frustrating, but there's nothing we can do because at that point they would swab and it would be negative because of the antibiotics. It had treated it enough. PANDAS stands for Pediatric autoimmune neurological disorder associated with STREP. And so I'll be honest, I don't love the name PANDAS because people think it's like this cutesy little thing, and if you say it, it even has a little bit of like a misunderstanding by people because it had been a controversial thing. So a couple people I know that their children have it, they just refer to it as autoimmune encephalitis, which is basically exactly what it is. So so you say PANDAS and people are like, oh, what's that you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's like a fairy tale, Oh it's so cute. Yeah, lovely, No.
Speaker 2: And so we started this path where the doctor basically said, we can't do anything for you, so what do we do next? They said, you can head over to the children's hospital and go to the er and wait and see if you can find somebody to see you. And so we started. We started that path. First visitor where they really didn't go anywhere. They said she's testing negative. They didn't really obviously didn't know her, so they didn't notice any of the symptoms that much. So we said, okay, we went home. They said kind of like give her tile on all and wait it out and see how she feels right, and that didn't do anything. And the autoimmune side of Panda's basically the strip in her body wherever it is. It's hiding basically from her body, but her body thinks it's in her brain, so her whole body ramps up all of its immune fighting response and it goes up to her brain. So some people even say, like it's like a brain on fire thing where your brain is just being attacked, attacked, attacked, and obviously the strip's not there, so it's the immune systems not accomplishing anything. And so it's just swelling her brain, stressing her brain to the point of her we could even see her pupils would dilate so big that it was like jarring. Oh, it's rible. So you see again, this four year old, little sweet girl. We tried to let it go for a little bit, see if it got better. Her preschool teachers called home and said that she spent thirty minutes washing her hands and when it stop, which is just like absolutely heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at that age, you don't usually see that. I'm actually a little bit surprised that no one thought that maybe she had autism.
Speaker 2: You know, It's it's interesting because I think if it had been maybe even my son or some other kid, they might have gone down that path. But Juliana was exceptionally vocal, and she was very articulate and very emotional and happy and bubbly and loving. So they did kind of say, you know, this could possibly be some other things too, but with the really acute change in her, but then seeing that little bounce back with the antibiotics, we kind of we were pretty confident it was this. I had. I'm a teacher, so in my town where I teach, I knew there was a mom who had had a child with PANDAS, and I really didn't know much about it, but I remembered that he for him, it was he couldn't wear any clothes on his leg, one of his legs and feet and if he if anybody touched it at all, it was horrible pain. And so I called this mom and didn't know her that well, and she spent hours on the phone with me and was just lovely. And that's I think one of the takeaways from all this is to see the support I've had just with people around me, just for no reason other than to help me and help my kid so that I can go help other people and their kid has been really cool. Especially when you go to the doctors and you're hoping that they're going to help you right away and they just don't.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds it's such an elusive situation, and there's not there's not there's not a blood test, there's not like some kind of scan that definitively just defines anything. It sounds like in a way, it's a process of elimination. Because she said the fact that when she had the antibiotics in her system and they were actually working it was like the light switch went down and turned the power off of all this stuff that was going on, and then as it wore off, it went back on. So there's like it's like putting together a puzzle.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, And I think now, so this was eight years ago, maybe, I think, so I've done some kind of they're doing like this very massive questionnaires and stuff for parents and especially parents with one child with it with panas and one without, and they ask a million questions even like what foods they ate and all this other to try to figure out things. So I think hopefully it's going to get better. And I know some doctors. Unfortunately, most doctors that will go down this path with you do not take insurance, so most of those doctors are out of pocket, probably because they can't officially do some of these things under their own whatever umbrellas. So but they'll do like a tighter to see how much strap has been in the body and if it's been in their long term. But a lot of people have strap too, so yeah, so there's no like one test some people say it's OCD, but at four that's pretty rare to see such a you know, significant amount of OCD symptoms and ticks.
Speaker 1: And those usually are woven in with other diagnoses that can be made more clearly.
Speaker 2: And so this was it was frustrating because we knew what it was. We knew we knew with the it's very difficult to get antibiotics period for anyone, and then for a child, especially if they've already tried it once, they're very hesitant to give more. I think we maybe ruined that in the eighties and nineties would just she.
Speaker 1: Would give you an antibiotic for like a little anything, and you've got an antibiotic.
