Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: This is KFI AM six forty Bill Handle here on a Thursday morning, September twenty sixth.
Speaker 1: Some of the big stories we're looking at.
Speaker 2: Eric Adams, the mayor of New York, has just been indicted and it is not good news for him wire fraud and also I think campaign fund violations from a foreign entity, the government of Turkey, and so he's got a mess going on in his hands. Also, Florida is in a lot of trouble to panhandle with Florida Tallahassee that area Helen Hurricane Helen, category four hurricane storm surge up to twenty feet. I mean, this is life threatening, is what they're saying. Unsurvivable is the way the national weather system is telling them. Okay, let me go into politics for a moment. I'm gonna give you a story. I want to start with this, a personal story, and then I'm going to go on and talk about the politics of what's going on. And this has to do with Donald Trump gaining traction with Latinos that he actually is doing better than he ever has and he is gaining traction.
Speaker 1: So I've often talked about Maria.
Speaker 2: Maria was, well, he is our housekeeper and has been for many, many years. Maria's from l Salvador, and Maria came across the border many years ago in the trunk of a car and was here illegally for many years. And she became a citizen because Ronald Reagan, if you remember or historically if you read about it, had an amnesty program.
Speaker 1: She's a very bright lady.
Speaker 2: And immediately grabbed onto the amnesty program which allowed her to have a green card, which allowed her than to become a citizen, of which she is right now. So do you remember that equivalent of the Million Man March where you had I think five hundred thousand people that were demonstrating in Los Angeles demanding that the borders be open, demanding rights for illegal immigrants.
Speaker 1: I mean today you wouldn't have that, but there was.
Speaker 2: And you remember the photos where all you did was see Mexican flags and I was screaming.
Speaker 1: I go, you guys are nuts.
Speaker 2: You want to be Americans and all you're seeing are hundreds of Mexican flags showing solidarity wherever the hell you're doing. By the way, the second go round, when they put it together the second time, which was not as big or as or as newsworthy. They had American flags. So anyway, Maria, and this was I remember Tuesday or Thursday or a Wednesday.
Speaker 1: So Maria takes the day off.
Speaker 2: She takes the day off and goes and joins that demonstration. And I said to her when she came back, I said, hey, I'm fine with you demonstrating.
Speaker 1: You know, that's your right.
Speaker 3: This really is.
Speaker 1: America, and of course you have the right to do it. You did it on my time.
Speaker 2: You did it on a day that you were working for me, and you didn't even ask. You just said you're joining the demonstration. And I said, you do that again, and I'll fire you. Not that you join that you did it on my time without even telling me. And we got into it and she and I said, so, let's talk about why you want, you know, five hundred thousand or a million people to come over here illegally, and why when they do they become citizens. Talk about that for a moment, and she said, these.
Speaker 1: Are my people.
Speaker 2: They deserve the opportunity to come from an area where they're starving, which is true, is far worse by the way today it was then because of narco trafficantes, because of the weather, the climate change, it's just got awful to live, particularly in Central America. So I said, okay, let me do this for you, Maria. Let's talk about let's talk about what the future is the way you and the other demonstrators envision. My kids go to private school.
Speaker 1: As you know, they go to a Jewish.
Speaker 2: Day school where they are taught to be little Jewish princesses. And by the way, they succeeded beyond all my wildest imagination. So my kids, there are twenty two kids in a classroom, and in some classrooms there's fourteen kids.
Speaker 1: You get your way.
Speaker 2: And the kids, of course, are going to go to La unified public school. Instead of thirty five or thirty eight kids in a classroom, they'll be fifty and sixty kids in a classroom. And look at what we are going to have to pay, not for legal immigration, for illegal immigration, because that demonstration was pushing open borders.
Speaker 1: Anybody that wants to come in and go, who's going to pay for it? You're on salary.
Speaker 2: I don't pay you under the table how much taxes you think is going to cost you? And she started looking, and I go, yeah, her kids were in school, and all of a sudden she starts doing the numbers and realizes that the kids are going to get a substandard education because the school system simply won't be able to put up with it just won't, which is basically what happened anyway, and our system was going to be completely overrun and we wouldn't have the resources.
