Speaker 1: This is The Other Side of Midnight.
Speaker 2: They're running a strange program, y'all.
Speaker 3: With Walter Sterling.
Speaker 4: Sterling, Sterling, Sterling.
Speaker 5: He's more interesting than curling.
Speaker 6: He's on your radio every night.
Speaker 1: Walter Sterling, Sterling, Sterling.
Speaker 7: Walter Sterling is live on the other side of midnight for all you midnight misfits.
Speaker 3: Sterling, Sterling, Sterling.
Speaker 6: You dial, you won't be twirling when Walter Sterling's on your radio.
Speaker 1: It's the other side of midnight.
Speaker 5: Eddie Arrigan, Eddie Dragon, a broadcaster from New Mexico, a great friend of the show, a world-class broadcaster whose voice is way better than mine. Eddie Dragon has information about Dolly Parton's passing, a horrible story about a great life. Eddie, welcome to the other side of midnight.
Speaker 2: Walter, good evening. Thanks for having me. Yeah, wall-to-wall coverage. every channel, every newscaster, every memory that can be cast about Dolly Parton. And it is kind of crazy how we have this, you know, collective consciousness of when an iconic figure, you know, passes and we need to pause for just a moment because tonight's story is about death memory and the possibility that that consciousness may be bigger than we understand, not just on the TV, not just on the radio, just everywhere, right? It's omnipresent. But on a day like today, this hits differently. Dolly Parton, 80 years young, died today, according to statements from her family and representatives. She was a global music icon, songwriter, storyteller. Through efforts such as the Imagination Library, a presence in the lives of people, she would Never personally meet, but yet she's had an impact on so many people. You and me, Walter, right? We know her songs. I mean, 50 number one hits. I mean, think about that. That's kind of crazy. I mean, reports say she died in Nashville after a brief battle with cancer, surrounded by loved ones. Her last post was just four days ago. But maybe the strange thing about famous people, Walter, dying is that we resist believing it, right? We can't believe that she's gone. Um, not because her fame makes anybody or anyone immortal for that matter, but because certain people become part of the wallpaper of our lives, how we look at them, how they, you know, weave themselves into our lives. And Dolly really felt permanent, right? She was iconic. That's what we get, you know, like a song you could always turn on like that bright voice that you would hear. I mean, it still sounds as young as when it was first submitted from her mouth. I mean, think about this. You will always be somewhere out there laughing, singing, reminding us to be kinder, braver, and maybe a little bit more fabulous as she was. And then the news comes. And for a second, we say it's just not possible, right? But it is possible. And that's the one thing none of us gets to outrun. Death gets us all. Which brings me to a story that lives in the soft candlelit corners of the internet, the kind that you hear at two in the morning right now here, the other side of midnight when the house is quiet, phone is glowing in your hand, and you begin to wonder whether death really is a door, a gateway, or merely a wall that we have not yet figured out how to see through, right? This is one of those stories. And it begins back in 1980. A psychiatrist, which I know well, named Dr. Brian Weiss, And this was not some sort of strange fringe character out there in some robe taking appointments between crystal sails and moon water blessings or any other sort of mystic stuff. This was a Columbia-educated Yale Medical School, conventionally trained. He became the chairman of psychiatry on Mount Sinai, just down the street here. And this is the man of charts, diagnoses, medications, evidence, the kind of doctor who probably heard the phrase past life and immediately reached For the nearest exit. I mean, he didn't believe in that. Past lives?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What is that? Shirley MacLaine type of thing. Reincarnation. Messages from beyond. There's probably people summoning Dolly Parton's spirit right now. Souls bouncing around through history. Where are they at? What are they communicating? What are they trying to tell us? And he probably said, no, thank you. Not on this treatment plan. And then came a patient for him. And it was written about in a book. Many lives, many masters. And Weiss referred to her as Catherine. That was not her real name, of course. But he wrote that she was a young woman suffering from anxiety, panic attacks, all the kind of dysphoric and anxiety-driven stuff, panic attacks. Just think about that, right? Darkness and choking and death. And for 18 months, he said he treated her with ordinary psychotherapy. And by his account, it was not getting them very far. So he tried hypnosis, right? Some people believe in it, some people don't, but he went there not to contact the dead, not to discover Cleopatra, not even to look for past lives, but he wanted to guide Catherine backward toward whatever childhood experience might have been planted in the first seeds of those fears that were driving that anxiety. And he asked her to return to the origin of her symptoms. And Catherine began speaking She was no longer in Miami. She was no longer Catherine. According to Weiss, she described herself as a woman named Aranda, living in a village 4,000 years ago in 1863 B.C., and she got everything exactly right. She described a flood, a wall of water, panic, destruction. And right there, sensible people may want to hit the brakes on all this. Like, whoa, wait, you're from another life? You remember B.C.? What? A skeptic hears this and says, yeah, I heard it somewhere else. Imagination, symbolism, a