Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jagonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services and Sure Your Most Prized Possessions kat z R two SA at iHeartRadio Station, PA good Aufternoon.
Speaker 2: Everybody, Welcome to Eye on the Ball here, Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jagan's aus got our guy Henry and today welcome to Monday. Slim Pickens today. No, I don't think we're all that slim, Steve, no dick fat pickings today. But we didn't have a second I don't have a second interview.
Speaker 3: We don't have a second guest. But there's still lots to talk about. The first college football poll is out. We talk about that. The USA Today Coaches poll is out. We can run through that a little bit. Okay, a little bit of a surprise to me in what I saw, But there's that. So then means we're getting close to Seve. We're getting close to football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three uh three weeks from.
Speaker 3: Just under just under three weeks right, a week two weeks from Thursday?
Speaker 2: Right, is that right? Two weeks from there's a game in England, right or something? Like that Florida State.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because there's that there's some games the weekend of the twenty fourth, So two weeks from Saturday, I should say, uh, two weeks from this coming Saturday, we've got some college football and then it really gets going basically in three weeks from this Thursday, when everybody gets started and the Arizona plays on the thirty first.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're getting there. Yeah, So this was I think we're practiced. Four it for you, Arizona say one two three one two three five Today they practice Today, will be five day, yes and Sunday Saturday off they played. They practice Sunday and yesterday. So progress, progress is hopefully being made. We'll see, we'll see what happens. We'll see. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, it kind of gets quiet here right because we don't I mean, everybody's seeing things and so you know, but you don't know what you're seeing, right, right, It's it's mostly about who's there, who's.
Speaker 2: Not, who's catching passes and who's not. Right, I don't in my mind, I know that Lev does his five things people big through observations, But what does August fifth have to do with September tenth? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But look for me, it's it's reading about football that's actually happening.
Speaker 2: That's why. You know, Yeah, of course I read that stuff and you stay tuned, you stay in tune with but more.
Speaker 3: Because I just like the fact that we're getting that close, that there's you know, there's guys on the field. They're wearing helmets and they're throwing the ball and things and stuff is happening. They're getting ready to play. That's why I like it in terms of, you know, absorbing everything they're saying. I mean, the stuff can change every day, so you know, you really take everything for what it's worth. Same same with the polls, right, all the poles are going to start coming out of the Epopole is going to come out soon. Everybody's doing their top twenty five and uh, you know, it's just fun because we can talk about it now. That's why I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and it's something for us to talk about. It's something to do since we don't have a guest in the first hour, so lit'tle better not repete on Henry's breaking news. But let's let's go there if you want to go there with the with the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the poll is out, Uh, It's funny because they you know, and and and as always happens, right, people start picking at it. I only saw that it was out because I followed Pat forty on on Twitter, and uh, I saw his posts saying that the apple that the USA Today poll is out, and he said, clearly, clearly a bunch of people.
Speaker 2: Did not do their homework.
Speaker 3: So so he was immediately ripping ripping on it, and and uh they put there. They came out with Georgia number one.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that I didn't read his story. If he wrote a story, I didn't read it. All I saw was that was that that he said, Uh, clearly, you know somebody, a lot of people on this who voted didn't do their homework. So I'm like, okay, so they didn't do their homework, So what do you what are you saying?
Speaker 2: And I did I didn't. I didn't go uh, I didn't go beyond that. But here I'll run it down. Uh.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things that he suggested was that Michigan was too high.
Speaker 2: Well, you're talking about voters, right right, voters. You you're a voter. I was a voter at one point, of course. I mean you're not gonna be able to see all the see the teams. You don't know about the teams. You get the magazines, right, you're guessing, you're guessing, you're guessing.
Speaker 3: So so here here's the here's the top five for to start with, you got Georgia number one, followed by Ohio State at number two, Oregon number three, uh, Texas number four, and then Alabama number five. So the of the SEC and Big Big Ten have all five teams to three SEC teams, two Big Ten teams in the top five. Then you go to Ole, miss another SEC team, then Notre Dame at seven. Uh, here's a littbus surprise, Michigan at eight. There's a lot to talk about with Michigan. By the way, if you've been paying attention to all the stuff related to the Connor Stallion stuff, But Michigan at number eight, you know you almost have to put the defending national champion somewhere up there, don't you.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the whole thing. I mean, some people are doing that just by reputation in that by even the way you asked the question, right, I don't know, I don't know, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: But then again, well, let me let me keep going down. Who else is Penn State at nine, Florida State at ten, Missouri at eleven, LSU at twelve, and then the first non sec uh non SEC.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I take by Florida State as the first non SEC Big ten team. Well Dame, I keep not really backing it up. Okay, Notre Dames independent at eight at seven, Florida State at ten, So you have to get down to there before you get to a non SEC team, because they got Missouri LC two more SEC teams in Utah number thirteen. That's the first Big twelve team. But then there's a run of them Clemson at fourteen, Tennessee fifteen, Oklahoma sixteen, Kansas State seventeen, Oklahoma State eighteen, Miami nineteen, Texas A and m twenty. Arizona coming in at twenty one, NC State at twenty two, USC at twenty three. Go figure that Arizona ranked higher than USC. Then you got Kansas twenty four and I with.
