Speaker 1: Here's your ninth first twenty one forecasts. Not bad day today, sunny skies, high at sixty six. They'll get a little windy this afternoon. Clear sky's over night down to forty four, sunny with a chance of rain and storms after two pm tomorrow seventy seven the high overnight more rain and storms possible, and a low forty seven Saturday. Just a mostly sunny day at a high at sixty four forty four.
Speaker 2: Right now, time for traffic from the UCL Traffics Center. When it comes to stroke, every second counts. That's why you see Comprehensive Stroke Center as your clear choice for a wrap up life saving treatment. Learn MORERIGG, you see health dot com northbound seventy five. They cleared the wreck and Kyle's let lanes open again, but the damage is done. You're backed into Florence for over a thirty five minute delay. He's two seventy five break lights double eight to four seventy one, which is filling up from South Cape South Pound seventy one break lights Field zirdle down to the Reagan Highway. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC. The talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty one IFI five KRSD talk station. Happy Friday, Eve joining the program. Now he's gonna be doing the Power You seminar tonight about John Hancock, one of our prominent founding fathers. My guest today, John O'Neill. He's a thirty five year professional career participated in and manage people in projects and in the corporate as well as consulting services industry. Professional background includes significant career experience and a broad spectrum of business disciplines including sales and technology resources, corporate and consulting, service management, software development, and personal training. He's also an authority on John Hancock, which you'll be talking about tonight. Empower Youoamerica dot org. Register and watch from home, or show up at two twenty five North and Boulevard to see my guests in person. Welcome to the show, John O'Neil. Great to have you on today.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Brian, and good morning.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure having you on the program. You know, it's one thing. Benjamin Franklin was the oldest signer of the Declaration of Independence at seventy, but the rest of them pretty young people by modern standards. I mean, James Monroe is eighteen and the subject of your conversation. Thirty nine years old at the time of the signing, so fairly young men, but unbelievably intellectually superior folks. When you read what they wrote, like the Federalist papers and the actual you know, Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. These were smart, smart people.
Speaker 3: Yes they were. They were very smart people. They had an intrinsic knowledge of fair and just and the first few lines of the Declaration of Independence really say at all.
Speaker 1: So what drew you to your interest in John Hancock as opposed to any of the other founding fathers.
Speaker 3: Well earlier this summer I read a short article about Hancock. I came across it somewhere I can't even remember, but it piqued my curiosity to find out more. So I did a little I did a little googling, which is another word for research, now, isn't it, And found out that and found out he is US has a number of schools named after him, both elementary and high schools. He has buildings named after him just as like the John Hancock Tower in Boston and the Hancock Center in Chicago. And interestingly enough, he has six navy warships named after and I found this out just in a short googling session, and I thought, well, this guy has been immortalized in so many ways, but so many of us have no idea who he is other than he played a role in the fight for independence, but so did others, and he signed his declaration, so did others. And he writes me.
Speaker 1: That I remember when I was in elementary school and they took us to see seventeen seventy six, remember the musical, And I remember him saying, you know, why did you write your why'd you sign your signature so large?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 1: And he said, because I wanted the King to be able to see it right playing their dead center, where's my name? I'm proud of what.
Speaker 3: I did without his glasses, And which is why he was the first signer of the declaration. Also, so he had plenty of space to write his name. Everybody else had the writer. There was a lot of signers of the declaration. When you look at it, that paper at the bottom where everybody signed is pretty full.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. It was full. But let's let's explain the landscape of the people. Not ever, it was in favor of breaking away from Britain. There were a lot of people who were pro British and one of their main colonies. What was the sentiment of the people generally, because these guys were the radicals of their day.
Speaker 3: Yes, And the center of all of this rebellion issue is in Boston, Massachusetts. And Sam Adams is the instigator here. And Sam Adams is a the Sam Adams, the cousin of our second president, John Adams, is a pretty much of a n'er do well, quite honestly. And the one thing he can do well is to rile up people against taxation in Britain. And it was taxation that really started all of this. But a lot of the colonies were not particularly happy at what was going on down in Boston, and it was there was a possibility that of the civil war between the colonies. Even a few local militias were formed account of the rebels. Now, one of the most important contributions that Hancock made was he used a great part of his fortune. He was rich, he had in today's dollars, he was worth about five hundred and ninety four million dollars. A lot of money back on any day, isn't it so? Anyway, Two of his most important contributions are he uses a great part of his fortune to fund a revolution once he gets involved, because he wasn't initially, he wasn't really for it either. And secondly, he's instrumental and convincing the decision makers and the other commodies to vote for independence.