dream state drama, a half-remembered movie maybe, or, you know, the unconscious mind is creating a little theater and hypnosis. May make the, you know, curtains rise. You may start to think about other things. But this is not an unreasonable response. But Weiss, the psychiatrist, said it was his first response too. And after session and session and session, Catherine returned with more supposed lives. different eras, identities, sexes, names, voices. And while all that was happening, Walter, her symptoms reportedly began to ease. The fear of water, the panic, the nightmares, because she was going back into her past lives. Did that prove that she had lived before? No. Did it prove that hypnosis provides a shortcut to some sort of ancient memories? Of course not. I mean, no. But in his telling, it was enough to make a deeply skeptical psychiatrist wonder whether he was seeing something that did not fit neatly into any of those medical charts because he was a practical man. So he wrote during some of these sessions that she, Catherine, seemed to move beyond all the alleged past lives into what she described as the, quote, space between each of those lives. And her voice would even change. Her manners changed. She said beings she called the masters were speaking through her, and they were. And the story takes a real turn from unusual to deeply personal because according to Weiss, those masters began offering information about him. Private grief, personal details, matters connected to his infant son who had just died a few years earlier. Details he claimed Catherine had no ordinary way of actually even knowing, and she was nailing all of it. precisely. And that was the moment that the story completely changed because you can go back and remember floods or histories or, or hear any of these things, but you know, the information that are aimed directly at the actual doctor himself, information tied to his private loss, this is the kind of thing that can shake a person's certainty right down to its foundation. And so the questions arrive quickly and are answered even more quickly because the Catherine unconsciously picks up clues from Weiss. Right? Did she know this? Did she hear anything? He said no. His expressions, his tones, his body language, something mentioned and nothing. Did the hypnosis unleash some sort of powerful symbol?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: Could it have been some sort of cryptonesia, which is forgotten information absorbed long ago from books?
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: But Weiss encountered something more radical. Something suggesting that consciousness is not simply a flickering electrical event trapped inside someone's skull, but as a collective consciousness. Something that continues, something that remembers. And Brian Weiss went on to write many books, conduct workshops, and become one of the best known advocates of past life regression. And believe it or not, this is a growing field. And his work has fascinated believers, intrigued curious people who are very interested. And now it's become even more scientific. And mental health professionals are now going into this, Walter, as a real field of study. Because this type of criticism that was out there is no longer criticism. It's actually a field of study of thinking that people are living multiple lives over many, many years. Generations, centuries, eons even. So the memory under hypnosis is not a courtroom quality recording, and any suggestion can save any sort of recollections of this. But to wrap this up and to look at this as something as a field of study going forward, maybe Dolly, maybe us, maybe this isn't our only life that we're living. Because now this is a real field of psycho... analysis studying in this field and who knows we might be evoking more Dolly Parton in our future who knows if Dolly is just passing through us or if you know Dolly is you know dead dead dead it's all up to I guess the eye of the beholder but this is a real scientific field of study now so for those of you who think Dolly is dead maybe she's not.
Speaker 5: Eddie Dragon owner of a radio station in New Mexico, a brilliant broadcaster, alternative information theorist, metaphysicist. One of the last things that Nikola Tesla believed was that our brains weren't just receivers of information, sounds, sight, memory. We weren't just receivers. We were also transmitters. And the concept of the law of attractions is based on our brain's ability to transmit desire, hope, fear, and probably the ability for us to transmit information generation to generation. There have been many experiments with lower form animals where they were able to test, here's the earthworm today, and we'll do this and this with the earthworm, and then the next generation of earthworms knows what that one knew, and there was no other place for them to get that information. And I suspect it has a lot to do with our willingness to receive and our willingness to transmit and to be heard. And then there are other people who are just too busy. They don't meditate. They can't get into that trance. They can't do that. But it could also be the vibration under which you're born, how you manage your life, how you treat other people. All of it sets up our receptors to... the psychic world around us.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt that there's a broader consciousness, Walter, and we are learning from it, but it's beyond our ability to actually comprehend. And the fact that it's there and we have faith and that we believe in it, I think is sort of this salvation. That's where miracles happen. That's where salvation maybe for humanity actually exists. And, you know, Tesla was on to something, maybe one of the most brilliant minds of all time.
