Speaker 1: My friend Stewart. He got weirdly obsessed once with catching catfish, or attempting to catch catfish with his teeth, not with his teeth, with a fishing rod, and.
Speaker 2: Within beat them to death for the fishing rod.
Speaker 1: Within probably a week of him boring us with catfish, his nickname quickly got changed to catman's stew Ah. I just got told by somebody that they said, oh, lovely cover on st this week, and I haven't seen what one they picked.
Speaker 3: Sold on it just so happens, Callum, I have here, what's this?
Speaker 1: I'm really keen to know what picture they picked?
Speaker 3: Oh, there's a Collins catalog. I'll read that cover to cover. Look at that, go to show me. I want to see a little spaniel.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I edited of grass out in the front of the dog's eye in that one? So did you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I never with a little tea? Well I never, So let me just make sure. And it's going to go to the thing because this week's cover cover image was supplied by Callum mciner. Honesty. Finally, that's very good news. Well, anyway, I'll read that Collins catalog with great interest, and.
Speaker 1: On three covers, three covers so far this year, I think six.
Speaker 3: You honestly, you're You're admirable, really.
Speaker 2: Be Presumably they don't know you do this podcast yet. Otherwise that's you know, that's just going to dry up straight away, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 1: Possibly, I'm very professional in these in all of these things.
Speaker 3: Well, hanging hanging around, hanging around with us is probably a downside.
Speaker 1: Actually Amy edits out all the stuff where I'm unprofessional, So I mean.
Speaker 3: Does I never noticed that with.
Speaker 2: A lot on the cutting room floor. Okay, there's at least there's at least four hours from every week that we just get rid of.
Speaker 3: Yes, you see that delightful lady who did all that kitchen disco. What's her name? Mum double barrowed name girl? Kitchen disco, kitchen disco? That really pretty girl? What's her name? The one Sophie ll Aspecster. Yes, you see she said there was murder on the dance floor on Amy's cutting room. There's callum all over.
Speaker 1: I photographed her three times.
Speaker 3: You know what, I'd have done it more than three times. I'll tell you that for nothing, I'd have photographed her.
Speaker 2: She's outside her house. Did she know about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well that's why I wear Can.
Speaker 3: I imagine that a kitchen disco, there's a man dressed as Bungle outside the kitchen window scaring the kids? Was lockdown? Went here again?
Speaker 1: He's here again.
Speaker 3: So what are we talking about this week?
Speaker 2: Richard? We are going to talk about the burgeoning spring, the springing spring, and some other stuff as well. Okay, how about that? Is that a good description? I like that.
Speaker 3: I like these clear and concise instructions spring and other stuff.
Speaker 2: Well everything, you know, other stuff. Just it could it just ties it all nicely into anything in the world or the universe as we know it. I agree.
Speaker 3: I think that, you know, our listenership burgeoning as it is. I think they don't want us to go and dictate them. Most people's lives are heavily dictated either by this dictatorship which we currently live under and the rest of society largely. There is a lot of dictatorship and bullying and generally telling you what to do. I like to think that country Slide is a libertarian space that people can escape into for an hour or for how long we go on for, you know, and feel as one with us in our slightly pickled state.
Speaker 2: Well as I said the other week to the editor of an online writing place that our aim is to one day make somebody actually crash a tractor whilst listening to us. Yeah, I think we've come close a few times. To be honest, I think we have. So it's quite funny. I get all these all these funny little messages from mates of mine, and actually people are really surprised.
Speaker 3: Today I went, we had a load of superb scientists come to the farm cluster to go and talk about a project which we're working on. Means these a proper grown up scientist and they're all saying, I love that podcast. I'm thinking, really, you're proper grown ups. I mean, you know, you actually have like professor in front of your name, and you're listening to this drivel. My lord, this is this is a bit of a worry, isn't it. We must sort of grow up. We have to stop Callum from doing the bunk all outfiting every.
Speaker 2: Week saying all those things he says.
Speaker 1: Every week, You'll never stop me, you'll.
Speaker 2: Never catch me govnor.
Speaker 1: Now never take me alive.
Speaker 2: So we normally do this little what have we done this week? Thing? But like you said, Richard or you you sort of what you've done this week is staring at a hedge, hitting it with a blade, or digging and putting a tree in. Callum takes photos of spaniels and I do stuff I'm not really meant to be talking about at the moment. Sometimes sometimes labradors. Yes, But so we want to try and twist that a little bit. So you've written a thing for Scriye Pound, which I haven't read yet, but all the people that I've told to go and subscribe to Scribe Pound have said to me, this article is bloody brilliant.
Speaker 3: Well if used to read it now, it's right George Brown, who now we all know because we've all appeared on the Guns on Pegs podcast and so and he is was he called the creative director for Scribe a Grand Wizards of the Grand, and he is a top man. I do like him. And he said to me, he goes, do you know what he goes? This is supposed to be a bit that you can say what you want to say. And someone had put on a group somewhere saying have you seen this? And it was the Farmer's Weeklies, TikTok and Instagram feed from The Lammer Show a couple of weeks ago, and the Lammer Show is the Lincoln shere Agricultural Machinery Show basically, and it's full of massive kit because obviously Lincoln shere Is needs massive kit, and it's all heavy arable and vege growing and dah da da dah. So it attracts young farmers, mainly male, who are drooling over these disgustingly big and shiny power for beer moths of tractors and combines and harvesters and all sorts of things. And quite cleverly, the Farmer's Weekly spotted that there was a bit of a recurring theme, and that was the mullet. And they got all these guys who were all there sort of drooling over these tractors and stuff, and all dressed in the identical kit, and got them to fluff up their mullet and toss their hair around like they're in one of those nineteen eighties Timo te adverts and stuff. And it was quite funny. And then I thought about, you know, my son, Charlie, he's got what's called a modern mullllet.