Speaker 1: And as she's thinking about.
Speaker 2: This, yeah, by the way, if you ask her now about illegal immigration, she is going to pound the table and say keep them out. We don't want illegal immigration. She has gone completely the other way. If I want a poster child to stop illegal immigration from south of the border, it's Maria.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So with that story, I am now going to go into why Maria's are more common than ever before, and that is Latino's screaming about immigration on the other side, stopping immigration from coming in.
Speaker 1: That you don't see. But that movement is growing.
Speaker 2: That movement is growing, and Donald Trump is riding the crest of that wave, even though he's considered by many to be anti Latino, which by the way, he isn't. Just to let you know he's anti illegal immigration. It could be Albanians and it would be the same. But the reason it is Latino because everybody, most of the people that come across the border happened to be Latino. The politics of it are very interesting because Donald Trump runs is running in one of his primary platforms is the border, the southern border, and how Biden Harris during the administration has failed miserably in not stopping illegal immigration. And you would think of all the people that would be a little sensitive, that would be Latinos, and they're saying, hey, these are my people, what are you doing. Well, there's a growing trend of Latinos that are going the other way. They're saying, you know what, we don't want illegal immigration. And that is counterintuitive, but when you think about it, you know what, it makes sense. These are people that are here legally. They are Latino. They are conservatives. One guy, if you go online, he's known as Conservative Anthony. His name is Pedro Antonio Aguera and he is known as one of the conservative commentators out there arguing that our borders are too porous. And as he points out, and this is true, many Latinos have shifted to the right on immigration in recent years, like the idea of building that wall, shutting down the southern border, conducting mass deportations. I mean, of all the people that I would think, as Donald Trump says Day one, I'm going to deport eleven million people, they're saying, yep, works for us. Support for Trump among Latino voters grew by eight percentage points from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty, and Trump continues to make inroads with Latino voters. That number is increasing. I mean, why why, Well, for the same reasons. Well, the number one reason actually if you look at it, and this was out of the Atlantic and a lot of Latinos were interviewed, is that we are more American than we are Latino, and we should defend America, and our loyalty is to America. And we are frightened of our jobs being taken over. We are frightened of the crime that's going over the border. We're frightened that opportunities are going to be gone because of illegal immigration.
Speaker 1: And it's kind of hard. It's easy for a white person to.
Speaker 2: Be anti immigration because it's them now, they're Latino. I'm not right. They come from a culture I don't. I mean, I grew up here, regular white person going to school kind of thing, and I didn't have to worry about the borders. Although I did come over the border, but it was on a PanAm plane and I landed in Los Angeles and it was very legal, and I was five. But the point they're making is the fact that these are Latinos doesn't really matter. It's illegal immigration, and that is, let me tell you, that is resonating big time because a lot of these folks are saying, look, what's happening. So the author of this article grabbed Aguero and they patrolled the border, went down there and started just looking at the border. Okay, footprints, discarded clothes, plastic water bottles, trash, underground tunnels that smugglers and immigrants used to hide from border patrol agents.
Speaker 1: It's all laid out there. Okay.
Speaker 2: By the way, a Swiss NGO non governmental organization that helps people all over the world said that in twenty twenty one alone, more than nine hundred migrants died or went missing trying to cross the border, and the US Mexican border is the most lethal border in the world. Also found were belts and two laces on the ground, and those prove border patrol apprehensions. Why because when illegal aliens, when immigrants undocumented quote, are caught, the agents have them remove their laces and belts because they are deemed too dangerous. And there is an issue of suicide. Wow, I never even thought of that. And here's the other issue. And this is one where I obviously look at Trump and go your kind of nuts, and he portrays the people coming over the border as criminals, as rapists, They're drug dealers, narcotraficantes.
Speaker 1: Those are the people that are coming over the border, which of course is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: The vast and not to say that there aren't some, but the fast vast majority of people that come over trying to cross the border are people that just are looking for a better life.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: You can't make a living anymore. I mean, if you look at the triangle between Honduras, s Guatemala and Costa Rica, there's this sort of golden triangle there that used to be the bread basket of of that area. It's a desert now the climate is well, just wipe it out.
Speaker 1: Nothing there.
