Speaker 1: It's Nice Eye.
Speaker 2: Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Before we spent last hour talking about reparations for Boston's black community. Our guest was the Reverend Kevin Peterson, who has been a leader in this effort. And I think we will continue to talk about that. And again, I know that viewpoints are strong on the issue and that people disagree, but that's okay. That's what we do here in Nightside, and we can always do it in a way in which is civil, just as last night's debate was was civil between the Republican and Democratic candidates for Vice President, Senator Vance of Ohio and Governor Waltz Walls of Minnesota. And we may get to that a little bit later on tonight too, but in the meantime, let's get to more phone calls and exactly what we're talking about. Going to go to stup in Pennsylvania. Stu, you're next Nightside Welcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see Dan, and.
Speaker 4: I guess runs gone. I have a question about the reverend what what church and what faith is he from?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, to be really honest with you, I I could look that up. There's a there's a very vibrant, you know, a black church, Black churches here in Boston, which has been you know, active for for for decades, and so he is of of that those faith groups. But I'll again, I should know that off the top of my head. But you go ahead and make whatever comment while I look that up for you, go right ahead.
Speaker 4: Well is this reverend a black man or is he a white man?
Speaker 1: No, he's he's he's a black minister.
Speaker 4: Yes, Okay, Well here's the analogy. I mean, if you took a crayle crayon box, there must be fifty different colors in there. Yeah, and uh, I don't really see aces a black or white.
Speaker 1: By the way, just to answer your question, he's an ordained minister based at the Metropolitan Baptist Church in the Dorchester section of Boston, and he is a graduate of the School of Theology at Boston University, where doctor Martin Luther King graduated from about fifty years ago, well more than fifty years ago now, back sometime in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 4: Okay, what my analogy is is all colors than a crowd on box. They're not just black or white. And the people they gain their.
Speaker 1: You're busting stew You're you're busted up on me here. I'm going to ask Rob to bring your uh, I don't know, if you're in a bad spot, if you're driving, if you're in a car, and then we'll get back to you. I promise. Let me go to uh. Don't lose to and make and make sure he can call us back if we do lose him. Okay, Warren in Fall River, Warren, you were next to a Nightsacer right ahead?
Speaker 3: Hey, Dan, Yeah, there's a singing that like, if you keep on looking back, you can never know where you're going. Well when when you if you can never go forward, if you if you keep keep on looking backstand you know no, and it's you know, yeah, I mean it's you know, to put.
Speaker 1: Another way or to put another way. It's tough to drive your car when you're only looking through the rearview.
Speaker 3: Mirror exactly exactly. Yeah. But yeah, there's no one alive from from that error. And and I don't I mean, why should a person like myself be punished, you know, with my with my tax fair dollar two for something that I never did that I.
Speaker 1: Was not I know, I understand that, I understand that question. I think that is fundamentally the best question the reason that I thought it was interesting to have Reverend Peterson on tonight. Uh And and I just want to make sure people understand that is I've had him on before. He had an event at the Park Street Church here in the Arlington Street Church excuse me, in Boston, which is a church right on the corner of Arlington and in Newbury Street downtown, right by the way the public garden. And it didn't generate a lot of media interest. There were no TV stations that I could find that covered it. I don't think the Boston Globeal, the Boston Herald covered it. Only w b Z Radio covered it. And I just thought, hey, you know, they're making a statement. This involves Protestant, white, white Protestant churches in Boston, some very old churches. And he told me that the group not only signed this statement, these pastors signed the statement, but in addition to that, they had pledged a total of fifty million dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if the churches want to pledge that, that's that's.
Speaker 1: Fine, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was talking, but he was talking about going into like bonds and you know, tax payers, could you know it would have to would have to pony up and what would have to be done with that, and I disagree with that.
Speaker 1: And I think that if the City of Boston were and when we get to that point, I want to see the commitment of fifty billion, fifty million dollars. That's a significant amount of money. If if that commitment is fulfilled. It's one thing to virtue signal and say I'm going to do this, I'm going to do that. If that commitment is fulfilled, and then how is that money used? Fifty million dollars sounds like a huge amount.
Speaker 3: Of money, but it is a huge amount of money, right.
