Speaker 1: Picture this. You're sitting in a dark cockpit, flying, you know, thousands of feet over the black expanse of the ocean. It's the middle of the night. You can't see the horizon at all, right.
Speaker 2: Just pitch black outside exactly.
Speaker 1: Just the glowing instruments in front of you. And then suddenly the control column in your hand starts violently shaking, like literally rattling your bones. The stick shaker, Yeah, the stick shaker warning. It's designed to startle you screaming at your nervous system that your plane is stalling, you're losing lift and about to just fall out of the sky. And here's the nightmare. At the exact same time, a blaring, piercing claxon starts going off in the cabin, telling you that you're flying way too fast, the overspeed alarm. Right, So if you speed up to fix the stall, you might literally rip the wings off the plane. But if you slow down, it's all the overspeed you plummet into the sea. What do you do?
Speaker 2: I mean, it is the ultimate aviation nightmare. It's a scenario where the absolute most critical data you rely on to survive has just well, it's turned into a deadly unsolvable riddle.
Speaker 1: It's terrifying, it really is.
Speaker 2: And as investigators, you know, when we pull the wreckage out of the ocean and listen to the cockpit voice recorders of these events, we aren't just looking at a broken piece of metal. We are looking at a psychological pressure cooker.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what we're going to explore in today's deep dive. We are peeling back the layers on some of the most harrowing real life aviation disasters in history to really understand what investigators call the cascade.
Speaker 2: Of errors, because it's never just one thing.
Speaker 1: No, never, it's how a you know, a microscopic failure like a tiny insect, or a hidden mechanical flaw, maybe a math mistake, how that interacts with human panic, our blind faith, and technology and just the raw will to survive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to understand how terrifyingly fast that cascade happens, you just have to look at the Dominican Republic in February of nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Burgionnaire Bursionaire.
Speaker 2: Flight three oh one. It's a Boeing seven fifty seven, and it's accelerating down rainslick runway into this pitch black night. Almost immediately during the takeoff roll, the captain notices his air speed indicator isn't working. It's just stuck at.
Speaker 1: Zero, which is obviously a huge red flag huge.
Speaker 2: But as the plane lifts off the tarmac, the gauge suddenly seems to wake up. It just starts registering speed again.
Speaker 1: But it's a phantom reading, right, I mean, the real crisis kicks in when they hit cruising altitude and they engage the autopilot exactly.
Speaker 2: And here's the fatal flaw in the system's logic. At the time, the autopilot gets its flight data solely from the captain's instruments, solely the captain right, and because of a microscopic blockage on the outside of the plane, that gauge starts falsely feeding the computer a terrifying narrative. It tells the autopilot the plane is accelerating wildly, approaching this catastrophic speed of three hundred and fifty knots.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: So the computer, doing exactly what it's programmed to do to save the plane, pitches the nose up dangerously high to act as like a massive air break.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm confused, though, if the captain's gauge was broken, What about the first officer's gauge? Didn't the plane have you know, backup sensors?
Speaker 2: It did, It absolutely did. The first officer's airspeed indicator was working perfectly. The actual plane was flying at a perfectly normal.
Speaker 1: Speed, so they were fine.
Speaker 2: They were physically fine. But the autopilot wasn't looking at the first officers side. It only cared about the captain's corrupted data. So the computer pitches the nose up so aggressively that the plane physically loses its ability to fly.
Speaker 1: It starts stalling, and that leads to the exact nightmare scenario we started with. Yes, you've got the physical stick shaker violently vibrating the control columns, warning the pilots of a stall. Yeah, But simultaneously, the overspeed alarm is just screaming because the autopilot's corrupted data still thinks they're going too.
Speaker 2: Fast, and the human brain simply cannot reconcile two completely contradictory emergencies in the seconds they have available.
Speaker 1: I mean, imagine driving your car down the highway right, your speedometer says you're doing one hundred fifty miles per hour. But your engine is actively sputtering, choking and dying. How do you process that?
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: You have an alarm screening slowdown and a physical vibration screaming speed up.
Speaker 2: And in that moment, overwhelmed by the overspeed alarm, the captain actually pulled back on the throttles. He reduced engine power when the stalling plane desperately needed it. Yeah, the seven fifty seven rolled, dropped its nose and plummeted into the ocean. There were no survivors.
Speaker 1: God, and when the recovery teams finally pulled the wreckage from the seafloor, they found the culprit. And honestly, this is the part that haunts me.
Speaker 2: The wasp.