Speaker 2: So we've kind of overcorrected now where doctors are like, Nope, we're not doing that until unless we know for certain we have a positive strap test. I'm like, okay. So after we waited and she was still struggling really bad, and it was just heart Like I said, Lauria, it was just heartbreaking. Yeah, we were just sick to sick to our stomachs. My son was a baby at this point, so a lot of people said, well, she's probably just acting out for attention and things, and we knew that wasn't it. But we brought her back to the children's hospital and we were like, we're not going to leave here without some answers. That day we had I had gone in to get her out of her crib and she wouldn't let me touch her. She wouldn't let anybody touch her, and she said, everybody's dirty, everybody's bugs on them. So it was like this very significant, like almost break and I couldn't get her to let me touch her. She's screaming, and I finally like got a blanket out and I said, can I hold you in the blanket? And she let me wrap her and that's how I got her into the car over to children's. So we call that like a flare for sure, Like sometimes it's way worse. Sometimes that'll drop an hour or two later, and it kind of the swelling might go down a bit. So by the time we were seeing she was doing better. She wasn't hysterical, but she was still stressed out and anxious. But they thought she was manipulative. They thought she was the one doing it. So she and again she was just this happy.
Speaker 1: Sweet Yeah, that's kind I have to say, that's kind of making me angry. Even though we're well past her being four, she's four years old. She didn't throw herself down in the aisle at the grocery store for cookies. Right, there's something different about somebody's going to Yeah.
Speaker 2: Their advice to me was so they said, you probably don't have a lot of experience with little kids, which at that point, I've been teaching kindergarten for fifteen years, which they didn't know. And they said, you know, sometimes kids will do this to get their way. And they gave me the number for like two to one one and said call and they'll help you find some parenting classes.
Speaker 1: And that was it.
Speaker 2: And that was all they did. And I was so disheartened and frustrated at this point. They gave her a teddy bear and we left Well.
Speaker 1: And this is the main children's hospital in the state of Connecticut. This is where, especially in the northern part of Connecticut, everyone goes when they have a kid who has any kind of like major illness situation. So there's other people who use it for more like routine stuff. If you don't live right near it, that's the spot people go to Well.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of what we were, like, we know, we weren't going to drive an hour here for no reason, you know, so and it was it was very difficult. I think, what in hindsight, I do appreciate our pedatrition at least recognizing it could be this thing. But it is disappointing. If they had just been able to then and there diagnose her with that or something, maybe we could have gotten helped faster. I mean, strep is a very tricky illness for thousands of years, scarlet fevers caused by strap. I mean, this is nothing new. I think just this one label for it is new. But basically her brain was just so swollen. So we went and we went down the naturopathic route for a while and things were okay, but because she was a naturopath, she didn't want to do antibiotics. I don't know, so we ended up again four year old five year old. At this point, she'd been sick for a couple of months. She's just very tired, miserable. Antibiotics had she had been on that off that, and so then they wanted her to do like fish oil and a and a CBD tincture and you know, probiotics twice a day and vitamins, and it was just too much.
Speaker 1: She was so sick when we get all that stuff into her and many of those things have a tendency to make your stomach a little bit upset. So if you can't get enough food in her to put those things into her, that's not going to help.
Speaker 2: Right, And she would just she's going to take it, right she I think she almost felt like she was being punished or something too. At that age, you don't understand why do I have to do all these things? You know, I don't want to. So I kind of joined some of those, like Facebook mom groups, and I also reached out to a few other friends had reached out to me to say, hey, I know some he's gone through this or went through this. So at that point, a woman named Susan I talked to her. Her son had been struggling with it for years and so she she hadn't even heard of what it was at the beginning. So at least with that with us, we knew right away it could be this pandace thing. She was really good about saying like, don't don't give up, keep pushing and in the meantime, here's what you can do. And so there was a few things that were would help us. So some sort of anti inflammatory like an I'm profen would help during these flares. It would take her brain swelling down a little bit, ice, chewing ice, as much ice on her palette as possible, like ice, ice cream, ice pops, any of that stuff, and just.
Speaker 1: A little easier to get a four year old ice pod just to take a fish.
