Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty. The Bill handles show on demand on the iheartradiop Laws regarding looting aren't nearly stringent enough. There have been many times and there are jurisdictions around the world where looters are shot on site. That's how serious looting is. And of course we don't do that. It should be looting should be a felony of at least ten or fifteen years, maybe twenty years mandatory ten years. It's that bad looting because that is the complete falling apart of society as we know it. And now handle on the news, Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle. Okay, just listening to my own promo, Cono. Do we normally run promos before the show? Either? I don't pay attention to.
Speaker 2: The every Day do we really? Yeah?
Speaker 1: She goes to show you how much I pay attention to this stuff. Just before I go in the air.
Speaker 3: The show starts always with a clip from previous show every Day.
Speaker 1: Wow, do you know I've never paid attention?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Maybe you're welcome, Cono. No, because I'm busy looking at the first stories and.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you comment. Sometimes I see you smiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I'm not smiling at that. I'm smiling about what I'm going to say. I'm smiling about some completely insane racist from Mark that I can't make, and so I have to smile at my own stuff.
Speaker 4: Are you not?
Speaker 3: Are you not attracted to them? Maybe you're not a promosexual?
Speaker 1: Oh? Not bad?
Speaker 4: Now it's horrible. Are you kidding me? That's all horrible.
Speaker 1: That's horrible, not bad, all right. Anyway, it is a Wednesday morning, everybody, Humpday, January fifteenth. We start the show, and we obviously have a lot going on modified fires. We're still in the middle of the fires and fire news. Hopefully fleet today the worst case scenario does not come out. So let me say a quick hello, Amy morning.
Speaker 2: Good morning Bill.
Speaker 1: Now, you may be wearing a sweatshirt that I have never noticed that has no writing on it. There's no Disney reference. Oh no, there is something written on it. I'm sorry. Oh it's the iHeart Media hoodie that they handed out. Yes, Now do you know that you can't actually either wash it or sweating it? You're aware of that because the color of the ink runs, because it's made in Pakistan by kids making four cents an hour and with the cheapest cotton that exists. You're aware of that, Okay.
Speaker 5: All right, I will just point out Bill that there are more days that I don't wear Disney stuff, and I think it's throwing you. I think I need to be on a roll because I think you get thrown when I don't have Disney out.
Speaker 1: You know, you're absolutely right, You're absolutely right. Oh, I've got to get Oh, you know what, I need another one of those that does I have one that doesn't fit, had one that I sweat in and to completely collapse. I'll talk to Chris about that. Oh, he has to get me another one.
Speaker 3: Oh, you can get discounts for iHeart stuff as an employee.
Speaker 1: They do that now. You know, there used to be a time when and Neil was in charge of this where we actually actually had swag radio stations hanging out bugs and T shirts and all kinds of fun stuff.
Speaker 3: When I oversaw the promotions department, do you remember in my office the whole back wall was shelves of stuff that I had to hand out.
Speaker 1: We used to come up with stuff. I don't know, Amy, I don't know if you were around, but there was an annual radio get together where all the radio stations would have sort of an annual thing where everybody would have booths and food was offered, and it was just great fun.
Speaker 4: They were fun like carnivals.
Speaker 1: Yeah they were. Yeah, that was a long time ago. And then everybody went out of their way. Every station went out of their way to produce some kind of crazy, clever swag to give away the year we won. I think it was you when it was knee pads with the KFI logo on them. Oh, it was very strong.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that was my work.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Hello to Amy Neil, Good morning, codo, good morning, good morning, and running around someplace going or there you are, you're behind you, good morning, all right, all right, but it's coughed. That's all right. You know I'm allowed to do this.
Speaker 4: There is literally a button that says cough on it.
Speaker 1: You know. Here's the problem with a button that says cough. I have always I'll take you. I've never used it because I've always assumed that two metal fingers or a metal hand would come out from underneath the encounter, underneath the desk and and grab me and say turn left and cough. Now, that, by the way, is a joke that not too many young people do, because that's how they the doctors would test for hernia. Is at one point with guys, you grab them by the nuts and turn around and cough.
Speaker 4: What was that ever? Medically?
Speaker 1: I think it was. I think it was. I think it was.
Speaker 4: I think it was real.
Speaker 1: I think it was a real medical thing. I really, how.
Speaker 4: Are you checking? What do they do? Are they raised? Do they drop?
Speaker 1: They don't know, I don't know. I've never had a hernia. I have no idea for sports physicals.