Speaker 1: Yes, the microscopic assassin that brought down a multi ton commercial jet was a squatter, a tiny insect called a mud dauber wasp.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable. The plane had been sitting on the tarmac for nearly three weeks and the maintenance crew, for whatever reason, hadn't put the protective covers over the pitto tubes.
Speaker 1: Those are the little L shaped pipes on the outside of the fuselage.
Speaker 2: Right right, the ones that take in air to measure speed. A mud Dauber wasp had flown in and built a tiny nest inside the captain's pitto tube, completely plugging it.
Speaker 1: Just a bug. Yeah, But you know what makes this tragedy so deeply unsettling. It isn't just the wasp, it's the culture inside that cockpit, because, like you mentioned, the first officer's airspeed indicator was working perfectly the entire time, right.
Speaker 2: And this is where we hit the human element of the cascade, because the cockpit voice recorder reveals that the first officer and a relief pilot in the back actually recognized the stall. He knew, they knew they were looking at the correct data. They even gently suggested to the captain to push the nose down, but they didn't force the issue, which is wild.
Speaker 1: Why. I mean, if you know the plane is falling out of the sky, once'd you just grab the yoke and save your own.
Speaker 2: Life because of a psychological concept called the authority gradient, don'kat what is that? So in the mid nineties, aviation culture in a lot of parts of the world was incredibly hierarchical. The captain was practically a god in the cockpit right culturally and procedurally, that junior first officer felt he couldn't just ripped the controls away from a senior commander, even as the ocean was literally rushing up to meet them. He let deference override survival.
Speaker 1: That rigid hierarchy is just it's terrifying. It's a tragic example of how a missing physical safety net, you know, a simple plastic cover for a tube, paired with human hesitation, leads to absolute disaster. But at least the missing tube cover was an accidental emission. What happens when a safety net is intentionally turned off?
Speaker 2: Well, that brings us to August nineteen ninety seven and Korean air flight eight oh one.
Speaker 1: Another really tough one to listen to.
Speaker 2: It is so we are looking at a fully loaded seven forty seven approaching the island of Grom in heavy erratic rain. It's past midnight. The captain is absolutely exhausted fighting through what we call a top hat thunderstorm.
Speaker 1: Which is a storm cell so dense it can essentially absorb bradar right.
Speaker 2: Right, creating this blind wall of water. Now, normally an airport has a glide slope beacon. It's an electronic that acts as like an invisible highway, guiding the plane at a perfect angle right down to the runway threshold.
Speaker 1: But on this night, Guam's glide slope is completely out of service for maintenance.
Speaker 2: Out of service, so the pilot has to perform what's called a manual step down approach. Without the electronic glide path, you have to use distance markers. It's honestly like walking down a staircase in pitch darkness.
Speaker 1: Right, you descend to a specific altitude, wait until your instruments tell you you've traveled a certain distance, and then step down to the next altitude exactly.
Speaker 2: But here's where the psychology of exhaustion kicks in expectation bias, hallucinating what you want to see. Yes, when a human brain is desperately tired and under immense stress, it often hallucinates. The captain, desperate to break through the clouds and just spot the runway, descends far too early on the final step.
Speaker 1: He thinks he sees the glow of the airport.
Speaker 2: He does, but what he's actually flying a seven forty seven into is the rugged, jungle covered terrain of Nimt's hill miles short of the right.
Speaker 1: It's horrific, and the survival. Details from this crash are just unbelievable. The plane is tearing through the jungle, disintegrating, and you have a passenger, Berry Small, who was actually a helicopter pilot himself.
Speaker 2: Right, very Small.
Speaker 1: His leg was saved from completely shattering against a metal seat crossbar for one specific reason. He had tucked his soft carryon bag under the seat in front of him, and the bag absorbed the impact of his shins flying forward.
Speaker 2: It just highlights how microscopic variables decide life or death in these massive events.
Speaker 1: And right near him was an eleven year old girl, Rika Matsuda.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: She survived virtually unhurt because her legs were simply too short to reach that same deadly crossbar that crushed the limbs of all the adults around her. Wow, and very Small actually spent years after this crash fighting for safety changes. He realized that the horrific fire that swept through the cabin, the fire that actually killed dozens of people who had survived the initial impact, it was heavily fueled by duty free alcohol stored in the overhead bin.
Speaker 2: Oh that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the impact broke the bottles, an oxygen from the damaged ceiling missed with hundreds of liters of high proof flicker.
Speaker 2: Just a horrific scenario. But you know, the true shock of the Korean air investigation wasn't the alcohol or even the pilot's expectation.
Speaker 1: Bias, which is the system on the ground.