Speaker 1: What's the difference between a modern mullet and an old school retro mullet.
Speaker 3: Well, isn't that a great question? See the other good thing about scripand is you don't just have to write it you then they give you the opportunity to go and read what you've written. And so I tagged on to the end an interview I did with Charlie who's got a moder mullet. Now, a modern mullllet is you know how that the old school one sort of hang like I think Billy Ray Cyrus Circle, nineteen eighty eight, so he's sort of hanging down somewhere down between his shoulder blades. A modern mullet has got it's almost like a sort of rather tame Mehican. So it's very tightly done over the over the ears, and then you've got quite a lot of hair down the back and nearly as much on top, so they look slightly like an alpacker on top.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like the broccoli hair kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a broccoli hair kid. But this you've also got this big fluffy bit out of your back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not it's not business in the front, party in the back like it.
Speaker 2: Used to know.
Speaker 3: It's business everywhere. Yeah, it's except at the sides. No, side business. So I decided to write a piece about the mullet because I had one. I dug out a few photographs of me back in the eighties when I was Charlie's age, and I've got quite long hair at the back. I haven't got the sort of very short front, so it's not the full billy race iris thing. I've got more or less the same front hair that I have now, except obviously now it's a lot grayer. Anyway, it's all sort of hanging down the back, and I thought, do you know what I reckon? There is something here? Because I went to London a couple of days before I wrote this thing, and I walked all the way from South Kent from Clarkenwell to South Kensington, then from South Kensington back to Liverpool Street. It's a long old way, but I'm not going on a tube. They all smell funny and they cost too much money. I don't want to put any money into Sadiq Khn's pocket and I'm going to walk his beautiful sort of day. So I walked about and not one mullet did I see. I mean, I saw some fantastic sights in London, as you always do, because there's so much life is all there. I didn't see a mullet, so this is an extremely rural thing. So I came to the conclusion that the mullet is basically a rural cry for help. It's a rural cry for no, we're still blokey. We're we don't want to drive electric anything. We actually would rather smoke cigarettes. They're all, you know, quite I mean, unreconstructed male is what I would.
Speaker 1: Call them, the rural mallet counterculture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically exactly. It's a counterculture, and I likened them. Then I went over into flights of fancy, saying that they're exactly the same as the cavaliers under Prince Rupert of the Rhine in the English Civil War, who had all this flamboyant dress and flamboyant haircut. But if you went and called them your big girl's blouse, you'd have got your head chopped off, and that they were doing that as a sticking a middle digit up at this puritanism of them. And I believe there's a bit of a puritanism now, which if you actually see these young farmers, that they are the heirs to Prince Ruper. So I thought it's quite an interesting thing. So you know, I'm fifty fire you for something like that now. And I was looking back to try and find some stuff for this in my photo album, and I saw some horrendous sights. I mean, yeah, I mean, so what did you do? I mean, what were you wearing? That was crap? When you were fourteen fifteen?
Speaker 1: I saw your mullet and you look so much like your son as unbelievable. It's amazing when you get pictures when you're like the same age as Charlie and you look basically identical with your mullet. Yeah, yeah, it was interesting.
Speaker 3: So what did you what stupid stuff did you? Were you sporting callum when you were a youthful renegade.
Speaker 1: Being a photographer you also get quite good at photoshop, which means you also then get throwing graphic design projects. So I got given a graphic design project for a hairdressers and instead of paying me in I don't want to swear, but I'm going to any anyway, instead of paying me in cash money, they just said come into the hair into the salon and we'll just fack your shit up. Basically, that's that is the Yeah, I was like, girls might like it cool. So, so I had at one point the whole left side of my hair. I just shaved that all the way round to the back, and then when it grew back, I got it died to blonde, and then when that grew back, well, when that grew out a bit, died back to blonde and then fully pink from the front the fringe all the way round to the back. So like, yeah, that so that was good. Wow, how ago was that last week? Yeah, I've got pictures of me fishing, and then I went I went like a rainbow color. I took like lots and lots of colors. I looked like, yeah, I look like a lesbian. Is what I need to say here? I look like a lesbian. Look this really I was basically was a lesbian.
Speaker 2: You're trying really hard. I'm guessing it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably what eighteen nineteen I was. I got a little a little blue as a picture of me holding a carp and I got a little blue tough hanging out the back of my hat, and it's like, what is that? I look like one of those vegans on Twitter with the blue hair.
Speaker 2: So when I was about eighteen nineteen, I was still playing rugby, and I was fairly normal, and I was pretty boring then and after that I sort of left the team, and then everyone else went off to university, and I decided that I didn't want to because I thought I'd end up with an alcohol problem and a massive debt and I didn't trust Tony Blair. And that's pretty much turned out to be true, although you know, massive debt, alcohol problem remains to be seen. I then started growing my hair, and by the time I was about twenty four, I had hair down to my waist.
Speaker 3: My lord, no, really.
Speaker 2: Really, I had a long ponytail all the way down to my waist. There are photos of me when I joined Mountain Rescue and then I, through various reasons, I ended up becoming in some sort of position of authority on the team, and I was having to do like quite serious news interviews. You know, I'm terribly sorry to inform you that we recovered the body from this quarry on this date and different things, and I'm stood there like, oh, chinky Jesus.