Speaker 2: Twenty five, so their second in the league.
Speaker 3: So they've got They've got Arizona third, So it's Utah, Utah, Kansas State No. Fourth, Utah, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and then Arizona.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 3: That seems about right. Bret McMurphy, who's a who's an AP voter, put out his AP poll and he doesn't have Arizona in the top twenty five. He's got five big twelve teams, but none of them are Arizona. He's got again Utah, Utah, Oklahoma State see Utah, Kansas State, Oklahoma State at ten, eleven, and twelve.
Speaker 2: Then you go down to let me see you get down.
Speaker 3: To twenty three, he's got Iowa State, and then at twenty five he's got Kansas. So he's got five teams ahead of Arizona there that it creates.
Speaker 2: A lot of debate, right, yeah, sure, and it's fun and there's so many, so many voters like fifty or so. Like I said, it's fun. Am I Well know those are coaches that those are That was the coaches, but that Bret McMurphy is an AP voter, so that's his apeopole.
Speaker 3: But the coaches have Arizona twenty first. So you know, I think I think in this in this the whole realignment thing has really changed how people are voting too, right. I feel like they're looking at conferences before they're looking at two teams, right, I gotta put I gotta put all these teams from the ACC, from the SEC in the Big ten ahead of everybody else because they're the two conferences that are making the most money and have the most players.
Speaker 2: And Yetta Yet yeahda, you know, I do. I think Utah is better than thirteenth in the country. I do.
Speaker 3: But then again, if cam Rising gets hurt, then they're not right. And people are looking at Arizona the same way. You know, they see no Flafida. He's kind of a small guy. If he gets hurt, in trouble. But who isn't in trouble if the quarterback right gets hurt. I did note that in neither of those in the coaches pulled nor and Bret McMurphy's pole.
Speaker 2: There's no sign in Washington. Yeah, there's not gonna be. Yeah, they've got to win. What's the over runner for five games thinking I think it was five and a half last week. Yeah, good luck with that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, but you know, the Kansas State Arizona game looming large, right, Kansas State is gonna be ranked, Arizona's ranked, and they're both ranked in the in the coaches poll. So that's you know, you come out of the box, you know, three games in and you got to play, you know, a ranked team at their place.
Speaker 2: That should be fun. Yeah, I think it will be. I like this, Steve, you know, I like this. Here's why I like this because Arizona's in all these conversations right about playing ranked teams and stuff like that. Yeah. No, And it's gonna be fun. It's an important game. It's gonna be different, it's gonna be fun, a lot of interest. I hope it's a lot of local interest. We'll see. Uh, it's it's gonna be Arizona the thirty first, is that right, thirty first, thirtieth, and then they come back again with any of U.
Speaker 3: They got They've got Yeah, they've got uh New Mexico on the thirty first Saturday night, and then they've got then they yeah, like you said, they come back, they've got NAU and.
Speaker 2: Then that that Kansas State game is a Friday night game. Friday night game. Yeah. Yeah, so it should be good and we'll know a little bit more in the first two weeks, not a whole lot. But then they go to Kansas State and uh, let's see We're already talking about if they go to and two, which could happen with the gauntlet of back and back with Utah after the Kansas State game, and those would be the two tough, supposed to be too hard game, presumably young. Look, I'm as you know, I'm the voice of reasons, Dave. Where are you at in Arizona football?
Speaker 3: Where I'm going with this is that I'm preparing the people I hang with my group who think Arizona is going to go ten and two every year you are, I'm preparing them to say, don't be surprised if far zone is two and two, don't lose your mind. The fair zones two and two.
Speaker 2: Have you said that to them? Yes? And what they say? A couple of them said, yeah, but we should win one of the two. Is what they say. Who are these people who are your friends? Well, a couple of my brothers. Well one of them I know is a couple of reasonable guys. You know they're they're former judges, right, Well what did they judge? They judged you and me, and they put a bunch of people in prison. Recall, recall, and then you know, just some guys that I hang with, Uh, you're just trying to make good graces just to case. No, I'm just you know, look like I said, I'm just trying to I'm just trying to get them to understand that. You know, look, those are the those are the two hardest games on the schedule. If they lose both of those games, all things are still possible because only one of them is a conference game, right, no question, right question. And if they play well against those teams, then I don't hope. I don't think they're gonna go in there and get blasted.
Speaker 3: I just I if you put an after my throat right now and said, what do you think is going to happen?
Speaker 2: I would say they're gonna lose both games, go to and two. Right, I'd say they're gonna go too and two and then who knows after that, And if they go three and one, then happy day for Arizona football fans. Right. I'm looking at the I'm looking at the wind total. So Washington is six and a half. Would you take that? Go under? You'd go under? Well, I don't know because I haven't seen their schedule, but I would go under anything.
Speaker 3: This is on DraftKings and Arizona on DraftKings, who I unfortunately got them at eight, are now.