Speaker 2: And if you look at the crime, you look at how miserable it is. I would come to the United States. I would certainly come here for my family, because if you can get in, if you can get in, sneak in and somehow stay and have no marketable skills, by the way, you have no education, no marketable skills whatsoever. Very few high end surgeons sneak across the border for Mexico. I just want to let you know that even with that, and as vulnerable as they are, the light you can survive, send money back home to family and not starve to death, and have some opportunity.
Speaker 1: So you can see why they do this.
Speaker 2: But what's interesting here is the number of people, the number of Latinos that are looking at the conservative side.
Speaker 1: And I never thought that would happen. I thought there's just this tiny.
Speaker 2: Little group of people that were trumpets in the sense of southern border that's growing, that is growing. We have a mansion tax here in the city of Los Angeles, and we passed that two years ago, Measure ULA, and this is the tax that if you sell a home over five million.
Speaker 1: Dollars, four percent goes to the city.
Speaker 2: So five million dollars, you don't pay it, five million or four million, nine hundred nine, nine nine hundred ninety nine, say whatever you don't pay it soon as he his five million boom two hundred grand goes to the city, and this was to fund homelessness the mansion tax. Turns out, the mansion tax really isn't making money because of mansions. It is for the most part making money from the sale of apartment buildings, offices, retail centers.
Speaker 1: And that is a different animal because you are not.
Speaker 2: Talking about individuals who own mansions. You're talking about people that own apartment buildings, not necessarily millionaires, or offices or retail space. These are not necessarily millionaires, and the tax is being nailed on them. You know, there's something about taxation that drives me completely crazy, and that is this philosophy that if you have a lot of money, if you earn a lot of money, you should pay a great part of that to the government. Before Margaret Thatcher, and you know, I have a lot of friends in England before market threat, Margaret Thatcher became a Prime minister during the Reagan years being rich in England, and I think that translates now more so than.
Speaker 1: It did before.
Speaker 2: There was something, there was something slightly immoral about making a lot of money just wasn't the same as inheriting, particularly if you're talking about viscounts and dukes and all that crap. That's okay, But working and developing businesses and making a lot of money somehow was a little distasteful. And when you look at people like Bernie Sanders saying, you know, you have to pay more and a lot more, and this same thinking. If you have a house and it's worth more than five million dollars, let's have you pay more than anybody else, because you really, if you have that much money, you've got to share it. You know, your fair I love that your fair share. Have you noticed that phrase. I've never figured out what your fair share is. All I know is that your fair share gets much much bigger the more money you make. Now, I'm okay with a graduated income tax, I get that. But then you reach the point where it's Bernie Sanders land.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He was once asked what do you think is a fair tax?
Speaker 1: Income tax? He said, basically, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But I'll I'll see it, you know, I'll think, okay, this is enough.
Speaker 1: And someone asked him, I think it was a reporter.
Speaker 2: Saying, Senator, would you think seventy percent income tax would be fair, and he said that sounds about right. So if you sell your house over five million, is four percent enough on top of everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds about right.
Speaker 2: And over ten million, it's only four point four percent, So that part is a miracle.
Speaker 1: And where does this go. Well, it goes to the homeless.
Speaker 2: Different programs compensating landlords for tenants behind rent, expansion of eviction defense programs will pay for the lawyer defending a defending an eviction, Stronger enforcement of the anti harassment rules. In other words, we're going to make sure homeless people are protected much more. And of course, new affordable housing. All of that rolls into it.
Speaker 1: And where are we going to get it? I mean, we can't take it out of the general fund.
Speaker 2: We never have enough money. Ever, that doesn't matter how much money comes in. There's never enough money out there. So now the easy thing is to, for example, nail developers. You know, let's tax the hell out of developers until the point where you can't afford it anymore. I mean, there are taxes that are ridiculous out there, Sam Berdandino. You go to the Riverside County, they have a tax which they call the kangaroo rat tax, which is exactly that. It's a tax to keep the habitat for the kangaroo rat and that comes out of developers. And so here we go with if you have money. And by the way, I have no problem taxing people. And I understand, you know, someone who makes a million dollars a year should pay more in taxes than someone who makes twenty thousand.