Speaker 3: Chunky Jesus. I thought more like Odd needed a raven. I'm afraid he is dead.
Speaker 2: I had quite a boyish, girlish face. I was quite youthful and had long hair, and yeah, it was all it was all a good look.
Speaker 1: I really wanted to believe it was like a sort of like a sexy Viking kind of look. But chunky Jesus and sexy Viking are very opposite.
Speaker 2: Jesus. No, I was climbing then as well, so I was. I was trying to stay as lean as possible because I'm a big lad anyway, so trying to keep the weight down for climbing purposes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do think there's an advert in that though. Chunky Jesus dot com. It's got a certain sort of thing, you know, adverts.
Speaker 2: I was pretending to be a kitchen maker at the time. I was sort of handmaking these oak kitchens for all these farmhouses in the middle of nowhere at the same time. And I'd turn up to these quite plash farmhouses in like Cheshire and Shropshire, and the guy would open the door and you look at me and go, all right, fair.
Speaker 3: Enough, Yes, let's hope your cabinets are better than your hair. Yeah, I mean, do you know it's funny because obviously, well after I left school, I went straight into the army and the elaborate hairstyles were not an option within the Guards. Funny enough, although this is true, they're going back to the old mullet thing. When I arrived at the guard's step, I was sixteen years old and I was the only one to pitch up in a suit. My dad thought it was a good idea, so he bought me a double breasted, pinstriped suit, which I then pitched up. And there's all these other guys who had like come from South Yorkshire coal fields because there are no jobs there anymore, or down from the depressed Deep South West, or a lot of guys in Whales are going to the Welsh Guards. And there's me in my suit and we all sort of got absolutely ashen faced and scared because all of a sudden we diss waved. Our parents could buy all sixteen and go oh mom Croy. And then you get there and there's all of a sudden there's this man who's a sort of lance corporal in the Scots Guards who's bustling about and he's going, hey, he said, there's too guarantees here. Anyone who's got this stupid rest bands on. He goes, they will not survive the guards dipple and of course, as we was, aha were very popular there, wristbands are and you could see the whole bust full of people trying to remove these things. And he goes and anyone with stupid gear haircuts, they are definitely not going to survive the guard's depot. And we just met this very tall Welsh guy who was going in the Welsh Guards who told us, as we're all milling around waiting to get ushered onto buses, that he'd had his mullet permed specially to come to the guards deco. Now you didn't have to do a lot of research into its, like being in the army, that's to know that mullets are probably not in and perming them is a waste of time. And you could see this Scott's Guards going and anyone with stupid hairdoos, they are definitely not And he suddenly catches the sight of this seven foot tall Welsh sort of bloke with a mullet and he goes, oh my god. And we saw him the next day when we all got our haircut, you know, like in good morning Vietnam and around the back of the sides and leave fluffy bit on the top and I think they particularly hacked him. He looked like he'd sort of had the apprentice on the on the flail moa go over him, and they'd had it all taken off. But when I then got to Agricultural college, so another six years after, so i'd then been in the army. Oh my god. So by this point, this is why when Nirvana were quite big and all that sort of stuff, and I thought, right, I'm going to be really cool now because I was suddenly living out my late teens early twenties when I was in my mid twenties, and I just went stupid. But I've seen old photographs of myself and I thought, at the time I looked exactly like k Cobain. Well, no, I look more like No, I look more like that on cocaine. No, sort of Captain Pugwash. I don't know what the hell I looked like, but it was it was stupid. So you know, you've got layers on and checks, and when you go to agricultural collegy, then it was all like you got to sort of walk around looking like that you literally just finished milk, and it looked more like someone had just finished milking me. It wasn't wasn't a good look at all. It wasn't a good look. It wasn't a good look.
Speaker 1: But I need to see this.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, what we're going to have to do is put them on our Instagram thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, you just sent you one on, just sent you a couple of WhatsApp.
Speaker 3: Oh my Jesus, Christ, look at that with the look. He looks slightly like that first one you have sent Callum. If you imagine Hitler and you took his mustache shot.
Speaker 1: I did get a lot of Hitler references.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know there's houses that look like Hitler where they've got sort of the dorma with the dorma.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also got told I I looked like Mark Armond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's definitely a lot of the slightly sort of camp ah. Oh, yes, like he is this chunky Jesus. I haven't got access immediately to these things because I don't have half them ready to hand unless you want to go on the scripud thing. And you can see me with a mullet on the front of my article.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, we'll time the will time some photos to come out with this episode.
Speaker 3: Yes, how about yes, so rural fashions. They've never been good at all in the history of mankind, and they're no better now. But I have tried to excuse the guys who play rugby and are into their farming today with having the silly hair. Not because they're just young and daft and you do stupid things with you your hair and things that when you're young. It's because they're trying to stick a middle finger up to the current authority that they have over them. That's my excuse for them, and I hope they embrace me like a god or Chunky Jesus.
Speaker 2: Chunky Jesus. That's a T shirt.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to get girls well looking like that. Yeah, I have ever.
Speaker 4: This is Amy, the producer of the Countryside podcast As has Become Fashion. We put out a tweet for small rural businesses who wanted to describe their business part way through our podcast. The following is just one of the several who got in touch. This is Hannah from Esthercare.