Speaker 2: Back down to seven. Oh draft Kings. Yes, Oh, they're down to seven and a half on draftings. Well, I wonder if it's the team map the situation. I don't know, but they're minus one twenty at seven and a half because I did not know that. Okay, the over over seven and a half, it's minus one twenty. Well, I still think that's very possible, very double.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do, and I think and I do feel that if they if they get one of those two games, either Utah or Kansas State, that that seven and a half or eight is a really really good number becomes a really really good number if it's if it's if they lose one of those, if they lose both of those games, they can still get it.
Speaker 2: But it's going to be harder, obviously. I mean that's State in the obvious right there.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, Well, you know, I mean, look the by us on their schedule, By used it four and a half. I mean, you know, some of these teams that you think are gonna be hard to beat, I mean it's gonna be hard to go up to b YU and win because as we had great handsome on the show. Their stadium is gonna be full. They're always waiting for Arizona. They think Arizona always thought it was bigger than it, bigger than its bridges or whatever you call because they kind of get they got left behind in the Mountain West and they feel like, you know, they should have been long ago, and they should have been in the Pac ten a long time ago, and the Pack ten just wouldn't take them.
Speaker 2: So you know they're gonna be waiting for Airs. Well. A lot of the schools are living off the reputation, and sportswriters who vote on these things know about the reputation, not so much about what they have coming back. But they have losing. Here's one for you, New Mexico. But they're over under three two two. Yeah, that's a good number. They're not gonna be any good. I think they're over too. I don't know their schedule, but they have a new coach. They weren't very good last year. They're not very good. I wouldn't touch that one. Yeah, because you're gonna push at the very least. I don't like them when they don't have a hook on them. If they're not you don't have a point five because you push mostly because you can push for release.
Speaker 3: All right, God, worry to our first break. Hey, all right, no guests in this first segment, so we'll talk some more about this stuff. Lots to talk about, and then in the second hour we've got Bob McManamon, who's gonna cover the Cardinals for theirs in the Republic.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about Cardinals camp on what's going on up there. He's a columnists now.
Speaker 3: He's a columnist too, right. I think he said he's still doing the Cardinals, right, I think so, I don't know. Okay, well we'll find out from him, all right, So stick around for all that, then we'll come back with some more football talk.
Speaker 2: Stick around.
Speaker 4: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams, frowsy aisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a customer piece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise.
Speaker 5: Equickmax Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 6: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal at to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve Arizona Hound.
Speaker 2: Will lead it an exercise equipment On.
Speaker 6: Twenty second this quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 8: At Noble Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a arryey of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit volteteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five two oh sixet eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b k Ninez two nine four two equal housing Opportunity, How to commitment to Lyndrixyn credit rates and available loan programs or subject.
Speaker 2: To change with un numbers.
Speaker 5: Did you know sports cards that memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 9: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months, says a member, and you could win big.
Speaker 2: Watch your savings grow to help you reach.
Speaker 9: Goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more. Visit pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 10: That really insured and CUA gut bugs, termites, bees are rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Bar with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just Surgeon I on the Bar.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the here a Fox Sports fourteen fifty punch. Steve, He's Jay, We have Henry. We got fifteen minutes in this segment. Do you guys want to call? Please? Do? We're begging you two begging You don't need to beg but he would like to hear from you. Yeah, getting ready for the year. Did you get your tickets? We're still trying to get Desiree on the show to talk about all that, right, and another part of the other reasons, of course, uh, to see what the enthusiasm is like. We'll still awful.
Speaker 3: Quiet on all this stuff with their new entity, right the Arizona Media, Yes, property, Yes, I don't know sports product. I don't know if they know what to say. And it's not just quite on. It's all quite on all fronts. But I mean the things they've come out and said, Brian Jefferson is still going to be here right, right, But there's still not any kind of you know, plan, plan or a contract or whatever whatever's needed to set the organization as to what it is.
Speaker 2: Right Well, in fact, we saw David de Kelly last week last week money. Yeah, they haven't signed, Ye, that station hasn't set at least they had that as of last week, right, They may have done that before, so it's still out in the air. We have three weeks left. I'm sure even if they don't sign, I'm sure they're going to continue as is. Who knows they're shopping it around. Do we know we have our guys here. How much you have about five bucks in your bucket? Henry? Henry? I bought Henry lunch. Does he got some change in my give us a loan, get some change in my car? But yeah, you know, I mean, what what is it going to be and what's it going to look like? Because they've all heard the you know, a presentation of lear Field Sports. Well that's gone. That's what's gone. Right, So now what's it called Arizona Sports Sports Properties? There is, yeah, something like that. I don't Steve, you're doing a story on this, not today, there's no sports properties. I don't know, I don't know what it's called. But you know, but again, you know, we have you know, it's been kind of quiet on all that run. The only thing that has to have been quiet was football. Everything else we know is going on right now. Are you looking it up? I'm trying to. Yeah, Okay, it's not on the website anymore.
Speaker 3: It's called Wildcat Sports Properties. No, that was the old and that was the old Arizona Sports Enterprises.