Speaker 5: Of all time. Now, one of the things you'll remember, you'll realize is that when a friend of yours or a close person to you dies, you think about them a tremendous amount during the days and weeks right after they died. And you're walking down the street, you're walking into a room and you think you see them. You'll see somebody on the sidewalk. They look just like them. You hear their voice. Your cat moves in a new way. The dog starts barking at nothing. The energy. that that person had, the energy that that person puts out into the world is still there. And we don't understand it. We don't know how it works. Eddie Aragon, New Mexico, great report on Dolly Parton.
Speaker 1: The Other Side of Midnight with Walter Sterling. It's The Other Side of Midnight with Walter Sterling.
Speaker 6: There's an old guy who's on the air and they call him Sterling. The bosses hired him on a dare and they call him Sterling. Kind of hip, kind of odd, Sterling. Kind of smart, kind of strange, Sterling. A different show that's here to stay and they call it Sterling.
Speaker 5: The Other Side of Midnight, a most original program. Lesbians in space, space, space.
Speaker 4: The Other Side of Midnight.
Speaker 7: So we shall begin this lesbian event as we begin all lesbian events with the singing of the Lesbian National Anthem.
Speaker 3: Put your hands over your sports bras.
Speaker 7: I drive a Subaru, donate to dog rescues, have arm tattoos. outdoors in hats and cargo shorts with our ugly shoes. My shoes are comfortable. My purse is functional. It has Burt's Bees. My arms are always flexed. I stayed friends with my ex because we share.
Speaker 5: Walter Sterling and you at 800-848-9222. 800-848-9222. Introverts, extroverts, and ambiverts. People who like to be alone but derive energy from being with others but are perfectly happy being alone. They don't need to be with others. Whereas extroverts need to be with other people. This is our time. This is who you and I are. This is the only time of day where we get to be honest with who? Ourselves. You want to be alone? I don't care. Be alone. Have a good time. Nobody's going to say to you, why don't you come on outside? Why don't you come out with us? Never do introverts say to extroverts, you should stay inside. Don't bother to come out. No need to make friends. Just stay inside.
Speaker 2: It's all right.
Speaker 5: Introverts never say that to extroverts, but extroverts, boy, they think we should get out there, meet some people. It's a beautiful day. Why don't you get out and enjoy the day? No, you don't understand. I'm alone in my room. I am enjoying my day. I'm left-handed. I don't have to make any adaptions for you, a righty, as long as I'm alone in my room. When I'm alone in my room, everything's fine. It's like the Beach Boys song. When I was a kid, I thought the Beach Boys song, In My Room, was a happy song. It was well into my 20s that I realized, God, it's a very tragic and sad song. My 14-year-old daughter has apraxia and autism, and she spends hours alone in her room. She's very happy in there. She's with her cat, her iPad, her iPhone, her Zoobs. Do you know what Zoobs are? I'm not even going to begin to explain it. No, no, not because I don't think you can handle it like a UFO, because if I described it, you'd be like, really? Yes, she has hundreds and hundreds of zoobs, and her best friend, who's a little bit like her, together they play with the zoobs. But she'll lie on her bed like a princess, look on her iPhone, look on her iPad, and she's totally happy. And then if you say to her, come on, let's go see these people, if we have to go see some people, She can't do anything more than one social event a day. She can't do any more than that. That's it. But again, the extroverts, they always want us to go outside.
Speaker 8: I have decided that I need an emotional support extrovert. Someone who will invite me to things.
Speaker 2: I will go. They will talk to people. I will eat the food and pet the dogs.
Speaker 6: And then we can both go home feeling like we've done something.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't that be ideal? If you and I could have a extrovert wingman, somebody to go with us, get us out, introduce, and do all the talking for us. We don't have to do anything. We just go with them. Everybody's happy to see them. We don't need to talk. We're going to a party on Friday. You want to come?