Speaker 5: My husband and I run a small rural gardening business in West Suffolk. At this time of year, we are predominantly planting hedges trees. We prune a lot of apple trees in orchards. During the summer months, we do garden maintenance, grass cutting, hedge cutting at the right time of year, maintain borders. We also advise on meadows and wildflower areas. So if anyone is interested in that, get in touch. You can find us at stk UK on Instagram's e s t a ci e UK. Thanks very much.
Speaker 3: Well the wonderful series The Detectorists. If you haven't seen it, it's still on BBC. It's all filmed round here and that captures that spit because obviously metal detecting is very popular around here. A lot of people in the villages go metal detecting because we've got so much land and it gets turned over and off they go with their metal detectors. And it's so lovely watching that program because you know full well that you meet all these people around here who are metal detectorists and they're so bored. It's a bit like Whendy and I was in the army and people say do you watch soldier Soldier? And he goes say yeah, is he like that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: And you go and say to the people who are metal detectorists, say, is detectrists like that? And they go, well, I think they got something wrong when they'll go into some technical detail of one of the actual things that go bleep, But most of the time you could see that. Obviously. Mackenzie Crook, who wrote this, had observed metal detectorists for a long long while in released Anglia, and he got it bang on, because as far as I can see, they are they are exactly that.
Speaker 1: The village hall of tedious meetings about buttons to find the table. I bought a metal detector from Ali Express. It cost me about one hundred quid and it is some of the most fun that I've had in years, just going where the field is, go up there and find pennies up to I think I found a pound once.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 3: You found a horde, didn't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a separate, a separate occasion. That wasn't with a metal detector. I just found a load of random old shillings and stuff at the bottom of a tree. That was quite fun. But yeah, metal detecting is one of the most It's a little bit like fishing, like the idea that you're sat next to a riverbank and you're looking and there's something unknown underneath and it could be the fish you've always dreamed of. Well, metal detecting has that same allure. You're going along and you're just like your brain has disengaged from absolutely any stress and worry, your arms swinging around, and all you're thinking about is like thousands of years ago, somebody, you know, a Roman, could be wandering around here of a big hole in his pocket and he could be dropping coins from here all the way to the next pub.
Speaker 2: I've got a relevant book recommendation here, which is Landscapes of Detectorists, and it's a about It's written by two geographers, so doctor Joanne norcov and in a Kieran I think Kieran Keran as how you say his name. But it's not about the show. It's basically about all the stuff that's in the background of the show, and the geography of the area and the shape of the land, and the churches and the historical uses of the land. It's really really good. You'd like it. I'll have a look at that. My friend's got a haunted metal detector.
Speaker 3: Haunted one.
Speaker 1: So this sounds like the setup for a perfect joke.
Speaker 2: It does sound like it, but no, it's it's just it's a metal detector where sure is haunted because every time we I've borrowed it a few times looking for old grid manholes and things out in the field on the driveway, and every time it comes, weird stuff starts happening in it's sort of Poltergei's fashion in the house. So we send the metal detector back and then it starts happening at that my mate's house instead. So he's got a haunted metal detector. We're fairly sure.
Speaker 1: Did he fill it with vector plasm when he was younger?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: I suppose One of the things about metal detecting those is like, like you say, it's a bit like what's it called fishing, is that you're out there and you're absorbed in that thing that I find metal detectorists I speak to quite a few because we see people when we're working in a hedge. You'll suddenly see you use that, And Gordie obviously goes hair courses, you know, and I go, no, No, they're metal detectorists. You can see. And then they're going across and you go over and you don't want to say if you found anything, because I'm sure that is you know, the top three.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's perfect.
Speaker 3: Is the thing that you're going to ask. It's a bit like when you go to an angler, have you caught much? And yeah, caught much? Mate, caught any thing? Hey? And he goes, oh, yeah, yeah, I saw a bloke and he say, no, nothing, I saw was a bloke here last week. He had a thing that was that big anyway. So but I like toalk to them because their knowledge of the lamb, because they pour over old maps and they know huge amounts about very pacific local history of the spot that they're doing, far more so, to be perfectly honest, than probably a lot of the people who sit in the county museums and stuff like this, because they are tramping that land. They're very useful people to know, because one of the things that affects my job isn't just the hedge, it's the soil beneath it. And so therefore do you chat to these old boys and they're going and beeping away out there, they are just just mint. They give me stuff that go oh yeah, and they'll go and give me a little piece on locoated where you know, of course i'm walking across the old line of the hedge, because that was here if you look at the eighteen seventy five map this was it, and they'll pick it up on their phone and you go, well, I never and it, you know, so you're learning all this stuff. So yeah, I like them.
Speaker 2: I like them.
Speaker 1: So some of the things I found. I found a crow tal bell and they're frightfully old. Somewhere around they reckon somewhere. I'm googling it, somewhere around fourteen hundred.
Speaker 3: A croat or bell. So that is like a child's toy.
Speaker 1: Basically, it's just like a It's just like a bell with like some little holes on the side. They're quite they're quite distinctive, and they it's just a bell, literally, a bell, small bell or rattle with a loose clapper that makes a distinctive ringing sound.
Speaker 2: We're not doing the loose clapper joke as well.
Speaker 3: Clapper sorry, loose clapper makes a distinctive sound. That's Kars Starmer.
Speaker 1: So yeah, a loose clapper that makes a distinctive sound. So that's that's basically what that.