Speaker 2: Exactly when investigators dug into the systemic failures on the ground, they found something chilling. Guam's airport was equipped with an MSA, a Minimum Safe Altitude Warning system. It's a radar system specifically designed to alert air traffic controllers if a plane is flying dangerously low, so they can literally radio the crew and tell them to pull up.
Speaker 1: But the FAA had intentionally disabled it for arriving flights.
Speaker 2: They had they modified the software. The controllers had complained that the radar system was giving them too many nuisance readings. Nuisance readings, Yeah, it was beeping too often because of the surrounding hills. So to stop the annoying alarms, they pushed the systems tracking radius eighty kilometers out over the open ocean.
Speaker 1: So they essentially turned off the electronic safety net protecting the mountains right around the airport.
Speaker 2: They turned it off.
Speaker 1: That is exactly like taking the batteries out of your smoke detector because it goes off every time you make toast, only to end up sleeping through your house burning down.
Speaker 2: It's the perfect analogy.
Speaker 1: I mean, why do we sacrifice crucial safety for momentary convenience. If that system had been left on, the controller would have seen the seven forty seven dropping below the step down altitude and could have worn them.
Speaker 2: It's a really sobering reality about systemic complacency. When we get annoyed by our own safety systems, we disable the very thing designed to save us.
Speaker 1: It is, but you know, it's one thing to silence an alarm because it's annoying. It's an entirely different nightmare when the machine itself is secretly plotting against you.
Speaker 2: And that leads us to the longest, most agonizing investigation in aviation history, the ten year hunt for a mechanical serial killer.
Speaker 1: Ugh, just the phrase aviation serial killer gives me chills.
Speaker 2: Well, it chilled the higher industry. In nineteen ninety one, United Flight five eighty five was on a routine approach into Colorado Springs, clear day, slightly bumpy winds. Suddenly the Boeing seven thirty seven violently rolled onto its back, dropped its nose, and plummeted straight into the ground.
Speaker 1: Do survivors none.
Speaker 2: Three years later, in nineteen ninety four, USAir flight four to twenty seven is approaching Pittsburgh, calm, sunny evening. Out of nowhere, the exact same thing happens. The plane snaps violently to the left and dives into the earth.
Speaker 1: And what made this so terrifying for investigators was the total lack of evidence. I mean, in both cases, the planes were perfectly.
Speaker 2: Fine, completely fine.
Speaker 1: The engines were running at full capacity at the moment of impact. The pilots were highly experienced. There was no bomb, no structural failure on the wings. You just have perfectly good seven thirty seven Dash, which is literally the most popular passenger jet on Earth, suddenly turning upside down and falling out of the sky.
Speaker 2: Investigators were chasing ghosts. I mean they strongly suspected the rudder, the huge vertical panel on the tail that steers the nose left and right, hit some how jammed. But every time they recovered the parts from the craters and tested them in the lab, they worked flawlessly. The pressure on the investigators was immense. If they couldn't find the cause, they might have had to ground the entire global fleet of seven thirty seven.
Speaker 1: And then in nineteen ninety six they finally get their breakthrough. East Wind Flight five seventeen is approaching Richmond, Virginia. Suddenly the plane snaps into that same terrifying role at this time, right the pilot, Captain Brian Bishop, does what he's trained to do. He stands on the opposite rudder pedal with all his weight to counteract the role, but the pedal won't budge. He is fighting for his life, muscles straining, but miraculously, after thirty seconds of sheer terror, the rudder just releases on its own.
Speaker 2: He manages to regain control and land exactly and for the first time in a decade, investigators have a completely intact plane, an undamaged tail section, and a living pilot to interview.
Speaker 1: So what did they find Because if the parts worked in the lab, why did they feel.
Speaker 2: The sky well, because the lab wasn't the sky. They realized they had to subject the rudder's power control unit that's the mechanical muscle that moves the rudder, specifically a component called a dual servo valve to the most brutal environmental testing imaginable.
Speaker 1: To recreate the flight conditions.
Speaker 2: Yes, they had to recreate the extreme conditions of flight. So they soaked the valve in dry ice to simulate the sub zero temperatures at thirty thousand feet, then suddenly blasted it with superheated hydraulic fluid thermal shock, precisely extreme cold instantly meeting extreme heat. And under that precise thermal shock, they discovered something horrifying. The valve didn't just jam. It jammed and then it function in reverse.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, here's where it gets absolutely terrifying. I want you, the listener, to imagine your car starts sliding on an icy bridge. You do exactly what you've been trained to do since drivers at beast. You steer into the skid to regain control. But a microscopic temperature flaw has secretly wired your steering wheel backwards, so when you turn right, the wheel snap left.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: That is exactly what happened to those pilots in Colorado and Pittsburgh. The plane started to drift in the wind. They pushed the rudder pedal to correct it, and the frozen valve reversed. The command slamming the rudder to the extreme opposite side. The very action trained to save their life is what pushed them into a death spiral.