Speaker 1: But in Boston, in Boston, if you were to divide, let's say that there are if I hit the guests, just just say that there are one hundred thousand black people in Boston. You're talking about somewhere around maybe five hundred dollars per percon or something. I mean, I have to I mean, it's not a huge amount of money when it breaks down on an individual basis, and it's just to be interesting. That's the first step. And now if next five years from now, the City of Boston say we're going to increase everybody's property taxes, you know, to create a fifteen billion dollar endowment of some sort whatever. We talk about that.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're I mean, we're already doing that with the illegals, you know, you know, I mean we're our tax bills are going to explode in the next two three years because of what more Heally's doing apps And I mean, I mean, yeah, I see society bending over backwards to appease what happened with slavery and all stuff like that, and you know, with affirmative action and all these.
Speaker 1: Other affirmative action is a bit of an acknowledgment of past practices. I to be honest with you, I'm more concerned, initially momentarily about the influx of people who are coming into this country who have never contributed to this country in any form of fashion, absolutely, and are coming in here. We don't even know who they are. You saw those statistics last week, that Holding Insecurity release, which indicated that there were a lot of bad people. We knew there were bad people, but those figures are just astonishing. I'm very much because I think you're talking there about not just billions, hundreds of billions, trillions of.
Speaker 3: Dollars, Yeah, it would be trillions, and just one more point and then I'll let you go. You know, this reparation should have taken place right after the Civil War. Yeah, like if it was going to happen, that's when it would have should have happened, and you could have held people were actively doing that part of the part of the problem accountable. But you know, to like, I mean, how long has it been since slavery has been eradicated? Yeah? Yeah, No, one's eighteen sixty three is the sixty three, so that we're going on almost you know, like we're going over one hundred and fifty years. Yeah, absolutely, and so there's no one. Yeah. So again, you know, I feel I feel bad that America had slavery, but you know, you know, we you know, we've we've been society beens over backwards to try to appease it the best that they can.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think ultimately it comes down to a political issue, to be really honest with you. Yeah, And if a city of Boston, through its leadership, said we want to put fifteen billion dollars aside, that that is that's up to the City of Boston and their and their leadership. I mean, the I think the Boston budget is somewhere around four I think it's about four trillion dollars. The City of Boston budget, which includes obviously salaries for all the city employees and expenses. The state budget is about fifty eight billion dollars. And I hope if I said trillion, I'm meant to say billion. Fifty eight billion dollars. And the the homeless shelter program or the the the immigrant you know, right. The shelter program has cost the city rather the state a billion dollars last year, will cost another billion dollars this year. So absolutely runs into real money after a while.
Speaker 3: Warn oh, yeah, run in the real money.
Speaker 1: Billion a billionaire and a billionaire you got, you got some.
Speaker 3: Real Yeah, like a person like myself don't doesn't have. I mean, I'm scraping Nichols to get by right now. I had a lucky day to day. I found a penny on the street.
Speaker 1: I walked out of the gym this morning and right on the driveway there was a penny. I picked it up. I want you to know that I picked pennies up.
Speaker 3: Thanks one, Yeah, thanks, okay, thanks again, Dan.
Speaker 1: Talk to Thanks great. You'll get Stu coming back on the other side of the break. Just tell Stu make sure he's okay, coming back. I got George, I got Patrick, I got room for you. But this is the secret number six one seven reparations for Boston. It's different types. The first that we're talking about is some white Protestant churches in Boston. It would be very interesting to see if they follow through on this pledge. We'll certainly will follow that for you. And then Reverend Kevin Peterson, who was with us earlier. He is currently a graduate student at the School of Theology, Boston University and founded the New Democraties Coalition and the Fantal Hall Race and Reconciliation Project, so he's been very busy on these issues. To answer Stu's questions, Stu, we're going to come back to and you'll hopefully have a better line. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: We're going back to Stu. Let's see if we get that line cleared up. Stu, I hope it's a better line.
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Yeah, Dan, Well, as I was saying, I don't think all the money in the world would rectify something that happened through the ages, to all cultures, all colors, and then to judge people on two colors, black or white. If you look at a crayon boxer must be fifty different colors. And that's the way humanity is now. I'm not saying slavery wasn't wrong, but who sold these people to these slave ship owners that brought them over here? And by the way, one of the first slave owners in this country was a black man. I don't think money's gonna rectify this. This kind of reminds me of the church when they say, if you were molested by the church, we're going to give you money. Well, the church isn't actually giving the money. The congregation that comes into the church is giving the church the money to give to the poor children that were molested. And that's like a ring in a tree. That ring will be there forever.