Speaker 2: The building have you seen that? The facility they're building on Campbell south of Yeah, the media bears on the public media, so you know, they have to find place the old cave. They had to find a place to publish all these things. Equipment, there's a lot of things that I think that's part of it that they really we we've got to have a studio to get our guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's all part of it. Arizona Sports Enterprises a SE. Remember that a SE, and then we'll always come up with Arizona Sports Enterprises.
Speaker 2: But whatever that.
Speaker 3: You know, they've announced it, but they haven't really told us what it is, which is not alarming, but I'm I'm it's curious to me. Uh, it's curious why we still don't know what that is and and what it involves.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Here's here's why it's curious to me, is because it almost makes you feel like they really didn't plan this out.
Speaker 2: No, well, a lot of it has to do with money. I think they even took a shorter price on it. What I was told, or at least told from a third party, that they took less for it because they want to have it as their own. Could it could be true, could not be true?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So anyway, so we so we still don't know, and we'd love to get brand Jeffries on the show and talk about it. But I think, you know, nobody really saying anything until something gets announced, right, And.
Speaker 2: That's what we're trying to find. Yeah, okay, I'm curious. Okay, so you go to the games and you watch games. We know people who go to the games to listen to the radio. What do you think to cut down is going to games in person?
Speaker 10: TV?
Speaker 2: Radio? Oh well, I mean, you know more people watch it on TV just because they don't go to they go to the game. Yeah, so sixty Yeah, you know, radio radio is let's say a given football game. Okay, it's for people in their car, right, maybe people at work, you know, who can't watch the game. But if you're sitting at home, you're watching the game, you're watching it on TV. You're not listening to it on the radio. Unless you're not you don't have an ESPN Plus or didn't have a PAC.
Speaker 3: Twelve, you know, access to PAC twelve, then you're listening to it on the radio. But pretty much all the games run somewhere where you could see them, and then people who listen to it at the stadium. I take a radio and I put those guys on and I listened to it run in the stadium.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you're not alone too. There's lots of people who do that. Yeah, there's a lot. You see people with headphones, you know, all over the place. So there's a lot of people who listen to it that way. I think because of the the need to have an ESPN Plus subscription, maybe listenership on the radio goes up a little bit. I don't know, you know, because people are asking me how how am I gonna watch the games? Is that we got a good ESPN Plus subscription? How much does that cost? Let's ten bucks a month? I'm not paying that said, well, then you're not gonna watch games on TV. You're gonna you're gonna miss the you're gonna miss the non marquee games.
Speaker 3: Right, and maybe Arizona b YU people consider a crap game that goes on ESPN Plus and it's not on one of the ESPN networks. You know, that's how you're gonna That's how you're gonna watch Arizona NAU. Probably how you're gonna watch Arizona, New Mexico, Arizona, Kansas State is gonna it's a Friday night that's gonna be on ESPN. That's a feature game on Friday Night. So you're you're only gonna get some of the games. But you know, uh, get ready for streaming. Man, you're not gonna be able to channel surf like we always always did.
Speaker 2: A bunch of a bunch of people over fifty are saying, crap, I don't know how to do that, right O, Hey, get my grit, get my grandson to come in here and fix this for me exactly. But I think I don't know.
Speaker 3: It'd be interesting to know, you know, how many people are listening to the radio broadcast. Well there's also two you know people you can listen to it on that Varsity app so people from all over the country can listen to it. Well, so that you know, you pick up a bunch of listeners there because in their area, maybe they can't pick up the game on TV, so they're going to listen to it on the radio. And you know, I mean, if I'm if I'm that person, I'm watching a game and I've got my headphones on in one ear.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm watching a game. I've got my headphones on in one ear to listen if I can't. You know, So how many people are like you that you see. There's got to be a few. I know a lot of people. I feel like I see a lot of people with headphones at the games. I really do. But it's not like that. Is that? But is that like people who don't want to listen to the crazy music that goes on?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, because you can't you can't fly, you can't drown that out with putting on your radio. I just want to hear what what Brian and uh and Laman love it or talking about? You know, uh, you know, if somebody gets taken off the field, I want to know what their injury status is, you know. I get information, you know, as to what's going on. It's not because I want them to tell me what happened on a play. I hear the stuff in between, right, Honestly, don't think I hear their call of a play rhythm because I'm watching it. But then somehow might mind I hear It's very slight if you're listening to it, yeah, because like if you're listening to it on your phone, there's a big delay, so you can't listen.
Speaker 2: You can't be in the stadium watching the game and listen to it. On your on your phone.
Speaker 3: I have a I have a little tiny radio I clip to my belt and I listened to it on one O seven five and that or even I think I listened to twelve ninety because it sounds better for some reason. It's not by it not being in stereo. I can hear it better in the state. And there's the I mean, we're talking a fraction of a second delay. You know, if you hear the whistle, hear one whistle, you hear the other one right away.
Speaker 2: And that's the best way to do it. Yeah, that's the best way to do it. And that's how I do it.
Speaker 3: And like I said, I just pick up the stuff that they're talking about between plays, you know, you know, just to hear what you know, what their thoughts are.
