Speaker 1: This is Financial Issues, where we help you defund darkness and fund the light by investing with biblical integrity. Folks, great to have you on this winning Wednesday. Also, if you missed Mark's commentary this past week, which if you're not a partner, you certainly did, and you should become one, and then you can get that commentary. We'll give you a little sneak peek behind the curtain, though. Glad to do that for you, folks. I'm Seth Udinski. Sam Case is in the control room. And your host, Mark Manilla, is here with us today as well.
Speaker 2: Mark, good morning, brother.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Winning Wednesday.
Speaker 2: It's a good day.
Speaker 1: Good to experience some wins here in the middle of the week, brother. Hey, the phone's 610-363-1110, folks. Give us a call. We'd love to hear from you. We'll get to Winning Wednesday in just a moment, guys. First and foremost, though, our topic of the day, I'd like to read a quote for you guys out of context and then explain what it is.
Speaker 2: The quote is this. It's the best way to quote something.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sam. And remember, you do not have to own something in every sector just because it's there. Now, that quote is from Mark's weekly commentary from this past week, of course. You should read it if you're a partner. You should check it out. Carries a great deal of wisdom, guys, for the faithful steward as we seek to honor God with our money. Mark, it does beg the question. If I have a large choice of sectors to invest in and I'm not invested in every one of those, should I be? Should I bite at every chance? So, Mark, can you help us navigate this? How should we prioritize which sectors to invest in if we have a large choice?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, diversification does not mean we're required to own all 11 sectors or 10 or 12 or 10. depending on how you divide up sectors. So my approach is much simpler. If we have a buy rated companies on the FISM buy list and in that sector, you're welcome to be in that sector. If we don't, you don't have to be. It simplifies it. Oftentimes when we don't have it in that sector, it's because we can't find anything worthy at that point.
Speaker 3: So if we.
Speaker 4: Can't find companies that need buy that meet our standards, I'm perfectly comfortable with leaving that sector empty. So I don't believe we have to own every sector is the bottom line. My basic rule is straightforward. Again, if there are buy rated companies on the FIS and buy list in that sector, then I'm comfortable investing in that sector. What we're looking for is strong companies first above everything else. We're not filling boxes on an asset allocation chart just.
Speaker 3: Because the boxes exist.
Speaker 4: Remember, this is to guide us in helping us find great stocks for you. The idea of sector analysis is to help us find the stronger sectors. Just because a sector isn't strong at this time doesn't mean there won't be a stock or two in it. Or just because it is strong doesn't mean there's a stock in there that's not way overvalued or that has the financial issues still we need. So if we can't find a company that meets our biblical standards or fits our needs, what I believe is a financial issues investment personality, which means it has the fundamentals we want as well as the potential and at an attractive value, then I'd rather just leave that sector empty until we are able to find those kind of stocks that fit a very strong, a very positive growth portfolio.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, Mark, I gotta say there, there are times where sometimes I feel like if I don't have money that is actively being put to work right now, if it's sending in my money market account that I'm wasting time and I'm wasting the money. But what I'm hearing you say is sometimes that's the wise thing to do. If there's not an option available, there's no harm in that, in that money sitting in cash, especially if it's in a money market account, it's making 3% while you're waiting for more sectors to rotate into favor. Am I understanding that correctly?
Speaker 5: Um, No.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Could you explain?
Speaker 4: Actually, sitting in cash is one place it could go, but it also could be divided among the other sectors. It could be put to work. Diversification. You know, one time I was talking with a musician. A musician friend and I were talking about music, and something came up, and I said, theoretically, music, talking about music theory, that progression doesn't work, but it sounds so good. And he looked at me and he said, theory explains the music. Music doesn't follow the theory. And the whole idea of sectors, of analyzing sectors and having diversification in multiple sectors is a way to reduce risk, but it shouldn't force you into more risk by having you invest in weak stocks. So when sectors go weak and the majority of stocks in those go weak, there's no reason to be in there. Let's follow the strength and put more money in the other sectors. Or it could be in cash if everything's overvalued or if everything's getting kind of weak. So, you know, there's weak sectors all the time and there's strong sectors. There's very few times that I've seen all the sectors that we follow the way we've divided it up that are all really strong. There are times and I can't ever remember a period outside of for a week or a few days that all sectors look bad.
Speaker 6: Your comment about the music reminds me of that famous quote, why, yes, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?
Speaker 2: Very important.
Speaker 6: So one of my questions, though, is we have a couple of weak sectors right now, and it doesn't mean there's necessarily no buys in there, but what are the weakest sectors at this moment, and why are they weak?