Speaker 8: I can't.
Speaker 3: I have plans on Saturday.
Speaker 5: But the party's Friday night.
Speaker 2: I know, but I can't do two things back-to-back on the same weekend.
Speaker 7: So, no.
Speaker 5: I called you yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw that. Twice, actually, you called.
Speaker 5: Watch the ring. Sorry, I don't mean to bother you, but..
Speaker 3: So maybe don't. Have a good day.
Speaker 8: Hey, we're going out to lunch today.
Speaker 2: Want to come?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 3: Thanks, though. Have fun.
Speaker 5: So what's next on the agenda?
Speaker 3: I think we're done here.
Speaker 4: I think we should go home, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to do the same.
Speaker 1: See you later.
Speaker 5: That's the thing. If I'm in a situation, especially at work, and there are a group of people saying... hey, we're going to go to lunch now, Walter, you want to come? The answer is always going to be no. It's very hard to explain that to extroverts and to normies. It's hard to explain why the answer is going to be no. Easy to interpret it as he doesn't like us or he's a big deal or he's arrogant. or he thinks he's the smartest person in the room. No, it's not that. It's that I am physically and emotionally challenged, and maybe you are too, to hang out with a lot of people for a long period of time. And what they have found in studying introverts is that after about an hour and 45 minutes, we're done. If you and I are at a party for more than an hour and 45 minutes, we're really done. And then something happens. Then Dracula comes out after an hour and 45. If I'm there too long, I will start to turn on you. I will start to turn on the situation. And those canapes that I really liked, all of a sudden I'll go, you know, these are cold. Why are you serving these? Or why'd you invite Joe? What the hell's with him? And all of a sudden I will find problems with the social situation. Problems because I'm an introvert. And at some point, I need to escape the social situation. I need to get out of the social situation because I can't handle anymore. My ram is full. My circuitry is full. And my feet hurt like hell. Usually, I have found that left-handedness goes with flat-footedness. This is a lethal combination when it comes to being social. And I'll see people who are extroverts at parties, social situations. And as time goes on, they get more and more happy. They get more and more expansive. They get more and more part of the event. I don't envy them. I can't begin to envy them because I can't do that. You and I are on the radio where? In Chicago. That's a very big city. On the biggest radio station, WGN.
Speaker 6: Midnight Misfits, Walter Sterling, the other side of midnight.
Speaker 5: And you and I should talk at 800-848-9222, 800-848-9222, 800-848-9222. Lesbians in space, space, space, the other side of midnight. Do, do, do, do, do, do.
Speaker 3: Something really weird happened with Una.
Speaker 1: Tell me everything right now.
Speaker 7: I don't even, like, I really don't know if I can, like, explain it.
Speaker 8: Try.
Speaker 3: It was like, her faces were, like, so close to each other.
Speaker 5: Like, I could feel her breathing on me.
Speaker 2: Okay, hot.
Speaker 3: And then she touched my thigh.
Speaker 8: Ah, okay.
Speaker 4: So she's in love with you.
Speaker 9: No, because that was it.
Speaker 3: Like, nothing else happened.
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 5: And it's so confusing because I can't figure her out.
Speaker 3: I can't, like, tell what she's thinking. And it's driving me insane. But at the same time, I'm like, dude, why would she touch my thigh like that?
Speaker 5: No, 100%. 100%, actually.
Speaker 6: The biggest all-night show.
Speaker 3: On American radio.
Speaker 5: Now, here's Joaquin. Joaquin, a truck driver. Are you an extrovert or an introvert?
Speaker 4: Walter, my friend, I'm a weird combination of both. I definitely do like going out like I do karaoke and whatever else. I do like hanging out with people, but I also don't mind those times when I'm alone and I'm doing something. And the time that I'm a real introvert is going down the road in the middle of the night. And then you get that person that for some reason feels the need to stay 10 feet away from your vehicle, you know, because they don't want to be alone. I just want to be out there on that open road all by myself.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that that's always been one of my most annoying pet peeves. You just want to come back and forth to work down to Allentown and Pennsylvania Turnpike. Oh, my gosh. Middle of the night, plenty of open road, and some idiot just has to decide that they want to drive, you know. They just want to pace you somehow, you know. So, yes, I'm a combination of the both of them. And I also used to love sitting in a car. I had a 1940 Chrysler Plymouth, all original. And at night, I used to love sitting in that car with my cup of coffee and a cup of bourbon. But, you know, I got to ask you a question. You have a loving, much like me, a loving wife who takes care of all your needs. When she takes her daily trip over to Target to get paper towels, can't she get you a jar of Duke's mayonnaise and a container of pretzel rods? Because I got a business idea for you. Just think about this. Mayonnaise company has their sterling blend of mayonnaise. Pretzel company maybe has Joaquin's extra thick, extra salty pretzels, right?