Speaker 1: No, it's absolutely true. And by the way, that whole crisis in Boston was the center, the epicenter in many respects of that horrific abuse that that has incredibly damaged the Catholic Church in Boston. It's just incredible to realize the damage that that was done, and that not only was it done by the the aberrant priests. But it also was there was a cover up, which is even worse than you know, as they always say, the cover up is worse than the crime. Well, I can't imagine any crime being worse than molesting kids. But I used to see that the leaders of the Catholic church in Boston at the time did not say, bring those priests in here. They moved them around from Paris to Paris. Bring those priests in here. I want to rip their calls.
Speaker 4: The biggest crime it is, and all the money in the world's not going to rectify that. It's a ring and a tree, and that ring will be there forever. People should start getting back to judging people by their soul, not by color. This color stuff is just going to divide us. So I see it as a tool to keep the people divided. And this is going to create more division. And that's what some people in power what they want.
Speaker 1: To Stu you've called before. I happen to agree with you that part of this is to split us up. And you've heard me say many times that the countries around the world that we need to be worried about, like the Irans and the Chinas and Russia, They don't care what your races, they don't care what your background is, your ethnicity, they don't care what your level of education is, they don't care what your gender is, what your sexual preference is. They hate everyone who are Americans. And unless we start to understand that we have not been together as a country, with a few exceptions when nine to eleven occurred, we were good for about a month, but then we splintered again. We're a splincht society right now and we've been that way for decades.
Speaker 4: And they like it that way. They want the people divided. And it's the old statement and united we stand. And what are we standing against? Uh? Tyranny? And that's why our founders came here and gave us freedom of speech first and then second, if the tyranny did not stop, we had a way to protect and defend our unalienable rights which superseded the Pope, the Bishop, the Queen, the king and people in Lord Octon's power. So, uh, you know, I don't see this as being the answer. The answer is not money.
Speaker 1: Okay, sir, Stu you got it in and the and the phone is remarkably good right now, So thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: You met to have a good night.
Speaker 1: Then you do, Stu, keep calling the show. Okay, I like you thoughts, thank you very much. Okay, let me get one more in here before we got to go to break Patrick and Charlestown. Patrick, I do not want you to have to wait through the news. You and next one, I said.
Speaker 4: Hey, I don't.
Speaker 6: So, just a couple of issues if if you're limited all the time.
Speaker 5: Number one was.
Speaker 1: We got a few we got a few minutes. I'm not gonna I'm not cutting you off.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 1: I just didn't want to have you wait through the news. On the other side, go right ahead.
Speaker 6: I get you, I get you. So just a couple of points I wanted to make real quick and then my main point. But number one, standing with all due respect to the Reverend Peterson, and I have much respect for you, Reverend Peterson, but you know I have questions about standing. Does this man have the right to speak for all people of a certain ethic group. I don't think he does. Number two, Uh, the issue of a full and final settlement. Does he somehow have the authority to sign off on this settlement permanently, once and for all, or is this going to be a continuing stream of pursuit of funds.
Speaker 4: I wonder, uh.
Speaker 6: Second, they said, he said that the church is third, they said, the church is consented. That's the same thing that they said about consent agreements agreed to by all municipal police and fire departments around the Boston municipal area, all around the rest of the country. Where you would get the Department of Justice to Suic City, and then the city would have one well placed person sign a consent decree, and now every single applicant who was of a certain race would be discriminated against pursuant to the terms of the consent decree as if they had consented to it. But as a matter of fact, is just one, one well placed person who is who is consented saying the church is consented. I mean that doesn't say the congregants, does it?
Speaker 3: Well, I think, well.
Speaker 1: The only thing that I'm what I'm let me just respond to that, and I'm not going to rush on time here, don't worry. The point is that if you happen to be a congregant at one of these churches, and the church decides, the pastor or like anything else, decides we're going to donate three or four million dollars. It's not going to come out of the pastor's pocket obviously contribute to it. But he's going to call upon his congregation, and it then is up to the congregation either to rise to the occasion or to object to the request.
Speaker 6: And that pastor and elite left wing liberal Yankee circles is going to be revered. He's going to walk in any people are going to beam, and he's going to have red, rosy cheeks and be so proud of what he just did, given away everyone else's money.