Speaker 4: What a weak sector is, the way I rank them, let's go there. That's really important. I look at the different sectors, look at the holdings, the securities in those sectors. Usually I find something to represent that sector in general, like an ETF that just buys all of the stocks in that sector.
Speaker 3: And what I'll do is I'll.
Speaker 4: Compare that ETF with an ETF in the other sector and actually in all the other sectors. So it's a relative strength formula that I use to figure out which sectors are strong and which sectors are weak. which ones are rising faster than the others, and which ones are falling slower or falling.
Speaker 3: Faster than the others.
Speaker 4: Right now, consumer staples, consumer discretionary, and real estate are what I would call unfavored. They're the bottom three of all the relative strength measurements right now. So that doesn't mean there's nothing in there. I have some real estate in my portfolio. because there are some good stocks in these. And again, remember, just because they're the weakest doesn't mean every stock in there is weak. It just means a lot of the stocks or the securities in there are weaker than, say, technology right now.
Speaker 3: So, yeah.
Speaker 4: Consumer discretionary is one of the weaker ones. You know, customers are becoming much more selective about where they spend their money. That makes sense, especially when you have Interest rates that people are uncomfortable with and the markets are a little bit, you know, the economy right now is going through a bit of a transition as this administration tries to strengthen it and win a war at the same time and balance those two. So people are waking up and being a little more careful. So it's harder to find strong stocks in the discretionary. In the staples, they're slower earnings growth and difficulty passing stocks. additional price increases from things like tariffs, from things like waiting for the manufacturing to come back to the U.S. As they're building the factories, they're not here yet as they're building them. And real estate, well, I think that we're just going through that cycle. Real estate remains very sensitive to interest rate and financing costs.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's not the only reason.
Speaker 4: We also have constructions that have fallen behind. There's all sorts of things. So those three seem a little weak. And as such, we probably don't have enough choices in there for everybody to say I'm very comfortable with this. That doesn't mean that money shouldn't be deployed at this time. The markets are still strong. So I believe that you would deploy that elsewhere, Seth, instead of just sticking in cash. However, as time goes on here, I'm seeing more and more weaknesses, little cracks in the market that I might change my mind and start saying, well, There isn't anything in this sector or there's very little, if you need to, uh, if you have money available that you wanted to put there, it might be good in cash or a fixed income, you know, like the Timothy plan, uh, fixed income ETF.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It makes sense. Mark. Yep. 6, 10, 3, 6, 3, 11, 10. Uh, Mark, what are some of the ways that we can identify strong sectors? Other than listening to the show, of course, and hearing what you have to say.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the best way, Seth.
Speaker 4: This is one of the reasons I spend a lot of time discussing sectors during the monthly partner call. I'll also address significant changes periodically in the Christian Investors Weekly Commentary.
Speaker 3: Those are two areas where you could get that. You can go out to almost.
Speaker 4: Any financial investment site and they'll have their sectors and how they rank them and stuff like that as well. I don't really expect the average investor to spend every day tracking relative strength in sectors or studying.
Speaker 3: Earning revisions or comparing. valuations. That's not what they want to do.
Speaker 4: That's why they want somebody like financial issues to go in, figure out, does this company, is it biblically responsible? Does it have the financial issues still we want? And does it have the potential we want? Having somebody else do that and then dividing that up into the sectors and doing that work for you is a real blessing, especially since it's not costing $ 1, 800 or $ 1, 300. are $ 4, 000 a year, but just $ 132 a year. That's why we do it for you, to take that off of you, because that is a lot of work if you want to do it yourself.
Speaker 3: But if you want to, we'll help you learn how to do that as well. The number here is 610-363-1110.
Speaker 5: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 1: 610-363-1110. Folks, listen, I can't emphasize this enough. Mark's commentary is such a good resource for you, and that's why you need to become a partner if you're not one. For those partners, though, please make sure that you have access to the commentary page. We send alerts out so you know that that commentary is posted, but nonetheless, great to save that commentary page maybe on your favorites on your internet browser there on the back end of the partner website. It'd be a great thing for you to do. There's a lot of great wisdom in there for sure.
Speaker 6: Let's jump back to that conversation, though, because I just want to know, I'm sure people are thinking, hey, Mark, this makes a lot of sense. You don't necessarily buy into a sector just because it's there. But what if multiple sectors are weak at one time? Isn't that going to leave big gaps in my diversification?
Speaker 3: Well, it could, yes, under ordinary conditions, perhaps.