Speaker 2: Oil, so I don't even want to take fish oil, you know, and so so ice and then also putting her in like a tepe or cool bath kind of would help sometimes reset. And it wasn't perfect, but it would at least get us to the point of like we could kind of reason with her. And she was very smart, so she understood something was wrong, but she didn't understand why. And so this went on for a very long time. It took us another six months or so to get in finally to see someone at Children's hospital who was a specialist in this, and we saw him once and he was wonderful and we left there feeling like it was a miracle. The best thing he prescribed was antibiotics with like four refills, which was to me, you know, someone who you know, my husband and I are both like rule followers and and everything, and at that point we were so desperate. I was like telling my brother to save his kids antibiotic if they don't use it, just in case, you know. And then we knew that wasn't right, but we also saw her suffering. So at this point, this doctor doing that was just wonderful. He told us to avoid yogurt, which was interesting. We had never thought of that. But one of the one of the strains in yogurt to make it yogurt is strap. It'll say s dot like and then a word.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I wonder if that's why though they in like typical situations, they tell you to eat yogurt when you're on antibiotics to stop used infections. But it obviously has the wrong effect on her right, so that wasn't her favorite food you.
Speaker 2: Want to buy. I never thought i'd have to punish my kid free and yogurt. She loves yogurt still to this day. She'll beg us, beg us and beg us, and so we'll let her have it once in a while and and but we would. It's funny because like at school, they would have it sometimes with the lune that you gogurt things. Or she'd go to my mother in law's or my mom's and she'd come home and be a mess like another, like a total like meltdown tantrum, and I'm like, how much yogurt did you have?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And we would realize like she'd eat four yogurts in you know, two days, and she'd be a mess again. So I'm like, oh no, so.
Speaker 1: She yeah, well, and you would have never known because that wouldn't have been a thing that you would have never you wouldn't have eliminated.
Speaker 2: Never in a million years. Something else they showed us, which I thought was super interesting and you'd be interested in this for sure. They have done now some studies with kids who are a little older, and they would have they take a kid who was like an art a good artist, and they had a beautiful picture drawn. I remember this girl drew like a wedding, like a bride, you know, this beautiful picture. And then during a flare they had her draw, and then after the flare and he after healing, they'd have her draw again. The first picture was beautiful, like very clear and you could see all the details. The one in the flare was almost just random shapes. It was siggles and random shapes. And this is about a ten year old. I believe the third drawing was way better than the one in the flare, but it wasn't nearly as good as that first one. And that kind of hit me that this is going to cause this could cause some major lasting effects. And I don't think people maybe think about that. They think strap antibiotics and you're done. But in this case, it's basically your body's just fighting you.
Speaker 1: So when you use the word encephalitis, I think even lay people recognized that that's something bad going on in your head. Yeah, they yeah, brain swelling is yeah. You know, even if you're not a medical professional, you would go, huh, that can't be good.
Speaker 2: It is night and day when you say that. When you start with my daughter as autoimmune encephalitis, you get a much different reaction than my daughter has PANDAS, and she gets treated very differently depending on what you say. And my best friend is a BCBA, so she's been working with student children for twenty years with needs. Her youngest actually ended up getting PANDAS too. She came to me, it was about five years later and she said, and this is my best friend for twenty years. She said, I'm sorry, She said, I thought you were losing your mind trying telling people to save their antibiotics. She said, I thought you've lost it completely. I get it now, like I get this feeling of helplessness.
Speaker 1: You can see how parents who have children too that we know what the treatment is and maybe for some reason the treatment isn't available. I just I read something that that long ago about parents of children who had cistic fibrosis going, I want to say, to South Africa because they had reverse engineered this fairly new medication that is incredibly expensive changing and life changing, but a lot of people can't afford it, and a lot of insurance companies won't pay for it. So people are like going to like foreign countries and buying things and we I mean, hopefully that's working out for them, but we know, like you know, people were buying medications from Canada and finding out that they were made out of cheat rock, you know, which is really quite frightening. I did do actually an episode probably maybe about four or five months ago with keras at Alino, who is someone who has a daughter with cistic fibrosis and her daughter actually has what was I guess that seems strange to say this the right kind of cystic fibrosis to gain access to this medical to this I believe it's the same medication. And I thought, you know, I mean parents, parents will do anything anything, their children.
Speaker 2: Anything, thousands of dollars of debt. And these mom groups were great on Facebook. But that was another kind of sad thing, as you'd see these parents who flew their kids all over the world and did these big you know, blood transfusions and all these tests and everything, and really what they needed was antibiotics.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and it's frightening to think too when people are you know, and I understand, I mean I don't personally understand, but I understand as well as I can understand not being in that situation why you would try just about anything. But you know, sometimes the things that people are trying are also causing other.