Speaker 1: And he was the key well, considering his vast wealth at the time, he had a vested interest in the status quo.
Speaker 3: Absolutely all of the he was quote unquote an aristocrat, and he was a businessman. He owned an export shipping business with all of the businessmen in the colonies. One of their big trading partners was Guests who Great Britain, right, Yes, So causing this rift between their business and their biggest trading partner was a big issue. And John Hancock knew that and he warned the rebels. He said, they will give up a lot of stuff, but they won't give up their wealth. So we've got to figure out how to convince him that this is the best thing.
Speaker 1: And what better guy to do it than a guy who again had a very vested interest in the status quo. I mean, if he's out there doing it as one of the wealthier people out there, that's a great sale job for a man like John Hancock being in that position.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was. And you know the original intent of this rebellion was to get justin fair treatment from from Great Britain. That they had no they had nothing in mind in regards to creating and establishing a new country. It wasn't until seventeen seventy five, roughly in the Second Continental Congress that they came at Ben Franklin counseled Adams, Adams and Hancock, and he said, so, what do you want? And they told him. He said, you know, he said, you're never going to get that from Britain. He said, but he said, it sounds to me like you want to establish a new country. And that's how the fight for independence from Britain came to be as opposed to a fight for a fair interest treatment.
Speaker 1: Well, you know the other component I learned. I read Bill Wiley's a book, Killing the Witches. There's a big segment in there on Ben Franklin and his you know, young man, his trials and tribulations dealing with the colonies, and of course the Puritans, who were well established. Man, those folks were really ruthless in terms of the enforcement of their religious principles. But then also the Church of England. In terms of taxation, citizens and the colonies were forced to pay for the Church of England, which really kind of irked a lot of people and was one of the reasons why we do not live in a theocracy. These in our country.
Speaker 3: Well, and they were, you know, the Church was a state entity in Britain, and there were a lot of things that are the colonies, and it was eventual, it was eventually the taxation that that Great Britain was forcing upon the colonies that caused them to revolt and eventually lead to the fight for independence.
Speaker 1: How about that? You think something like that might happen these days, considering our outrageous taxation, the fact that our rapacious government still spends far beyond what they take in in terms of the trillions of dollars. My editorial comment not John O'Neill's. John'll be talking about all this tonight. Empower you America dot org. Make sure your RSVP let them know where they're going to be there, in person or streaming from home. I wish you all the best on your presentation tonight. I'm sure it's going to be fascinating. John Hancock. The topic John O'Neill. I appreciate the time you spent my listeners and need this and we'll look forward to tuning in tonight at seven pm.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Brian.
Speaker 1: My pleasure, John real pleasure. Stick around, folks, lots to talk about. We got Allison Fennings, she's the owner of Pinpoint Behavioral Health Solutions. After the top of the our news serving those who served mental health for veterans plus j Ratliffe at eight thirty first call them for a free appointment to have your roof inspection. They are fast and pro roofing, the most honest roofers in the business, and I do not believe it is humanly possible to have better contractors working to you on your roof. These folks are true craftsmen. You need custom metalwork done like copper work, of course they do it. Maybe you have a slate roof, they do those metal roofs. Maybe you want to replace a shingle roof with a metal roof, you can do that. They do it. Commercial roofs no problem, Fast and pros got residential and commercial roofs. Well covered exterior projects like siding work, all kinds of exterior projects. But the start is a roof inspection. You can say, call them up and have them look at your siding because you want your siding replace, you want to put beautiful hardyboard up in lieu of the vinyl you got there. We'll do that, but they'll check your roof out too. And Steve's thankful for that because he was had him over for sighting work and they took a look at his roof and they found some latent problems that could have been a real headache. So happy Steve was that he referred his son over and you know what they did for his son in a torrential downpour. His son's got a hole in the roof, so he's got buckets. He thought he was going to have to wait several days, Steve said, son, call Fasten Pro Roofing and may take a few days, but they'll get out there. They came out right away. Customer service is superior. These folks are wonderful, been around since nineteen ninety nine. A plus with the Better Business Bureau. It is a free inspection and a free quote. Quote We'll be right five one three, seven seven four ninety four ninety five, seven seven four ninety four ninety five find them online Fasten fast n fastenproroofing dot Com.
Speaker 2: Fifty five car The talk station, sometimes weary,