Speaker 1: Well, but again he has to get he has to get the We're talking about substantial money here. We're talking about fifty million dollars. This is not the church making one thousand dollars contribution, which is nothing more than virtual signaling. This is a pastor really putting his name in reputation and his standing as the head of this congregation. And a lot of those churches, they may have people who are going to say, whoa wait a second there, you know. So it's it's interesting, it's I think it's a very interesting, small key political question as to how these churches will respond. I mean, maybe everybody in the congregation sits there and say and nods their head.
Speaker 5: Maybe not if I may.
Speaker 6: I just want to say this too. I mean, I don't know. The gentleman's well spoken, he seems like seems like a very intelligent guy. But I did look up his background and he's a student at Boston University. He's on the page for the Center for Anti Racist Research, which was headed by Ibram X. Kendy, who was given fifty million dollars in twenty twenty and which has gone undergone. And it's amazing it happens to be fifty There's several sources. One says forty million, one says fifty fifty million dollars, which apparently they've had a massive problems managing and they had to lay off nineteen people just several years later.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think there's been some questions where where the money went, what it was used for. It's one of the reasons that I, as a graduate of Boston University Law School, have have not contributed to my law school in a long time.
Speaker 6: At least ten fifty million dollars down the drains. Yet, how long is it going to take for Reverend Peterson to blow that down the drain?
Speaker 1: I'm just say, let's not assume that I mean Reverend Peterson.
Speaker 6: Assuming it, I'm asking a question.
Speaker 1: No. Well, but I think inherently the question, in honesty is that he will put it down the drain. I think the question would be, what how will Reverend Peterson as the head of the group if he does, if these pledges are fulfilled, which I think is an open question, how is that money dispersed by him?
Speaker 6: Look at the implication. Look at the implications for church attendees. Vermont's Catholic diocese just went bankrupt settling claims, and that is good, honest people who want to go to church and worship. Odd they have had their entire diases go into bankruptcy because of lawsuits and grifting and pressuring because money.
Speaker 1: Because Jesus bad leadership within the capitol there.
Speaker 6: Jesus, give us money, Dear Jesus, Please give us money. Dear Jesus, won't you please give us more money? Please give us fifty million dollars?
Speaker 1: Dear Jesus. Oh, the tell you, Patrick, I don't know if you're still a church goer. When I go to services at Catholic churches, I'm on the wrong side of fifty and I'm one of the younger members of the congregation that it's frightening to think that, yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, that's the destruction of the family. Then that's the destructive family.
Speaker 1: A lot of that there. I can remember as a kid going to you know, churches on Sunday or Saturday night with the family, and then on Sunday there'll be a family dinner. You know that that has changed. But the Catholic Church does have the additional problem of the petiph File priest scandal, and there was no willingness of the church to recognize that they were people in their employment, you know, priests her aberrant, aberrant behavior with children, and even when it was brought to the attention of Cardinal law and others in position of authority, they chose to treat this aberrant behavior as whiskey priests and sent them to just move them around from parish to parish. And all it did was it gave the aberrant priests a new flock of young children to abuse.
Speaker 6: Sadly, and I grew up in this city during that whole time.
Speaker 1: I'm well, well, no, no, I'm not lecturing you, not lecturing you, Patrick, I'm making sure that people understand that as someone who grew up Catholic still thinks of himself as a very imperfect, practicing Catholic. I'm appalled by what has has gone on within my church. I recently came back from Rome. By the way, Patrick, I led a group of nightside listeners on a trip to Rome and Mouthfee Coast. We were inside the Vatican. The amount of money that that is inside the Vatican, in terms of the artwork and the buildings, is astronomical, and I don't think much of those funds have ever been used for anything other than Vatican City, if you get.
Speaker 6: My drift, well, which the Catholic Church has fed a lot of hungry mouths, and it's educated a lot of people, I think, including maybe even you, so so.
Speaker 1: Wonderful things at wonderful hospital schools. I defend the Catholic Church, the history of the Catholic Church, but I'm not going to defend the way in which men became priests. The educational system did not recognize they were They were people who obviously had severe personal problems. They were pedophiles, and and and then even when they were caught in the practice of pedophilia, they were not disciplined and removed from priesthood, and they were simply transferred by the leadership in this di diocese to other churches.