Speaker 2: And then..
Speaker 4: After your listeners get, you know, cholesterol issues, you can get the pharmaceutical company to advertise on your show. And then you can get the legal company to advertise on your show. So right there, you've got four sponsors. Do you think it happened?
Speaker 5: Do you have a trucking story for us, Joaquin?
Speaker 4: I do, Walter. Yes, I do. As a matter of fact, I like to work in innuendo. So tonight's story is going to be about pussy in the truck. So anyway, at one point, you know, me and my wife, you know, she, she traveled, she loved traveling with me, you know, and we're going down, we're going to Texas and we had this cat actually. And this cat just loved to lay on the dashboard of my, it was my cab over truck, you know, um, my cab over came with aerodyne and those catches for some reason, love to lay on the dashboard and sun itself there. And I got devious. I turned the windshield wipers on and all of a sudden this cat would jump in the air and, I did this a number of times. Eventually, sooner or later, the cat flying would kind of be like laying there looking at me like, okay, you idiot. I get it now, you know. But it was the funniest freaking thing.
Speaker 5: Oh, he got disconnected? Oh. All right. 800-848-9222. 800-848-9222. The challenge of being an introvert. The special challenges of being an introvert. It's an unusual thing to be. Because... inevitably, whatever company you and I work for, whether it's big or small, the person who runs it, owns it, leads it, is an extrovert. In order to gather investors, employees, partners, they kind of have to be an extrovert. And then they say really horrible things like, I like team players.
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 5: Because I'm not a team player. I'll obey your rules. I'll do what you ask. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to sit with other people And come up with brainstorming ideas. I can't really help you with that. That's not what I'm going to do. All right. Let's you and I talk.
Speaker 8: 800-848-9222.
Speaker 5: 800-848-9222. One of the most vicious and to me terrifying conspiracies is Agenda 21. Agenda 21. Now listen to this. Because when I first learned about this two days ago, I started doing a lot of homework because I couldn't believe it. Agenda 21 is the name of the UN-published white paper, United Nations-published white paper, produced after the Rio Socialist plan for a sustainable world. Not sustainable garbage, beverages, wood. No, no. A sustainable world in the 21st century. The Earth Summit was billed as an environmental issue Facing Mankind and the Blueprint for a Sustainable 21st Century. The Future of Mankind, where the U.S. Constitution, American national sovereignty and constitution eliminated and replaced by a Marxist world government controlled by a powerful cartel. American sustainability of the environment and creating a more equitable world are thought to be income redistribution, applying impossibly restrictive regulations that destroy deinstitutionalization of America and Western Europe through international trade organizations. All right, here's the bullet points. Under Agenda 21, many American activities are listed as unsustainable. Under Agenda 21, many of the things you and I do right now are listed as unsustainable. They include all private property ownership and rights. What does that clown mayor in New York City want to do? He wants to get rid of property ownership and rights. All forms of crop irrigation, pesticides, commercial fertilizers, except where approved. They want to get rid of crop irrigation. That means they want to kill the crops. Livestock production and most meat consumption. They want us to live in a vegetarian world. They want to get rid of meat consumption. For us, I suspect they will be eating filet mignon. Privately owned vehicles, personal travel, that's got to go. Burning of fossil fuels for energy production or personal vehicular travel. Single family homes in suburban communities, they have to go. Most forms of mineral extraction, mining, public lands, timber harvesting, that has to go. Dams, reservoirs, golf courses, ski lodges, vacation resorts. The permanent human population needs to be reduced by fewer than 1 billion people. It has to be reduced by fewer than 1 billion people. That is the goal of Agenda 21 for now. Get rid of 1 billion people now. Shortly after his inauguration, George Bush became part of the President's Council on Sustainable Development by executive order. It became federal policy within the administrative branch. He effectively bypassed Congress and, through high gear, forever changing the mission of the federal agencies from serving the people Mission 21 was never ratified by the Senate as required by law. 95% of all federal regulations are on target for American sovereignty. Well, that's the deal. The Agenda 21 wants to eliminate 1 billion people on Earth with the goal of making Earth itself sustainable. This works on the assumption that that the population of the world today is not sustainable. Where's that research? Because if you and I drive through Montana, Pennsylvania, all of Canada, there is plenty of land, plenty of resources, no problem. Where are there problems? In India. Move the people out of India. Too many people in India. Don't kill them. Don't make it smaller by a billion. But recognize the fact that maybe they should be able to find some more land for these people. And don't do it on purpose. Say, listen, here's an incentive. It'll be great if you could move here. Here's $ 100, 000. Agenda 21. A major initiative by the United Nations to make the world sustainable. This is terrifying to me. Paul, you're on the other side of midnight.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 5: Welcome, welcome.