Speaker 3: Right. Anyway, Listen, I want to talk about spring because I'll tell you why I want to talk about spring because today I got up and rather than doing proper work, because we had all these scientists coming to go and see Gualdy, I went off and took myself off with this wonderful guy. We have this team of specialist naturalists who come to the farm cluster and they help us to count various species of various things that we have on the farms. So we're trying to create a much tighter database of what we've actually got on there, so we can see the efficacy of the farming methods that we've got for wildlife things like obviously we're doing with hedges. How our woodland management works. You know, when you're spreading this then across six thousand acres, that actually matters a bit because you can go and see what's there and the why. So anyway, I went out with Andrew who's one of the ornithologists and he's currently doing this BTO survey of the overwintered stubbles. What's a BTO and the Big British Trust for Allthology. So how that works is that you have these very set transepts which are a straight line you walk, you then go fifty yards along and then walk back up the field and you just go across and you basically accounting the birds that get up off the stubbles. And when he first did it, he also did these little quadrants of a meter to see what sort of plants were there. And we do count the birds that are in the hedgerows and in the margins and in the cover crops and at the feed rides as well to see what's there. But largely it's to see what's in these stubbles, because the purpose of it is to see We've all been told that overwintered stubbles are far far better for BirdLife, particularly species like you know, skylark, lap wing, etc. That you've got this land that's left as stubble, overwintered, is there and is not plowed, that this is better. Is now proving that this is the case. You know, the theorist has done it, now is doing it. So Andrew did this and we walked up and down, and I hate to say, we did not see a single skylark. I know in the next field I've been watched only a few days before seven fighting away trying to establish a territory. But in the fields we walked up and down, we did not see one single skylark. Now, we did see quite a number of gray partridge pairs, which is a tick in the box. We saw woodcock, We saw lots of other birds in the margins, but not one skylark. But anyway, I was saying, one of the things I'm going to be writing a series of articles for both The Critic and for Scribehound on digging down deeper into the lives of specific species of moth be fly and birds of course that exist on the High Suffolk farm cluster. And I said, but I don't want to go and have all the gaudy ones, the ones that have got the big ticks in the box everyone wants, you know, yes, okay, we all know about Oh look at the red kite. Well, they're mundane and dull. I want the actual ones that are mundane, dull and dowdy. I said, but something is a bit sort of gray and dull, but has got interesting life to it. And he said to me, because you want the dunnock. And I said, okay, why the dunark And he said he goes, well, because he said, the females he goes have multiple husbands and he goes and they're obsessed by allal sex. What you know, Yeah, it was that's what she said. And it's something that I You know, when you're stood in the middle of a stubble field with a gentleman who's ten years older than you, and you've just been doing trying to find knight and girls and skylarks and stuff that you don't, to be honest, expect you're going to have someone saying the Dunnucks sort of have this this sex life. And he explained all about as the sex lives of dunucks, and they lead quite a racy life. And as I was pondering this, I sort of looked around me and I thought, yeah, actually because I sort of hairs boxing. Then out in the field I went to check on a hedge that had laid just for Christmas, and I could see just a little nodules, those pink, tiny nodules of life coming back into it. They will soon bud out, and you'll have these citrus leaves of hawthorne budding out. The catkins are already on the on on the hazel in this laid hedge. And I thought, do you know what, I quite want to see a bit of oral sex from some dunnoks. I'm looking forward to spring. This is what I want to see, and I'd say, you know.
Speaker 2: This has descended in a way I was not expecting.
Speaker 1: Now the female audiences is going to like this, I.
Speaker 3: Feel exactly see do you want do you want to know? Have we got time to talk about what they actually? Do? You see? Because the hen?
Speaker 1: Can you be a little bit more breathy when you do it?
Speaker 3: The Hen Dunnock is quite a girl. What she likes doing is that she thinks to spread the DNA of her of her brood, and to ensure that she gets plenty of male help when she's trying to bring up her young. She doesn't just take one husband, she doesn't take two. She takes at least three. And so therefore she'll st pie. Yeah, it's a party at Dunnock's lady's flat, and so she'll have one, and then he'll fly off, and then the next one comes off, and then he sticks his beak quite sort of vigorously and speedily up her tail end until she ejects. She ejects a poo, which he then removes with his beak, spits it out because he's not weird, and then he jumps on and has a go And then what does the other go at? Well, he mates with her as well, so he's removed set again slowly, so he's I think it's called cloacle removal, I think is what Mark now has told me about it, because I was like, wow, this is amazing, and then he said, have I not told you about this before? And I thought, I think I'd remembered it if you told me about or cloacle cloacle cloaca removal, you know, I would have remembered it if Mark had told me about Dunnock's doing that sort of beastliness. And then another one does it, and it's just basically this monk's chain of of male Dunnock's going at this girl much to her delight and pleasure. And I put this on X and people show me, oh, I've seen that on my bird table. They were proudly doing all. This makes all these various gangs are sort of slightly perverted birders. And so that's why I'm looking forward particularly to this spring. It's not just to see my hedges come into bloom, the sun once more on my face, an ending of the hedge laying season, and then morphing into all my spring and summer work. I want to see. I'm going to take particular interest this year in the lots of dunnocks that I have who live in my garden, and I'm going to watch them and shout out the window. You go, girl at these little hen dunnacks.
Speaker 2: In gorge dunark Cloaca.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's nice. So, Richard, what is your springtime pleasure?