Speaker 1: Dollars a year. But how much more you know the mansion tax?
Speaker 2: I mean, do you really charge additional taxes for the sale of homes?
Speaker 1: Do I pay more sales tax?
Speaker 2: For example, if I make one hundred thousand dollars a year than I would at fifty million dollars a year?
Speaker 1: Is there any limit?
Speaker 2: Oh? By the way, job before we bail out of here and go to mode that is, it was originally supposed to raise one point one billion dollars a year. It's raising three hundred and seventy five million, which even though it seems like a lot of money what has been planned to do, then the number.
Speaker 1: Doesn't even come out. Okay, So measure ula and we get to vote ourselves even more taxes. Isn't that special? But only for the rich people? Okay, very few people.
Speaker 2: Most of us don't have five million dollar homes, so we don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 1: It's those people over there.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: We on a Thursday always go to mo Kelly, host of Later with mo Kelly, and that's every night seven to ten pm Monday through Friday, and our segment is earlier with mo Kelly.
Speaker 1: All right, mo good morning, let's forstarts.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So news that broke about Disneyland is when you see the parade. You saw Mickey Mouse with one of his ears off and there was no one there to actually sew it back on, and it looked kind of stupid.
Speaker 1: What is going on with Disney and layoffs.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a mixed picture.
Speaker 4: Disney laid off about three hundred employees across corporate and legal and finance. And this is the latest round of layoffs, because back in July they had another two hundred they were laid off, and back a year ago they laid off like a thousand employees around the around the world, rolled across the whole Disney spectrum. But the mixed picture is that movies are up, the projected earnings are up, They're doing better with movies, but there's a six percent downturn in amusement parks.
Speaker 3: And when Bob Iiger came.
Speaker 4: Back to Disney to replace Bob Chapek, they said that they wanted to focus on the amusement park aspect of the company.
Speaker 3: And it hasn't quite turned around yet.
Speaker 4: And if you look at the bigger picture going into the fall and winter seasons, amusement parks historically don't do well.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming no one was fired from the amusement park. You know, certainly they're not the right operators. Everybody involved in employment there was not laid off or am I wrong?
Speaker 3: You're not wrong.
Speaker 4: It doesn't say that anyone from the amusement park side was laid off. These were just more like corporate trimming cuts around the edges of the company.
Speaker 1: Why is that big news?
Speaker 2: Because you're talking about, what do they have eighty thousand employees or something crazy, and you've got what two thousand people laid off for the last year year and a half. Why is that even news?
Speaker 4: It's news because it's a progression where each six months or so they are laying off. I wouldn't say a significant number, but a consistent number of employees, and Disney has not had that type of negative publicity for a while. And this comes on the heels again of Bob Iger coming back and saying they wanted to contract the company. They had laid off people in television because Disney is moving away from its television properties. They're releasing fewer movies and for the first quarter they've seen some good first time, I should say this past quarter, they've seen some good numbers as far as streaming. So this is about contracting and making it much more solvent.
Speaker 2: And when you talk about getting away from TV, is that all the majors except maybe the TV networks themselves, although I see stuff, you know, the ABC.
Speaker 1: Of produced product and it's on streaming.
Speaker 4: They're trying to get away from the linear broadcast television portion. And for years now there have been rumors about their going to sell off ABC. But TV big picture, they're not going to completely leave because obviously they have the Disney streaming bundle with Hulu and a lot of those are linear TV properties, so they wouldn't necessarily leave TV altogether. But they are seemingly trying to unload the ABC portion and maybe the ESPN portion as well.
Speaker 3: All Right, Mo.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We'll catch it tonight at seven pm. His social address at mister Mo Kelly Mo, you have a good one, you too, see soon.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Every Thursday we talked to him about what's going on in the world. That's it. We're done.
Speaker 2: Another day another well, it would be a day at another dollar, but this is iHeart, so another day, another fifty two cents, and Amy starts tomorrow again at five am with wake up call, and then it's Neil and Watt joining Amy until nine o'clock. And then of course kno our technical director or whatever else, so we call him I have no idea, and of course Anne, who is the producer. So we're done once again tomorrow. Guys, this is KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.