Speaker 4: But, you know, there's always two or three sectors, almost always two or three sectors that are weak or what I call unfavored anyway. They're the bottom two or three of the sector relative strength comparison. So so it really doesn't concern me if weakness were to spread until the majority of sectors became unfavored, then we should probably be, we're probably dealing with a really, uh, weaker overall market. And at that point, uh, I'd already be thinking or discussing raising cash and reducing portfolio risk that way. The diversification equation would change. I know that might confuse some people. So let me take a second with this. If you're in a sailboat and you're out on the sea and it's just a nice, smooth, easy breeze, you have full sails up in a sailboat and you're cruising along. If the wind comes up and the waves start breaking, you pull those sheets down.
Speaker 3: You bring them down.
Speaker 4: You now start running on your motor that you have in the boat because if you kept your sheets up, it would toss your boat upside down. Under different conditions in the market, different things come into play. Asset allocation is there so when When there is movement in the market, such as moving from, as we're seeing in the last month or so, moving from technology into things like finance and industrials and industrial metals, things like that, you're already there with some stocks. It's receiving the money coming in there, pushing that up. As this sector goes down, these are coming up, and it's balancing out. That's the whole idea of how sector allocation works. When there are little to no sectors that are working, it is best to move to a safe haven.
Speaker 3: And that's when we start talking about dry powder.
Speaker 4: If you're selling something, maybe it's just put in cash or a fixed income or something like that. So the diversification equation would change in that sense. Instead of saying, I need exposure to every sector, we'd be saying, I need less overall exposure to risk and moving it to a safer, safe money position at that time.
Speaker 3: Did that help, Sam?
Speaker 1: I think it does.
Speaker 6: Just knowing that you're not going to have all these massive holes in your diversification, I think is helpful for people. It resists that temptation that you're just going to have to put a square hole in a round peg just because you have a round peg.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Sometimes proper diversification means diversifying away from risk, not merely spreading your money among 11 equity sectors to help reduce risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Mark, that leads to this question then. How do we keep a sound mind in tempering the innate desire? And I think all of us have this. We want to snatch up positions in as many sectors as we can. But how do we temper that desire so that we're not just jumping into every sector that might be available to us?
Speaker 3: Well, keeping a sound mind is easier for some than others. Let me just say that.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying anything about the question or the questioner.
Speaker 2: He's really talking about me.
Speaker 1: This isn't a social security conversation.
Speaker 3: I know that now. All right.
Speaker 4: Start remembering the key question or the key way to do this. Start remembering that activity is not the same thing as stewardship. You don't receive extra credit in investing for owning more stocks or more sectors. Every investment should earn its place in your portfolio. Ask, does this align with biblical integrity? Does it fit my investment personality? Do I understand why I own it? Is it fundamentally strong? Does it have potential? Does this improve my portfolio? If the answer is no to these, there's nothing wrong with keeping that money available for better opportunity.
Speaker 3: Guess what? You've heard about, you know, you missed the boat on this one. Guess what?
Speaker 4: The boats are lined out like the Hormuz boats. channel there just waiting to get through. There's always another opportunity coming in the market. Don't worry about it. If you missed one or you're not in all sectors or you can't find something there, just wait.
Speaker 3: There'll be something coming along.
Speaker 2: You're not missing the last helicopter out of Vietnam. It's not happening.
Speaker 3: That's a good way to say it, Sam.
Speaker 4: You know, and also remember 2 Timothy 1.7, for God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love.
Speaker 3: And of a sound mind.
Speaker 4: So keeping a sound mind means turning to God, realizing we're a steward, we're not a day trader. Our goal here on earth is not to accumulate the most money possible, just to do the best we can with what God has entrusted to us, and then leave the impact of that to him.
Speaker 3: Very good.
Speaker 6: One last question here. How long do sectors remain out of favor? Is there a typical cycling time, or does it kind of depend?
Speaker 3: There really isn't. There's no reliable timetable.
Speaker 4: I tried looking at that many, many years ago, see what kind of cycles there were, but I've seen from several months through an entire economic cycle to several days or even occasionally for years, and I could not find any rhyme or reason in it outside of That's the way the markets win. So I don't look at sectors as being cyclical in and of themselves of how long they remain in favor or not in favor.
Speaker 3: Anything can trigger it. That's the issue. Anything from from politics to economic conditions.
Speaker 4: To just meme stocks it can it anything could could change that sector remember if you get two or three meme stocks in one sector and they go through the ceiling that sector is going to change its position very quickly and then it's going to drop very quickly again too so Almost anything can change them. So we have to be careful about about chasing them. That's why we use diversification to begin with. But we also use our mind that says, OK, look, it looks like seven out of 11 are really weak. And the stocks in there are either overvalued or weak stocks. So let's start positioning our portfolio to to avoid the risk instead of just diversify it. That's the choices we have there.