Speaker 2: I like that. That's fun. Anybody else want to get into this conversation, please do, because I'm being bored with jays. No, not really, I'm trying to help out. Yeah you are you are you? Well, that's interesting because I would never do that. But we saw we have the TV, right, we have the TV monitors, and those were like seven to ten seconds delay. There was a big delay. Yeah, because by the time this is ready to go. The play is already going to start to set.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, you're right, because that when I've done stats, like for the Arizona Bowl, that's how we figure out, you know, the tackles and and all that.
Speaker 2: Kind of stuff from the monitor. Yeah, from the monitor or if you or if you miss something, you can look up real quick on the monitor. Yeah. No, there is there is a delay there. Yeah, it's a big one. You're right, But today you know, you neither here nor there. Okay. I'm curious though to see how many people have bought on or cut on or whatever joined in on the She said that was a big big but a month ago, a.
Speaker 3: Month ago, she said they had a twenty percent increase in new new season tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'd be curious to know what the season ticket number is. But it was so did you listen Did you listen to uh lamont and on myself? Last week? Probably not, which I know, I don't know. I mean, oh, it was a good show. Speak enough. I got to post the podcast. Never I was going never did do that? Did you do Thursday with I did Thursday Smith? Yes? I got to give that to her. Yeah, I did there. So he was talking about and I totally agree with him, and then you might too, the audience. And it's been like this for a long time. So the everason that doesn't or tries to do it, go ahead, go take this call. Hi, you're on the air and I on the ball. Maybe hello, maybe he hung up or she hung up. Calls back real quick. So he talked about there who does a pretty good job, or you know, the people that go to games, go to games, but he needs to find or like to see more of an audience the south side, the people who Okay, here we go. Hi, you're on the air and nine the ball. James, Hey, James, how are you. It's been a while.
Speaker 11: I forget how you guys do it.
Speaker 2: We're good, good, getting ready for football season. Can't wait?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I can't wait. I got my season tickets and it's good to see that Washington's on rings.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you're one of those guys I forgot. Are you still mad at him or what.
Speaker 11: It is?
Speaker 2: What it is?
Speaker 11: We're moving on. We're in the Pig twelve now and ready to win some big twelve championship.
Speaker 2: Do you have much of a thing for him than you did for Sean.
Speaker 11: The Seawn things a bit deeper because the U of a program it was like a for and he made it into a total vehicle once he was sell with the program. You know, when Fish came in, he took over a crap program and you know, elevated and then he just left us high and dry. So a little bit different feel for both of them.
Speaker 1: But just like both.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So James, do you like the over on the seven and a half wins? I'm assuming you do.
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, how many?
Speaker 11: I think? Nine?
Speaker 2: Nine? Okay, all right, James, we were just talking about listening to the games. You go to the games? Do you happen to listen to it on the radio and how do you watch games on.
Speaker 11: The road or or I listened to it on the radio end I'm driving around and stuff. But if I can't make it to the games, I kind of unfortunately I did the Lebron James thing. I don't know if anyone's ever heard of stream East. You can google it, but that's another way to get it if you don't have all these streaming you know, memberships.
Speaker 2: Ah, okay, it's free, it's free.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, it's free, but you know, might not be one hundred percent above board.
Speaker 2: I got you, got it, got it all right? So where do you said? I'd love to hear where you said.
Speaker 11: Uh, you know, I like you to be honest. I get the cheapest ticket because typically at the U of a games you can move around pretty easily. So I have the east side the upper but you know, anytime I need to get to a better location, I usually do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can, all right, that's it. That's a way to do it.
Speaker 3: You know we've all done that, right, you know, go or go sit somewhere up in the first quarter and by the by the second half, you're in the fifty yard line.
Speaker 2: You're a student. What do you tell so you you you're a big fan of all the sports? Uh?
Speaker 10: Are you?
Speaker 2: You couldn't be more pleased than what you're gonna have to see this year basketball wise, football wise. You must be pretty stoked.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's gonna be a great season, I think for the football team, the women's basketball team. It's going to be fun to have Duke in town this year for men's basketball. So it's gonna be good times.
Speaker 2: Okay, James, Hey, thanks for calling. Appreciate you. James, thank you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, take right out.
Speaker 2: So going back to the thing with the with the month, it's more that they need to chase the audience that they don't get, that they don't have, right, but they don't get and how we know the tickets are start part of it's gonna be takets so and he recalled it notthole gang, and you know that it's a long time ago. You were part of. It was I was in the not hole and it's been twenty years or so since that's been maybe even longer than.
Speaker 3: In fact, I did what James did. I'd go pay you know for not whole was five dollars for the season, okay for the season? Right, you were were elementary school in high school, I mean thinking into high school and would go get in the notthle section and they always had what do you call them, just monitors right to keep the not hoole kids in the not hole and then we're all trying to figure out a way to sneak out, and then we'd go sit in the regular seats somewhere cool.
Speaker 2: So get away from your kid, you're bothering, you know. I'm actually remember going one of the games. It was it was cold.
Speaker 3: But I remember we're going up and going to the It was the west side under the press box, and I was sitting behind some lady in a fur coat, and I'm like, we're man, we're in the rich people section now. And it was me and it was me and two other guys. We were just like, we're like fourteen years old and we're like sitting on the fifty yard line underneath the bread underneath the press box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty cool. So like the rich people just were were a fur coat to the game.