Speaker 6: That's awful. That's awful. Last thing I want to make is I think Stu brought up a point, and he brought up, how you know there's fifty different Crayola crayons in the box, and there's there's so many people who have ethnic grievances, including Irish people who have been through who have been through untold misery.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 6: But but there's you know what in just in the United States, if we're going to start giving reparations, I think we then have an obligation to do a full and fair ledger of ethnic grievances. Like a good place to start Massachusetts would be to go through all our records and human resources locate every single person whiteer, Asian, or a man who's been bypassed for a job. We could do it. We have the technology.
Speaker 4: We put a man on the moon, we do what.
Speaker 6: We find each and every single one of those people and we contact them and now we have a ledger of ethnic grievances and all ethnic groups get to come to the table and all ethnic groups get to file their claims, but against the.
Speaker 1: Country, Patrick, and I understand the point you're making, But what this does it shreds US as a society of Americans, because whoever is figuring this stuff out are going to pit the people like you and me who happen to be Irish against people who were Italians, against people who were Jewish, against people who were Yankees. It would never end. But I understand the point you're making.
Speaker 6: You know that one last thing, one last thing, if you'd be so kind, I just want to say, my American African American brothers and sisters, I see you, and I acknowledge the suffering you've been through over the years, and I don't mean to disrespect that. I know how much you've been through, and I don't think anybody, anybody would down play that for one second. So all right, thank you for your time, Dan.
Speaker 1: Thank you, you've got You've got a good amount of time there. Thanks, we'll take a break. We're a little late for the news. Coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna keep rolling here. We're talking about an hour that we just conducted concluded with Reverend Kevin Peterson talking about reparations for Boston's black community. Where are we gonna go next? Let's go to George in Bridgewater. George, you are next on Nightside. Welcome?
Speaker 8: Yeah, how you doing?
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 1: Doing great? George? Thanks for calling in. What's your take on this?
Speaker 4: Oh, you're very welcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I'm wondering if the pastes from the white churches have already discussed this, the ones that have already signed, I'm reading that some have signed, and there are others that have not signed yet, if they're discussing this with the flock, because I think they do this make a commitment.
Speaker 1: You certainly would hope they would.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when they but I think when they start putting money in the box and and the pastor is asking for more money for reparations, I think they're going to be losing half of their flock. So I think there's some ramifications there that you know, if my I'm Catholic, you know that if my chair said, you know, you need to kind of double up on what you're paying for reparations for just blacks in Boston. We have blacks and Brockton to what about them, I would leave that church. I would I just because, like many of your colleges have said, we can't go back. It's over with and throw money at this problem is not going to fix it.
Speaker 1: Well, again, that's a point of view that I think is a legitimate point of view, and I think that that's a point of view that different people have pressed differently tonight, and it's something people need to think about. As they say, I think that this in theory seems great and justifiable. But we as a country right now have a thirty six trillion dollar federal debt that is a time bomb that is ticking and it will affect everyone. It's like being in a room where there's there's a hand grenade in which someone has pulled the pin. Nobody is going to be unimpacted by that hand grenade unless they get out of the room.
Speaker 8: Well, you were sinuating what the pastor wants to do here in Boston will go country wide and we'll add more to our debt. Obviously, I read today between fifteen and twenty two trillion dollars.
Speaker 4: You know, if we was to pay.
Speaker 8: Reparations for slavery, that.
Speaker 1: Would be that would be nationally I assume, but yeah, maybe, I mean, I don't know. What I'm saying is that that if we want to talk about I don't know how we pay off our national debt. I mean, can you imagine having a debt on your credit card which is maybe one hundred and fifty percent of your salary? Would you think, Let's assume you make seventy thousand dollars and you have one hundred thousand dollars in credit card debt, and you have no idea how are you going to pay that off? You got to live on your money, you have to eat, you have to pay rent, you have to pay a mortgage or whatever. You cannot pay that down once it gets to that point. I don't know how we are ever going to pay down our federal debt. And by the way, that is owed by every American citizen of black, white, all sorts of backgrounds, whatever their gender is. That's something that everybody should be concerned about, but we're not.
Speaker 4: You know, it's right, Well, you know I did.
Speaker 8: I did the numbers, you know, on fifty million, and there's one hundred and fifty thousand blacks in just Boston, which I think you know would not make the Broncton Blacks too happy that would come out to be three hundred and thirty dollars. I think that's an insult.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you know the total.