Speaker 6: It seems like another example, you can't time the market, you can't time the sector rotations.
Speaker 4: Right, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good stuff, guys. Mark, thanks for your insight on that. Folks, listen, today's show brought to you in part by our friends over at Preborn. You can check them out at preborn.com slash FISM. Preborn is leading the fight in saving babies from abortion, and we're honored to partner with them. They're the leaders, and we're just standing by their side, shoulder to shoulder, holding their arms up. Preborn.com slash FISM. You know, guys, it is Winning Wednesday, and it's appropriate that we celebrate Preborn with this because we got a great, excellent show. win here in the fight for life. Sam, give it to us.
Speaker 6: In the state down of Oklahoma, the latest state now to take action against the trafficking and distribution of the abortion pill with a brand new law that started this month making distribution of abortion pills a crime in the state with penalties of up to $ 100, 000 and up to 10 years in prison. Oklahoma is now the 15th state in the country to criminalize abortion pill trafficking. Abortion, by the way, is already banned in Oklahoma, but as with all the pro-life states, the abortionists have been finding loopholes to make it stop. still be a pro-abortion state. This is meant to crack down on more of those. The only exception for abortion in Oklahoma is the life of the mother. Supporters say this new law will close all those loopholes down and, as a result, save thousands of lives in the process.
Speaker 2: So really, really a big win for this winning Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. More babies will be born.
Speaker 4: And hopefully the Christian community will come along, those mothers who don't have the means to care for a baby or don't have the education or the network that they need to help do that. And that's where Preborn comes in. They are an incredible organization that makes it easier for a mom to take care of that baby. They do it financially they help with the needs of the baby they they do it with uh through the ultrasounds helping the mom understand what life truly is and they do it spiritually those are those are three things that every mom really needs to be able to have the hope to raise a child and raise them in love i i'm so glad we could partner with pre-born.
Speaker 1: Yeah amen mark Honored to do it, folks.
Speaker 5: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 1: That is the number to call in here, folks. Mark, I'd love to give Jeffrey his due here with this question. So I think we might save Jeffrey's question for the other side of the break. But before we get to the end of this segment here, the markets yesterday did pretty well. It was a good day overall. The Dow Jones ended up up a third. Same with the S & P 500. The Nasdaq was up about two thirds of a percent and the Russell 2000 was up about half a percent. Unfortunately, this morning, Mark, everything's somewhat in the red this morning.
Speaker 2: What goes up must go down.
Speaker 1: Exactly. That's the way it goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I got up, it looked much better. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 5: It's you.
Speaker 2: You got up. I got scared.
Speaker 1: But again, Mark, I mean, oil is down as well, so that's certainly good. There is a hope that there is a possible deal in Iran, but there's been.
Speaker 3: A hope for a deal pretty much ever since the war began. He just said that out loud. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I mean, what else can you say but just laugh at this? You know, the question we've all been asking.
Speaker 4: The Senate did have a talk yesterday that went out on the air that very few people actually probably heard because the different mainstream news refused to carry it, but he talked about the economic war we're in with Iran and how we are launching the biggest part of it and how Trump himself has been calling leaders around the world and letting them know, you're either with us on this or you're against us. If you're with us, you'll share in the prosperity of America. If you're not, then you're with Iran. So it sounds like they're really amping up the economic restrictions that They're cutting off Iran from the rest of the world, and I think they're already feeling that.
Speaker 3: That's why they're.
Speaker 4: Starting to talk a little bit more seriously about getting something done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good to hear that, folks, for sure. Hey, once again, the number to call is 610-363-1110. You can visit us at financialissues.org. Make sure to go to financialissues.org slash watch as well, folks. That's the place to watch the show. You can also watch Stewardship Today as well, our brand new show. Not as brand new anymore. It's in full swing now. But if you've missed any of those episodes, go back and watch those at financialissues.org as well.
Speaker 2: It might be new to some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: If they've not watched it yet.
Speaker 1: Exactly right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good stuff, and.
Speaker 4: Good stuff on the asset allocation or the sector diversification. I think that if I was going to summarize that in one line, it would be.
Speaker 3: We don't need every sector.
Speaker 4: What we need is good investments in as many sectors as possible.
Speaker 3: Good investments is what the key is here. 610-363-1110.
Speaker 4: If you have to leave us, sorry to see you go, but you could stay with us at financialissues.org, financialissues.org.