Speaker 4: Hello, Walter. Hello Paul.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 10: I'd like to speak to Dolly Parton, who passed away yesterday. Do you think Dolly was an extrovert or introvert or what do you think? Dolly Parton, the singer.
Speaker 5: What does it matter, Paul?
Speaker 10: Well, I suppose it doesn't matter really. The artists and talents she gives and she'll be back on the charts again, number one, I should imagine. I think you should, with Singer, you've got the extra bit, haven't you? I imagine you've got to outpour and you've got to be more and more positive, I suppose, more outspoken, I suppose. There were different issues she put in. She wasn't giving a few views about politics, I don't think, and she kept quiet on that stage, I believe. And I think that's how it's going to be. But if it's a bit... I suppose I could be outspoken, but I wouldn't be outspoken in public, I don't think. Or there'd be a debate of some sort. I don't know. It's hard to say, really.
Speaker 5: No, I understand, Paul. It makes perfect sense. The fact is that many stage performers are introverts. They're only extroverted on stage. They only come out and come alive when they perform. The rest of the time, they're in the back of the room really quiet. This is true of a lot of performers. A lot of people who entertain us are there for you and me. The minute the stage is closed, the minute the radio show is done, the minute the TV show is done, they're alone. And that's how they need to be to recharge. That's the challenge of extroverts and introverts, that many of the things that introverts do seem very outgoing. They could be baseball players, football players. My gosh, what could be more outgoing than that? But they can't talk off the field. They can't talk off the stage. They can't communicate. They can't go to dinner with you. And it's easy to say, well, that's because they think they're a big star or they're arrogant.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 5: It's that they just can't do it. They give every single thing they have, everything they have to that performance. And once that performance is done, they're cooked. They're done. It's a fascinating thing. 800-848-9222, 800-848-9222. But this is the first radio show, the first thing you and I are going to be a part of, where we celebrate it. We think it's great. We think it's just fine to be who we are. No place else you're going to find this. Every place else you're going to be told, You know, you really should get outside. You should do some more things outside. Why aren't you playing with others? This is the curse of your mother. Why don't you go outside and play now? You're not going to sit in your room all day. You need to get outside. That's what moms do. But then we would really just rather sit inside. Now, what did I want to tell you? Oh, Keith Mortensen, hi. Beryl Kravitz, these are the Midnight Misfits. Welcome to the other side of midnight. I have a robust list of Midnight Misfits. If you want to become a Midnight Misfit, that's easy. Go to the website, waltersterlingshow.com. waltersterlingshow.com What's this? 800-848-9222 Yesterday we were talking about things that really annoyed me. There are certain phrases that certain activities that bother me. I don't want to hear about, let's unpack this. Could we unpack this right now? Let's look at it a different way. I don't want to hear that. I don't want to watch anybody eating, drinking matcha. Do not order matcha when I'm around. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: What is that? I don't understand why I have to use a shaving brush to make a drink. It's kind of weird. If it's a busy day, a hot day, and we're in line to get ice cream at a good ice cream place, do not say, can I get a sample? No, you can't get a sample. The answer is no. There'll be no samples. If I'm behind you in line at an ice cream parlor, there will be no samples. I was behind this woman the other day. She ordered multiple samples. Oh, well, that's very interesting. Completely oblivious to the fact that, no exaggeration, there were 20 people in line behind her waiting for her to Have a sample. Let me just try this. And then looking at their eight-year-old and saying, hey, Susie, do you want some of this? Do you want to try some of this? Why don't you try something new? Do not try something new, Susie, when I'm standing there.