Speaker 3: That was back in the day, man, when people would get like dressed up and go to games and not so much like suits like you're see in some of those nineteen, yeah, forties and fifties things. Yeah, but you know, but people would get you know, dressed, that'd have nice clothes on and nice coats. And this lad was literally in a fur coat. I won't tell you what happened after that, but uh, you know, we didn't vandalize her, but there was an issue with the fat.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you've been the lazers two kids. She didn't go. She didn't let me just say, didn't let me just say it was cold, and one of the guys sneezed on her. Oh if you can imagine joy. Yes, I'll leave that alone. Hey, let's go get out of here for the second segment. I maybe we'll get another caller to all right.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, give us about five two zero, four, one sixty.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 10: Hi, this is formal.
Speaker 12: While get leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms in freewight equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with correct equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shureroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 7: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 1: Steve Rapera and Jacob Salaz they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports stage Chef Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I About here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, You've Jay give Henry get to in a minutes, hoping that anybody wants to call, please do five two oh four, one seventy four forty. So you want to talk about that, not Hill game? No, no, no, but I agree. I mean you got to go to places. The thing about it is prices. Have you talked about prices? I'm well aware. How do you find a new audience and you're talking maybe three thousand, four thousand people, not a whole lot who can go in, maybe spend a little money on a hot dog or soda or whatever, because then you get some of that there for good entertainment. Relatively inexpensive, right, I mean, that's the that's the big questions. Not relatively inexpensive. No, no, I know, And that's the whole thing. And that's how do you make it inexpensive? Uh, you make it inexpensive. Buy, you get your ticket, You get one of those clear bags. You take your own water into the game, especially these you know September October games. You know, you go, you go to Costco or wherever and get yourself a case of water and you take those. You go hang out at somebody's tailgate who will let you eat their food. Then you go to the game. That's how you do it. Cheap. I mean we do that.
Speaker 3: I mean we'll do we'll, you know, we'll we will take our own waters into the game because it's just it is pricey. Yes, you can take unopened bottles of water, you know, sealed bottles of water into the game with you, as many as you want. And so we do that, you know, because we always have waters, you know, in our ice shest at our tailgates. So especially these you know, these hot games, we'll take six or eight waters in with us. Somebody's got to carry those.
Speaker 2: But you know, you know, you have those clear bags that you're allowed to take into the stadium, and you uh, you know, you take those in and then for me, I me, you know, I'll just spend at halftime, I'll go get you know, nachos in a soda, and that's what we spend at the snack part of there, because it is pricey, you know, you know, maybe some dippin' dots or something like that. It's tough. I mean, it's tough. It's not it's not cheap steep. I mean those larger beers that you get, you know, you know, what did you get the Diamondbacks like seventeen.
Speaker 3: Eighteen I've never had a I've never had a beer or you know, a seltzer. You know what, I've never had an alcoholic drink since they've been serving alcohol at the stadium because it's.
Speaker 2: Just first of ones. That's not what I drink. You know.
Speaker 3: Look, if one of those giant beers, I can't drink one of those, right, And so by the time I get to get to and it's going to be hot anyway, So you know, I drink my beers and stuff, you know, before the game, and I go in and have a great time at the game, and then I'm sober to go home. I actually don't drink that much. I bet it's really sad Steve our group. I'll get a twelve pack of beer at the beginning of the year and we'll finish it at the last.
Speaker 2: Game of the season.
Speaker 3: Oh really, yeah, other people bring beers, rights, My twelve pack will last the entire season.
Speaker 2: No, that's good. That's good. You know, that's the good place. You don't have to go and say hi, my name is Jay. I have a problem because you have other meetings to go to, right, and I have other I have other I have other grudges and bad habits. Your time will be spread thin if you did that. So, yeah, I don't want to be scottis Cheffer. Right.
Speaker 3: Did you see, Okay, Scotty Cheffer wins gold? How many times somebody posted his jail picture and this is your Olympic gold medal winner and men's.
Speaker 2: People are stupid? Come on, people are stupid people people do that get their just desserts somehow. You hope, right, you hope, you hope it goes around, comes around on some of that. He but I mean, you know, did you say did you see? You know he was he cried at the nation. That was so cool. When I saw that, I'm thinking, I'm thinking, yeah, cool, And I'm thinking that's the significance of that type of deal. You're playing for your country and your you're playing for your country. You know it's not a three million dollar prize, right, But but you know this doesn't happen. I mean, yeah, we're you know, that gold medal is going to be right next to his green jackets, right, and and that's important to him. I think that's cool as hell. Who was the last time you credit an event create that event like a sporting event?
Speaker 3: Yeah, at a sporting event, I can't remember now as a result of what was going on, like on the field or like like.
Speaker 2: A ceremony or something or whatever. Whatever. Ooh, I'm going to say, I'm going to say I shed, I got I'm going to say I got tears in my eyes.