Speaker 2: It's tragic. Boeing spent hundreds of millions of dollars redesigning and replacing those valves worldwide. It was a flaw born of incredibly complex engineering reacting to extreme unforeseen environmental variables Bowing didn't know was there.
Speaker 1: But what happens when an aerospace giant actually knows about a fatal flaw and actively chooses to ignore it Because finding a hidden flaw is one thing, Covering one up is entirely different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where engineering failure crosses into corporate hubris. In nineteen seventy two, American Airlines Flight ninety six took off from Detroit. As the DC ten climbed past eleven thousand feet, the rear cargo door suddenly blew completely off the side of the plane.
Speaker 1: And the pressure difference was so massive that the explosive decompression actually collapsed the passenger cabin floor down into the cargo hold, and when the floor caved in, it completely severed the hydraulic cables that ran through it, the cables that controlled the tail. Captain Bryce McCormick was left flying a crippled monster.
Speaker 2: But he pulled off one of the most heroic saves in aviation history.
Speaker 1: He really did. He used draw engine thrust. Imagine steering a massive commercial jet without a steering wheel, unbelievable. He powered up the left engine to turn right and powered up the right engine to turn left. Against all odds, he wrestled that plane back to the runway in Detroit, and.
Speaker 2: When investigators looked at the blown off door, they found a fundamental catastrophic design flaw. Usually, airplane doors are plug doors. They open inward, meaning the higher air pressure inside the cabin physically pushes the door tighter into its frame, sort of like a bathtub stopper.
Speaker 1: So it's physically impossible for them to.
Speaker 2: Blow out exactly, But to maximize his luggage space, McDonald Douglas designed the DC ten cargo door to open outward.
Speaker 1: Which means the only thing keeping the door from blasting open in flight are the metal locking pins.
Speaker 2: Right, and the locking mechanism was deeply flawed. A baggage handler could force the external handle closed, and the indicators in the cockpit which show the door was securely locked, even if the metal pins hadn't actually engaged around the frame.
Speaker 1: So the door was literally a ticking time bomb waiting for the cabin pressure to pop it open. Yes, and the Safety Board saw this and demanded the FAA issue an immediate Airworthiness Directive, an AD that would have legally forced McDonald douglas to ground the planes and fix the doors immediately.
Speaker 2: But that didn't happen. Unbelievable, the head of the FAA and the head of McDonald douglas made a private gentleman's agreement. They agreed the manufacturer would fix the problem voluntarily, just avoiding the public relations nightmare and the massive financial hit of an official government grounding.
Speaker 1: A gentleman's agreement over passenger lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Two years later, a Turkish Airline's DC ten takes off from Paris. A baggage handler forces the door shut, the pins don't actually lock, The cockpit says everything is fine, and at eleven thousand feet the door blows off, just like before the floor collapses, but this time all the hydraulic lines are severed. Captain Bryce McCormick's trick with the engines won't work here because the plane immediately pitches down, the pilots have absolutely zero control. The plane plows into a forest outside Paris at five hundred miles an hour. Three hundred and forty six people die in what was at the time the worst crash in human history, and.
Speaker 2: The tragedy is compounded by what investigators found during the ensuing lawsuits. They uncovered a document known as the Applegate Memo, written by a product engineering director at the company the smoking It the smoking gun. It proved in black and white that the manufacturer knew about this catastrophic flaw before the Detroit incident even happened. They had actually had a cargo door blow out during a ground pressure test years earlier, but they choose not to change the fundamental design because it would delay production.
Speaker 1: I mean, are we as a society just okay with the dark concept of tombstone technology, the reality that aviation safety regulations are almost always written in blood?
Speaker 2: It seems that way sometimes.
Speaker 1: Is the math of corporate risk assessment fundamentally evil when human lives are the currency. They knew the door was a bomb, but fixing it was too expensive.
Speaker 2: It reeses really profound questions about accountability when profit motives intersect with public safety. The rigid systems of corporate self regulation failed completely.
Speaker 1: They really did. So we've spent this entire deep dive looking at how rigid systems, rigid cockpit hierarchy, rigid corporate greed, rigid computer programming create these cascades of disaster. So I want to end by looking at the flip side. What happens when the system completely dies and fluid rule breaking human ingenuity is the only backup plan we have. Let's talk about the miracle at gimli Oh.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect counterpoint. July nineteen, teen eighty three, Air Canada Flight one forty three, a state of the art Boeing seven to sixty seven, is cruising at twenty six thousand feet over central Canada. Suddenly, warning alarms flood the tokpit, fuel pressure drops, the left engine dies. Wow minutes later, the right engine dies. The cockpit goes totally dark and silent, save for a few battery powered stand by instruments. They are in a ninety five ton glider and the cause.