Speaker 1: It sounds like great, fifty million dollars, but it's three hundred and thirty million dollars. It's a it's a couple of restaurant meals.
Speaker 8: You had a great show with the Reverence before on the fanual haul Hall. You know, it was him and three other passes that changed himself to the door with one hundred and fifty thousand blacks in Boston. He couldn't round up anymore. This guy is looking for his five minutes of the fame. I really, I really don't.
Speaker 1: Know what do do me a favorite? Since he's not here, don't don't criticize him. I have him on he he did an event, uh, and he's raising an important issue. And I think that if we ignore the issue, I think it's better to deal with it and have people consider it and go from there. And as they say, as these churches, I was pressing him a little bit on what churches. I wish he would have said to me, Hey, this church pledged ten this this church is pledged twenty. I don't know where the church will get the money, but maybe they have a lot of money in some of these churches.
Speaker 8: They're they're told they're going to have to you know, I'll stare whatever.
Speaker 1: Hey, George, always great, always great to hear your boys.
Speaker 8: So, my man, it's very great that it's nice to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Thank you, sir, You talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Tell your friends about nights. By the way, just so you know, tomorrow night at nine o'clock, we're going to have the great Joe Castiglion on the radio on the side, and people will have an opportunity to listen to Joe and also call in and uh and tell him how much they love what he has done for the Red Sox and what he has done for baseball. He is sort of the voice of summer, uh, you know, summer evenings here in Boston, and I'd like to think I'm the voice of some people summer evenings. But if you're a baseball fan, everybody knows. Joe costigleone forty two years as the Boston Red Sox announcement, will join us tomorrow night live on the show at nine o'clock.
Speaker 4: Thirteen years.
Speaker 5: I love your show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you man, doctor, your lady, Bye bye. We are coming back on Nightside. We got a break, I got Gary, John and Eileen, and we got a little room for you. If you want to give us a call at six one seven two thirty or six one seven nine. We can get four or five in and that'll be about it. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Night Side Studios. I'm dumbing BSY News Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go. This has been two hours of conversation, which has been fun. John in Boston, John next on Nightside.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Hi, aren't right? I'm okay, good, good evening. I will not be quite as eloquent. I'm afraid as many of your callers, but I must say I'm totally against this reparation business.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: I feel that society in general has been been creating groups or classes, if you will, of professional Uh well I won't say crib that's the wrong word, but professional victims, professional victims, you know, like this this happened. You know, how far back are we going to go in our history? I mean all of us are at one point. I guess we're avement type people. Knuckle dragons if you will. What does that mean now that we have to go that's how back in? And this sounds dumb. I number like re issue some kind of knuckled prevention, knuckled dragon.
Speaker 1: Prevention back a little fello. That would be a little ridiculous. I mean, but you know they have. Yeah, well I think you can. You can. You certainly are able to go back a couple one hundred years, you know, slavery, et cetera. So that's that's the argument that's been made. I don't think anyone's going to try to go back much beyond that. I mean, we were people arrived in this country other than the Native Americans who were here in you know, sixteen twenty or sixteen ten. If you're going to count Jamestown, which I guess you know we count Plymouth. The people in Virginia count Jamestown. So but guess what it's it's it's it's an issue that is being raised legitimately by people, and it's an issue that needs to be faced and discussed. I'm pretty straightforward on that. I mean, you just can't say, guess what, I don't agree with it, So therefore let's take it off the table. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I think it was a good conversation to in my opinion.
Speaker 5: Well, discussion is one thing. Discussion most the time is doesn't cost too.
Speaker 1: Much, right, but.
Speaker 5: The meaning of the discussion is rather ludicrous. I mean, fifty million right now and x number all to the other fifteen billion down the road, and what.
Speaker 1: About actually runs into some real money?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you know what was that? What is that expression?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this and that and then it becomes real money.
Speaker 1: You got it? You got it. Hey, John, you did a good job. I don't know. Have you called before? Is this your first time calling?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I called once or twenty four?
Speaker 1: Well call more often. You get used to it. You did a good job, Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: I had a little butterflies, but thank you.
Speaker 1: That's okay, they go away eventually. Talk to you soon, every great one. Okay, good night. Let me get a couple more in here, at least maybe three, maybe four. Gary and Woburn, can you be quick for me.