Speaker 2: Springtime leisure is like after doon delight. I really enjoyed watching the days get longer. And so when I used to do commercial foraging back, you know, I've had always had a million jobs at the same time, and so I used to pick plants and send them to Hong Kong and all over the place, and you had to really be on it for what species were starting to come up. Because once you start seeing the hour and leaves in the hedge, then you go, all right, the wild garlic is going to be ready down in the in the valley or wherever, and you can really map that per year. Some years you get really early springs, some you get really late springs. I think last year was quite a late spring from memory, whereas this year I thought it was going to be early, but actually it's been. It's been quite cold. It's like six degrees every day, so it's it's going to be a while before things start to grow again and all the buds of pause, so we might have another late spring. But I've got a weird thing I do. You know, you get these on your phone's there's always an app that tells you that stores your photos for you, and it sends you a little things saying on this day you were doing this, or on you know, memories from a year ago, or I love that.
Speaker 1: Half the time, I only take pictures just because I want to know what this is in two years time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I did have one once, which was on this day you were burying a horse in the backfield. It doesn't sort of specify, you know, you know, whether it's a good memory or a bad memory. But I I like going back a year or two years and saying, okay, what was what were the hedges looking like in mid February last year and the year before and the year before, and you can sort of it's like it's like a pre event trailer almost. You can see Okay, yes, and that's when the hazel buds are going to start coming out. I've got six weeks, I've got two weeks I've got one week and I like watching that slow drip of stuff happening. And there's a quote from and I get to it's from Chunky Outdoor Fun. Stir Ray mears that standing in the standing in a woodland in late winter is like standing in the Albert Hall before an event. About forty five minutes before everyone starts warming up for the the orchestra starts warming up. You know something big is about to happen. It's going to happen in this place, but it's not it's not ready yet. And that is kind of what I feel when I go into the woods at the moment, is like everything's getting ready to happen, but it's not happening yet. So that's what I'm looking forward to, is just watching every week. At some point you'll hit something where every week something new is appearing in the hedge, appearing in the trees. There's a new leaf, there's a new flower. Because I'm a plant pervert, like the BT of bird perverts, I'm a plant pervert.
Speaker 1: What's the first thing to look forward to? Obviously we've had this wild garlic. What's the what's next on the agenda? I mean, the well garlic just gets better and better at this point.
Speaker 2: But hawthorn leaves, for what incredible for a start, they taste really good.
Speaker 1: How do you eat those? Just just as is?
Speaker 2: You can graze on them like a like a giraffe if you wanted.
Speaker 3: Bread and bread and cheese. Is that it's one of its names?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's they're really good. So there's a I think it's a Missus Beaten recipe, but it's like it's may pudding, which is fatty sewity pastry rolled out flat. You put strips of bacon down, interested big handful of hawthorn leaves on the top. You roll it up like a big gem rolypolium, bake it really Yeah. So hawthorn is May as in the mayflower. Yeah, and May May queen and everything like that. And okay, here's my pervert thing. There are there's a chemical present in hawthorn flowers, which is also well, it's present in the human body. It's the smell of a decomposing corpse, or it's part of the cocktail of smell there. It's also the smell of sex, and it is it is the smell of sex. So hawthorn is the shrub of death and sex. And I love saying this on foraging courses when I have an array of mid sixties quite genteel women in front of me and saying, right, smell this hawthorn flower. What does that make you think of?
Speaker 3: Aha?
Speaker 2: I gradually sort of drip it in as like, well, you know, it's both ends of the life cycle there, it's the act that creates life and it's yeah, it's so that's one of the theories about why. You know, it's the May Queen and the May Festival is a pagan festival as a pre Christian festival, and most pagan pre Christian things are all to do with it's the sacred feminine. Yeah, sex, it's the birth. It's it's the act of birth. It's the act of the act of giving life. So hawthorn is a good one. Hawthorn flowers because you can eat the well, you can eat the leaves, and then the flowers you can crystallize and then they turn into fruit and then you can do stuff with them. In the autumn. I'm going to go and pick some hawthorn leaves are really good.
Speaker 3: They are there, are fun. Then they change color so beautifully. You know when they first come out. There is nothing nothing more beautiful of how they change that color of of of leaf. I've got tattooed on my arm, a hedge atopped by a yellowhammer, and I have got in there hawthorn leaves, hazel leaves and maple leaves, and the tattoo artist has taken artistic license in putting both them in spring and summer hue, and also the berries in which I let him do because it's sort of you know, it's tattooed on my arm. It's not real life. And although it did feel like bloody the end of my life, to be perfectly honest, never get a tattoo done when you're in your fifties. That's my suggestion too.
Speaker 2: It's too late.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it hurts much more.
Speaker 3: I had one done when I was a young soldier and it was that's all right. I don't know, but that was oh man. And I'm sat around with all these young people getting sort of stuff done, and they're sort of all these young dads who are getting they're perfect photo representation of their child on their arm, and they're going, what you're getting done, mate, I'm getting a hedge done with a yellowhammer on top and they go, Okay, I thank you.
Speaker 1: We're all here for something something.
Speaker 3: I don't know why he's here, and I wish go away.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: His smells of sex now, yeah, he's getting an I don't feel it's.
Speaker 1: So bad about getting the pitball and the Guele's cross now.
Speaker 3: Is exactly calus, what do you look forward to in spring?