Speaker 4: That's still a thing.
Speaker 1: No, really, I did. I mean, but okay, see it's real. That's the real thing. Yeah, okay, So therefore the joke works with the cough button.
Speaker 4: Was it everybody or did they just do it to you?
Speaker 1: And did you pay? And cono, did you pay for it extra for the physical Okay, okay, we're done. Uh that's it. Onwards and upwards, And we're trying to make light of the mornings because there's so much crap news with these fires. So let's go ahead and start the news on this Wednesday morning, January fifteenth, with Amy Neil and Me lead story league. As Amy pointed out in the news this morning, We're looking at some very high winds coming down up to what seventy sixty seventy miles an hour, which is severe red flag insane fire warnings. And if a fire picks up, fire is ignited, it's not going to be fun at all. So, you know what, we'll do that throughout the news. Let's just move on because we've talked about it and this will be on a regular basis as we do the morning.
Speaker 5: Well, and this is related to those winds and the fires. Billions and billions of dollars is what the fires are expected to cost. New analysis from ACU Weather estimates the fires will cost California between two hundred and fifty and two hundred and seventy five billion, not million billion dollars a change that would mean that they would cost more than the entire twenty twenty wildfire season of the state, and more than last falls Hurricane Helene, which is estimated to cost between two twenty five and two hundred and fifty billion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy, crazy numbers. These natural disasters are well, I mean a good good portion of the budget, the federal budget is going to be wild natural disasters like this, and interest that it's going to be paid on the national debt, which is going to be a third or forty percent of the entire income, the entire revenue of the US government. It's a mess, it really is. I'll be happy that I'm dead and my kids and grandkids can deal with this. You known great here inherit the world. Leave me alone.
Speaker 3: The new president will make sure the money comes our way, as long as we call it from Pifornia. He once it branded well Well said sign Well said, it's going to be the Yugas State. Yeah, educators, this is horrible. At a Pacific Palisades school, it's the Palisades Charter High School. They're desperately seeking a large space where students can gather for lessons, and you know they're going to obviously have to rebuild the school and the severely damaged their campus. You've got a lot of students that are devastated.
Speaker 1: Now it's a charter school, three thousand students. I went to a high school that had thirty three hundred students and that campus was not small at all.
Speaker 3: I went to a school about twenty five hundred students and got kicked out and went to a school with about I don't know, maybe one hundred students.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The cool thing about the felons what yeah, we had bars.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was going to say.
Speaker 5: The cool thing about what they're doing is they're looking for that space so they can keep everyone together as opposed to you know, break splitting up all the kids, which I know Neil and Chris were talking about this before wakeup call this morning, about how a lot of these students are going to be you know, moved and might never see their friends again. Palisades is trying to keep the student body and the teachers all in one place.
Speaker 2: That's why they want that temporary space.
Speaker 1: Where are they going to find any place in or around Pacific Palisades they can hold three thousand people.
Speaker 3: They're looking at some place called the Persian Palace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. And they're looking at some other place called the Mohave Desert. Maybe that'll work. All right, let's go ahead and take a break. By the way, the Persian Palace is no more. You know that it is gone. It has gone by the way of history.
Speaker 2: But it got torn down.
Speaker 1: No I sold it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it still exists.
Speaker 2: Still a tourist attraction. O.
Speaker 4: Thank you guy that built the tas from Mahal dead.
Speaker 1: You know what, but stop that, stop it, Okay. Everybody makes fun of the Persian Palace, how big it was. It is not anywhere near the size that you think it is.
Speaker 3: Not even well, let's see you carry one. You could fit probably ten of my houses in there.
Speaker 1: Let's take that's not true, unless you call your ant farm one of your houses. We'll be back and let's continue on with handle on the news, all right.
Speaker 5: Providing protection for the most vulnerable. La City officials are looking to protect some tenants from being evicted because of the wildfires.
Speaker 2: There was a vote yesterday.
Speaker 5: It was unanimous that the city Attorney will draft an ordinance that for one year would prevent evictions if a renter has extra occupants or unauthorized pets that were necessitated by the fires. A lot of people are staying in temporary housing, staying with friends, that kind of thing. Under the rules, the tenants would need to notify their landlord within thirty days after the ordinance kicks in about any unauthorized pet or people staying with them because of the fires, which makes.
Speaker 1: Us sense, makes all the sense in the world, you know. So, I don't know who would be opposed to that.
Speaker 4: You opening up your house.