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 5: Catherine Collins, Barry Glick. Hey, Barry. Bill Buckingham, Charles Dempsey, Wyatt Sharp. Hi, Wyatt. Sophia A., Drew S., Robert Young, Michael Leon, Mike Gull, Kathy M., Keith Mortensen, Mark Zaza, these are a few of the Midnight Misfits. Welcome to the other side of midnight. Kelly Martinson, Bill Buchanan, Charles Dempsey, Rhonda B. These are the Midnight Misfits, part of a very special group of people who work the great shift, the first shift. That's us. There are so many problems in our daily life when we have to deal with retail. Just so many. What am I looking at here? Okay. I work for John Katsimatidis, and I work for Margot Katsimatidis, and I work for the Red Apple Audio Networks. And I was thinking about this company for the few minutes before I came on the air tonight. And I have said to many, and the tricky thing about this is it just sounds like I'm kissing butt. Now, if you knew me at all, you'd know a couple of things. You know, I'm from New Jersey. I am left-handed. I was raised by a tough cookie. My mother was a world-class mom, no complaints, but she was tough. And she taught me to be very cynical and very leery of anybody that I met. And she taught me, I wasn't born with this, she taught me how to size up people fast. And it has served me well. Because of that, I have made mistakes when hiring people in terms of their skills, but never in terms of whether or not they're honest, good people. And also, she gave me the confidence to hire people who are smarter than me. The best thing a person can do, I have found as a manager, listen, I've run startups, venture startups, private startups. I've run huge divisions in real companies that you've heard of. Any type of company you can imagine. I've been responsible for running whatever, hiring a lot of people. The smartest thing that a manager can do is two things. I was taught this. Two things a manager can do that's really smart. One, the title does not come with knowledge. Whatever your title is, it's your job. It came with no information. It gives you the opportunity to be a student, to learn everything you can about that title for the rest of your career. Whatever you need to learn That's what the title gives you. It brings no knowledge. The worst managers are the ones who think, well, I have this title now, and therefore I know everything that Jack Welch knew. No, you don't. You have the opportunity to learn everything. Jack Welch at General Electric knew, and then hopefully not repeat his mistakes. What a horrible guy. Oh, God, the business people, they deified him. There was nothing worse to deify. Anybody who comes in with the nickname at General Electric of Neutron Jack, Why was he called Neutron Jack? Prophets? No, he fired thousands of people. Really? That to me is a great failure. You fire thousands of people, you have failed. The title doesn't come with knowledge. And the other thing is hire smarter. Whatever the job is, hire people who know much more about it than you do. Then you get to learn from them and You don't have to work as hard. Oh, they have it handled. I don't have to worry about them. They know this job. They got it down. They've done it for a long time. Those are the best people to hire. The ones who are so smart and know so much more than you do that they have it handled. Many managers are threatened by that. And that's too bad. The opportunity to hire someone who's a lot smarter than you about something And learn from them. What a gift. What a terrific thing. Because in the words of Jack Benny, and this is where a lot of managers forget. Jack Benny, great comedian, right? He had a CBS primetime television show. And one of his friends noticed it. He said, you know what, Jack? You have a one-hour show. And on your one-hour show, you have singers, dancers, other comics, puppeteers, ventriloquists, jugglers, all these other people you're on for maybe years. five minutes of your show, Jack. You're on for, like, maybe five minutes of your show. And Jack said, yeah, but it's still my show.
Speaker 6: The biggest all-night show on American radio.
Speaker 5: The Other Side of Midnight, Walter Sterling, Red Apple Audio Networks.
Speaker 1: The Other Side of Midnight with Walter Sterling. The Other Side of Midnight with Walter Sterling.
Speaker 6: The people of Walmart on the other side of midnight.
Speaker 8: Jonesboro, Arkansas. Yeah, it's the home of Walmart, the corporate headquarters of the world's largest corporations and really the corporation that put Walmart on the map. And I like that. His name, Michael Vincent Coleman. Not a kid, 43 years old, and Coleman is now facing charges of first-degree murder, three counts of criminal attempted homicide, second-degree battery, killing or injuring an animal used by law enforcement, fleeing, resisting arrest, and also having sex. 27 and a half grams of meth suspected meth and perhaps some cocaine and uh and i think that guy is not a good friend anybody's willing to hurt somebody that's a bad thing all the way around walmart management alerted uh jonesboro police officer working off duty security they wanted a man in the in the East Highland Drive store, later identified as Coleman Band, for prior things like shoplifting. You know, he must not be much of a drug dealer. If you're also shoplifting, that means your drug dealing hustle is not that good. From what I understand, even though I do not have personal experience doing this.