Speaker 1: What I'm looking forward to in spring is just not being so just depressing at the moment, Like every February, I January's usually like a rough month for most people. But and I know it's getting a bit lighter, but the boy gets home from school, he's absolutely knackered. We've got like an hour of light. After he's back home and we sorted some stuff out. He don't really want to be going out trudging through mud and horrible stuff and getting him changed into all the wet weather gear to get out because everywhere at the moment is completely soaked. I can't, I can't. I mean, I've got to get the dog back. The dog's got to be washed off, the whole lot, the whole admin process of going out. It's just really hard. And when when it gets a little bit drier, it gets light an hour later, everything will just be so much easier and so much better because at the moment the routine is just like I just need to finish work early and try and cram a dog walk in and not get too muddy in a short period of time. So just having a bit of a bit of life back, you know, a bit of slightly warmer, get some good fishing in, get maybe a blast at the end of the season, try and try and catch a few chub or something down the river.
Speaker 3: So when does the when does the river season end?
Speaker 1: Officially? Did he just laugh at chubbed down the river?
Speaker 2: Laugh at chop down there? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you know? On the seen as this is the accidental sex episode. The hashtag chub is also used by gay men. So when I used to post on Instagram in the early days with the hashtag chub, I used to get lots of fat gay men like my photos and I was thinking, what is that. I think they're called bears in the technical.
Speaker 2: Term, we are called bears.
Speaker 1: Yes, you do look like you could be a bear.
Speaker 2: I've been told there is a place for me if I ever decided to go that way, and I'm quite welcome in that community. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I tell you what I've got the top trumps. You know when your lovely little puppy who is now an adult dog, when that litter was born. I had never read a litter of cocker spaniels before, so I just wanted to look into true story. I googled all right, docking cockers. Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: For some reason, the auto correct took the E, R and S off the back.
Speaker 1: Of this is the story you tell Claire, Yet.
Speaker 3: No, trust me. I saw thing.
Speaker 2: I slipped in the shower onto the shampoob, yes, exactly, honestly.
Speaker 1: And the toilet rush went.
Speaker 3: What a bizarre thing. I didn't even know this thing was possible. I did not know that was I and it was so strange.
Speaker 1: Please, I know what this is.
Speaker 3: Please do not don't you do that. So, if you are looking into docking cocker spanuels tails and how you go about it, I suggest that you type into your Google search engine very precisely and ensure that you don't have auto correct set up on your mobile phone when you do it, so that you can go and get the full docking working cocker spaniels process of right, not docking workers, docking cockers. No, it was bloody dangerous.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to this and you don't know what docking is, good steak, yes, don't stick. Keep it that way. This is podcast world stuff. But often because you get sponsored in different ways, and one of the ways you get sponsored is you do an ad read the beginning of the episode or part way in, and you get paid for doing the read and you have to do it. You know, if we were doing one, we would have to be the three of us doing it to one of us doing it. And sex toys and stuff like that are often one of the ones that are Often it's a lot of people's first sponsor because it's very difficult for that industry to get placement on big podcasts, on big name stuff. But when people are starting out then just reaching the point where they are worth sponsoring, as we are now, Hello, there are quite a good hit. So they'll take your money from the sex industry or the sex toy industry and you'll read it out on their show.
Speaker 1: Richie, can you just say this episode is in your sexy voice. This episode's brought to you by love Honey. Use the code bill hook ten your first order.
Speaker 3: Let's get this back on track. Look I'm far too middle aged.
Speaker 2: The track is a distance, there.
Speaker 1: Is no track, There was never a track.
Speaker 3: I think there is a track to this. I think there's a track because what we've been talking about, other than mullets is spring, and I think there is something about spring. Richard was saying about how there is this pagan connotation, the whole thing about you know, new life and that sort of stuff. I think we all get slightly giddy. Obviously Dunnucks, do you know they're taking two out of Lady Dunuck's bottoms and you know, But I think that there is something where we all go slightly funny, and possibly that is the spring in the air has encouraged us, you know, because we don't have a script on this show to suddenly just go slightly smutty. So that's that's It's either that or it's just the thought of Dunnucks. It could be that. Perhaps it's the thought of mullets. I don't know, but I think it's probably the Dunucks that have done it. And I'm not advertising sex toys and that's it, and there's there's no no two ways about it. I'm not going to do that. That's not up my Strasa.
Speaker 2: If Colin Nets want to do an ad though, we'll do that.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, now you see, I'd be quite happy to go and do that. Do you know Colin's Nets? Bless them every single gonna No, I am, because it's a great thing. I actually wrote it as a story once in the Shooting Times the every year.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't even really know. I know they see them add for them every now and again in the back of things, but I don't know what they do.
Speaker 3: Game keeping surprise they down indorse It. They started out making nets, so fishing nets, fishing nets, ferreting nets, that sort of stuff, and then so that was their large thing that they were a net maker down indoors Bridport in Dorset. And they then started expanding out more into the sort of gamekeeping supplies. So we're talking the sort of feeders, the nets that you put.
Speaker 6: Up for release pens, all the sorts of stuff the professional rears of game birds and producers of game birds and gamekeepers will need.
Speaker 3: And they are an excellent bunch of eggs and I really like them. There are sort of you know that they're one of them firms that you ring them up and they'll go I remember buying a lot of mul traps off them, and they went, take some of these as well, Rich and go and see what you think of them, because we're not too sure if they're that much cop and then give me a report back. And so I did. And you know, anyway, they every year produce flankers flags, you know, for beating, and they produce these pink ones which they donate money to or you always used to one of the major cancer charities. And one of the these major cancer charities are hastened to add the then Prince of Wales, now his majesty the King was the patron of said to them, we don't want your money because it's to do with shooting and we don't think that goes with our ethos. And they went, hey, what you know, what we're doing is that we're giving you eighty percent of our profit off of these beaters flags and we're painting them pink. We're giving them to you. And they wouldn't take it. So they rang me up and I sent a little message through to via a route that I had to the said now King and they said, oh, yes, we will take it. By by which point Colin's Nets basically said bollocks to you, and they went to a lot smaller charity who said, thank you very much. We're only talking a few hundred quid or one thousand pounds something like that. But I thought, how bloody petty can you be that you go and say, oh no, I don't want to take your money because you've got something to do with shoot, when some poor sod might just have got over cancer because that extra thousand pounds that Colin's Nets had given them had just made that breakthrough bit of research. And you know, it was almost thinking. But anyway, I like Colin's Nets and I'm sure they'll now sponsor us after that glowing report.