Speaker 1: Folks, number 610-363-1110. We'd love to hear from you. Give us a call, why don't you? Use those vocal cords that God has given you. Speaking of that, by the way, folks, we did lose a tremendous icon in the American country music industry yesterday. Dolly Parton passed away at the age of 80, certainly gifted by God with amazing vocal cords. And she was a professing Christian, so certainly celebrating her eternal life right now. But yeah, definitely a sad one there. She was Really just a really, really talented musician.
Speaker 2: American icon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, really true. So 610-363-1110. Mark, let's get to this question here from Carson in Massachusetts. He put this in our chat. He's saying, I would much rather buy one of the new stocks on the buy list. then limit myself to the ideal of the 30 stock maximum or so and only buying those same stocks again. The 30 I own may be great to continue holding, but I want new stocks that may have a better value, so I might end up with 100 stocks eventually as I buy the best at various times. Does this sound okay?
Speaker 3: On the surface, it does.
Speaker 4: If you can handle 100 stocks and you have a portfolio large enough to make those stocks have an impact. For example, if you only had $ 1, 000 and you had 100 stocks, you know, you don't have $ 10 in each stock. The impact from those stocks would not do much for you. And it's a lot of juggling to stay up on them.
Speaker 3: Now, I get it.
Speaker 4: You're a financial issues partner. So you get the alerts when we go to a sale. Or when we're concerned or when we start saying, hey, it's time to start trimming back, you can do that. But I'd be very concerned about that because you can diversify out to nothing where there is no impact from one stock or another because they don't have anything. They're so small in the portfolio, they can't really move. Now, if you have a $ 10 million or $ 100 million portfolio and you put 1% in each, that's a million dollars in each. So that is impactful. As long as you can juggle those, you should be okay. The other issue with it is getting over-diversified because oftentimes when There are new stocks added to the buy list. It's because they're in the industries and the sectors that seem to be doing the best because those are the stocks that end up with the financial issue, steel, and the potential. So you start getting overwhelmed in one sector or another. And then like the internet craze or the AI craze, when that starts selling off, you end up getting hurt more because you have so many stocks in there and you're not really.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Diversified, it's just you bought in all the new stocks that came on board as these started turning around.
Speaker 3: So you want to be careful. Carson, I'd say if he can handle it, go for it.
Speaker 4: Don't become over diversified to the point where you only have $ 10 in each stock.
Speaker 3: Trying to just buy the new and exciting ones.
Speaker 4: But it's often a good thing to just list all your stocks that you have and then do what I call relative strength, where you're checking each one against all the others and coming up what are the strongest and what are the weakest. And then maybe it makes sense to start trimming away the weakest ones and reposition that money into some.
Speaker 3: Of the stronger ones.
Speaker 4: And or finding stronger ones than your bottom 25%. That way it makes it easier for you to manage your portfolio. But if you're comfortable at a hundred, that's between you and God.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Mark Jeffrey's 58. He's asking a good question here. He says, I'd like to retire within the next year. And of course he has retire in quotes. I'm sure he's probably thinking I'll never truly retire, probably move from one career to the next. He says, one of the reasons I hesitate is I still have a mortgage payment and It's one of the largest fixed expenses I have. I'm still at least a decade away from paying it off. So I'd like to hear your thoughts, Mark, on some options I've considered. Should I refinance and reduce the monthly payment? Should I pay it off with my savings or my IRA funds, or should I just leave it alone? What do you think?
Speaker 4: Well, Jeffrey, I look first at the retirement cashflow decision, not simply the mortgage decision.
Speaker 3: One of the greatest things.
Speaker 4: You can do, uh, into retirement is reduce the number of people who have a claim on your monthly income, regain your stewardship.
Speaker 3: That's the goal.
Speaker 4: I like the idea of paying it off, but I'd also assume that retiring from your current positions means doesn't mean you won't ever earn money again. I mean, to me, retirement meant, uh, doing what I really felt called to do and not having a responsibility to any longer at this point, having being in a position to, uh, move into something where I feel I am called to go.
Speaker 3: Like, for example, I'm on, I'm here at financial issues.
Speaker 4: I get to do what I always wanted to do and teach stewardship, encourage people to honor God through their finances, including their investments.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So believe it or not, Mark's retired right now by doing this show.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: So don't assume retirement means you won't have any more income. In fact, I think if you have enough savings to pay off the mortgage without destroying your Emergency reserves, I'd still ask a very simple question. If you could afford to pay it off and there's nothing compelling you not to, why wouldn't you want to?
Speaker 3: You know i'd be much more cautious about using.
Speaker 4: The ira money at 58 though because the potential taxes in early withdrawal consequences another option is what i was just talking about is what i call well i here's another option And I call this one the self-destruct.