Speaker 1: No, okay, no chance.
Speaker 3: Group of residents impacted by the Palisades fire. They are suing the Los Angeles Department of Water Power LADWP leedging that the city and its agency was unprepared. This all focuses around much of the information that's coming out now about the Santa a Ynez Reservoir, that one hundred and seventeen million gallons water storage there, that complex part of the LA water supply system had been empty for nearly a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now this one gets interesting because they're going to have to prove that there would have been a substantial change had that reservoir been operating. It was right in the middle of the Palace Saves by the way, would have there been a change. If there is no change, there's no suit there.
Speaker 3: Saying one hundred and seventeen million gallons up against the three million gallons that they had would not have made a difference.
Speaker 1: Where did they have hold on? Where do they have I'm not looking at the story where they had only three million gallons of age.
Speaker 3: Three million gallons is what was made available to them, which is.
Speaker 1: Out of the one hundred and seventeen million were totally.
Speaker 2: The reservoirs mostly empty.
Speaker 1: Well this, no, this reservoir was empty. The other ones were not. So what you're saying is the all the reservoirs only produced three million and this reservoir had one hundred and seventeen million.
Speaker 3: No, that the water that was brought to the fires, right, it is my understanding. There was three million gallons that were supplied.
Speaker 1: Okay, that I don't understand because if you're saying that that only less than three percent of this reservoir was brought to the fire, that they only had.
Speaker 4: That was the complaint. Is that the woman what's her name?
Speaker 1: I don't by the way, and I don't know the.
Speaker 3: Woman that makes seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year that oversees the I can't remember her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's news to me. I would love to see that, because if you have one reservoir out of all of them that were used or the.
Speaker 3: Water supproximity of this reservoir would have made it the understood.
Speaker 1: But again they have to prove that that would have had a substantial use because you now have a fire that was such a megafire that was moving at such a rapid speed that they didn't have enough fire equipment that they couldn't pump it. Because even if they had the equipment, or even if there was equipment there, which there wasn't, it would have made a difference. You can't just say this would have done it, or this would have helped substantially. You need a lot more than that in an allegation, a lot more than that. All I'm saying is possibly, it could be. I don't know the answer. For example, the ignition of that power line where you saw the video of the power line. Uh huh, powerlane went, power line went down to Pacific PALISAZ. Theer's a video of it, of just the fire igniting at the base of the power line. Therefore, the power company is at fault. Well, the power company is saying, well, we don't know yet. What if the fire came to there. What if it wasn't anything they did and I just ignited near there. We don't know yet. But the assumption already is the lawsuits have been filed. I mean, without even looking it was kind of three days into it.
Speaker 3: If I was fighting a fire, a massive fire, the largest urban fire in California's history, and someone said, would you like another one hundred and seventeen million gaps.
Speaker 1: I understand that. By the way, Okay, incidentally, it was shut down, not because it was shut down. There saying it was shut down because the requirements for drinking water which they used out of this reservoir and they couldn't produce it.
Speaker 3: So there's because it had a hole in the cover that they didn't get fixed.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm not arguing. I'm not arguing, but they have to prove that if they had.
Speaker 3: That outsourced and for one hundred and some one thousand dollars and they didn't have it fixed in eleven months.
Speaker 1: So you're sitting okay, so you're on the jury. You don't even want to hear anything about whether it would have worked, whether or not. We don't want an investigation. We've made up our minds.
Speaker 3: Okay, one hundred and seventeen million gallons.
Speaker 1: Now here is my question. You are saying only three million less than of that. You're saying that less than three percent of this reservoir was the water that was brought to the Palisades fire, all those hundreds of via three percent of that reservoir.
Speaker 3: No, it didn't even come from that reservoir. They provided three trucks.
Speaker 1: I'm not arguing that. I'm saying that three million gallons were used in the Palisades. That's the water supply they had. Kind of hard to believe that the water supply they had in the Palisades would have been what, one hundred and fifty times more had they used this reservoir.
Speaker 3: No, I've got it have been about thirty five times. But I will tell you it's even harder to believe that a hole in a cover, well, that it took eleven months.
Speaker 1: That I am not, by the way, I'm not even if there is negligence, I don't understand. I understand. But even as there is negligence involved, let's say that they should have had that there. Do you even want to hear that it would or would not have made any difference? Or you've already decided that it would make all the difference in the world.
Speaker 4: Mister Jerry, I don't know how.