Speaker 2: Well we can get a country slide beater's flag.
Speaker 3: Yes, with chunky Jesus on one side and Spaniels asked Crisps on the other'd be perfect. Who wouldn't want to be seen in the countryside waving one of those over there heads?
Speaker 1: Remember episode one where we said that it would slowly descend. I think we're there. I've got places to go to yet, we're not quite at the bottom of the slide. But we get no.
Speaker 3: Look, we're raising the tone next week, can't we because we've got guests.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have got a guest, and we can't talk about the time I was naked on national TV.
Speaker 3: Oh I think we can.
Speaker 2: So there is an episode of How to Look Good Naked out there that features me.
Speaker 3: Swell line.
Speaker 2: Never not on my own, but it was when I was with a mountain rescue team and about half a dozen of us from the team, we all stripped off for a group photo somewhere on the side of a mountain wells. So we went out for the day with Cockwan, and because we were a bunch of young, disreputable, unprofessional types, we kidnapped Coqwan and threw him in the back of a mountain rescue landrover and drove off. And it was sort of heart the fake kidnapping him. And then about half an hour later, when the producer hadn't heard from us, was started to be more and more phone calls and then a radio call and can you please bring back Coqwan in his Versati wellies, VERSACEI wellies and Harie pants.
Speaker 1: What's the difference between fake kidnap and real kidnap?
Speaker 2: I think there's a blurred line. After about ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Did take someone against their will by the sound of it, A.
Speaker 3: Little bit, a little bit take it in good part. He looks like he'd be up for a laugh.
Speaker 2: He was good, he smells amazing.
Speaker 1: Well he used he used to be fat, didn't he? So I should imagine kidnapping one would be a piece of cake.
Speaker 2: And he was telling me a really good, really good way of cushing.
Speaker 1: We'd always get one of those him, would we.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that's probably a good place to end.
Speaker 3: I want to know where go Quan is now because I'd like to have him as a guest on the podcast, because I think, well, I would like to a reunite him with these chunky Jesus who kidnapped him on a Welsh mountain and saved him from snakes. But also what I'd like to know is some of his views on you know, the best techniques for preventing deer browsing on coppice, that sort of stuff. Ask him questions that he has no idea because he's not been in the public eye for quite a long while, and.
Speaker 1: How to dress for a driven day, how to.
Speaker 3: Dress for a driven day if you got kwang, you know that sort of stuff is bring him back to fame. I want him back in the in the limelight and as the number one rural podcast official now in the UK. We may attract him on and with the allure of of Richard as well, with those halcyon memories he's got of being bundled in the back of a ten Land. Yeah, yeah, good times, good times anyway on that another good times. I suppose we want to go really now because.
Speaker 2: We've been long. We've got an extra bit to do at the so we're we're releasing this on Friday at six pm.
Speaker 1: So calm, we've just had a really fun day at the British Shooting.
Speaker 2: Show, or we've been kicked out.
Speaker 1: We've just had a terrible day at the British Shooting Show.
Speaker 2: And there might be extra content coming out as an extra special episode in between this one and next week's proper episode, which is with Andy Dodson, where we're talking about well, we're talking about thatching. Are we talking about reads?
Speaker 3: Both reads? It's it's sort of I suppose from the red to the roof. That's quite good. I just made that up off of the hoof.
Speaker 2: That's quite good. You can't stop.
Speaker 3: That's why they pay me the big bucks. To write for all these smart magazines. You know, it just rolls off my tongue and then onto my fingers.
Speaker 2: That's the cloacer again.
Speaker 3: That's the Cloacre's bloody dumas everywhere.
Speaker 2: And on that note, and we're going to go thank you everyone for listening, thank you for all the reviews, thank you for the new listeners, and all the new people who got in touch. And we've had quite a few people emailing as saying what the show means to them, which genuinely is touching. We don't quite know how to deal with that because we're three blokes and we're we're not really good at that kind of thing, or at least two of us aren't. At Callum's a sensitive one, yeah, I cried. He's the emotional, emotionally intelligent one.
Speaker 3: Richard, I'm the slightly steely one. You know, if we were one of those nineteen seventies sort of detective series, a right, Callum would be the quirky one who solves it in the end by a roundabout way. Richard be the one who smashes the doors in, and I would be just slightly steely aloof one who barely.
Speaker 1: Utters a word, just one more thing.
Speaker 3: This is yes, that's it, that's that's exactly that. But that'd be your catchphrase. Just one more thing, missus. That would be a callum's catchphrase. Yeah right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, someone said they heard some weird stuff at the end of the last episode.
Speaker 3: What what weird stuff?
Speaker 2: I don't I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Right at the end of the last episode, they said they heard some really strange stuff the last few minutes.
Speaker 3: I don't know, fever Dream.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't trust what you hear on the internet. It's a bit mad.
Speaker 3: Right bye everyone, Bye, mm hmm.