Speaker 3: Option for a mortgage.
Speaker 4: What you do is you set aside the monies to pay off the mortgage, but instead of paying it all off right away, in your case, you need some money that is not tax sensitive or under regulations from the IRS with penalties for the next year or so till you hit the age where you can start taking money out of it. But you put the money aside, then you have your mortgage payment automatically come out of that.
Speaker 3: And then when that runs out, you.
Speaker 4: Move to the IRA because by then you're past the penalty stage. So you set your mortgage on self-destruct that way. That would be an option as well. So, yeah, I think you have a lot of options. But the first question I would ask, if you can afford to pay it off, is there a compelling reason you would not want to at this point? Because you get rid of that, you recover all your cash flows. You're now a full steward instead of a partial steward for what God has entrusted to you. And I think that would be a beautiful thing. But any of those above would work. Only you would know because we don't have everything about your finances. We don't know if you have enough revenue to retire on. If you have a pension, are you going to retire on just Social Security and therefore you really couldn't afford your house?
Speaker 3: So there's a lot we don't have.
Speaker 4: I would review your options and take it before the Lord and find out which one you get.
Speaker 3: The most peace out of.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And Mark, just like you said, looking for a compelling reason not to. Perhaps right now, today, August 26, 2026, Jeffrey shouldn't pay it off like you mentioned because he's still 58. But Jeffrey, if you can wait a year until you hit that 59 and a half and you've held that traditional IRA might be a different story for you. Mark, that's exciting.
Speaker 4: God may simply be moving you from the work you have to do to the work you want to do.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. That's great, Mark. 610-363-1110, guys. That's the number to call in here. Mark, I'd love to try to squeeze in another question here, but we actually do have folks. I'm excited to tell you this. Of course, we have the weekly Ag Focus every week. Craig Halgard oftentimes will come on to our show. I love Craig. Yeah, me too, Mark. He's so much fun. He's just delightful. He's just a He's crazy in the best way, all the stuff that he does. But today's ag is actually quite interesting because the topic is less about what's going on in the ag futures and different things like that and more about some farmer safety protocols. And I find that very fascinating. So if you're studious, if you're teachable. Listen to this upcoming Agriport. It's going to be a great one. But while you're waiting, give us a call. The number 610-363-1110. We would love to hear from you. Again, 610-363-1110 as the markets opened up all in red territory like we talked about earlier, Mark. Agriport coming in, folks. Then we've got more financial issues on the other side of this break. Again, the number 610-363-1110. Here comes Craig, and then we'll be back.
Speaker 5: This is Craig Haugard with your weekly financial issues ag focus. And since it's Farm Safety Week, I'd like to address that topic today. Farm Safety Week is an important reminder that farming is rewarding work, but remains one of America's most hazardous occupations. According to the most recent U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers, agriculture recorded 476 fatal workplace injuries in 2024. That's up from the previous number of 453 in 2023. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health reports that in 2022, the agricultural industry had a fatal injury rate of 18.6 deaths per 100,000 workers, compared to 3.7 for all other U.S. industries. Non-fatal injuries are also a major concern. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health reports 21,020 agricultural production injuries that required workers to miss days of work in the most recent reporting period. 29% of them actually were caused by falls. Because many farms are family businesses, safety also extends beyond employees. Children and other family members can be injured simply by living and playing around farm equipment.
Speaker 4: In work areas.
Speaker 5: Farmers can reduce these risks by making safety part of every workday. First, equipment should be inspected and maintained regularly. Tractors should have properly installed rollover protection structures. Power takeoff shafts, belts, and other moving machinery should have guards in place, and engines should be shut down before attempting repairs or clearing out jams. Grain bins and confined spaces require special precautions. Farmers should never enter a grain bin while equipment is running or grain is flowing. Make sure to use appropriate fall protection and an observer when entry is necessary. Personal protection equipment, including hearing protection, eye protection, gloves, respirators, and appropriate footwear should be used for tasks that require it. Finally, farmers should recognize that fatigue, heat, weather, and rushing can turn ordinary jobs into dangerous situations. Take breaks, stay well hydrated, and communicate where you're going, and never allow children near.
Speaker 3: Operating machinery or hazardous work areas.
Speaker 5: In the course of my career, I've sadly gone to far too many funerals of friends who died in agriculture-related accidents.
Speaker 3: My hope and prayer is that all of.
Speaker 5: Our listeners are engaged in agriculture, that you return home safely at the close of each day. Farm Safety Week should not be a just once-in-a-year reminder. Every safe decision that you make helps ensure that you return home to your family at the end of the workday. This has been Craig Hallgard with your Financial Issues Ag Focus.