Speaker 3: I don't know how one hundred and seventy, your honor, one hundred and seventeen million gallons, you're right, would not have helped a fire.
Speaker 1: Neil, You're absolutely right. So, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you are not to consider whether that would have made a difference or not. That is off the table. All you do is listen to what Neil said and listen to no investigation.
Speaker 3: Now and now they will prove how one hundred and seventeen million extra gallons of anti fire liquid.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't have helped.
Speaker 1: Well, you have a fire that's moving at one hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 4: Doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: We've had it doesn't matter, Okay, Neil lay By the way, I want to point out something that Neil understands the law far more than I do, which, of course he actually does, so do most of you. We've heard the show what we've Yeah, yeah, so anyway, seven, we should not do any I understand there should be no investigation. It should be done matter of fact.
Speaker 4: That is three of your MIC's side.
Speaker 1: Let me okay, before we take a break, let me ask you a question. Uh, DWP is being sued. Do you even give them thirty days to respond to the suit or do you just say not even a response.
Speaker 4: I'd say not even a response.
Speaker 1: That's true, Gallant, I understand that's the argument. All Right, We're done, thank you. The show is over. Neil will take over from now. It's it's uh Savedra on the news, coming right up. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 5: California priorities have changed just a little bit, maybe not permanently, but for now. For a second day, lawmakers canceled a special session hearing on the Democratic led efforts to Trump proof the state of California. They also lightly delayed plans to provide funding in response to the wildfires in La County. Democrats originally wanted the Trump related legislation in effect by the time he takes office on January twentieth, which of course is like four days wing.
Speaker 1: Not that it matters whether they file a lawsuit January twentieth, January fourth, or February sixth, It doesn't matter. So I don't even know why this is a big thing for the California legislature. They just want to jump on filing lawsuits against Trump.
Speaker 3: Like right now, Newsom is actually closing down every tanning spa in California so that Trump doesn't even have a reason to come here.
Speaker 4: That's how bad it's getting.
Speaker 3: Takeaways from Pete Hegseth's confirmation hearing, Boy was that good TV?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's getting it. He's going to be confisted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's basically had the votes he needed. But four hour hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday, very contentious back and forth. Democrats delighted him as blatantly unqualified to oversee the defense departments three million employees and eight and forty nine billion dollar budget, because.
Speaker 1: It was just it was typical stuff. Democrats screaming no, Republicans screaming, Yes, everybody has a political statement to make. I forgot which senator he.
Speaker 4: Held his own pretty well, he did a good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, avoid did he practice, Oh he practiced with those senators in these mock hearings, some of those the Republican senators. And it was but it was just a political statement everybody one of their fifteen minutes of fame. I forgot which of the Republican senators started with you are you are qualified to be our defense secretary? Boom? And now a diatribe about how the Department of Defense is woke and what Biden did to it, and just I mean, come on.
Speaker 3: Guys, did you see the story He's got this tattoo And there was all these stories about how the tattoo was was gosh, it was anti something or other. It was racist, or whatever. It's a it's a it's a Jerusalem cross. Yeah, it's a Jerusalem cross. And it was the same one that was on Jimmy Carter's the little pamphlet that they handed out at his memorial, and it was there was all kinds of stuff on social media on how it was Nazi, it was tied to the Knights.
Speaker 1: So we all know that Jimmy Carter was a secret Nazi. I mean that is going to be publicized like crazy.
Speaker 4: Well, was never a fan of Israel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, Pam Bondi is the one in the hot seat today. President Elect Trump's pick for Attorney General, Secretary of State, and several other key cabinets posts will be appearing in front of the Senate Committee today for those confirmation hearings. Senator Marco Rubio, who is Trump's choice to lead the State Department, and then, of course former State Attorney General Pam Bondi, who is his choice to be Attorney General, are among six names sent to get hearings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all of them, as we know, are Loyalty is first as far as the Trump administration goes.
Speaker 2: Isn't make that way with everybody though.
Speaker 1: No, no, it is not No, sometimes it is not. Sometimes you have presidents who put up people they don't even know. In Robert Reich, for example, Bill Clinton didn't even know who he was, but knew he was an author and knew he was a labor expert and put him up as Secretary of Labor. Madeline Albright secretary of the Secretary of State. So no, Now there's some that do and some that don't. My favorite one is Abraham Lincoln. In his cabinet. He put up his enemies into the cabinet and loved when they were fighting with each other and came to a census, and by the time his presidency was over, they all absolutely loved him. Particularly Edwin Stanton, who's Secretary of War is considered one of the great secretary's cabinet members in the history of the United States. Hated Lincoln's guts. I mean, he couldn't stand him, and they were enemies, and then when he was named Secretary of War, he came to love this man and idolize him. So historically, no, they made I made that all, by the way, just to make my point.