Speaker 5: Gary, you're talking about reparations of the pretrecherous parts of the victims. Still, yeah, right, okay, obviously let them do it, let them have a ball. Why all the person is out there? Are you older people who are men and women? Because I'm sixty one, you go there, you give you a dollar bill, a five dollar bill in the offering. Don't do it anymore. Let the churches suffer and decision. What made the wrong decisions? Now we're broke? You like that?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that different churches will approach it differently. There may be some well funded churches who will make a commitment and they'll follow through on it. There may be others who might have parishioners will say, wait a second, you know that's not what I'm coming to church. Well, you know, different churches may respond differently.
Speaker 5: Okay, last one is this. I'm just like a meet head on all the family. I'm an agnostic. I question the existence from court, but I don't reign on anybody's parade. I've said this before, and your own Jack HoTT, who represents your station, gave his own opinion. He said, everybody's old fashion in life. Let it continue. Let the church, the priests not be married. I say, let them get married, get rid of the tradition.
Speaker 1: A little off topic. We'll save that for another night. Okay, Yeah, but thanks man, Doug. Too soon a compelling issue. But for another night. Where are we going to go next? Let me go to fill in Boston.
Speaker 7: Fill you go ahead, Yeah, I just got the I just got those guys, Butterfly. Yeah. I came in later in this, but I just him, and later in this I'm thinking I'm in Ben. I wasn't a call. But the reparations, what about the reparations for the guys we lost the fight in the South and one in the considered a wall. All the white guys that died trying to get three big guys that we're trying to give money to. Why don't they find out those guys? Maybe give the guy the first black guy that a shot and the revolution of his name is Christmas something like that. Give his family money. You can pay him. You're a big he plays sports to get a out of credit. Always a lot of housing sports. But when you play, ideally, when you play baseball, hockey, little Devin, you play and after the game you you feel bad, you lost, you to and you win, but you shake hands, you walk away, become friends sometimes even when a bully picks on it. Sometimes and you get can you knock them out? You know? Then you become friends why is this ever gonna end?
Speaker 1: I think that in our society, in your lifetime, in my lifetime, it won't end. And I think that we are a shredded society right now. There are people out there who want the society exactly.
Speaker 7: But what's gonna What's gonna happen after they get this? It's like a blackmail. Wise, we're gonna never get rid of the stuff. Man.
Speaker 1: All right, Phil, you got it in. You called late, so I got two more.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna try to thanks.
Speaker 1: You get rid of those butterflies. You always do well. Thanks, talk to you. Let me go quickly, Joe and Belmont. Joe, can you be quick for me? Please? Dan?
Speaker 8: I think Reverend Peter said it is crazy if he thinks he's gonna get my money.
Speaker 3: I'm against reparations.
Speaker 1: All right, well i'll tell you. Can you give me three reasons why.
Speaker 5: You're for it?
Speaker 1: I didn't say it was for it, but.
Speaker 7: What's your opinion?
Speaker 1: I'm I'm I like the conversation. I want people to think, Joe. That's I'm not here to tell people how to think. I'm trying to teach them how to how to think. I'm not telling them what to think. I'm trying to teach them how to think.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was a pleasure, Dan.
Speaker 1: Thanks Joe, talk to you soon. Right back at you, Okay. I do have, thankfully thirty seconds for David in the north Shore. David, you're gonna assault shot. David, You're gonna wrap it up for ust. You gotta be quick. Go ahead, David.
Speaker 9: Hi, Uh, Well, I can't complete this in that short of time.
Speaker 1: You could say you got about twenty seconds, or call early, you called late, I got you in go ahead.
Speaker 9: Well, I'll just say, Dan, you made a remark don't criticize Reverend Peterson on the air, and then you said a few minutes ago, don't criticize him when he's not around. What do you mean, don't criticize I'm that's another.
Speaker 1: You can criticize someone to their face, but once someone's not here, they can't defend themselves. That's all.
Speaker 5: You don't like us to criticize what he's there.
Speaker 1: Well, you could be critical of his ideas. There's the difference. Listen to the show more carefully and I think you'll understand. David, Thank you very much, have a great night. Done for the night, Rob Brooks, great job, Marina as always all dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's why Pelle Charlie ray Is, who passed fourteen years ago in February, That's where all your pets are who passed. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them begin hope to see again Tomorrow night. On nights, I have a great Thursday. Everyone joke Astigli owned tomorrow night at nine o'clock on night side