Speaker 7: The opinions and recommendations expressed on this program do not necessarily represent the opinions of the station or any of the program sponsors. Additionally, all products or services offered by the program sponsors may not be known by the program.
Speaker 3: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 1: Folks, hope you enjoyed this week's Ag Update. Mark, we've got Bill, 76 years old, asking this question. He says, Hi, Mark. We have a $ 100, 000 and a five-month CD with our bank that matured on August 20th. We have a 10-day grace period in which we can reinvest the money. So we're still in that period, Mark. He says, The fund income model appears to be a good fit for us. I value your insight regarding investing in this model or another model. By the way, you, Seth, and Sam, and fellow partners... You make the FISM show informative, entertaining, and most importantly, God-centered. Thank you, Bill. Thank you for that encouragement. What should Bill do, Mark?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bill, thanks for those kind words. That was nice.
Speaker 4: You know, Bill, I wouldn't let the bank's 10-day grace period try and trick you into just renewing a $ 100, 000 CD. There's probably not enough incentives in there to make you have to– Jump on this or lose the opportunity.
Speaker 3: If there is, I stand corrected, but most likely there's not.
Speaker 4: If you walked into the bank on day 11 with $ 100, 000, they'd probably give you the same deal. So don't use the closing lines that they use at the bank for that, unless there really is some great deal they're going to.
Speaker 3: Do for you on that.
Speaker 2: Get a free toaster.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I and you and that'll be available on the 11th day as well, I'm sure. So I wouldn't let that pressure you. Instead, the bigger question is what role this hundred thousand dollar plays in your investment portfolio at 76. If you want dependable income. I think you should want dependable income, preservation of principle, and relatively modest growth and modest volatility in your portfolio at this point. Unless you already have plenty of income, then you can lean a little more towards growth. But I'd be leaning towards an income portfolio. Even an income portfolio has growth in it. But I wouldn't automatically rule out some measure of growth exposure in it. So most importantly, you don't have to invest this $ 100, 000 in the market immediately. You could take it, put it in the money market, which would probably be very close to a five-month CD, or you could put it in a Timothy Plan fixed income type of ETF, which you can sell off daily or buy into daily, something like that, that hopefully... will have a yield between 4% and 6%. So no loss there either from the CDs outside of the FDIC insurance on it, the guarantee return, because the Timothy plan won't have the guarantee on it. So I would just take your time, maybe move it into your portfolio, and then take your time finding good investments, maybe growth investments, maybe growth investments with a decent yield on them as well, a dividend, and take your time getting that deployed and invested. It doesn't have to be in a week or a month or even three months. Take your time doing it. Meanwhile, keep it in some place where it's earning some interest in not being lazy money, but being active money for you.
Speaker 3: It's great, Mark.
Speaker 1: We've got a question here from William. He's in our chat from Mississippi. He's asking, Mark, a specific partner question. And I think this is a good reminder that if you're not a partner, you can become one at financialissues.org. But William's saying, is the best time or entry point for a stock when it first goes on the buy list? I remember that the advice to sell a stock as soon as it goes on the sell list is real. So basically, Mark, is the inverse of that true? As soon as a stock goes on the buy list, is that the best time to buy it?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a complicated question.
Speaker 4: And I'm going to just simplify it and say, yeah, I would think that would be the best time.
Speaker 3: There's a reason why it's going on the buy list at this time.
Speaker 4: It In general, it probably reached a point to where we're saying, hey, this is.
Speaker 3: A buy now.
Speaker 4: In fact, I'd hate to think that we move the markets because then we'd be in trouble. But when people start finding stocks, when one manager finds one, other people see they found that and it goes on and on. So that kind of thing does happen. But also, William, If as long as it's on the buy list, it's a good buy. Oftentimes at the beginning, when a stock takes off, it takes it has a like a catapult and then it slows down and then it starts climbing more strategically.
Speaker 3: That's oftentimes sometimes not so much.
Speaker 4: Sometimes, William, the discussions I'll have with other analysts, I'll be talking about the stock I'm thinking about putting on the buy list, and some of the analysts will be telling me, Mark, I think that's a little early. And what they mean by that is maybe it hasn't bottomed out yet, but everything's fallen in place. Finally, the valuation is where it should be, and it does have financial issues still. The balance sheet and income statement are in line, but it hasn't turned around yet, so There's not enough recognition to lift it.
Speaker 3: So you might be a little early and be sitting on.