Speaker 4: That's all right.
Speaker 1: None of that was true, Okay, if it sound good, didn't it?
Speaker 4: Yes, this is a weird one, and I'm curious your thoughts. Bill.
Speaker 3: So, House Speaker Mike Johnson said that he's going to order the flags the Capitol, which you're standing half staff right now, due to the death of former President Jimmy Carter. Uh, he's gonna call for them to be raised for President elect Donald Trump's inauguration, which defies a White House proclamation, and then they'll go back after that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, he certainly has the right to say what flags, what flies on the Capitol and what doesn't fly, because he's the speaker, and it's more important for him to celebrate Trump's inauguration than it is to memorialize Jimmy Carter. Is just that simple. And so it's again it's politicizing. Everything is political. Why would you you know you were in the middle of national congressional mourning for a president who has just died. And this is the first time this has ever happened. But I think this may be the first time in modern history where you had a president dying within the thirty days of the national morning period.
Speaker 4: I bet you it's a conspiracy. I bet you.
Speaker 3: Jimmy Carter, who would not die, died knowing just that it was coming close enough so that the flag would be half mass during the inauguration.
Speaker 1: Well, Ruth Bader Ginsburg died just to screw with the Democrats, you know that. But secretly, secretly she hates the Democrats. And so therefore instead of resigning and making sure that Biden put in uh someone, it was no, it was why Obama, that Obama put in someone, it was going to be a liberal. She died. Uh No, it was during Trump's first and administration. I have to get the dates. I'm conflating the dates, but the bottom line is, had she not died, there would have been a liberal. The fact that she did die at the wrong time made sure. I think it was either Gorsich was she was a Amy call Mey Barrett.
Speaker 2: I think not Amymy Barrett.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, Yes, that's true. Of all the people that are not Commy Barrett's, she's one that's true.
Speaker 5: Okay, how about a little tit for tat from the former First Lady. As you know, President elect Trump did not go to President Biden's inauguration. Well, now former First Lady Michelle Obama says she is not attending the inauguration next week. They didn't give a decision for or an explanation for that decision.
Speaker 1: But I think Obama's going to be there, George Bush and Laura Bush are going to be there, Bill and Hillary Clinton will be there. So I think a lot of it. I think I don't know personally, would I be there? Would you be there? After? Trump scorned the Biden in inauguration, but then again, trumpet claimed that Biden wasn't legitimately elected. So if I had thought that Biden wasn't legitimately elected, I probably wouldn't have gone either.
Speaker 4: Miss First Lady. It's her prerogative.
Speaker 1: Of course, it is everybody's prerogative.
Speaker 3: Chinese officials, obviously dealing with the looming TikTok band here in the US have internally discussed, apparently options including the possibility of allowing a trusted non Chinese parties such as Elon Musk come on down to invest or take control of TikTok's US operations. Who knows if it'll happen, but interesting like he needs another social media platform.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 5: Banning biological boys from girls sports. The House voted yesterday to pass a bill that would ban transgender athletes from women's and girls' sports at federally funded schools and educational institutions. During the last session, House Republicans also passed a bill same basic bill, but it wasn't taken it by the Senate, which was led by the Democrats. Now it's led by the Republicans, so it's expected to be taken up by the Senate this session.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a lot of LGBTQ animosity in the world today. But I tell you those people that are arguing this position, I think there's some legs there because someone who was born a man and then becomes a woman and wants to play in women's sports, there are physiological advantages to that now woman sports figure.
Speaker 4: So you're saying there's legs.
Speaker 1: I'm saying Delgates would say women of that ilk have extraordinary upper body strength.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting times we live in. Are they sponsors of terrorism or not? President Joe Biden is to remove the US designation of Cuba as a state sponsor of terrorism as part of a prisoner release deal, the White House said yesterday. So Cuba announced it would release five hundred and fifty three prisoners detained for diverse crimes.
Speaker 1: Incidentally, they're going to be removed as a sponsor of terrorism January twenty one, Cube was going to be brought back on the list and I'm not kidding either. Okay, we are done, guys, Phenie Feenie. This is KFI AM six forty live right here on KFI AM six forty, you've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.