Speaker 1: Of this is almost comical in its simplicity. It was a cascading human error. Based on elementary school math. Canada was transitioning into the metric system at the time. The seven sixty seven was the first plane in the fleet to use kilograms instead of pounds for fuel calculations. The ground crew and the pilots, who double checked the work at the conversion factor mixed up. The plane required twenty two thousand, three hundred kilograms that fuel to reach its destination, but they loaded twenty two three hundred pounds, which is.
Speaker 2: Roughly half the fuel they actually needed, right.
Speaker 1: So they literally run out of gas in the middle of the sky. Incredible, But here is where human intuition steps in. Captain Bob Pearson just happens to be a high experienced glider pilot in his spare time.
Speaker 2: What luck.
Speaker 1: Seriously, he flies small engineless planes on the weekends. So he now has to somehow glide a massive commercial jet to a decommissioned Air Force base in Gimli, Manitoba, without engines, without full hydraulics, and without most of his instruments.
Speaker 2: And as they approach Gimli, Pearson realizes they're coming in too high and too fast. Normally you just circle around for another try or apply thrust.
Speaker 1: But without engines, he can't do either exactly.
Speaker 2: He has one single shot at the runway, so.
Speaker 1: He uses a radical maneuver called a forward slip. If you've never seen this, it is wild. You cross the controls, turning the steering yoke hard one way while pushing the ruttor pedals hard the opposite way. It intentionally unbalances the plane, turning the entire massive fuselage sideways into the wind, basically turning the body of the plane into a giant air brake. You drop altitude incredibly fast without gaining forward speed. Passengers are looking out their side windows, not at the horizon, but straight down at the ground.
Speaker 2: It's an aggressive, violent maneuver that goes against everything a commercial jet is designed to do, but it works. However, as they approach the runway, they face another horrifying surprise.
Speaker 1: Right the airbase wasn't empty.
Speaker 2: No, the decommissioned airbase is being used that day for a sportscar rally. There are campers, families and drag racers everywhere.
Speaker 1: On the tarmac, and because they have no hydraulic power, they have to use gravity to drop the landing gear. They literally just let them fall. The heavy back wheels lock into place, but the lighter nose gear fails to lock so they hit the runway, the nose gear classes and the front of the plane slams onto the concrete send them this massive blinding shower of sparks. The plane grinds down the runway, shedding speed, and stops just short of two young boys who are riding their bicycles right down.
Speaker 2: The middle of the strip, and everyone survived. I mean, the sheer airmanship and lateral thinking required to pull off a forward slip in a commercial airliner is stagger It wasn't in any Boeing manual.
Speaker 1: No, it is the ultimate irony. You have the most sophisticated, computerized, state of the art passenger jet in the sky. It totally fails because of a simple metric conversion error. And what saved to everyone wasn't a backup computer or a safety system. It was a grassroots, almost archaic wind in your hair gliding technique performed by a guy relying entirely on feel.
Speaker 2: And if we synthesize everything we've looked at today, I think this is the grand takeaway from a single mud dauber wasp plugging a tube to a hidden reversing servovalve to a catastrophic gentleman's agreement over a cargo door to a pounds to kilograms mix up. Aviation safety, like so many complex systems we rely on, is just an incredibly fragile web.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly why understanding this matters to you. We all exist in complex webs of technology in our daily lives, from the semi autonomous cars we drive to the algorithmic medical systems we rely on. Understanding the weak points, how human panic, rigid hierarchy, or expectation bias plays into them. It makes us better navigators of our own lives and our personal systems fail when the screens go dark, Do we have our own backup skills to rely on?
Speaker 2: Exactly? We build the machines to be as perfect as possible, but we have to be prepared to step in with raw, fluid human ingenuity when the machines inevitably fail us.
Speaker 1: So I'll leave you with this provocative thought. As we rapidly approach an era of fully autonomous AI flown aircraft, we might finally eliminate the human errors that cause some of these disasters. No more math mix ups, no more tired pilots hallucinating runway lights. But when the AI gets confused by a blocked sensor or encounters a cascading mechanical failure. It wasn't programmed to understand who will be sitting in the cockpit to break the rules, who will pull off a miracle side slip to save the day. We're removing human error also remove the very human intuition required for our greatest saves.