Speaker 2: Issues dangerous that bring you to the wrong road.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're kind of thirty minutes goes really quick. I know, I'm hoping that I'm really hoping we can find a time so that we can be Juliana and you hear a little bit more, but how is she doing now?
Speaker 2: So she's doing okay. What we realized that big first couple of years she needed about six months of antibiotics to get a break through and finally heal that strap, which was very difficult. But after that we worked really hard to try to get the school on the same page with us with a plan. And I'm sure you've talked about five bell four's and PPTs and we've had quite the journey with that as well. But basically, just this year, sixth grade, she was able to get a fibel four in place. We have been pretty blessed and lucky that she has not had strap that many times, maybe five times over the last few last ten years. She did ever tonsils out that helped. We've discovered, like chlorine sets off this immune system reaction and you said the same thing, and so we've we've learned how to avoid certain triggers like that, and we know that sometimes she'll still have a tantrum at twelve that's not her age appropriate, but afterwards she's like, I don't know what that was, you know, So there's still some things left over. For the most part, she's doing really well. She's a very smart kid. She's a very high reader and loves life and she's joyful and you know you, I know you had said something about what's the best thing you've seen or what is the best accomplishment, And honestly seeing her just joyfully playing with her you know, friends at school. And I was able to watch her being in the same school with her this year, just skipping and jumping and laughing and having a really great time with her friends. And that's been just amazing because there was a time we were really worried. So to see her feeling secure and strong has been really cool. But she's a tough kid. She's had a lot of you know, a lot of obstacles, and some were probably caused by this and we're going to be, you know, coming up against them still for a while. But she's very strong and very brave. So I'm really proud of her. I know she'd love to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I definitely want. I'm hoping that we'll be able to schedule a time with the two of you soon so that the two episodes kind of come close together. I did have an opportunity when you and I spoke before the taping to meet her briefly on a video, and she just exudes like such She's just vivacious. She's very vivacious, which is not really surprised because that's kind of mom's personality too. But you know, you can see what draws people to her, which I think is you know, will certainly be her one of her strengths, because it'll probably be times when you know, she does kind of lose her temper a bit, and folks, as they grow to like her a lot, sure they will be more forgiving of the you know one time a year that she kind.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, that's part.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of her little cute girlfriends said to her one day, did you did you take medicine today? You know, whatever it was, Do you need something? Do you need some ice?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: She she started getting it, and I was like, oh, that's pretty.
Speaker 1: I'll get you some ice. I love it and I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna get you some ice. But no, she's wonderful and I do appreciate you asking. And I think if I was starting now, I would just say push really hard and really fast, and don't take no for an answer, and don't feel like you're being difficult. Just just keep pushing because you know your child best.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's the hardest part for parents, when they find themselves having to advocate so hard that they feel like people are like, oh, it's you on the phone, I don't talk to you, or hare comes that parent into that meeting, and you know, and that's not helpful at all for the parent or the child, you know, and we have to understand And what is that expression? You never know? You don't know what somebody else's life is like because it's not your life.
Speaker 2: Exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: But thank you, thanks so much for coming and visiting with me. And we'll work on a time to get Juliana in here, because I think that that would be like super wonderful for for the folks that are listening or watching the podcast to be able to to see her in in her in her full, her full, full blonde hair, blonde hair, you know, that's what comes with being twelve, blonde hair with pink tips. Thank you so but thank you so very much. I'm very much appreciated this. And yeah, tell Juliana we're sorry that we missed her, but we know that she needed to do something else. Yeah, probably at this point a little bit more important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll get we'll get her. You're very happy. Yeah, she's like me. She can't stick to a little bit of time. So that's Okay, yeah, okay, thank you, Thank you so much. Nice to see you.
Speaker 1: It was good to see you too, Emily. Are we good? Thank you for listening to Universal Unique exploring the neurodiverse world of the extraordinary. Join me, doctor Lorie on Transformation Talk Radio every second and fourth Monday at eleven thirty Pacific time, as we continue to explore navigating the world not designed for diversity, For advocacy and support for individuals with disabilities, Let's connect. Learn more about consulting and life coaching at Noopolisticconsulting dot com.