Speaker 3: Tears in my eyes. So I don't I didn't drop one but tears in my eyes. At the twenty fourteen you have asu football game when they won the champions Yeah. Remember it was a great ending, great great play. Uh you know they stopped to drive at the end of the game. I won the game, and it was cool because two things were going on that day. One that they won it, but we were leaving straight from there to go to Vegas on a trip, and I knew that winning that game was going to make our trip one hundred times better than it was going to be already, you know. So so that kind of I guess I would say that that would be the last time that I can think of that I did that.
Speaker 2: Henry, I don't think I ever. I don't think I can't remember when I have. Yeah, I'm kind of sentimental guy too. I just don't know. You're you're a grumpy don't give a crap about anybody. That's not true, that's not true. That is that was me, that was my image here. I can't remember though, maybe maybe maybe a great performance. I don't remember when though. Yeah, I don't know. You know, I don't know I could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all I can think of it. I'm sure I did that day, but I can't think of any other time. So yeah, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Once it's hard, it's hard to remember those type of stuff. It's just a moment that moves you, you know how I've been watching Did you watch a hundred one hundred meters lest? I did? That was so cool?
Speaker 3: And then and then it's funny because I mean, I think I was hearing the announcer, but it really didn't pay attention that he called the Jamaican guy did. And when he when my daughter and I were watching, when he finished, I.
Speaker 2: Said, it's we is in the United States. We want it, we hit it. I thought he won. I thought, yeah, no, Lyles won. Yeah I didn't. I didn't think anything. And it looked it looked like it was very definitive about it too. Yeah, and then you know, and I'm like, wait a minute, this guy at the after you know, the race had ended and they had an announcement and the guy's talking about how this guy from Jamaica one he said, I don't think he won, and then obviously what happened is well and then again you see people who post stuff and showed the showed, uh the the wire finish, and people saying, well, the other guy want or you know, people who complain the other guy want. Wow. People have a lot of time on their hands. They have the technology. What the well see I have the photoays No, that's incorrect. People have more time on their hands than anything, way too much. Well, not not just the time on their hands, but the the platform to go on and get a hold of sucking berg. Tell them it's not just Facebook and buttad uh uh now that he owns it. Yeah, yeah, anyway, but who's the butead? What's his name on Twitter? Elon Musk that butt heead? Yeah, then why did you ask? What did you just say? You have me to say, well, that buthead, that's the but exactly. But no, it was a great It was a great race. I did watch a bunch of the Olympics as I could, you know, you know, my moving my daughter and stuff. Some of the swimming, you know, I saw it.
Speaker 3: You know, the US men swimming was on the verge of not winning a medal for the first time, a gold medal for the first time in one hundred and twenty years. Then the sky comes and sets the world record of the fifteen hundred and wins it. So they get their medals, so they don't have that thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: There was all the simone bile stuff. I watched some basketball. I watched, you know, the women's basketball game yesterday yesterday morning.
Speaker 2: So I watched some stuff I wanted. I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I couldn't pull the trigger on it, Steve. But I wanted to take Puerto Rico and the thirty five against the us Men just because I thought, just because I thought there's no reason to beat them by thirty five, that Kerr would like try to get everybody playing and stuff like that. And I would have hit that if if I was a trigger on it. I think they won by twenty something.
Speaker 2: But they didn't.
Speaker 3: They didn't win by thirty. I know that they you know, Puerto Rico easily covered that, and I should have hit at that. I watched a little bit of a Chase Buddinger.
Speaker 2: You know the guy. Did he get limited, they got eliminated. Did he get to the he got to the knockout round? Oh okay, because he had something had to happen for you to get that. They got to the knockout round and then they got knocked out. Yeah, they were very good. He wasn't They weren't delayey Chanelle, are we taking all your your Just tell us to be quiet about it because guess what we gotta to We gotta get to that.
Speaker 3: We got to get to that. I'll just leave it there. All I said was her name, So nobody knows.
Speaker 2: But we can go back and we can revisit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't want to, but you know, just to pay attention to all that stuff, you know, it's kind of cool. I think I've watched more of the Olympics for some reason this year than I have really in the past. I watched all of the golf, right, I mean I got up at you know, I was up at six o'clock in the morning and turned them immediately turned on the golf on Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 2: I saw something that was interesting. So you watched a hundred meter and the guy finished last did you see this?
Speaker 3: Oh, I saw that stat he would have won, he would have beaten one at the year Carl Lewis won, right, was that what you're looking at?
Speaker 2: Right? I saw that times have changed? Right? That was also the year that what's his name, Ben Johnson was so Ben Johnson won it.
Speaker 3: Ben Johnson won it but then got disqualified. Yeah, no, I saw I saw that. It's yeah, I mean, it's just crazy, how you know, the advancement.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, of the athletes, athletes, the equipment of the surface, and.
Speaker 3: Yet the winner it was two tenths of a second off you Saint bol saying ran a nine to five something, these guys ran a ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why we talked about this while back, maybe about a month ago. The most unbelievable things you've ever seen. And then now who's saying boat running what he runs? Thinking? How is it possible? Humanly possible?
Speaker 3: And then there was another picture there's another picture close up of the photo finish right of of the Noel Lyle's hitting the you know, hitting the and there's a guy like, you know, five inches behind him who's four didn't medal, he got nothing, right, he was that close and didn't win anything. So you know it's you know, crazy stuff to see.