Speaker 5: Right, Walter?
Speaker 9: Maybe?
Speaker 7: Maybe.
Speaker 8: I don't tap. I'm good, I think. I've never dealt meth or coke or drugs, but from everything I've seen, that's a nifty way to make some money. The deal is, if you get busted, you go to jail. It's a risk-reward type of thing. If you're not making money at it, give up the drug dealing. It's not good for you. Driving over people, random sweet people... At your neighborhood Walmart, not good either. I go shopping at Walmart. I was there the other day. It was great. The people were super. And you look at the innocents, wide-eyed children, grannies going around circles like a Roomba. That's what makes Walmart special. Michael Vincent Coleman, likely going to jail, probably guilty, but we probably can't say that. So he's innocent until all charges are proven. For the people of Walmart, I'm Velo Wool. Walter Sterling, the other side of midnight, Red Apple Audio Network.
Speaker 6: Become the media. Call 800-848-9222 now.
Speaker 5: Oh, my God. Is that Stephanie? Really? Let's talk to Stephanie at 800-848-9222. Hey, Stephanie. Hey, what's up? Hey, what's up with you? What do you know? What do you have to report? What do you have to report?
Speaker 3: I don't have anything to report, but I'd like you to come to a show.
Speaker 5: Where's your show?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not my show, but if you could come to Peaches in St. Louis, that'd be cool.
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 3: Get out of your comfort zone.
Speaker 5: Yes, but what goes on at Peaches in St.
Speaker 1: Louis?
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Oh, you have to look her up.
Speaker 5: No, I don't have to look her up. You're on the phone. You can tell me.
Speaker 3: Oh, she's a brilliant artist. She's female. Yeah, she's brilliant. I think it'll converge.
Speaker 5: No idea what she was talking about. Do you have any idea what she was talking about? I really don't want them screen screened, but do we talk to them at all before they come on the air? Just to make sure, like, we're speaking English, we're on the same planet. I'm not reprimanding you, Pete. You know I love you, but boy. What was I supposed to do with that? You should come to Peaches in St.
Speaker 4: Louis.
Speaker 5: Is that a 1990s record store? That's the last thing I heard about 1990 was a Peaches record store available in Westwood, California, 800-848-9222, with Walter Sterling. This AOC person, she is freezing her eggs. And she's freezing her eggs, and she's very annoyed that insurance does not cover her IVF treatment. Now, I agree that IVF treatments should be covered by insurance. And I'm not a woman, so I really don't have any opinion about what she's doing, how she's doing it, what she does with her body. It's her body. And that's the relationship between her and her doctor. And I believe anything that she does with her doctor should be covered by all insurance. And I'm thinking how magnanimous that is. And what a good feminist I am. Do you have that recording of her saying these things? Or do I have to do the show from scratch every night? Do you have that?
Speaker 4: Matt? Okay.
Speaker 5: Anyway, so she was saying she's going to freeze her eggs. She's going to keep her eggs.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 5: And then she was complaining that IVF is not covered by her insurance. And I say it should be covered by all insurance. And then I started to think it through. If you're a guy and you have erectile dysfunction and you get Viagra or other medications, no insurance company pays for it. None. What is the deal there? that IVF is paid for by many federal programs, many federal programs, many insurance companies, but not erectile dysfunction medications. And I haven't heard one congressman, I've never heard Brendan Gill pounding, John Kennedy, I've never heard him pounding on the desk and saying, this has to be fixed, why can't this be fixed, why can't men get reimbursed for erections, why? Crazy Talk, Walter Sterling, Other Side of Midnight, Red Apple Audio Networks.
Speaker 9: Thanks for listening to The Other Side of Midnight. If you like the podcast, share it with your friends and listen anytime at wabcradio.com and download the WABC Radio app. Hit that subscribe button on all major podcast platforms. Plus, follow WABC on social, on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and X. See you next time for a new episode so you never have to wonder, what the heck is going on here?