Speaker 4: This for a few weeks or whatever till the market recognizes not only its steel, but its potential. So I wouldn't say absolutely, but why not get in when the getting's good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. Mark, Wanda has some EE bonds. She's got about a dozen a year and is wondering if she can get a better interest rate on them by rolling them into something else or by cashing them out and reinvesting them.
Speaker 3: Well, I noticed you used the year 1993.
Speaker 4: They've already reached their 30-year final maturity. EE bonds stop earning interest after 30 years.
Speaker 3: So, yes, you can do better.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: So your 1993 bonds stopped earning in 2023. At this point, I would not leave them sitting there and earning nothing. I'd redeem them and then reinvest the proceeds based on what you need.
Speaker 3: Your money to do.
Speaker 4: If you want to keep it that safe, then you could do treasury bills, CDs, tips, other appropriate investments. One important issue here is the taxes, Wanda, that you need to be thinking about. There really isn't a tax-free rollover from EE bonds into another investment. If you defer reporting your accumulated interest, federal tax generally becomes due no later than the year after the bond reaches maturity. So you may have some taxes to pay on top of this as well. But hey, what do we always preach here when you invest remember you're not just not investing for yourself first of all it's god's money god knew we had a government that taxed us so he also knew that part of this might be taxed as well so when we go into an investment we always look at and say unless it's in a roth and even then someday in the future it might be taxable but unless it's in a roth we have somebody else that takes part of the profits as well, and that's Uncle Sam.
Speaker 3: And we're not supposed to get upset about that.
Speaker 4: We're not supposed to worry about it because God already knew that was part of his plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good stuff there. Wanda, I hope that can help you. Karen Mark is in our chat from Kansas. She's wondering, is a TOD, a transfer on death deed, a good way to leave land and house to children? That's a good question.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Mark?
Speaker 4: I've heard many attorneys say yes, absolutely, to that. Anytime you can put a transfer, uh, on a deed on a certificate, uh, then it's a good idea. It's the same with a car. If you can put a, uh, a transfer on death or on there, then it avoids probate. So you're not paying that does not get calculated in the probate class.
Speaker 3: So it avoids probate and immediately goes to that person. They have to relicense it or retitle it.
Speaker 4: But, uh, yeah, TODs have always been recommended by financial planning and, uh, And attorneys, estate attorneys that I've worked with, unless there's some special reason not to, like special needs or there's a reason to leave this in the estate to go through, to go through the whole court process. So in case, if there's liens or different things against it, it could cause some problems that you need to get off the estate. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But in general, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good.
Speaker 1: Mark, we got Jane in the chat from Missouri asking, does FISM have a list of biblically responsible advisors? It'd be great if the ministry expanded to include advisors, although that could be an infinite amount of work for sure. But on the flip side, FISM itself is definitely an advisor. I was thinking of those who wanted to set up an advisor for their spouse when they themselves have moved up. That's a good question, Mark, from Jane.
Speaker 3: It is a good question.
Speaker 4: And right now, FISM does not currently maintain a comprehensive list of BRI financial advisors.
Speaker 3: That we have individually vetted and endorsed.
Speaker 4: And the reason for that is there's not very many people we trust that are in the financial investment world. There's not many, even those that claim to be biblically responsible aren't fully biblically responsible. They'll do it if you want them to, but they don't do it for everybody. So what does that tell you about their conviction about what they're doing? If they don't believe that they're representing the kingdom, because they'll do what, if you want to invest in abortion, they'll invest you in abortion. If you want to invest in biblically responsible companies, they'll put you there. What that tells me is that they don't believe what they're.
Speaker 3: Pushing right now.
Speaker 4: So there's very few who are what I call strict biblical responsible investment professionals.
Speaker 3: Very few.
Speaker 4: I probably could count them on one hand at this point that I know personally. There's probably more than that, but that's one of the reasons we don't do that. Oftentimes somebody will say they are biblically responsible or they'll say they're a Christian financial advisor or but they compromise somewhere along the way, whether it's what the recommendation to non-believers are. A strict biblical responsible investment professional would say, no matter who comes to me, I'll receive them and I will work with them, but I will never compromise anything. God's directives to invest with biblical integrity. So if they want my portfolio management, they'll realize that it will include excluding anything but those that do not offend God in any way.
Speaker 3: That's what it's all about. I also want to make an important distinction here.
Speaker 4: Financial issues is not an advisory.
Speaker 3: We are a 501c3.
Speaker 4: We are here for educational purposes to help people become the best stewards possible.
Speaker 3: Like you. God bless everyone.
Speaker 4: Thank you for loving God and investing with biblical integrity. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.