Speaker 2: To see that.
Speaker 3: I've had fun watching it, Like I said, I don't know that I have watched as much Olympics, uh uh in quite a while. You know that the track stuff, he's been very cool and and you know a lot of Again we've said it before, Dan Hicks really makes really makes.
Speaker 2: The swimming stuff. But did you see him? He's getting old and he's different than the kids we used to is he? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, Well then I wonder how old I look because remember we all had hair, dark hair, dark hair, and uh, those are the days. Yeah. No, he's yeah, he's he was a I think he was what did you say, six sixty two? I only guessing if he's between.
Speaker 3: Well, he's well, he was two years behind me in school. Okay, so he's probably teachers, you know from the graduating classyear is when did I graduate?
Speaker 2: Seventy seven seventy seven? I'm sorry, so I think he I think he was seventy nine seventy seven from high school? Yes, okay, yeah, so graduate from college in eighty one? Wow, okay, okay, forty three years ago? Four scoring well, okay, I was watching watching a thing last time at the CNN. It was really cool. It was a four part series on the year nineteen sixty eight. Oh, I was watching that a site, did you? I flipped back and forth? So I loved it. It was awesome. I watched what did you How many parts were there too? There was four and I watched. I watched from the early in the second to the end of the second. Then I watched a bunch of the third. Okay, that was the third, and then there was a fourth right right there was. I watched the third and the fourth. What did you get? Where were we gonna go? Just fascinating to me the time that it was well, okay, time that it was what And I was with somebody and I said, just goes to show you the same things that they were dealing with back then then we're doing right now. Race issues. George Wallace kind of kind of right, his thoughts the whole all the race, racial stuff going out, the stuff with you know, uh, African Americans feeling like not feeling knowing they you know that they were, yeah, they were getting the Olympics in sixty eight. Olympics in sixty eight, the assassinations, right, you know, I mean, we're here. I mean the more things changed, the more they remained the same.
Speaker 3: So you know, one of the things I was said to me when when when the assassination attempt happened on President Trump by former President Trump, Summer said to me, we just we don't. We don't try to win elections by killing the opposition. They said, yes we do.
Speaker 2: Nineteen sixty eight, you know, Bobby Kennedy was going to be the President of the United States and they shot him to death and and and changed his So, yes, we do do that. Yeah. No, I was very intrigued by all that. And then you had something that how much of that do you remember as a kid? I don't because it was only four. But the thing is you were the thing that you have, something that could bring the country together, and that was the trip of the Moon. The Moon, the Moon. And well it doesn't I mean it didn't. It did for a while. It did for a week. Yeah, it ended the year nicely. It's just so it's just the way things are back then. Nothing's really It was a fast and fascinating I would rewatch it just from the beginning, because you didn't watch from the beginning. No, they didn't. I would watch it again. I turned it on in the middle. It was it was when the when I turned it on.
Speaker 3: Uh, it was leading up to the Martin Luther King assassination and then the start of the Remember the Remember the presidential campaigns would start the year of the election, not two years ahead of time or you know, or as soon as the other elect the previous election happened. So it was starting, you know, the whole thing with you know, who was going to be the president and Nixon and all that stuff, and then the Bobby Kennedy joining the race and all that stuff. It's fascinating to me to watch all that. I do remember that because I was, you know, eight going on nine years old when that happened. You know, my brother had just started college. So when he went into all the college protests and stuff, he was he was a part of all that stuff protesting the Vietnam War. You know, his his and my my two my two oldest brothers, their names were in the draft. You know, they were in the draft. And Rick would not his name his birthday came up late. He would not have been drafted, but my brother Ed would have been. But instead he joined he joined the Air Force on his own, you know, so he was there. He was in the Air Force for uh I think, well, he was in the Air Force for two and then he was in the Air National Guard for two or something like. However, whatever it was, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I just know that he was in you know, he went to San Antonio for a while, then he went to Denver for a while, and then he was in the Air now Guard here. So you know, those guys, you know, dealt with that. And I remember my mom in tears when you know, the draft came up and you know her, you know her, her boys were gonna you know, they could wind up in Vietnam. More stuff and the riots, you know, in the big cities, all that stuff. It's just the more things to say the same. There were things they were blah blah blah. Just you know, the same issues. Yes, economy, same issues done differently, right, I mean we haven't had you know. One thing that you kind of see too is how old they were. How old they were right then, their wives, how old they just they look like they're old people now they're just old, but they don't they don't have old wife. I know that I was thinking that they don't have old wives, they have young ones.
Speaker 3: But you know, I just thought all of that, it was just amazing. And my parents, you know, they were they were very politically savvy. Let me saying, you know, they was important to them.
Speaker 2: Moments going on. I just remember my dad arguing with his his father in law, my grandfather, because one was Republican, wasn't Democrats? No, And because it was the Chinese was the China was nixing.
Speaker 3: News all that time must have been good. All right, top of the hour, We're gonna take our break. We're gonna come back and see what's left of breaking news with Henry